Smoothcomp
https://smoothcomp.com

Belt Checker
https://www.beltchecker.com

Previous thread
>>116778

What are your goals for this year?

Anonymous No. 131296

I am planing to cut my non bjj gym this year.
So for my workouts i will just do bjj, kettle bells shit, skipping rope, and pull ups.
thoughts? any tips with the kettle bells?

>>131188
goal for this go to sao paulo for bjj and get a chubby and mean brazil wife for strong kids also maybe abs? or purple a belt

Anonymous No. 131311

>>131296
Why do you want to come to brazil to train? Our bjj is so limited nowadays, don't even let me get started with wrestling

Anonymous No. 131324

>>131311
Too be honest my prof said he had a great time. Granted it was 5 years ago when he was there. Also he got married to my ideal woman, see first post. From what he told me there's lots her like in brazil.

but also it would be a cool xp. I have always wanted to travel but don't want to be alone. I was told the gym will probly help with that. they told him where to go and where not to go.

if thats not the case for the women or the gym culture of helping travelers please tell me

Anonymous No. 131334

>>131188
My goal for the new year is to get stretchy legs. Getting pressure passed right now is very painful on muh hammies and I don’t want that to keep up.

Best book I’ve found on it is Legendary Flexibility by Jujimufu.

Anonymous No. 131335

>>131334
What is the best way to measure flexibility progress? Also, what is a reasonable amount of progress to expect given x hours of training time per week?

Anonymous No. 131336

>>131324
About the women, i can assure you that brazilian women are the most hypergamic and unfaithful in the world, there are statistics and numbers that say brazilian women cheat the most, our dating culture and pop songs are all literally about cheating
About gyms, unless you are training in the top 5 most expensive gyms in brazil your instructors will have a full time job besides the gym and not give a fuck about their students dreams and aspirations
Ofc, you can find a nice girl who is different from the rest and a nice gym and if you just want the travelling experience it will be cool
But don't expect the gyms or the women to be better than whatever country you are from
Funny world, i'm brazilian and what i want the most is to leave this shithole to train wrestling abroad and to try dating women from other countries

Anonymous No. 131348

>>131336
that is pretty funny, have the idea just flipped.
If you come to canada I could help train at an olympic wrestling gym but I also wouldn't recommend it.
Shame I sold a pipe dream by my prof

Anonymous No. 131354

>>131348
I would love to
But if you can afford it you could give Brazil a try, spend a few weeks here in a neighborhood far from favelas and training in a good gym, you will have a great experience
Now if your expectations are training quality and a nice women to marry, you won't find much better than you already have there

Anonymous No. 131358

>>131354
I think I will go. I am not looking for world class training and models. I enjoy the gym I train at now just some thing different desu I have never left Canada. my stander's for women are already low, as long as she has all her teeth and that aggressive Brazilian tone in her voice she might as well be a ten.

I wish the best for you Brazilian anon

Anonymous No. 131382

>>131188
Guys, I want to learn BJJ, but I also like striking, what should I do?

Anonymous No. 131396

I just got my bjj brown belt;

besides training as usual, is there any expectations of the new rank like, helping the new people in class here and there or just stfu and training like everyone else? I dont feel comfortable submitting white belts and havent for awhile as purple. I let them get their work in and put them in place to work, but is that not ok? The only brown belts I knew before me were instructors, so I dunno

Anonymous No. 131410

>>131382
Do both.

Anonymous No. 131438

>>131396
ask the guy who promoted you what responsibilities he thinks comes with the belt

Anonymous No. 131450

>>131396
>I dont feel comfortable submitting white belts and havent for awhile as purple
You should definitely be submitting white belts, but you can make it productive for them. Show them the mistake they keep making by submitting with the same thing, or give them opportunities to escape.
Congrats on the promotion!

Anonymous No. 131506

I want to start BJJ but my car don't work. Sads.

Anonymous No. 131531

>>131450
thank you !
I like the idea of submitting them with things they should be learning - not high level stuff like bicep cutters etc. thats a dick move. I have a training partner / associate who loves wristlocking new people. I think its unnecessary

Anonymous No. 131537

>>131531
Wirst locks are great for white belts,
Not like there elbow them and acting like the newbe is in the wrong for call them on it.
But to each there own.

Anonymous No. 131539

>>131188
what are the most effective guard passes?

Anonymous No. 131694

>>131539
This is a huge question, and does not a simple answer. If you're a white or blue belt, you can make huge impactful progress learning half guard passing (and learning how to force half guard)

The hardest part about passing is learning to chain things together and change directions. I highly recommend Gordon (or Danaher's) recent passing instructionals.

Anonymous No. 131700

>>131539
the new meta is to pass by forcing half guard >>131694

Anonymous No. 131834

>Been going to jiu jitsu for 7 months 3 times per week with almost no breaks
>Making notes after each session
>Watching videos for 30+ mins/day on the other 4 days
>Still the worst guy in the gym, the rest of the white belts, even the ones that joined after me, show up way less, and are the same weight as me tap me and I never tap them
Do some people just not have what it takes?

Image not available

1080x1644

20201105_080310.jpg

Anonymous No. 131835

Eddie bravo has sold me on bjj
3 things

There is no 10th plant gym in my city but grace gym will I be kick out for leg locks?

Whats the quickest why to get to flexibility level?

What should I do for preparing myself?

>To prepare
Stopped smoking weed
15min x2 skipping rope morning and evening
Following flexibility info graphic i found on here
CoC grip strength trainer
Bodyweight Program (everything but pull ups)

I plan to do a drop in class Feb when I have more time but I what to make the most of it

Anonymous No. 131841

>>131835
>will I be kick out for leg locks?
If you are messing with leg locks on your first few sessions of bjj, they are either telling you to stop or you are getting a mangled knee before getting your blue belt
>What should I do for preparing myself?
Literally go there and train, obsessing about it like this before you even start will not make the progression to get good take less than years
Go there and train and you will figure out everything

Anonymous No. 131845

>>131841
I am working and going to school right now I put my notice in once I quit
I will start
I just want to make the most of my class so I can full focuse on the technique

Also the leg locks make sense now thanks

Anonymous No. 131857

>>131311
Training in Brazil is dirtcheap compared to most other places.
There are tons of higher belts at most gyms so you can get in more rounds against higher level guys.
You can do normal vacation stuff at the same time.

1: Im european, if I wanted to travel to the US to train the flight is expensive, the hotels/airbnbs, food etc are expensive, etc.
The flight to Brazil can be equally expensive but accomodations, food, transportation etc are much cheaper than in the US.

2: When I first went to Brazil I was a fresh purple belt, my gym had two black belts.
I've been to Rio a bunch of times and trained at GFT HQ, Nova Uniao HQ, BTT, De La Riva HQ, Fightzone, Gordo BJJ etc.
Most of the time there would be 10-15 black belts on the mat at those places.
Im not saying Brazilians are naturally better than anyone else, most guys I've rolled with in Brazil feel like any other x-belt from another country but the sheer number of higher belts means you will get good rounds.
Privates are also cheaper than in the US if that is your thing.
I think you are shitting to much on your fellow Brazilians though.

Brazilians still dominate in every ruleset there is (except EBI, but that is a clown-workshop) and in IBJJF Gi no other nationality is even close, not even the Americans despite them having access to the best Brazilians who move there and open Gyms.

3: In Rio you can go to the beach, visit a bunch of tursitical sites, head to Buzios for a weekend etc. It's like taking a "normal" vacation only with the bonus of there being a BJJ-gym in every corner.
While SP isn't really a beachcity it still has its sights.

Anonymous No. 131858

>>131296
I've been to Rio a bunch of times, but last time was before Covid, if you have questions im happy to answer them.

Anonymous No. 131859

>>131539
My top 3 most used are kneeslice, legdrag and smashpass, usually from HQ or from forcing halfguard.

Anonymous No. 131860

>>131834
Don't sweat it, I couldn't figure out how to do an armbar until like 6 months in, I kept going for the nearside arm and ending up in a crappy half-omoplata position.
Just keep goingm focus on one thing/area at a time and results will come.

Anonymous No. 131861

>>131835
Don't drink the 10th planet kool-aid, despite being a huge team with almost 140 gyms and having done only Nogi for almost 20 years they are not better at Nogi than other teams, in fact I would argue that they have failed to produce results according to Eddies hype for his system.

Anonymous No. 131864

>>131861
Where can I read more about this?
Also what if I shouldn't buy Eddie's books you got something else?

Anonymous No. 131916

>>131834

Are they attending fewer classes but rolling more than you? Rolling a lot is critical to getting better.

Are you really skinny or weak? Strength makes a huge difference even if weight is the same, especially at white belt level.

Anonymous No. 131924

I just started ju jitsu and kickboxing. Most people are white belts seen 2 blues a yellow and a brown. My gym is thinking of starting a fundamentals night so that would be great for me. I sort if know an armbar and defense for it, some of my classmates spoke to me about trying to get out from the mount or go to it by pushing on the opponents leg. Blue belt toyed with me for awhile on our knees as I tried to keep him off of me. After a minute or so he got on but said I did well. They've been nice so far. I hate not knowing anything though I guess I should watch stuff online.

Anonymous No. 131926

>>131864
The 10th planet website lists all their gyms and its quite easy to see the accolades of the team if you search for the results of ADCC, IBJJF Nogi events, WNO etc.
Its not that they don't have any high level guys, they do, some are even completly "homegrown" but its far fewer than any other team of a similar size or even smaller size.
Their no-gi instruction isn't any better than what you will be getting in any other gym in my experience and there are other no-gi specific/heavy teams that are better options imo.

Eddie is also a crackpot that revokes peoples belts for bullshit reasons.
https://jiujitsutimes.com/elia-yuriditsky-tells-story-black-belt-revoked-eddie-bravo-denny-prokopos/

I don't recommend any books, I'd recommend starting at a gym and seeing if you like it, then finding an area you think look fun/interesting.
Download some instructionals to watch between classes, ask for pointers from higher belts or even take privates.

Image not available

1200x675

maxresdefault.jpg

Anonymous No. 131927

>>131188
You dont stand a chance against a boxer

Anonymous No. 131928

>>131924
Fundamentals class is great, after we started having dedicated fundamental classes at the gym I train the progression for white belts to blue belts got much faster.
Alot of blue/purples also got sharper basic skills from attending the fundamentals class.

Don't worry about not knowing anything, its natural at the start, just like learning a new language evberything will start to fall into place the longer you study.

Anonymous No. 131940

>>131927
And you don't stand a chance against me, stop cumming with someone else's dick

Anonymous No. 131942

>>131927
What if I’m also a boxer ?

Anonymous No. 131984

What do you guys eat before a session?

Anonymous No. 131987

>>131834
You should narrow your focus, if you haven't already. Get very good at one or two things before moving onto anything else. For me at white belt, it was triangles and half guard. For videos, don't jump around and watch random shit. I recommend finding a good Danaher or Lachlan series and working through it.
You need to address specific issues you are having in training. For white/blue belts, it is usually guard retention and escapes
>even the ones that joined after me... tap me and I never tap them
What are they tapping you with? How did they get there? How are they evading your submissions? etc... This type of thinking is how you will get better.

