Image not available

480x240

BJJ_Tourniment_600x.jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

DOLO_16 No. 154973

I'm finally able to join my friends father's Bjj/kickboxing gym on a 30 day trial but, I don't know what GI type I should pick. I may get the judo gi because its less expensive and later train for judo to improve my wrestling. But bjj Gi provides less grip for your opponent give you an advantage against them.

Anonymous No. 154974

Congrats on finally turning 18, all down hill from here.

Anonymous No. 154977

Don't use a judo gi for bjj, you're putting yourself at such a disadvantage it's almost not even worth it
Buy a sanabul on Amazon, it'll get you by just fine

If you're going to start an activity don't skimp out on the proper equipment

Anonymous No. 154978

>>154977
I don't know, if you're brand new it's not going to matter much. I knew guys that competed and did well up to purple with a judo gi. If you're planning on dipping into judo at some point you may as well.

Anonymous No. 154979

>>154978
The wizard sleeve factor is too great
It's already hard enough as a beginner don't make it harder on yourself

I say buy the gi for the thing you're definitely doing, not the thing you might be doing
You can learn judo in a bjj gi, if it's something you decide you like then buy a judo gi later
A single weave fuji is like 60 bucks

Anonymous No. 154980

>>154973
>But bjj Gi provides less grip for your opponent give you an advantage against them.
>>154977
>Don't use a judo gi for bjj, you're putting yourself at such a disadvantage it's almost not even worth it
Aren’t bjj gis typically single weave to save on weight? Double weave judo gis are made that way specifically to make them more difficult to grip. I’m not sure why OP thinks they’re easier to grip unless there’s something different about the sleeve length. And I guess if you’re referring to weight it could be a disadvantage but I’m confused by what you mean.

Anonymous No. 154982

>>154980
Bjj gis allow for a much slimmer cut, there's not as much fabric to grab on to
Usually guys will bring 2 gis, weigh in with a single weave and compete in a double

I don't know why they make you weigh in wearing a gi if you don't have to wear that same gi on the mat

Anonymous No. 154983

>>154980
Wider sleeves, boxier torso, and a longer skirt. It's pretty much unanimous that judo gis are a disadvantage in BJJ but the extent of that disadvantage is disputed. As far as I know, no serious BJJ competitor uses a judo gi. BJJ gis are universally banned in judo because their tapered cut makes them cancerous. By contrast, no one gives a damn if you wear a judo gi to a bjj comp. It's your ass.

Anonymous No. 154985

>>154982
>Usually guys will bring 2 gis, weigh in with a single weave and compete in a double
>I don't know why they make you weigh in wearing a gi if you don't have to wear that same gi on the mat
Lmfao that’s ijf level retardation
>It's pretty much unanimous that judo gis are a disadvantage in BJJ but the extent of that disadvantage is disputed
I don’t know anything about competing in BJJ but I do know that using the right tool for the right job is always the way to go.

Image not available

4032x3024

20230706_013247.jpg

Anonymous No. 154987

>>154985
Here is a bjj gi on top of a judo gi for comparison

DOLO_16 No. 155027

>>154974
You should build something to look forward to in your life

Anonymous No. 155070

>>154973
Buy 2 BJJ gis, rather than one.
You use one of them per week while the other is in the laundry.
It is frowned upon to not wash your gi at least once per week

Anonymous No. 155075

>>155070
Nani the fuck??
Please for the love of God, wash your gi immediately after every class. First thing when you get home, chuck it directly in the wash.

Anonymous No. 155076

>>154973
I think there was some top-level BJJ competitor who was famous for wearing a judo gi (Roger Gracie, maybe?) but he was literally the only guy who did. I think he said the wide cuffs of the wizard sleeves made it easier to snag Ezekiel chokes.

Myself, I think rolling in a judo gi is kino, but that's just because I'm a sentimental idiot with a nostalgia boner for anything old-school. The conventional wisdom aligns with the other anons: get the correct gear for the thing you're doing. If you do something else in the future, cross that bridge when you come to it. Deal with what's real, not what might happen maybe, someday.

Anonymous No. 155094

>>154973
For competition, you want a BJJ cut. But a Fuji single weave judogi will get the job done for years if you just want something durable for training.