Image not available

612x413

powman.jpg

🧵 Why do they all do this

Anonymous No. 166408

>watch literally any youtube channel of skier who spends a lot of time in pow
>when they're on literally anything that isn't deep pow
>straight forward, speedcheck, straight forward, speedcheck...
>upper body flopping from side to side, not remaining vertical, skis far apart, sometimes in backseat on hardpack while attempting to carve
>youtube comments act like every guy who does this is good at skiing because they found a cool looking place to film
Do people like this just never learn to carve? Or have I not experienced a "true" backcountry/pow ski? I get that you can't carve super well on pow-oriented skis, but when I wear them I only run into the "holy shit these skis are going to kill me" problem when I absentmindedly start trying to do carving shit at speeds that only really work on FIS spec skis anyway.

Anonymous No. 166443

Example? In powder you use the rebound from flexing the ski to help the turn, it’s more like hopping than what you describe as a speed check. Lots of shitty skiing on YouTube though.
Also hockey stops in powder throw more snow and make for better photos and videos. I fucking hate social media clout chasers.

Anonymous No. 166579

>>166443
I get that, I mean they film themselves on hardpack or groomers and still do that instead of carving

Anonymous No. 167474

>>166579
Oh I read your op like an illiterate and missed the part where you explicitly stated not deep pow.
I think it’s because they put more effort into building their channel rather than improving their technical skills. It’s annoying to watch, but I think it’s not unique to skiing. I’ve seen many people running a successful business and think to myself “I am more skilled than they are in their profession.” But that is only a small part of their work. They need to build a reliable customer base, they need to balance cost with delivery, they need to do all that shit that I’ve never figured out. With regards to skiing channels, they need to entertain the masses, not impress talented skiers. They need to produce videos that are nice to look at, they need to do something interesting that makes people want to watch, they need to portray a personality that people like, and they need to do all of that consistently. If you’re the greatest skier in the world but you make boring videos, you’ll never get any traction. Off the top of my head, Marcus Caston (Return of the Turn) is the best example of a highly talented skier that also produces quality content.

Anonymous No. 167496

>>166408
Slashing powder on your tails with rockered reverse camber powder skis is fun. Taking pictures of it is gay.

Anonymous No. 167526

>>167474
A level-headed assessment about professional self-promoters that doesn't just devolve into name-calling on 4chan. This place has changed