Image not available

828x828

b49.gif

Anonymous No. 132010

I am so mad just left the hospital
Some zoomer fuck messed up a Kani Basami on the girl I like in a regular roll
Like there is no need for this shit to happen the only reason it happened is because this zoomer fuck didn't like being manhandled by a woman bigger then him
Why the fuck would a blue belt even try the move and on her she sooo fucking sweet
I am even more mad because I was going to ask her out after class and go to a nice steak house nearby the gym were I had made a reservation for a nice early dinner
I didn't want to eat DQ in a hospital room with her

>THE VERY WORST IS HOW MUCH SHE CRIED IN THE CAR I THOUGHT I DIDN'T CARE BUT HEARING HER CRY WAS PAINFUL

Anonymous No. 132016

>>132010
Injuries happen and le kani basami aka scissors takedown is legal in bjj
Muh zoomer shut up oldman that kid is going to be handing you your ass soon

Anonymous No. 132017

>>132010
Did you break the zoomer? Or did you run to the hospital to stuff your fat faces with DQ?

Anonymous No. 132029

>>132016
It's a takedown with a high chance of injuring uke, as evidenced by >>132010. Injuries happen, but you can mitigate that by not going for risky techniques during live rolls.
https://youtu.be/CYGng8iKn4U

Anonymous No. 132040

>>131188
been lifting for 4 years and a half and i'd like to learn how to fight. Cousin is a bjj black belt, says he's eager to teach. I start tomorrow. ill prolly get demolush by a twink

Anonymous No. 132041

>>132040
First couple of sessions are gonna be rough, regardless of size. The important thing is is that you keep going to eventually get better at it.

Anonymous No. 132047

>>131857
Yeah you have 2 points there, it's dirty cheap for gringos and we have a lot of upper belts
Damn my town has 30k population and in yesterday's class there was 6 black belts in the mats and it was a normal monday class, my coach has like 10 black belts under him
I guess i took having a lot of black belts from granted and there is nowhere near as much in canada

Anonymous No. 132054

>>132016
It banned in the gym I train at, he would know this if he read the forms he signed to attend the drop in classes
>>132017
The prof said he would handle it and told me to take her to hospital probably for the best, DQ is her favorite and there was one a cross the street.

>Desu I just wanted to scream into the void

Anonymous No. 132062

https://youtu.be/WmMPL89fvds

Anonymous No. 132067

Anyone got any good adult sized mouth piece recommendations for braces?

Anonymous No. 132096

>>132016
>>132054
It's illegal in BJJ (and Judo) if you're going by the IBJJF rules. It's okay in ADCC and maybe like Grappling Industries, but they allow everything.

Anonymous No. 132186

>>132041
got to fight him twice, didn't stand a chance a chance even tho I gave it my all. Got to made another white belt tap, so it's something. I had never sweated more tho, very intense.

Anonymous No. 132213

>>132186
Yeah it’s going to be like that for a while. I’m still new and still a white belt. Been at it for 4 months now. I obviously can’t submit anyone higher belt than me, but if there was someone equal to, or below my rank, I would have a better chance at a submission. Trust me bro, keep going. It gets better.

Anonymous No. 132567

>>132213
2nd lesson today. submitted one blue belt with some stripes today. A tad old, but i think it still counts. Another blue belt made tap by choke, first time ever. Quite unpleasant experience. I struggled and dominated him for a while but i wasn't able to make him tap by just sheer strenght.

Then I fought a white belt with some stripes and made him tap by guillotine once and choke the other one. After the first one he just did the baby_getting_its_diapers_changed thingy so i just jumped over him and went straight to the neck

Rugby background helps me in defending and performing takedowns, but I still need to know what to do when I get a guy on the ground other than trying to squeeze him to death.

Had lots of fun, only downside is the price, but other than that loving it.

Anonymous No. 132618

>>132029
Kani basami can be done safely by someone who knows what they're doing.

The problem is bjjiggers don't know what they're doing and equate takedowns with "yeet your entire body weight directly on the side of someone's knee"

Anonymous No. 132621

>>131188
I started today and I want to land a take down

Anonymous No. 132628

>>131335
Really…you either have it or you don’t. I’m really flexible, but I’ve been that way since childhood.

Anonymous No. 132630

>>132010
You made reservations before she said yes?

Best of luck with that.

Anonymous No. 132633

love DLR
love X-guard
love SLX
simple as

Anonymous No. 132642

>>132633
Jewish guards

Image not available

280x280

1658784492942.gif

Anonymous No. 132644

>>132642
well it is called jew jitsu

Anonymous No. 132691

>>131924
Odds are you aren't in this thread anymore but look at Lachlan Giles' mount escape which includes connecting your elbow and knee - great way to get half back.
Only been training a year or so but don't get stuck in mount as much at least

Anonymous No. 132692

>>132628
The secret is that you have to commit 100%
Singles are a good place to start, make sure you keep their leg tied to your body nothing loose

Anonymous No. 132695

>>132633
They’re really fun to play, but I’d never use them on da streetz

Anonymous No. 132800

>>131834
I've been training for about a year and a half now, and I was in the same position as you, my advice is to go do a competition. It completely changed my perspective. Also just talk to your trainers, and ask them what they think you could best progress with. Are you a lot smaller or weaker? I am a pretty short and kind of skinny guy, and most other white belts overpower me easily, so I've been doing PPL and bulking. I prefer to roll with blue belts and keep it light and technical. Gives me the most chances to correct my mistakes and capitalize on theirs

Anonymous No. 132801

>>131835
You're overthinking it bro, just go.
Also, there's literally no point in trying leglocks unless you have half-decent basics.

Anonymous No. 132802

>>131940
kekd thanks

Anonymous No. 133128

I tried judo for 2 months and I didn't like it. I want to try BJJ now and see if I like that more.

Anonymous No. 133137

>>133128
what didn't you like about judo?

Anonymous No. 133154

What should I do when I'm playing collar-sleeve and the opponent puts his knee between my legs? Is there anything I can do from there or is it simply worse for me and I should just focus on preventing it like I'd prevent going under a pin?

Anonymous No. 133263

>>132621
Cow catcher. Easy peasy.

Anonymous No. 133294

>>132010
simp
>>131506
My car works. I'll start after I cure my toenail fungus.

Anonymous No. 133389

Guys, I want to start BJJ, but I don't want to roll with women. Not looking to have my mind changed, so fuck off with that. I don't want to, I have my reasons, and that's that.
Judging by the absolute tantrum everyone threw when Zahabi said he doesn't roll with women and that it's shameful for men to let their wives roll with other men (it is), how much of a headache is this going to cause me at your typical gym?

Anonymous No. 133393

>>133389
My gym would think you're being a cunt. I don't think they'd kick you out, but most if not all would think less of you. Pretty sure the husband of one woman who trains would roll rougher, which would be extremely unpleasant given he's a monstrous brown belt.

Anonymous No. 133394

>>131835
Just go now. The you that starts training now would beat the you that starts when the stars align. Just fucking train.

Anonymous No. 133395

>>131834
Do you have a game or set moves at this point? At that point in time I had 2-3 moves I was trying to consistently hit every practice. My knee cut pass and americana are actually pretty decent at this point because of that.

Anonymous No. 133407

>>133389
>inb4 if i roll with a woman she'll accuse me of rape

Anonymous No. 133409

>>133393
Different anon here, I am muslim and usually train in my home country but im currently studying elsewhere, will pulling out the religion card make them not dislike me for not rolling with women?

Anonymous No. 133415

>>133154
Closed guard? Is he trying to break open your guard or are you opening your legs causing the space for the knee?

You can try open guard and putting your feet on his hips and extend your legs abit to crate tension.

You can try del la Riva? Under the knee/groin area if there is space, a sweep should be there if you still have collar and sleeve.

You can try to reguard if you can create space, move back, etc

Anonymous No. 133434

>>133128>>133137

Judo starts off REALLY slow. If you are learning it properly and not just jumping into randori you spend the first few months simply learning how to breakfall and some very very basic concepts. If you stick with it a little bit longer you'll start to see what works for you and your body. Just stick with it because it is so worth it. Its a very beautiful sport. A little more give and take than BJJ, which is why its called 'The Gentle Way'. It also has a bit more history to it, at least at my gym, we learn about Jigaro Kano and his teachings, we learn the Japanese names and have some traditional formalities in class that give it a bit of culture. That part isnt for everyone, but I really enjoy it (and I dont watch anime and I'm not a weeb)

Anonymous No. 133459

>>131188
My goal for the year is to win a comp before I get promoted to blue. Everyone keeps alluding to me getting promoted, but I don't want it yet. Comp will be brutal too. Last one I was in had 16 guys in the 220+ 30-40 category. I'm 6-3 250, but most of the guys were well north of 300. One had to be close 400lbs. Basically just slowly laid down on his opponent lol.

Anonymous No. 133640

>>133409
No it is a very big part of bjj that we are all the same on the mats, under the prof
they will let you roll but be ready for them to treat you like shit in return

Anonymous No. 133665

>>131188
Do you guys have any app ideas similar to smoothcomp? I want to make an open source app

Image not available

720x699

Screenshot_202301....png

Anonymous No. 133952

Is it over bros? Between the pipe bombs and the 3rd story bricks, I just don't know if my spider guard can keep me safe any longer.

No cap, I'm a little drunk and I could cry right now.

Anonymous No. 133995

>>133952
What ever you're going thru anon you'll get thru it,

i'm high as shit eating a pizza

Image not available

657x527

31946115001ada58c....jpg

Anonymous No. 134004

My instructor hands out promotions based on how long you've been a member of the gym

Anonymous No. 134029

>>134004
What's the general skill level like?

Anonymous No. 134090

>>134004
find somewhere else

Anonymous No. 134167

I can't do the forward roll they teach you at bjj at all, I watched a video and I'm trying but all I'm doing is falling on my side.
After failing that I said whatever, and looked up how to do a regular roll on youtube, instead of using your shoulder as support you just use your hands, making sure your head doesn't touch the ground, and that was even worse, I couldn't bring myself to do it at all, I think I'm afraid of the movement and my body rejects doing it, also I'm afraid of hurting my neck if I do it wrong.
And probably fear is the reason I can't do the bjj one either, it's easier to fall to the side than commiting your body and go forward, maybe my legs are weak too, idk.
I don't know dude, I think I'm gonna get late to classes today so I don't have to do the solo drills at the beginning.
Also I can't even practice it properly, I'm using my fucking mattress on the floor because I don't have a mat big enough for that.

Anonymous No. 134168

>>133389
Lmao are you a muslim or something?

Anonymous No. 134172

>>134167
If you have access to one, try fall-rolling into a pool. Or even already in the pool, just do some flip rolls from standing to standing.

Image not available

657x527

apu.jpg

Anonymous No. 134200

Noob question: How do I flatten people out in their half guard? Sometimes against higher belts they'll curl on their side when i'm in their half guard and i can't get the underhook or push them over with my head

Image not available

404x720

cat cqc.webm

Anonymous No. 134221

>>134167
I've been having trouble with this particular roll too, particularly the Judo-style ukemi forward roll from standing.
Have you tried doing them from your knees? I tried it out in class the other day, just slowly bending down and making sure I get on my shoulder as opposed to my head or neck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W93w6aw26Ls
A natural progression here would be to start from your knees, then doing them with one knee up, to doing them from standing.

A lot of BJJ gyms seem to skip the progression and simply assume everyone is adept enough to do forward/backward rolls from day 1. Whenever I see a new guy roll over their neck when doing a backward roll, I am washed over by a wave of nostalgia.

Anonymous No. 134232

>>134167
>>134221
People tend to be too autistically detailed when teaching BJJ/Judo style rolls and falls.

Just squat down and focus on curling yourself into a ball and bouncing as you roll or breakfall.

Anonymous No. 134235

>>134200
Try using the weight of your chest. Sway one way then the other I'd that makes any sense.

