Image not available

1396x1042

unnamed.png

๐Ÿงต Caucasus and Central Asia grappling

Anonymous No. 179295

Why do these lands from Georgia to Mongolia produce so many good wrestlers and grapplers? What's their secret? Is sambo that good? Is it the folk wrestling variety? The climate? The food? I need to know.

Anonymous No. 179296

>nomadic steppe cultures focus heavily on meat + dairy, high-protein diets
>historically nobody has anything to do besides fuck around with animals and each other so they wrastle
>all of the states, to a tee, are impoverished shitholes
>being good at wrestling means the possibility to make a career of it and make something more of yourself than a career dirt farmer or camel jockey
>being really good at wrestling means you can try your luck in JP sumo and rake in a relative pile of cash for just being among the top ~15%

Anonymous No. 179347

>>179295
Sambo isn't special, neither is the food or the conditions they live in
The secret to why they are good at wrestling is... they wrestle. A lot. It's their national sport in many cases. I'm pretty sure Khabib or Makhachev said that wrestling is to Dagestan what football is to the US or soccer is to southern Europe and South America

Anonymous No. 179354

>>179295
>The secret to why they are good at wrestling is... they wrestle. A lot.
Wow

Anonymous No. 179358

>>179295
>Why do these lands from Georgia to Mongolia produce so many good wrestlers and grapplers?
It's what they do, wrestling is just more popular there. Also, as a Ukrainian friend of mine put it
>you're hanging with your buddies at the beach
>realize the Armenians will show up at some point
>this means fighting
>you don't want to get stomped, so wrestle your buddies to prepare

>What's their secret?
Wrestling from child and "Don't give up" mentality. I have a Chechen friend who never formally trained but came from a family of wrestlers. He was a force to recon with from day one because he had learned how to move and simply refused to stay down.
>Is sambo that good?
Dunno, never actually got to train sambo.

A few observations on the folk wrestling styles: I've had the chance to fight Tajiks - they have excellent standing grappling close to Judo but no ground skills to speak of - and Mongolians, who are easy to catch with drop seoi nage as their ruleset says that anything other than feet touching the ground is a loss. Very wide and strong base, they seemed to be more inclined to pick you up or bear hug you backwards, whereas Tajiks seemed to be more keen on dominant head control and breaking your posture. I've visited Georgia, Russia, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan as well, but didn't have time to train there sadly.

Anonymous No. 179360

>>179354
It sounds dumb, but it's true. It's why the best soccer players come from countries where kids play soccer from the day they can run and kick a ball. Take a look at any sport, and you'll find out that the GOATs almost universally started doing said sport at an extremely early age and, more often that not, grew up surrounded by the sport's culture. In central Asia, that sport happens to be wrestling in its various forms

Anonymous No. 179396

They also do a lot more general sports work at a young age. Generalized development in youth is how you really make specialized adults.