Image not available

475x365

EA22F242-E115-43F....jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 156004

>I’m a blackbelt in kickboxing
Where did this start and why is it spreading?

Anonymous No. 156010

>>156004
It's down to there being a lot of overlap between kickboxing and full contact karate. There are literally blackbelts in kickboxing, even if their blackbelts aren't for kickboxing.

Anonymous No. 157485

>>156004
Gabriel Varga’s coach for his amateur career, Stan Peteric, has a belt system for his kickboxing. He has had a very large impact on Canadian kickboxing, there are many gyms under his lineage, so it’s not uncommon in Canada for kickboxing gyms to have belts

Anonymous No. 157492

>>157485
Varga himself has said there isn't really a belt system for kickboxing, not that I needed his stamp of approval
Belts in striking sports (not martial arts) are a meme

Anonymous No. 157493

>>157492
Belt systems in general are a meme and were only created because Jigoro Kano realized giving kids tiny rewards kept them motivated

Anonymous No. 157503

>>156004
Modern kickboxing is a karate offshoot.

>>157493
I think the white-brown-black system that Kano used was pretty sensible. Iirc, it was the French who added all the fruit salad belts - and that stuck in a variety of martial arts.

Anonymous No. 157506

>>157493
Like it kind of makes sense in a purely kata situation where if you can do this move, you get the rank. But in combat sports if you don't win, you don't get ahead. Doesn't matter what techniques you use

Anonymous No. 157512

>>157503
That is not correct, though you’re making me second guess myself. If I recall correctly in the original system the only distinction in belt colors was between white and black, albeit the 6 kyu ranks still existed, you were just a white belt until you were a black belt, and even then a black belt Was considered a rank denoting experience, but not mastery. The word shodan does not mean first degree, that would be ichi-dan. Shodan simply means beginning dan. As in, you are beginning your journey to mastery.
>>157506
There’s something to be said about people who may not necessarily be great fighters but have a lot of knowledge that makes them a good coach. However, I don’t think you can ever be a good coach if you’ve never gained the wisdom that comes from competion and both defeating and being defeated by other fighters, even if you’re not necessarily number 1.

Anonymous No. 157524

>>156004
Ranks are helpful for determining how good someone is at a sport at a glance, students also find it rewarding and as the phrase "black belt" is in popular culture meant to mean that you have mastered that particular thing people will often be more inclined to keep working at the task if the black belt is dangled in front of them. This obviously is far from foolproof, in certain competitive sports its not uncommon for a crazy good lower belt to beat a blackbelt, but its good enough.

Anonymous No. 157537

Forget this cheap philosophy, the point is that the belts are paid in cash, in kickboxing it is an imitation of karate, the value goes up according to the graduation. What teacher wouldn't want extra money? And which student will not graduate and be frowned upon by the teacher?

Anonymous No. 157542

>>157512
You are correct. Kano's OG system was only black and white. You would start white and earn a progression of stripes until your belt was black.

Anonymous No. 157560

>>157537
>paying for belt tests
lol, lmao even