Anonymous No. 134365

>>131188
I’m getting my blue belt in March. It doesn’t matter whether I think I deserve it or not, I’m too stupid to evaluate my own level anyway. This isn’t gonna be an “I’m not worthy” or “I totally deserved that” bitch-post.

I wanted to ask: what is the ideal standard for belts in BJJ? I feel like a lot of assumptions get thrown around and no one wants to just lay out what the principle(s) they base their standards on are.

I’ve heard lots of arguments for one way or the other, but what do you think it should be and why?

I’ve heard
>X belts should beat X-1 belts easily in competition
>there should be certain standards like being able to pass guard x ways, or learn specific techniques
>it ought to be time-based with some technique checks
>it ought to not have any time-basis and be totally based on whether your hammering lower belts in rolling portions of class.
>competition be damned it’s all about how you roll in class
>it’s about beating yourself and not those around you. For example, an old man can still get his blue belt if he can beat people his size and age that are totally untrained. Also, no black belt for world champions if they aren’t bearing people as good as them … or something …
>it ought to be a rank that can be taken away from you if you suck or become weak or something
>belts are useless and we should just go by years training
>belts are more that 95% accurate and are therefore good

Anyway, how should it be and why?

Anonymous No. 134403

>>134365
There is basically black belt, and then everything below black belt. I've seen obsessed blue belts (that train 10 sessions/week) maul black belts that have been training for 10 years. I've seen purple belts struggle to pass the guards of white belts. In the competitive scene, it's even worse. Jay and Nick Rodriguez made it to ADCC with like 2 years of BJJ experience, as blue/purple belts.

I think that for hobbyists, the traditional system is fine: 2-3 years of solid effort = promotion. We can't force 45 year old dudes with kids to remain white/blue belts forever. I think competitors should be promoted a bit more aggressively, but even then, it seems like everyone who should be at black belt has been promoted.

Even the high level competitive brown belt guys at my gym that toy with hobbyist black belts are not quite at the level of competitive black belts. It's a strange system all around

Congrats on your blue belt! Don't quit

Anonymous No. 134413

>>134403
>Congrats on your blue belt! Don't quit
Isn’t quitting for a few years because of blue belt blues part of the ‘journey’?

Really though, thank you for the kind words. BJJ is really fun and it’s nice to know that I’ve made progress.

>it’s black belts vs everyone else
Honestly, that’s how it feels. I’d still come to class as often as I do even if I remained a white belt 10-15 years until getting promoted to black at the very end, with no promotions in between. Wouldn’t that be an interesting belt system?

>there are definitely exceptions to the rule of black beats brown beats purple etc.

100% agree

>2-3 years of solid effort is fine for hobbyists
I agree with this paragraph mostly, but part of the reason I made the post was to get to the fundamental principles of what should constitute a belt

The hard-ass in me says that we should keep the old fucks with kids at white/blue belt until they’re competitive with the competitors. I really want to see the arguments for why not that are specific to the art. I know people realistically would stop showing up if they didn’t get promoted, and I know that the old fuck with kids has gotten better in 2-3 years of training, but I don’t know. It just feels wrong

Anonymous No. 134498

How practical is contemporarily taught BJJ? If I ever decide to take up MMA how much will I have to retrain?

Anonymous No. 134512

>>134498
Just go train somewhere that does a lot of no-gi classes if you're interested in eventually doing MMA. As you learn, try to basically never accept bottom position for more than a minute. MMA grappling requires the ability to escape and get up ASAP, and maintain top position. Wrestling is also very important for MMA.
For now, just sign up and go train somewhere decent. You might just enjoy BJJ and not want to get kicked in the head

Anonymous No. 134575

>>131336
Literally every man everywhere just wants to go another country because he thinks the local women are all stuck-up cunts and thinks he'll find some humble foreigner that will like him.

The reality is simply that all women are cunts (save like maybe 20% across the board in every country, give or take) and going overseas just helps you maybe only slightly because you can find some girl who is like the weeb of your culture.

Anonymous No. 134577

I'm down from 140kg to 110kg, but I still feel massive and feel like it would be uncomfortable to roll with people. I don't want people to have to not enjoy their roll because they have some fatshit laying on them. But I want to get back into bjj and get my blue belt, but I'm not sure at what weight would be suitable. I was thinking 100kg. 100kg at 6 foot is actually not that huge, and at least I can start doing some moves which you just can't do as a fatshit (like getting your hooks in, guards, sweeps). Also I sweat like a pig and don't want to just be drenching some poor kid

Anonymous No. 134595

>>134172
>>134232
>>134221
Turns out I was overreacting and I could do both the forward roll and the backwards roll, didn't took that much time either, did them both on my mattress on the floor.
I wanna practice on a better surface though, so I'll probably go to a park with a yoga mat I have. I tried doing the forwards one with just the mat and it hurt, I'm assuming it hurts because of bad technique, I think I throw myself to the ground when I do it.
I used these two videos to learn:
https://youtu.be/MJYYgqxkl5Q
https://youtu.be/SPOjUhjRFrk
The backwards roll was way easier than expected, I just got used to lifting my butt, turn my head to one side, and extend my leg, and then the roll just felt like a natural progression from that.

Anonymous No. 134669

>>131188
Where can I get BJJ instructional videos for free? Or at least get a tracker? I might hit up the torrents board, but I thought someone here might know.

Also, how do I know which instructional videos to use? Like, how do I know if I need to watch a turtle instructional or a half-guard instructional? Does it really matter at all? I’ll have fun either way I’m sure, but I’d like to win comps.

Anonymous No. 134689

>>134413
>I know people realistically would stop showing up if they didn’t get promoted
Most would, yes. Gyms are still businesses and competitors make up a small of the memberships.
>It just feels wrong
It's just a hobby for most, it's not that important. It's like comparing a talented local musician to someone that sells out stadiums. If you go to a seminar, you'll see the best black belt in the gym get clowned by a pro (who has been rolling for 30min straight). There are insane levels to this sport
>>134669
There is an mma thread on the /t/.
>which instructional videos to use
Sounds like you are new, so focus on positional escapes, guard retention, and half guard. Most people would agree that the best instructors are Lachlan Giles, John Danaher, and Gordon Ryan. Danaher's teaching style can be boring, but I believe he has the best information/systems out there. Lachlan Giles also has a website, submeta, that is extremely valuable and a bit easier to navigate for beginners.

Ignore the retards that tell you to not watch instructionals. I was obsessed as a white belt at my mediocre gym, and quickly surpassed my classmates that only listened to what we learned in class. I will say, though, that you MUST drill things IRL and work through details on the mat. You will not be able to just watch a video and start tapping people

Anonymous No. 134711

>>134577

Congrats on the weight loss man, I'm on a similar journey: I started BJJ a month ago and I've gone from 140kg to 135kg already. 110-115 kg is my goal.

But yeah there's a lot of other big dudes at my gym so I maybe don't have the same situation as you. My current approach whenever I roll with someone half my size is to just use it as an opportunity to experiment, if I go in with the mindset of trying to "beat" them I just lie on top of them or try to pass their guard with brute strength, which is a waste of time for both of us. From their point of view it's a good training exercise to deal with someone much bigger than them.

Anonymous No. 134712

I think I have a bit of a crush on another dude at my gym, mainly because he just smells so good when I roll with him. I wanna ask him what cologne he's wearing but like, not in a gay way.

Anonymous No. 134743

>>134712
You're already doing BJJ. You were gay from the start.

Anonymous No. 134752

>>134689
>it’s not that important

In the end, I guess you’re right. It is just a colored ribbon at the end of the day

>there are black belts that are virtuoso’s compared to your uncle who plays nice guitar

This is 100% true according to my conversations with black belts. I’ve never seen a pro roll with a normie black belt, but I believe it.

I don’t think that we should hold people back until they’re on top of the world, or they can beat people at the other end of the Bell curve of their belt. I do think that their performance should play a roll though. They ought to be able to beat some of the worst of their belt level at least. I’m willing to hear why I’m wrong though.

>there is an mma thread on /t/
Very helpful

>you sound new
I most certainly am. I’m about to get my blue belt in March after 2.5 years of training. I’m only knowledgeable enough to know that I know I don’t know a lot.

>focus on positional escapes, guard retention and half guard
Will do

>Lachlan Giles, Gordon Ryan, John Danaher
Also helpful

>ignore the retards who tell you not to watch instructionals
Way ahead of you there, Anon.

>You MUST drill
My coach is chill and lets us open mat for hours and hours at a time. I got a LOT of time for extra drilling. You’re 100% right about needing to do it instead of just see it.

Anonymous No. 134832

>>134595
>Turns out I was overreacting and I could do both the forward roll and the backwards roll, didn't took that much time either, did them both on my mattress on the floor.
>tried doing the forwards one with just the mat and it hurt
Well no shit. Mattresses are soft and will yield to pressure and cover up any mistakes. If you're rolling on a hard surface and it hurts, you're doing it wrong.

>>134689
>Ignore the retards that tell you to not watch instructionals.
It's not that instructionals by themselves are bad.

It's just that beginners get in the habit of watching random submission from random positions or some meme inverted Chilean donkey guard system instead of fundamentals. That's changed a lot with Danaher/Gordon/etc. releasing tons of good series, but in the past it was a lot more limited.

Anonymous No. 134871

I have back-pain and started reading about it. BJJ seems really awful for backs, but I think it might be remediated to some degree if you know what to watch out for. Essentially any twisting (hips/shoulders rotating relative to each other, might happen if you do a bridge with poor form) or bending (shoulders moving towards hips, might happen if you stand to break closed-guard with poor form) will deal small amount of damage to the spine which will accumulate and become more and more serious pain and injury.

I am pretty sure there is no safe way to perform certain BJJ movements, e.g., inverting, because I cannot see how they could be performed without an unacceptable bend in the spine.

If you want to save your back during BJJ then I think the solution is to tense your core while performing all of the movements (and even movements in the rest of your life, lifting objects, opening doors, walking, etc.,) and this should prevent twisting/bending of the spine.

By the way, the stretches that make backs feel better (supine + knees to chest/out to the side being two examples) provide a false sense of pain reduction where they lower pain but damage the spine, causing a vicious circle where the more you stretch the more you need to stretch (and the more damage you deal to yourself).

I got this information from the book "Back mechanic" by Stuart McGill.

Has anyone looked into this for BJJ?

Image not available

2500x3300

ym3qi95ibl921.jpg

Anonymous No. 134873

Anonymous No. 134880

>>134871
As someome with grade 3 spondylolysthesis i do jits with basic half guard on bottom and over under passing on top. My game is boring, but i can do it.

Anonymous No. 134881

>>134669
Mma-torrents.com. costs like 10 bucks or something for a membership, pays for itself instantly.

Anonymous No. 134917

>>134881
sounds nice
>>134873
great post

Anonymous No. 134958

>>131296
Shooting yourself in the foot. You can't replace good strength conditioning with that meme shit.

Anonymous No. 134990

Guys at the moment I'm doing Monday and Friday Gi, and Tuesday and Thursday No-gi. This leaves Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Is there something that I can do in a gym for 2 days that will help me out with BJJ? I wanna focus on upper body strength at the moment as my legs are pretty decent but my shoulders/chest are lacking.

Anonymous No. 135006

>>134873
This is actually a fairly unhelpful post. For one thing half guard top is actually better than having someone in your guard, you have already passed half of their guard and can usually get into mount without too much difficulty. Also this doesn't distinguish between open and closed guard, and obviously not different types of open guard.

