Image not available

640x480

sddefault.jpg

🧵 Change my mind

Anonymous No. 129581

As a man who had learned taekwondo for several years, I think it's only good if you are 7-9 years old.

Anonymous No. 129634

You can basically only "fight" other people who agree to no head strikes

Anonymous No. 129670

>>129581
I am a master bushi-note-ryu. It was aikido, judo and karate mixed. Taught at a shopping mall by a Vietnam airborne ranger. I have this to say. I was 12 teaching 40yo men in that school about the time I moved on. But I never stopped martial arts. I learned them all. And my original karate in that mall was a non-tournament school. There's only 2 styles of martial arts. Tournament and killing. Tournament being watered down killing. If you decide to take the path to it's ultimate stability, you will end up in nature. Taekwondo has 2 forms, the gay Olympics shit and killing. If you want the good stuff, you will accept that you will be a muderer to somebody's baby at sometime in your life. If you choose tournament, you will live with never knowing what REAL martial arts is about. Both have costs. Good luck.

Anonymous No. 130700

>>129670
how do I get the killing version?

Anonymous No. 130727

>>129581
tkd as a base is similar to karate, and karate has been shown to be pretty effective in mma if youre going for a more headhunting style with kicks.
i think tkd as a self defence martial arts work but you need to supplement it with some grappling, also its probably not as great as just learning kickboxing or muay thai where leg kicks are more regularly used.

Anonymous No. 130729

>>129581
tkd is a sport. it's like saying basketball is only good if you're 9 years old. you have the mentality of a sheltered child if all you can think about is le streetz all the time

Anonymous No. 130737

>>129670
Martial arts are inherently lethal, but why would you take the stance that you absolutely will end up killing someone? You always have the choice to restrain yourself and turn a killing technique into a restraining technique.

Anonymous No. 130860

>>129670
How does killing aikido look like?

Anonymous No. 131105

>>130860
You humilliate yourself so much that your opponents' ancestors begin to feel to feel the cringe. After getting your ass licked, a sound apology and a respectful yet unearned bow will give your opponent a seizure as the humilliation witnessed is simply too much for the body to contain.

Anonymous No. 131140

>>129581
And why is that?

Image not available

358x372

1672618006696514.png

Anonymous No. 131170

>>129581

what did he mean by this?

Anonymous No. 131185

>>129670
This is absolutely painful to read. You managed to include most cringey too-lethal-to use martial arts trope in one post but something tells me you aren’t doing this ironically. Touch grass my nigga

Anonymous No. 131259

>only 7 - 9 year olds can do high energy physical activities
Have you tried not being fat?
TKD is very fun when you have the physical fitness for it. It's a great sport and perfect as long as you can maintain a certain level of cardiovascular fitness and flexibility.
Might not be the best choice for 60+ year olds but someone in their teens and twenties can get a hell of a lot out of the sport.

Anonymous No. 131541

>>129581
Something is better than nothing and tdk is a good sport for health and fitness. But yeah not very effective on its own. Can be a good base or gateway into more effective martial arts however
>>131185
This

Anonymous No. 131564

>>129581
Honestly, I feel like any style that teaches you to kick higher than your navel is retarded.

Anonymous No. 131686

>>131564
Reals over feels.
You are just coping over your extreme lack of flexibility and coordination.

Anonymous No. 132309

>>129670
Is this the new Navy SEAL pasta?

Ain't nobody killing anyone with any martial arts, people have fucking guns now. MMA fighters are just all manlets that don't have the mass to seriously injure one another. Put a heavyweight fighter of any kind and they'd drop them in one punch and possibly kill them.

Anonymous No. 132436

>>129581
My instructor taught it alongside judo. He was an old Korean man with a more traditional background who taught hand-to-hand to the US and South Korean militaries in the Korean War and saw sport taekwondo as a tool for studying taekwondo proper. This seems to be uncommonly put into teaching practice but it more of a problem with broader societal values and priorities than with taekwondo itself.

Anonymous No. 132456

>>129581
It is literally the most trash popular martial art to learn. Learned it for years and now do BJJ. I regret every second of learning it and plan on forking over good money to unlearn all the shit techniques by signing up for a proper Muay Thai gym.

Anonymous No. 132573

>>129670
Reading this post gave me the same feeling I get after having listened to a boomer rambling for a couple of minutes only to realize that they've said nothing of value at all

Anonymous No. 133495

>>129670
this is true. I'm viet and I know this guy personally, don't fuck with him.

>>130700
ITF Taekwondo is probably your best bet for a "killing" version. Even then, you'd be better off learning kickboxing or muay thai.

I will add muay thai pretty much "counters" taekwondo. While TKD doesn't allow any grappling, muay thai lets you grab pretty much anything. A good sweep after catching will work on a TKD guy, since TKD doesn't train with it in mind.

That being said, TKD is very good for flexibility, as well as having a few flashy and powerful kicks. The back kick is very powerful, almost like stomping on someone.