Image not available

1334x750

3097EAF6-160C-429....png

🧵 Brachial Stun

Anonymous No. 183984

There’s enough evidence to show that this strike does in fact work (and it shouldn’t be surprising that hitting a motherfucker in the neck real hard can knock them out) but my question is if intentional neck strikes were allowed in mma would we see this strike more often or does it only work on people who don’t know how to fight in the first place.

Anonymous No. 183992

This is a tricky one
And I'm not willing to find out

What kind of fool would agree to be the uke in that picture
So the best case scenario is he gets knocked out? And The consequences could also be severe vascular injury, stroke, displaced discs

Anonymous No. 183993

You'd be way more likely to see this in some freak reach differential match. Like Sean Sherk at 170 so he can't really stop you from setting it up at distance.

Anonymous No. 183995

>>183984
If it were allowed, which it probabaly never would be, I think you would see it quite alot. Shit like this, more true no rules fights, is why OG martial arts had such a focus on deflect/parry.
>Mobility in combat sports
Almost entirely focused on head movement. The goals are tap/ko/tko, and the intentional targeting of any vital areas is prohibited.
>mobility OG martial arts
Focused on anticipation, deflection, etc. They don't hop around & shit keeping their head moving because in the grand scheme of things, thats not the highest priority. I mean ffs, look how long it takes some niggas to get dropped by taking hits to the head. Imagine if you could attack any vital target. People wouldnt treat martial arts like they treat MMA. All the dumbshits on this board that act like its so hardcore when there are literally techniques that can fucking kill you. If you took the same amount of punches to the head it takes tk knock you out, to the neck, you'd be fucking dead.

Anonymous No. 184653

>>183984
I tried playing around with the brachial stun/karate chop with some buddies at my MMA gym. From just us fucking around trying to workshop it we found that issue is that it's hard to set up, and in the situations where you can set it up there's higher percentage options you can do instead. It's just not going to happen if the person is tucking their chin and hunching their shoulders.

Best set up we found that was consistently repeatable was from switching sides of a collar tie with inside control on the bicep. Basically just sliding your forearm along their arm and shoulder right into the side of the neck. Sometimes we'd get lucky and cause a mild stunning effect, but there was never really enough force to put someone on the ground.

Anonymous No. 184672

>>183984
>if intentional neck strikes were allowed in mma would we see this strike more often
if they were allowed people would die

Image not available

635x720

48DA91E2-9EB3-41B....jpg

Anonymous No. 184769

>>183984
If In a real life and death situation, meaning that all the damage you inflict is defensive in nature, just punch the front of the neck with a straight. You won’t need much after that.
But I insist, it’s not something you would do to anyone except to defend your life.

Image not available

854x480

Tobizaru smiles u....jpg

Anonymous No. 185067

>>183984
>would we see this strike more often

Attacks to the neck and throat are allowed in Sumo as long as they aren't made with a closed fist. They prove to be quite effective in stunning an opponent and knocking him off his feet, but rarely result in a straight up knockout. Sumo rikishi train to counter this by strengthening their necks in order to prepare themselves for this type of technique, and MMA fighters would do the same.

It's difficult to attack the neck when your opponent doesn't have much of a neck.

Anonymous No. 185643

>>183984
If you don't see it in the UFC then it doesn't work

Anonymous No. 185646

>>185643
Hard to set up =/= does not work.

Shoulder tackles "work" but hard to set up, eye gouging/pokes hard but doable, groinshots doable but only painful, wrist locks arm bends to pain compliance work but are hard against resisting force.

Headbutts are only banned for fighter safety same with biting and 6-12 elbows.

Anonymous No. 185653

>>183992
>What kind of fool would agree to be the uke in that picture
You'd be very impressed with what money can make someone do. Also, masochists maybe.

Anonymous No. 185675

>>185643
MMA is far from the perfect Darwinian testing ground people make it out to be.

Lots of shit that people never used in the UFC that people thought didn't work, until one guy started using it successfully and then it was everywhere.

Anonymous No. 186143

>>185675
>Lots of shit that people never used in the UFC that people thought didn't work, until one guy started using it successfully and then it was everywhere.
Example?

Anonymous No. 186147

>>186143
NTA, but off the top of my head: oblique kicks and calf kicks.
"Oblique kicks" are pretty much what Bruce Lee called "leg obstructions" and everyone filed that under the same category as "trapping" (i.e., bullshit) until Jones started fucking everybody up with em.
I forget exactly who/where/when calf kicks started to come into common use in MMA, but when they first started commentators were saying "hey you're screwing up that leg kick, you're supposed to aim for the thigh".

Anonymous No. 186149

>>186147
You can pretty much lump anything vaugely spinning and aerial in there too. Stuff like spinning back kick was considered bullshido in the early aughts.

Anonymous No. 186159

>>186147
>>186149
The fact that people thought these things were bullshit but then realized their validity due to mma kind of lends credence to the idea that MMA IS a very good Darwinian testing ground for martial arts techniques rather than the opposite.

Anonymous No. 186284

>>186159
Within the confines of the ruleset, yeah, but I dont think >>186147 this is true. I mean, who thought calf kicks were bullshido? I feel like any strong striker with long legs does this. Shit, i bet over 50% of kicks thrown in muay thai are just calf kicks looking for sweeps.