Image not available

1280x720

1665222547541986.webm

🧵 What styles of martial arts are actually legit?

Anonymous No. 138468

Hapkido? Taekwondo? I've got some options but I'm not sure what to pursue

Anonymous No. 138478

>>138468
There's plenty of recommendations in the other threads if you looked but assuming you're not a troll, here's a rundown:

Don't do Korean arts. They have good flashy kicks but you should have a solid striking base like boxing or muay thai first and then learn TKD or Tang Soo Do as a supplement.

Avoid most karate and kenpo. Kyokushin and other knockdown styles will toughen you up, but you have to find a school that trains face punches. If they don't put on gloves and spar, avoid.

Wrestling, BJJ, Sambo and Judo are all a must. They will condition you better than anything else.

Savate and Sanda are unique striking styles to learn as well.

Anonymous No. 138481

avoid traditional/eastern martial arts unless you're more interested in the "art" part of martial arts. Muay Thai, kickboxing and boxing are all solid striking arts. Wrestling, Judo and BJJ are the bread and butter of grappling. Choose one of those or do MMA if you're interested in learning it all at once at the expense of your overall mastery of each skill.

Anonymous No. 138485

>>138468
>What styles of martial arts are actually legit?
Western boxing, wrestling, Muay Thai are the most legit.

Fuck all that TaeKwanHapRexDoFu bullshit.

Anonymous No. 138488

>>138468
>>138478
>>138481
>>138485
Judo. Only Judo.

Anonymous No. 138489

>>138488
The only Judo place in my town is an hour away

Anonymous No. 138491

>>138489
What's within 30 minutes to your house / a place you frequent like work or college? List those and we can cut the fat out.

Anonymous No. 138495

>>138488
I do Judo and Boxing, but I'm giving anon a variety of the best options. Judo is amazing but it doesn't address punch to the body and face, low kicks to the thigh, elbows, knees, and advanced ground-fighting unless it's one of those Judo dojos that give significant time for newaza.

Ideally if I had a Muay school as well as BJJ academy, I would train there too to make me well rounded.

Anonymous No. 138505

>>138468
>What styles of martial arts are actually legit?
The ones that you train in a legit way.

Anonymous No. 138551

>>138491
BJJ/Muay Thai (in the same building but different schools that each have their own cost)
Taekwondo
Hapkido
That's it

Anonymous No. 138611

>>138468
Boxing/kickboxing/Muay Thai + bjj/judo/sambo/wrestling

Anonymous No. 138612

>>138611
I wish my country had Sambo

Anonymous No. 138614

>>138612
Just do judo they’re basically the same martial art with different rulesets and are taught side by side in most Eastern European countries

Anonymous No. 138615

>>138612
Sambo is retarded. Kudo is way better.

Anonymous No. 138616

>>138614
I wish I could. The closest Judo place is an hour away

Anonymous No. 138657

>>138551
Muay Thai is the most well rounded striking martial art in the world, and having the option to train bjj just next door sounds great as well. depending on what you want to get out of it i'd say start with Muay Thai Anon.

Anonymous No. 138672

>>138551
Go with the Muay Thai.

Anonymous No. 138676

>>138672
>>138657
Would it be dumb to do boxing and MT? The same place has a boxing class right before MT?

Anonymous No. 138678

>>138676
If you have the time and cash, do both. If you can do only one, do the Muay Thai.

Boxing is great, but Muay Thai teaches you to use more tools, and will condition you better than boxing alone.

Anonymous No. 138683

>>138657
>i'd say start with Muay Thai Anon.
*gets taken down*

Anonymous No. 139194

>>138488
>>138495
My kudan (posthumous jūdan) judo instructor also taught taekwondo (9th dan) and felt that together they prepared you to fight at all ranges. He made the judo students practice atemi awza and the taekwondo students spent some time on the basics of ukemi, nage waza, and katame waza (this tears the lightweight dobok). His teaching career began in Korea as an unarmed combat instructor during the Korean War so he was a bit more old school and practical minded in teaching those arts than seems to be the norm.

