Image not available

640x525

wahoovsgarmin.png

🧵 /MTB/ Mountain Bike General

Anonymous No. 136163

Cycling Computer Edition:
Tell us why your cycling computer is the best and the other is for homosexuals.

I went with Wahoo because they were at the right price but it's been fucking up on my last few rides and now I don't want to go with Garmin because I have 4 bikes and I don't want to change out the wahoo mounts for garmin mounts on all of them, or have to buy new cadence and speed sensors.

FAQ on buying a bike that nobody reads anyway:
> What good bike can I get for under $500?
a stolen bike. Possibly a newer used entry level hardtail but don't expect it to survive rock gardens, jumps, or drops. Or an older mtb which won't be as good as newer ones and will still have a front derailleur, but it'll be good enough.
> What good bike can I get for under $1000
Used hardtail
> What good bike can I get for under $2000?
New Hardtail
> What good bike can I get for under $3000?
Used full suspension
> What are the excellent value brands?
Marin, Commencal, Canyon, Polygon, YT, Propain, Kona, and many more. Sometimes the expensive brands have an excellent value bike
> What are the differences between an XC, Trail, Enduro, and Downhill bikes?
XC bikes are for going up fast, go down not as fast. Trail are bikes are for going up and down. Enduro bikes are for going down fast, and slower up. Downhill bikes are for going down really fast, needs a ski lift, truck, or the rider pushing it to go up.

Link to previous thread:
>>132399

Image not available

641x641

1639827586801.jpg

Anonymous No. 136201

Do you guys still wear masks when riding? I still wear my balaclavas since they keep my ears from freezing and they keep the sweat out of my eyes

Anonymous No. 136202

>>136201
post picture of you in your bank robbery setup

Anonymous No. 136207

>>136201
I ride with some people who wear them when it's like 50-ish. I don't plan on getting one, but I do want to get a thermal skull cap for under my helmet to protect my ears.

Anonymous No. 136214

>>136201
>Do you guys still wear masks when riding?
People do this?
>still
Still?

Anonymous No. 136217

I went with Wahoo, but I have used Garmin in the past. Honestly there is mi imal difference between them unless you are wanting the enthusiast features, like Garmin's air time calculator.

I only went wahoo because everyone else I rode with had one and I didn't want to be the odd one out.

Fun fact also, it doesn't matter what brand your sensors and computer as they communicate via the the ANT+ industry standard.

Also, wearing ski masks while riding? Where the fuck do you guys live? I would go shirtless if there wasn't the risk of tearing up my chest and back if I crash.

Anonymous No. 136218

What are good websites or authors I can follow to read up on some honest opinions and reviews on this shit? What are some marketing gimmicks I should be aware of?

Anonymous No. 136248

>>136163
Ok What the Fuck

Anonymous No. 136285

I don't ride with a computer, If I wanted to stare at a screen I would stay inside

Image not available

3072x4080

PXL_20230217_2209....jpg

Anonymous No. 136296

I gave the bike a wash and looks like despite crashing it twice, the only noticeable damage are some scratches on the fork's decal. I am a little concerned about damaging the brake hose in a similar crash in the future, but they're lined with kevlar. I don't know how well kevlar holds up against abrasion and I hope it wasn't just a marketing gimmick because Hope and Trickstuff have steel braided brake lines.

Image not available

2016x1512

PXL_20230218_0210....jpg

Anonymous No. 136304

>>136296
do you leave it hanging on the outer side of the shock when you ride? Mine is tucked tightly inside the shock and attached to the front shock plate thing

Image not available

3264x2448

IMG_20230216_1848....jpg

Anonymous No. 136307

>>136296
>>136304
I have had zero problems with cables being abraded away, Usually anything that a cable is rubbing up against is down to bare metal within 2-3 months.

I have also honestly stopped caring about what superficial scratches my bike parts have as I don't really sell my used parts I usually use it until it breaks or wears out. I also had my bike called clapped out today
>which is a fair assement based solely on how the bike looks and the one pedal that had a completely worn out busing on the driveside that he used to adjust the shifting.

because the guy at the shop who I wanted to straighten my deraileur hanger heard my pool noodle style insert rattling in my rear tire. I bought a new helmet (specialized tactic 4) to replace pic related, and they didn't charge me to straighten my hanger because he couldn't get it shifting right. He also adjusted it with the clutch off. I don't think he really knew what he was talking about since my spoke tension was dead on, and most of my parts aside from my drivetrain and my pedals are in perfect working order.

anyways that led me to think about something.

Do you guys run any parts that are visually beat up but still perfectly functional, like some aluminum cranks/pedals that have seen a lot of rock strikes or a fork who's lowers are covered in nicks and gouges like >>136296 or do you just end up always buying new stuff.
I'm guessing most of you just don't crash your bike?

Anonymous No. 136308

>>136304
>>136307
Actually, I'm supposed to have it run through the inside of the fork. I don't know why I didn't do it on this bike since that's what I have on my others.
I only replace items if they're seriously worn through or broken. The OneUp alloy pedals on my other bike are covered in scratches from pedal strikes and I have no plans to replace them. Back when I had Shimano XT, I broke the shifter on a crash but it still functioned properly so I kept using it for several rides. I only replaced it because the shifting wasn't anywhere near as crisp as it could have been.
I'm not going to replace this fork since it's just damage to the decals. I was considering replacing the decal before the crash to match the bronze on the bike, but I like the way the scratches look, now it really is one of my bikes.

Anonymous No. 136332

>>136307
I only replace damaged items if they seriously affect the performance. Scratches and dents tell a story and this stuff is meant to be used and abused.

Unless it's a helmet. If it's dented or cut like in your pic I replace immediately. I've seen too many brain injuries to fuck around with worn out safety equipment and helmets are cheap - some manufacturers give you a discount if you replace your broken helmet for a new one.

Anonymous No. 136406

thoughts on giant bikes?

Anonymous No. 136462

>>136406
I prefer regular sized bikes myself but they'd be good for someone like shaq

Anonymous No. 136499

>>136406
I think they are alright, the giant shop near me only is kind of shit, I haven't ridden any or know anyone who owns one. The only thing I have heard is that the old Glory's were good dh bikes and that they are a budget brand with little to no racing pedigree, but that has little to do with making a good bike now. I will say that their Enduro bike looks decent. It has lots of marketing buzzwords but looking at the bikes geo makes it seem like the marketing and engineering sides of giant are totally seperate.

Image not available

400x400

1674509331816923.jpg

Anonymous No. 136501

>knee not healing
Looks like 22 is the age I turned from zoomer to boomer. I wont simply just bounce and continue next time I fall. Its over, I need an ebike now

Anonymous No. 136505

>wear elbow and knee pads
>don't fall, great ride
>skip wearing pads, going to just be a chill ride
>crash
every time sisters

Anonymous No. 136507

>>136499
my first bike was a budget Giant hardtail. Rode it for like almost 3 years. Loved that bike. Was about $600ish, 100m of trails.

Image not available

640x782

que-mierda-te-pas....jpg

Anonymous No. 136509

>>136501
It's not over yet. I saw a guy with one leg HAULING ASS up a mountain road one time.

>>136406
They're good but I hope you're not planning to get a Talon for mountain biking.

Anonymous No. 136514

>>136509
whats wrong with getting a used shitty hardtail giant bike to try out mtb?

Anonymous No. 136522

>>136514
Nothings wrong with it being a giant, but cheap bikes dont last in general no matter the brand.

Anonymous No. 136523

>>136514
The Talon isn't really a mountain bike. It's really a hybrid bike for people who think they need a suspension for riding on the unpaved walkways that run through their city or else their wrists will explode. The Fathom is a better bike that will handle real singletrack. It's just hard to tell someone that doesn't know anything about mtb and wants to get into it because they saw some cool videos that they shouldn't get the $600 Giant, they should get the one that costs $1200 and looks the same. They're not going to know what I'm talking about when I mention thru axles, geometry, and start rambling off about blue trails and fire roads.

Anonymous No. 136548

I'm thinking about getting the specialized stumpjumper alloy, they're on sale for 2100.
Thoughts? Alternatives you'd recommend at the price point?
I'm 5'7" and their site says I should get s2 size but I also fit in their s3 range.

Anonymous No. 136565

>>136548
I would suggest you check out the Canyon Spectral and Torque since they're also on sale but the longer travel Spectral is out of stock and the Torque is in a different category.
The Stumpy is a good bike, it's probably the most common bike on my trails.

Anonymous No. 136568

>>136505
>make it through the whole day without incident
>get hung up on a log and crash on the last lap
>tear open forearm

Anonymous No. 136576

>>136565
thx for the suggestions.
I'm not sure I want more travel because I'm not a very aggressive rider right now. The Spectral 125 al 6 with similar travel is an intriguing alternative. Looks like a longer wheelbase but less travel in the rear? And then sram vs shimano components.
The stumpy I can buy at a local shop and at least ride around in the parking lot before I commit which is kinda appealing. Looks like I'd have to buy the canyon online and have it shipped.

Anonymous No. 136586

>>136307
Update, I have a mild concussion, and am having some minor difficulty remembering things, mostly where I put stuff. Like my phone, the derailleur hanger I had the day I went to the shop.
The doctor said to not do any physical or mental exercise which is difficult because I'm an engineering student with 3 tests this week

Anonymous No. 136589

>>136586
Jesus anon. Take care of yourself. Glad to hear it's only mild and that you still remember to come back here. Good luck on your tests. I would offer to help but i'm far too retarded for it.

Anonymous No. 136590

>>136586
holy hell. Have the doctor give you a note and get out of taking the tests temporarily.

Shit I'm going to buy a better helmet.

Anonymous No. 136594

>>136576
As someone who owned a Spectral, I would still say get the stumpy. Canyon QC has gone downhill and at least if you get the bike from the shop, you'll be able to take it back to them to fix things. If you have to send the Canyon back, you'll need to get another big ass box if you threw yours out and deal with that.
As for the travel, don't worry about it. My bike has 130mm travel in the front and 120mm in the rear and it's a more capable bike up and downhill but that's an unfair comparison because I'm a much better rider than I used to be when I had the Spectral, and my bike is a 29er while my Spectral was 27.5.
Both my MTBs have SRAM components (GX AXS, XX1) and I still prefer Shimano. DESU, it's not a big deal. I don't think SRAM shifts as well as Shimano but it's not a big enough difference for me to wish I had Shimano and I have no plans to dump my SRAM components if I can Shimano XT or XTR in stock.

Image not available

272x316

1624762619037.gif

Anonymous No. 136595

>>136163
For me, it's a garmin fenix. No need to mount it to anything, works for any sport, and has been working great for ~5 years. Can be had for cheap if you buy refurbished. Mine cost $270 canuckistani dollarinos back when I got it
>>136505
>Biking vacation planned for end of season
>Last local ride before trip
>"I'll leave my kneepads in the car, these trails are pretty chill"
>Wipe out on a corner, and a stem bolt removed a strip of skin from my knee that's too wide for stitches
>Trip was still great despite gaping wound on my knee
Could've been worse I suppose lmao

Anonymous No. 136606

>>136586
>>136589
>>136590
Yeah, what they said. Get that note ASAP and just hope your professors aren't sociopaths. I've heard stories of students with miscarriages or deaths and their professors just got weirdly angry at them.

Anonymous No. 136611

>>136606
This is 2023, just spread the word that a teacher is trying to fail a student for having a concussion and get this settled, what kind of world do you guys live in

Anonymous No. 136613

>>136548
Look at a Norco Sight or fluid. Norco are still on the cheaper side and their bikes have really good geo (especially the sight).

