Image not available

2200x800

1690067026033578.jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 159200

What's the point in learning extensive grappling if you can just practice takedown defense and striking?

Anonymous No. 159201

>>159200
I like throwing people. I started training judo because I wanted to throw people around like snake in mgs3

Anonymous No. 159881

>>159200
They say that in 1vs1 a grappler always wins against a striker

Anonymous No. 159888

Because its fun

Anonymous No. 159892

>>159200
What's the point in learning extensive striking if you can just practice striking defense and grappling?

Anonymous No. 159902

>>159200
what’s the point in learning striking if you can just learn takedown offense and grappling?

Anonymous No. 160036

>>159200
whats the point of recruiting heavy infantry when I could just use archers on top of a castle wall

Anonymous No. 160039

>>159200
you could but IRL there isnt a ref who stands you up.
Additionally, to have the best grappling defense you need to understand how good grappling offense works, usually that means decent grappling offense. What you see in the UFC is that everyone are at least decent grapplers and strikers both; Much better grapplers and striker than any normie going to a muay thai or bjj gym; in large part because of athleticism.Take the most unbalanced UFC fighter I can think of. Alex pereira, lets say. I'm willing to bet that the average bjj bluebelt in his weight class wont be able to take him down and submit him in a sub only grappling match. In a wrestling match he'll put up a decent fight against the avg purple belt in his weight.

Another reason to grapple that is interesting is that for some wierd reason, standup grapplers like wrestlers and judoka have make up great strikers just because of KO power. Probably because of their constant back muscle training which contributes to punching power.

Anonymous No. 160048

>>159200
How are you going to learn takedown defense outside of a grappling class? Are people who don't know anything about takedowns going to teach you how to defend takedowns?

My God, the lengths you people will go to in order to avoid training.

Anonymous No. 160092

>>159200
First, takedown defence classes aren't a thing. You learn it in wrestling classes. Second, you should know what to do if your takedown defence doesn't work. Third, how do you know you're better at srtiking than grappling if you've never tried the latter? Fourth, why are strikers so retarded?

Anonymous No. 160093

>>159200
What's the point in eating bread if you can just eat cake?

Anonymous No. 160096

Most "defense" involves countering for top or otherwise optimal position on a throw or upend that's already in motion.

Anonymous No. 160129

>>159200
because striking sucks and relying on takedown defense is proven to be bad.
Practice striking if you want to practice something for fun though, but striking as a whole is in the same camp as kung fu/tai chi. Fun and good for lots of things but not for actually fighting.