Image not available

750x500

mike-tyson-speed-....jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 154639

I'm planning to join my local boxing gym. Should I bother with the class lessons or should I go for the 1 on 1 classes?

Anonymous No. 154642

1 on 1, most of those class lessons are just circuit training cardio bullshit.

Anonymous No. 154788

>>154642
if you haven't done boxing before then cardio circuit is important. Also, they teach you the basics of tecnique and footwork which is important, and if they do sparring at the end then all the better. Since OP is new, what he reaaaally has to watch out for is shitty gyms that teach hard sparring instead of light sparring.

Anonymous No. 154794

>>154788
>Since OP is new, what he reaaaally has to watch out for is shitty gyms that teach hard sparring instead of light sparring.

Absolute opposite of this.

Anonymous No. 155376

Dont do 1 on 1, bigger group is better. You never know who wants to fuck you up so 1 on 1 sets the bar wrong

Anonymous No. 155462

>>154639
>should I go for the 1 on 1 classes?
go for the classes to get general concepts down and conditioning, take it serious learn as much as you can and get in shape. Should give you opportunity to evaluate which instructor/coach you would take 1 on 1 lessons from. Getting the basics down and being conditioned you will gain more from 1 on 1 instruction. But, you will have to study on your own by watching various fighters and their particular styles to see what fits you best. Do they teach you how to properly wrap your hands, what style of wrap do they teach, what type of bags do they have and do they teach you why and how to use each one. I used to go to a boxing and kickboxing gym. First general classes were taught by a kid was good, but not a real fighter, it was mostly conditioning and genera concepts, which I needed. Then I started taking lesson from a retired state kickboxing champ, he was tough (a little punch drunk) his philosophy was be win and he was experienced in and out of the ring, he gave the best advice on street fights. Even though he was great instructor, he did not teach a lot of details because he just knew them and forgot. I watched a lot of kickboxing matches on tv and carefully watched the feet. I finally saw why I was having trouble with my kicks, adopted what I saw and my kick got better, the trainer saw right away and commented that I started opening my hips before kicking. He saw it right away but never mentioned it until I learned it on my own. You have to make sure you watch an learn from all sources.

Don't spar for real until you learn to protect yourself and read body language, getting danebramage is not helpful later on.

Anonymous No. 155473

>>154639
Where I go it’s set up as group classes but the coach does a very good job of keeping an eye on everyone and correcting their technique as they go. I’d say try the group ones and see if your coach is the same.

Anonymous No. 155480

>>154794
You don’t benefit from hard sparring unless you already have an idea of what you’re doing. Going into hard sparring immediately is just going to end with you getting hurt. The only people who need this are retards who come into the gym with an ego and need to be taken down a peg. I doubt that’s OP.

Anonymous No. 155489

boxing used to be a way for broke people to make it in life now you got rich nerds paying for privates before a single class
sport fell off