Image not available

678x525

1676460878403029.png

Anonymous No. 136620

carbon wheels, are they a meme on a big travel mtb? tell me your expensive experiences

Anonymous No. 136636

>>136606
engineering professors are fucking psycho
>t. engineer

Anonymous No. 136641

>>136590
>>136606
>>136636
yes engineering professors are psycho, but as an autist with too much attention to detail and some hyperfixations (specifically plastic part design). I see myself in them.
>>136611
Thanks guys, I am going to try and move my Thermodynamics test till next week, but honestly all the material we are testing on I already learned.

Anonymous No. 136642

>>136641
clarification, one of my professors have the hyperfixation on plastic part design not me.

mine is mountain biking.

Anonymous No. 136643

>>136641
>termo midterm with a concussion
god help you. That was the worst 4 months of my life. Passed with a C-

Image not available

960x540

Moose Stuff.jpg

Anonymous No. 136650

>>136501
Don't worry, that knee will come back and get its revenge in your late 30s and remain a thorn in your side forever.

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20230204_2137....jpg

Anonymous No. 136661

>>136620
Not a meme but if you're talking big travel, I assume you mean an enduro, freeride, or DH bikes and you'll be running some heavy duty tires. Your tires will weigh more than the wheels.
Fanatik found the new FR541 alloy rim for freeride and DH to be indestructible but it's heavy. I don't know what you're looking for in carbon rims but I love all the ones I own (4 wheelsets among 3 bikes, 2 of them for my gravel bike) because the low weight makes them incredibly agile when weaving through trees and there is a noticeable improvement in acceleration. They're also very strong and they have really great warranties, often lifetime, depending on who you buy from. I haven't broken any carbon rims yet but if I do, they'll just send me new ones for free under warranty

Anonymous No. 136720

>>136201
please dont tell me people wore masks for covid doing mtb

Anonymous No. 136721

>>136620
Ran some mid-range Rovals on my Enduro bike.

They were great. Acceleration was better and the bike was more nimble through corners and in the air. Only stopped using them because I got a new bike.

Anonymous No. 136734

>>136720
Who cares are you the fucking mask police? The other guy was talking about cold weather riding, shitlord.

Image not available

655x527

1671916277539676.jpg

Anonymous No. 136739

>>136661
>assume you mean an enduro, freeride, or DH bikes
Thanks anon yes, so reserves are a good option then? judging by the warranty support
had a set of alu dt ex1700s for 2 years so far and they've been great but just want to try some carbon ones

Image not available

1239x743

reeee clutch.jpg

Anonymous No. 136742

>>136594
>Both my MTBs have SRAM components (GX AXS, XX1) and I still prefer Shimano. DESU, it's not a big deal. I don't think SRAM shifts as well as Shimano
This is my experience, if only shimano could waterproof their clutch mechanism better - the whole assembly is rusty after 3 months use in wet climates and then you're basically fucked even if you regrease the thing. At least the slx/xt are a lot cheaper than the equivalent sram mechs.
DESU the next one I buy I will take apart immediately and grease the spring & clutch axle properly.

Anonymous No. 136786

>>136739
How much do the Reserves cost? They're durable according to Danny MacAskill's torture tests. I personally prefer to get mine custom built since they still have great prices.

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20230219_2211....jpg

Anonymous No. 136815

> wrists feel good enough to ride again
> wrist supports arrive in the mail
> get excited to ride again
> catch tonsilitis and it's going to rain for at least a week starting tomorrow

It's not fair. My usual trails are still wet from before since they don't get any sun and the soil is clay.
Looks like I'll be sticking to riding my gravel bike on smooth gravel and pavement for the next 2-3 weeks

Anonymous No. 136829

>>136734
I thought he was talking about the facediapers too. I figure you'd wear a full face if you needed to keep warm while winter riding

Image not available

700x788

midgekite.jpg

Anonymous No. 136879

>>136786
the fact they send you a whole new wheel instead of just a rim is pretty nice
can't go wrong with 350 hubs either or i9 if you want silly engagement
they're about ÂŁ1600 here for 350 sl or hd

Image not available

3024x2268

PXL_20230223_1858....jpg

Anonymous No. 136882

>>136815
ayy gravelsister hope you feel better. We had a storm yesterday too so I'm riding my gravel bike

Anonymous No. 136936

why do mtb look like shit

Image not available

1660x1660

sba-mtb-max-camer....png

Anonymous No. 136948

Is it worth it? Do you have one?

Image not available

1440x1080

baiku 3.jpg

Anonymous No. 136951

>>136163
im the anon who was complaining about my 9s frankendrivetrain skipping gears n shit last thread
i did a hanger alignment and it only needed a teeny tweek but that didnt fix it
what did was chainlube
after all this time and all the bullshit ive done to this bike the problem was the lack of lube on the chain
im pretty retarded honestly
feels good to finally have nice smooth gears though

Image not available

1440x1080

baiku 2.jpg

Anonymous No. 136952

>>136951
love me new chinese frame bag too
looks ugly from the back, makes my bike look like some jank ass ebike lol, so much better having my drink and pump not exposed to the mud anymore

Image not available

1280x800

image.png

Anonymous No. 136953

>>136948
yooooo

Anonymous No. 136954

>>136936
post bike that doesnt then
>inb4 gravel bike

Image not available

1920x1080

jmpnightride.mp4_....jpg

Anonymous No. 136955

>>136948
I use a DJI Osmo Action 2 since it's way cheaper and doesn't overheat. At $200, it's well worth it. I considered getting an insta360 but it's expensive and I don't want to break something like that in a crash

Anonymous No. 136956

>>136955
I was thinking of the Go2 but battery only lasts like 20 minutes max. I was thinking of getting an used hero8 or 9. I need 1 hour recording as I want to race and do the MoH this year

Image not available

1920x1080

1205ride.mp4_snap....jpg

Anonymous No. 136959

>>136956
I can't speak for gopros since I've never used one, but I assume you can connect a power bank to it and charge it like with my osmo

Anonymous No. 136983

what kind of grease/lube are you guys using?

Anonymous No. 136986

>>136983
i like coconut oil i find it keeps my butthole well lubricated for long sessions

Anonymous No. 137012

>>136951
>after all this time and all the bullshit ive done to this bike the problem was the lack of lube on the chain
No one could have guessed you weren't doing this

Image not available

800x533

gt-force-pro-2014....jpg

Anonymous No. 137014

What do you mean? Several look beautiful! I love the colors on the 2014 GT Force.

Anonymous No. 137016

>>136983
Wet chain lube it's just easier to know when my chain is dry, Lucas red n tacky for most bolts and bearings. Marine grease for things that get dunked underwater.

Image not available

500x500

1677277720267294.jpg

Anonymous No. 137018

>>136983
this shit
idk if its good loob or not but its got a funny monkey on it and it works for me
>>137012
honestly i forgot chain lube was even a thing that exists
i thought all it did was slightly decrease wear and give a few watts or something i never thought a lack of lube could cause the indexing to fuck up

Anonymous No. 137033

thinking about bikes...

Anonymous No. 137036

>>136983
>>137016
if you guys read about one man going into autistic detail about comparing chains and chain lubes this is your website
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au

this article if you want it in a more digestable format
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/fast-chain-lube-that-saves-you-money/

From reading on these websites it seems that the key to making a chain and drivetrain last is using a wax/emulsion based drip lube or just waxing your chain. that and making sure to actually clean it every once in a while. that and 12 speed chains outlast everything else.

Anonymous No. 137037

>>136983
MucOff C3 Ceramic Lube. I have the dry and wet version for depending on the conditions. Out of all the lubes I have tried it is the best for friction, long lasting, consistent and clean.

Image not available

932x590

objectively a shi....png

Anonymous No. 137040

>>137037
MucOff
>opinion discarded

Anonymous No. 137046

>>137040
>tests about durability nuances after 10,000 kilometers
>done in one night, about 0.040 kilometers of cycling
>results checked with eyeballs and iPhone cameras
>data from results are multiplied by a million to be made relevant

And somehow chain lubes remains one of the most hotly debated component choices in cycling

Anonymous No. 137049

>>136983
You have no idea how good this shit smells. But it doesn't lasts alot, 2 rides before I hear chain making noises

Image not available

410x1190

Screenshot_202302....jpg

Anonymous No. 137050

>>137049
Forgot pic

Anonymous No. 137051

>>137040
Why is the opinion disregarded?

All that data shows is that muc-off lube is middle of the pack for chain wear. Which doesn't really mean much if you actually maintain your bike.

>>137050
The bottom Muc-Off sucks. You need to get the C3 Ceramic stuff.

Anonymous No. 137058

>>137033
lewd...

Anonymous No. 137059

>>137036
>12 speed chains outlast everything else.
thats surprising i was under the impression the thinner chains wore out faster

Anonymous No. 137060

>>137046
its roadie nonsenese desu, muh watts n shit
just buy something appropriate for your environment and itl be fine
so i guess something dry for a dusty environment and something that says its waterproof for a wet muddy environment
and thats probably the most that matters

Image not available

535x600

1662612321142.gif

Anonymous No. 137061

>>137058
>ride my bike
>dont think about anything at all
>do anything but ride my bike
>think about bikes

Anonymous No. 137062

>>137050
lol I have this shit too. Smells great but only works for a few rides and I have to relube. It's like milk pouring out. I'll probably switch to something else once I run out.

>>137016
>Lucas red n tacky
I didn't realize you can use that on bolts and bearings. I have a tube of NLGI#2 grease that I use for my cars so I guess I'll go with that

Anonymous No. 137064

>>137061
tats how it be lel

Image not available

300x300

chain lube.jpg

Anonymous No. 137072

>>136983

Anonymous No. 137095

>>136951
>>136952
btw does anyone have any guess as to what make or model my bike actually is?
one of the previous owners spraycanned it black so theres no logos
i can see from spots where its flaked off that it was bright red or at least partially
im in england if that makes a difference
drivetrain was almost certainly 3x9 originally but maybe 2x9
i dont think the stem and bars are original
id say it was mid level in that it had alot of decent stuff on like hydros and the 9s but its all clearly the lowest end of that stuff, plastic derailleur and shifter and such
so potentially a department store bike?
perhaps a decathlon one?
bb and cranks are octalink though so thats fancy
im rly not familiar with modern bike stuff so im not rly sure what it mightive costed originally
probably an absurd amount given how the bike market is nowadays

Anonymous No. 137103

>>137051
Yes but different kinds of chainwax make your chain last 5-10 times longer than using mucoff products. And other brands of drip lube will make your chain last 1.5-3 times as long.

I think that when a chain costs $30-60 having it last even 50%longer is worth buying some fancy overpriced chain lube.

Anonymous No. 137111

>>137103
That is kind of a meaningless point when some of those lubes both cost several times more than Muc-Off's C3 Ceramic and cost the same as a new top end chain. The wear figures cited by that website are extrapolated, that begs the question of what is the actual wear of the chain when you are maintaining the chain propertly.

Also, the quality of a lube is dependent on several other factors: (1) drive train friction, (2) ability to repell contaminants and (3) how long it lasts before you need to reapply the lube. IMO drive train friction and ability to repell contaminants is more important than wear.

Everyone has their go lube, and that is fine. But in my experience Muc-Off's C3 Ceramic lubes strike a great balance between being cost-effective, providing great drive train friction, great at repelling contaminants (especialy the lube for wet conditions) and being long lasting. Depending on the riding you are doing (e.g. you actually race seriously) it might make sense to buy a different lube.

Anonymous No. 137114

There are a lot of people in my regional gravel group who have a slow cooker dedicated solely to chain wax. They have two chains they alternate from. When one chain is dirty, they take it off, shake it in a jar of kerosine or gasoline to get the dirt and wax off, then they shake it in a jar of rubbing alcohol to get the solvent off, then they let it dry, stick it in the slow cooker full of wax, pull it out and let it dry, then wait until it's time to replace the other chain with it and repeat the process. If you're dead set on having maximum efficiency, this is what you do, me, I just alternate between muc off dry and wet lube depending on the season. It's biodegradable, cheap, and works well.