Anonymous No. 135010

>>134990
Lifting and stretching are important. Make sure you're eating and sleeping well or you will burn out. Don't get injured anon

Anonymous No. 135011

>>135010

Thanks, I started stretching post-BJJ sessions and it has been doing wonders for me. For the past 3 months I've done this but I feel like my gym sessions are too "let's just wing it" and I got no clue what to do to make it better.

Anonymous No. 135016

Why does it seem all BJJ guys have unrequited respect for wrestlers, judokas and sambo guys? I feel like many BJJ guys feel disgust towards other atheletes in their own sport. Where do you think this stems from?

Anonymous No. 135019

>>135016
BJJ guys are constantly searching for the best grappling game, so they tend to put other disciplines on a pedestal as they aren't as familiar with the downsides of the sports. Also BJJ spends most of its time on the ground so BJJ guys are aware of the lacking takedown game in most BJJ guys, so they praise takedown focused sports a lot to compensate. Also wrestlers who state doing BJJ can do really well because of their conditioning and this makes BJJ guys jealous

Anonymous No. 135022

>>135016
>Why does it seem all BJJ guys have unrequited respect for wrestlers, judokas and sambo guys?
Where are you getting this from?

I generally see a disdain for judokas and sambo guys. They'll claim BJJ guys are better and point to all the judokas/sambo guys losing while ignoring the fact that they're only doing sub-only comps that favor the BJJ guys. Wrestlers do begrudgingly tend to get respect from BJJ guys.

Anonymous No. 135038

>>135016
Because wrestling is hard as fuck

Anonymous No. 135044

>>135019
>>135038
BJJ's prevalent alternating standing/sitting opening in training makes it much easier and safer then the other grappling sports that have more emphasis on takedowns.

It's the key to the success of the sport since it takes a fraction of the toll on the body as wrestling and judo, allowing almost anyone to train. But this ease in physical difficulty and risk comes at the cost of respect from other grappling sports.

>>135022
What planet are you on?

Anonymous No. 135117

>>135044
>What planet are you on?
This one, though I'm mainly referring to online BJJ people who probably don't train that much, if at all, IRL. I've seen a lot of weird copium like claiming sambo isn't legit and Khabib/Islam don't count because akshually all they've trained is freestyle wrestling

Anonymous No. 135118

FUCK BJJ. Car-Jitsu is where it's at. Have you anons seen this shit it's hilarious
https://youtu.be/Am9H1KMpNz4

Anonymous No. 135213

Anyone have any advice for dealing with posterior tib tendonitis in one ankle?

I haven't seen a PT (can't afford) but I spoke to one who attends my gym and he gave me some good advice, like strengthening my calves and legs, doing some RICE on the ankle, etc.

I'm doing that all currently, took a few days off for the tendon to heal and then went back to training lightly. I currently have no pain in the tendon when walking etc but I can feel it strain slightly during certain moves so I'm now only rolling in closed guard and wearing a brace.

I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this in BJJ specifically, all the advice for posterior tib online seems to be geared towards runners so the advice getting-back-into-action-wise is running related.

Anonymous No. 135285

>>135117
>I'm mainly referring to online BJJ people who probably don't train that much

Right. Anyone who does BJJ and has anything bad to say about wrestling, sambo and ESPECIALLY judo is completely out of touch.

Anonymous No. 135491

>>133389
You're based. I personally wouldn't roll with women under the age of 18, most gyms in my area have girls starting at age 14 sometimes 16 rolling with grown men.

Remember that women on the mat are the exact same as women off the mat, let them ask you to roll or drill no matter what don't initiate. Also never ever under any circumstances date a BJJ girl. Fucking a girl at your gym who wants to fuck is fine if you are a chad and don't care if your peers know your dick size.

>t. Incel virgin

Anonymous No. 135511

tweaked my big toe today after a botched sweep
nothing's broken but feels no bueno
should i just tape it up or get one of those meme toe braces/strap things meant for turf toe? i greatly underestimated how significantly less mobile i'd be with a sore big toe

Image not available

480x854

1675103466036163.jpg

Anonymous No. 135562

Hey bros! Just getting back into BJJ after a long hiatus. My everything game is shit. What instructionals should I watch to build a good foundation for being a good grappler/BJJ player? I already have Jiu Jitsu University.

Anonymous No. 135644

>>135562
grapplersguide best bang for buck covering everything. pure wrestling has been great for me for top game and handfighting. I'm working on more handfight when having closed guard to create angles and break them down. I like danahers stuff for the philosophical overviews.

Anonymous No. 135846

>>135118
this broke my fucken brain lmao

Anonymous No. 135855

Boxed for a couple years, started BJJ recently and have been enjoying the experience.

Current routine is training 5 times per week, which is either box 2x + BJJ 3x or box 3x + BJJ 2x.

Making sure to eat and sleep a lot for recovery, any other tips to sustain this level of training? When I did boxing, that was amateur level on Monday Wednesday Friday.

Anonymous No. 135865

>>135855
>any other tips to sustain this level of training?
Lift weights. I just added it to my training schedule and can feel a huge difference

Anonymous No. 135875

>>135865
So 2x boxing 2x bjj 1x lifting?

Anonymous No. 135881

>>135855
>>135865
>>135875
You can definitely lift on top of 5 classes. Doesn't have to be long. I do bjj roughly 7 days a week. 3 of the 7 are just 45 minutes of drills while my kid does his class. Other 4 days are full 1.5hrs of class. I lift in the AM on the weekdays in my home gym and it takes about 30 minutes. Lots of sport catered movements. Today was pre-hab shoulders (dumbell row), neck (extension/flexion), grip strength with reverse curls that have fat grips on them, and good mornings for back strength. Stuff like that.

You can do compound lifts if you really want, but you have to be careful of joint stress and fatigue.

Anonymous No. 135883

>>135881
>>135855
Also, if you don't have the time or money for going to a weightlifting gym and your boxing/bjj gym has nothing, you can accomplish a lot with rings, a pull-up bad, and resistance bands. They're all pretty cheap. Water gallon jugs are about 8lbs. Build a home gym from there.

Anonymous No. 135912

>>135875
2 days minimum, I think. Even some half ass rehab is worth it. Completely agree with >>135881

Anonymous No. 135950

How do you guys manage both lifting and BJJ? I do 3-4 days BJJ and 3 days full-body in the gym and both my elbows/tricep tendon are so sore all the time. Mostly after the GI sessions.

Thinking either I'll need to either quit or scale back the gym, or at least limit the elbow-related movements. Sucks ass.

Anonymous No. 135951

>>135950
>>135881

right yep it might be the compound lifts

Anonymous No. 135962

>>135950
>>135951
It could also be the exercise choice. Skull crushers place a higher load on the elbow or side delt raises may cause your shoulder joints to impinge. You might want to choose alternative lifts.

Another factor could be rep range or RiR. 5 or less could cause issues faster with shit form. Going to less than 2 Reps in Reserve could mean your form is going to shit later in the set.

Imo give the elbows a break. Switch to front squats for legs. Drop the weight on any triceps isolation lifts. Research alternatives to the ones you're doing.

Anonymous No. 135983

What are your tactics to get someone's arm across your body and get 2 on 1 when you have closed guard and they are postured high and have their elbow heavily planted into you? Gi or nogi

Anonymous No. 135992

>>135881
>>135883
>>135912
Original guy you were responding to. The gym I go to is one of the best in London, and has all the exercise equipment needed for any kind of work out. All included in the membership too.

I should have the time to go to the gym more than 5x a week, but at this point I'm not sure how sustainable the training would be, and how my girlfriend would react since I'm already spending a lot of time there. And yes I tried getting her to come already.

Anonymous No. 136004

>>135992
I totally get it. That's why I lift in my homegym in the AM. I'm guessing you being in London means you don't have the space and/or live in an apartment where deadlifting is a no-go though. Are you too tired out by practice to lift for 20-30 minutes before after?

Anonymous No. 136035

>>136004
There's space in our apartment but I can't be bothered to get a home gym when the BJJ gym is extremely close.

I've considered doing lifting in the morning before work, not sure if that would mess with a BJJ session in the evening of the same day

Anonymous No. 136047

>>135983
I pull peoples heads down and try to control it to bait them into posturing up high, as soon as they do this, I hip bump sweep. Works like 95% of the time.

Anonymous No. 136048

>>136035
Whether it disrupts your training depends on volume and intensity. Start easy in the first couple weeks.

Anonymous No. 136070

should i never attempt to pull my knees to my chest in closed guard straight-on, and always go to an angle first?

Anonymous No. 136079

>rolling with girl no-gi
>she starts to triangle me from mount
>about to try to escape but pause for a second and think 'do I actually want to escape this?'
>go for the escape because I don't want to be retarded
wwyd?

Anonymous No. 136081

>>136079
I remember getting mounted by a girl with huge knockers in nogi
Man I tried sooooo hard to escape, too bad I never could

Anonymous No. 136250

>>136081
happens to the best of us

Anonymous No. 136268

>>136079
>>136081
As if I'd ever let a woman beat me

Anonymous No. 136298

why do triangles when it seems so much easier to just finish with the armbar once you lock it up?

Anonymous No. 136328

>>136298
because they make each other easier to finish? the threat of one seems to provoke a defensive reaction which can sometimes be the set-up/ for the other
i would finish fewer triangles if i didn't attack armbars and vice versa

Anonymous No. 136365

>>132801
>>133394
Yeah maybe so but my schedule was fucked till now. I am glad I did prep but I still felt under prepared when in the class but I am still going to keep going. Also pretty sure I would have died on my first day If I didnt stop smoking when I did

Image not available

453x668

1599802609048.png

Anonymous No. 136384

Is jiu-jitsu slowly becoming the new meme martial art instead of Judo? Seems like lots and lots of normies are getting into it, it's becoming the women and nerd's MA like Judo or Karate always were.
Seeing all that will only lead to an insane amount of Mcdojos "teaching" bjj
When someone tells me they're a black belt in jiujiutsu i'm just not impressed just like I'm not about karate and judo bb

Anonymous No. 136386

>>136384
I'm a 3rd degree black belt training since 02

I'll fuck you bitch

Anonymous No. 136400

>>136384
Depends where they got their black belt from.
Decent gyms will be able to trace their lineage. If they can't, then they're just a mcdojo.
A real bjj black belt will fuck you up.

Anonymous No. 136402

>>136386
Typical bjj fag always thinking about fucking men

Anonymous No. 136410

>>131188
This motherfucker kinda looks like a young Jerry Lawler.

Anonymous No. 136421

how good is john danaher's feet to floor series?

Anonymous No. 136423

>>>/t/1147581

Anonymous No. 136427

>>136384
I think of BJJ as the reddit martial art

Anonymous No. 136496

>>136421
Not good. Danaher doesn't really have that much experience doing standup grappling and it shows.

Anonymous No. 136504

>>136384
what the fuck are you talking about. judo was never a normie thing, let alone a woman or nerd thing. also it's not even comparable to the popularity of karate or TKD.

Anonymous No. 136512

>>136504
That would greatly depend on your country
Judo is (and probably has been for a very long time) the most practiced MA in my country

Anonymous No. 136515

>>136421
https://youtu.be/ovzbRnKUZqE

Anonymous No. 136520

>>136512
He's probably also quite young. Judo being a "normie" art is quite literally a qualification needed for the Olympics, and it was very available worldwide when the sport entered the games.

Anonymous No. 136570

>have a great day
>go to BJJ
>gradually become more and more depressed and disillusioned with the sport throughout the entire session
every time

Anonymous No. 136577

>>136384
Sounds like you don't train. A BJJ black belt that isn't a fat slob will almost certainly fuck you up. I would agree that belts below black belt can be pretty bullshit.

