Image not available

1200x673

Oleinik.jpg

๐Ÿงต The Ezekiel choke

Anonymous No. 156255

As a guy who has only trained taekwondo but recently became insterest in jiu-jitsu I need to ask why isn't this choke more popular if you can do it from many top positions and even from the bottom?

Anonymous No. 156257

Threading hands that are wrapped and gloved is awkward as shit. Once they're in, you can use them as support points to add leverage to your choke, but getting them there in the first place is dodgy. And the more time you spend wriggling around before its in, the more potential damage/counter/position change you're opening yourself to.

Anonymous No. 156294

doing it from top position leaves you really vulnerable to getting rolled over
it's kind of a shit test to determine if someone sucks or not, it's like doing a super taunt in street fighter

Anonymous No. 156977

You will learn why it sucks in no time but enjoy doing it in other white belts

Anonymous No. 157002

>>156255
I heard that a nogi Ezekiel from side control is open to a wristlock counter

Anonymous No. 157006

The Ezekiel from bottom mount is a freak accident sub. That's like sinking a basket across the court with your back turned. Possible, but by no means reliable.

Top Ezekiel is just a bit dodgy. I don't know the mechanics on why it's just kind of low percentage. Tends to only work on low skill or very fatigued opponents.

Anonymous No. 157165

>>156255
it's my main submission, the only weakness it has in grappling is that it's easy to counter when someone manages to wedge their own fist against yours as a lever against it.
Now why it isn't used more often is simple: You need a good understanding of how to set up the bite with sode guruma and how to apply the shearing forces with power - this requires upper body strength. If you are a twig the most this will amount to is mild discomfort and he will manage to wiggle his chin out some way and is out. If you are strong with big forearms even if you fuckup the alignment of the bite you can break his neck by sheer pressure and trying to get out of the choke when your forearms are big is nigh impossible. Some for kimuras.
As most modern grapplers nowadays are skinny vulgar rashguard clad bjj sissies that look down on strenght training, the ashi sankaku/leg triangle is easier for them to pull off and thus more prevalent.