Anonymous No. 137120

I use SCC tech now after trying a few different lubes including squirt wax and immersion wax but I wouldn’t be opposed to using basically fucking whatever as long as it doesn’t have any real drawbacks like flinging oil everywhere, or gunking up surfaces with solid/debris, or an application process longer than 30 seconds

Image not available

2048x1536

IMG_20230226_100837.jpg

Anonymous No. 137179

Went out and bought a stumpy yesterday.
And of course it started dumping snow on the drive home, and hasn't stopped since.
I'm fucking losing my mind I want to ride this thing.

Anonymous No. 137219

Trek's bolts are made of the softest metal I've ever seen I swear to god I've tightened plastic bolts that don't deform as much as these pieces of shit

>that will be $65+tip

Image not available

872x544

20230226_233223.jpg

Anonymous No. 137237

>remove to inflate/deflate tire
>gets lost
Everysingle time. I'm confident there's a negro goblin around me that steals the valve cap everytime I remove them. Never relax

Anonymous No. 137244

>>137237
same lel
>>137179
go ride in the snow retard its fun

Anonymous No. 137259

>>137237
I lost the one for my air shock and I'm still butthurt because the stock cap on a rockshox super deluxe rct3 shock is a cool looking black anodized metal cap. I replaced it with a cheap plastic cap that looks nowhere near as cool

Image not available

3264x2448

16774679333348284....jpg

Anonymous No. 137273

>>137259
You can buy replacements. They are like $6 though

>>137237
You don't need them it's just extra weight I only carry
>Pic related
because its an easy way to carry a valve core tool and it goes on the best place for a valve core tool to be located, on the valve core.

Anonymous No. 137332

Woah, this board is all over the place! Some good suggestions though. How many people came to MTB through BMX?
I went MTB, chased out because I was poor and fast, to BMX via that Hi5 episode, and back to MTB where I broke L1. I have a Mk1 Nomad called Pinky and like to ride jymps and stuff but I borrowed a 29er and really got into long did distance rides.

Anyway, I feel like I feel for the injured riders, I feel for the newbies; it was hard pre-internet, but in a lot of ways it’s harder when you look at these guys on dope 10k bikes who ride how you want to but realistically you could have a blast just riding with the right people. In the UK there’s a lot of people with golf money and “the jump was this big” mentality who scare the newbies off.

Sorry for rambling, I’m day drinking and was thinking of anhero, but since reading this I think I’m gonna go ride. So thanks, guys. I’m glad you’re here.

Sorry again, I’m a long time /b/ lurker and this may be a little inappropriate but at least it’s honest man?

Love ya!

Anonymous No. 137350

>>137095
idk but you should get your forks looked at by a mechanic. Your stantions are pretty worn

Image not available

640x835

suicidetv.jpg

Anonymous No. 137355

>>137332
If you feel like committing not alive, it's because you're not riding enough.

Anonymous No. 137368

>>137350
no thats just overspray, i need to get some pain thinner and clean that off

Anonymous No. 137370

>>137332
>thinking of anhero, but since reading this I think I’m gonna go ride.
i know that feel mang
im a suicidal tranny and going innawoods on my bike is one of the few things keeping me alive rn

Image not available

335x383

1676963884475040.jpg

Anonymous No. 137403

>>137370
>suicidal tranny
Every single time kek. Post bike

Anonymous No. 137409

>>137332
>“the jump was this big” mentality who scare the newbies off.
Damn people are fucking beta
t. watched rampage and wanted to do big scary jumps

Anonymous No. 137415

>>137332
I got into MTB during the COVID during June and am the guy who bought the old Enduro bike for $700 after getting my first job and car from working fast food during the winter.
Also like every other person already does I think you should make your mountain bike your therapist.

I am probably one of the riders who scares of newbies by always going on long (for most people) rides and going on "big" jumps I still don't know how to ride dirtjumps. But I always make sure to encourage everyone no matter what their skill level is. But I think that I may be accidentally coming off as condescending since the guy who just did the big scary gap is telling you how awesome you are for learning how to jump the smallest tabletop might come off wrong. Most kids at the pumptrack seem to respond well when you praise them on what they did well or better that run. For adult women and men telling them how awesome they did is sort of a Litmus test to see if they are chill or not. If they accept the compliment they are cool to ride with, if they get offended they generally are not the most fun people to ride with.

I just try to have the most fun possible mountain biking, and try make it as fun as possible for everyone else as well.

>>137409
Let them have their fun. I think it's fine to talk about the biggest jumps around and then about doing them, if they are not putting anyone down for not thinking the same who cares?

Anonymous No. 137419

>>137179
Nice! Same tires that mine came with. T9 Butcher is excellent and underrated imo. Purgatory is fast and fun with surprisingly good traction. Enjoy anon

Anonymous No. 137456

>>137403
i have posted my bike il let you guess which one

Anonymous No. 137459

>>137456
Either the steelshit box /n/igger or the black bike with chink bag and worned out stanchion

Anonymous No. 137475

>>137456
The orangish gravel bike or the other gravel bike since they said "gravel sister"

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20221224_2037....jpg

Anonymous No. 137477

>>137475
Riding my bikes keep me free from delusions and mental illness.
The only drugs I take are for enhancing my performance
Actually, the only delusions I have are that I need more bikes

Anonymous No. 137498

>>137459
>the black bike with chink bag and worned out stanchion
yeah u got me lol
again its not wear its overspray from the previous owners shitty paint job
gonna try to clean it off at some point
>the steelshit box /n/igger
god i wish that was me
i miss my steel shitboxes
hoping to buy a nice 90s one as my next bike
>>137477
grabel memes cool but i find it weird how many of u guys are in an mtb thread

Image not available

1078x1028

COILvAIRFAGS.jpg

Anonymous No. 137499

Anonymous No. 137504

>>137499
jesus likes his bikes rigid, hes oldschool like that

Anonymous No. 137506

>>136163
how gay would it be to get a pic of myself trackstanding on my bike

Image not available

2000x1506

PXL_20220918_2202....jpg

Anonymous No. 137520

>>137498
I don't normally talk about my grabbel bike here but I haven't been able to ride my mountain bikes or dirt jumper recently due to a combination of injuries, illness, and bad weather. It's really a kick in the nuts because I think I've only had 3 good MTB rides this year.
> rains for a month, trails get wrecked
> get back on the mtb when it drains some more
> take a week off to recover from the flu
> finally ride new MTB I spent months building
> crash and have to take a week off so wrists heal, it begins to rain again
> finally healed up and get ready to get back out there
> more rain comes in this week
> have to stick to road riding and gravel that drains well so I don't demolish the good mtb trails
I like having my gravel bike to mix things up and to make easy singletrack worth riding. I wouldn't bother putting the wear on my tires to ride to the easy green trails 3 miles away, but they feel as exciting as a black diamond on a rigid gravel bike.

Anonymous No. 137522

>>137520
ah that sucks i hope things get better for you <3

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20230228_2217....jpg

Anonymous No. 137523

>>137499
I can be your devil, or your angel

Image not available

1280x849

4C3BE9A6-4F17-421....jpg

Anonymous No. 137524

I tried posting in gravel-specific places but everybody’s all like “that’s just a mountain bike” and I’m not really bothered because roadies are dumb as shit anyways

Image not available

680x652

1677271564171699.jpg

Anonymous No. 137527

>>137523
It can't be. You gotta choose one and be an obnoxious dick about it, its the mtber way
How much sag do you run on the coil?
>>137524
>gravel-specific places
That's /n/

Anonymous No. 137529

>>137524
il be honest the only thing making that not a mountainbike is the curly bars
looks based tho

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20220522_1715....jpg

Anonymous No. 137530

>>137527
I only rode with it once before I crashed and then the weather went to shit after I healed. It felt really good at ~30% sag on climbs and descents. I had the low speed compression open all the way so I decreased the sag and closed it partway to make up for it since it was compressing too much on the run up to jumps. I think it's at 25% now but I'm waiting for my next ride to dial it in some more.
I was expecting to have to sell my stock coil shock since most of the other EVIL owners I talk to replace it, but I'm very satisfied with how great it tracks the terrain. Now I kind of want to replace the air shock on my other bike with a coil but the Push ElevenSix is the only approved coil shock for the EVIL Following MB and that's a $1200 investment

/n/ isn't really good for discussing gravel or riding for enjoyment. It's just seething poorfag commuters there. The people there don't care about conquering mountains, pushing yourself past your limit, exploring the wilderness, or blasting down trails with the homies. They're all about pulling a bent frame out of the garbage, fixing it up with other junk and chink components, then commuting through whatever urban hellscape or 3rd world country they live in. Every performance bike I've seen posted there gets hated on, the sour grapes are real and you can't have real discussions there.

>>137529
I wish I could put dropbars on my mountain bikes and still use my groupset and powerful brakes. I feel more stable descending in the drops due to getting lower but that doesn't work as well when the trail gets twisty or I need to do stunts

Anonymous No. 137531

>>137530
you could try flats with some clip on drops maybe?
ive actually never ridden drops but id love to try one day to see how they feel

Image not available

800x534

p4pb12409832.jpg

Anonymous No. 137545

>>137530
>Now I kind of want to replace the air shock on my other bike with a coil
Careful with that anon, you should at least check the linkage leverage curves first. A coil shock on a linear linkage can feel pretty jank
>I wish I could put dropbars on my mountain bikes
Why not use a stem that puts your bars lower? This is quite common on xc bikes

Anonymous No. 137593

>>137498
>previous owners shitty paint job
You mean the 15 second rattlecan paint job given to stolen bikes?

Anonymous No. 137605

>>137545
That's why I said the Push ElevenSix is the only one approved for the EVIL Following. I wouldn't stick in a coil shock by any other company. Lifetime warranty is really great though and the newer Followings have the same shock size and hardware so I can swap it and keep the warranty. I would just have to get my rear wheel rebuilt to take a superboost hub
>>137531
I like my bars the height they're at now. I used to get back pain on climbs when they were lower and climbs are 90% of my ride time anyway. Dropbars aren't really anything special. They just give you more hand positions for long rides and you get some aerodynamic benefits and some more control on descents. You'll spend the majority of your time riding the tops.

Anonymous No. 137607

>>137593
yeah that one
>>137545
>that stem

Anonymous No. 137620

>>137506
extremely so

Image not available

480x480

rage2.gif

Anonymous No. 137646

Where in the goddamn fuck is my presta valve FUCK

Anonymous No. 137686

Stickers on your helmet, yes or no?

Anonymous No. 137695

>>137686
yes but only if they are anime stickers

Image not available

1000x500

1671297737757672.webm

Anonymous No. 137708

15 days without riding due to knee pain and weather is amazing right now.
And it looks like another 10 days without riding. In 20 days I'll traveling so no riding for 1 month. I'm missing out and will miss out on amazing weather. On late april and may it rains so much, 4 days with of nonstop drizzling.
I just want to ride, nothing else

Anonymous No. 137710

>>137708
i feel u fren :(
im ill rn and stuck indoors
tried going for a short ride and almost collapsed
been ill for weeks now its frustrating

Anonymous No. 137735

>>136163
what length of stem do you guys like?
my current bike has a really long stem like 100mm
i like the feeling of a long stem but it makes the reach way too long for me
im gonna get a shorter one but how short is too short before it feels weird?
50mm?

