4080x3072

PXL_20221101_0154....jpg

šŸ§µ /MTB/ Mountain Bike General

Anonymous No. 172497

Spooky Night Ride edition:
Discuss spooky occurrences. Can be paranormal, or very normal
> riding with friend at our usual park
> it's getting late
> bring cheap amazon lights as it's our first night MTB ride and we don't yet know the value of HIGH QUALITY PREMIUM LIGHTS FROM OUTBOUND LIGHTING.
> approach jump
> see a small black humanoid figure zoom right over the top of the jump
> clear it, wait at top of the hill
> "am I going crazy or did I just see-"
> "I saw it too"
> promptly get out of there
It was probably an owl with its talons stretched out as it was about to swoop a rodent which is why it appeared to have a humanoid shaped side profile, but at the time it was scary as fuck

>FAQ on buying a bike that nobody reads anyway:
>> What good bike can I get for under $500?
>a stolen bike. Possibly a newer used entry level hardtail but don't expect it to survive rock gardens, jumps, or drops. Or an older mtb which won't be as good as newer ones and will still have a front derailleur, but it'll be good enough.
>> What good bike can I get for under $1000
>Good used hardtail, new entry level hardtail
>> What good bike can I get for under $2000?
>New Hardtail, decent used full suspension
>> What good bike can I get for under $3000?
>https://www.yt-industries.com/fr/produits/velos/capra/uncaged-10-al/602/capra-mx-uncaged-10/
>Used full suspension, decent entry level full suspension but prepared to put more money into it.
>> What are the excellent value brands?
>Marin, Commencal, Canyon, Polygon, YT, Propain, Kona, and many more. Sometimes the expensive brands have an excellent value bike
>> What are the differences between an XC, Trail, Enduro, and Downhill bikes?
>XC bikes are for going up fast, go down not as fast. Trail bikes are for going up and down. Enduro bikes are for going down fast, and slower up. Downhill bikes are for going down really fast, needs a ski lift, truck, or the rider pushing it to go up.
>Link to previous thread
>>166558

Image not available

2000x1500

1697649020313.jpg

Anonymous No. 172515

1st for rides with views

Looking out onto the Puget Sound in Washington

Image not available

2202x2994

20231018_210901.jpg

Anonymous No. 172528

>>172497
I used to ride by eod in winter which always led me to riding at dawn without lights
>climb to the top
>head back down
>fast because there's barely any light left
>winter so dawn(golden hour) is not an hour but like 10 minutes
>make out the shape in the dark of three 4 legged cryptids
>yurop so no injun tale evil demons but deer
I became good at riding without light, barely making out the shape of the feature infront of me and sending it. But I no longer chase golden hour in winter as hand is fucked due to cold

Anonymous No. 172530

>>172528
Gloves exist.

Image not available

1079x1077

Screenshot_202310....jpg

Anonymous No. 172532

1 year and UCI-discovery negroes already managed to kill EWS. DH is also niggered, 1 stage more than enduro. They should remove fucking leogang. Ass race and trail. Should've put slovenia or Les Orres instead.

Image not available

320x320

1675526140634544.gif

Anonymous No. 172581

Ok, I'm just gonna say it - Long travel hardtails universally handle like shit

Image not available

710x1024

56D519C0-B011-4BC....jpg

Anonymous No. 172583

>>172581
Youā€™re riding the wrong half of the bike

Anonymous No. 172586

>>172581
Itā€™s the wack ass stack, you gotta slam that stem, maybe even buy one of those XC stems that looks half-erect

Image not available

2000x1500

PXL_20220504_0227....jpg

Anonymous No. 172589

>>172581
It makes the steepening head angle and shortening wheelbase through compression more exaggerated, definitely
This 150mm Meta HT was fun in ways, but I don't miss much about it. Wouldn't cop a hard tail over 130mm now

Anonymous No. 172607

I think my riding enjoyment would be 5x if I was in better shape... 6 months until lifts are open again fuck

Image not available

1169x872

Pills.jpg

Anonymous No. 172611

>>172607
>I think my riding enjoyment would be 5x if I was in better shape
Most people fail to understand this.

Image not available

1079x959

Sramnegroes.jpg

Anonymous No. 172624

>>172607
I get that feel

Anonymous No. 172657

Going back to Santa Cruz this weekend. Holy fuck are those trails gnarly but I have to get more comfortable with the gnar to improve.

>>172624
I was hoping from the thumbnail that the fix was going to be replacing the brakes with Hayes, TRP, or Magura brakes.

Image not available

1920x1279

bike resized.jpg

Anonymous No. 172788

Thread Question:
What is the ideal color for a bike frame?
For me, it's green

Image not available

1079x1290

Screenshot_202310....jpg

Anonymous No. 172789

>>172788
Anything non-matte, once you sweat on it or gets a bit of dust it looks like shit. But I would not chose a black frame independently of the finish. My old bike was matte black and I used to wear black shorts, jersey, gloves, helmet, goggles, everything. Went on a group ride once and ended up with Batman as nickname. I always think twice if now with color. Propain's tyee midnight blue looks sick.

Image not available

498x224

1696909330128380.gif

Anonymous No. 172807

>>172789
>paint finish matters
I agree, matte frames tend to age poorly and look boring in the first place. Metal flake paint is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately it never looks as nice in photos though.

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20230406_0050....jpg

Anonymous No. 172814

>>172789
I went with black because the other color option was orange and I already had two other orange bikes and didn't want a third. Matte also scratches easier. The one thing I do like about black is that it makes any colors you put on it pop more, but I went with a subdued color scheme on this bike because my other bikes are already so colorful

Image not available

2592x1944

IMG_20231021_143052.jpg

Anonymous No. 172821

>>172788
O R A N G

I went with purple highlights because it's my favourite colour. Only after I started did I realise anodised purp was the in thing.

Image not available

1024x1024

1696826978745323.jpg

Anonymous No. 172822

What is the average price to convert to tubeless tire? that is tire, valve, sealant, tape and labor.

Just got a fucking flat for the first time, the trails I usually ride a full of thorns and its super common to get flats if running tubes. Had those meme slime tubes, but it didn't seal the tire, so guess who had to walk more than 2 miles back to their car....

Anonymous No. 172831

>>172822
tubless tape $20
amazon valve stems (exact same thing as the regular valve stems) $12
My tires are all tubeless compatible $0,
16oz of sealant $20
the price is around $52 for both wheels I would say

Anonymous No. 172835

Just got back from out of town. Continuing this conversation because I want to

>>172365
see >>172288
The tire is so much more durable than the tube, so just get rid of the weak link and go goopy. Besides, whoever the tube anon is, he's doing it because he's a poorfag college kid, not because its any better. Get your money up dog

Anonymous No. 172839

I decided to lube up my chain for tomorrow's ride and I noticed that my rear caliper's pistons weren't coming out evenly so I decided to clean them up and lube up the pistons. I accidentally made a piston fall out so I did a brake bleed. I had the tools out so I did the front too and that's when I realized that I wore down the front pads down to the bracket. I'm going to ride some gnarly steep shit tomorrow and if I didn't catch that, the pads definitely would have failed.
I didn't expect the resin pads to wear through so quickly, I've only put 37.5 hours on the bike since I finished it in February since I have 4 other bikes.
Anyway, if you guys have Hayes Dominion A4 brakes, be careful when squeezing the brake lever without pads or a rotor in there. Instead of coming together and getting stuck like Shimanos, they'll just fall out and then you'll have to do a very easy bleed.

>>172822
Bike shops will do it cheap but all you need is tape, the valves, sealant, a sealant injector if you don't want to make a mess(you don't actually need one, but it's good for inexperienced people) and some sort of air compressor, air can, or a special pump like the one Topeak makes to seat the bead if they're not cooperative. You don't always need the last one if you can pump fast on a floor pump and bead is friendly, such as with mtb tires, but it's better to have one and skip the headache.
It's actually really easy to do, but it's a pain the first time you do it because you're learning as you do it. Gorilla tape makes it really easy to tape up a rim, but the problem is that it's thicker and has more friction than the special tubeless tape that you often end up displacing it and needing to retape the rim when you do a tire change. Again, it's really easy to do, no special technique or insider knowledge, just watch some videos and get a lot of paper towels ready for your first time. I don't even spill a drop of sealant these days

Image not available

2592x1944

IMG_20231021_170808.jpg

Anonymous No. 172841

>>172821
She's back together and finally ready to buzz all the ebike boomers as I ride along the waterfront like a tweaker tomorrow

Image not available

2048x2730

1696894237028195.jpg

Anonymous No. 172851

Other nzfag here. I went riding today with a mate on the Marin at makara peak MTB park. Went OTB 2 corners into Ridgeline and bruised up my hip and scraped my elbow on rocks. It hurt. Did a couple more trails and stupidly told my friend "surely I can only hurt myself once today" and went OTB again 30 seconds later. Didn't hurt myself this time but twisted my brake lever up. Fuckin sucks.

Anonymous No. 172863

>>172851
Lel
Pushing each other like that is the best way to improve.
Hope you recover soon and good luck finding a spare lever

Anonymous No. 172920

>>172839
My rear brake failed today due to a lot of fluid leaking out. It didn't happen until after I cleared the descents and then rode downhill on the road back to the trailhead. I just bled the rear brake several times and lubed the pistons. It feels fine, same as it did before the ride. There were no obvious signs of where the leak occurred, but the pads were soaked so it likely wasn't the rear facing bleed bolts coming loose since I checked them after the ride and they were still tight. The hose didn't even have any fluid on it so it wasn't the failure point. The obvious culprit is the square seal, but that's not supposed to come out with the piston, it's the kind of thing you need a pick to pull out, it doesn't even come out when you blow out the piston with compressed air when servicing the whole caliper. Any thoughts on what else could have happened? The failure happened after the hard descents when I was done with the hard braking and began to let the brakes cool. I was riding the brakes the whole way down to bed them in so they were under more heat than normal.
Good or bad idea to take a heat gun to the caliper to simulate the heat under intense braking? I think the failure may only be noticeable when the brake fluid is hot when it's less viscous.

Image not available

500x500

ConcernedEmoji.jpg

Anonymous No. 172928

how bad for the rim is taking a few berms and rock rolls at around full speed on a flat rear tire before realizing that it was done and replacing the tube?

Anonymous No. 172929

>>172928
Is there visible damage?
No
Alloy rim- You're probably fine
Carbon rim- tap it with a coin and listen for any differences in sound from the front wheel.

Anonymous No. 172942

>>172920
I goofed and forgot to put the bleed blocks in, so I popped the piston out by accident. The caliper hasn't held oil under pressure since then, its basically trashed. I'm guessing we have the same issue

Anonymous No. 172949

>>172942
That's why I'm confused. The piston is designed to pop out for easy servicing, it does hold pressure, really strong pressure like it's supposed to, but it shit itself today after the hard part of a trail so I think it's only failing because of intense heat since I was purposefully riding the brakes to bed in the new pads.
I ordered a replacement caliper and I'm going to disassemble the malfunctioning one to figure out what's going on and then I'll keep it as a spare. It has to be the piston and seal and those are replaceable
I feel so cockblocked that I only got one lap in today. I spent the whole week hydrating, even almost pissed myself driving back home from work on tuesday, and I packed a shitload of supplies into my cooler so I could go hard today and have maximum energy and focus. Oh well, I'll swap out the caliper and come back next weekend.

Image not available

800x1351

lui picture.jpg

Anonymous No. 172957

>>172949
its probably not the piston thats fucked its probably the seal that you damaged during reinstallation. unless you cracked the ceramic piston.

>>172928
if it still will seat a tire and hold air then its fine.

Anonymous No. 172962

>>172835
>college kid
Yeah, thatā€™s me, Iā€™m not the tube shilling guy you quoted
I went with tubeā€™d contis just because Iā€™m familiar with tubes and didnā€™t wanna be stuck experimenting to get it sorted out.
No point in swapping over just because I popped them in a crash.

Image not available

1875x1250

yum.jpg

Anonymous No. 172987

>>172788
That bronze nicolai and geometron do. Not sure it beats raw aluminum though.

