Image not available

275x183

download (12).jpg

🧵 Are neck injuries common in bjj?

Anonymous No. 162302

If I don't have a strong enough neck will I get acked?

Anonymous No. 162311

>One study that surveyed 1140 BJJ athletes from 62 countries found that 8.6% of all injuries reported in the past three years were located in the neck, making it the fourth most common injury site after the knee, shoulder, and ankle . The most frequent mechanisms of neck injury were submissions (40.4%), takedowns (23.4%), and guard passing (14.9%). The majority of neck injuries were classified as mild (66%) or moderate (28.7%), while only 5.3% were severe .
>Another study that surveyed 70 BJJ athletes from Australia found that 11.4% of all injuries reported in the past year were located in the neck, making it the third most common injury site after the fingers and upper extremities . The most frequent mechanisms of neck injury were submissions (50%), takedowns (25%), and guard passing (12.5%). The majority of neck injuries were classified as minor (75%) or moderate (25%), while none were severe .
Cont.

Anonymous No. 162312

>>162311
>A third study that analyzed 180 BJJ athletes from Brazil found that 3.9% of all injuries reported in the past year were located in the neck, making it the seventh most common injury site after the shoulder, knee, elbow, hand, ankle, and foot . The most frequent mechanisms of neck injury were not reported, but the majority of neck injuries were classified as mild (66.7%) or moderate (33.3%), while none were severe >A fourth study that reviewed case reports of vascular neck injuries in BJJ and MMA found that arterial dissections, which can lead to stroke, were rare but potentially life-threatening complications of neck trauma . The study identified 13 cases of arterial dissections related to BJJ or MMA, with nine cases involving the carotid artery and four cases involving the vertebral artery. The most frequent mechanisms of arterial dissection were chokeholds (69.2%), takedowns (15.4%), and headlocks (15.4%). The majority of arterial dissections required medical intervention, such as anticoagulation therapy or surgery, and resulted in neurological deficits, such as hemiparesis, dysarthria, or Horner's syndrome .

Anonymous No. 162316

Strength is a factor, but certainly not the only one. I'd put a decent sum of money on ~50% of neck injuries being from refusing to tap but being unable to get your head free.

Anonymous No. 162318

>>162302
Injures like that pic are freak accidents, but it's fairly common for people to have neck issues/discomfort if you train a lot. It's very dependent on your training partners and how you train (i.e. do you tap early to shitty strangles, do you wrestle and get snapped down a lot, do you invert poorly)
>t. 5 years of training 3-5x per week, no serious neck injury just random tweaks every few months

Anonymous No. 162319

>>162318
>freak accidents
>>162311
>>162312
It is prohibitively difficult to tell from studies how many of the severe category injuries were that bad but it is not a freak accident. Think of it like this... Your chances of getting fucked for life are infinitely better than winning the lottery jackpot, even if you played multiple tickets for every day for the rest of your life.

Anonymous No. 162339

me bulging disc in neck after training about two years

I recommend neck hypertrophy training every day, and avoiding acrobatic movement that puts pressure on the neck or risks stacking your weight on the neck if your opponent acts in a certain way

Anonymous No. 162341

>>162302
I've never seen any acute neck injury in person. However general wear and tear is common from getting crossfaced, also you want to avoid getting stacked.

Anonymous No. 162342

Here's the fact, once you get a neck injury for the first time you're going to keep getting them
That genie never goes back in the bottle
At this point for me I need a special pillow with cervical support or I wake up with a migraine

Anonymous No. 162348

>>162319
>It is prohibitively difficult to tell from studies
>the majority of neck injuries were classified as mild (66.7%) or moderate (33.3%), while none were severe
Retard. You don't need le data to tell you that it's uncommon (aka a freak accident) to have your neck snapped on the mats. Your knees are in a lot of danger though

Anonymous No. 162356

>>162348
>one study = all studies
The first one listed it at 5% and its all Ai generated so take it with a grain of salt & accept that probabailities in real life have greater variance than studies do.