Anonymous No. 137742

>>137735
35mm. A short stem is always better. Descents and handling are more comfortable /better and in the climb its better as you get a better posture. You don't get back pain from leaning forward nor look like a hunchback roadie. I climb fireroads though. I'd get a a 30mm one if I get a bike with longer reach

Anonymous No. 137745

>>137742
doesnt the steering feel kinda numb with one that short though?
plus i like doing trialsy sort of stuff woud one that short make it harder?

Anonymous No. 137752

>>137745
>doesnt the steering feel kinda numb with one that short though?
No, it feels more twitchy and responsive. You can do really small adjustments in line choice.
>plus i like doing trialsy sort of stuff woud one that short make it harder
I would think no as with a longer stem you'll have your weight forward

Anonymous No. 137753

>>137752
ok thanks

Anonymous No. 137765

>>137752
yeah i looked into it more a super short stem doesnt sound like itd suit me
i think im just gonna go for the standard 50mm
twitchy isnt really what im looking for

Anonymous No. 137766

>>137735
I'm used to a 40 mil, 50 is the longest you should go on a modern trail bike. Stem length and stack height affect how the bike weights it's front wheel as well as reach there is no best one. It's like suspension setup
If you want to set it and forget it just buy a 35 or 40mm. A shorter stem makes the bike easier to steer but can make it more twitchy. I've heard long stems described like a windshield wiper, and short stems are more like a steering column. I don't know of anyone that doesn't like a short (sub 50mm) stem. If the bike feels too long then put a shorter stem on it.

>>137745
It probably won't affect your trials ability
>>136307
Passed all my exams with A's

Anonymous No. 137767

>>137766
idk i grew up on rigid bikes with long stems tho so thats kinda what im used to, i honestly quite like how this 100 feels besides the reach problem
im not rly a downhillbomber racer type so i dont want twitchy

Anonymous No. 137777

>>137767
Because your not downhill racing I don't think you will notice much of a difference other than the reach.

Anonymous No. 137782

>>137777
wow numbers
what i care about is slow speed stability since i do alot of techy climbing so i think i will, its why i already like long stems

Anonymous No. 137788

>>137735
What stem length feels good is going to depend on the bike. Dropping the stem length on your bike, especially if it is 100mm now, is going to make is feel it feel super weird.

>>137782
Long stems are the opposite of what you want for technical climbs. You want a short stem to give really nimble handling.

Anonymous No. 137791

>>137782
>>137777
>Check em

You only notice when you are going fast over rough terrain.

It's going to make zero difference at how well you climb/go slow.

The one thing I would advise for improving your climbing, assuming you try to climb steep stuff is to lower your stem this puts your body weight more forward, when climbing and keeps you from looping out. It also makes your bike worse at descending steep trails.

Just try a 50mm or shorter stem, I think you will like it.

Anonymous No. 137801

thinking about bikes again....

Image not available

500x333

81ED3FDB-62F4-42E....jpg

Anonymous No. 137809

Anonymous No. 137814

>>137809
i would love to try that just to see how it feels

Anonymous No. 137815

>>137809
wow I didn't know canada made bikes

Image not available

768x768

wlqxkxha28e91.jpg

Anonymous No. 137816

>>137765
it depends on your bike, you shouldn't put a 35mm stem on a road bike or a 120mm one on an enduro bike as an example

Anonymous No. 137842

Anyone ever been on a dry trail when it starts raining? With how the weather has been so far this year. I think I'll just start riding right before it begins to rain when the trails are their most dry, and ride through the rain before the trails turn into peanut butter. I can't take this anymore, I need to ride. I have 4 bikes to mix things up and 3 wheelsets for my grabbel bike to even mix that up but my soul yearns to hit the trails again.

Anonymous No. 137843

>>137816
yeah exactly i dont think a super short stem would suit how i ride
that toaster looks cool i like the colour
why tho?
>>137842
>hes scared of a little mud

Image not available

1643x1849

IMG_20230302_1451....jpg

Anonymous No. 137853

>>137842
This is my bike after riding in the rain for 2.5 hours until I got to the Blue Ridge Parkway right by the Glassmine Falls Overlook. It was been raining for 10 hours before this photo was taken. It's raining now and has been for the past 3 days, I would go riding again but my area is under a tornado watch.

Also, you could just go road biking, do intervals, or go do a spin class.

🗑️ Anonymous No. 137856

>>137853
I've been road biking. I guess I'll go somewhere else and give the god-tier roads near my house a break.

>>137843
The mud at my favorite park is so awful, can't even a hold a straight through it because it's so slick. I might have to go to wear they host Sea Otter Classic since it's *only* 80 miles away but the sandy soil drains great.

Anonymous No. 137859

>>137853
I've been road biking. I guess I'll go somewhere else and give the god-tier roads near my house a break.

>>137843
The mud at my favorite park is so awful, can't even a hold a straight through it because it's so slick. I might go to where they host Sea Otter Classic since it's *only* 80 miles away and the sandy soil drains great. Mt. Tam where MTB was invented is also great after it rains but anything more than an XC hardtail is overkill.

Anonymous No. 137860

>>137856
get some magic maries or dhrs or something mang
>>137859
im seein double!

Image not available

788x387

leverage curves.jpg

Anonymous No. 137864

>>137605
>the Push ElevenSix is the only one approved
I think you're missing what I mean - it's the frame that needs to be designed to work well with coil shocks, not the other way around. *Any* coil sprung shock will feel jank on a frame that has a linkage with a linear leverage curve. If the manufacturer spec'd it with an air shock, it's probably going to feel much better with an air sprung shock than a coil one.
>>137695
It was a few years ago, but I remember seeing some guy with anime shit on his kit at the local bike park. He must be in these threads if he still rides. His bike appeared to be a chinese carbon frame fit with aliexpress parts, and had pictures of what I presume to be his waifu wedged in the spokes and on his jersey.

Image not available

594x838

aikatsutrans01.png

Anonymous No. 137867

>>137860
I deleted the original post to fix a spelling error and then I made a different error. the DHF and DHRs on one bike still don't grip very well in the mud. The Wild Enduros on the other bike are better, but I'm just better off going somewhere with better soil.

>>137864
I get what you mean. The elevensix is the only one people recommend and actually get for the bike. I'm not sure your chart applies to the DELTA linkage system on EVIL bikes since they're designed to have a dual progressive linkage curve. https://www.evil-bikes.com/pages/tech
You know a lot more about suspension design than I do and I won't try to argue something I don't completely understand but both of my bikes are EVILs and use the DELTA linkage system with the links being different lengths. The air shock is on a bike with 120mm rear travel and the coil is on a bike with 166mm rear travel.
On the topic of anime shit on bikes, I really considered getting a custom frame protection kit from groundkeepercustom with my anime girls on it. I never went through with it because I couldn't make a design I was happy with on the website and helicopter tape is so much cheaper ($20 vs $120 for something supposed to get dirty and beat up). Talking about it now, I kind of want to give it another shot and just put it on the down tube and top tube.
Now I remember, I also didn't go through with it because I ride with a lot of gen Xers and I didn't want to explain why I have a cute 14 year old girl on my bike, especially since the guy I ride with most has a japanese wife and an 8 year old daughter.

Anonymous No. 137873

>>137864
>It was a few years ago, but I remember seeing some guy with anime shit on his kit at the local bike park. He must be in these threads if he still rides. His bike appeared to be a chinese carbon frame fit with aliexpress parts, and had pictures of what I presume to be his waifu wedged in the spokes and on his jersey.
BASED

Image not available

962x782

PB.jpg

Anonymous No. 137910

>>137867
http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/Bike%20set%20ups/2021%20WRECKONING%20V3.htm (possibly not 100% accurate but should be close enough)

Here is a picture of the 2021 wreckonings leverage curve, basically its very steep at the begining, is more linear in the middle and very firm at the end. What's unique about it is that it's concavity changes at the end stroke. Where most other progressive bikes look like a U.

It's progressive on the chart, and running large volume air shocks on progressive bikes work fine on. I don't think there's anything special about the push.

>it's progressive and much firmer at the very end

Speaking of anime I used to have an evangelion sticker bombed water bottle and front mudguard. The only person who ever noticed was the wife of one a board member of the local MTB organization. Nowadays I just have a some various anime stickers on my fullface helmet. I haven't seen a tastefully done itabike so I won't do it to mine. That and I want to get another girlfriend, the last one didn't know how or want to learn how to ride a bike so I obviously broke up with her.

Image not available

1024x1024

1663795366044680.jpg

Anonymous No. 137944

>>137910
>the last one didn't know how or want to learn how to ride a bike so I obviously broke up with her

Anonymous No. 137949

>>137735
i just remeasured its actually a 110mm stem!
the 50mm is gonna feel so much better i think, maybe this bike wont feel so huge and awkward on me then

Image not available

222x236

1647214982595317.png

Anonymous No. 138059

i like reading mountain bike reviews
i like looking at mountain bikes
i like the autism behind suspension and frame design

Image not available

1062x762

Screenshot_202303....jpg

Anonymous No. 138063

>>138059
>autism behind frame design
I don't get the german autism to do an absolute SEXO bike but incredibly retarded cable routing. There are pics with branches pulling cable and shitting everything one frame and cable. Despite this, id love to get a Tyee/Spindrift.

Image not available

416x375

file.png

Anonymous No. 138086

>>138063
>Tyee/Spindrift.
The rear linkage looks like a pain to keep clean especially with a coil.
Also german mtb seem to have a skyscraper tier seat tube length, why is this? I WANT BIG DROP REEEE
>440mm on a medium spindrift

Anonymous No. 138087

any of you nogs every bought mtb from those boutique ones, like banshee? howsit

Anonymous No. 138094

>>138086
>The rear linkage looks like a pain to keep clean especially with a coil.
Nothing a hose can clean
Its not that big? My range is ~435+ dropper which add 20mm min but I run it higher

Image not available

2000x1125

IMG_20210220_1030....jpg

Anonymous No. 138100

>>138086
That's what I miss most about the Canyon Spectral I used to have. It was so easy to clean compared to the EVILs I have now. At least I don't have a new Santa Cruz or INTENSE with the shocks buried right above the bb and going through a tunnel in the seattube.
REVEL bikes, Yetis, and the Specialized Stumjumper and Status also have easy to clean shocks. I would have liked an Antidote but I didn't want to deal with customer service in another country or going through a middleman(these thoughts never crossed my mind when I ordered an italian gravel bike) https://antidotebikes.com/product/carbonjack/
At least if I need to ship my bike back to HQ, that's just a few hundred miles north of me

Image not available

923x447

file.png

Anonymous No. 138101

>>138094
seat tube on a range is 395 on a medium range, that's like an extra 2 dropper sizes compared to the germans

Image not available

2704x1520

mud.jpg

Anonymous No. 138102

>>138100
Agree on the buried shock stuff, the way to clean a santa cruz is basically just blast water in there and hope for the best - at least you get lifetime bearings on their frames/grease port for the lower link

Anonymous No. 138116

>>138087
Yes
>>137853
This is my bike and it's a Banshee Rune, I haven't ridden that many modern bikes but I love it. It's my first modern mtb The bike is easy to clean but that rear mudguard is near mandatory as the lower linkage acts as a shelf and will have dirt/mud pile onto it. The bottom bracket is just a cylinder welded onto the front triangle so it keeps the elements out well it's a 27.5 bike but it has the same chainstay length as a regular 29er and that helps it's stability at speed. Above all the bike is durable, with exception to the v3 frames cracking at the seat tube/forged basically they welded together a tube and a forged section and it broke there if you rode hard. They fixed it and the V3.2 bikes don't crack. Mine was a 2 week turnaround and a $50 warranty fee for a new frame with a brand new x2 shock. The one thing that is better on banshees is that they have way better frame alignment than other brands, that really just comes down to better QC. They don't eat coils and they don't eat trunion bearings. Which is nice. The benefits beyond the actual pro/con of the bike itself is that they usually catch people's eyes. Moreso than yetis or evils ect. A yeti with i9s is cool and all but boutique frames are just one step above. It also helps if you don't run fox or rockshocks on them. A antidote darkside with a Formula Nero R and Mod shock is always going to be cooler than the same bike with a regular boxxer or fox40.

