Image not available

696x457

bjjjudo.jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

i want to learn both, help me No. 137566

what should i go first, BJJ or Judo?

Anonymous No. 137570

>>137566
Which sport interests you more, if you go to a great gym of either you’ll be learning the same things. Obviously more of the ground or standing depending on the choice. But figure out what interests you more, hunting for a takedown or hunting for a submission. In judo you have the option to do either but you have to wait very significant time before you’ll be someone who armbars or chokes everyone compared to taking for the sport of bjj

Anonymous No. 137827

>>137566

depending on the gym, there's overlap between the two so do you want to focus on throws or ground fighting?

If you train BJJ you'll be starting with guards, escapes, simple submissions and progressing to standing with takedowns and later throws.

I haven't trained Judo but I assume it's the opposite, working on grips and basic throws first and progressing to submissions later.

Anonymous No. 137830

>>137566
BJJ is mainly submissions and ground fighting, with varying secondary focus on takedowns, Judo is the opposite

Which one would you rather get better at first? For me, I'm pretty decent for a BJJ White Belt with minimal training, but I'm starting to be more interested in Judo

Anonymous No. 137834

Thank you all, i think i'm going to judo

Anonymous No. 137849

>>137834
No wrong choice either way brother. Just remember that in the beginning, as with anything, it might be hard at first but it gets easier. Also, if you feel yourself getting thrown in randori and you don't think you can get out of it, it is always better to go with it, just focus on falling safely so no one gets hurt, you'll know. Have fun!

Anonymous No. 137869

>>137849
thaks anon

Anonymous No. 137871

Well OP, what do you like more, stand-up grappling or ground grappling?

Both share a lot of things in common since BJJ is based on Judo. Mitsuyo Maeda was a judo black belt and student of Kano (its founder). He moved to Brazil in 1914 and taught Carlos Gracie, who modified his teachings along with his brother Helio and their system became known as Gracie Jiu Jitsu. If you want to fight on the ground you'll prefer BJJ, but if you find that boring you'll prefer Judo. However, keep in mind that in Judo you also have to fight on the ground.

Anonymous No. 137994

I would recommend judo

Or bjj with striking (never bjj alone)

Bjj is all fun and games until you realise it teaches zero striking defence

Anonymous No. 138000

>>137566
I wrestled for a few months before i started. cant image what it would be like without that wrestling background first. I imagine judo will create a similar effect.

Anonymous No. 138014

>>137994
>for
Real, fundamental bjj shows striking defense. Judo doesn't

Anonymous No. 138053

judo looks fun because being flipped and flipping people looks fun. is this a retarded way to decide?

Anonymous No. 138061

>>138053
Nope. Dropping someone on concrete will break their neck. Too dangerous for police to use but perfect for self defence

Anonymous No. 138441

I like both, I want to train both but unless you're young or jobless it's gonna be hard. MMA has both but not to a degree training it individually does...

Anonymous No. 138722

is judo harder to learn than bjj?

Anonymous No. 138749

>>138722
Yes because stand-up grappling takes months to hone your body posturing, grips, and technique to pull off throws. And it takes a toll on your body.

BJJ takes a while to learn, but if you keep at it, you're going to pick up on guardwork and sweeps much quicker than stand-up grappling. It won't be as taxing on your body, but you gotta worry about shit like ringworm and cauliflower ear.

Anonymous No. 138835

>>138014
Judo teaches striking defense in all kata faggot

Anonymous No. 138836

>>138835
Judo's Goshin Jutsu isn't as pressure tested as BJJ's long history of Vale Tudo which addressed dealing with the attacker raining down strikes while a Jiu-Jitiero grapples with them. Many of the early BJJ schools had boxing and other striking involved in training.

People forget that Kano's own writings dedicate quite a bit to strike defense and even hits that Judoka can do, but these stemmed from Jujutsu atemi and Shotokan Karate (Funakoshi taught at the Kodokan). It needs to be updated against chap ko (clinching from Muay Thai) as well as elbows and knee defense and especially shin kicks to the thigh.

Anonymous No. 138855

>>138014
I’ve been to Gracie gyms that taught striking defense. It’s bullshit though, you’re better off doing MMA for the real thing.

