Image not available

636x358

oil-check.jpg

🧵 Mastering your wrestling and grappling

Anonymous No. 136155

I've never practitioned this kind of sports so I can only post a youtube video like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ALEeReC3u5Y&t=2s but those who know something about wrestling and grappling can discuss

Image not available

839x562

1676343769179527.gif

Anonymous No. 136171

People who started bjj after me are starting to get better than me, I've been stuck in a rut. Should I just give up? I'm a two stripe white belt 9 months in.

Anonymous No. 136172

>>136171

Ask your coach what's holding you back.

Anonymous No. 136215

>>136171
do you think you'd be better at jiu jitsu in 10 years than you are now? Do you think having that would make your life better over all at that time? Then keep training. Doesn't matter if you're shit and horribly untalented. You're gonna be better in 10 years than now, and that time's gonna pass either way. ALSO, once you KNOW where you're making the mistake, it'll get much easier because you can ask the coach what you're doing wrong. Sometimes it can be a simple adjustment that takes 5 minutes to learn.

Anonymous No. 136231

>>136155
If a dude jammed his fingers in my asshole like that I would literally slash that faggot's throat.

Anonymous No. 136235

>>136171
Did three courses bjj, took out the trainer.
Quit right after.
No IV used like the dagistani cheaters.

Anonymous No. 136239

>>136171
You have to look at your weak points and start to fix them. Do you have any guard passes that you are good at? If not look on instructionals on one. Do you have a good open guard? If not look at videos, ask upper belts and coach and focus on getting good open guard. Are you good at getting out of mount? If not then look up how to get out and practice etc. Work on one thing at a time and over time the holes in your game will get much weaker than if you just do the moves that the coach shows you. That a la carte method gives you a broad knowledge of the whole spectrum of BJJ moves but doesn't give you an in depth knowledge on anything. Your coach isn't going to spend a month working with the class on a certain move set, but that's what you need to be good

Anonymous No. 136265

>>136231
This.

You can have your victory. Stick you finger in my ass like that and I'm sticking my finger in your eye socket and pulling it out of your faggot head.

Anonymous No. 136267

>>136171
You're nothing in the grand scheme of things yet. Eat the pain until you get to blue.

Anonymous No. 136309

>>136155
Sticking fingers into buttholes during wrestling should be considered sexual assault.

Anonymous No. 136690

>>136231
>>136309
>>136265

>”u-u-um st-stop fingering m-me. I’m gonna—
>pulls out knife
>instantly has wrist locked to the mat by assaulter’s hand.
>he continues to finger you, licking his fingers for lube
>you scream and thrash about how he s a faggot, but you’re the bottom here. Everyone is watching this faggot mog you
>he takes the knife and slashes your throat
>he no longer has need for a used up, loose-butt-slut.

Anonymous No. 136692

>>136171
>I'm a two stripe white belt 9 months in
Normal to suck at this point in your journey, and normal to get stuck here too. Also realize that just going to class is usually not enough, especially if you're at a mediocre gym that shows random unrelated techniques every class
>>136239
This is pretty good advice. Focus on specific things. For white belts, pin escapes and guard retention should be priority

Anonymous No. 136702

>>136692
>Normal to suck at this point in your journey, and normal to get stuck here too.

Appreciate this. I think if I can manage to get side control escapes down perfectly I'll finally get moved up. Not that I really care about the stripes but I feel like I've hit a brick wall with progressing in general.

Image not available

1080x1993

1665960307411630.jpg

sage No. 138167

>>136690

Anonymous No. 138348

>>136692
>This is pretty good advice. Focus on specific things. For white belts, pin escapes and guard retention should be priority
I feel like maybe thats not a great idea. If you are too defensive then you don't really get a feel for the positions. Trying to attack imo is generally a better option, not as in do lots of submissions, but just learning how to attack each major position and advance position helps you get a feel for how the positions work more than just trying to avoid getting passed. Of course some basic escapes at the very start are super important, otherwise you will just sit on the bottom position and get crushed all the time, but after getting those very simple escapes down attacking guards and attacking from open guard or trying to advance position will give you more of an idea of what you are meant to do in each position. You aren't meant to just try and stay in guard all of the time, you WILL eventually get tired and get passed, you NEED to learn first how to attack, and pure guard retention stuff without attacking should be used only to give you enough time and space to launch an attack from guard. To ape bald kiwi jitsu man you cant just stay in a defensive cycle. Learn basic attacks (not as in submission attacks), then learn defenses.

Anonymous No. 138353

>>138348
If people can't keep you in a pin or pass your guard, you can attack with less risk. Of course I'm not advocating for ONLY doing defensive techniques, but they should be a focus while you inevitably learn other offensive techniques. Students should be rolling and playing with top positions/submissions, but for skill development, it's very important to build a good defensive foundation.
>bald kiwi jitsu man
Danaher is the person that advocates guard retention and pin escapes as essential skills for beginners (in his Lex Fridman interview & BJJ Fanatics vids). If you watch old DDS matches, they rarely get pinned in the event that someone actually passes their guard. They can work through submission systems and spam potentially risky attacks because they don't care if someone gets mount.

Anonymous No. 138364

>>138353
Defensive skills are obviously needed as they allow confidence when attacking. But telling white belts to focus on defense will probably lead to more of a focus on watching endless pin escape videos of "the top 5 escapes you NEED to know as a white belt" instead of understanding what you are actually meant to do when you are in various positions. It is tempting for a white belt who hears about how you should "just survive" to try and cram various escapes in, instead of working most productively, which is to build a game plan in which you have a set move roster that you develop in order to advance positions.

You will be garbage, and will be caught out many times, but then because you have a game plan you can focus on which parts in the chain are weakest until they get better, and then move onto the new weakest. In order to build this game plan you have to develop attacks, once again not as in kimura or head and arm choke attacks, but like tripod sweep, or moving to single leg x from dlr. Telling a white belt to focus on defense sounds intuitive, and its sort of correct in the grand scheme of things, but I don't think its a good pedagogical tool, as they don't learn how the positions fit together, something that is especially true in open guard which has a notoriously steep learning curve in nogi. I know it sounds way more complicated, but a basic barebones script like "ok so when you are in this position do X, and when he probably does Y shimmy yourself under his feet and get slx and sweep, or hook your leg like this into dlr and then hook behind his other leg and tripod sweep him" can work wonders for helping a newbie to
1. Feel like he is making progress and is in control
2. Understand how some of the less obvious or trickier positions fit together. Because understanding side control or mount is easy, but there are a lot of weirder more neutral positions that they are more likely to spend time in and its these positions that can really fuck with you.

Anonymous No. 139186

>>138167
>>136690
>>136231
>>136309
>>136265
During a wrestling meet in high school some guy on the other team stuck his finger up my teammate's ass. My teammate went into an adrenaline rage like I've never seen in my life, lifted the kid above his head, and managed to throw him from about the center of the mat to about the edge hard enough that he slid onto the wooden floor of the gymnasium. The faggot from the other team didn't get back up and he was taken out on a stretcher. Our guy stormed off the mat and yelled, "He put his FINGER up my BUTT HOLE!" and to my knowledge he never got in trouble for hospitalizing the other guy with an uncontrolled throw. I'd never seen a man throw another man his own size like that before and I doubt I'll ever see it again.