Tldr banshee makes durable bikes, with good QC

Anonymous No. 138118

>>138101
Thats for the new range. The old ones are >40cm. It doesn't bother me really. The seat is just on/right above the kneecap. It could be 35mm lower of I get a longer dropperpost.

Anonymous No. 138121

>>138087
I have EVILs and my friends have Santa Cruzes and Revels. To add onto what >>138116 said, you get better QC(although stuff can slip through the cracks) and excellent warranties and customer service, but most importantly, your bike will stand out and other riders will talk to you which leads to making friends on the trail.
On top of being taken care of if your frame breaks, your fault or theirs, you'll get a lifetime bearing replacement for those complex linkages these bikes have. Components also matter, if you build or upgrade yourself, you'll get similar warranties and parts replacements from component manufacturers like Chris King, Industry Nine, PUSH, and Onyx.

Image not available

640x640

1663066935696896.jpg

Anonymous No. 138140

>>138121
>>138116
interesting, so these bikes do back up what they claim, i guess that's the guess when they're a small company - their word is vital for keeping customers happy. personally i've been on a spree looking at a variety of more independent makers because the bikes just look...cooler, and it's made out of steel lol. thank you for your feedback

🗑️ Anonymous No. 138151

>>138140
From what I've seen, yes their word is bond. I haven't had to ask EVIL for any replacement parts yet but the people in the owners group all have nothing but good things to say about them. When my friend had to do the yearly bearing service for his SC Hightower, they sent him new bearing for free. When my friend's Revel Ranger developed a crack in the chainstay, they just sent him an entirely new frame.
Meanwhile the Canyon groups I'm in are full of people complaining about the QC and customer service(seems to be hit or miss). I never had any problems with my Canyon Spectral, but Canyon released and sold their top of the line race bike with a massive immediate flaw in the seatpost and there is no way they were going to get away with it. In video game terms, imagine if a AAA video game was released and the devs knew it was going to corrupt your harddrive, not could, it will. Shit like that makes someone lose trust in a company.
I've never had a Yeti but for the huge prices for their bikes, they do have excellent warranties and the infinity link their suspension platform is utilizes also comes with infinite lifetime replacements.
With smaller boutique brands, they're run more by bike nerds than they are by bean counters. I don't have a problem dropping a ton of money on bikes because I know the people behind them stand by their products and know their shit. Meanwhile with cars, you have to threaten litigation to get KIA to even listen to look at an engine that spontaneously combusted under warranty

Anonymous No. 138153

>>138140
From what I've seen, yes their word is bond. I haven't had to ask EVIL for any replacement parts yet but the people in the owners group all have nothing but good things to say about them. When my friend had to do the yearly bearing service for his SC Hightower, they sent him new bearing for free. When my friend's Revel Ranger developed a crack in the chainstay, they just sent him an entirely new frame.
Meanwhile the Canyon groups I'm in are full of people complaining about the QC and customer service(seems to be hit or miss). I never had any problems with my Canyon Spectral, but Canyon released and sold their top of the line race bike with a massive immediate flaw in the seatpost and there is no way they were going to get away with it. In video game terms, imagine if a AAA video game was released and the devs knew it was going to corrupt your harddrive in a matter of hours. Shit like that makes someone lose trust in a company.
I've never had a Yeti but for the huge prices for their bikes, they do have excellent warranties and the infinity link their suspension platform utilizes also comes with infinite lifetime replacements.
With smaller boutique brands, they're run more by bike nerds than they are by bean counters. I don't have a problem dropping a ton of money on bikes because I know the people behind them stand by their products and know their shit. Meanwhile with cars, you have to threaten litigation to get KIA to even look at an engine that spontaneously combusted under warranty. Hell, Mercedes Benz charged one of my colleagues tens of thousands of dollars extra for a car AFTER he bought it so he took them to court and won. The whole time they decided it was best to fuck a customer for more money. wait, what were we talking about again?

Image not available

600x488

2022_ONeal_TRANSI....png

Anonymous No. 138158

I have a boner for this o'neal transition. Or the black/white/gold. Would be a change from the 300g heavier plain white fox rampage

Image not available

1384x640

1545414118421.jpg

Anonymous No. 138164

> didn't buy PUSH ElevenSix when they were on sale for $800
> They're $1600 now up from $1200

Anonymous No. 138165

>>138164
EXT Storia is $800 and cooler

Anonymous No. 138177

>>138087
I plan to buy an enduro frame maybe next year when I'm bored and want to build something. What should I get?

Image not available

1170x1200

duke03.jpg

Anonymous No. 138195

>>138177
RAAW Madonna.
> external routing
> uses the same double sealed bearings all around
> can be specced from the factory with no shock, or plenty of other shocks
> aluminum so it's strong and well priced
> adjustable dropouts so you can run it as a 29er, 27.5er, or mullet
> boost spacing so wheel parts are more common
Why I didn't get it
> didn't want to deal with customer service on the other hemisphere or a possible warranty claim

Guerrilla Gravity Gnarvana(29er) or Megatrail (mullet)
> thermocarbon frame material is cheaper and stronger than traditional carbon fiber frames
> cables are routed through a tunnel on the side of the frame so you get the benefits of internal and external cable routing without the drawbacks of either
> can be specced with a variety of rear shocks
Why I didn't get it
> doesn't have the playful nature of EVILs, it's more of a racer

I was interested in high pivot bikes like the Jekyll, Dreadnought, and Claymore, but I didn't want to deal with 2 chainz and an idler pulley, and they don't have the handling I was looking for.

Anonymous No. 138202

>>138195
The claymore was on my mind, but holy fuck I'm not paying 4600 for a frame. Also I'm not that concerned about internal routing. I have all the tools for dismantling the bike if I need to, and I'm not a tard at mechanics

Anonymous No. 138207

>>138202
External routing just makes jobs easier. Like when I'm bleeding my brakes, it's easier for me to just take them off and bleed them off the bike instead of stretching my arms out to press the plungers. It's not a deal breaker to me but if I could get the same frame with or without internal routing, I'll get it without. I'd rather have an easy to clean shock than external routing. I have to bend my fingers around to get to mine.
I will NEVER get headset routing. Fuck that shit, the clean cockpit look is not worth it and it will never be worth it to me.
That being said, my dirt jumper has headset routing because the PO wanted to do barspins. I miss riding that bike but the bike park is too soggy to ride and I didn't buy an annual pass and parking pass just to volunteer my time there.

Image not available

1024x595

1677985413915344m.jpg

Anonymous No. 138214

>>138207
>headset routing
agree who thought putting brake lines through the top headset bearing was a good idea, bike frame designers are retards

Anonymous No. 138228

>>138207
As far as bleeding brakes goes, I find it fairly easy to do on the bike. I guess the only issue is tapping out the bubbles, but I haven't had to do that on the rears.
>I'd rather have an easy to clean shock than external routing. I have to bend my fingers around to get to mine.
I have a big speedaire compressor so lel I just damp the mud with a hose and shoot air into crevices. But yes on my current build my coil is incredibly easy to clean
>I will NEVER get headset routing. Fuck that shit, the clean cockpit look is not worth it and it will never be worth it to me.
I had an idea of how to CNC a dual brake gyro. Maybe this summer I'll get around to fleshing out the design

Anonymous No. 138265

Would get me in trouble so asking here. Does anyone else think that some downhill women are chubby? Like Vali Höll. Why is that, level of racing too low?

Image not available

760x1242

1677737744439708.png

Anonymous No. 138269

>>138265
all I see is a breedable PAWG

Image not available

800x800

03250-2408403621.png

Anonymous No. 138274

>>137910
Anon was talking about a following, but i think the leverage curve looks similar. It's fairly progressive with 21% progression, but on a 120mm frame, i think a coil will still feel too harsh in the useful range if you don't want to be bottoming out on hard compressions all the time.
>>137867
>Anime on bike
It's mainstream enough now that I think some smaller anime stickers on the frame could be ok, but a huge toptube or downtube sticker would look pretty garish.
>>138265
Women carry more fat on average, and the pool of competitors is quite small. There was only one category for women at the last dh race I competed in, and a landwhale ended up podiuming kek. She had to be at least 200 lbs

Anonymous No. 138277

>>138265
I would say women who are built muscular enough to race downhill are going to be on the bigger side, the women who race xc or atleast ride xc can barely lift the bikes they ride. I would say that larger women are just tougher, you see a trend towards the body type of women doing similar physically strenuous activities.
That and the reason they are slower is just because of how dangerous it is because of few number of competition

Anonymous No. 138278

>>138277
I meant to say that because it's dangerous less women do it.

Anonymous No. 138289

>>138265
Need dat mass to fall faster down the hill

Image not available

944x1202

Screenshot_202303....jpg

Anonymous No. 138296

>>138265
I think thats just her. Myriam Nicole and Camille Balanche look slim and won over miss piggy. Veronica Widman and cabirou are slim aswell. In the EWS you even got the extra small Isabeau courdurier with 5' and 114lbs.
Vali Holl is the only piggy there

Anonymous No. 138317

Valentina is a babe this is not up for debate

Anonymous No. 138325

i see big mountain and i think that it must be ridden on with bike
bike to conquer world and earth

Anonymous No. 138334

>>138296
Yeah, I wonder though how can she be competitive at the highest level. All the males are fit AF as far as I can see.

Image not available

500x605

1673853861549164.jpg

Anonymous No. 138338

>>138334
the bar is much lower as another anon said

Anonymous No. 138340

>>138269
woah mama, do women like that exist?

Anonymous No. 138342

>>138334
She dirty bulked to end up looking like Samwise Gamgee

Anonymous No. 138372

>>138265

Idk if Höll is chubby. It could also be muscle because she is surely working out having a personal trainer and all that jazz. A slim feminine anorexic model physique won't help a woman on a dh bike to win races.

Anonymous No. 138402

>>138342
I bet hobbits would fukkin shred if you got them lil bikes that fit them
plus they'd have a bunch of food and beer to munch on after rides

Anonymous No. 138421

>tell us your race stories

Race season is just around the corner.

Anybody racing this Spring/summer/fall?

What race series are you going to do?
What categorys? Enduro, short track xc, marathon xc, Downhill?
Has Anybody here ever won or podiumed?

Do you race Pro, cat 1 or cat 2-3?

What does your bike setup look like?

What tire combo for which courses.
Any sponsors, if so which ones?

Image not available

923x531

1660233571917728.jpg

Anonymous No. 138432

>>138421
>>tell us your race stories
In my first DH race I didn't poop before going and had the biggest turd trying to come out. I didn't poop in the porta potty as I can't shit in other places thats not my toilet. While waiting for my turn on the ramp it almost came out, I had to close my eyes and breathe to control it. Idk how tf I held it during the run. Ended up nuking the toilet at some store.
>racing this Spring/summer/fall
I plan to do the MoH(or the mega but MoH is cheaper), 3 local enduro races and I'll see if I can go to the Pleney Chainless.
Gotta get fit as an amateur.
>What tire combo for which courses.
DH22s F/R nigga. But I'll put a WE R if its too much.

I want to see the Dh final in Les Gets this time. Perhaps I get see Camille Balanche

Anonymous No. 138470

>>138372
She doesn’t exactly look muscular either. Maybe it’s the dirty bulk then.

