Image not available

512x512

shooto.png

🧵 Can I learn basic grappling through videos?

Anonymous No. 151178

Call me retard all you want but there is 0 chance of join a grappling gym right now (I was in a BJJ gym before changing of city, I'm less than a white belt anyways).
I train kickboxing from a long time but I genuinely want to learn grappling.

Anonymous No. 151179

>>151178
No and you are a retard. At least with striking you can bang on a bag a bit. You cannot learn to grapple without another person to grapple with.

Anonymous No. 151180

You can learn principles of positioning and hand fighting, you can't learn submissions unless you already know submissions and have an idea of how they're supposed to feel

Anonymous No. 151183

Watching things without understanding > Sitting around wondering about it without understanding

You probably won't be actually learning much, but instructionals aren't the fucking necronomicon. You're not gonna summon the demons of bad technique by watching them wrong. It's certainly not the optimal way to learn, but at the very worst you'll have a strong vocabulary upgrade whenever you do make it back to partner training.

Anonymous No. 151186

>>151179
I can train with someone.

Anonymous No. 151197

>>151183
>You're not gonna summon the demons of bad technique by watching them wrong
I mean there's a lot of bad channels out there, zombie proof and submissions 101 are great examples of this. Watching those channels will actively make you a worse grappler

Anonymous No. 151203

>>151197
Worse than he already is by having zero knowledge? Not unless they're teaching chi blast jitsu.

Anonymous No. 151205

>>151178
>Call me retard all you want
Retard.

Isnt possible to learn jits on your own.

Anonymous No. 151206

>>151203
He isn't learning anything. He could literally do cartwheels and say he's fighting and it is equivalent. Jokes on jokes on jokes on jokes on jokes on jokes on jokes on jokes on jokes on jokes on jokes on jokes on jokes on jokes on jokes

Anonymous No. 151208

>>151203
yeah, if you learn wrong the first time you'll have to undo that before learning right

reminds me of this hillbilly from kentucky, chuck
he was a truck driver counting money from a job and he came up short by hundreds of dollars collecting from customers one day because he would count to $60 and then start back at $1 on the next stack
he got counting money confused with counting time

learning right the first time is important

Anonymous No. 151226

>>151197
I watch Budo international, Sakuraba instructionals among other things.

Anonymous No. 151231

>>151178
You’re a retard but if you want to learn BJJ, I’d recommend something like Lachlan Giles SubMeta to beginners. You need another person, you can’t do it on your own, but you can go through the techniques on there.

The main problem is that I’m assuming you’re training with someone around your own skill level, so they won’t be able to exploit any openings you give if you’re doing a technique right, which can lead to you thinking you’re doing it right because the beginner tells you they can’t resist it. You’ll get the basic gist of techniques, but any of the small details will be very hard for you to learn, as well as if you’re constantly doing something wrong (think of a tell in kickboxing) you don’t have someone knowledgeable watching you who can tell you.

Anonymous No. 151310

>>151178
Crazy to think that there was a whole generation of American grapplers who's only way to start training was via VHS instructionals back in the 90s. That's how Heath Pedigo started training, among others.

Of course, I think that a lot of those old school guys watching videos had some important assets:
They had at least one training buddy.
They had at least some in-person instruction (go to a seminar, drop in on a class, etc).
They had some grappling background (high school wrestling, dabbled in judo, karate curriculum had basic submissions, etc).
And most importantly, BJJ/submission grappling was brand new (in the US) and not widely known as it is today, so if they figured out even the simplest thing it was mind-blowing.

If you've got at least some of those assets, OP, sure give it a shot. Or get an instructional on solo drilling. You won't learn to fight, but you might improve your mobility at least.

Anonymous No. 151773

>>151178
Yes, just get a partner. Don’t listen to any of these imbeciles. I’d recommend buying an instructional or two on the fundamentals, or be a chad and use mma-torrents. Danaher’s Go Further Faster Series is pretty good for the gi and for no-gi, use New Wave

Anonymous No. 154582

>>151178
Shooto is cool