Anonymous No. 141115

>>138468
gun safety.

Anonymous No. 141116

>>138468
Taekwondo is overly flashy and worthless in a real fight. Too focused on optics, too divorced from reality and only really works in a highly regulated competition with strict rules but you're gonna get killed in a street fight doing that shit.

Karate - worthless, too focused on strict form and tradition, too divorced from reality.

Boxing - teaches punching techniques that work in a boxing ring with boxing rules when both people have large padded gloves, but a real fight doesn't use padded gloves and isn't restricted to just punching, so a pure boxing is likely to get killed in a non-boxing fight, as MMA has made abundantly clear.

Most legit martial arts are the well rounded, full contact ones: BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai, Western Wrestling, general MMA gyms, etc.

Anonymous No. 141154

>avoid traditional/eastern martial arts
>Muay Thai are all solid striking arts.
where do you think muay thai is from?

Anonymous No. 141500

The art matters a lot less than how it's trained. Gross generalization isn't useful.

Instead ask 3 questions of any particular place you are thinking of training.

Does the training push your physical fitness?
The training, with a reasonable diet, get or maintain a functional level of fitness for fighting. A dead martial art doesn't prize being fighting fit and the training it's self won't make high demands of your cardio, strength, or endurance.

Are there frequent opportunities to use the techniques at full force against a target.
If it's punches then you should be punching something, be that a bag, a mit, or a pad. If it's kick them you should be kicking something. If it's a block you should block something. If it's swinging a stick then you should have something to hit. If it's throws then they should have crash pads so you can throw with force without injury or have a throw dummy. And so on.
You won't be able to be effective if you are only used to hitting air, blocking and dodging shadows, and holding back always.

Third and probably the most important is is their regular drills with resistance and sparing?
You don't need to regularly full force bash each other in every class for it to be legit. Infact training that way is a almost certain way to injure out of training all together. Instead what I mean is training shouldn't be overly compliant. Once the move is known it should be practiced against someone who is resisting that move in some way. Once the move can be done with controlled resistance such as in a drill, then the move should be incorporated into sparing.
Again, resistance and sparing doesn't mean it has to be full force or without control. Resistance in this context just means containing elements of noncompliance.

If it has all three then congratulations! You found a place that is legit.

Anonymous No. 141508

>>138468
basically this >>141500.
How its trained is much more effective than the content of the actual martial arts.

but within that, there is also another layer of complexity I would add. i think there has to be a popular, widely accepted, culture of full contact competition for a martial arts to be good. Full contact by the way means full strength where people can get injured, not olympic taekwondo points for light touching system.
For example, BJJ/judo/boxing/muaythai/wrestling/etc.etc. all have a very popular full contact competitive scene, which means that the entire sport as a whole are being pressure tested, and the techniques developed and taught over the years are techniques that work within that competition (the ruleset of that competition is another whole new bag of thorns i dont want to get into).
So even if you have a brilliant aikido gym that spars hard, trains conditioning, and does situational realistic pressure drilling, you are better off going to an average BJJ gym, because from the start the pool of "collective hard sparring knowledge" gained over the years of competition is way higher in BJJ than in aikido, and the average technique you learn, drill, and spar in that average bjj gym is going to have a better chance of working on a resisting opponent than in that brilliant aikido gym.
additionally, sports that have full contact competition tend to have gyms that trains fighters well, because otherwise they get destroyed in competitions and lose credibility, and becoming a mcdojo

TLDR; yes, the gym and how they train is very important, so check out the gyms, make sure they drill and spar, make sure they way they spar is also safe and they dont injure everyone, but you'll find better luck in learning how to fight if you pick a gym that have active competitors in a full contact sports. competitors dont need to be world champs either just active in the local scene at least.

Anonymous No. 141510

>>138468
Ranking.
#1. Muay Thai
#2. Sambo
#3. American Wrestling/BJJ (no-gi)
#4. Boxing

the rest of all those traditional martial arts, only a few karate gyms that this guy mentions are worth your time>>138478
Tae Kwon Do is an amazing martial art to pull techniques out of but not rely on.