Anonymous No. 172988

>>172987
Looks like pre-kashima, gross

Anonymous No. 173019

>>172949
There's probably some internal seal that needs reseating but I have no idea how to get my hands on the tool that removes the cylinder caps (magura)
>it does hold pressure, really strong pressure like it's supposed to
So did mine. I pulled the lever as hard as I could and no oil came out, so I tested it on the mountain, and I lost all the oil in the line

Anonymous No. 173021

>>172962
Its not that difficult. Measure the inner bead of your rims and buy the appropriately sized rim tape. Take your time and place the tape nicely with no air bubbles. Then as long as your spokes aren't poking the tape, just put the tubeless valve in the hole instead of the tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0p5pE4sRJM
t. built a bike after starting mtb last year

Anonymous No. 173058

>>173021
>I started biking last year, listen to my expertise
no

Anonymous No. 173061

>>173058
>expertise
Kid I'm older than you, if you think a simple tubeless conversion requires expertise, you're in for an eye opener when you leave college and join the real world. Assuming of course you actually use your (hopefully not) meme degree.
Bike mechanics is like duplo compared to working on cars. Any retard can do it if they bother to learn, which is why they pay bike mechanics peanuts

Anonymous No. 173065

>>173061
the bike mechanics would be very offended if they could read

Anonymous No. 173096

>>173061
>Kid I'm older than you,
Doubt it.

Anonymous No. 173113

>>173061
You arenā€™t replying to the ā€˜kidā€™>>172962 (me)

That guy who said ā€˜noā€™ is the anti-tubeless guy

Anonymous No. 173129

>>173113
You two should kiss.

Anonymous No. 173131

>>173065
I agree they should be paid more, but who has the money to pay maintenance fees in an already expensive hobby?
>>173096
Then you are an idiot who needs to re-evaluate your skills and why you think anything on a bike requires expertise
>inb4 different anon
>>173113
Are they not the same person?

Anonymous No. 173136

>>173131
>who has the money to pay maintenance fees in an already expensive hobby?
I do.
But I'd rather do it myself. That way I learn. Also I'd rather make my own mistakes than deal with someone else's.

Image not available

1536x2048

canyonwarship.jpg

Anonymous No. 173147

Started my new, much higher paying job today and I was told that nobody seems to have a problem with anyone stashing their bike in their cubicle. Anyone else stash their bike in their cubicle? Any tips? Mine is decently roomy and has a lot of storage, but it doesn't seem to fit a bike very well. I am next to a wide hallway where I can lean my bike up against a wall, but I don't want anyone to walk into it or for it to be in the way of facilities workers. I've heard there is a bike room so I'm going to check that out and see if it's suitable.

Anonymous No. 173148

>>173147
Also want to add that is not my bike in the photo or my office. Some guy posted that in the Canyon facebook group to show how he stores his bike in the office on the warship he's stationed on.

Anonymous No. 173163

>>173148
Damn I was gonna make fun of you for having the latest model of wage-cage, but a gravel bike on a battleship is bretty cool

Anonymous No. 173206

>>173148
Why would you take a bike inside a ship if you are not on a carrier?

Anonymous No. 173207

>>173206
to post on social media, duh

Anonymous No. 173263

>>173206
I have no idea about the military and if this happens, but maybe he is bringing it with him to whever the boat docks.

Anonymous No. 173449

I'm going to take some vids this weekend. How do I convert them into a form that this Turkish Oil Wrestling forum will accept?

Anonymous No. 173466

>>173449
HandBrake works breddy gud for me
Idk how well you can do it for that sort of thing, youā€™re ultimately cucked by file size limit

Image not available

278x257

a.png

Anonymous No. 173469

>order PNW Loam grips in XL on sale
>they send regular with an "XL" sticker on the box
>sale is over now :)
fucking hippies

Anonymous No. 173538

>>172581
Suspension of any kind is for pussies
MTB begins and ends with vintage 3-speed Schwinn cruiser bikes on balloon tyres

Anonymous No. 173544

>>173469
>loam
>not made of any of the 3 main soil types

Anonymous No. 173546

>>173538
I barely notice my suspension, I have it so firm. It's only there so I don't break my ankles when I inevitably decide to start hucking to flat

Anonymous No. 173612

What are some good hardtail frames I should be on the lookout for on the used market?

Anonymous No. 173616

>>173612
Newer?
29 or 27.5 or 26?
Freeride? all mountain? xc?
carbon or aluminum preferred?
europe, or america?(or other)
Might help us narrow down some frames for ya

Image not available

948x661

1653877297355.png

Anonymous No. 173617

>>173612
Just get a custom frame made with whatever geometry you want from Marino. It'll likely be similar in price to what people want to sell their used frames for. Plus you can specifically get them to make it with external cable routing so you don't have to deal with all of the bullshit that comes with internal cables that plague bike frames these days.

Anonymous No. 173619

>>173616
26 is fine, I can live with any wheel size. Aluminium preferred. I live in Florida so there's no downhill or real jumps. Level mud, dirt, sand fire roads, mostly. Sorry, I should have been more clear. Let's say my budget is <$1000.

Anonymous No. 173622

>>173619
>florida
hmmm
I would lean towards an xc or all mountain hardtail then so you don't overbike too much.
Now I know mostly 2010-2018 stuff but here is a very basic list to look for
santa cruz chamelon
niner air 9
ns eccentric
shit. Aluminum hardtails are usually sold as a full bike so I am blanking, and most I remember where 29 xc. Or 26 all mountain stuff which were steel like ns surge(which I have), or chromag stuff.
Honestly I would see what frames/bikes you like the look of and post them in /bbg/ over on /n/ or here.

One friend I knew shredded on an older 29 gary fisher xc hardtail... Hardtails are really pretty simple and for your use case a super long modern hardtail would make the flats less fun so aim for an xc one with 100-140mm travel IMO.

Anonymous No. 173625

>>173622
Thanks

Anonymous No. 173628

>>173612
>frame only
Mongoose Ardor for the lulz
Be cause it was le cheap bike every other bike youtuber either was paid as an advertiser to get one or they did their own 1k builds for the funny
It can fit just about whatever wheels too if you arenā€™t running super fat tires

Image not available

220x221

1675191131940032.gif

Anonymous No. 173637

>>173619
>live in Florida
Just get a gravel bike lmao. Ride over fat mexicans for some vert experience like the dutch anon rides dykes and pothole for some offroad riding in that rainy concrete shitplace

Anonymous No. 173640

>>173637
No bikes dedicated to swampriding?

Image not available

2621x1966

PXL_20231027_2034....jpg

Anonymous No. 173642

local trails this afternoon

Anonymous No. 173654

>>173619
Donā€™t undersell our state. Still have a couple parks with good trails if youā€™re willing to drive out for a daytrip. Alafia and Santos are pretty fun
>>173640
Not possible unfortunately for ā€˜actualā€™ swamp. Some trails though you might fall off into swamp if you misjudge a turn

Anonymous No. 173656

>>173628
>>173637
>>173640
>>173642
>>173654
YSK that products which have 666 in the barcode number are made much better than the other products. Theyre healthier, and they taste much better. The packaging also contains depictions of religious symbolism. I suggest you go verify this fact for yourself, if you want to be caught up to speed on the state of our hellish existence.

Anonymous No. 173659

Good pair of tires less than $1000. Nukeproof discontinued their direct site in US. I was planning on getting their horizon V2 wheels later this year, but I'm not sure where I can find it now.

Image not available

1512x2016

PXL_20230728_2049....jpg

Anonymous No. 173660

>>173659
>Nukeproof discontinued their direct site in US
damn shame. I grabbed a pair of horizon v2's this summer and they've been great

Anonymous No. 173661

>>173659
I bought mine off chain reaction. Shipped in a few weeks from the UK I think, and they've been great.

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20231028_0100....jpg

Anonymous No. 173663

Got a pair of Kryptotals today and fugging Continental ships them in these big boxes. Looks cool but they take up a lot of space. I haven't put them on yet, the tires I have on that bike right now (Michelin Wild AM and Force AM) are better for the trails I'll be riding tomorrow. I'm looking forward to trying them on once I need more grip.
also
> start new job
> try to post in this thread from the office network
> 4chan banned the IP range for abuse
holy fug, this is one of the top medical product manufacturers and R&D corporations in the world, what the fuck were my predecessors posting?

Anonymous No. 173667

>>173663
When I go outside and try to post I am pretty much banned everywhere. Continental really went all in with their packaging, which is cool. Always liked their older tires like cross kings and mountain kings. WTB stopped making the tires I like so I bailed on them. I miss the wtb wolverine 2.2 for dry hardpack and the neat pattern.
Kenda had 26 stuff on sale so I got nevegals for 10usd a tire a bit ago off their website .They do decent on my dry and rocky terrain.

Anonymous No. 173670

>>173654
Nowhere within 200 miles of my county has an elevation higher than 20ft above sealevel, not counting buildings. I do have heaps of fire trails and forestry trails and muddy rocky shallow (<1ft deep) creeks/marshes I can ride through, though.

Anonymous No. 173695

If you were to live anywhere, solely for mountain biking, where would it be?

Image not available

1052x740

biz-16.jpg

šŸ—‘ļø Anonymous No. 173704

>>173695
>just for mtb
I'd say squamish if you can deal with how shit cucknada is to live in in general. Otherwise I'd say one of the mountainous parts of the usa that isn't niggerfornia

Image not available

1360x2419

20231028_160902.jpg

Anonymous No. 173707

>>173670
Fucking grim. Move out, unironically
>no mountains
>can't do the best sport ever concieved by human intelligence
>hurricane's wreck havock
>incredibly hot and humid
>unlivable without A/C
>crocs snatching children if they get close a puddle
>no snow
>english is a secondary language with the unintelligible puertorican/domincan spanish as the official one
You could argue that women are hot(no bc grotesque fat asses are shit) but you'll not get anything from those shallow cunts

Mountainlet's brains would fucking melt if they stood at the base of a mountain range and explode if they got the peak of one through hiking.
>>173695
I live here already. Only problem its thats its too hot in summer.

It has been raining for the whole week till yesterday. Some guys decided to rework most of the system on wednesday, thursday and friday. They left it amazing, it was damp, loamy and grip was 1000x to normal levels. Absolutely love the sound tires make on damp dirt, its unique. Relaxed too much and ate shit on some wet roots and proceeded to burn my leg with the rotor as I was straightening the handlebar

Image not available

4032x2268

20231028_150755.jpg

Anonymous No. 173708

>florida anon's head explodes and dies due to altitude sickness

Anonymous No. 173709

>>173695
pnw or vancouver. I am happy here next to the sierra nevadas in norcal, but up there it doesn't get hot which would be nice.
Worst place would be florida or any place that's humid+hot.

Utah is really cool, wouldn't want to live in the rust belt since I like steel frames.

Anonymous No. 173717

>>173708
Yall overblow the difference altitude makes
Only gonna fuck someone up if they have weak lungs/donā€™t train cardio
T. Another Floridaman
>>173709
Utah is definitely pretty cool, been up in the mountains snowboarding there

Anonymous No. 173730

>>173717
>fuck someone up if they have weak lungs/donā€™t train cardio
You gotta have really good cardio to not feel it if you are used to live at sea level. The switch from humid dense air to a less dense dry air will shit on you.
https://youtu.be/K2gtpbZqgL4?si=ni1kfHSuhxSJtZ1m
>argentine( sea level individual in La Paz at 3.5km( 11.4k ft)) dies
But here I like to stay below 2000m as thats the tree line here. I luv loam

Image not available

2040x1536

PXL_20231028_1647....jpg

Anonymous No. 173758

It was 36F when we started riding and we were not geared up for those temps. It felt like Skiing weather for the first hour

>>173670
https://youtu.be/hsujcd43-70?si=dsvYweZGXGz0c4y2
Alafia looks pretty fun

Image not available

2726x2048

169798218884929215.jpg

Anonymous No. 173770

>>173612
I'm totally biased. But get a torrent.

Fuckin sick bike, I'm looking at getting a sight frame to build up.

Sorry about my potato camera.

Anonymous No. 173834

>>173770
>potato camera
Was the lens made from petroleum jelly?

