Image not available

1495x1080

7C5B7018-4D00-423....jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 140897

I have been doing judo a twice a week for a few months. I am about to have every afternoon free as I start a new job, and so I want to add more training days. I would like to try a striking art eventually, but it doesn't have to be now. Do you think it would be better to go to another judo gym near me as well, so that I am going 4-5x a week for judo, until I reach a certain proficiency before starting a striking art, or would it be better to continue 2x a week at judo and add 2-3x a week boxing/muay thai?
Another option is, there is a jiu jitsu gym near me with no gi classes with a focus on takedowns, so essentially wrestling, which also sounds like it'd be both fun and useful to know in conjunction with judo.

Anonymous No. 140944

>>140897
Depends, what are your goals?

Anonymous No. 141019

>>140944
Primarily want to learn judo right now, but also definitely want to minor in a striking art. The thinking behind the no gi is to be comfortable doing judo throws without the gi obviously, and to learn defense against leg takedowns, just to have in my repertoire in case I actually would ever have to use it in the streets, or if the controversial leg ban would be revoked, you never know.
My reason for wanting to learn striking is just to get decently above the average person in terms of striking, and also as a form of cardio when I'm cutting, so I can amp up the striking training during those times to help lose some weight.

Anonymous No. 141048

>>141019
Well if your main focus is judo I'd rule out nogi BJJ (and I say that as a nogi coach) since if leg grabs come back to judo, you'll learn them in judo, and most nogi BJJ takedowns involve grabbing the legs (it's why the stance is so low) so you're not really going to be doing judo throws without the gi. Nogi BJJ takedowns are a lot more wrestling than judo, so it doesn't really sound like it'd suit your goals.

That leaves judo, boxing and muay thai, but it sounds like you really want to do striking. I'm biased but I'd say do Muay Thai. I don't really like the footwork that boxing teaches you in that it doesn't translate as well to arts with leg kicks or takedowns. At least with Muay Thai you stand a lot more front on like you would in judo, so you won't build up as many bad habits as you will with boxing.

Anonymous No. 141050

>>141019
>>141048
I forgot the mention the obvious choice as well. Just do trial classes at all of them and do whatever seems fun. The differences in the arts mean nothing if the gyms are shit.

Anonymous No. 141118

>>141048
Should I do muay thai in southpaw stance since I do judo right handed? Will it even make a difference if I just stick with it?

Anonymous No. 141123

Up to you. One of my guys does judo with his left foot forward because that's his striking stance, despite being right-handed. I do judo with my right foot forward but I also do left-handed throws if I feel like standing left foot forwards because of my striking.

I will say I think it's harder to strike left handed than it is to do judo left handed, simply because your "power" side is now going to be your less dominant side, but that could just be because I've got so much of a habit built in striking right-handed. Karate guys seem to swap fine.

Anonymous No. 141128

>>141123
I’ve known and trained with people who do judo left handed for both that reason and because just like in boxing fighting southpaw gives you a slight advantage

Anonymous No. 141138

>>141118
Do what your coach thinks makes sense. When I dabbled in MT and mentioned I did judo, they suggested I start southpaw, since I'm already comfortable with tripping and sweeping from that stance.