Anonymous No. 136599

whats the point of bjj when someone doing sambo will rape you

Anonymous No. 136600

>>136599
for fun

Anonymous No. 136601

Can you guys help me with something, so I never play guard, when I am in a bad position I go into turtle and then fight from my knees and then stand up when I can after that. Is this frowned upon, it's easy to do and you get to fight from the top but I also seem to be getting ostracized at my gym for it

Anonymous No. 136602

>>136599
nice meme fucking nigger kike.

Anonymous No. 136603

>>136601

It depends on what you're doing when you stand up. Depends on the gym, but it's definitely considered bad etiquette to turtle, get up a bit and then slam your back into the ground for instance (dick move to the person on your back).

I'm also a little puzzled by you saying that turtling and then standing up works well for you as opposed to recapturing guard. Are you a bigger guy by chance? Unless you have an incredible turtle, I can't see how essentially giving your back is resulting in better outcomes for you than recapturing (or trying to recapture) guard.

Anonymous No. 136607

Any of you fags climb rope?

Anonymous No. 136623

How the hell are you supposed to play guard without a gi? Just seems to be nearly impossible to break opponent's posture without anything to grip on to.

Anonymous No. 136624

>>136623
collar ties, whizzers and underhooks? been trying to get to side guard more and sweeping or wrestling up

Image not available

307x164

mc-dojo-2.jpg

Anonymous No. 136630

>be me, train in small dojo in nowhere Illinois
>Some blue belt tranny pops into the gym. Moving to Florida & wanted to drop-in somewhere
>whatever. I'll just fuck "her" up in the rolls
>Just me, 2 other people, tranny, & 3 stripe black belt professor in class
>She doesn't say a word entire class. Whatever
>End of class rolls
>Chain submits all 3 of us
>wtf is happening
>Prof clearly a frazzled about it
>Rolls with "her" to set the pecking order
>ohshit.jpg
>turns into a competition roll quick as fuck
>3 of us look at each other in disbelief as 2 stripe blue belt tranny mangles our professor with an omoplata & a triangle in 1 roll
>After class prof messages us in the group chat to let us know this person was sandbagging & clearly lying about their experience level, but I went on instagram & found its page. She's a real blue belt...

Do I quit? Is it true tranny autism makes them really good at shit like speed running video games fast or am I at a McDojo? We're a Pedro Sauer affiliate. I know his black belt is legit. He's competed before & done pretty well. I just... I don't think I'll ever see him the same way

Anonymous No. 136631

>>136630
>trann
Also why are there so many tranny stories on here lately? Is BJJ about to become the speedrun community of the martial arts world? Are we fucked & about to be overran with autistic smelly trooners & pooners?

Anonymous No. 136637

>>136577
Honestly, they’re MORE dangerous if they’re fat. It’s like a hippo charging at you. You’re not expecting it to move, but it does. Fast.

Anonymous No. 136638

>>136630
>Illinois
>moving to Florida to drop in

What?

Anonymous No. 136639

How in the actual fuck are single leg takedowns supposed to work?

>inb4 they work

I know. I don’t disagree. How?

>inb4 do wrestling

I did for 3 years in HS and I was still shitty at them. I literally stood up every match and rarely shot hoping that I could walk into a hiptoss or a cement mixer.

>lol you were bad at wrestling huh?

Yes absolutely. I fought like a slow whale @120 lbs and it did not help.

>inb4 you’re retarded

If trying to teach me or posting vids that’ll help is too hard for you, then just leave me alone.

>inb4 just pull guard
I do when I feel like it, but takedowns are fun. I want these shits to fucking WORK.

Now that that’s settled, how the hell do I set up a single, follow through without getting guillotined, and come up with my head up in good posture ready to, or having already passed guard?

Anonymous No. 136669

>>136603
I don't stay in turtle long at all, I use it to get a base and face them, then I try to bring my level up to eventually stand up, I am comfortable on ym feet because I have experience in judo and wrestling

Anonymous No. 136672

>>136623

Upper belt in my gym recently clued me in. Basically you grip their wrists and when you bring your knees to your chest to break posture, do it in a staggered way i.e. multiple quick and hard pulls. At the same time as your bring your knees to your chest, use your grips around their wrists to dislodge their hands posturing on your chest/armpits/hip.

It works incredibly well, I can break posture on literally everyone I roll with now doing this and I'm a small guy. The key is to time the knee pulls well and to synchronize the knee pulls with the dislodging of their hands. IMO it actually works best in nogi.

Anonymous No. 136673

>>136669

Ah ok, yea it's hard to say why they are reacting without seeing exactly what you're doing. Try just asking a belt higher than you if you're doing the optimal move when you do that and they'll let you know if there's something you're doing wrong.

Anonymous No. 136676

>>136630
>pedro sauer

Known fraud

Anonymous No. 136677

There's no way to practice things alone huh? I wanna practice the things we learn but it feels kind of impossible without a partner

Anonymous No. 136689

>>136672

Okay sounds interesting, I'll give that a try. I don't know how you manage to grip both of their wrists at the same time though when you're both sweaty. I feel like the only way I can keep hold of an arm is with one hand on their wrist and another on the elbow.

Anonymous No. 136691

>>136677
Find a buddy and go to open mats. Grappling dummies exist, but they’re not as good as a real person.

Anonymous No. 136697

>>136677
Look up videos based on whatever you were working on. Be it solo drills, technique breakdown, theory, or live use in sparring/match/fight. Even the simplest of videos can give you a perspective on something you may not have caught during instruction time. And even if you get something "wrong", I imagine you just started, so you're in luck. You're already doing everything wrong anyway, so it can't get worse. All you did was acclerate your path to correct by eliminating mistakes sooner. Just make sure you're focusing your video search around "X" technique or position that you just went over. Don't fall into the giant rabbit hole of semi related.

Anonymous No. 136703

>>136689

You don't necessarily have to hold onto their wrists with a thumb grip to dislodge them. It's hard to describe over text but imagine they have their hands in your armpits and are trying to escape guard. You can use the back of each hand to do a sort of swim motion with both hands simultaneously to push their hands outward. If done well and synchronized with knee pulls they will fall directly into your chest, giving you a wizzer or whatever you want.

Anonymous No. 136705

judofag here.
im trying to get better at full guard because my bottom game blows, so ive been practicing scissor sweeps and sometimes kimura sweep from guard during ground sparring. I understand that you have to break posture to get better success most guard techs, but what the fuck do you do when you get flattened by the guy on top while he has an underhook and his arms under your neck? Any videos to recommend for this?
last time it happened he used his legs to first get into half guard, then passed guard completely and pinned me for the win. Another time i was flattened by a much less experienced person (but 40 lbs heavier) I somehow shimmied myself into a backtake but i was suffering through that shit. I heard that getting your legs in into some sort of butterfly guard works for this but doesn't that just helps the guy pass my guard?

Image not available

498x498

scared pepe.gif

Anonymous No. 136727

>>131188
>Tfw 5'7 and 115 pounds skeleton
>Family insists I should learn BJJ
I don't want to get murdered in the ring, is it worth trying or am I getting meme'd on?

Anonymous No. 136728

>>136727
It's worth it.
BJJ is fairly safe, unless you refuse to tap or the other person doesn't stop when you tap.

Anonymous No. 136729

>>136727

As >>136728 said it's pretty safe, largely dependent on you and the people you train with. Don't roll with guys who don't seem to be in control of themselves, especially if they are bigger. Don't lose control of yourself while rolling or go too hard, that's how you hurt yourself. Just find a gym with a safety first mentality and until you get your first stripe or two make a very conscious decision to take it easy when rolling and communicate this to your drilling partners.

Anonymous No. 136762

>>136705
Closed guard is a good place to start but honestly should not be your focus. I would work on half guard and guard retention.
>I heard that getting your legs in into some sort of butterfly guard works for this
It does. This video is a decent example: https://youtu.be/-CteqwCyEmI

If you want to sweep, this video is a good example of the concept: https://youtu.be/rnaHqM9Nalw
Brian Glick's channel is one of my favorites.

Anonymous No. 136813

>>136703

Cool thanks anon, I think I can picture what you're describing, I'll give it a go next time.

Image not available

250x249

f60.jpg

Anonymous No. 136826

>>136728
>>136729
Okay maybe I don't die, but I'm also not looking to just be the community punching bag who never wins any fights.

Is the size and weight disadvantage actually overcomeable with training in a reasonable amount of time, or am I just signing up for a 150 a month pass to get the shit beat out of me and win no fights?

Anonymous No. 136830

>>136826

I'm a one stripe white belt, 5'6 and 140. Yesterday I subbed 3 different blue belts in rolls, all were guys who were taller and heavier than me. I've subbed a fellow white belt who felt huge (6'2 maybe) and normal weight for his size. By the same token there are a couple upper belts who are skinnier or shorter than me who fuck me up on the reg.

It's entirely dependent on you, you will probably be getting fucked up for the first couple months but so does everybody. Size and weight advantage can definitely be overcome to some extent but obviously there will be some big dudes that you will never be able to dominate or sub, either because of weight alone or height/weight/strength. You will probably find it easier if you gain some weight though, 115 is pretty low for 5'7.

Anonymous No. 136831

>>136727
Are you so skinny because of health related reasons ?
Otherwise bulking up will be very beneficial, I’m 160 for roughly the same height and by no means huge for my size
Bjj is one of the truest MA experience in the sense that skill can make up for a huge weight difference but in the end that’s a huge factor
At 115 you’ll be struggling a lot against most dudes on a similar skill level

Image not available

550x535

1676677123414065.png

Anonymous No. 136835

>>131188
Can getting to a high level in BJJ help you get women? Srs question. I have nothing else guys.

Anonymous No. 136841

>>136835
All I see on >reddit is how their local BJJ coach keeps sleeping with the new white belt women, so maybe?

Image not available

400x400

pepe.png

Anonymous No. 136889

>>136830
>You will probably find it easier if you gain some weight though
>>136831
>>Are you so skinny because of health related reasons ?
I'm basically never hungry. When I finally do get hungry and try to eat more I tend feel stuffed and end up subconsciously eating less later to compensate.

>>136830
>>136831
Also I broke my little toe back around Christmas and due to several re-injuries along the way I'm still doing taping. How fucked am I if I show up with a taped toe for BJJ, would it be a bad idea to start right now?

Anonymous No. 136898

>>136889
>How fucked am I if I show up with a taped toe for BJJ
not at all
>would it be a bad idea to start right now?
No, just be careful not to re-injure it.
You probably won't be rolling for the first few weeks/months anyway.

Anonymous No. 136899

>>136762
good shit. thanks. i did actually learn this shoulder crunch once taught by a judoka but it was done differently (no butterfly just one outside hook on one leg and other leg bridging on the ground) and frankly i forgot how to do it. brian glick's one seems alot more controlled and the kick in the thigh seems more powerful.

Anonymous No. 136900

>>136889

>I'm basically never hungry

I had this same issue. The solution I found easiest and cheapest (probably not super healthy) was to end every day by eating several big spoonfuls of chunky peanut butter. PB has tons of calories and is relatively easy to eat, it also has a fair amount of protein. If you do this at the end of the day it usually doesn't end up affecting your eating because it's at the end. You can also blend the PB with milk into shakes which is even easier to consume but I was too lazy to keep cleaning my blender so I just eat straight PB.

> Also I broke my little toe

As the other anon said, it's fine just don't spar (roll) until it's healed. But you can definitely do the drills in class until then. Usually gyms will tell you not to start rolling straight away anyway.

Anonymous No. 136904

>>136900
>eating several big spoonfuls of chunky peanut butter
Be careful. This may or may not cause shit to stick to your ass.

