Image not available

1024x683

bg-1024x683.jpg

๐Ÿงต Sandbag Training for Judo

Anonymous No. 137772

Does anyone use sandbag for Judo or BJJ training? Mostly the former. I don't have the money to purchase a power rack, weights, and barbell to do any barbell lifting. However, I do have 200 lbs. of tube sand and a canvas fitness bag.

My question is: How effective is sandbag training for overall strength training and how well does it translate in Judo.

(I know this may be more for /fit/, but /fit/ is frankly horrible and filled with coomerbait. So I'm trying here.)

Anonymous No. 137775

As an all in one, especially if it's your only option, it's pretty good. You may want to sacrifice a gi top, or get ahold of someone's about to be trash one, so you can wrap it for grip and rip work. Treat it like you would any other power work. 5, 6 rep sets. Once you're comfortable lapping it with relative ease, there's all manner of twisting, shouldering, throwing, holding etc you can do. Standing up with it in a full hug grip from your back can be amazing for full body power. And while it may not exactly be sport specifc, working things like a suplex with it it is great for back power.