Image not available

509x508

aeroclub-albatros....png

๐Ÿงต Speed Flying

Anonymous No. 153910

I just learned that you can do paragliding without a motor
Of course you cant rise upwards but you can glide down a hill/mountain

To get to my question : Can I just buy a chute on the internet and get on going ?

There's a pretty big hill close to me and I think it would be a great place to run off from
Not trying to get crazy fast just geting 15-20 seconds of air time would be fun enough

Do you need special wind conditions to do this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPrYquiNyic&t=304s

I'm thinking of something like in the video but the hill is a bit bigger

It's a popular spot for rc planes and there's a strip for glider and motor glider planes nearby

Anonymous No. 153982

>>153910
>Of course you cant rise upwards but you can glide down a hill/mountain
You absolutely can rise up my dude.
https://youtu.be/ZpywEbgmoNw

Anonymous No. 153988

>>153910
>paragliding without a motor
>paragliding
>gliding

Anonymous No. 154159

>>153910
>Do you need special wind conditions to do this ?

Yeah.
This is called "slope soaring"
You can't buy a chute on the internet and just go do the thing, you need a variety of specialized skills and equipment and a totally ideal location+conditions or you'll get badly hurt really really fast.

Anonymous No. 155834

Ok

Image not available

768x1024

3325953213_75651d....jpg

Anonymous No. 157664

>>153910
just for clarification speed flying is similar to paragliding only the wing is smaller and more agile, but has a worse glide ratio, this means that it's very hard to gain altitude, people usually just descent down mountains when speedflying https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhUD5y9dbaM With paragliding on the other hand, they have a much better glide ratio 10:1, and people can spend the entire day in the air if the weather is good and they have some luck.

Anonymous No. 157665

>>157664
descend*

Image not available

753x500

Gecko-170-753x500.jpg

Anonymous No. 157748

bump

Anonymous No. 158213

>>153910
>Can I just buy a chute on the internet and get on going ?

1. Find a group/club/trainer that is willing to provide you with proper training.
2. Use contacts to resource and acquire appropriate kit.
3. Enjoy the sport only after properly prepared.

2 things you never want to fuck with, 1) Gravity, 2) The ocean. Neither are forgiving and will kill you for being stupid. Always get appropriate training when dealing with both.

Anonymous No. 158223

>>153910
This seems like one of those things where if you do it without training or extensive practical knowledge then you are going to win a Darwin award very quickly.

Image not available

743x445

gvhrg89me3.jpg

Anonymous No. 158259

Personally if I ever decide to get into this sport I'd avoid paying thousands for a course and new equipment. And I've seen used paragliders for like 700$. You can learn how to fly on YT

Anonymous No. 158397

>>158259
Please do. The elimination of moron genes, like yours, does nothing but make society better.

Anonymous No. 160471

>>153910
>Can I just buy a chute on the internet...

This reminds me of when I was a young lad and I wanted to be a base jumper. It was sometime around 2002 and I was trying to see how much a parachute would cost on the internet. I found a company called Icarus canopies and startedd reading about them. I found one called the extreme VX and how its cross-braced technology would offer "higher performance." Anybody who knows anything about parachutes knows that base jumping a cross braced parachute off of a cliff would only be marginally better than jumping with nothing. I guess the moral of the story is that no, you can't just use any chute off the internet to go base jumping or speed flying for that matter either.

Anonymous No. 160846

You need formal training.

If you want to learn to paraglide go to a school and get your ippi4.

If you want to learn to speedfly, best to learn to speedride first (skiing) and get a rating and a lot of experience before you start foot launching.