Image not available

493x750

catch.jpg

🧵 Martial arts books

Anonymous No. 137304

What are your favourite books on history, philosophy and practice? any martial art.

Anonymous No. 137314

>>137304
Here is a magnet link with all the martial arts books I got

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:dh3do4bsyobjeo5aibd3vkyls3t6o6j4&dn=Self-Defense&xl=1883943234&fc=120

Anonymous No. 137346

Mind Over Muscle by Jigoro Kano and Atemi-Waza by Kano.

Anonymous No. 137375

cheers fellas

Anonymous No. 137486

>>137314
I've tried to use the link in two different computers with two different trackers and it's not working.

Anonymous No. 137501

>>137486
worked for me with qbit

Image not available

3617x3617

19.153.16_007feb2....jpg

KM !hgcMxFhLmk No. 139385

My favourite there is probably "Old School" by Ellis Amdur. The three (thin) volumes of assorted articles put together by Skoss as "The Classical Warrior Traditions of Japan" series are also a good read. Both being about Japanese koryu, so your mileage may vary if that doesn't interest you.

Anonymous No. 139386

>>137304
Ok

Image not available

1328x1872

Kodokan Judo by D....jpg

Anonymous No. 139391

>>137304

Anonymous No. 139552

>>139385
Old School is pretty much a must read for anyone interested in martial arts involving weapons, koryu or not, and his other two books Hidden in Plain Sight and Dueling with Osensei are definitely worth a read even if you don't give a damn about aikido or koryu.

Image not available

333x500

33967373.jpg

Anonymous No. 139733

This, though it has good advice it's mostly for McBanes insane life story

Anonymous No. 139748

>>139391
This is the only martial arts book you need. Train Judo.

Skinny penis No. 139776

>>137314
Me an ignorant, how to search?

Anonymous No. 139836

>>137304
Championship Fighting by Jack Dempsey
Kill or be Killed by W.E. Fairbairn
Vollständiges Ring-Buch (Complete book of wrestling) by Johann Georg Pascha

Anonymous No. 140217

>>139776
>>>/t/687343

Anonymous No. 141663

finished Mind Over Muscle by Jigoro Kano, listening to on the warriors path, makes me wanna read tao of jeet kune do next i think.

Anonymous No. 141677

>>141663
Would recommend. I like what I've read of Dr. Kano's writing and I liked Tao of Jeet Kune Do. It's been a long time since I've read it so I don't really have any specific commentary; perhaps that means it's time to read it again.

Anonymous No. 141681

>>141663
>>141677
The Tao of Jeet Kune Do is a great collection of knowledge, definitely worth checking out. Keep in mind it's just a collection of notes put together after Lee died, and it reads like that. It wasn't something that was ever intended to be published. The majority of the book (something like 85%) is notes copied down from books in Bruce Lee's library for his personal use. Largely just material Lee was studying and gathering for his personal training and teaching. So you'll see sections from old boxing and fencing manuals, along with Zen philosophy, psychology and coaching books. There's a recent book called "Who Wrote the Tao?" that cites exactly where his notes came from. Might be cool to get that as a companion piece. Then if you find something interesting you can often look at the original source and read more. It's interesting seeing exactly what Bruce was studying back then, as well as the origins of some ideas he taught to his students.

Anonymous No. 141701

>>141681
>Keep in mind it's just a collection of notes put together after Lee died, and it reads like that.
I recall enjoying that aspect of it. I was briefly better about taking my own notes in the wake of reading it and even started working on drawing a little bit (a good notetaking skill for a martial artist, it would seem).
>There's a recent book called "Who Wrote the Tao?" that cites exactly where his notes came from. Might be cool to get that as a companion piece. Then if you find something interesting you can often look at the original source and read more.
Rad, looking it up now. Thanks.

Anonymous No. 141764

>>137304
There is a book I have called Secret Tactics.
It has a bunch of essays, sayings, writings, quotes, tips, tricks, and lessons from various martial arts masters compiled into one book.
The real secret can basically be summarized as: train more, train to the point where martial movements can be done without thought or hesitation. Train until the fundamentals are physically engrained into the core of your being, train until your mind can remain blank and calm yet instantly strike down the opponent the split second a opening arises with no though given to the particulars of technique. Basically train until you are more like a force of nature than a strategist with clever plans and tricks, then train some more.

Since the sections are relatively short and the message are just different flavors of "go train more", it makes for really good motivational reading. Especially when training is feeling a bit boring and the urge to slack off is strong.

Image not available

546x782

2022-05-12_15-18-12.jpg

Anonymous No. 142610

>>139733

I bought that fairly recently after doing a mcbane smallsword workshop a few years ago, so far ive only skimmed it. So far it seems pretty damn good, but i need to thoroughly read it.

Also this is a really good book if you want to do classical/italian sabre. Im not sure how much it differs from actual radaellian/barbasetti sources but theres some neat stuff about the false edge cutting thats from austro-hungarian sabre.