Image not available

259x194

main-qimg-fb854c9....jpg

๐Ÿงต Can you do judo if you have scoliosis?

Anonymous No. 161646

Anonymous No. 161648

Judon't

Anonymous No. 161662

>>161648
Nah but seriously, is it a bad idea to do judo if you have scoliosis?

Anonymous No. 161671

Yeah, I would first dry to fix that scoloi though through deadhangs and heavy barbell lifting like deadlifts or squats and pressing.

Anonymous No. 161676

>>161646
How severe is it? Keeping strong helps keep your scoliosis from getting worse so it might be worth checking into it. My brother has had scoliosis since childhood and he's a firefighter who carries a lot of heavy equipment.

Anonymous No. 161684

>>161646
It would be extremely painful

Anonymous No. 161688

>>161676
It would be between minor and mild, nothing too crazy but it worries me that judo could worsen it

Anonymous No. 161707

>>161688
How would judo worsen it? Are you already doing strength training to keep it in check?

Anonymous No. 161723

>>161707
I do a mix between bodyweight exercises and weightlifting, I especially try to strenghten my core and back due to it but I haven't started doing judo again because since you're lifting people most of the time it could press the spine and worsen it in the long run perhaps

I need to look more into it, I used to do judo when I was 12 but the doctor told me to stop because I was still growing but I'm in my 20's now so I guess I could do it now

Anonymous No. 162126

>>161723
I take it your doctor doesn't do judo? You're not really lifting people most of the time if you're doing it right, just kind of pulling or pushing them before tripping them with some part of your body. If you're worried about chronic injury rather than acute I would just go try it out and see how it feels; if it seems like something you can manage safely long term, keep after it. It may also be worth talking to a judo instructor about your concerns as he may tell you to approach things a certain way. I would wager, however, that a casual to moderate judo hobby is unlikely to aggravate minor to mild scoliosis in a man in his 20s who does strengthening exercises to manage his condition.

Anonymous No. 162320

Just develop a style leveraging your freakish deformed body

Anonymous No. 162345

>>161684
OP is a big guy.