Anonymous No. 173846

>>173663
These are absolutely the most annoying MTB tires I have ever installed and I will not buy another pair no matter how good the performance is on them. The bead is very slippery and the sidewall is stiff so getting them onto the rims is some yakety sax shit because no matter how hard I tried to get the beads on, they always slipped out when I tried to wedge them in with the tire lever. At least, at the very least, when I did manage to get them mounted, the beads easily and uniformly popped into place. There was a 1 star review for them on JensonUSA that said the same thing and I thought the guy was just being a bitch, but he was absolutely right about the installation. Next time if it doesn't go on immediately, I'm just sucking up my pride and going straight to zipties.
My Michelin Wild Enduro Raceline tires have even stiffer sidewalls, but at least those are easy to mount. Say what you will about Maxxis tires, but at least they're stupid easy to mount and remove. Never had a problem with Schwalbe either.
I also ran out of rim tape while I was switching from Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M tires, to Michelin Power Gravel on one of my gravel bike wheelsets. I'm going to try out some new rim tapes and let you guys know if these are worth using.

Image not available

3264x2448

IMG_20230528_2110....jpg

Anonymous No. 173851

>>173846
Git gud.

Anonymous No. 173855

>>173851
Which casing are you on? I got the trail casing. It was like some cartoon whack-a-mole shit with the bead always slipping out. I've had some hard to work with tires but nothing like this. None of my tricks worked on it.

Image not available

2500x2500

zefal_z_tyre_lever.jpg

Anonymous No. 173862

>>173846
Personally, I've found all of the current conti casings from trail, enduro and dh to be relatively easy to mount onto multiple different rims (2.4 inch tyre on spank spike race 33 and ex511's). I have had a much better experience with them than schwalbes (2.6 inch Magic Mary gravity casing iirc) on the same rims. I end up feeling a bit like an octopus using 3 tyre levers, but its not overly difficult. I would recommend trying pic rel as they don't snap like other levers and end up bending.

Image not available

634x552

berdtr30.png

Anonymous No. 173863

>>173862
I've been using Gorilla Levers. They haven't broken on me yet, but I've also improved my technique.
If you say the Contis are easy to mount, then it has to be my rims making it harder for me. If the performance is good enough that I'm willing to try them again on another wheelset, then maybe I'll put them on one of the NOBL wheelsets I use on my other 2 mtbs.

Anonymous No. 173865

>>173855
Honestly speaking they are a bitch, but nothing to write home.
I'm on Enduro casing. These are not bad compared to my Continental der barons. I broke 3 Pedro's levers changing a tire with those. But the key to getting these on is honestly technique, as well as having 200lbs+ grip strength and isopropyl alcohol to lubricate the rim so the tire slides on easier.

I also run inserts with my tires so go figure how hard that is.

Technique+isopropyl alcohol+strong hands is how you get them on.

Anonymous No. 173869

>>173862
Schwalbes were an ass to put on, but I have the technique now. I just put a Michelin on the rear yesterday and it was relatively easy because of that
>was thinking about the right way to mount it
>mounted it the wrong direction anyway
>so installed it twice

Anonymous No. 173878

>>173865
The problem wasn't that they were too tough, it's that they just kept slipping off and wouldn't stay in place. Any time I would be on that last fifth of bead that needs the levers, I would try the tried and true technique of slowly working the bead a quarter or half inch at a time with the lever while pinching the opposite side, but there is a certain point where I would work the bead into the last sixth and then it would slip back out on the side of the lever when I would relax it to move it in, and then the bead slips out and undoes it self back to a quarter of the rim circumference.
I was being overdramatic with the "I'll never buy these again" but if they show themselves to be really good, then I'll just use zip ties or some kind of strap to keep it from falling out. Gravel and road tires are way tighter and harder to work than MTB tires, but they have never presented me with issues like this before, they tend to stay in place with that last lever pull being a hard one

Anonymous No. 173879

Really thinking of re-doing my sealant just to take a video of how easy it is to remove and install my kryptotal

Anonymous No. 173882

>>173879
please do it. I might learn a new trick for mounting tires and that other anon will see how easy it is to go tubeless

> take off michelin tires for the winter
> they take the rim tape with them
> no rim tape left in my cuck shed
> won't have the free time until friday to redo the tape on my gravel wheels
> also have to replace a rear brake caliper and replace the scratched load bearing decals on my ZEB
> probably going to rain this weekend so may not get any good riding in

Anonymous No. 173883

>>173882
Honestly I think the secret sauce is hookless carbon rims I donā€™t remember having any issues since I switched to those

Anonymous No. 173884

>>173883
They are hookless carbon rims. I imagine our rims have different depths so that's why there is a difference in difficulty mounting them

Anonymous No. 173890

>>173834
Nah it's got water in it and it condenses on the lense. My boss is in china ATM I've asked him to get me a new phone while he's there.

Image not available

3709x2967

FE056A52-B7F8-4D1....jpg

Anonymous No. 173894

>>173730
>really good
I wouldnā€™t say I have ā€˜really goodā€™ but I guess to the average person it is.
Was a good runner in high school (been a bit lazy in college so Iā€™m now ā€˜slowā€™ by comparison) but my lungs are far from my limiting factor when out on a run, when Iā€™m on my bike even less so

>>173851
>>173869
Any recommendations on replacing my chinesium?
Yeah I went with tubes for my road tires but I guess Iā€™m willing to try tubeless for the MTB tires if they really are that much better on the trail

Image not available

1079x1345

Screenshot_202310....jpg

Anonymous No. 173904

>>173894
>chinesium
If you mean rims, I'll just get ex511 or ex471. Maybe the Fr as weight difference isn't much. I really wouldn't like going to the dentist due to a slant eyed rim collapsing while bombing DH.
Tires, just get some thick sidewalls for snakebites. DH casing. See picrel for recommendation. Holes(if they happen) in tread or in the sidewalls get plugged by mucoff's pink c00m and snakebites isn't a thing you should worry about on DH tires(mishillin). Last time I went flat was in summer bc I put the paper thin DH34 bike park version. And before that, 2 years without an issue after I switched from DD casing+freeridetubes to c00m+DH casing

Anonymous No. 173908

>>172532
man Bielsko-Biala is fucking amazing location

Anonymous No. 173932

>>173894
>Any recommendations on replacing my chinesium?
Depends what you ride. Can't really go wrong with any of the well known brands. Even with good brands, I still end up using my foot as a 3rd hand to hold one tire lever while my actual hands use the other lever to pull the bead over the rim wall. The last 5 inches of bead require you to push the tire away from you to get the lever under the bead
>I guess Iā€™m willing to try tubeless for the MTB tires if they really are that much better on the trail
It is, especially if you do anything at speed beyond XC.

Anonymous No. 173952

>>173904
>>173932
yeah talking about replacing the rubber in pic rel
feel like my rims are "good enough", took the 'curbstrike' that annihilated my road tire tubes like a champ
also in Florida, so there's no serious downhills, just parks with anything that's steep is a built up berm so its 30-40ft descent max before you have to climb again

Image not available

1006x1331

Screenshot_202310....jpg

Anonymous No. 173956

>>173952
>flat
Just pump the tire to max pressure and voila. No more snakebites even on thin tires.

Anonymous No. 173964

>>173956
idk, the tears in the tubes were pretty long for a snakebite hit. I think if I was at 110psi instead of around 80 it would have ruptured. I hit a 7" curb head on because I couldn't see it - at night and all the lighting made it cast no shadow

also, I have no means of inflating them that high anyways (at least with vaguely knowing the pressure)
Need to get a smaller diameter stand pump, my current one is too wide so I'm too light to get that sort of pressure
I basically just get it to 75ish psi then with my emergency hand pump give it a bit more and test pressure by pressing down on the tires and seeing how much they deform at the ground

Anonymous No. 173970

>>173846
Just rode with them. They hang dong. Absolutely perfect for the dirt I was on today. Definitely buying another pair, fuck the install, I'll just man up and use zip ties

Image not available

568x568

cool looking tire.jpg

Anonymous No. 173985

>>173878
I just grabbed that entire last 1/5th and got it on with my hands.
>>173894 whatever is cheap and good. The specialized tires are pretty good. Anything that matches your intended use from Michelin, Continental, or maxxis. Will be pretty good. I haven't tried the Kenda.

Also I wish they made picrelateds color combo with their wild Enduro I would buy a set in a nanosecond.

Anonymous No. 173992

>>173952
Even if you're talking about the rubber, all you can do is stick to the well known brands or get a heavier casing. Like I said earlier/last thread, the tire is much sturdier than the tube. Might as well do away with the tube, because they're all the same and they all pop

Image not available

455x457

kat.jpg

Anonymous No. 174015

So now that it's Halloween, what is your spookiest experience on the trails?

For me, it was the time my front tire rolled off the bead on a 15 foot drop. Managed to ride it out though. Now I never run under 25 psi in the front.

Anonymous No. 174025

>>174015
One time me and my dad took a road stop in moab for a couple days.
We were car camping up on the mountain southeast of the town.

Took my bike to ride around the trail up there at 8000 feet, got only 1/2 a mile, heard some movement up the cliffside in front( I was climbing). Stopped, saw 2 bear cubs maybe 100ft up ahead. Rode the fastest I have in a while down that unknown trail back to the road.

Earlier in the day felt like I was being watched hiking around that area.

Anonymous No. 174026

>>173663
>try to post in this thread from the office network
Bruh, fuck you doing?

Image not available

553x700

1668112550784853.png

Anonymous No. 174070

This was in the afternoon, in spring so bushes are all thick so you can't see shit. Heard several thumps on tree trunks and bushes moving but couldn't really tell the direction. Heard it 2 more times followed by a loud sharp noise. Just frooze on the spot expecting some shit to come out and drag me. Felt really cold air on my face and just went back down the mountain. The silence after the sounds followed by the cold air blowing past me spooked me.

The other one was when I put my bike on the rack at the back of the bus(to shuttle up the mountain). Like 10 minutes inside I decided to look outside to see the bus on the reflection on a building. When I did, the bike was not on the rack. Heart immediatly sank. Spent the rest of the ride just dreading the moment I had to get down just to not see the bike telhere anymore. It was there at the end but I alway sit at the back now where I can see the bike constantly. Never relax

Anonymous No. 174086

> friend is a licensed parts dealer
> gets us parts at wholesale
> just became a certified Garmin dealer
oh boy. I can't wait to get a Fenix 7 Pro and an Edge 1040...assuming I pay a max of 60% of what they normally cost
I wonder if they'll ever put strava and trailforks search and segments on them. That would be a game changer

>>174026
I did it all the time at my previous job. I browsed /k/ and watched a lot of russians get droned. I think that if IT didn't want us on it, they'd outright block it like they do to other websites. They do block opening up media from the website so all I can see are thumbnails

Anonymous No. 174107

Kiwi anons, what are your favourite trails around Wellington? Been riding up Belmont trig and down the other side. Incredible if there aren't peds on the trail.

Anonymous No. 174110

>>174086
I'm mad af at Garmin for not challenging strava. They have segments, but they suck balls. If they would improve this made it more like stravas segments, strava would go out of business.

Anonymous No. 174142

>>173846
Just tried the i72 rim tape sold on Amazon. Easy to install and no leaks in my gravel wheels. Feels durable too.
I'll be switching the maxxis tires on my enduro bike back to michelins for the winter soon. If the maxxis tires rip the rim tape off, I'll have to use the wider i72 tape I got for mtb wheels

Image not available

1800x2400

20231102_075122.jpg

Anonymous No. 174205

night biking is spooky but not as spooky as getting blinded by mud for having no mudguard hhehe

Anonymous No. 174206

>>174205
It's amazing how a simple trail you ride all the time levels up and is harder at night, just because you can't see as well.
I used to run a helmet light and a handlebar. Both were good, but the helmet was critical since it followed your head.

This was a decade ago, so now lights are much better. I need to do night rides. Awesome when it's 100 F outside during the day, night time is comfy then.

Anonymous No. 174216

>>174025
Similar experience, except it was while is was backpacking. Came across 2 younger black bears on the trail, and managed to scare them off. I've heard they're generally more scared of you then you are of them, but holy shit those things are fast

Image not available

250x202

1612901159784.jpg

Anonymous No. 174267

Ok anons, what is the first rule of mountain biking?

Anonymous No. 174280

>>174267
The less extreme your discipline of biking, the more pompous you have to be about it

Image not available

3984x1840

IMG_20231028_132116.jpg

Anonymous No. 174282

I've an Orbea Occam H30. It's a low end double suspension bike. Is this good enough to ride bikeparks and do some drops/jumps?

