Image not available

320x240

5f8NZS.gif

🗑️ 🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 152325

Why don't self-defense gurus tell people to attack for the throat more? Like instead of silly shit like palm strikes and eye gouging and biting, why not just focus every single one of your strikes at the throat. Imagine just practicing throat strikes and chokes, why don't they tell people that?

Anonymous No. 152339

pretty sure they do

Anonymous No. 152343

>>152325
“Self defense” gurus do because they’re snake oil charlatans. Actually fighters don’t Because it’s a small target, easily protected through head placement, and is farther away and less effective than hitting the chin. Why attack their trachea when you can turn their brain off?

Image not available

2048x1365

26zDEFENSE-superJ....jpg

Anonymous No. 152354

>>152343
>you can turn their brain off
You can't if you look like an average self defence practitioner

Anonymous No. 152355

>>152343
Throat strikes are pretty easy.

t. AmaSumo wrestler

Anonymous No. 152364

>>152355
Sumo wrestlers aren’t train to deal with effective strikes, only slaps. It’s not surprising to me that it’s easy for you hit them in places that can be protected by simple head placement

Anonymous No. 152379

>>152364
Shut up retard. I got hit in the throat 3 times during my first tourney

Anonymous No. 152382

>>152379
Then tuck your chin, dumbass.

Anonymous No. 152436

>>152343
>>152364
>>152379
>>152382
strike at the sides of the neck.

Anonymous No. 152441

unironically because it's actually too lethal and too difficult to practice.

punching someone upside the head a few times doesn't guarantee them collapsing to the ground, so that's we have point scoring type fighting based on techniques and how many blows are delivered.

strikes to the neck and throat are different, it's the vulnerable bridge connecting from the rest of the body to the head. it takes as little as 30 lbs. to close the human trachea and about 70 lbs. to cause a total collapse.

when you knock someone out, it's not because you're ruffling the brain a bit and they magically fall to the ground from discombobulation. you are causing an involuntarily stopping of oxygenated blood to the brain, forcing your brain and body to enter a conservative, comatose state for it's own survival.

when you uppercut someone and it lands, the hand snaps back so violently that either of the carotid arteries are quickly shut, causing the blood pressure to decrease and the body to perform correctly. similar goes with the trachea, if you stop the flow of air, the natural response for the human body is to relieve the problem and restore airflow to the body and brain.

you can't effectively teach throat punching and artery shutting strikes and techniques because they are too dangerous and nobody will want to spar with the guy who literally just 'goes for the throat.'

you can only keep doing your respective striking art while developing a style based around aiming solely for the neck and throat though.

Anonymous No. 152442

>>152441
>the hand snaps back
the head*

Anonymous No. 152450

>>152436
Keep your hands up when static and shoulder up when throwing punches, dumbass

Anonymous No. 152451

>>152441
>2deadly4u
This board is even worse than /asp/ was.

Anonymous No. 152452

>>152450
now just remember to do all of that and hopefully the guy who spent 5+ years just striking for the neck and throat doesn't slip past you

Anonymous No. 152453

>>152451
how are you going to argue that punching someone directly in the throat with 300 to 400 lbs. of force isn't going to kill them?

Anonymous No. 152454

>>152452
>now just remember to do all of that
This is literally just basic boxing technique. Do you not know how to keep your chin protected? That same shit protects your neck.
>hopefully the guy who spent 5+ years just striking for the neck and throat doesn't slip past you
lol, lmao. Maybe he’ll get me with a tiger claw too.
>>152451
I’m going to argue that you’re not going to pull that shit off the first time you try it. 2deadly fags ALWAYS lose to combat sport athletes.

Anonymous No. 152458

>>152454
again, how are you going to argue that punching someone directly in the throat with 300 to 400 lbs. of force isn't going to kill them?

Image not available

1300x956

C4C96E9E-6E90-49C....jpg

Anonymous No. 152459

>>152458
Because it happens in MMA sometimes and while it made the news when a guy got knocked out by a throat punch people don’t just insta-die from it.

