Image not available

792x617

Catch-Wrestling-.png

๐Ÿงต Catch-Wrestling

Anonymous No. 147357

What are some the core components to doing catch-wrestling and how can I teach myself it through substitution with other martial arts?

Anonymous No. 147374

Basically the core principle is don't actually use any kind of finesse to apply submissions properly, just crank them as hard as you can with as much horse power as you can muster from 0-100 instantly even against your training partners

Theres a good reason it died out

Anonymous No. 147469

>>147374
You've obviously never seen Catch in your life.

Catch is BJJ but where the floor is lava and pulling guard is the greatest sin. So basically a practical version of BJJ.

Anonymous No. 147488

>>147357
Be white trash, out of shape, and scared to compete in submission grappling tournaments.
Just train at a good no-gi BJJ school anon. Idk why this board is filled with autists avoiding typical MMA-adjacent martial arts

Anonymous No. 147491

>>147469
I saw the world "championships" between 2 obese bald guys pushing 50 in a boxing ring set up in what appeared to be a high school basketball court
The belt that was proudly shown off before hand looked like they bought it on etsy's for $50

Guess it's not too hard to become a world champion when only 5 people in the world are doing the sport

Anonymous No. 147515

Catch is dead. It died about 20 years ago and the last gen of catch wrestlers switched to BJJ. Just do no gi BJJ.

Actually there might be a school in Tokyo still. I think Shooto is still around but the top grappling coach there is Yuki Nakai who literally founded the Japanese Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (lol) Federation.

Just do BJJ. Stop being a nerd.

Anonymous No. 147563

>>147488
>>147515
not OP, but there's a gym a one and a half hour train ride away from where i live that teaches a mix of catch and bjj. the uniform is your typical no-gi uniform. i think they compete in different grappling rulesets/formats, including no-gi bjj tournaments. so it's pretty much generic submission wrestling/grappling, which is fine by me bc idc what the origins are of a technique as long as it works. the idea of training in an obscure live martial art mixed in w/ a much more popular one in the same vein is just really appealing to me.

going off what i just told you, do you think the prospect of training in it once or twice a week might be worth the trip?

Anonymous No. 147574

>>147563
That's a hell of a commute just to train. I'd say if there's a gi BJJ place closer by then I would pick that just for QOL. If it allows you to train more than twice a week, which desu is not frequently enough to get better than "ok,' then it's a no-brainer.

I made a similar trip to train Judo several years ago and while I don't regret it, it didn't end up being sustainable. I switched to a BJJ place that wasn't so far away and had more fun.

Anonymous No. 147581

>>147563
I agree with >>147574
I train at a very high level no gi gym, the only catch wrestling stuff used is used a meme/joke or to be a dick. The only really effective things are jiu jitsu or wrestling/judo based

Anonymous No. 147628

fat meme

Anonymous No. 147673

Catch would be better for mma than bjj if anyone in it had the conditioning that any other style of wrestling has. But for pure grappling, too many things rely on setups that either aren't legal, or don't work very well without mixing in strikes.

Anonymous No. 147802

>>147374
>properly
I actually find Catch to be more meticulous about explaining holds and things in such a way as to respect both your opponent/sparring partner's potential abilities as well as their overall safety.

>>147469
Pulling guard is present in Catch as well but it is relegated to being used in situations where it is needed. I find it odd that someone would want it to be the "gimmick" at the center of their grappling style.

Image not available

1600x2397

Polish_20230523_2....jpg

Anonymous No. 147808

All about catch wrestling

Anonymous No. 147874

>>147808
There are millions of people who do BJJ and there are millions of dollars in it. The talent pool will obviously be far greater than the less than a thousand people who still do catch, it says nothing about the style.

Anonymous No. 147882

>>147808
>first defense in 100 years
So how'd he win the title before that?

Anonymous No. 148281

>>147874
>>147882
yeah that article is pure sensationalism. as long as it confirms the reader's beliefs they'll eat it up, as is the case w/ the bjj fanboy who posted it.

Anonymous No. 149167

>>147357
Just learn freestyle wrestling, and add bjj that's basically what catch is anyway. Early wrestling didnt have an effective list of submissions anyway, it was mostly pull on something until it hurts or brakes. Bjj now is so insanely more advanced with submissions and freestyle wrestling came directly from catch.

Anonymous No. 149168

>>147469
>>147802
That's because it's modern day, people took many subs and holds from japanese spreading jujutsu and phenomenom of bjj