Image not available

1280x720

maxresdefault.jpg

Anonymous No. 174288

>>174282
the only limitations are in your mind

Image not available

828x765

1658989881193472.jpg

Anonymous No. 174299

>>174282
You'll die.
Yeah, the only thing would be insufficient would be the brakes. If you get into slight tech like picrel thats a bit steep and long you'll be wanting to break. It'll not be powerful so you'll pull levers alot. Besides no breaking and putting alot of force, your hand/arms/fingers will get tired. Do several runs and pain from deathgripping will be unbearable. Take a shock pump with you. And put a bit more pressure on tires.

Anonymous No. 174303

>>174282
It also looks you are running exo+ infront and exo rear. Thats basically paper thin protection and non existent support Atleast consider putting DD. Too much air and handling/feeling will be shit. Lower air results in squirms and DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING on everysingle root and rock, risking the rim to crack or get fugged-ruining the day. And punctures, you'll puncture.
https://youtube.com/shorts/uCCoDXFkAko?si=TF715Otc8-06hNDu

Anonymous No. 174305

>>174303
Doubledown is dummy thicc and the latest version of EXO+ thats a few years old now is totally durable and supportive enough for park riding I think. You always want to go thinner casing when you have the capability to, it results in a gripper, lighter and more effective tire and you should only move up in casing strength when necessary.
Yeah he should have the tougher casing in the rear but thatā€™s a different story

Anonymous No. 174307

>>174305
I was even gonna tell him to put DH casing but remembered he's a trail dude. DD should be better overall than exonig/exonig+
>it results in a gripper, lighter and more effective tire
A thicker casing will always feel better on the trail, allowing you to ride lower pressure(more grip) and dampening chatter effectively. And more protection from rimstrikes and cuts/punctures
>muuh weight
Die climbing, be a man

Anonymous No. 174309

>>174307
A thick casing feels like wood when youā€™re not using it as intended; you move to thicker casing if you need more puncture resistance or extra sidewall support that isnā€™t viable with just adding psi, you move to weaker casings when you want the tire to confirm and articulate as well as possible without needing puncture protection and without needing consistency at ridiculous gforces

Image not available

657x527

1617324569099.jpg

Anonymous No. 174312

>>174267
I think the first rule of mountain biking is that you must autistically obsess about the parts that you put on your bike, especially if you don't race or hit big features.

Anonymous No. 174314

>>174267
Fucking stand up I told you a thousand times

Anonymous No. 174339

>>174107
Makara is probably my favorite park there. Otherwise jailbrake on mapuia hill in mirimar down from the prison would be my favorite single trail in wellington. Me and a group of guys are gonna go to colonial knob in porirua on Sunday if you want to come along if you are comfortable on grade 4/chill grade 5 trails we will be riding all the normal trails there plus a couple of illegals.

Image not available

498x465

1677149328104508.gif

Anonymous No. 174344

>>174314
The amount of jerrys I see just going OTB for being retarded is astronomical.
>2 ft "drop"
>seat tube at max height
>seated and cranks are left-up and right- down instead of being level
>try to roll it
>pulls front brake hard
>OTB
Or
>he has the fake and gay confidence from riding firetrails without falling
>approaches fast with the same posture
>nose goes down
>rider smashes his face
Everysingle time kek. Pink bike's friday fails is complete of these.

Anonymous No. 174359

>>174267
The most expensive bike wins, rider skill means nothing.

Anonymous No. 174400

>>174344
Tips for going OTB
>bikepack
>shorts
>bright MX jersey/kit
>bonus points for alpinestars
>age 40 minimum

Image not available

1046x752

1679864548245583.png

Anonymous No. 174438

>>172607
same...

Anonymous No. 174534

I should have known better than to have a fuckton of korean bbq last night. I had plans to ride today, but when my alarm went off at 6:30, I just knew I wasn't riding mtb today

Anonymous No. 174548

I've got an entry level stumpy and I'm thinking about upgrading the brakes on it.
Thoughts on Shimano XT M8120? Something else?
I'd like low maintenance and do trail riding.

Image not available

300x300

1693169628907124.png

Anonymous No. 174571

>>174548
Yes and put Redline Likewater in them instead of shimano oil
>t.trust me nigga

Image not available

657x527

1500229429580.jpg

Anonymous No. 174582

>>174571
interesting, just googled this.
You've done this to reduce a wandering bite point?

Anonymous No. 174587

>>174534
it was over before it even began :(

Image not available

1024x597

1686060710247712m.jpg

Anonymous No. 174598

>>174582
Yes, to great success on the rear saint(as it has a longer hose). No leaking/damage whatsoever since august.
You see, in short. WBP depends on fluid viscosity, the return speed and hose length/inner diameter. Which is why the rear brake in winter is alot worse. As temperature decreases, the fluid's viscosity increases. Shimano had to disclose to the globohomo police state of EU and viscosity is 8mm2/s at 40Ā°C and RedlineLikewater is 4mm2/s.

Anonymous No. 174600

>>174598
You know, we figured out what fluid should be used in brakes back in 1920, and then we called it ā€œbrake fluidā€ for the next century.

Anonymous No. 174664

>>174600
Quiet. Bikes need 17 different standards that are all incompatible with each other. This also includes retiring and introducing new standards every year.

Image not available

676x676

1666366829913440.jpg

Anonymous No. 174676

>raining nonstop since monday
>finally clear to be able to see the mountains
>covered in snow
>tfw all sick steep loamy singletrack trails above 1000m are under snow
its over, I gotta now wait till late april or early May to ride there again. If it weren't for yurop having really shitty hot summers I would become the main antagonist of greta thunberg's gay hippie utopia to ride year long
>>174600
>we called it ā€œbrake fluidā€
You might not like it but the best brake fluid for shimano is not a brake fluid

Image not available

3072x4080

PXL_20231105_2157....jpg

Anonymous No. 174708

>>174587
I went for a ride today and I fucked up bleeding my brakes before so I had a miserable time since I didn't trust my bike. I'll make up for it next time but now I am sure the brakes on my enduro bike are at 100%. Thinking about switching my Assegai and Dissector back to Michelin Wild Enduros soon since we're about to get some light rain. I don't know if it'll rain enough to cause mud, or hero dirt.

Spiders keep nesting inside the brake calipers of all my bikes. I wonder when I'm going to cook one or light one on fire, they usually jump out as soon as the rotor starts moving. They even nest in my motorcycle, I had a rat living inside it. Aside from my dirt jumper which I haven't ridden in over a year since my park still hasn't been rebuilt, none of my bikes sit around collecting dust.

Image not available

1920x1440

20231105_144508_HDR.jpg

Anonymous No. 174721

How was your ride this weekend anons? It was a bit frosty around these parts.

>>174708
>I fucked up bleeding my brakes before so I had a miserable time since I didn't trust my bike.
That's the worst, hopefully next time is better

Anonymous No. 174725

>>174721
The trail I was on is the hardest easy trail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx0YBRqHnlc
(mute it, loud music)
There isn't anything particularly difficult about it, I'd actually rate it as a blue, but it's all off-camber, narrow, and it's hard to gauge what's coming up. It also has a really difficult flow. So you go down something sort of steep into a narrow bridge over a deep gap, and then you have to make a sharp uphill turn right after you cross the bridge. I wanted to redeem myself on it today, but I'll have to come back another time and try it again.

Image not available

1224x1632

Compress_20231105....jpg

Anonymous No. 174726

>>174721
It was a good ride. Got my suspension back after it being serviced. For the first time in a long time I rode a trail that wasn't easy. I could ride all the downhill sections but the uphill ones were another story. Probably a new favorite trail third to kitsuma and a secret one in big ivy

Anonymous No. 174727

>>174726
Forgot to add. This trail is like lower hairball at snowshoe but if it was harder.

Image not available

1080x2400

169828506696351523.jpg

Anonymous No. 174769

>>174721

Great. Spent Saturday morning cutting grass at my local MTB park again. Honestly I don't know if kids today are entitled or just vacant as fuck. Twice I had people (kids) riding down trails that I'd blocked off with equipment at the top. Even to the point where they would move my barricades to open up the trail entrance. Absolute turkeys. So I'm gonna make a proper sign out of a stop sign (traffic sign) I found at work, that way at least it's super obvious that the trails closed.

Went on a decent ride Sunday. My Marin is still broken - I tried to bend the brake lever back and snapped it off - so I took my hardtail. It's quite hard work on chunky trails but enjoyable when it opens up and you can go a bit faster.

Also I signed up to a 50k XC race in 12 months time. I'm thinking of changing to the 100km event instead but I don't want to actually have to buy an XC bike for it.

Image not available

1078x610

20231106_194333.jpg

Anonymous No. 174824

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/is-the-future-of-the-edr-under-threat-and-with-it-the-future-of-professional-enduro-racing/

Its over

Image not available

1024x1024

IMG_20231008_0017....jpg

Anonymous No. 174832

>>172497
Is Cannondale /mtb/ approved? Is the XT gear worth the $700 over the SLX?
Michigan, so no real downhill available. Just XC and parks.
Also considering Topstone Lefty

Anonymous No. 174873

>>174832
do some research into the bike you're interested in. Cannondale does make good bikes, but the problem is that they do things differently and use proprietary parts that a common LBS won't be able to fix(unless they carry Cannondale) and your tools may not work

Anonymous No. 174982

>>174873
True. Had a Caffeine with the FatHead and while it had cool factor and worked great any type of maintenance was a giant pita. Was considering a Trek also. Almost bought a Kona a long time ago

Anonymous No. 175125

>>174982
I think they've become more standardized but I'm really not sure as I don't own any of their bikes anymore(used to have a Bad Boy with the headshock) and I haven't heard any complaints about it on their MTB side. It might just be their road bikes that use the proprietary BB, and have a different dish on their rear wheels. I've heard great things about the Lefty fork. Apparently, the design is better than a traditional telescoping fork because it doesn't have to overcome stiction so it reacts to the terrain faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCw2Nuj8gc

Image not available

639x469

1685781704274814.jpg

Anonymous No. 175276

We need more blacks in MTB.
More black tech trails. Tired of only being able to MTB in few spots because most are just smoothed out flat trails with rollers so more new casuals who will never ride again do it for a single day. This is also why you ride these kind of trails during downpours, to spice them up a bit

Anonymous No. 175302

>>175276
Yeah I get what you mean. I'm pretty lucky to live about an hour away from some very sketchy trails that are borderline unridable. All this machine built grade 3 flow trail shit gets very boring. It's cool that they build this shit to help get new people into the sport. But they are boring. So boring.

Anonymous No. 175306

>>175276
As a blue tard who still canā€™t bunnyhop, and struggles to get enough rotation for drops still, how do I progress to blacks?
Feels like theyā€™re forever out of reach, the disparity feels a lot greater than blue vs black on a snowboard

Anonymous No. 175308

>>175306
Reds

Anonymous No. 175310

>>175306
The difficulty shapes donā€™t actually mean anything, just keep riding more thereā€™s plenty of stupid-easy blacks and potentially-lethal blues out there

Anonymous No. 175327

>>175308
Donā€™t exist in U S of A
>>175310
Maybe, but most blacks Iā€™ve seen are definitely tougher. In FL, so itā€™s just built bike parks
My dumbass last wrecked not landing a small jump on a blue flow trail right, landed straddling the descending half of the hump instead of flat on top or just plain clearing it

Any knee/elbow pads anyone recommend? Not sure if I can keep up with the ā€˜fuck itā€™ mentality and be helmet/gloves only

Anonymous No. 175328

>>175306
Just go ride a trail above your pay grade, and get in over your head. Walk what you can't ride. Riding a trail above your pay grade and failing is the best way to identify what you need to work on.

Learning how to fall is the most important MTB technique.
Also practice helps, just try to learn bunnyhopping and how to lift the front wheel for a drop.

I personally learn the fastest taking risks and barely being able to ride down.

Anonymous No. 175331

>>175306
walk the trail. If you have buddies ride with them and follow their line if they aren't crazy fast.
Take knee pads and sometimes stop, take a deep breathe and have fun.
The more you ride a trail the more you can speed/push yourself.