Maybe if you spent more time training instead of theory crafting you’d get less hyperfocused on shit like this.

Anonymous No. 152462

>>152459
I spend my time equally theorizing and training. You spend all of your time on here.

If you punched a man, directly into the throat with all of your power and weight, you would effectively incapacitate or kill them.

I'm not talking about a minor glancing blow that was aimed for the chin or the cheek or the temple that just spun into their neck, I mean a well-aimed throat shot with at least 350 lb. of force.

Image not available

567x442

9D20F973-1F56-4C1....jpg

Anonymous No. 152463

>>152462
>If you punched a man, directly into the throat with all of your power and weight
>if
K, you won’t though. Tell me how you’d totally gouge someone’s eyes out and stomp on their balls next.

Anonymous No. 152464

>>152463
What do you train?

Anonymous No. 152465

>>152464
Judo primarily. I’ve done kickboxing on and off for awhile as well, though I’m not as good at it.

Anonymous No. 152467

Guys! It's not valid because muh Thai fighters don't use it even though they wear boxing gloves so they can't!

Anonymous No. 152468

>>152465
Have you ever prioritized striking?

Anonymous No. 152469

>>152467
it’s low percentage and prevented by keeping your chin down. Aikido style wrist locks are heckin cute and “valid” too but anybody who focuses on that shit for fighting is retarded.

Anonymous No. 152470

>>152469
aikido wrist locks aren't the same as punching someone in the throat

Anonymous No. 152471

>>152468
What do you mean? Trained it consistently outside of grappling? Trained it more often than grappling at a given time? Used it in a fight? The answer is yes to all three but I don’t understand what you’re asking. I should be clear, I’m not as good of a striker than I am a grappler and I’ve trained stroking less, but I’ve been doing martial arts for almost ten years now. I’m not a newfag to any of this.

Anonymous No. 152472

>>152470
It might as well be.if it works it’ll end the fight. It probably wont though because they’re hard to catch and you’re better off not prioritizing techniques like that.

Anonymous No. 152475

>>152471
I'm just asking if you've ever focused on just striking-based fighting like Thai boxing or kickboxing. I've done 8 years of Thai boxing and recently transitioned into Judo as well for the last 2 years. Big philosophy I have for things like these, is to focus all of my intensity onto one or two moves, techniques or other tactics.

If you spent every session, 2 to 3 hours each session doing some form of Randori or sparring, just drilling the same technique over and over again. You would master it, simple law. If you did nothing but Osoto-otoshi day in and day out for 9 months, throw in some other strength and power training in your off time, you would eventually perfect the technique so well that it would just become a waiting game for when you can step in and pounce when uke opens himself up. Because it will happen, they have to move and do something and that's what you practiced for. That opening to deliver all of your intensity and spearhead your reap.

Same principles for striking, you practice the same uppercut and hook over and over. You would perform so well in it, you wouldn't need anything else. You may play around with some other things like putting in more elbows instead of hooks, but the principle stays the same. Perform one thing with all intensity and you'll master it.

If you did nothing but aim for the neck and throat, and did that for months upon months and years upon years, you would become so excellent at throat strikes that it wouldn't matter if your opponent was all turtleneck and tight. You just wait for your opening, timing, waiting to snap with all of your weight and power.

tl;dr if you train one thing with all your might, you'll never need anything else

Anonymous No. 152476

>>152475
Here’s the point I think you’re missing, there’s going to be way more opportunities that present themselves that will be easier to land on the nose or the chin that will likely result in a knockout as opposed to obsessively trying to “master” a throat punch which is going to require someone who’s willing to let you punch them in the trachea until you get it down. It’s bizzarre to prioritize that sort of targeting when you’re just likely to land a strike in the chin that will incapacitate someone and will be presented more opportunities to do so.

