Image not available

1600x1795

Polish_20230728_1....jpg

๐Ÿงต The 12-6 elbow, mohawk and Chael Sonnen

Anonymous No. 158815

1/2
There is a controversy about whether or not should 12-6 elbow be legal. Chael Sonnen said why, in his opinion, it shouldn't https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye79NA2cLn8

He says that you mustn't hit the part of the skull called mohawk and points his fingers on the top and back of his head. But are strikes to the top of the head actually banned? I tried to find info about it and I found this quote
>The Committee has found a compromise between the Mohawk definition and the headphones definition. The Committee recommends a nape of the neck definition.

>Basically, the group concluded that a strike that touches the ear is generally acceptable. Strikes are not permissible in the nape of the neck area up until the top of the ears. Above the ears, permissible strikes do not include the Mohawk area from the top of the ears up until the crown of the head. The crown of the head is found where the head begins to curve.

>In other words, strikes behind the crown of the head and above the ears are not permissible within the Mohawk area. Strikes below the top of the ear are not permissible within the nape of the neck area.

Picrel is how do I understand this quote (assuming that strikes to carotid artery are legal because I didn't find any info about them being illegal). Most of the upper head, including the part struck by Jon Jones when he got dq'd is a legal zone. But this is a different understanding than what Chael says which puts me in an uncomfortable situation where I'm arguing with a pro mma fighter about how does mma work.

Then he says that strikes to the "mohawk" are banned "for good scientific reason; soft spot and some other stuff" but is soft spot on the top of the head really a thing? I know babies have it but adults? If you headbutt someone's nose, chin or even forehead with the top of your head he'll get hurt rather than you.

Anonymous No. 158816

>>158815
2/2
He also says that there was many, maybe 100, documented times when somebody died from flying 12-6 elbow to the top of the head in muay thai. This sounds weird because muay thai is mostly popular in a 3rd world country and I doubt if they're able to document 100 of muay thai deaths for whatever reason. I managed to find 5 muay thai deaths from 2017 to now. 2 from weight cutting, 2 from punches, 1 from spinning elbow, none from 12-6 elbow. This made me doubt if there was so many documented 12-6 elbow deaths in muay thai but if you have any info about these deaths, I'll gladly see them.

He also said that face of a grounded opponent would be the most common target for 12-6 elbow if it was legal and that it might cause eye damge. That's probably true but other elbow strikes also can damage your eyes, sometimes even a punch can do it.

There is this https://combatsportslaw.com/2023/05/30/data-shows-12-6-elbows-no-more-dangerous-than-other-legal-strikes/ study that shows 12-6 elbows aren't more dangerous for the skin or brain than other strikes but it doesn't say anything about eyes, probably because it's impact on eyes would be hard to measure safely. We can only check if there were any documented cases of eye damage due to 12-6.

What do you think about all of this?
>is my understanding of which parts of the head are legal targets correct?
>are strikes to the top of the head any more dangerous than to other parts of the head and is "soft spot" really a thing?
>do you know any cases of 12-6 elbow death in muay thai or data that shows it kills disproportionally many people compared to other muay thai strikes?
>do you know any cases of permanent eye damage due to 12-6 elbows?
And last but not least
>do you think 12-6 elbow should be legal?