Image not available

896x1346

1689235802231.jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 155998

Actual MA to help me protect myself as 5'7 male. ESPECIALLY against taller people. No meme Martial Arts pls and thank you.

Anonymous No. 156008

>>155998
All of them. Any of them.
You are literally average height give or take a half inch.
Your height isn't unusual enough to effect what martial art you should do.
Mass is way more important anyway.

Anonymous No. 156040

why are you hanging around in a place that has minorities? getting in to fights is a choice

Anonymous No. 156041

>>155998
Gun-fu-do

Image not available

287x480

Tommy_Burns_1912.jpg

Anonymous No. 156070

>>155998
Basically what >>156008 said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Burns_(Canadian_boxer)
5'7'' is a bit short, but not by that much. Tommy Burns was a 5'7'' guy and he became the world heavyweight boxing champion back in 1906. Granted he was the shortest heavyweight champion in history and I doubt you could do that in boxing nowadays, but it's still cool.

Anonymous No. 156094

>>155998
boxing

Anonymous No. 156097

Just knowing how to throw good hooks gives you a massive advantage against untrained people regardless of size/strenght, but it does fuck-all against trained people who are bigger and stronger.
Basically just learn whatever the fuck as long as it's not aikido or some chinese thing.

Image not available

881x780

IMG_9055.png

Anonymous No. 156106

>>156097
This. Even if you’re average height for a dude or a little shorter, being physically fit and trained in a legit martial art makes you a god compared to most normies (unless they are like 6’5 and jacked). But yeah unfortunately if 2 people have the same level of training, size will most likely be the deciding factor.

Anonymous No. 156107

>>156106
I'm so sick of seeing Adesanya and Volk hanging out with Zuck

Anonymous No. 156116

>>155998
The best martial art is the one (you) are actually exited and enthusiastic to train in. It doesn't matter how "combat effective" a martial art is if you quit after 6 months.
That said, in my opinion the following martial arts are the best for self defense. Keep in mind that all of them are fine options. Taking into account availability, soundness of technique, quality control, etc.:

>MMA
Should be fairly obvious why it's good. Most places in the US have an MMA gym. You will need to filter through the bad gyms, but that goes for anything.

>Boxing
This shit just werks. It's not as popular as it once was, but still fairly popular. It's very well proven in street fights. Just don't go to some cardio boxing gym.

>Judo
The premier self defense option after boxing, in my opinion. Only issue is quality control. Judo in the USA kinda sucks.

>Kickboxing
Including Savate, Muay Thai, etc. Again, well proven. You trade some focus for range.

>BJJ
Sound art, but too much focus on groundwork. Way better QC than Judo.

>Karate (Kyokushin)
Great martial art, but can be difficult to find a good school.

Anyways, training literally any martial art will put you above the average normie. Hell, just don't be obese and you auto win against most people. There are good martial arts that aren't on this (honestly played out) list. Again, just train whatever piques your interest.

As far as the self defense aspect goes, I've been training my entire life and I have never once been in a street fight or anything like that. More than anything else, mindset is what protects you:
>Always have an escape route
>Keep your head on a swivel
>De-escalate, run, avoid. Don't hang around in bad parts of town. Don't go looking for a fight and you won't find one.
>Only fight if you have literally no other option
Also, hit the gym and get a CCW. Doing martial arts won't deter people from fighting you, but getting fucking jacked will. A gun will protect you if there is no other option.

Anonymous No. 156188

>>155998
Peek a boo style boxing a la Tyson (he was usually the shorter opponent and his style makes use of that)
Muay Thai
Wing chun if you can make it work
Wrestling
Basically any martial art that specializes in close range as opposed to long range
So karate and TKD would probably be a bad choice cuz they rely on longer ranges
Except maybe kyokushin cuz they fight in the pocket a lot

Anonymous No. 156193

>>156116
lol imagine telling people to run
what you gonna do when jamal and deshawn outrun you with their tawny black hindlegs and jump your ass
deescalate sure but niggers don’t understand reason

Anonymous No. 156286

>>156193
Run faster bitch. You have a head start and you can’t win? What, do you think black pipo are all Usain Bolt or something? Do some cardio for once fatass.
Why the hell are you getting into a fight with Jamal and Deshawn anyways? I live in East Cleveland and I’ve never, ever felt the need to go pick a fight with someone.

It’s always untrained dipshits saying stuff like this.

Anonymous No. 156356

>>156193
>>156286
controversial opinion incoming:
people (or at least fit males) should be able to run AND fight decently well, no need to exclude one or the other
what if an avalanche is coming towards you? cant fight that shit, u gotta run
what if you get cornered in an alleyway somehow, and theres nowhere to run? gotta fight i guess
my reasoning is specious but you get my point

Anonymous No. 156397

>>155998
Boxing will teach you how to throw punches, combos, timing, and distance management.

BJJ will teach you take downs, ground fighting and submissions.

If you can only do one, go with the boxing.

Anonymous No. 156398

>>156116
I would rather see wrestling on this list than kyoku

Anonymous No. 156407

>>156398
It sucks that theres nowhere to learn wrestling as an adult in America
MMA gyms that ive gone to just have separate bjj and muay thai classes and they barely seem to teach any actual MMA or wrestling either
Unironically going to a nogi class and hoping you can roll with a wrestler who is willing to teach some things is sadly the best bet if you didnt already learn wrestling in high school

Anonymous No. 156443

>>156397
Wrestling would be high on my list if it weren’t for this >>156407
It’s just impossible to find wrestling anywhere outside of school in the USA. It’s amazing if you can do it, though. Not to mention the wrestlers I know (washed boomers aside) are more “hardcore” in conditioning and mental strength than most martial arts practitioners.

Anonymous No. 156445

>>156443
Meant for >>156398