Image not available

1000x1000

blitz-magnus-grap....jpg

๐Ÿงต Ear Guards for BJJ. Yay or Nay?

Anonymous No. 163637

I'm considering joining my local BJJ club but am worried about cauliflower ear. Are ear guards generally accepted by most practitioners?

Anonymous No. 163638

You only get cauliflower ear if you pull your head out of headlocks wrongly
Most people never get it, and if it does crop up just drain it and you'll be fine
The people with big deformed gross ones did that on purpose because they think it looks cool

Anonymous No. 163646

>>163637
Yes wear ear guards. You can get cauliflower ear from a wide variety of things. A lot of the times when you want to be pressuring things with the side of your head or escaping from turtle or something where there is a lot of ear on body part contact you can end up scraping your ear a lot. This will give you sore ears, which means your ears are getting damaged. Just get the ear guard and you never have to worry about it.

Anonymous No. 163661

just drain your ears when it happens
only wear padded shit on your heda if you're worried about concussions or recently had a concussion

Anonymous No. 163665

Dont use them if you can they can be kinda annoying for your partner. Also lets be real you're doing bjj not wrestling or anythung. Most of us will deal with it fine but doesnt mean we like it when people rolling with it. Cauliflower ears seems to be genetic or something some people get them bad some grapple for years and never get them. Chances are you wont get cauliflower ears regardless. Only consider if you notice your ears start hurting

Those type of headgear sucks ass anyways

Anonymous No. 163708

>>163646
Thanks, fren.

Anonymous No. 163710

>>163665
>Most of us will deal with it fine but doesnt mean we like it when people rolling with it.

How common is it for people to wear ear guards at your gym?

Anonymous No. 163713

>>163710
There are different types of earguards, if you get earguards that have a hard shell on the outside people will hate youbut it will offer more protection, so get the earguards with a softshell on the outside. Cliff Keene has a fusion type headgear, where there is hard on the inside, giving you hardshell protection, and soft on the outside. Get that, "Cliff Keene Fusion headgear"

Anonymous No. 163757

>>163710
in all my years literally the only ones have been an indian guy who is just using it to keep his turban in place and this weird twinky bisexual kid that used to show up with a plastic grocery bag of several loose gatorades that only took classes for about 4 months

Anonymous No. 163818

>>163637
it's pretty hard to get cauli accidentally, 99% of the guys in the gym either did it to themselves or when it did happen the made sure to aggravate it

Anonymous No. 163825

>>163637
I wrestled for 12 years before joining BJJ and at this point wear them mainly out of habit. Things just feel wrong when I'm not wearing them while grappling, especially when I start standing. No one at my gym says anything about them, but at the same time the only people who wear them are people who wrestled for considerable lengths of time before doing BJJ; which is a good 1/5 of the gym at this point.

Anonymous No. 163826

>>163825
Just to add, at least in my area this has resulted in a general belief that if you wear headgear, then you used to wrestle. And people will expect a level of general grappling proficiency from you that you probably don't have.

Anonymous No. 163858

>>163818
I'm suspicious that even if you're predisposed to getting it, it's more likely during childhood. Everyone I know with it got it as a kid wrestling.

Anonymous No. 163866

>>163637
in mine its uncommon but a guy came in yesterday and no one reacted. He seemed to be pretty good but I didnt recognize him so maybe he was a wrestler previously

Anonymous No. 164112

>>163637
Yes. Fuck getting injured or deformed for no reason.