I’m not saying it can’t be done, what I’m arguing is that you probably won’t (because nobody’s going to let you practice this as much as you would need to to git gud at it) and even if you did, why bother when there are other equally effective and higher percentage techniques available?

For the record, if you’re not lying, and have actually consistently trained Muay Thai for 8 years, you’d probably beat my ass in a strict kickboxing match. Even so, I wouldn’t let you hit me in The God damn trachea because I’m not retarded.

Anonymous No. 152477

>>152476
I didn't train for trachea striking, I just focus more on the neck. Because you're right, punching someone in the trachea is hard, but punching someone in neck has nearly the same effective (if not more debilitating).

When it comes to practicing, I don't try to kill my partner, I used to glance blows a bit lower on the head near the trunk of the neck. I didn't tell them what I was doing or else it wouldn't be organic, they would know what I would be doing and be actively avoiding it. Sometimes they figured it out a few minutes and tucked up, but it didn't matter because I didn't worry about what they were doing, wouldn't help me.

The trachea thing comes from a lengthy history of my fixation of upper cutting. It was the go-to move for me for a really long time and still is, it's just the shut-off switch for a lot of things. Everyone is thinking about teeping or throwing combos, I was just thinking landing something that would stop them, and that was the right armie upper cut. Literally spent 5 years just doing 90% upper cuts and 10% hooking.

Don't mean to ramble, but I'm bored.

Anyways, I eventually realized that if I just aimed for the neck and throat area more than the temple, brow, chin area, my ability to stammer and stop my partner/opponent increased 10-fold. So I went off of my upper cuts and into just neck and throat striking.

Anyways, the point still stands. If you focus all of your intent on one effective and general thing, you'll master it and soon become exceptional at whatever it is that you're practicing at.

Anonymous No. 152478

I'm going to bed shortly, be back around same time tomorrow.

Anonymous No. 152479

I've had my thyroid cartilage broken before, that didn't just end the fight, it kept me out of commission for weeks
I felt the moisture running down the inside of my throat and then I felt the swelling and thought, wow am I going to die? will I be able to even breathe in a minute?
fortunately it stayed open enough to breathe
but I lost the ability to even swallow and it took over a year to get back properly where I would need to consciously focus on doing it and choke if I drank at normal speed

attacks to the throat are finish blows, don't use them lightly. its worse than just knocking someone out

Anonymous No. 152481

>>152479
And plenty of people that get knocked out die from bouncing their heads off the concrete. I’m sorry that happened to you but as a matter of function I don’t see much of a difference in KOing someone versus busting their trachea if my goal is to do lasting damage. Ultimately if someone’s unconscious you can do whatever you want to them.
>>152478
I really don’t think there’s much more to discuss. I don’t think it’s worth the time getting gud at throat strikes specifically as opposed to more traditional striking targets, anecdotally you say you’ve done better with throat shots. That seems to be the end of what there is to say.

Anonymous No. 152510

>>152354
>me in the yellow pullover

Anonymous No. 152534

>>152354
>Integrity
I'm fucking crying

Anonymous No. 152538

>>152534
My favourite part is always the fuckhuge karate trophies on display in these types of places

Image not available

190x288

joe swanson.png

Anonymous No. 154626

>>152463
Bloodedge is too dangerous

Anonymous No. 154846

>>152441
You are so wrong it's actually funny.

Anonymous No. 154932

>>154846
No he's not.

Image not available

460x613

508BCE4D-5B5B-44A....jpg

Anonymous No. 154935

>>152325
It’s a small target, difficult to hit, further away, mostly covered by the chin if they’re tucking their chin properly, and most of the time you’d be better served by just hitting them on that chin.

Plus, what the fuck are you gonna do when picrel shows up?

Anonymous No. 154940

>>154935
Sides of neck and temples.

Image not available

971x565

311AB9B7-8284-43E....jpg

Anonymous No. 154942

>>154935
>that pic
Lmao