Image not available

4608x3456

č·å§æ.jpg

šŸ§µ Judo Kata

Anonymous No. 141975

Does anyone train and compete in any of the judo katas? Looking for advice and helpful resources, particularly for katame no kata

Anonymous No. 141976

>>141975
Judo kata are an interesting and very neglected part of the art. There are some descent books on the subject but ultimately you need to be taught by someone who knows them, the higher level the better.

Anonymous No. 141978

>>141976
I would be interested in any book recommendations. My partner and I have attended a couple of seminars, as well as having an international competitor as a senpai at our club. I'm just looking for something that will take our kata to the next level. The Kodokan kata textbook and video only provide so much detail.

Anonymous No. 141982

>>141975
Honestly, nage-no-kata is the only one most people ever do.

Anonymous No. 141988

>>141982
Iā€™ve done judo for almost a decade, Iā€™m testing for my shodan this year. Until this year I couldā€™ve counted on my fingers the number of times Iā€™ve actually done kata in class and of those times itā€™s always been nage no kata.

Anonymous No. 142005

>>141982
I have an international level ju no kata competitor in my club, as well as two kime no kata national champions. It might be that my club is somewhat unique here. My partner and I have chosen katame no kata as something new, after spending the past year training nage no kata together.

Anonymous No. 143043

>>141975
The Kodokan Youtube channel has a demonstration of the katas. https://youtu.be/TXmWKs4A1dk

>>141982
It's the only one you need to know for shodan here, so.

Anonymous No. 143254

i personally dont see the use of kata in the modern day other than to preserve some of the more niche and obscure techniques. sure theyre useful back then when all martial arts are taught by hand, but with the internet and with thousands of footage of the best competitor's techniques + the best people making instructionals, i think kata dont really have a role anymore.

Anonymous No. 146061

>>143254
>i personally dont see the use of kata in the modern day other than to preserve some of the more niche and obscure techniques
And you're right because that was the main reason kano kept them.
He understood them as a library of old jujutsu, a library where future judokas could check them and maybe bring them back.

Anonymous No. 146249

>>143254
Because you preserve body motions by training body memory, not visual memory through photo and video? Both photography and video were available in Kano's time, there were martial arts documentaries and such in his own time, but those aren't necessarily the best way to transmit body knowledge.