Anonymous No. 162365

Accidents happen.
I actually know and trained karate with a dude who got his neck fully broken from bjj.
Was a older guy still training with young aggressive guys and he found out the really hard way that we all have a expiration date on hard training.
Still, it's crazy that he trained boxing for decades and only had minor injuries, karate for decades and only had minor injuries, but did bjj for a year and got the worst injury of his life.
You see it here all the time of people acting like striking sports are promised brain damage and grappling is for people who are afraid of major injuries.
Literally all of my major injures from martial arts are grappling related.
The worse injuries I got from striking were repetitive stress injuries from a dumb training routine (too many kicks too often with too little rest eats up the hip flexors and causes chronic problems).

Don't get me wrong, I love both and will do both for as long as my body is able, but I hate the lying. Mainly from the bjj guys. Judo and wrestlers don't say this dumb shit and are up front about the risk of injury and near certainty of mild to moderate injury. And judo guys certainly don't pretend getting thrown around or choked is good for the brain.

All that said, to OP, its very rare but it's a risk. Hell, even chearleading and dance has a small risk of breaking your neck.
It's best to be aware of the risk and train smart with others who are also aware of the risk and also train smart. That significantly mitigates the risk.

Anonymous No. 162389

>>162319
The probability of you getting a neck injury in general is higher than winning the lottery
Many people slip and fall all the time

Anonymous No. 162471

>>162302
>Imma be a badass and do bjj
>Ack

Anonymous No. 162480

>>162389
How even more so it must be doing something like grappling.
>>162302
Compared to what? Grappling style with the highest rate of critical neck injuries is Judo.

Anonymous No. 162508

>>162480
Because judokas fail to roll when thrown and get their necks snapped

Anonymous No. 162528

>>162342
This but my tailbone and shins for me

Anonymous No. 162647

This is the guy who crippled his student and then Rener Gracie went to court and said jiu jitsu was bad? And not the shit technical incompetence on behalf of the professor? I’ve been doing this exact back take for almost 15 years to every belt color there is and not once did I hurt someone, simply because I know how do to it correctly. What an enormous faggot.

Anonymous No. 162658

>>162647
He said using that move was negligent and it's industry standard to segregate white belts from everyone else during training
Both are untrue, it was an accident, maybe even poor judgement, but there's nothing negligent about doing a move you've done a hundred times before with no problem
Plus the "white belt" wrestled in college so it's not as though he was a complete novice

Rener was trying to set legal precedent so his attendance based belt factories with no sparring until blue belt are made the standard and anyone not following that model will have insurance issues

Anonymous No. 162743

>>162508
>>162480
There is also the common practice in judo of avoiding landing on the back by using their head/neck since rules as written it doesn't count as a ippon if you land on your head.

Anonymous No. 162916

>>162302
Yeah, you are getting fucked with a rearnaked choke hold.

You can do this daily to strengthen your neck: Left-Right Up-Down, Circle L-R, Circle R-L, Right Tilt, Left Tilt, each motion 3 times.

Anonymous No. 162917

>>162743
Judoka are just trying to trying to game the system, lmao.

Anonymous No. 163090

>>162302
doing neck specific training every session makes a huge difference to your rate of injury and grappling in general
back neck bridges
front neck bridge forward and sideways rocking
front neck bridge flip and rotation
that as a minimum unlocks a lot of mobility by standing on your head

>>162743
a lot of judoka are also roiding and have incredibly strong necks that will easily absorb that shit, when there's a srs injury its usually a freak accident because most high level judoka do it regularly

Anonymous No. 163103

>>163090
>a lot of judoka are also roiding
Slander.

Anonymous No. 163126

>>163103
all athletes at the top level in all sports are sauced to the gills dumbass
if youre not roiding youre not competitive

Anonymous No. 163128

>>163126
cope

Anonymous No. 163145

>>163128
youre retarded

Anonymous No. 163148

>>163145
no u

Anonymous No. 163343

>>162302
never have problems with my neck but I know ppl that have, I injure my fingers allot

Anonymous No. 163347

>>162743
dud at a tournament lvl that sounds brutal, will defenetley try judo in the future though, I want to learn them throws