Image not available

1499x1280

Gokyo-no-waza.jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 161036

What's the point of learning dozens of takedowns if double leg, single leg and one or two takedowns from clinch are sufficient in 99% of time?

Anonymous No. 161041

>>161036
To take down other people who only know double leg, single leg and one or two takedowns from clinch.

Anonymous No. 161043

as someone with the most superficial knowledge of judo a person could have, bjj guys are terrified of standing with me
every time I'm with a new person you hear YO WATCH OUT FOR HIS JUDO! from off to the side
I know maybe 12 throws all together and somehow I'm a glowing god in bjj stand up. Because I know what they're going to do, and they have no idea what I'm going to do

Anonymous No. 161044

>>161043
>I know maybe 12 throws all together
that's how it is anyway. no one in judo is good at every throw. you should pick your best 4 or 5 to cover all situations and work on them constantly.

Anonymous No. 161045

>>161036
Why bother studying any martial art if 3 techniques are sufficient most of the time?

The premise is true only if you’re talking about beating up randoms in the street. If you’re fighting other actual fighters you’re going to need to know a full curriculum of techniques because even if you don’t use them you need to be familiar with them if they’re used on you.

Anonymous No. 161047

>>161044
>you should pick your best 4 or 5 to cover all situations and work on them constantly
>you should pick
I’m going to nitpick this post for two reasons. For one, 4 to 5 is actually an overestimate. Most good judo players have three tokui waza tops. That said, every player at the high levels is familiar with almost every other technique so that they are able to defend against people using other techniques AND, in a one off situation, being able to use those techniques when they are ideal, but one of their Tokui waza is not. I also want to nitpick this because it is not a good idea to tell new people to only focus on a small number of techniques. New people need to explore the full curriculum and let their Tokui waza come to them. I’ll tell you this from experience. I always wanted to be a tai otoshi player since I started judo because I thought tai otoshi was the tightest shit. However, I am not good at tai otoshi. Even ten years later while I can explain all the elements necessary to do a good tai otoshi I struggle to apply these principles in practice. To my own, and my instructors, surprise though, I am very good at harai makikomi goshi, especially at the start of a match when people fight hard to get a right hand lapel grip. There is no scenario where I would’ve just picked this technique out of a hat and decided “yep that’s going to be my throw.” I simply learned it by learning the curriculum and through sparring discovered this was an advantageous technique for me.

In short, while you are correct that high level grapplers only use a small number of techniques, I don’t think it is good advice to tell people to just pick a few at random and ONLY focus on those. The only time you should be doing that kind of training is right before a competition.

Anonymous No. 161078

You know, apathy isn't a good trait to have.

But, I see your reasoning. Personally, leg shooting is too much of a gamble, they're like the haymakers of the grappling world.

Knowing a good leg sweep backwards like osoto gari, a good forward throw like kubi nage and a good reversal throw from a rear choke like seoi nage or that one funny move Bas Rutten does here: https://youtu.be/bxTLE7O_Ac8?t=1647

Anonymous No. 164145

>>161036
To not get fucked if you roll the 1%