Image not available

333x250

FrequentRecklessA....gif

🧵 "Teaching" Self-Defense

Anonymous No. 137281

I didn't know where to post this, so I'm posting it here because it talks the most about Judo and self-defense.

I'm a black belt in Judo, could I get away with freelancing as a at-home women's self-defense teacher or is it a bad idea? I would be charging 60 bucks an hour.

Anonymous No. 137293

>>137281
Most womens self defense instructors literally have no real fighting experience so you’re actually overly qualified

Anonymous No. 137294

>>137281
>being a judo instructor
> tutoring privately at home
>for women

Do you, in this day and age, really want to go to prison that hard?

If you go and earn the money doing classes where you can videotape it thats fine but I would never, never, never tutor a woman alone at their home. Its a rape allegation in waiting. Additionally not in a sport that required me to physically touch them. Honestly, find a dojo and ask them if you can rent the place for your sport when they are closed or go and get the money from private tutoring white and yellow belts. Less money, but doi likely not end up in prison.

Anonymous No. 137319

>>137294
This. Depending on where you are, you'll find yourself fucked in court just for not carrying the right kinds of insurance, let alone anything that comes from their end. Private residence carries all manner of legal problems that don't exist for public business.

Anonymous No. 137340

>>137319
Couldn't I have them sign a waiver saying I won't rape anyone or intentionally kill anyone.

Anonymous No. 137345

>>137340
Sketchy. Ask a lawyer... even so, you can be jew'd by another lawyer. Plus, it will draw away a bunch of clients.

Anonymous No. 137354

>>137340
in 2030 you will need a consent waiver just to talk to hold a woman's hand, so yes probably.

Anonymous No. 137366

>>137293
/thread

Anonymous No. 140090

>>137293
this
>went to a 'kickboxing self-defense' class with my cousin
>no sparring
>no bag work
>30 minutes of cardio warmup then 15 of air-punching

>>137294
this is correct but for the wrong reasons. The rape part isn't the problem, it's the pay part. If you're going to do self-defense classes, starting a dojo is comparatively really fucking cheap as far as businesses go and is less work than one-on-one consulting:
>rent a warehouse
>buy padded floors
>get insurance for it
>make a sign
>get stripe to take credit cards and bill monthly
>set up a cheapo square space with a cheapo google calendar and set up yelp
>hand out business cards and post flyers near schools and local businesses
That's literally it, at which point you charge like 150 a month per student, most of them don't even show up but pay you anyway, and you net like 20 grand a month off like 4 hours a day of work

Anonymous No. 140096

>>140090
Are dojos really that profitable? How much could you make a year?

Anonymous No. 140097

>>140096
The big money comes from kids classes and summer schools. If you can get a school to start feeding to your dojo, that can easily be 40-60 kids, at like 150 a month each, that's 6,000-9,000 a month.

This is more than enough to pay for ground rent, expenses, and wear-and-tear, and most schools will have both kid and adult classes in which families happily both feed in to boost those numbers up. It's a lot of work but it's basically pure money you make for yourself if you don't hire anyone else and already have the skills to be the founding teacher -- which if you're a black belt, you do.

Anonymous No. 140841

This >>137293 is pretty accurate.
The only issue is that modern women's self-defense as a culture, is less about the actual 'Oh fuck this 6'6 fat black dude with no shirt is chasing me and gaining ground' and more with developing general self-confidence for women in social situations.
While it may sound utterly retarded, there is a non-negligible population of women out there that, through education, experience, or being coded that way, can't help but physically appraise people by capacity to harm, rape, or overpower them.
I mean, I do that as well (not the rape bit, but the 'can this dude overpower me if we went right now'), but for Sally, who's a 5'5 blonde twig who considers a half hour jog and a 3kg bicep curl set a hard workout, it's something more concerning.
Especially when you consider modern feminism being very much against that attitude.

So "women's self defense" exists. To provide, in a short time, a comfy little set of approaches (mostly shit, but some with vaguely good theory) to a physically confronting situation that they may dread.
These won't win fights. The techniques aren't even taught with consideration that they might be used in a fight. But they give little Sally enough self-confidence to go to a nightclub with her galpals and not freak when she loses sight of the feminine shield wall in the crowd of drunks. Because if one of them tries to grope a boob, she knows how to break his finger.

The issue with teaching ACTUAL self defense to women, is that actual fights are exactly the kind of confronting, depowering, stressful situation that they want to avoid. Being flipped on your head, choked out, having some big dude putting his bodyweight on your chest, cutting your air off?
Yeah it'll help you survive if it actually happens, but unless she sticks with it for years, and commits a lot of her life to it over that time, it's only going to lower Sally's confidence. Because now she's more aware of how she can be overpowered, or bested.
Cont.

