Image not available

458x700

8BF88DA7-2C59-417....jpg

🧵 Which martial art should I choose?

Anonymous No. 155888

I did taekwondo for a long time. I competed and stuff, but honestly I was pretty average. Never really got above the state/regional level.

I’m interested in
>Judo
>BJJ
>Kickboxing
Where do these three rank in terms of culture, pricing, fun, culture, and availability?
Should I switch to grappling or stick with striking? Should I go with the high impact/injury option (kickboxing), the low impact option (bjj), or the middle road (judo)?
Which sport has the best amateur scene for competition?

I do not care at all about “muh street fights” or “MMA effectiveness”.

Anonymous No. 155903

Take some classes and pick whatever you think is fun.
I started doing Judo again a few months ago and joined a lesson BJJ this week.
BJJ and Judo aren't completely comparable in my experience with BJJ being more acrobatic and ground focused.
Judo is the more traditional of the two but you can always pick one and crosstrain when you feel confident.
Just keep in mind that BJJ uses a different ruleset.

Anonymous No. 156027

i started off wrestling and boxing, did boxing for a few months and got bored cause it was just circuit style and really repetitive. tried bjj out at the same gym. been doing wrestling and bjj for 3+ years now. give them all a go if you have the chance.

Anonymous No. 156029

>>155888
Just do MMA they probably got kickboxing and BJJ classes and you can just learn judo during BJJ

Anonymous No. 156031

>>155888
BJJ has the most accessible comp scene. There should be local tournaments happening frequently. Kickboxing you'd have to be pretty seriously into it to get into competition even as a hobbyist/amateur. Judo doesn't have much presence in the US.

As for injuries for a hobbyist grappling is probably more injury prone than striking. While there's much less risk of head trauma and concussion compared to striking, ligament and joint injuries can occur pretty easily

Anonymous No. 156032

>>155888
If you've TKD you'd probably make a better transition to kickboxing. You'd have to learn boxing and unlearn quite a bit of TKD tendencies but being able to stretch your legs and kick high is already a good advantage for a beginner. If you get good at it you might be able to incorporate flashy TKD stuffs in your game later on

Anonymous No. 156841

>>155903
>>156027
I guess my best course of action would be to just try them all first. I'm interested in picking up a second one to cross train, but not until I'm at least 1-1.5 years into the first one.

>>156031
>BJJ has the most accessible comp scene. There should be local tournaments happening frequently. Kickboxing you'd have to be pretty seriously into it to get into competition even as a hobbyist/amateur. Judo doesn't have much presence in the US.
That's pretty unfortunate.

>As for injuries for a hobbyist grappling is probably more injury prone than striking. While there's much less risk of head trauma and concussion compared to striking, ligament and joint injuries can occur pretty easily
Interesting. I've always thought it would be the other way around.