I started in a mtb club in highschool. Crashed a ton, rode with better riders, and became better. After a year we had races at a DH bike park and we did the blues there, and then some blacks/lift access stuff.
>>175327
For gravity assisted stuff I like the big knee+shin pads. Something like the fox titan, and then soft armor for elbows. For days with lots of pedaling I wear lighter pads and only knee pads.
Remember, if you are going to fall100% bail into the bushes, or away from the rocks.

Image not available

208x208

1671644856825635.gif

Anonymous No. 175341

>>175327
Oh, so straight from a blue to black. Does that mean that an NA black is a European red?

Image not available

1268x1129

1617573025147.jpg

Anonymous No. 175360

>>175276
Be the change you want to see, anon. All the best trails are outlaw around here
>>175306
Practice skills intentionally while you're out riding, and session features until you can do them consistently. Most people just kind of ride, fuck up features along the way and just move on, then wonder why they never improve. It will also require some judgement on what features are far enough out of your comfort zone to improve, but no so far that you destroy yourself or your bike.
>>175327
>Any knee/elbow pads anyone recommend?
For gravity riding, anything with a solid knee cover. For pedaling, one of the flexible sleeve things would be best.

Anonymous No. 175390

>>175341
Bike parks are notorious for having power gaps in their trail difficulty levels, I think heā€™s just gotta go somewhere else and see more trails.
Thereā€™s a ā€œblue flow trailā€ at the local DH that I never feel comfortable on, itā€™s a minefield of ruts and protruding edges, but I have no problem hitting the also-recently-built black and double black technical trails. On top of that the park is finally using pro-line signage. I donā€™t necessarily agree with what they call pro-lines (they look more like ā€œrealā€ double blacks, which I shouldnā€™t be able to ride), but Iā€™m glad they now have 5 difficulty levels as well as flow/technical designation for everything.
Meanwhile at the other bike park the situation is completely different, itā€™s never technical and never steep and the ā€œdouble blackā€ is all just sculpted jumps and beginner-friendly wide open drops
And donā€™t get me started of trail rating accuracy for public bike trails, thatā€™s always been terrible

Image not available

4032x2268

20231110_102525.jpg

Anonymous No. 175394

>>175327
>Any knee/elbow pads anyone recommend?
I use the Dakine Anthem pads since 2017. Still standing strong, giving protection and comfortable. Its a bit bulky if you gotta climb in +30Ā°C, if not I can go all day long with them. I have done enduro races and once I put them on before the the race starts, they don't come off till I go take a shower. I once did >picrel a year ago due to a hole. They are strap on, which are better than slide ons and these don't slide down.
>elbowpads
These are uncomfortable. So no. My scars in my forearms and elbows are a testament of being a mtber
>helmet/gloves only
This is retarded unless you ride in flat stuff/gravel. I never ride without kneepads, they are a must. With a broken arms or elbow I can walk down the mountain but with a broken kneecap or leg, nuh uh. You need to get carried down.
>>175341
Reds are quite fun, technical enough and you still can go fast.

Image not available

1000x1000

types-mens-underw....jpg

Anonymous No. 175426

What is the ideal underwear for mtb? Inb4 road bike diaper

Anonymous No. 175428

>>175426
Depends on your dick size. I pack heat so I go with the jockstrap.

Image not available

674x674

laughingplanes2.jpg

Anonymous No. 175459

>>175426
> Underwear

Image not available

1079x1325

1695050763230374.jpg

Anonymous No. 175547

>>175426
>Implying there are options other than strings

Image not available

694x774

1663086835048946.png

Anonymous No. 175576

>>175426
>boxer briefs
This is it nigga
>briefs / trunks
Only kids that haven't had their wet dream yet wear these
>boxers
Only old unfertile boomers whose willy no longer stand up se these and if you wear these, you pp will be flying everywhere whioe you ride.
>jockstrap/strings
Only ricardo can and (You) if (You) are doing a race
>bikini/thong
Only women. Mtb pants of women are always tight somehow thus you can the outline which I like to watch and is nice

Anonymous No. 175579

>>175426
Trunks or boxer briefs are all a man should ever wear. Everything else is too constrictive and boxers and midways have too much fabric and shift/bunch

Image not available

2040x1536

PXL_20231111_1835....jpg

Anonymous No. 175604

Went to a really chunky and techy place called Rockville today. I need to go back a few more times because I did really poor today. It's all tech, no flow to it, lots of steep off-camber sections when it does get flowy.
Anyone recommend a fast but grippy XC/trail tire for the winter? I don't think I'll be able to dig in with the Schwalbe Wicked Wills on my XC hardtail when it gets a little slippery. Friend recommended the Specialized Ground Control tires, I'm thinking about the Michelin Wild AM2 tires since I used one on my trail bike, also considering another pair of Continental Kryptotals but I haven't put the ones on my trail bike through their paces yet.

Image not available

640x614

1650541434174.webm

Anonymous No. 175707

What's the best chinkshit to get from aliexpress for mtb? A bunch of stuff is on sale for their Nov 11 thing. So far I've had a good experience with valve stems, a carbon bottle cage, and a 11-46 10 speed cassette. I'm thinking of picking up some rim tape and grips this time to have on hand.

>>175604
>Fast
>Grippy
Just inflate trail tires to 30 psi if you want something that's sorta fast and sorta grippy. Alternatively, most brands have a more aggressive xc tire which sounds like what you're going for, but the wicked wills fall into this category already. If you must consoom, just get whichever one looks the coolest to you.

Image not available

230x328

braincel2.png

Anonymous No. 175708

>>175707
> just inflate trail tires to 30 psi

very genius take. Reminds me of when some dude was asking where to find short levers for his shimano brakes and they just told him to move the levers in further.
My Arc has a lot of tire clearance so I might just stick something with big knobs in the back, probably some contis since they make them in multiple cases

Anonymous No. 175720

>>175604
I find it 100% depends on how your terrain changes over the winter. Mine looks similar to yours, but it doesn't get super muddy. Thus I run some mid length knobs like kenda nevegals(yes I am old). If you already have the krypt's ride those on your trail bike in the winter, then you will know if putting them on the xc bike is the right play.

Another advantage to multiple bike action.

Anonymous No. 175764

>>175426
Bib shorts are based

Image not available

2279x1080

Very.jpg

Anonymous No. 175766

>>175720
>(yes I am old)
Very

Anonymous No. 175822

>>175764
The only problem I have with bib shorts is that they make it harder to pee on the trail compared to regular padded shorts but they're just so much more convenient and better at being shorts that I choose to wear them on my big weekend rides.

Image not available

1440x716

sc.png

Anonymous No. 175856

I like having back protection when I'm riding. My bike doesn't have a bottle cage so I need a bladder with me. Should I wear a back protector (that might have a chest protector sometimes) and then a hip bag, or a bag with a built in back protector? Which is more versatile?

Image not available

1024x1024

1663795366044680.jpg

Anonymous No. 175867

>>175856
Just don't fall and you wont have a need for it

Anonymous No. 175889

>>175856
Just wear a normal CamelBak they are surprisingly comfortable to fall on

Image not available

956x937

1629945028925.jpg

Anonymous No. 175950

>>175856
These anons >>175867 >>175889 are correct. Spinal injuries ore overwhelmingly caused by hyperflexation by landing on your face and scorpioning, or by compression by landing on your head like a lawn dart. Simply wearing a backpack with some form of padding will offer the same protection without costing 230 funny monies

Anonymous No. 176099

backpack should be enough protection if you fill it with enough water and don't have anything poking in there.

Anonymous No. 176122

>>175856
Chest/back protection in mtb is a bit of a meme imo. Don't think they add any useful protection and are just sweaty and restrictive. I'd personally do anything I could to attach a bottle to the bike and failing that use a fanny pack.

Image not available

576x768

bonk.jpg

Anonymous No. 176143

>>176122
>Don't think they add any useful protection and are just sweaty and restrictive
Depends on the kit and fit. Also depends on the crash. I've had one crash where I landed on my back, and I landed in a pile of dry leaves so I was fine. Knee, elbow, wrist, ankle impacts and head impacts are much more common from my experiences from crashing. I've never never fallen and hit my head, but I hit my head often enough on branches.

Anonymous No. 176147

>>176143
I think the discipline and trails matter a lot too. Personally I wear gloves, padded shorts and kneepads for trail/Enduro style riding.

I saw a 14yo go over the bars landing a jump into a very rocky berm on a DH practice day before a race and got up and shook it off like it was nothing because he was wearing full chest armor, full face helmet, gloves knee and elbow pads. I personally dont ride the shit that requires that level of protection but for those that do, go for it.

Anonymous No. 176150

>>176143
I broke an xc helmet in a race once. Going a little too wide on a narrow descent and my bar snagged a "loop" of a branch. Got tossed immediately to the ground sideways, blacked out for a bit(like 1-2 seconds) got out of the way and walked back up and out.

OTOH I have some ancient DH gloves that have protected my hands from 100's of crashes. After that is knees for sure, elbows I prefer just long sleeve shirts.
>>176147
Yeah when I did some DH riding the full plastic shin-knee protectors were awesome.

Image not available

550x550

169990003191475502.jpg

Anonymous No. 176154

>>176150
Do you do much XC racing? I have signed up for a 50km race (short, I know) because I don't want to have to buy another bike for the event. Looks like my mate whose doing the race with me has bought a 2018 epic for cheap - he normally rides a DVO/XT build deviate claymore - but I want to do it on a bike I already own.

My choices are my Marin alpine trail C1 (C2 build) which pedals fine but is a bit of a tractor to get up hills, my Norco torrent F36/XT/GX which is light and pedals well but it's horrible to ride up hills because you feel every bump, my 2016 mondraker dune which is super light, really upright but is 27.5 and has a 11-46 casette so doesn't have the range but is a great climber. Or rebuild my mondraker foxy R, which was a very heavy bike but with a lighter build it would probably do well in a trail/xc race.

My instinct is to take the dune. It's my biggest travel bike (retardedly) but from what I remember it climbs really well and will be super comfy on the descents when the XC guys will be chattering over roots il float X over them.

Anonymous No. 176165

>>176154
I used to do XC racing. Did it for around 3-4 years as a junior. Admittedly most races were a similar distance to yours, or a little less but hilly(for me).

IMO the key is pacing, comfort, and hill climb speed. I did some stupid shit and blew up/bonked generally on my worst races. Best races I kept myself under control and motored along. Comfort is important since the more tired you get on the ride the higher the chance you will crash, and every crash is WAY more detrimental to the race then "taking it easy" or riding a heavier bike.

Now I don't know what/where you are racing, but if there are lots of hills+decents take something that can climb, for you comfortably. I started on a hardtail and it was fun, but the FS gave better traction and allowed you to pedal through/over obstacles so much more.

If you don't mind sitting and spinning/grinding up hills a longer travel bike isn't that much worse. If you have a lockout that can be useful too.

Oh, and something people don't look into is tires, if you are confident in the terrain with faster rolling tires that helps a ton on flats. OTOH don't run something too loose and sketch that you will crash.

If you have time, ride the area before the race and learn the track. I found that was a big key on certain trails where it goes from say double track to super narrow single. Really hard to pass others unless you are a maniac on tight singletrack.

TL:DR Take the bike you are comfiest on for climbing. Go for fun, pace yourself so you don't blow up like a retard and don't run DH tires unless you have to.

Image not available

320x383

1684059443721932.gif

Anonymous No. 176176

>following friend on trail I've ridden once
>see him doing a big jump on the corner
>too late and trust him
>case jump and somehow didn't went OTB after bouncing
At least I had the balls to hit it but cased another 2 before with rim strikes

Anonymous No. 176187

>>176165
Wow thanks for the advice anon. The 'not going too hard too early' but is probably gonna be the hardest for me as I generally will stick onto the faster end of the pack (in Enduro mass-starts) and hang in longer than I expected but ultimately cook myself. This XC race is wave starts 15 mins apart. I've entered in the last (slowest) group to leave but there's some formula they have to work out average time so I might move up to an earlier start group

Image not available

600x450

1612035376916.jpg

Anonymous No. 176209

>>176154
>>176187
>50 km
>Short
>Mfw
That's starting to get into short marathon race territory. Most XCO races aren't even 30 km
>Enduro or hardtail
NTA, but you should at the very least try each bike on a 50 km ride to see which one you like best if you haven't already and still have the time. Some things to consider are that on most xc courses, descents are mostly singletrack, so you'll be stuck going at the pace of the guy in front of you unless you're in first or are far behind the guy in front of you. Most passing opportunities are on the flats and climbs, so don't discount how much nicer sprinting on a hardtail is compared to your enduro bikes. If you think pacing will be an issue for you, one of your enduro bikes may be best because you can simply sit and suffer instead of having to stand for each bump on the trail.

