Image not available

218x415

Stickman.png

🧵 I need advice regarding martial arts

Anonymous No. 144886

I'm 20 years old, 173 cm (5′ 8), and weigh around 50 kg (110 pounds). As you can imagine I'm skinny and I have long limbs (pic related).
Long story short I wanna learn a martial art, BJJ is superior in my opinion but I'm thinking of kickboxing.
The issue is should I even sign up or should I try to gain weight and muscle first by going to the gym? Do I work on both simultaneously?
If I go to a kickboxing class will I get BTFO to a point where I have to train with people younger than me?
How do I know that a martial arts gym is good and not just out for my money without benefiting me?

Anonymous No. 144900

>>144886
There's no point in bulking up before training MA
>Long story short I wanna learn a martial art, BJJ is superior in my opinion but I'm thinking of kickboxing.
nonsense, it's completely different and complementary
>will I get BTFO to a point where I have to train with people younger than me?
You're a beginner, there should be no hard or even moderate intensity sparring anytime soon
Even in light sparring the higher level guys should just target your blatant mistakes while allowing you to work but the exact same would happen in a BJJ gym. There may be some high school dudes training with adults but I don't see the problem, you're 20 basically a kid yourself
>How do I know that a martial arts gym is good and not just out for my money without benefiting me?
That's a much harder problem to solve, check reviews on internet and a few videos on the subject. I didn't watch it but I think Gabriel Varga released a video on that subject recently

Anonymous No. 144928

>>144900
Fantastic post. Adding to this, most gyms should offer a free trial and if there isn’t one on the website you should be able to ask the owner or coach and they’ll just let you have a free session or two.
If they don’t have a free trial, go somewhere else.
But yeah don’t bother trying to get in great shape before you do martial arts, you’ll get fitter faster if your method of exercise is something you enjoy.

Anonymous No. 144940

>>144886
Don’t waste time “getting in shape first”, people who say they need to get in shape before training martial arts never end up training martial arts and usually drop out of lifting too. Join the club, they’ll help condition you. When you feel comfortable with the level of physical rigor the classes require you can start adding a fitness routine on top. Also your going to get btfo when you start. Getting btfo a bunch of times is the first step to learning how to btfo others
> How do I know that a martial arts gym is good and not just out for my money without benefiting me
Only way to know for sure is to go there and try, who around. As a general rule avoid places that don’t spar, that require contracts, or are associated with other schools as a chain.

Anonymous No. 144941

>>144940
>who around
*shop around. Try other gyms and stick with the one you like.

Anonymous No. 144944

>>144900
>there should be no hard or even moderate intensity sparring anytime soon

WRROOOOOOONGGGGG

Anonymous No. 144952

>>144944
>just give the noobs brain damage before they know how to defend themselves
Good thinking, retard

Anonymous No. 144953

>>144952
That's right.

Anonymous No. 144970

>>144952
You can't start learning to defend yourself if you aren't being attacked. The very first session in anyone's martial arts training ought to be getting beaten up by the instructor, he can go easy on you, but it is vital that both him and you are aware of your combat capability before any sensible training plan can be made.

Anonymous No. 144974

>>144970
>he can go easy on you
That’s why anon specified no moderate or hard sparring you retard. He didn’t say you couldn’t go light.
>hurr durr you have to get beat up
The only time this is true is if you walk in with an ego. There’s no need be anyones punching bag if you’re not full of yourself and beating some shy guys ass is not useful for his development as a fighter

Anonymous No. 144978

>>144900
>>144928
Thanks a lot, really appreciate it.
>>144940
Thanks. Yeah I guess that's true, maybe it's me coping to delay it because I'm nervous about it since I've never been physical in that way.
Can you elaborate on the contracts point?

Anonymous No. 144981

>>144978
Not him but contracts like year-long memberships means the gym wants to squeeze money out of you. Proper gyms are like "yeah just pay your fee and you're good" no contracts.

Anonymous No. 144987

>>144886
BJJ isn't superior in anyway your regular stand up martial art that spars, they lack stand up game so if anything either a kickboxing sport or Judo you want to focus on.

Anonymous No. 144990

>>144978
If you've never been physically fit, start from doing 2 minutes of planks, push ups, squats and pull up daily just so you won't feel like its torture during class if they make you do those.

Anonymous No. 144995

>>144886
>Long story short I wanna learn a martial art, BJJ is superior in my opinion but I'm thinking of kickboxing.
It's a sport. Neither of them are practical outside of the ruleset if that's what you're talking about. The only thing that comes close to that kind of applicability is MMA.
>The issue is should I even sign up or should I try to gain weight and muscle first by going to the gym? Do I work on both simultaneously?
The only thing that matters is your conditioning for the specific sport you're interested in. You'll get everything you need from the classes.
>If I go to a kickboxing class will I get BTFO to a point where I have to train with people younger than me?
Yes.
>How do I know that a martial arts gym is good and not just out for my money without benefiting me?
Look at the achievements of the people training in the gym. If you don't know or they don't have anything, you can still get a lot out of it as long as they let you spar early and often. Even if the coaches are bad you can still figure out everything you need through constant sparring.

Anonymous No. 144996

>>144990
>daily
You can’t exercise the same muscle groups every day

Anonymous No. 144997

>>144996
For 2 minutes like the ones I listed you can, its literally one set you can recover easily from that as a beginner. Just get in one day rest per week, that's all you need for those low effort exercises.

Anonymous No. 145001

>>144997
>just get in one day of rest a week
Fine agreed then. I think if you’re going to go that route you ought to add in a different set and alternate days though. Also OP should still just join a club as soon as possible.

Anonymous No. 145005

>>144981
I see. Yeah that's pretty common here.
>>144995
>The only thing that comes close to that kind of applicability is MMA.
I know, unfortunately where I reside every gym that "teaches MMA" is only saying that because they wanna attract teens who watch UFC and think they can be fighters, I've visited such gyms and they're total bs. So I've decided to choose a specific art and focus on it.
>>144990
I signed up for gyms a few times and I got in numbers that aren't bad for my size, never fully committed though. I recently had surgery which really weakened me so I'm on these exercises for starters again.

Anonymous No. 145045

>>144886
>BJJ is superior in my opinion but I'm thinking of kickboxing.
In which regard do you opine BJJ is superior? They're completely different sports training complimentary but completely different skills.
>The issue is should I even sign up or should I try to gain weight and muscle first by going to the gym? Do I work on both simultaneously?
Do both simultaneously. You're still young enough that you should adapt to a higher training volume faster. Ask your fighting coach for guidance on scheduling and programming around mat time.
>If I go to a kickboxing class will I get BTFO to a point where I have to train with people younger than me?
This one's going to depend on the gym demography. Regardless, if it's a halfway decent place they're not going to want to hurt you and skilled fighters will adapt to your level and BTFO you just enough for you to learn something.
Look at the competition record, look at how injured people are, and look at how in-shape people are. Not everyone competes, some people are just injury prone, and just because someone got fat in old age doesn't mean they don't know how to coach, so none of these are absolute but are just big points to consider. Another good marker is payment structure. There are good gyms that require yearly contracts, but places I've seen that offer month-to-month payment are almost universally honest in their intent.

Anonymous No. 148778

Ok

Anonymous No. 148783

>>144886
You don't have long limbs, you're a fucking manlet.

Anonymous No. 148938

>>148783
hes talking about in proportion to himself, u idiot

Anonymous No. 148968

>>148783
Mcgregor is a manlet with long limbs