Image not available

602x400

9548AA6A-98E0-43B....jpg

🧵 Is gladiatorial combat an extreme sport?

Anonymous No. 179972

Anonymous No. 180313

>>179972
It’s a very literal combat sport. What I want to know if anyone recreates it today minus the murder

Anonymous No. 180449

>>179972
I was watching the pink Floyd doco from their Venice concert and the bird said gladiators were like the WWE

Anonymous No. 180455

>>180449
I mean, yes and no, they were supposed to put on a show and were taught to thrust instead of cut because it was less likely to kill the opponent outright. They even had specific characters and classes (yes like an rpg, I don’t know how else to describe it) that were supposed to rival other specific characters and classes. However, the fights were very much real and people did die. In fact, most common reason for a gladiator being executed is for not putting up a good enough fight.

Anonymous No. 180481

>>180455
>thrust instead of cut because it was less likely to kill the opponent outright
I'd rather have a big, shallow wound than than a small wound and a hole in organs

Anonymous No. 180486

>>180481
I meant the opposite sorry I’m dumb. Romans we’re actually really advanced when it came to stitching cuts. Repairing organs not so much.

Anonymous No. 180490

>>180455
>classes
Style would be a more appropriate term. Typical English translations use the phrase "fought in the style of" Murmillo, Secutar, etc pretty often.

Image not available

292x500

34mrm4d30.jpg

Anonymous No. 183643

>>180313
Well theres always buhurt if you dont mind the extra padding/non historically accurate armor/no horizontal blows to the head-neck area. I mean we all want to reduce the risk of concussion and/or CTE later in life and all the while keep enjoying the activity so, why not prioritize these things?

Or just make your own version with a more gladiator inspired themes and rules. I wonder though, what materials other than foam would one use for the helmets and weapons in order for it to be safe enough, considering your standard murmillo only had their standard balteus, manica and ocrea. You could try wooden weapons too and make armor out of some sort of really tough polycarbonate material, IDK man.