T. a few top 10s in the university xc race series here using a hardtail

Anonymous No. 176240

>>176209
The only reason I'm saying short is because I've done a few 50-60km rides with similar elevation gain and while I've definitely been fucked after riding them, they were totally achievable. The race is next November, but if the organisers made it next weekend I wouldn't panic I'd just go out and do it without any stress or pre training, so in my head it's not really much of a challenge. The next distance up is 100km, and since I have got so much time to train for it I kinda want to do the 100. But I'm also thinking under race conditions I might find 50km is heaps

Anonymous No. 176493

Where to buy Bikes online? I wanted to support local bike shops but they are being a bit Jewy with their prices.

Anonymous No. 176494

Anon's how were your rides this weekend?

I went and raked leaves on a downhill run for 5 hours. then rode

Anonymous No. 176497

>>176493
https://www.dirtmerchantbicycles.com/collections/banshee-frames?page=1

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/nomad?color=Gloss%20Marigold%20Yellow&media=0#bike-builder

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountain-bikes/enduro-bikes/strive/cfr/strive-cfr-tld/3196.html?dwvar_3196_pv_rahmenfarbe=M147_P03

Remember, Friends don't let Friends buy bikes with yoke driven suspension, poorly manufactured misaligned trunnion mounts, or headset cable routing

Anonymous No. 176498

>>176493
>>176497
Forgot to add
If a bike shop doesn't carry what you want to buy they can go fuck off. I don't give a shit that they don't carry wet chain lube, shimano cleat nuts, Suspension Forks/Shocks or any other small parts. I'm going to shop where they do, and I only have to go to one shop.

Image not available

340x270

1632970109496.jpg

Anonymous No. 176501

>>176497
>>176498
Thanks based anon

Anonymous No. 176531

>>176497
That SC marigold is hideous in person btw. Blue looks fantastic though.

Image not available

4032x2268

20231119_144345.jpg

Anonymous No. 176539

>>176494
I did a 4(four) laps. 3 on the sexy trail and 1 on another not to sexy trail. For each lap I did(40 min climb-4min descent), a kid did 3-4 laps as his parents were shuttling him with a rope on the car. I miss when my parents did that for me. I need either a friend with an E-bike to tow me, a gf to shuttle me, pay for the shuttle or drink redbulls and get PRs on the climbs.

The problem with raking trails is that they get covered again in a windy day

Anonymous No. 176586

>>176539
The point about raking trails stands true. But on fast tracks with lots of rocks like the one I raked it makes a huge difference. Since you can see the trail.

I also built a short new section with rock rolls and more rockrolls. It just needs some skinnies and it will be perfect.

Anonymous No. 176591

>>176498
Always check to see if a shop has an extensive stock of spokes and a shop dog. If not, they probably suck.

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20231121_0155....jpg

Anonymous No. 176594

>>176494
No rides. Strained my rotator cuff while bouldering and I made it worse last week. I did a night gravel ride yesterday and I can ride fine without stressing the rotator cuff unless I climb in the saddle or reach down with my left to grab a water bottle. I hope I can get back to MTB soon, if not then I'll be doing flat rides until I recover. I don't strain the rotator cuff if I climb out of the saddle so I might just suck it up, grab the hardtail, and power through some shorter climbs. I won't know until I actually ride an mtb since the seating position is different.

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20231123_1746....jpg

Anonymous No. 176753

>>176594
Felt better today. It only hurts when I'm doing a slow climb and I'm wobbling the bars back and forth. I don't know what it is about riding that makes physical pain and illness go away. Even when I have a cold it makes it go away.

Anonymous No. 176755

>>176753
What brake rotors are those?

Anonymous No. 176758

>>176755
Galfer Wave.
The idea is they use less material so they cool down faster, but they also heat up faster which is a benefit if you want metallic pads to grip sooner, but also a negative if you're braking too much. Never had them overheat though.

Image not available

756x756

1692204483775827.jpg

Anonymous No. 176762

>>176494
I didn't ride, I put away my bikes for the season. It's over. Go on without me bros
>>176240
Racing is certainly different than just punting around on a ride, so if it's your first longer distance race, 50km is prolly the better choice

Anonymous No. 176773

>>176762
>I put away my bikes for the season. It's over
It's fat bike season if you live in an area it snows.

Anonymous No. 176776

>>176762
Time to go skiing, snowmobiling or snowboarding then. It's perfectly fine to hang up the bikes as long as you still stay active.

Image not available

256x140

1665849939634493.webm

Anonymous No. 176791

>winter
Remember to add air to your forks and airshocks niggas, PV=NRT. 5Ā°c today and bottomed out the fork harshly often.

Image not available

320x320

1699358110144634.gif

Anonymous No. 176812

Somehow snapped the barrel end off my shifter cable today and had to cycle home 10 miles in my 10 tooth rear sprocket.

Image not available

680x641

1687482063968871.jpg

Anonymous No. 176859

>>176773
I've tried it and am not a fan desu
>>176776
>Time to go skiing, snowmobiling or snowboarding then
I live in a gigasuburb, so unfortunately doing any of that requires at least 2 hours of driving each way for ski "hills" that are not even 200 m tall with 30+ minute lift lines. Snow just turns to slush before a good base can form nowadays anyways. It's truly a grim situation in the winter here.

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20221205_2320....jpg

Anonymous No. 176881

>>176859
Damn. I'd say try out road or gravel riding but I don't know how bad your roads get. I was on my gravel bike from December to April since we got record breaking rainfall that shit up nearly every trail and fun motorcycle road.

Image not available

3264x2448

17010237338385365....jpg

Anonymous No. 176985

Anons, you should come ride Windrock. It's very fun. We will see how I did on the winter race league today. There are a bunch of really fast guys here today. I will see if they post the results online, if not then I will tell you what place I got since I used my real name.

Anonymous No. 177054

>>176985
> Tennessee
hey at least it's still in the same country.
What else is over there?

Anonymous No. 177156

>>177054
Pisgah National Forest is 3 hours away.
Asheville has all of its shit going on.

Knoxville has some decent urban xc trails. And good jump trails at Baker Creek. Specifically The Devils Racetrack

Johnson City has some good riding on Buffalo mountain (almost all unmapped) and a pedal up bike park in the middle of downtown called Tannery Knob

If you like the Jewtuber, Berm Peak there is the Chestnut mountain pedal up bike park in Canton. The double black jumptrail at the top of the mountain "champion" is actually really good and worth visiting.

That's it for stuff within day trip range.

Snowshoe WV is 6.5 hours.
Ride rock creek is probably 3.5
Jarrod place is 2.5 hours
Ober mountain and vee hollow are 2 hours.

If you are used to west Coast riding or somewhere without deciduous forests, you are going to find 2 new terrain types, wet leaves and leaf surfing. One is just the trail tread is leaves, the other there is 3"-12" of leaves obscuring all obstacles on the trail. Both raise the difficulty of a trail one rating.

I got 23rd of 40 racing, because I showed up to practice 1.5 hours late.

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20231128_0129....jpg

Anonymous No. 177232

fun night to ride. Feels so much sketchier on the hardtail

>>177156
oh man, leaf surfing sounds like surfing down marbles. Did some of that yesterday in Santa Cruz on a trail called Hillbilly. Really great riding there but I can't seem to get all the air bubbles out of the rear brake on my enduro bike. Part of me thinks I fucked a seal in the lever, but it was still braking hard when I adjusted the reach all the way out.
I'll have to add your area to my list. Not sure when I'll ever get to it since I want to ride more of California, but I think I'd rather ride there than risk dehydration in Arizona

Image not available

1080x2340

Screenshot_202311....png

Anonymous No. 177369

Peter Sagan crashed on a trail I did not crash on. Feels pro

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzzJ2yLsq_6/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Image not available

500x334

p3pb24439783.jpg

Anonymous No. 177435

>>177369
>lycra
>in terrain like finale
On another video his riding is not natural, its like the front of the bike dictates where his torso/upper chest will go and he is stiff. He doesn't have the 'grace'

Anonymous No. 177558

Anyone else had really bad luck with carbon frames?

Anonymous No. 177600

>>172497
Hello fellow mountain bikers. I just got a 21 speed bike from a friend and have got myself into a situation where the chain is both the front and rear gear but any forward peddling is just nope, shit won't move. The chain is looser than I think it should be if I tug on it but it still looks like it's on the gears and there's this weird thing hanging off that says shimano xt deore on it and I think maybe I'm just too stupid for bikes these days because they were a lot simpler back in the 90s when I last had one, should I just get healthcare again and go back to skating to lose weight?

Anonymous No. 177603

>>177600
You know what I think that weird thing is called a derailleur and the chain should be on the spiky bits of it and it isn't, I got this, you guys just carry on.

Image not available

253x253

1636433343019.jpg

Anonymous No. 177606

>>177558
>Anyone else had really bad luck with carbon frames?
I've avoided them personally, but it seems to be a mixed bag for my friends that ride carbon frames. Most seem to have no issues, but a couple of them have broken several different frames each. I think as long as you stick to the intended purpose of the frame and sell it off after a couple of years for a new one, it will likely be ok.

Image not available

376x294

1600982570926.png

Anonymous No. 177631

Which app do you guys use, Trailforks or Strava?

Anonymous No. 177648

>>177631
Both. Strava is useful for finding unsanctioned, but popular, trails. Very useful for finding trails in Santa Cruz. Since trailforks doesn't have them due to the agreement to keep the trails secret so it doesn't get too popular and piss off the locals and get enforced by the police.

>>177558
nope. I have 4 carbon frames and I haven't had any problems with any of them. Haven't had any problems with chromoly steel, or aluminum frames either. Sometimes you can get unlucky, but the same can happen with any other material. You just hear about it more when carbon fails because there are a fuckload of luddites into bikes.

Image not available

635x409

stumpy.jpg

Anonymous No. 177653

>>177631
Strava, not for any particular reason, but I like how I can track all of my rides from multiple devices (watch, peloton, etc.). Also I impulse bought a stumpjumper evo elite alloy on sale. What am I in for? I am coming from a hardtail with 140mm travel.

Anonymous No. 177663

>>177558
Nope. I tend to hurt myself more then my bike parts.
Worst I have done is busted a spoke on a dh wheelset and cracked an xc helmet+black out.
Worst on my body is the permanent hip injury after I slide into an immovable object at 15mph or so....... but that was on the road(lmao).

So far my 1 carbon bike has done fine. So old it has a threaded BB and a triple...... and made in canada.
>>177653
hardtail to full sus. Really dependds on your hardtail, but since it was 140mm of travel it was probably newish. So the geo probably isn't a huge change, but rear suspension allows you to carry way more speed, easier/different line choice, and superior traction on rocky/rooty terrain.

I am more of a bike hoarder so I have both hardtails, ridgid, and full sus. All are fun on different trails, and different times.
However I will always be fastest on my full sus and be able to ride the furthest. Ridgid is the best for underbiking/forcing line choice. While hardtail is a great mix.

Anonymous No. 177681

>>177631
Trailforks
Strava sucks ass at everything, gave it a shot for some group running activities and such, I just stick with MapMyRun for all my fitness stuff
Countless times trying to use strava for my road cycling it would either stop itself just as Iā€™m starting -( I hit start, but taking time to put my phone in a pocket, gloves on, sationary) the auto stop kicks in and it doesnā€™t auto start, or hell it would just sometimes randomly stop my workout when Iā€™m 8 miles in and still going

Anonymous No. 177690

>>177681
I have had something similar with Strava, started it at the start of the ride and ??? And at the end of the ride it said I'd taken 3.5 hours to move about 5m across the carpark. Glad I never paid for it or I would have been really fucked off I'm not a bug

Image not available

3024x4032

20231130_144420.jpg

Anonymous No. 177708

>>177631
I use trailforks whenever going to a new set of trails and using it on the web on my phone instead of the app as you get the same features as on a desktop and not the gimped mobile experience. I also use the heatmaps more than the trail view as I find it easier to find trails that way.

