Image not available

1400x1867

IMG_20230910_152559.jpg

🧵 Downhill skiing

Anonymous No. 166074

I got these skis at a sale for $5. Older but fit great minus the back part of the binding is broken (pic related).
I looked up salomon 347 bindings with no luck of really any kind. Is there a part I could buy to fix it because it's only that back latch part that is broken. I don't really wanna buy new bindings (nor do I know where to start, I've only rented downhill maybe 1-2/yr).

Anonymous No. 166168

>>166074
You made a mistake but it has only cost you $5 so far. If you really want to use those skis buy new bindings, possibly on another used pair of skis, but frankly the only thing those skis are good for is nailing to your back fence.
You should forget about repairing a pair of 30-40 year old ski bindings.

Anonymous No. 166169

>>166168
Why can't I fix the back part of the binding? There has to be a piece that's semi compatible. Seems messy getting new bindings and drilling holes and what not

Anonymous No. 166176

>>166169
1) bindings are the most mechanically complex part of a ski. They are built to tight specifications in order to function correctly. They are not end-user serviceable past extremely basic shit like changing boot size or DIN settings.
2) those particular bindings are like, 40 years old and spare parts have not been made for the last 35 years, assuming Salomon ever produced spare parts for them in the first place.
3) any repairs you make are going to cost far more than the $5 you paid for those skis, and when you're done, they still wouldn't be worth the $5 you paid for them. Better to cut your losses and use them for growing tomatoes in your back yard.
4) Salomon bindings are kind of shitty to begin with.

Anonymous No. 166178

>>166176
No shit they cost more than $5 to repair. I want cheap skis, I'm not gonna sink more then $100 into a complete set period. Waste of money considering how little I go.

Anonymous No. 166180

>>166178
There's nothing wrong with buying used skis but buying that particular set was a mistake for the other reasons I mentioned. If you really want to ski on them, then you should get another pair of used skis with decent bindings on them and swap them out (or not, and just use the other skis). There are plenty of good used skis under $100 if you have a bit of patience that were made in the current millenium instead of during the cold war.

Anonymous No. 166313

>>166074
Sorry bro but thrift store skis really aren’t for anything other than decoration as previously stated in the thread. If you were to repair, use, and then fall with those bindings they’d lock up and blow every “cl” in your knee.
Your best bet for cheap skis is finding a local ski swap. usually every year local ski shops will have a big event where everyone comes to sell their used stuff. That’s how I always got my skis as a kid. The ski boots are also important. You’re gonna want to get fitted for something that feels right. Too big and you could be walking away from the hill with purple toenails. Too small and you won’t be able to ski for more than 30 mins.

Now that I’m a grown ass man I got the rustler 10’s and some look pivot bindings. The perfect all mountain ski. Best purchase I’ve ever made.

Anonymous No. 168766

>>166313
The used sale is probably coming up too. IIRC around beginning of the season, I even have a local store that does it. Also, yeah, agreed; I would not get "old" skis, old bindings, or ESPECIALLY old boots. Broke the shit out of some nice looking old ski boots once and regret it; they're made of so much plastic they're liable to shatter under regular use either because of all the plasticizer leaving or getting brittle much like old yellowed ABS. You never know how they were stored so being stored in a hot attic getting brittle is not out of the question. I'm a snowboarder and made the same mistake OP did but it didn't cost me much. I just wanted to dick around at home with skis to see what it was like.

Also, much like some old snowboards, old skis are stupid thick and IIRC much more rigid than modern. And heavy. I would maybe screw around on some local hills with an old snowboard and NEW bindings (plastic ages poorly) but skis seem to be a whole other beast and not where I have experience. Like you said, though, buy some (newer) used boots and (newer) used skis at a local ski shop's used sale. I never like saying "it's junk, buy a new one" but it's probably junk and OP should buy a newer used pair for not much more.