Anonymous No. 136907

I'm a Judo black belt. We recently started a judo program at a BJJ gym and I've been taking a lot of BJJ classes. Any tips on fitting in? The gym has both gi and nogi but the culture seems to skew towards nogi. I get a dismissive/disrespectful vibe from most of the senior nogi students. Do they think we're a bunch of annoying weebs or YMCA fatasses? We do a lot of standup but the culture is more wrestling focused. Should I be throwing people when we roll, or will that piss them off? idk if I should be chilling and working on getting a good guard or showing people I'm not full of shit

Should note the gi guys seem much more chill and friendly

Anonymous No. 136909

>>136907
BJJ is a martial art. People should expect to get thrown. Just try to use safer throws since some BJJ guys don't know how to fall.

Anonymous No. 136910

>>136909
Every time I go to the "advanced" class sessions we get a lecture about paying attention, or showing up on time, training mindset, etc. It's really obnoxious, like they're taking themselves so seriously. The fundamentals class is much less pretentious. I trained for a couple weeks at Ryan Hall's gym and it was the same thing, but every class. Always a weird lecture. Is this normal??

Anonymous No. 136914

>>136910
Nope. A lot of gyms focus on technique only, no philosophy.

Anonymous No. 136915

>>136910
>>136907

Nogi students usually take BJJ more seriously, at my gym there are almost no white belts in the nogi classes. Some of them at your gym probably compete, so yea not that uncommon for them to be taking it seriously. It's definitely possible that the gym you go to sucks but honestly it just sounds like you're complaining about something pretty minor.

Anonymous No. 136950

>>136910
>Every time I go to the "advanced" class sessions we get a lecture
Cringe. I train at a gym full of ADCC medalists and no one does that lol

Anonymous No. 137021

>>131188
Hey guys, I'm 27 and thinking about starting MMA for fitness, and self defence.
BJJ and Muai Thai are the most taught things at the centre. But I work, have a fiancee and also study full time. Do you guys think training 2 times a week is fine for starting out? I'm just not sure how much BJJ training is considered a good start for when you're beginning,

Anonymous No. 137030

>>137021
i mean twice a week is better than nothing, but if you want to get good its not enough. you really have to prioritize your time carefully. like most of the time you spend training should be situational drills/sparring and light sparring to maximize experience gain.
i always say this, but if you're serious about self defense, get a weapon and practice using it properly, preferably a gun. any Martial arts that spars works in self defense and is great, but i wouldnt trust myself to win against someone untrained whos 40 lbs heavier then me, or someone mugging me with a weapon. martial arts can be a good backup but even then you have to be good at it which you likely won't until you trained for at least a year and you train and spar constantly.
>how much bjj training is considered a good start when youre beginning
as much as possible, i think most people go around 3x a week but theyre casual goers. the real thing that matters is how you can maximize effective sparring time while minimizing injuries.

Image not available

417x550

1676095991350047.png

Anonymous No. 137038

>>137030
Oh uh, allow me to reiterate my position more harsly, and please, critisice my take because I'd rather be wrong than right in this situation.

I did boxing, kick boxing, karate and capoera for most of my youth and young adult life, and I noticed that most of the time, I was learning how to defend myself in a very systematic, and structured manner. Almost as in, it wasn't practical at all. Especially with Karate. Boxing was handy, but I'll always maintain a good person will never need to be in a fight. In my entire life thus far, I have never fought anyone and I've never troubled anyone myself. I'm from Australia, so weapons training is not a thing, guns are illegal unless you live on a farm. The problem we have is youth gang culture with knives. I saw an experienced boxer recently get harrased and intimdated by 5-6 kids with knives. And I don't blame him, what's he gonna do against that many people, when all he has are his fists? I've maintained that MMA, and any other kind of combat sport, is exactly that; a sport. I don't see myself rolling on the streets, because I'm getting kicked in the head, and I don't see myself trying to fight people either, becuase it's retarded.

So when I said self-defence, I meant it half heartedly. You know, maybe once all that money spent on coaching more than 3 times a week would pay off? Probably not.

Anonymous No. 137039

>>137038
>>137030
Cont.
And that's why I'm skeptical about joining a club at all, because you could be trained as highly as you want to be, but at the end of the day, if someone has a knife at your face, you're retarded to try and fight them. Perhaps it's better that I take up some weight lighting and go for runs instead.

Anonymous No. 137041

How to not get feet fungus, bacteria or whatever skin disease from other's people sweat during the training?
I know they clean them, but not constantly) but I kinda don't wanna get someone's disease, balls to face is fine

Anonymous No. 137043

>>137038
your take is fine. not everyone is ready to hurt another dude with a weapon and prevention truly is the best self defence. hell i dont even carry a knife. the thing about prevention is that you need to avoid situations that will get you mugged by having situational awareness, and that shit is hard to teach, harder to find resources for, and even harder to practice. but it works.

you are also right about how many martial arts can be too structured. that is the value of sparring, where two people essentially go wild on each other in a semi-controlled way. sparring is where you find out that all of your techniques are shit and don't work on anyone resisting because you're just bad at doing them in a semi realistic scenario.
that being said, while you may not be able deal with a knife mugger by doing martial arts, you'll have a better chance to deal with the mugger if he decides to just kill you instead of robbing you, which is a real possibility, and the nice thing about grappling arts (like judo, wrestling, bjj) is that people often need to grab you before they can stab or attack you, otherwise you just run, and grabbing means that they are now grappling.
personally, im a short person and a terrible runner, so i dont really trust myself to be able to escape, but if you think youre a good runner, then go for it. However, i would still recommend that you learn to fight, because you want that skill in the rare event that you need it; there are malicious people in the world, and sometimes, you will have to fight and you won't be able to run. Also, sparring is extremely fun, dont just do martial arts for its practicality.

Anonymous No. 137074

>>137039
Read Meditations on Violence.

Anonymous No. 137204

I'm a white belt trying to get good at closed guard. Right now my cross-collar strangle works on some people but on others I have mainly two problems:
1. I get my right hand gripped behind the spine, break the opponent's posture, grip with my left hand on the fabric, but then the opponent moves his head to my right so I can't get my left elbow in front of his face to finish the strangle
2. If I do get my elbow in front of his face then his hands will be in (e.g., his left hand covering my right hand) so again I can't finish
How should I know if I need to keep trying to improve my cross-collar strangle technique so that I can beat these defences or if I just need to try alternative techniques since the opponent is defending the strangle I want? Which would the best alternative techniques be to try when the opponent defends?

Anonymous No. 137210

>>137204

I'm not an expert on cross collar from closed guard so take what I say with a grain of salt, but most people at my gym only go for cross collar in the mount. Cross collar in the closed guard seems to be much lower percentage, or maybe people where I train aren't good at it.

Either way, if you have someone's posture completely broken and are unable to complete the cross collar personally I'd definitely just move to something. I.e. go for the cross collar, if they defend go for the quarter juji, if they defend go for the trap triangle then get to triangle and finish. One of the things I've been noticing recently is that a lot of attacks are just threatening a joint lock and then going for a choke or vice versa. Definitely ask your instructor if there's something you're missing on the cross collar though, idk.

Anonymous No. 137211

>>137204
>>137210

One more thing I forgot - when you're finishing the strangle make sure you're using your back more than your arms if you are not doing that already. It's hard to explain but it makes the strangle much stronger. Basically when you have the grips try to focus on using your back and pull them tight to you as though you are trying to pull them through your chest. That made a big difference with my strangle.

Anonymous No. 137258

>>137204
If they're blocking your stop hand (the one that goes and grabs on top) then just go underneath both your arm and their arm. You have to lean towards the other way (your bottom arm) but this helps you get underneath.

Alternatively, I like using that deep right-hand grip for scissor or flower sweeps after faking the cross-collar, and as >>137210 mentioned cross-collar is generally easier from mount, so you can sweep with the right-hand cross grip to mount and you're already half-set up once you get to mount anyway.

Anonymous No. 137270

>>137204
>>137258
I tried searching for the variation I was talking about and this is pretty similar, if it helps. The only difference is I usually grab the lapel with my left hand and I can't see exactly where he's grabbing with his left.

https://youtu.be/Vdshj1ch1y4

Anonymous No. 137372

>>131188
Hey new guy here have you ever heard the term American Jiu Jitsu before? At my MMA gym the new grappling coach says he only trains AJJ and that is what he will be teach us. Are first class with him as the lead will be in two days I just want to know what to prepare for.

Anonymous No. 137386

>>137372
Generally means no gi jits with a strong wrestling influence.

Anonymous No. 137391

>>137386
Cool I will treat it like a wrestling class, I will report back

Anonymous No. 137433

what are the best bjj gyms in nyc?

Anonymous No. 137441

Not from NYC but I know marcelo garcia has a gym there that's good. Also Danaher used to teach at Renzo Gracie NY iirc

Image not available

600x583

2cd.jpg

Anonymous No. 137443

>>136900
>>136898
How hard should I push to start doing rolls or compete? When do I know if I'm ready?

I feel like because it's a competitive sport competing keeps the learning process honest, but I also don't want to jump in without knowing enough basics that I get completely fucked up, learn nothing, and just get hurt.

Anonymous No. 137470

>>137443
Don't push it and get injured again. If you're healed up, work back into a routine of rolling at a normal level/pace.
For a tournament, you're probably plenty ready within your first 4-6months of training. All you need is a few basic things (a sub, escapes, sweeps, etc.).

Anonymous No. 137518

>>137372
It's an American that does jiujitsu, nothing more

Anonymous No. 137519

>>137433
Marcelo Garcia’s gym is there

Anonymous No. 137521

>>137518
there is a different In Japanese and Brazilian
anyway just asking a question

Anonymous No. 137590

How the fuck do I deal with sticky hooks when I am trying to bodylock pass and I am trying to sprawl away one of my legs to I can shelf the other on my hips and legs. Some people keep this hook in and I don't know how to deal with it, I cant seem to sprawl past it.

🗑️ Anonymous No. 137592

>>131188
https://youtu.be/HzKmtm2MI64

Image not available

235x232

IMG_20230226_111628.jpg

Anonymous No. 137596

Hi,

How good is the transition from Judo to Jiu-jitsu? I wanted to get into BJJ but sadly there are no gyms where I live, I thought about starting Judo while studying so that I could have some base knowledge when I will move out to a bigger city that actually has a BJJ gym. I could train judo for 2 to 3 years before moving out and getting into BJJ.

I'm new to martial arts so I guess it's always better than nothing but I wanted to know how good of a time investment would Judo be if I want to get into BJJ?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous No. 137598

>>137596

Extremely good time investment.

You will have a huge advantage when starting BJJ by doing judo first, there is so much overlap. Also Judo teaches a lot more standup game that BJJ neglects (depending on gym) that is super useful.

Start doing Judo

Anonymous No. 137636

should i study a "guard" itself or guard retention first?

Anonymous No. 137637

>>137636
Assuming by the first you mean all of the possibilities that exist from the guard, it's really a one feeds the other thing. You won't know what to retain for if you don't know it, and you won't have anything to move to if you can't retain it.

Anonymous No. 137658

>>137636
just learn close guard only and do the same armbar over and over again

Image not available

1080x972

Screenshot_202303....png

Anonymous No. 137665

U guys have any bjj thots in your gym?

Anonymous No. 137677

what seated vs standing guard do you use in no gi when youre both sweaty and its a cunt getting grips? SLX seems to work heaps better in the gi vs sweaty no gi

Anonymous No. 137704

>>137596
Doing something is better than doing nothing in nearly all cases, so do it. As someone who competes in both though, there is overlap in the techniques but the mindgames and strategy in competition are a lot different. Don't let it dissuade you though, they're both fun.