Anonymous No. 138970

>>137834
desu judo is more fun (imo) and probably easier to learn simply by virtue that BJJ has like a million different moves that each have like 5 distinct steps so its a fuck ton to remember
not as many judo techniques that you need to learn to be profficient
some judo practitioners even specialize in just a couple of different throws, its just overall less information to grapple with (pun intended)

Anonymous No. 138972

>>138053
this isnt retarded, its true
t. took like 3 judo times and bjj like 20
judo is funner

Anonymous No. 138973

>>138722
>>138749
i have to disagree i personally found there to be just way too much information to remember in BJJ, theres like a gajillion moves and frankly my monkey brain cant handle that
i dont think that learning the balance and stance will be that hard, but i do agree that its generally rougher on your body

Anonymous No. 138976

>>138972
>t. took like 3 judo times and bjj like 20
What did he mean by this?

Anonymous No. 138982

>>138053
BJJ is really fun if you're a nerd who likes intricate technical things. Judo is fun if you want to throw people on the floor.

Anonymous No. 138992

>>137566
It's easier to go from judo to bjj than other way around

Anonymous No. 138995

>>138855

BJJ doesn't teach strike defense anymore

and even when it did they fucking sucked at it. Vale Tudo fags just get punched in the head while they scramble for takedowns.

Anonymous No. 139029

>>138053
I've done Judo for 12 years now and BJJ for 4, landing a good throw on someone will always be way more fun and feel like way more of an achievement than submitting someone.

Anonymous No. 139076

>>139029
Judoka here as well, love when people stand up with me at bjj, it is almost an instant takedown to side control

Anonymous No. 139151

>>138995
Which is a real shame because Carlson Gracie would have his guys train in striking and defense against strikes thanks to his Vale Tudo experience. There's a picture of Carlson with boxing gloves on and also doing sparring with his half-brother Rolls.

Image not available

3400x3300

Kano Jigoro. - Ko....jpg

Anonymous No. 139196

>>137834
Drill your ukemi every day. It's the single most important skill you learn in judo. Falling can wreck you in normal day-to-day life, especially once you get old but even when you're young, so hedging against that by learning to reflexively fall properly is wise.

>>138053
Learn kata guruma, it'll be your favorite throw.

>>138722
>>138973
Judo is BJJ plus some other stuff. BJJ is just an autistic hyperfixation on judo ground work because Mitsuyo Maeda, instructor of Carlos Gracie, was particularly good at it.

Anonymous No. 139200

>>137566
judo for street fighting, self defense, and being an alpha male that can throw people across the room or slam them on the ground

Bjj if you're homosexual and lie on your fucking back 90% and get into little pretzel positions in your yoga pants.

Anonymous No. 139202

>>137834
based

Anonymous No. 139209

>>139196
Man, this book and Judo in general, seems like a way of life. Always interested in combining something physical and rather philosophical

Anonymous No. 140080

>>139209
Nowadays it is just a sport people do as a hobby. Jigoro Kano wanted it to be a way to live by while learning self defense, exercise and problem solving with mutual benefit (thus the reason from changing the common name jiujitsu (gentle art) to judo (gentle way))

Anonymous No. 140144

>>140080
>Jigoro Kano wanted it to be a way to live by while learning self defense, exercise and problem solving with mutual benefit
There are still people who teach it like this, but I do agree that sport-first judo seems to be far more prevalent.

Anonymous No. 140159

>>140144
It is so hard to find a school that teaches true judo. But if you aren't involved in the sport you don't get any support from governing bodies. Plus the casual market is already filled by brazilian judo (BJJ) so a freestyle judo place would be hard to keep open.

Anonymous No. 140165

>>140159
>It is so hard to find a school that teaches true judo.
I agree.
>But if you aren't involved in the sport you don't get any support from governing bodies
My instructor, who was old school and influential within the American and international judo community, taught us that sport judo was a tool for studying judo proper, so it is possible to teach both, the former being a subset of the latter. This unfortunately doesn't seem to be the mainstream approach but I have met a number of instructors more ideologically in line with Dr. Kano's original intent than the typical sport-only judo places.