Image not available

800x904

00263-3139595050.png

Anonymous No. 138497

>>138421
>First DH race
>Decide to set up ghetto tubeless the day before
>Feels good in practice and qualies
>Race run
>Going faster than in qualies
>Rip tight berm half way down the run and burp most of the air out of both tires
>Still place 20/40 in men's open somehow, so could've been worse
Test your setup before you race it kids

>What race series are you going to do?
Might do some CES races if they still have em on the east coast this year, but I'm not too interested in paying to have my ride timed anymore.

Image not available

509x362

1667444746580982.jpg

Anonymous No. 138569

whats the best way to break into mountain biking if i have basic experience riding a bike on flat surfaces and i dont have a mountain bike? do i take the risk and get something under 1k for a used hardtail and then try not to get myself killed? do i try out some more breaking to get my hold of the bike in general?

Image not available

853x552

1666994574424535.jpg

Anonymous No. 138578

I went for a ride as I could walk and thought knee was ok. I can't even walk nor move the knee at all now. Terrible and painful mistake

Anonymous No. 138581

>>138569
>do i take the risk and get something under 1k for a used hardtail and then try not to get myself killed
yes, also stick to xc trails to start with don't go uplifting you will kill yourself

Image not available

250x245

1665875040001687.jpg

Anonymous No. 138582

>>138581
what about just doing one of those bike rents and trying it out if i like it or not. i think it would be much more financially wise if i
>try and rent a mtb and try out a course
>if i like it then get a used hardtail
>ride xc trails until i likey and build up the confidence
whats uplifting btw

Anonymous No. 138586

>>138582
>it would be much more financially wise if i
>>try and rent a mtb and try out a course
>>if i like it then get a used hardtail
>>ride xc trails until i likey and build up the confidence
I would say this is solid plan for a starter where you'll learn the fundamentals(gotta go up to go down, endurance) along with a good technique/position/movement base as you'll learn to ride in a hardtail. The amount of riders I've seen with a FS bike who don't have a good position nor use their body as main suspension is quite big.

Anonymous No. 138588

>>138586
ok that sounds good. i just want to build a good fundamental baseline skill level before i ascend into astral plane of autism in mtb before i disappear from this world, so thats why im thinking about trying it out first to save money. i wish i was rich.

Anonymous No. 138597

The snow is going to melt more today.
Maybe I can actually get a real ride in on my new bike

Anonymous No. 138606

>>138582
Renting is a good idea. Are you already into running or some sort of punishing exercise? I ask because your first few rides will be really hard until you build up the strength to up and down more than once so you have to be the kind of person who is determined to push through the pain. Mountain biking becomes way more fun the better you get at it. I'm usually at the same park riding the same trails yet I'm having more fun now than when I was new

Image not available

1200x800

00265-2399545619.png

Anonymous No. 138619

>>138582
>>138588
Anon, you should see if there are any demo days or large mtb events near you anytime soon. Bike companies will let you try out $5k+ bikes for free. Of course this doesn't offer the temporal flexibility of renting, but will save you money and give you access to a much nicer bike to try. Also, consider just riding the bike you have on some easier trails and upgrade as you find the limits of the bike you have if you aren't doing that already. Simply changing the tires on a road bike to gravel tires will let you ride green trails, and maybe blue trails depending on the difficulty of trails near you.

Anonymous No. 138623

>>138569
If you know you seriously want to do it, get a newbie training camp/day at a bike park.

Image not available

564x606

1677177810037257.webm

Anonymous No. 138629

>illiotibial band syndrome
Its over, this was the knee pain. Doctor confirmed it. I have to go to kinesthioterapy now once I able to walk again. It hurts so much. 8 weeks without mtbing....I can't believe the small mistake of putting the saddle a bit higher caused it.

Image not available

1500x999

adaptivebike.jpg

Anonymous No. 138642

>>138629
it's not over yet

Anonymous No. 138674

so where do i put my car keys when i ride my bike lol
>>138606
The exercise I do consistently is just liftin, but that's more strength building compare to more enduro/cardio work.
>>138623
yeah i might

Anonymous No. 138675

>>138674
>so where do i put my car keys when i ride my bike lol
In a pocket that zips up

Anonymous No. 138687

>>138675
this is the only way,
>>138674
if you want a budget option, the wrangler outdoor pants and shorts at Walmart are decent can be worn anywhere
$22 for a set of pants that you can wear everyday, and go biking afterwards. I'm wearing some right now.

Image not available

1314x1404

1676706603427798.jpg

Anonymous No. 138695

>>138687
i got some basics at home. going to try out some basic slopes tomorrow, wish me luck bros
>>138675
heh fair enough

Image not available

537x149

m1.png

Anonymous No. 138725

greased a few pivot bolts and my saddle seat post hardware with some nlgi #2 grease to kill all the creaks. It didn't make me a better rider but at least my bike is quiet now.

Image not available

640x475

sad cat2.jpg

Anonymous No. 138727

>>138629
hoowee that sucks ass anon.
I'm going to doublecheck my seat height before I go out today.

Anonymous No. 138757

>>138629
F
Somewhat related, I just picked out a seatpost for my build today. Ordered a KS dropzone off ebay so I don't have to use a cable or a remote. I need a 31.6 > 34.9 shim for it to work, but whatever. Having to pick a seatpost based on purely hypothetical measurements was pretty annoying

Anonymous No. 138792

>>138757
Several things.

1. Why not just get a fatter seat post? They are stiffer and more robust.

2. Why are you not getting lever actuated? Is it because your bike cannot run a dropper lever?

Anonymous No. 138818

>>138792
I can't find a place that sells the 34.9 and I don't care for cables or paying for AXS. I'm putting this on a downhill bike

Image not available

320x320

1675526140634544.gif

Anonymous No. 138820

>>138818
>Dropper on a dh bike

Image not available

1305x1485

1656454072060586.png

Anonymous No. 138825

rentanon here
>turns out i dont know how to ride a bike properly the moment the ground is not a pavement/flat
>slowly getting used to using the front/rear breaks
>still confused about when to switch to what gear
>went off course and thought i could go across until a sudden sand dune bruised my toes
>had fun not thinking
>hate the uphill sections, i can see the appeal of the electric bike versions
pretty fun, but tiring.

Anonymous No. 138826

>>138825
also one of the pains i felt throughout the ride was sore elbows because i was squeezing the bar too hard, any reason behind that? also the muscles around my knees are sore as well

Image not available

768x1020

PXL_20220409_1734....jpg

Anonymous No. 138829

>>138825
>>138826
Climbing is the best part. Getting up a really technical climb is more rewarding and more fun than getting down it
as for gears, I'll assume they put you on a 1x12 or 1x11 bike(you only shift the back). More teeth/bigger cog in the back=more torque for easier climbing but slower speeds. Less teeth=less torque but higher speeds, this is where you want to be for descending or flatter sections. If your bike came with a dropper post(seat goes up and down with a lever on the handlebar) then you want it up when climbing, and down when descending.
> sore elbows
this is a bike fit issue. Don't squeeze the grips hard. You're supposed to have light hands and heavy feet. The same applies to motorcycles, if you're deathgripping, you're riding wrong.
Next time you get out there, remember that your front brake has the most stopping power and if you grab that too suddenly, you will get thrown over the bars unless you have proper body positioning. So if you're going fast and want to stop, such as when going downhill and the trail is about to run out, get your ass as far back as possible to counteract the force of the back lifting up.
https://youtu.be/nut0Unr95JI?t=167
See how you get out of being anally raped? That's what you want to do. This is the basic high speed braking technique, don't worry about the advanced techniques yet

Anonymous No. 138830

>>138829
>More teeth/bigger cog in the back=more torque for easier climbing but slower speeds. Less teeth=less torque but higher speeds, this is where you want to be for descending or flatter sections.
Ooh that's helpful and what I needed to know, thanks anon. Really thinking about getting a hardtail because they're fun, I wonder if full suspension feels any different.

Anonymous No. 138832

>>138818
> I'm putting this on a downhill bike

This is just all kinds of potato. If it is for a DH bike, just grab regular seat post. They cost like$20

Image not available

600x604

1657763329269.jpg

Anonymous No. 138845

>>138829
>Getting up a really technical climb is more rewarding and more fun than getting down
Delusional roadie. Going down tech at mach 1 is wayy better

Anonymous No. 138847

>>138818
Just get a regular seatpost, unless you have a Nicolai Geometron or something similar
>>138830
Full suspension are more forgiving, I would get a hardtail first so that you learn how to ride better.
They are making actually good entry level hardtails nowadays, trek Roscoe, canyon stoic, ect.

Image not available

500x375

1677499368885602.jpg

Anonymous No. 138850

>>138832
>>138847
>If it is for a DH bike, just grab regular seat post.
Haha no. This is a unique build and its staying that way
>They cost like$20
I'm fine paying 350 for a dropper, but not 800. Plus I like the lever under the seat. You're only adjusting it at the top and the bottom of the mountain, who cares

Image not available

460x377

alecbaldwin.jpg

Anonymous No. 138859

>>138845
Climbing UP a rock garden is harder and requires more balance. I've had more falls going up than going down.
I'm only talking about technical climbs. Easy climbs are usually boring. Old Railroad Grade on Mt. Tam is the only exception I can think of and that's only "technically" a fire road because it's so wide and rocky that service vehicles can drive up it.
>>138830
It's better to stick with a hardtail so you can figure out what kind of riding you enjoy without spending too much on a bike you may sell in a year. Once you get a lot more rides in and experience more trails, you'll know what kind of bike(s) you really want

Image not available

500x585

1659380178670567.png

Anonymous No. 138862

>>138859
I agree its harder and I'll add that it requires alot more fitness to do it. But going mach1 over rockgardens and hearing the pings from rims smashing is alot more fun. And when you can only hear the tires and the fork squishing on chunky terrain, its so satisfying, even more than a climb

Image not available

694x390

alecbaldwin2.jpg

Anonymous No. 138865

>>138862
aren't you that feller who mainly rides lift service bike parks? My rides usually have me descending a rock garden just to have me suddenly have to dump all my gears to climb another at the bottom. That feature I posted at >>138829 comes at the end of a long and rounded sandstone rock garden(the bumps are big, but rounded). The only guy I've seen clean that climb did it by plowing through through the chunky descent, hit the switchback perfectly, just to have enough momentum to get through the smooth line on the right.

Image not available

720x720

1670673541058005.jpg

Anonymous No. 138866

>>138859
>>138847
thanks anons, looks like i will start searching for a hardtail. And like the other anons mentioned, when I get more familiar with it I could probably upgrade the fork with more travel to tackle steeper parts

Image not available

750x745

1662375175610031.jpg

Anonymous No. 138876

>>138865
Yeah, not lift nor mainly bike parks but take the bus to the mountain. I just wont climb 1000m. The biggest problem on techclimbs imo is keeping the cadence and you easily drop it if you change gear but if you don't change it you can't keep the cafence as you're not strong enough.

Image not available

207x191

1666429060119790.png

Anonymous No. 138883

what a warzone, everyone's brandishing guns at each another...

Anonymous No. 138888

>>138876
I guess it sounds like you know what you want out of your bike.
I have found that the key to doing tech climbs is to just git-gud and use clipless pedals.
But I am a guy who likes to climb his enduro bike 2000 meters on the weekend ride.
>>138421
I'm going to try and do an Enduro Southeast race or two this fall, either the one at Sugar Mountain or Ride Kanuga. I don't know if I will like downhill racing that much, I have only ever done the winter race league at Windrock Bike Park. Tennessee Nationals Downhill is only two weeks away so I should probably decide soon.
I'm pretty fast compared to most people but honestly still mediocre when compared to local pro's like Neko Mullaly, Arron Gwin, David Kahn, and Max Beaupre.