Anonymous No. 137725

>>137665
imagine the triangles

Anonymous No. 137726

>>137665
yeah and they're much hotter than yours

Anonymous No. 137738

>>137704
Would you mind explaining some of the differences in term of mindgames and strategies in competition? I think it's quite interesting

Anonymous No. 137741

since I started leaving class before cardio, I've begun to enjoy training again after a long period of feeling anxiety and depression about just going to train.

I'm on par with the pros at the gym in terms of fitness but I just get incredibly frustrated accumulating excess exercise fatigue from stupid ass P.E. style cardio sessions that aren't sport-specific and aren't in touch with exercise science, shit makes me not recover from actual strength and power workouts at the gym. I'm also an adult with a full time job and household to manage, I don't want to spend an extra 20 - 30 minutes doing burpees late in the evening instead of being home with my family. Wish the coaches were willing to pick up a book instead of doing 90s style grunt programming. feels like they're just trying to fill out the sessions with cardio when we could be doing more drilling.

Why don't people in martial arts realize that it's individual sports with team training, which means you are responsible for your own physical conditioning.

Anonymous No. 137806

rule sets aside, how much of judo and wrestling is encompassed into jiu jitsu now?

Anonymous No. 137810

>>137806
Dunno about gi, but like you said rules allowing, no gi incorporates more and more wrestling every year. Folk, free, and Greco techniques are all becoming common place anywhere that doesn't result in a dq.

Anonymous No. 137811

>>137741
>20 - 30 minutes doing burpees
Holy shit kek, thankfully our gym's warm-ups are just dynamic stretching, flow rolling or drilling.

The judo club I go to occasionally falls victim to the P.E strength and conditioning meme. Those are easily my least favorite classes. I'd rather do breakfalls or uchi-komi for half an hour.

Anonymous No. 137881

>>131188
how do i find a small guy partner to train with?? I don't like being the only guy in the class who is 5'5 and 130lbs! it feels like a joke when ur trying to learn moves with someone who is twice your size

Anonymous No. 137889

>>137881
Train with girls

Anonymous No. 137903

>>137889
NTA but what's the etiquette training with women?

As the guy from >>136727 who's planning to give BJJ a try in the near future (you all convinced me), I think it's likely that I may struggle to roll with bigger guys until I've bulked up, meaning I may end up having to roll with women - is this normal and accepted?

Anonymous No. 137938

>>137738
I'm trying to think of how to word this, but Judo matches feel a lot more like a series of smaller rounds, whereas a BJJ match is like one long round. With BJJ, if you get taken down and are in a bottom position, it's up to you to get yourself out. BJJ hardly ever has resets to a neutral position, so someone getting an advantageous position is a lot worse. Judo gets reset quite a bit comparatively. Usually it'll be gripfighting > throw attempt > little bit of groundwork > reset to standing and repeat until someone wins. But the main thing is that when you get reset to standing, it's a neutral position. If I get a great grip on someone and they throw some absolutely trash throw, I don't counter and just defend, they go turtle on the ground, it's up to me to do something in 5-10 seconds otherwise we reset and I have to work my grips again. Whereas if the same situation happens in BJJ, I've got top position turtle and if I want, can just stick top position for the next 10 minutes while it's up to them to get themselves out of a bad situation.

Because of this, BJJ tends to favour a more defensive and slower style than Judo, since one stupid mistake or movement can end up with you in a disadvantageous position for the rest of the round, whereas in Judo one stupid mistake can either lose you the match instantly, or it gets reset to neutral. Usually in my Judo matches, there will be a throw attempt in the first 30 seconds and a reset (and it's in the rules you have to attempt every 30 seconds). In BJJ it's not uncommon for a match to go 1-2 minutes before the first big attempt happens. It's usually a bit of faking/sizing up the first 30 seconds, getting small outer grips and a few feints the next 30 seconds, and then working stronger grips and takedowns after that. I'm also in the 100kg+ division for both though, where guard pulling doesn't exist in BJJ and turnovers in Judo are hardly ever attempted. There's more but I'm at character limit.

Image not available

540x706

ahsokabarriss.png

Anonymous No. 137956

Anons, who makes the best GIs quality wise?

I'm just starting out at my dojo and everyone wears Tatami, but I keep hearing god awful things about them online
Is it Fuji?

Anonymous No. 137974

>>137889
there's hardly any women in the class tho sometimes there are none.

Anonymous No. 137981

damn, gordon's They Shall Not Pass is freakin awesome

Anonymous No. 137984

>>137956
I'm sure there are other brands at Fuji's level, but it's the best one I've ever used.

Anonymous No. 138006

>>137956
Fuji is good. I wear mostly Inverted Gear at this point though.

Anonymous No. 138018

My non-pushing "bottom" foot keeps getting stuck and/or crushed under their+ my body weight when I do a hip bump sweep, even when I actually get the sweep and into top position. Any pointers?

Anonymous No. 138090

>>138018
When you do it, try and make them land directly next to where you started on the ground. So instead of hipping them backwards, turn them directly to the side. If they go backwards/diagonal then their legs/body go over your foot, whereas if you go sideways they go over your shin/thigh.

Anonymous No. 138130

>>131857
>Brazilians still dominate in every ruleset there is
Doesn't BJJ have a reputation for the most biased refereeing in the history of sports?

Anonymous No. 138131

>>131188
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-mErVHvJdko&t=92s

Anonymous No. 138147

>>138090
thanks for the pointers, i've been checking out a few different styles of doing it
brandon mccaghren seems to do it like you're describing with a more rotational movement and yanking their arm to aid in that overall spinning motion (?)

Anonymous No. 138148

>>137903
Bumping this question, still hoping for an answer

Anonymous No. 138149

>>137903
I'm 5'5" and when I started training I was 130lb, now I've bulked to 155lb but I still generally prefer to train with the women and older guys at the gym because the women are generally less "I must win every roll in training" minded and the older guys get gased in thirty seconds if they don't do a technical roll so there's generally not much risk of injury training with them.

Just train with you who want to train with and decline to train with people you don't want to train with for whatever reason. You're there to train a sport, be it as a hobby or for self-defence or whatever, not to make friends with every double digit IQ unemployed retard.

Anonymous No. 138182

>>137881
Did you try gaining weight?

Anonymous No. 138183

>>131188
I had a few classes with this dude at Renzo in Austin. If anyone wants to meet him I know the coffee shop he goes to in Austin. Also trained at Glover's place in danbury, met his trainer guy. And Than Le at 50/50. There'd actually be tons of guys coming into 50/50, I saw kenny florian once

Anonymous No. 138185

>>138148
There’s no specific etiquette because every gym is different. My last gym would explicitly say that women get to choose their partners so they pick first then everyone else grabs a partner to drill/roll. My current gym assumes everyone’s an adult and just says pick a partner around your height and weight and if the closest person is a girl, then it makes sense to go with them.

Personally, I don’t ask girls to roll with them because I’m a heavyweight but I’m happy to if they ask or if we’re the only two without a partner, and just roll
with them like I’d roll with any other small man. Usually by the time they’re colour belts though any awkwardness in asking is gone.

Anonymous No. 138199

>>137903
I like rolling with experienced women especially no gi, their seated retention is more movement based so it makes passing different

Anonymous No. 138233

>>137981
Despite being relatively popular, the Gordon instructionals are still underrated. If you actually work through his autistic logic gate style systems, you get really good quickly. His passing stuff is insanely effective.
>>138148
Really not a big deal. If they ask to roll, be normal and mindful of size/strength differences. Tbh the only awkward part of rolling with women is avoiding yanking on hair when you do a crossface or collar tie.

Anonymous No. 138290

I've been doing bjj for a bit under 6 months and today I noticed a bump on the inside of my ear. I haven't been to practice in a couple days so I know it's not recent but could it be minor cauliflower ear? It's pretty small and I could probably go my whole life without anyone noticing but I'm worried because heard it's easier to get once you have it. Should I try to have it drained?

Anonymous No. 138292

>>138290

Go to an ENT/doctor about the bump and if you're concerned about cauliflower ear then wear headgear when rolling.

Anonymous No. 138300

>>138290
Buy disposable syringes and alcohol swobs, learn to drain yourself, be hygenic

Anonymous No. 138314

>>138290
Soft or hard? Sore? Soft watery bump and sore is likely cauliflower ear. You can drain it.

Anonymous No. 138442

>>138292
How gay is it to wear headgear while rolling hm

Anonymous No. 138443

>>135006
There's way too many sweeps and attacks to look out for in the closed guard. In half guard top anyone competent can just stop you from passing by locking your leg or framing or forcing a knee into defend. It's just not ideal, not even in no-Gi.

I was rolling with a VERY strong black belt and attempted to sidestep his guard, but I was caught on top of him in a half guard. There was literally nothing I could do after he locked up my right leg. I attempted to force down an elbow choke, but he tucked his chin and wouldn't let me in, I had no top pressure and he was comfortable enough to somehow force a sweep and transition to mount. Then I was subbed by an Ezekiel choke.

Now by contrast I recently rolled with a white belt of similar experience in gi. After I passed his guard I transitioned into a back take but he was able to fight my hands and roll out of it.
But there's the thing; he used all of his strength only to go right into my closed guard and he couldn't do anything but defend against my sweep and submission attempts. Finally, he stood up and attempted to break my guard, but I grabbed ahold of his ankles and transitioned into a full mount, and he was once again forced to fight my submission attempts and exhausted, and then I was very close to executing an arm triangle but time was up.

Closed guard forces the opponent on the defensive, it's a superior position to half guard top for that reason. If your opponent somehow lets you pass out of half guard without bringing his knees in and framing back into guard, you're probably lucky.

Anonymous No. 138445

>>138443
The problem is that the meta these days is forcing half guard and then passing into mount. It is actually surprisingly easy to pass from top half guard, and especially the way john dan-no-hair and his lot do it, you can force the opponent on the bottom straight into mount. On the other hand its also pretty easy to get out of closed guard in nogi, to the point where you rarely see people bother with it except as a way of recovering guard from attempted passes or worse positions. Its possible that you may have just been caught in lockdown and didn't know how to respond to it. Idk, but you basically never see people play closed guard in nogi, and you always see people talking about how broken top half guard is and the importance of "forcing half guard", to the point where getting top half guard is actually strangely preferable to getting side control, because you get good head control in top half guard and are already parallel to the opponents body which is great for mount.

Anonymous No. 138471

Thinking about starting BJJ soon
I got two places near me: one of them is 2x a week for 90 minutes (there are advanced classes after that but I don't know what that means)
Second is a no-gi place that does 4 times a week 60 minute lessons, though it's still double the travel time

Anonymous No. 138472

>>138471
Double travel double class means more than double time traveling, with only one hour training time gained. Unless there's some other quality to the second school you find attractive, do the first.

Anonymous No. 138479

>>138442
People are eithr going to think you are a really good ex wrestler or are just an autist that physically cant be normal

Anonymous No. 138480

>>138443
in the sport of bjj closed guard in the gi is certain death, I love putting people in it because it is armbars all day for breakfast, lunch and dinner

Anonymous No. 138499

>>138480
I definitely need to get better at attacks from closed guard

>>138471
Try both gyms out by doing a walk in session, and see which you prefer based on the nature of the gym. I lucked out and found a really awesome gym in my town with excellent instructors and very conscientious members.