Anonymous No. 140842

>>140841

My personal advice, is to half-arse both. Break Judo down (as well as incorporate some basic MMA) into just a couple techniques to deal with situations that they might encounter in a social situation gone wrong. Lapel grabs, hair pulls, head locks, wrist locks, and a "when in doubt, eyes, throat and nuts".
Do it both at-home, but also offer classes to groups, like schools, office spaces, clubs, where the woman, put in what is technically a confronting situation, has others to share the confrontation with, instead of one dude who's demonstratably able to overpower her.
Do try and teach them to do it with power. But don't go with a full force Kiah for demonstration, as that's also confronting (and why 'instructors' always demonstrate with no force).
Bring a buddy to demonstrate, if you want to do fancier moves, be polite, professional, and always recommend that "regular and proper training at a gym or dojo" is the best defense.

Also, bear in mind, women's self-defense wasn't aways a confidence thing. Back in the days, Bartitsu, alongside being heralded as a comprehensive combat art for men, was also taught to women as a practical approach to personal safety.

>>137345
>Know a lawyer.
Legal contracts exist both to hold parties to their word, but also to ensure that the 'arrangement' is understood.
That being said, yes a "sign here so you can't sue me for damages" waver would kill a women's self-defense business.

Anonymous No. 140859

>>137281
You going to teach them to run track, Anon?

Best form of self defense is to leave.

Anonymous No. 140863

>>137281
This reminds me...
At the end of last January, about three months ago, a girl in my local MMA dojo, where I practice Judo and Karate for the past 18 years. challenged me to a practice fight.
The thing was/is that I am 6'4 and 240lbs, and she cant have been any larger than 5'1 and 100lbs at a good day. Her coach strongly discouraged it, but she had been at the dojo for 5 years and she wanted to see if she could take out the biggest guy around, because that is what she has always been practicing for, so she is able to defend herself from anyone. My coach and friend discouraged me from going all out, but she heard him and demanded I hold nothing back.
I ragdolled her, it was no contest, and she noticed I didnt go all out. Today she resigned from the dojo, reciting that it has all been for nothing, and refused to even speak to me about it, because I didnt take her seriously. I feel really poorly about the whole thing. She had been very promising and her coach is very disappointed in me for crushing her dream of being an olympian.
Her coach and me got into a loud verbal argument when I pointed out that she never should have put the notion in her head that she could take out a man over two times her size.
I have the girls number who resigned from the dojo, should I text that I am sorry? I am big, but I am gentle, I dont want anyone to feel bad around me.

Anonymous No. 140864

>>140863
This didn't happen.

Anonymous No. 140884

>>140864
Women are genuinely delusional. I've had several similar experiences

Anonymous No. 140892

>>140884
I don't he got her phone number.

Anonymous No. 140898

>>140842
>a "sign here so you can't sue me for damages" waver would kill a women's self-defense business.
Not correct. People will sign them as a matter of course, you just say
>this is a physical activity, we can and will make it as safe as we can, but it's not possible for us to eliminate all risk during the training process, so you gotta sign a waiver before you can start training.

Anonymous No. 140912

>>137281
Group classes pay better. Why get $60/hr when you get could get $3-600/hr with a class of 5-10 stupid women that want some martial arts kayfabe or moxie to rub off on them?

Anonymous No. 140972

Insurance rates are going to sky rocket for shit like this after today. And if you're not insured, be ready to cover $46 million in damages.

Image not available

800x624

chinese ladies lo....jpg

Anonymous No. 140988

>>137281
going to get my cert from china later this year to start teaching traditional wushu. Been doing it about 10 years now. I'm teaching 2 women rn in a pretty casual capacity until I get my cert from chin woo. I think group is always the way to go. Like individual is fine for basics, but it's always better to practice drills in groups. I assume youre not a woman, and I assume you're not a manlet. So you won't be a good training partner for your clients, plus you already know what you're doing. New students should feel things out with new students. They learn better together. I would've had a much harder time learning myself, if it was just me and sifu. Whereas me and my buddy from high school that are about the same size weight and strength, yeah we get a lot out of practicing applications on each other. I remember back in school wrestling, everyone would break into partners that were the same size and experience as each other to practice moves. It just makes sense.

Anonymous No. 140994

>>140972
What happened today?

Anonymous No. 141000

>>140994
https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2023/03/30/jury-awards-over-46-million-to-man-paralyzed-in-jiu-jitsu-lesson-in-del-mar/

Image not available

482x562

new uniform green.jpg

Anonymous No. 141097

got a new uniform for kung fu tournament next month. wish me luck guys.

Anonymous No. 141098

>>141097
lol wrong thread disregard

Anonymous No. 141187

>>141000
>who placed Greener in a position that put his entire body weight upon Greener and crushed his cervical vertebrae, paralyzing him.
How? I don't practice BJJ, but from a judo perspective I can't think any techniques that would put your entire weight on someones neck.

Anonymous No. 141192

>>141187
Maybe he tried to granby roll him over his neck or something

Anonymous No. 141194

>>141097
damn the headless horseman knows kung fu

Anonymous No. 141199

>>141192
I can't really see that happening though.