Image not available

1600x900

27georgefloyd-vid....jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 137125

Would it be wise to come back to martial arts after an ACL + meniscus repair?

>2018
>sparring with partner in MT class
>practicing takedowns; I throw a teep, partner catches my left leg, tries to take me down
>right leg immediately locks and then everyone hears the loudest *snap*
>I'm now laying down on the floor, right knee looks like a balloon and it's now the second time I snapped my ACL, first time I tear a meniscus
>get surgery, rehab and retire from martial arts
>current year +8
>Almost 23. Have been doing mostly cardio (swimming 3x week) some weightlifting (2x week) for almost three months now,
>not related to any recovery or rehab plan, it's just I wanted to take better care of my body
>although I'm decent at swimming, and I like weightlifting at my home gym, I still miss doing martial arts

I'm also stuck between either coming back to Muay Thai (reasoning being i might've forgotten everything after all this time) or trying something like judo (originally this was the plan 5 years ago, but I had that little accident). Any recommendations?

Anonymous No. 137130

>>137125
I'd ask a doctor to be honest, they'll have the best insight to whether or not getting back into martial arts is a good idea. But if you feel completely fine then I dont see any problem with getting back into training as long as you dont do any hard sparring.

Anonymous No. 137173

>>137125
youre only 23? if youre weightlifting and your knees arent giving you issues, i would go for it but just be careful and start off light. myabe just start off shadowboxing. I personally would avoid wrestling BJJ and Judo (really most grappling) if i had a fucked up knee

good luck

Anonymous No. 137181

>>137125
Yes, pretty safe, all that weightlifting already strengthened your quads and hamstrings enough for it to be safe again. ACL tear is a common injury that happens to wrestling and grappling martial artists and it isn’t any career ending affair. Just start off light

>t. Coming back from a 9-month ACL surgery rehab

Anonymous No. 138942

>>137130
>>137173
>>137181
OP here, I forgot to surface around here in a long while. Thanks for the replies. Yeah the reason I wanted to go with grappling was since I already had the basics in striking (TKW, boxing, MT background), I wanted to experiment with grappling, throws and submission (Judo, BJJ); any of these seem very cool to me. I'll search for a Judo or Jujitsu dojo nearby where I can start light and really nail the basics to minimize potential knee injuries. Should I also train for flexibility in the meanwhile (as in doing some stretches, yoga or any exercise to gain body flexibility)?

Anonymous No. 138959

>>138942
>Should I also train for flexibility in the meanwhile (as in doing some stretches, yoga or any exercise to gain body flexibility)?
Yes. You should always train flexibility, mobility, strength, and cardio, as well as fundamental movement patterns. If you consult a doctor go to a sports doctor since normal doctors tend to be over-cautious.

Anonymous No. 138961

>>138942
seriously be careful doing judo dude the first time i did my knee and other dudes knee acted like magnets and bonked together, i had to drop to one knee shit hurt so bad lol

Anonymous No. 138962

>>138942
as far as stretches do variations of the pigeon pose and for lifting do some leg extensions to build up muscles around the knee to make it resistant to re-injury