But for all of those races I need money, so I am going to try and have a good interview at a bike shop tomorrow. (Monday)

Image not available

515x474

ina gun.png

Anonymous No. 138889

>>138888
oh yeah forgot this

Anonymous No. 138894

>>138850
So you are building up an enduro bike and not a downhill bike? Just grab a cable actuated dropper then.
- Enduro frames come with routing for a dropper.
- If cost is an issue, something like an X-fusion or Brand-x is going to be cheaper than a KS.
- Do you not use your dropper as you ride for maximum pedalling efficiency?

Image not available

995x905

1629017859733.png

Anonymous No. 138896

>>138829
>Trail slopes upward
>Immediately dismount
Verification not required.

Image not available

474x462

OIP.jpg

Anonymous No. 138902

>>138845
>>138859
you are both right and wrong
the reward of going uphill is going downhill.
for if you never climb the hill, the reward of doing it is never achieved.

Image not available

1014x948

1604472412073.jpg

Anonymous No. 138907

>>138883
such is life at an american trailhead

Image not available

587x618

1652399491451255.jpg

Anonymous No. 138908

Is it worth going into this hobby if the local trail is about an hour's drive away?

Anonymous No. 138909

>decided to ride along the waterfront yesterday
>absolutely cooking it at Mach 11 along the flat
>some dickhead pushes his pram onto the bike lane without looking
>brakes
>BRAKES
>tacky tires stuck to the tarmac like a dream
>stop with only minor skidding

"you need to slow down"

"well you need to look where your fucking going mate"

I swear my steering is now twisted somehow from the sheer force through the calipers.
How do I go about diagnosing and if needed fixing this? The stem seems to be aligned to the shock crowns but it still doesnt feel right. I really hope I haven't done permanent damage
I am fox 34s which I know are on the narrow side

Anonymous No. 138910

>>138908
Trail or trail center?
I'm over an hour from my locals and I go every weekend

Image not available

750x856

1546207884507.jpg

Anonymous No. 138911

>>138909
>braking on a flat surface somehow damaged your mountain bike forks
you wot? it's probably wheel related if anything so check the front axle and spoke tension

Anonymous No. 138912

>>138911
Will do, thanks man

Anonymous No. 138915

>>138910
whats the difference. is trail centre a combination of multiple ones? then that's what it is for me

Anonymous No. 138916

>>138915
If you already have anything that's not a road bike, then just take that and have a go
Is it community maintained trails inna woods or is there a little shop that sells some bike bits and trail bars?
If so, can you hire a bike to test the waters?

Anonymous No. 138918

>>138916
Community trails inna woods, there's no nearby bike store to hire though, I'm >>138825 btw. Hired it from one place and had to travel all the way to the trail center. But riding in the woods was fun, I like how some of the trees looked, wish I lived in scotland or any of the britons and ride in those woods

Anonymous No. 138919

>>138918
Does the trail system have a name? Maybe a community website or Facebook page? Could you reach out to them? They might be able to help point you in the right direction. They might even run a beginners day, it would be a good way to meet people to ride with too.

God i wish I hadn't left the UK at 7

Image not available

727x727

1658838563382736.png

Anonymous No. 138920

>>138919
good idea, i'll do that. not too sure if i'm keen on meeting people though, i tend to be a lonesome hermit so riding by myself has its appeal, but that means no learning. and i think UK is in economic shambles at the moment, so it might not be too good to live there just to ride. but knowing that they have some comfy woods to ride in hurts my soul.

Anonymous No. 138922

>>138920
Keep us updated.
I've been riding alone for about a year now and I'm trying to find people to go with. I'm a bit of a sperg so finding people I gel with is hard

Image not available

720x960

1578802427767.jpg

Anonymous No. 138926

>>138920
riding solo definitely has benefits, the amount of time wasting that goes on during group mtb rides is ridiculous sometimes

Anonymous No. 138931

>>138926
ride solo
>take off front wheel
>put bike in car
>drive to trail and ride bike
ride in group
>have to use social media
>have to add people to your social media
>have to talk to people and go through the motions of getting to know someone in person
>have to coordinate group rides
no ty

Anonymous No. 138933

>>138894
>So you are building up an enduro bike and not a downhill bike?
Downduro. Enduro drivetrain on a downhill frame and dual crowns
>Just grab a cable actuated dropper then.
No
>- Enduro frames come with routing for a dropper.
I know
>- If cost is an issue, something like an X-fusion or Brand-x is going to be cheaper than a KS.
I can buy 3 AXS posts if I wanted, on half of the profit from this month alone. But I don't think any seatpost is worth $800, even if its electronic. Do you even economics? Just because something is set at a price doesn't mean its actually worth that price, nor do I care enough about the comfort
>- Do you not use your dropper as you ride for maximum pedalling efficiency?
Yes but I'm physically far stronger than pro riders so I don't care if going uphill is a workout. It just needs to be doable with the gearing

Anonymous No. 138938

>>138926
>the amount of time wasting that goes on during group mtb rides is ridiculous sometimes
heh, that's the truth. All of us are strong climbers but there's like an extra 30-45 min added onto my total ride time when I ride with my friends because we end up horsing around and taking extended breaks. Most of my rides are solo and I have no problems riding alone, but riding with others is always fun. On top of being more fun, I feel more comfortable pushing it harder because I know my friends can help me if I get seriously injured.

>>138931
Not really, the guy I'm riding with the most right now I met because I made a post in the regional MTB group and said I would be mountain biking at a certain date at a certain time and he showed up. We exchanged numbers and now it's just
> want to go riding on this day?
> sure
The other guy I ride with I met on the trail and then I started riding him and his group. Again we exchanged numbers and it goes
> want to go riding?
> sure
the guy I used to ride with before he got too busy with work, I know him from /o/ meets back when cars were more than just mountain bike transportation to me

I meet more people on the trails than I do from social media. It's really easy, we're just going the same way, or stop at the same spot and get to talking and riding.

Anonymous No. 138940

>>138920
You can get pretty good by yourself. Just learn some basic skills, gmbn makes the same video about this twice a year. Skills with Phil also has some great videos on how to learn to bike better.

Image not available

694x564

1659583544591189.jpg

Anonymous No. 138945

>>138896
Very based, save the legs for bombing the descent.
>>138926
A problem with group riding is that they climb too fast for me, I gotta push hard to keep up. And the biggest issue is that they stop often during the descent. Like nigga, I gotta try to get a PR on this strava segment.

Anonymous No. 138946

>>138933
> Downduro
So yeah, an enduro bike. Seems like a lot of fucking around just for a long travel enduro bike DESU. A rich man like you could go out and buy one.

> I can buy 3 AXS posts if I wanted, on half of the profit from this month alone.
Please, my panties can only get so wet. Your place or mine?

> Do you even economics?
Yes. Applying the basic concept of supply and demand, we can see the an AXS dropper is indeed worth $800 because people are happy to purchase it at $800.
Regardless, why are you so fixated on AXS droppers and saying you don't want one? I am not telling you to buy one, justing saying you would get a better ride/bike and spend less money by buying a cable operated dropper instead of that shitty KS lever thing.

> I'm physically far stronger than pro riders
Well shit son, let me sign you to the pro racing team I own.

Anonymous No. 138951

>>136163
I got an MTB to ride paved trails because I’ve heard they’re more durable and need less maintenance. I get passed by road bikes all the time and it hurts the ego desu. Did I fuck up?

Image not available

842x1200

1677922530264281.jpg

Anonymous No. 138955

>>138951
>MTB
>less maintenance

Image not available

640x1136

3ddcd350b44fe6d3f....jpg

Anonymous No. 138956

>>138955

Image not available

4032x2268

1656935624562159.jpg

Anonymous No. 138958

Anons, how do you deal with crabby hikers saying you're destroying the hiking paths with your bikes?

Image not available

1200x666

laughingsluts1.gif

Anonymous No. 138960

>>138951
>I got an MTB to ride paved trails because I’ve heard they’re more durable and need less maintenance
You either heard wrong, you heard that from a retard, or they were fucking with you for laughs.
Mountain bikes are only more durable because they have to be for hitting roots, rocks, and drops. That's completely unnecessary for pavement and the weight and geometry will make your pedalling less efficient. The only way you're breaking a road frame on the road is if you get into a really nasty crash that will put you in the hospital.
> but the roads in my country are shit and I hop curbs
metallurgy has come a long way since the 80s. You're not going to taco an alloy wheel riding on the street anymore unless you get aliexpress chinkshit. I'm hopping and dropping curbs all the time on aero carbon wheels with 28mm wide tubeless tires on them
> less maintenance
complete lie and the exact opposite unless you have a fully rigid frame with no dropper post. MTBs have suspensions and bearings that need to be serviced regularly, and if you're riding in the dirt, then you have to clean them often.

>>138958
this is the best bait. I'm only calling it out because I know people are still going to fall for it no matter what I say

Anonymous No. 138964

>>138960
What if I just bulk up so I can pedal harder? I bike for exercise so I don’t want to run through an entire trail too fast. Also if I hit someone they will literally explode

Image not available

4032x3024

perfection.jpg

Anonymous No. 138968

>>138951
>>138964
Just get an ebike like pic rel. You will have best of both worlds - the extreme robustness and reliability of a mountain bike, but also the strength to dab on the roadies

Anonymous No. 138969

>>138958
I move 3-4mph faster than them and let them keep their misguided beliefs

Anonymous No. 138977

>>138946
>So yeah, an enduro bike. Seems like a lot of fucking around just for a long travel enduro bike DESU. A rich man like you could go out and buy one.
Because I can. I pick the components I want, and I learn to build a bike in the process. Its not that hard. Its just a bike. Building a car is hard. Being meticulous in the way I set things up is par for the course
>Please, my panties can only get so wet. Your place or mine?
Why are you gay dude. You sound like you'd prefer just the seatpost and no seat. Its not about affordability, its about value. I don't get twice the performance for more than twice the price, so therefore I will not pay
>Applying the basic concept of supply and demand, we can see the an AXS dropper is indeed worth $800 because people are happy to purchase it at $800.
If you think this, you only have a rudimentary understanding of economics. Supply and demand can be artificial. Its the exact same as the housing market. I refuse to buy a house because they are not worth the price. I can build one on my own for minimal cost. The real value is in the land, but the land is also inflated because of the shitty canadian government inviting foreign investors. People buying $800 seatposts are being retarded with their money
>justing saying you would get a better ride/bike and spend less money by buying a cable operated dropper instead of that shitty KS lever thing.
Because I don't want a cable. What other reason do I need other than because I don't want to?
Also no, I wouldn't be spending less for a quality cable dropper, so you're wrong.
>Well shit son, let me sign you to the pro racing team I own.
I'm not pro at all, just stronger than them. I can outlift every MTB pro on the planet, considering they're all skeletons. Like what do you not understand? I don't want comfort, I want a bike that can do every kind of downhill while getting my workout in

Anonymous No. 138978

>>138977
Why don’t you buy a cheaper, more standardized and more widely standardized external cable actuated post and then jam an Allen key into the actuator and throw the handlebar lever into the trash?