Image not available

1500x1000

revelate-designs-....jpg

Anonymous No. 177763

Pogies: based or cringe?

Anonymous No. 177808

>>177763
Based if they keep you comfy.

Image not available

1131x743

1683574383569574.jpg

Anonymous No. 177810

>>177763
>front wheel slides on ice
>go down fast
>cant get hands out to cushion the fall
>broken elbow

Anonymous No. 177890

>>177810
No worse then clip-less pedals.

Image not available

184x184

4401ae3cd410550d7....jpg

Anonymous No. 177902

Any advice from EU fags here? I'd like to get into MTBs but I live in Estonia, so the highest point here is a speed-pump, but we do have Slopestyle and dirt tracks here. There aren't that many riders anymore or at least they are hard to get in touch with in that sense. I have a budget of around 1000ā‚¬ for the bike. I guess it'll be a hardtail that I could also ride to work, but I haven't been able to find a "good" one per se as of yet. All I've stumbled upon are Format etc sketchy looking-feeling brands.

Image not available

525x809

1665728290380708.png

Anonymous No. 177918

>>177902
>I live in Estonia
>highest point here is a speed-pump
>I'd like to get into MTB
You'd be better off on a gravel bike unless you you want the comfort of a fork

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20231202_1640....jpg

Anonymous No. 177920

Took the hardtail to North America's (formerly) longest flow trail. The Arc rips so hard through it, but it's so much more tiring than with the full squish bikes I've taken through it in the past. The climb sucked ass because my sunglasses kept fogging up since it was very humid and cold out.
This will be more fun when it's not so foggy. I kept slipping the rear tire on some of the climbs since these tires weren't able to dig in through the debris so I think I'll go full Michelin Wild AM2 or Continental Kryptotal for the winter.

Image not available

313x239

1647477618658.gif

Anonymous No. 177952

>>177810
>front wheel slides on ice
>go down fast
>get hands out to cushion the fall
>broken wrists

Image not available

640x640

1701371382057547.jpg

Anonymous No. 177955

Ok anons, give me one reason to not bleed my brakes with cooking oil.

Anonymous No. 177956

>>177955
if it's shimano brakes just use baby oil since they are both mineral oil.
If it's DOT fluid..... a bottle of 3 for your bike must be 3-4 usd.

Image not available

1073x1280

1699744203686086.png

Anonymous No. 177960

>>177956
But cooking oil is free because I already have it, plus i kinda wanna know what happens

Anonymous No. 177963

>>177960
Should be fine. You might get brake fade quicker then usual.

Anonymous No. 177974

>>177918
I commuted with a gravel bike whole summer and to be honest, I love its speed and versitality, but Estonia being North-Eastern, we have huge potholes, but at the same time we also have IT firms laundering shit tons of money here, so the roads will never be fixed is what I was trying to say. Because of that I cringe riding stiff forks, imagining the fucker breaking on me while accidentally going through a pothole or a bump, faceplanting the coarse USSR era pavement (shit's like grit 0.3). What do?

Image not available

1209x629

Screenshot_202312....jpg

Anonymous No. 177978

>>177974
Say no more

Image not available

854x930

1666198513484909.jpg

Anonymous No. 177985

Any good glasses /sunglasses? Winter sun gets quite low. All the options I see are very expensive, with the cheapest being 50 euro. Is Ali express a good option?

Image not available

592x518

1683962054245942.jpg

Anonymous No. 178084

>>177631
I use my poorly adjusted natural senses after being a shut in neet for 23 years and trust my gut. i do not plan to live, but survive long enough i had enough fun before i plunge head first and die

Anonymous No. 178086

>>177985
I steal them from the tradies when they're making their orders at mcdonalds and run off with them before they notice

Image not available

720x482

1664512226111748.jpg

Anonymous No. 178122

>>178084
>thinking that theres no need to record
If it's not on strava, it didn't happen and you might aswell stayed home masturbating as it was just an illusion

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20231205_0150....jpg

Anonymous No. 178218

Remember to get good lights so you can keep riding.
Just did my first ride with a Push ElevenSix on my EVIL Wreckoning. Despite being objectively firmer for pedalling and more plush for descending than my rockshox coil, it just felt like a worse ride today. It just felt like I had a lot more drag when pedalling which isn't something I can blame on the shock. When descending, it's far more plush and hugs the ground better, but I just kept getting my rear wheel deflected to the side off roots and rocks. I'll have to try again in the day time when the soil is drier. All the climbs were soft from the rain which I know causes more drag with these tires.

Anonymous No. 178229

>>178218
That type of terrain can be very slow when wet. Remember it will take time to get used to and dial in your new shock.
I used to do a fair amount of night mtb'ing, just make sure to take it easy and watch out for wildlife.

Image not available

540x535

1692118548044437.jpg

Anonymous No. 178315

>>178218
Your damping forces are probably too high.

The bike is moving instead of the wheel

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20231205_0127....jpg

Anonymous No. 178337

>>178229
I saw a deer at the end of this. It freaked me out for a second because I know mountain lions are active here at this time. The shock comes pre-dialed in. I'm running Michelin Wild Enduro tires and these dig into the soil and they're hard to climb with in wet soil but they don't slip.I do like that the switch is very easy to flip on this shock when pedalling.
Deer are scary at night. Their behavior completely changes and they're no longer scared of people

Anonymous No. 178348

>>177648
This. Lots of trails are very obvious on Strava that don't exist on trailforks.

Image not available

1439x1620

Screenshot_202312....jpg

Anonymous No. 178409

Anyone heard of this brand? Polish
>Dartmoor thunderbird Fr
>180mm rear
>up to 200mm front
>mullet
>900ā‚¬ w/o shock and 1200ā‚¬ w shock
The wheel base is as not as long as the spindrift but seattube is steep and chainstay is == to my current bike. The normal thunderbird looks like I can put a longer dropperpost and has a longer wheelbase than the spindrift but has a way longer reach than I would like to. I need a mullet bike, with short reach, steep seatpost angle, slack and long wheelbase. It will be overkill for the trails I ride between late november-march, slight overmatch to the kino sexo trails and perfect for the bikepark where I can't put my shock to be soft enough to be comfortable and enough support to not bottom out when doing the nigger blacks trails.

Anonymous No. 178466

>>178409
Yeah, I have heard of the brand since I am a bike nerd. Been around for at least 5-10 years. I think they are gravity/dj focused.
I am old school so I can't give any input on the long bike/long front center thing, I always felt like I was riding more of a plow bike the larger it got.
I also don't know the differentiation between black, and "nigger"black trails.
God I am getting old.

Image not available

3264x2448

IMG_20211121_124838.jpg

Anonymous No. 178471

>>178409
I owned their hardtail,
>pic related.
I never broke the frame 10/10 great bike. I've broken the frame on every other mountain bike I've owned.

It's a budget brand, with lower than usual QC compared to the usual brands. Mine had paint in the post mount threads and some in the BB. If they can't sort that out then it's a lower chance they can get a trunnion to not eat bearings.

My hardtail was super duper stiff. And it could take anything. This made the frame uncomfortable. There was zero give or flex whatsoever. I haven't heard anything bad, so it should be pretty good. Just stock up on hangers if it isn't udh

Anonymous No. 178478

>>173846
alright, same guy. I bought a 2nd pair to put on my hardtail >>177920 for the winter since I was very impressed with their performance on my full squish trail bike. This time they were incredibly easy to mount. Something about the BERD TR30s made them a nightmare to mount, but they slipped on like a lucid sex dream onto NOBL TR35s. Ended up spending more time than I planned on bike maintenance tonight since I noticed that my Magura MT Trail brake calipers got misaligned and Magura doesn't make these easy to mount like every other brake manufacturer

Anonymous No. 178508

>>178466
>black, and "nigger"black trails
Black is black(yuro standard= bouble blacl NA). And nigger black has the red or black difficulty aspect but the trail is so fucked up you worry more about the bike disassembling on its own on the way down.
>>178471
>lower than usual QC
Hmm, lower than canyon standards?
>stiffness
I really don't understand this concept really translates to the trail especially with a full sus 180mm bike

Anonymous No. 178579

>>178508
Basically my bike was heavily overbuilt and yours probably be as well.

The heat treat should be good so no breakage.

Stiffness is going to mean that the bike is going feel slightly more harsh as a material property instead just suspension kinematics. Think like the difference between 35mm and 31.8 bars. Just look at the size of those tubes, and it's weight it's probably going to be stiff.

Dimensional accuracy will be so/so but the design of the top rocker linkage looks good (2cnc pieces welded together) and should be easy to make it not warp when welding through a simple jig, that is if they give a shit. If they keep the frame from warping during heat treat it should be good. And not eat your shock or bearings.

Hopefully better than canyon. I have not heard about anything breaking on them, but I also don't know anyone else who owns one.

Image not available

2300x1294

IMG_20201025_1218....jpg

Anonymous No. 178600

>>178579
>Hopefully better than canyon. I have not heard about anything breaking on them, but I also don't know anyone else who owns one.
I used to have a Spectral Al5. I beat the shit out of it and it took it fine, but I've seen a lot of broken frames but take that with a grain of salt since people only post when shit goes bad.Their QC seems to be hit or miss these days but their customer service is great so if anything goes wrong, they'll have you covered assuming you're in a first world country and you're the original owner.
You're going to hear a lot about broken frames from every brand except for maybe some very low production stuff

Anonymous No. 178622

>>178600
I have a friend with it and ever since I met him he has had a problem with the bushings on the frame. Its loose even when tightened to max torque so he upsized it a bit and still had play. It has a knocking sound when you lift the frame. And canyon with their headset crap the cover of the upper headset bearing scratches the carbon frame and looks ugly. But its sooo light which I liked of his bike.

Anonymous No. 178658

>>178622
Friend with the same here. Even well regarded brands have problems too though. I'm on my 3rd Santa cruz frame in 4 months.

Anonymous No. 178680

>>178658
it's important to get a bike from a company with excellent customer service. Even if you buy secondhand and don't get a warranty, just being able to contact them and buy replacement parts is great.

Anonymous No. 178734

Is it worth investing in one of those tanks or overflow pumps if I want to go tubeless or is there another way? I would rather not pay the shop

Anonymous No. 178749

>>178734
Air compressor is $60 you can also go buy air impacts and other tools to use with it. You can use it to blow air to dry out your fork lowers when you service them.
You don't need a chain whip if you just put your cassette tool in an impact gun. Also very useful for working on cars.

Anonymous No. 178753

>>178734
https://www.amazon.com/Airshot-1-15L-Tubeless-Inflator-Color/dp/B01BJ4MXQY/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3RO52PAL232ML&keywords=air+shot&qid=1702145903&sprefix=air+shot%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-2
I use this. I mainly got it because I really needed something like this and this was the only thing with Prime shipping. I still use it a lot but I kind of wish I had that Topeak floor pump that has the air can built in. Not worth the price IMO just to save on some space in my tool shed and save a little bit of time every time I seat tubeless tires

Image not available

520x520

170162612279196709.jpg

Anonymous No. 178767

I use one of these with a scrader>presta adapter. It works good. It's probably a bit more expensive than a regular air compressor but if you are really short on space it's a good tool to have

Anonymous No. 178777

>>177631
Both suck ass, I aint being a paypig to get your basic functions
I can actually view trails on komoot
(Havent used strava for a few years tho, so idk desu)

Anonymous No. 178779

>>178680
Better for it to not break in the first place

Image not available

700x656

1700201345263703.jpg

Anonymous No. 178812

>>178734
>Is it worth investing in one of those tanks or overflow pump
No. In most cases I've gotten tires to seat with just a regular floor pump by rolling the bead into place and spraying the bead with water to help it slip into place more easily. If you're struggling and already have a decent floor pump, you can juts use a 2L pop bottle as an air pig. https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ghetto-tubeless-inflator-total-cost-9p/

Anonymous No. 178962

>>178749
I have too many tools and not enough space for them already.
>>178812
I don't have a decent floor pump. I was thinking about buying one of those topeak things or something like >>178753 Good to know there is a cheaper way though.

