Image not available

3000x2000

IMG_1734.jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 157075

I’m thinking about stopping sparring because I’m terrified of brain damage, but I know how important sparring is. What’s the healthiest/best way to go about this?

Anonymous No. 157087

>>157075
You’re not at a high risk of brain damage if you only spar light. The best thing you can do especially if you’re older and experienced is to be selective about who you spar with. I know one guy in particular at my gym who’s all fucked up from multiple injuries and only spears with me and a couple others because he knows we have enough control not to worsen any of his injuries.

Anonymous No. 157094

>>157087
Remember, in sparring, strikes should be little more than love taps. Only enough force to reach near max speed but there should be zero follow through. Don't put up with shit partners and you should be fine.

Anonymous No. 157127

there is no way to avoid damage if you are getting hits to the head, even light ones. its about the repetition. if you dont want cte, stop any sparring, its simple. once it starts, you cant reverse it, only manage it via medication.

Anonymous No. 157133

>>157075
You are right to be concerned
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190912100941.htm#:~:text=The%20team%20found%20that%2C%20one,these%20effects%20returned%20to%20baseline.
>assessed the motor control and cognitive function of 20 boxers and Muay Thai (Thai boxing) athletes before and after a nine-minute sparring session (three rounds of three minutes).
>The team found that, one hour after sparring, the participants showed impaired brain-to-muscle communications and decreased memory performance, relative to controls. After 24 hours, these effects returned to baseline.
Any injurious activity repeated long enough will lead to chronic conditions. This is anatomical fact. There is no safe amount of rattling your brain, period. You do not need to spar to learn martial arts.
https://bloodyelbow.com/2022/12/20/study-finds-age-knockouts-number-fights-cte-risk-factors-combat-sports-mma-boxing/
>The study found that seventy-two of those involved (41 percent) had TES. Further, the analysis found that those who started participating in combat sports at a younger age were more likely to be categorized as TES positive.
>TES positive athletes had to have had substantial exposure to repeated head injuries (RHI)
>The cutoff for RHI was 10 or more professional fights.
Training, done right, should never cause lasting damage. That is counterintuitive to the very purposes of martial arts, however, the efficacy of sparring cannot be denied. So if you do choose to forgo it, then you had better be pushing yourself crazy hard in every other aspect of training to compensate.

Anonymous No. 157134

>>157075
Switch to a grappling art. Getting choked out is bad for you, but not as bad as rattling your brain.

Anonymous No. 157135

Has there been any conclusion on the thought that weight cutting significantly effects your chances/severity? I've read a bunch of reasonable speculation but nothing hard.

Anonymous No. 157141

>>157134
Well, ideally you would tap before that.
>Trading being a retard for being a cripple.
As martial artists, we all have some tough choices to make.

Anonymous No. 159306

That is the exact reason I chose grappling

Anonymous No. 159332

>>157075
>What’s the healthiest/best way to go about this?
Light sparing.
You can still make really good progress even with exclusive light sparing.

Hit the pads hard and your training pardners with controlled taps and only pardner up with people who do the same.
Another perk is it allows you to spar with people no matter how uneven the gap in physicality is without anyone getting hurt, yet all involved can still get something out of it.
So big weight diffrence is fine, guys and girls is fine, even adults and kids or young guy and old dudes can spar together having a good time while getting something productive from it.

Hard sparing is highly overrated unless you are preparing for full contact competition, preferably that you are getting payed decently to do.

Anonymous No. 159345

>>157075
Crosstrain bjj (sparring with no strikes) and mcdojo karate (no sparring)

Anonymous No. 159390

>>159345
Kyokushin sparring may also be ok because there is no punches to the face

Anonymous No. 159397

>>159390
There's some credible evidence that any hard striking action can contribute because of the head snap you can get, but I'd bet it's still significantly less with the head not being a direct source.

Anonymous No. 159504

>>157075
If you're learning martial arts for self defense, don't. Get a gun.
If you're into it for competition, just know that realistically it's not a great career choice for 99% of people.

Anonymous No. 159555

Sparring is the most fun part of boxing, But when i notice a significant decline in my cognitive functions then i'll stop. I'm not trying to go pro or anything i just like the adrenaline of fighting.

Anonymous No. 159631

>>159504
>Self-defense
>just get a gun
Even gun nuts aren't this retarded so why are you?

Anonymous No. 159633

>>157075
Can't learn how to fight without taking a few hits