Anonymous No. 138979

Or, considering you’re basing this around a likely $600 clapped out DH frame, sell it for $500 and involve that into the cost of an $1800 heavy duty enduro bike that will ultimately save you money in its standardization in the long run, as you won’t be buying uncommon sizes of obsolete seatposts and using shims running in circles trying to match compatibility, or, god forbid, find yourself on eBay looking for 26” straight steerer long travel forks for 300% what they’re worth

Image not available

1200x1195

1676212880362575.jpg

Anonymous No. 138980

>>138978
What's the purpose of it being standardized? I'm servicing everything myself, I don't care if the LBS can't do it
>>138979
LEL you think "a rich man" like me would buy a 2008 $600 pos?
The build is at $6800 so far, and I haven't bought the forks yet. I am not looking for your advice

Image not available

520x669

974FD069-90F2-482....jpg

Anonymous No. 138981

>$6800 bike with shims in the seatpost for the manually-actuated dropper

I look forward to your Strava screenshots

Anonymous No. 138985

>>138981
>he thinks this bike is for racing
This is for bike parks and freeriding down random mountains on road trips

Image not available

750x800

downsyndrome.jpg

Anonymous No. 138993

I tried to find shim-anon a 34.9mm externally routed dropper but alas, PNW components doesn't go that wide for their external and I only vouch for theirs and OneUp.
I feel bad for him trying to turn a DH bike into a climber. Good god, I'm just imagining trying to pedal that uphill on my trails with the whole bike fighting against me. I don't even know what frame he's using but I know it's going to miserable on the way up and fast as fuck on the way down

Anonymous No. 138999

>>138958
Run them over and eat their trail mix

Anonymous No. 139001

>>138985
You’d be surprised at how many random-ass mountainsides are regularly visited Strava segments. And 100% of bike parks yeah, you can often find world famous pros at the top of the leaderboard there

Image not available

600x754

1674344981215026.png

Anonymous No. 139006

>>138968
looks like a boomer bike kek
roadies are probably more confused than anything when you pedal past

Image not available

2048x922

DontBeMadeBecause....jpg

Anonymous No. 139013

>>138977
>I pick the components I want
> The build is at $6800 so far, and I haven't bought the forks yet.
Why don't you post your full build so we can judge? RicRel is mine.

> Why are you gay dude.
Why are you trying to impress me by claiming your rich? People only do that if they want their dick sucked.

> Supply and demand can be artificial.
That was my point! Nothing has an inherent value, its value is determined interactions between business and consumers. You are doing yourself a disservice by not engaging with the market because the only way you will get ahead is by having an inside man.

> What other reason do I need other than because I don't want to?
A reason that is better than 'I am too lazy to route a cable'. If your frame didn't have routing for a dropper that would be a perfectly fine reason.

> I'm not pro at all, just stronger than them.
1. How do I sign you for my pro-team?
2. How do you find out that you are stronger than the pros?

>I want a bike that can do every kind of downhill while getting my workout in
You mean like every single long travel enduro bike out there?

Image not available

480x379

anti_drug_bikin g.jpg

Anonymous No. 139014

>>136163
now that the dust has settled, can we admit that MIPS was just a marketing scam and doesn't do shit to protect your head and neck?

Anonymous No. 139015

>>136163
I used a GPS once when I actually needed to track where I was while on a real man's bike tour all over the Hebrides in Scotland and the Orkneys and the coasts of both West and East. Stuff you pussies wouldn't know much about because you're too busy clocking your gay rides up Kings Canyon. Imagine.

Anonymous No. 139019

>>138958

Its kinda true when you're riding a unrestricted electric dirtbike.

Image not available

375x577

1673812774659501.jpg

Anonymous No. 139020

>>139014
probably, but all the high end trail helmets have it and are usually more comfortable than a 20 dolla block of foam

Image not available

1024x768

1614720397155.jpg

Anonymous No. 139021

>>139014
>Put rubber fake head in helmet
>It sticks to the eps lining
>"Wowee guys! When we put a layer of teflon in between, it doesn't stick anymore!!1! A solid rubber head is totally representative of your head with hair and scalp, so you need to pay $10 more for a helmet with our 10c piece of teflon that mimics a scalp!"
How did people fall for that meme in the first place? I think they finally admitted defeat with their gay "slip plane" and have just stolen 6d's tech from motocross kek

Anonymous No. 139023

>too tall for a medium frame
>too short for a large frame
being a manlet sucks

Anonymous No. 139027

>>139023
Get the medium

Image not available

1504x1000

00026-1167942919.png

Anonymous No. 139028

>>139023
Go for a medium, sizing up is a meme and will prevent you from getting maximum leverage on the frame
>t. 180cm

Anonymous No. 139045

>>138980
>What's the purpose of it being standardized

Ease of service, ability to find parts, it works better, they only make that post you want in a 125mm drop maximum you would probably want something closer to a 150-240 depending on your height. Also having owned a similar style post I can say that they are shit, you have to take a hand off the bars to drop the seat, it also eliminates the possibility of doing a toboggan. Or any seat grab trick

>>138977
I think that you as a person who has never built a bike before starting with this was a misstep.

They make the kind of bike you are trying to build. The Norco shore, the Propain spindrift, the Norco range, the nukeproof giga. Or some other freeride bikes that will accept a dual crown.
Just post your abomination so we can judge.

Anonymous No. 139047

>>138818
You retard
I'm this anon >>139045
I just looked it up because I wanted to see if it was actually difficult to find a 34.9 post
It's easy
One up sells a 34.9post in all sizes
Pnw sells a 34.9post in all sizes
Bikeyoke sells a 34.9post In all sizes.
ks the brand you went with sells the rage si in 34.9 from 100mm to 190mm travel,
Did you even look?
You are buying a post a maximum 125mm post to go on a downhill bike frame. Are you a manlet, or just stupid?

Anonymous No. 139060

>>139014
I agree that evidence isn't supper well supported but most of the high end helmets that do a better job of protection anyways have it and do test better whether it's because of the MIPS or just from it being a better helmet.

Image not available

235x233

1667441513546332.jpg

Anonymous No. 139080

>>139028
>bike only makes large frames and up
>at the lowest range for the minimum height requirement
i can still ride it if i add one of those spacer things that reduces the reach right?

Anonymous No. 139111

>>139080
Large-only bikes are memes desu, designed to offer the consumer additional purchasing options using only hearsay and ultra-personal “well momma always said my legs were big” gut feelings without any objective reasoning why one is definitively better than the other.

Double the profits by being “cutting edge” and “having options” while making the consumers do the actual research for you

Anonymous No. 139124

>>139111
So I should look for other brands that caters to manlets like me?

Image not available

700x754

1672276602813732.png

Anonymous No. 139125

>>139023
>>139080
You might have to make some modifications but it depends on your body proportions more than anything. My enduro bike is a large for 5'10-6'2 and I'm 5'9. The reach is actually perfect for me, it's just that my legs are a bit stubby. I love the bike, but I'm reeeally considering turning it into a mullet
What bike are you looking at?

Image not available

751x498

headset thing.png

Anonymous No. 139131

>>139080
Depends on how big the bikes they make actually are. The important thing is that the length from the bottom bracket to the handlebars is not longer than the height that you can deadlift. If it's longer, you're gimping your power while simultaneously restricting your movement.
>i can still ride it if i add one of those spacer things that reduces the reach right?
Not really. Unless it's one of those bikes that has one of the larger headset flip chip things like picrel, a reach-adjusting headset is only gonna shorten the size by a few millimeters

Image not available

297x435

mmmmm.jpg

Anonymous No. 139132

>>138933
>Yes but I'm physically far stronger than pro riders so I don't care if going uphill is a workout.

Image not available

475x356

Buster.jpg

Anonymous No. 139133

>>138977
>I'm not pro at all, just stronger than them. I can outlift every MTB pro on the planet

Image not available

404x347

1674957321518050.gif

Anonymous No. 139164

>>139013
>Why don't you post your full build so we can judge? RicRel is mine.
Because its not done, and half the parts are still in boxes since I'm currently building the wheels and don't have the forks
>Why are you trying to impress me by claiming your rich?
I never said I was rich, you said that. I'm just not a poorfag
>You are doing yourself a disservice by not engaging with the market because the only way you will get ahead is by having an inside man.
The inside man is me. I can build my own houses. I'm the guy buying the 150 acres
>A reason that is better than 'I am too lazy to route a cable'.
I'm not lazy, I just don't want another cable. The dropzone lever fixes the issue of a cable and price. Whatever box you're trying to put me in, I won't have it
> How do you find out that you are stronger than the pros?
By knowing what your lifts are and then youtubing what MTB pros lift
>You mean like every single long travel enduro bike out there?
>>139045
>They make the kind of bike you are trying to build.
I was going to buy a spindrift but my friend messaged propain if they would have any sales and the girl who emailed back said no. The furious was on sale so I bought it. Lo and behold, propain then has a sale a month later
>mfw

Anonymous No. 139165

>>139047
You're missing the part where I don't want a cable and I don't want to pay 800+ for a fucking dropper
>You are buying a post a maximum 125mm post to go on a downhill bike frame. Are you a manlet, or just stupid?
6'1
The seat height only has to be marginally better than way the fuck down, for whatever minimal climbing I'm doing. I also measured my inseam and the theoretical distance from bottom of pedal stroke to max seat height. 100mm travel is all I need. Literally smarter than you

Anonymous No. 139169

>>139164
> Because its not done
We don't need photos, just a parts list.

> I never said I was rich
> I can buy 3 AXS posts if I wanted, on half of the profit from this month alone.
You cannot have your cake and eat it too champ.

> The inside man is me. I can build my own houses.
Then use the money you save to stop compaining/buy somewhere that isn't call Bumfuque Nowhere.

> I just don't want another cable.
That is you being purely lazy. Tell me, what is the issue of having another cable? There is no issue unless you are too lazy to set it up.

> I was going to buy a spindrift but my friend messaged propain if they would have any sales and the girl who emailed back said no. The furious was on sale so I bought it. Lo and behold, propain then has a sale a month later
IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! You cannot route a cable actuated dropper because you purchased a DH bike when you needed a long travel enduro bike. You fucking spud. Also, the sales staff never know when sales are happening. They literally get told a day or two before it happens. You have no one to blame but yourself.

> 100mm travel is all I need. Literally smarter than you
This, this is real smooth brain here. I run a 170mm dropper on my all mountain/enduro bike. The seat still gets in the way on rough and steep terrain. With your 100mm of drop you will either be getting now power while pedalling up the hill or the seat will be butt fucking you the entire way down.

Why did you not post your build plan here first? We could have stopped you fucking up.

Anonymous No. 139204

Yeah I’m all for unique bike choices and being yourself and all, but if you wanted a spindrift then yeah, a FRS/furious is not a direct replacement. Furious is a DH bike for people who like enduro bikes, Spindrift is an enduro bike for people who like DH bikes

Anonymous No. 139211

>>139125
was thinking about the ragley bikes,since they're mostly large frames and up but I think they're too big
>>139131
>length from the bottom bracket to the handlebars is not longer than the height that you can deadlift
I can deadlift anon and its good to have a rule of thumb, but man that's pretty short reach for me then

Image not available

603x587

1668032247334294.png

Anonymous No. 139216

>>139164
>I was going to buy a spindrift but my friend messaged propain if they would have any sales and the girl who emailed back said no. The furious was on sale so I bought it. Lo and behold, propain then has a sale a month later
>>mfw
Kek

Anonymous No. 139244

I'm finally mountain biking again on saturday. Fucking injuries and weather kept me off the trails but I'll get one day at one park before it starts raining again.

>>139164
>I was going to buy a spindrift but my friend messaged propain if they would have any sales and the girl who emailed back said no. The furious was on sale so I bought it. Lo and behold, propain then has a sale a month later
RIP, I know that feel. The customer service bot told me EVIL Wreckonings and Insurgents would be back in stock in a few weeks, it was right, but a month or so after I bought my Wreckoning V3 for $3750, EVIL refreshed the model and gave it integrated trunnion spacers which is something I REALLY wanted because these are a fucking pain to work with when you have to put the shock back on, and they discounted it to $3500 for the remainder of the 4th quarter.

Anonymous No. 139252

>>139250
>>139250
>>139250
Youtube link edition