Image not available

916x955

1671435077081.png

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ ๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 129787

I was a black belt in Shotokan Karate, hit the gym for four years now and nothing else. I want to get back into martial arts but an very unsure on what to do, and I don't know if I want to go back to my old dojo (my sensei was cool and all, hated sports karate and focused more on real applications and realistic kumite). I want some full contact shit but I am put down by the fact that I am 22 and never did a proper bloody full contact sparring, plus I'm kind of an introvert and I'm kinda scared of the possibility of others' judgment when stepping in a new dojo (I know it's cringe and dumb). What would you suggest? What martial arts should I try? I was considering BJJ among other things, even though people tend to hate it.

Anonymous No. 129793

>>129787
Most places have a free trial. Try several gyms of several different styles. If you like the coaches and the people and what they're teaching and you can afford it and it's not too far, do that one! lol. Try it all man. And don't worry you're probably not going to get judged, and also 22 is nowhere NEAR too late to get started. have fun bro! :D

Anonymous No. 129845

>>129787
If you want something new but still striking then try muay thai. Less chance of an injury like in bjj and usually easier to get into than boxing (cultural reasons). Don't delay

Anonymous No. 129869

>>129787

Kickboxing (modern unified/K1) is the obvious transition. BJJ will be like being a total beginner again.

Anonymous No. 129987

>>129787
I was in a similar situation having grown up with Karate that did some light sparring. I started with Muay Thai because striking was "fighting" to me. I started learning BJJ too because I watched YT vids of Striking Martial Artists vs BJJ guys and saw how helpless pure strikers become once it went to the ground. BJJ is fun because of all the techniques and getting a sub is very satisfying. One thing I'll warn is that it has a steep learning curve. A lot of it is going to be getting crushed in bad claustrophobic spots and getting easily submitted by people you'd think are much weaker than you. You'd finally learn a technique to get out of a bad spot and get immediately put in a new one. Worth it to me though. People will be cool with you as long as you're cool and have good hygiene.

Anonymous No. 131240

>>129787
I think a BJJ gym is where you want to go. Its very common for them to have other classes that are focused on other styles of fighting as well. Most of the BJJ gyms I've been to usually have wrestling classes, striking (boxing, kickboxing, and or muay thai) and MMA classes. Plus more adults tend to go there as apposed to traditional martial arts schools, its not a demeaning as a karate or taekwondo school where you show up and there's like a 10 year old with a 2nd degree black belt. Most black belts in BJJ have been doing BJJ for 10-15 years. And if BJJ isn't for you, you also have to opportunity to try out the other classes available, if your like the kickboxing class more consider going to a Muay Thai gym, if you like the pure boxing classes find a boxing gym.

Anonymous No. 131670

>>129787
> I was considering BJJ among other things, even though people tend to hate it.
Everyone here who hates BJJ don't train anything or are beginners
Every martial artists with actual experience knows it is legit

Anonymous No. 131770

>>131670
BJJ used to be considered this be-all end-all grappling style that could be a sole sufficient art for competition or self-defense. Now that the Gracie Kool-aid has been pissed away, some people are overcorrecting by acting like it's a all been a meme the whole time and every single BJJ victory in sport was fixed or a fluke of the rules. It's kind of the martial arts equivalent of people shouting "fedora!" if you criticize religion now.

Anonymous No. 132071

>>129787
>bloody full contact sparring
unless youre in a competition you shouldnt be injuring yourself in a spar, especially if we're talking about head injuries.
if you really want to spar harder, do judo or bjj. theyre common and any gym worth their salt spars relatively hard while still being able to be safe. grappling arts are inherently safer than striking arts and can thus spar harder.
>judgement
nobody will judge you on ability. everybody starts as dogshit.
its more sparring and drilling etiquette that's much more important: dont hurt your partners; do what your drilling partner asks you to do; dont be a sore loser, sometimes you lose against someone a lower belt than you and thats ok, you should be more concerned with your own abilities not your hierarchy in a club.
>people tend to hate bjj
who cares about what people think. do what you like. bjj is rightfully criticized because it heavily leans on 1v1 and they often dont practice takedowns, and both are true. all grappling arts are dogshit against multiple people, striking is marginally better. and bjj do neglect takedown so its good to cross train judo or wrestling. but that doesnt mean that bjj is shite in all cases.

Anonymous No. 132139

I'm mostly a Tai Chi guy but BJJ is great. At least in my experience, beginners are welcome and supported for the most part. If not, you have a toxic environment and should go seek another gym. At the school I went to, people came from all sorts of backgrounds, trying to rebuild themselves in some way etc. All sorts of age groups. Overall a good vibe.

If you want some hand fighting go with Muay Thai, boxing etc. Whatever you do I'm sure you'll have fun as long as you are willing to learn and push yourself a bit. You may begin to feel more confident after a while.