Image not available

735x500

6.jpg

๐Ÿงต My hypothesis about why are giants bad at MMA and kickboxing

Anonymous No. 149875

>they are slow
Think about how fast are flyweights compared to super heavyweights. Of course this reason alone isn't enough to say bigger is better but it's enough to say 2x bigger isn't 2x better. The bigger guy's advantage will be a bit smaller than it may seem.
>they train weird kinds of wrestling
Sumo, pro wrestling and ssireum instead of folkstyle, freestyle and greco
>some of them are obesse ass
Fat doesn't give you strenght but can effectively slow you down.
>small talent pool
Probably the most important issue. Have you ever met a >265 lbs guy who would be able to run more than 100 yards? I don't think so because they are extremely rare. For every world class ~240 lbs fighter there are probably 200 total tomato cans, 100 decent amateur fighters, 50 pro journeymen and 5 gatekeepers. If there is like 20 >290 lbs fighters in the world, statistically non them is a really talented one but people (especially Japs) like to watch giants so they will promote guys who have no talent and should never be professional fighters as if they were gatekeepers.

Anonymous No. 149880

There's also the bias of simple existence. Big guys don't have to move nearly as much as everyone else in their daily life, so nothing ever gets developed properly. Feeding them is much more expensive, so they don't usually get what would be required to move a lot even if they had to. Acquiring the equipment designed for them is often twice as expensive, sometimes more so if you're talking about any weight machines that they'd use for injury rehab or specific ROM work. And the talent pool you mentioned is only half of what you said, it's also regularly fighting dudes your height that can do what you can.

Anonymous No. 149881

>>149880
*the ability to regularly fight/spar dudes your size.

Anonymous No. 149888

If you're both a giant and athletic enough to play professional sports there are way more lucrative options than mma

Anonymous No. 149965

>>149888
This.
>American football linebackers, Sumo wrestlers, Basketball players.
Also, I think stuff like MMA generally draws more interest in smaller, lighter people. I know at my local gym, while there are the occasional 6 foot, 200lb dudes, a lot more twinks and lankets join up or come along then big dudes. Might just be that your big Samoan whopper that's 6'6 tall and 4'6 wide, just never develops the interest or desire to learn to fight better, unlike the small Chinese kid living with perpetual small dog syndrome.

Anonymous No. 149976

>>149875
>My hypothesis about why are giants bad at MMA and kickboxing
Ever heard of Semmy Schilt? Jon Jones?

Anonymous No. 149985

>>149976
By saying giants, I meant heavier than UFC heavyweights so Jones doesn't count. He's not even exceptionally tall compared to other heavyweights.

Anonymous No. 150005

It seems to me more a matter of proportion to the population and injuries.

The average height in my country is 1.75m, in the gyms I trained out of 50 people, a maximum of 3 had my approximate height (1.80 - 1.90m), more than 2m was a rarity, so with who will these giants train effectively?

Another important issue is injuries, because they are heavier and have longer limbs, the knee and elbow joints suffer more.

Anonymous No. 150034

>>149875
If Hafthor or Brian Shaw trained mma they would probably do really well. I think cardio is really what stops giants from fighting tho. Even HW fatfucks need to be able last 15 minutes at least and I guess cardio doesn't scale with lung volume.
I remember Eddie Hall training for his boxing match and getting gassed after hitting pads for 2 minutes. I almost believed he was sandbagging for the camera but it turned out that he actually just had 0 cardio lmao

Anonymous No. 150036

>>150034
"I'm sure to win because my speed is superior"
But to a point thats kind of true
If you can just evade and take pot shots at his knees until he wears down that's how you win

Anonymous No. 150041

>>150034
They wouldn't. Pudzianowzki is far more athletic than either of them. He's been training for quite awhile. Go check out what happened to him over the weekend, and watch his fights in general.

Anonymous No. 150050

>>150041
I've seen the guy. I named Hafthor and Shaw because they're both like 6'7" and 400lbs of muscle. Shaw and a few others even rolled with Gordon Ryan and he said they'd be beasts if they trained bjj even tho he subbed them all in a couple minutes so he was probably being nice.