You MUST read up on proper etiquette before you jump into any gym. Another thing, really slow down if someone wants to roll with you. Like really slow down. Pretend like you're making moves in chess. Evaluate and assess each thing that happens and allow your partner to explain to you what's going on.

Anonymous No. 138533

Is there a BJJ variation but with takedowns and stand up game before going to the ground? (in before MMA)

Anonymous No. 138554

>>138533
>Is there a BJJ variation but with takedowns and stand up game before going to the ground? (in before MMA)
Judo has that too but it's gi only.

Anonymous No. 138568

>>138533
Yeah, it’s called ultra-heavy. Hardly anybody pulls guard because then they get a 140kg giant on top of them.

Anonymous No. 138577

>>138533
>ADCC rules (penalties for pulling guard)
>Catch wrestling

Anonymous No. 138584

>>138577
was thinking catch. funny how catch was once the biggest sport in england and the usa once upon a time then died out, now bjj is taking over again. i try to incorporate catch into my game where i can.

Anonymous No. 138613

About to start BJJ today
What stops me from getting in someone's guard, grabbing one of their wrists, putting my arm under their elbow and executing a straight arm bar?

Anonymous No. 138625

>>138613
If you think about it you will realise all of the things wrong with that

Anonymous No. 138647

>>138148
The best way to make it worse is to make it into such a big deal. Be respectful and mindful of your strength/ego spoiling the practice.
The ones at my gym prefer to roll with each other or with prepubescent boys

Image not available

513x416

halfguard.png

Anonymous No. 138648

I'm a n00b into my first month of training. We are mostly drilling half guard, which instructional is the best for grasping what we're doing?

Anonymous No. 138659

>>138648

Guardians of the Galaxy for sure

Anonymous No. 138677

>>138648
GFF Half Guard is good for a base.

Anonymous No. 138698

>>138471
Bjj has 4 belts and stripes for each belt up to 4 stripes
Most modern gyms give these stripes with time unfortunately so you need to attend x amount of classes to get first stripe then second etc
Advanced classes are for niggas that have gotten their second stripe or blue belt
Hope this applies to your gym

Anonymous No. 138703

Anyone got solo drills for guard retention?

Anonymous No. 138707

Is it true that BJJ leads to a lot of chronic injuries?

Anonymous No. 138715

>>137956
I really rate 93 Brand. I got a wild tiger gi for cheap. It's really soft, comfy and very well-made compared to my Manto X3 which feels like a piece of shitty cardboard.

Don't bother with a gay hipster Shoyoroll or retardedly expensive Origin.

Anonymous No. 138717

>>138707
The number of injuries is directly correlated to the size of your and your team's egos. You can injure yourself anytime, anywhere and I would argue that hobbyist BJJ is easier on the body than many other sports. Flexibility/mobility work in addition to your training is ESSENTIAL.

In the words of Craig Jones giving advice to white belts:
>Your body is probably not conditioned as much as you think and the likelihood of injury if you train too hard is pretty high. I'd recommend 90% positional sparring and very little free rolling, Define a win as implementing the technique your practising and not just going wild and surviving or using all your energy on one move

Anonymous No. 138718

Is it faux pas to train at multiple places at the same time? Both BJJ places I'm looking at only offer 2x a week training and I want to do more than that

Anonymous No. 138721

>>138698
Most gyms dont just give stripes for time, at least not with white belt. With white belt there is usually a curriculum of stuff that they have to do and demonstrate proficiency in for each stripe and to get to blue belt. Coloured belt promotions... I guess it depends on the place.

Anonymous No. 138726

Am I supposed to wear something under my Gi?

Anonymous No. 138733

>>138718
yes it is
if you want to establish a meaningful relationship with the coaches and other members you can’t put yourself in a situation where your loyalties are questioned

Anonymous No. 138734

>>138726
if you are a girl or sweat a lot, but traditionally the answer is no

Anonymous No. 138735

>>138734
I sweat a lot

Anonymous No. 138737

>>138733
So I'm only ever going to be able to train twice a week?

Anonymous No. 138741

>>138737
just pick one club and ask if there are more sessions than the ones listed
there usually are

Anonymous No. 138742

>>138718
That depends on whether you intend to compete or not. If you intend to compete then yes absolutely. It also makes promotions a bit weirder as one coach may promote you to one stripe and the other one not think you are ready. Generally coaches dont like that as it means that their name is still attached to you but they have no real quality control. 2X a week is probably fine provided that you do a lot of self directed learning and watching instructionals and building a great understanding of moves and positions outside of class. You can turn up 5x a week and be much worse than a guy who only turns up two or three times if all you do is hit moves in class and the other guy spends hours watching instructionals and visualising move orders and turns up to class with a focused practice plan

Anonymous No. 138745

>>138741
If there are more sessions why don't they list them?

Anonymous No. 138756

>>138718
>>138733
>>138737
>>138741
>>138745

You should definitely ask the gym if there's any way you can get more instruction or mat time before signing up with another gym, but there's no shame in rolling at two places if both offer limited schedules. "Loyalties" is an incredibly dumb reason not to train as much as you want to/can afford, you're a paying customer at these places. Any gym that has such limited sessions isn't a high caliber gym anyway.

Anonymous No. 138767

Is wearing a cup the only way of hiding boners?

Anonymous No. 138774

>>138767
Take the back, or north/south.

Anonymous No. 138778

>>138613
Active resistance, typically.

Someone trained isn't typically going to freely let you pin their arm, they're going to be grabbing at you as well such that one or both of your arms are occupied with other matters, knocking you off balance where you won't have the leverage to pull off moves like that, and wiggling like a motherfucker so they can slip out the entire time.

If you don't agree, try it and report back.

Anonymous No. 138783

>>138767
Why would you get a boner while fighting?

Anonymous No. 138797

>>138783
>Have bloodlust to defeat your rival
>Your blood-filled organ lustfully inflates
it's like pottery, anon

Image not available

600x576

677.jpg

Anonymous No. 138799

>>138737
When woman doesn't wear anything under gi

Anonymous No. 138813

Realistically, whats the difference at training in gracie bjj gym vs regular bjj one? First one is more focused on self defense and less offense I read but are there any orher differences and whats better long term?

Image not available

2048x1365

Primal-Movements.jpg

Anonymous No. 138840

I reckon somebody in this general has opinions on this:

I'm looking for one of those capoeira type hipster "primal movements" routines for beginners. What's my best bet? It doesn't have to be called primal movements, I'm just thinking dynamic movements with a combination of strength and mobility.
I've been doing BJJ for bit over a year so I have some coordination and mobility, and I've been lifting for 8 years so I have a decent strength foundation.

Anonymous No. 138857

>>138813
Gracie gyms differ depending on they kind you do, e.g. Gracie Barra vs Rilion Gracie.
Personally, if my gym focused a great deal on self defense, I would get the fuck out of there. None of the self defense techniques are applicable when you’re sparring so you’re just wasting class time on them.
If you want actual self defense then you need situational awareness and fast running over martial arts.

Anonymous No. 138877

>>138840
wushu

Anonymous No. 138906

>>138840
on grapplers guide theres a yoga routine called advanced animal movements

Anonymous No. 138967

I've been doing BJJ for about 2 and a half months and I think I'm gradually getting better at playing closed guard but I suck at half guard. I think part of the problem is that I try to hold on the full guard for too long when it's a lost cause instead of setting up my half guard properly when my opponent starts to get past. So I end up just laying flat on my back, desperately trying to hold on to their leg. Does what I'm saying make sense? I would guess the first thing to work on is making sure to get the knee shield in.

Anonymous No. 139030

Some BJJ faggot told me a BJJ black belt is worth a Judo 6th dan belt in effort to obtain.
You don't actually believe that right?
Many of the best Judoka to ever live never got 6th dan

Anonymous No. 139034

>>139030
Whatever the equivalent of "showing up consistently over 10 years" is
Would that be 3rd dan?
All in all it's silly to compare because every person is different.

Anonymous No. 139036

>>138906
thanks frend I will check it out

Anonymous No. 139075

>>139030
Shohei Ono has two olympic gold medals and six gold world championship medals and is only a fifth dan. You only get to sixth dan if you are friendly with whoever the governing body of judo is that you are under or if you have beyond a doubt proven you deserve it, Travis Stevens had to fight tooth and nail for his sixth dan and they barely wanted to give it to him, and he was a silver medalist at the olympics. Casuals are more likely to get a bjj black belt before they die than they are getting a sixth dan in judo.

Anonymous No. 139129

>>139075
Sounds like a coral "Gracie boot licker" belt in BJJ

Anonymous No. 139144

>>139030
>>139075
it’s a retarded irrelevant shit question that doesn’t matter to anyone so you can go shitpost in the judo general or make another mindless ”which sport is better” thread

Anonymous No. 139149

>>139144
No one even mentioned anything about which sport is better? It seems you are getting upset for no reason at all

Image not available

672x919

rather serious cat.png

Anonymous No. 139207

what's your favorite flavor-of-the-month move?
>learn the no-gi baseball bat choke
>begin to spam it any time i'm playing closed guard, so much so that my training partners will refuse to fall for my shitty telegraphed bait of letting them pass to side control
>can no longer hit it on anyone
>move on to another fotm technique
>repeat same process

Anonymous No. 139233

>>138840
Bren Veziroglu is a movement guy that did BJJ, and has a 10-minute routine adapted to every skill level. I also like Lee Weiland.
A keep-it-simple-stupid routine would be:
>deep squat combined 30 minutes per day
>dead hanging however much you can up to 5 min
>horse stance however much you can up to 5 min

Image not available

1000x1278

1519249024001.jpg

Anonymous No. 139247

Constant pressure to compete and little to no support from those same people.

Lowkey hate my gym. If the striking coaches weren’t good I’d switch to the gi gym in town.

Image not available

450x630

booba.png

Anonymous No. 139532

Have my first lesson Friday, any tips or resources so I don't look like a retard on my first day?

Anonymous No. 139536

>>139532
You'll probably look like a retard.
It doesn't matter.
Just make sure you don't smell bad, don't do anything stupid that could hurt someone, and listen to the coaches.

Anonymous No. 140008

>>134232
>just do it bro
kek, you'd be a great teacher

Anonymous No. 140258

>>137596
You learn things in Judo that you'll never learn in BJJ, and it will be a massive asset when starting BJJ. These things you'll learn are universally useful, stuff like footwork, balance, dynamic & explosive movement, etc. Judo -> BJJ produces better athletes with better scrambling skills when compared to starting BJJ first. It's similar to the advantage wrestlers have when they start BJJ. Just make sure you're at a serious club with a competition focus, and for bonus points you can approach Judo newaza with a BJJ mindset, i.e. less stalling out on bottom, more scrambles and submissions

t. Judo black belt who started BJJ a few months ago

Anonymous No. 140946

>>139247
What kind of "support" are you expecting?

Anonymous No. 140951

>>136830
What kind of fucking gym is that where 140 lbs one stripe white belts are subbing blue belts? I've been training for 2.5 years and have never seen anything like it. The only white belts submitting blue belts at my gym are big and strong dudes that have a big strength advantage.
I would honestly question the quality of my gym/trainer if I were you.

Anonymous No. 140973

>>140951

Yea since I made that post I've come to question that also because it continues to happen. We recently had a brown belt leave our gym to go somewhere more competitive because he basically could submit anyone and had no more competition other than the instructor. There are no other brown belts at our school and only 2 aging black belts. I think once I hit blue belt I'll have to change gyms to go somewhere more competitive.

Anonymous No. 141036

>>140973
Look for a gym where the members are known to compete in tournaments regularly, even if you yourself don't want to compete. It's the best indicator of a proper gym.