Anonymous No. 179082

>>178962
Those floor pumps should work then. I have much much better luck when I take the valve core out. Then shove an air nozzle from the compressor onto the hole. It will seat any tire.

Anonymous No. 179084

Fuck me it was cold and rainy all weekend. I only got to ride on the trails I built at my parents house And It's going to snow tonight.

I'm also going to try a coil shock. I wanted a cane creek or a rockshox but I got the hookup from a bike shop friend to get a rockshox super deluxe ultimate b(1 or 2 idk) at cost. I got it because I want to fuck around less with air shocks. Most spring calculators put me at a 450 or 400lb spring so I am going to buy both.

Any anons running coils. What should I expect. I'm probably going to use this as a starting point for suspension shim stack tuning

Anonymous No. 179144

>>178734
No. Literally use a CO2 inflator. It's $20 for the inflator and a few dollars per CO2 bulb.

Anonymous No. 179154

>>179084
I am an older coil user. Good on you to get both springs. I find they are smoother then my air shocks, but my air shocks are older rp23's and fox 32's so.... yeah.

I would expect consistently more compliance and suppleness out of the coils, but as is known the progressiveness needs to be dialed in somehow. Since it sounds like you will be wrenching and fixing it should be fine.

It's old tech so get springs you may want to try now in case rockshox stops supporting it(happened to my fox 40 springs).

Anonymous No. 179172

>>179084
They are really predictable. Their progression graph is just a straight line. For me it was definitely upgrade. Also coil is more reliable and if you are planing to get a tune don't cheap out. I would rather have a stock shock than a badly tuned one.

Image not available

1439x1429

20231208_140315.jpg

Anonymous No. 179188

>>179084
Your rear end will stick to the ground like shit once you get it right. It'll be comfy so run max rebound speed for fun. Also bikes looks cooler with coil shocks you don't need to maintain them often.

Image not available

512x576

1670179817136933.jpg

Anonymous No. 179201

>WOWZA! Is that a heckin coil shockerino on your bike there, friendo? It must be so SUPPLE and PLUSH. Those dumb frame designers had no idea what they were doing when they spec'd it with an air shock!

Anonymous No. 179215

>>179172
I am going to be the one tuning it. So we will see how I do. If I really like it out of the box I'm not going to mess with it. I'm running my fork and shock currently with the compression maxed out. So I may want to put a former compression tune in.

>>179201
Why must you attempt to tear dowm bike autist happiness? Does it elevate you in some way?

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20231212_0130....jpg

Anonymous No. 179220

I hope you fellas rode tonight.

Unless you're the southern hemisphere anons. I hope you're having a pleasant summer

Image not available

2310x1800

20231212_075949.jpg

Anonymous No. 179244

>>179220
Ya, check out my balls

Image not available

857x519

2023-01-23.png

Anonymous No. 179255

>>179215
>Why must you attempt to tear dowm bike autist happiness? Does it elevate you in some way?
Thats the /n/gay city hipster. Once in a while some enduro riders passes his hipster city bike on the descent and then he proceeds to shitpost here on how he can it doesn't matter bc he can climb faster

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20231212_0120....jpg

Anonymous No. 179306

>>179255
Nah, if it was that guy, he just would have complained about a suspension and the bike not being made out of chinesium.

Speaking of steel, have any of you guys ridden one of those new high end full suspension steel hardtails? I don't mean chinesium, I mean the ones made out of legit steel that's built to last and has proper engineering behind it.

Anonymous No. 179329

>>179306

I rode my friends Chromag rootdown (steel) that's a very similar build to my (alloy) Norco torrent, only difference is his was F36 fit4 and mine F36 grip, and he is a real weiner about tyre pressure (24+ psi) while I'm very much "lower is better" and run 15-18psi on rockier terrain. His bike felt jittery as fuck. Probably because of the tyres and fork. I prefer my alloy HT. But I wouldn't turn down a steel frame to build.

Anonymous No. 179334

>>179306
I have a mid 2010's ns surge (26). I like it, built it up from a frame set of CRC with a rockshox domain, 2x9 xt, wide bars, and big tires. First bike I took down many DH trails and could keep up with my friend on his old session 9.9. Busted a spoke and the stock spring was a little soft but I liked those hayes stroker ace 4pot brakes.
I ran around 30psi with DH tires since I am 200+lbs and northstar has very rocky trails.

Need to ride with her again. It was nice picking parts and getting a somewhat color matched build that I like.

Anonymous No. 179361

>>179306
> Full suspension hardtail
Meant to say full suspension MTB. I've had hardtails on my mind lately

Anonymous No. 179372

>>179144
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm just going to do this. Fucking snakeoil in this hobby man

Anonymous No. 179382

>>179372
I am 90% sure I have inflated tubeless tires with just a high volume floor pump, but a big burst of air will help quite a bit.
Do realize that tubeless works best if you ride frequently and can cope with initial fuckery.

Anonymous No. 179425

> finish bleeding brake
> take bike off stand
> dropper post explodes
> spend the next 30 minutes rebuilding it
make sure the wiper at the top of your dropper stanchion is tight. At least my dropper is super smooth again

Image not available

521x313

1661092111275510.gif

Anonymous No. 179486

>>179425
How does it just explodes? Didn't it explode while you were riding blowing your balls off?

Image not available

1010x874

1659738213978630.webm

Anonymous No. 179489

HOLY MOLY
CHECK CRC
THEY ARE SELLING EVERYTHING, ITS OVER FOR THEM. THEIR LOSS = MY GAIN
I'M GOING SHOPPING AND CONSOOOMING NIGGAS

Image not available

1440x1545

Screenshot_202312....jpg

Anonymous No. 179493

Look at this shit. Just buy the fucking XL mega frame for the EXT v3 shock and sell the frame for 1000bucks or more
And there was lucky bastard who got that 2023 bike for 660 british bucks. 8(eight) british rupees for 510 trailcross.
I'm gonna get some clothes.

Anonymous No. 179497

>>179493
>no shipping internationally
feels bad man. I remember when I built half my bike from CRC in the mid 2010's.
Luckily NS has a distributor here if I want anything, but man those deals are crazy.

Anonymous No. 179583

>>179486
The wiper came loose which has never happened on and of my bikes, so when I took it off the stand and set it down, it full unscrewed and popped up and shot out a shim.

>>179493
HOLY SHIT

Anonymous No. 179591

Today I bought another 38 elite. I don't need it, it was too good a deal I couldn't pass up. I don't even want the grip2 I find them a lot harder to set up than grip. I can't tell my girlfriend because she thinks we have no money but I keep secretly buying bike parts.

Anonymous No. 179621

>>179372
Lol just ask some neighbors if they have air compressor and thatĀ“s only if you canĀ“t start pumping with a floor pump.

IĀ“ve have done my tubeless tire with my lidl floor pump that was 8ā‚¬

Anonymous No. 179724

>>172497
should I get myself a Orbea Occam H20 LT 2022 for 1700ā‚¬? Seems like an insanely good price.

Image not available

629x711

1667921360608400.jpg

Anonymous No. 179763

>>179724
Orbeas look ugly. But price seems fine if not very used. I see them at 2kā‚¬ in local shops the same model. But I would change brakes, put bigger rotors and put a longer airshaft on the fork

Anonymous No. 179769

>>179763
I'm talking about a brand new one for 1700ā‚¬ shipped. I'm just looking for a bike I can take on some local trails. Currently I only have a gravel bike

Anonymous No. 179782

>>179591
Put it for sale on pinkbike

Anonymous No. 179793

>>179591
kek, you could have at least gone coil for something different.

Anonymous No. 179796

>>179591
damn, and I thought I had a problem with buying parts. At least when I buy something, it's going on a bike I have

Anonymous No. 179819

>>179782
No. It can go on my ebike

>>179793

This actually frees up the 36 rhythm off my ebike for a coil conversion to throw on my hardtail. That could be cool. And the marzocci kit is cheap.

Image not available

2560x1438

maxresdefault-1500.jpg

Anonymous No. 179830

>>179763
>Orbeas
Does anyone else always think of orbeez when they read that? In english they sound the same

Image not available

1280x716

1681251220629064.jpg

Anonymous No. 179858

>>179830
>he thought, all these years, it was pronounced orbEE
Kek
Its orbEa. Same E as in Electro. Not EA as in sEA. .

Anonymous No. 179891

>>179858
Or-bay-ah?

Anonymous No. 179893

>>179763
Asymmetric linkages just look wrong

Propain bikes looked stunning until I noticed the left rear triangle isnt the same as the front

Anonymous No. 179909

>>179891
E as in Electromagnetism or lEtter nigga. You don't say A-lectromagnetism.
or-bE-a, you stress the E aswell.
>>179893
Then you see the new Tyee and has headset routing

Image not available

2500x1667

Lefty-Ocho-2.jpg

Anonymous No. 179961

>>179893
>Asymmetric linkages just look wrong
What about asymmetric forks?

Image not available

768x1024

FH8TCE9HHS9SL8Q.jpg

Anonymous No. 179981

>>179961
MTB equivalent of picrel
Looks wrong But still fascinating to a degree

Image not available

668x681

1673297307044437.png

Anonymous No. 179987

>Orange pulling out of MTB aswell
>Sam Hill wont race next season
>new captcha
Its ogre

Image not available

480x308

1694557195774481.jpg

Anonymous No. 180024

>>179893
>Autism, the post
God I love mtb but I hate talking to people about it.

Anonymous No. 180069

>>178409
I was ā€œwtf is Polish Iā€™ve never heard of thatā€ but yeah obviously dartmoor is real

Anonymous No. 180136

>>180024
Good thing I am autistic and love talking about things I like. Generally people get tired and want to talk about other stuff so I concede.

OTOH I don't talk to people, and all my bikes are "kid" sized according to modern manufacturers.

Anonymous No. 180251

It's raining hard. Looks like I'll be riding road on the gravel bike for the next few weeks.
I knew this was coming, that's why I've been riding as much MTB as I could this year since the constant rain of the previous winter kept me off the mountain bike for 4 months for all of 2 rides.
Road is still fun. It's like riding really long and fast flow trails with no braking bumps, hikers, or dudes stopping in the middle of the trail to take bong rips.

Anonymous No. 180310

>>180251
i've been supplementing my mtbing with road biking. I bought a gravel bike and a full suspension on black man friday. I also have a peloton that I use almost exclusively for power zone training. riding all disciplines is based

Anonymous No. 180317

>>180251
I have been doing more road riding. Trying to get back in shape and would rather not wreck the local trails by riding in the rain too much.
I treat it as like when I workout and lift weights, hard, enjoyable and I try and go/do a little more or ride more frequently.

Yes I enjoy xc/trail riding. I am the antithesis of modern mountain biking.

Image not available

4032x3024

D6F48173-439E-4CC....jpg

Anonymous No. 180328

>>172497
Shitā€™s fucked, finally snapped under next to no load randomly
Mongoose Ardor
I can not fucking find a replacement anywhere
M3 screws

Any help?

Anonymous No. 180337

>>180328
contact mongoose. that or go to the bike hanger website, they have most hangers.

Anonymous No. 180360

>>180337
>go to the bike hanger website, they have most hange
Guess fucking what genius, not for the Ardor
Model isnā€™t even an option, and none of the ones listed for mongoose brand match

šŸ—‘ļø Anonymous No. 180362

>>180328
have you tried these fellas?
https://derailleurhanger.com/

Anonymous No. 180366

>>180360
> $6 piece of non-structural plastic that the bike doesn't depend on breaks
> bike is now useless
Fucked up that now you have to get an entirely new bike or turn it into a singlespeed

Anonymous No. 180380

Maybe go back to walmart and see if they have the part.

Image not available

1322x900

redbull drop.png

Anonymous No. 180459

>>180360
They do have it retard.

https://derailleurhanger.com/product/derailleur-hanger-485/

Go look harder before you start bitching on Mongolian basket weaving forums

Anonymous No. 180469

>>180459
Eh, slightly different geometry but the hole spacing should be good
Looks like theyā€™re real cunts about returns tho

Anonymous No. 180536

>>180469
Probably because of idiots like you. It's likely they're machined to order.

Anonymous No. 180617

New thread: >>180616
>>180616
>>180616