Image not available

1093x483

Capture.png

🧵 What fighting discipline is most practical?

Anonymous No. 207778

Kind of late in the game turning 30 soon so assume it’s best to just focus on one discipline and take lessons there. For a 6’4 man who is 200lbs and decently in shape what is the most practical fighting discipline to take up for self defense? Already have ccw but just want to be capable in a bad situation now that I have wife and kids. Involved in sports in stuff but would be a total noob in a fight despite my size. Appreciate any insight

Anonymous No. 207782

I feel like just boxing is fine

Anonymous No. 207784

Judo.

If their close enough that you can't pull out a gun in time, might as well double-down and get even closer.

Anonymous No. 207791

Something you can take that family to that still has some kind of semi real sparring. Probably gonna rule out striking, but maybe you got a hard bitch. The more readily they feel comfortable in danger, the easier everything becomes.

Anonymous No. 207797

Karate but only if I teach it to you

Anonymous No. 207817

>>207778
I'm going to say that it depends where you live.

If you live in a retarded western dystopia like I do then you probably want to do wrestling or bjj because anything that even remotely looks like a strike will get you in trouble.

I went through this recently, despite video footage of a teenager literally walking right up to me and throwing a punch at me the police tried to charge ME with fighting in public because the teenager "missed" and I did a leg sweep on him.

Police are generally illogical morons and if you do ANYTHING they think they can get you for they will try. Thankfully in my case it sounds like the prosecutor told the police how retarded they were and so the cops had to phone me and "psuedo-appologise."

You're a big boy through so you should be able to get away with just pulling guard on most people and then work your way to a pin from there.

Anonymous No. 207892

>>207778
Imho, you should train in grappling both in gi and nogi, and in striking. Totally fine if you've got a preference for one over the other two, but you should spend at least a little time training in all three.

Train striking at least enough to develop some decent striking defense.
Train in the gi at least enough to learn how to deal with grips on clothing.
Train in nogi at least enough to know how to control someone without grips on clothing.

Ultimately, your gun will hit harder than you ever will. But you must have your hand(s) free to access your gun. Therefore, winning the handfight is absolutely critical. All grappling begins with hand fighting/grip fighting. Therefore, I'd say grappling is probably more important than striking.

Important: look into Craig Douglas and Shivworks. He is extremely good at integrating/contextualizing these skills in a weapons-based environment.

Anonymous No. 209109

>>207778
Boxing/Muay Thai and Judo and learn how to shoot a gun.

Anonymous No. 209145

Boxing, high quality control, works all the time, good training, in 6 months you'll be able to dominate an untrained retard

Anonymous No. 209152

>>207778
all youre going to get is normie answers

Anonymous No. 209173

Just go to an MMA gym and in two years you’ll be able to kick the shit out of any untrained person. BJJ and judo are very effective but you’re going to spend months learning about stuff like sleeve/lapel controls and various forms of open guard which drastically lose effectiveness when the other person can punch you in the face. Don’t get me wrong, the guard is great and has its place in a fight but it’s better to learn grappling in an MMA context so you don’t get a false impression of what is and isn’t safe to do.

Also MMA sparring and competition will most importantly prepare you psychologically for fighting - the importance of this cannot be understated. You can train all you like but when the adrenaline hits and you can’t pull the trigger because you’ve never been hit before is a terrible and embarrassing thing.

t. Butt scooting guard playing BJJ faggot for three years who dabbled in MMA

Anonymous No. 209250

>>207778
Kyokushin karate and Jiu jitsu

Anonymous No. 209253

>>207778
Almost all of them are practical, none are perfect. Judo is good especially if you aren't a hoodrat around dudes that don't wear shirts, but if you are around people like that you have to train no-gi. Wrestling is good but the way most people train it make it harder to do in a real life scenarios without peeling the skin on your knee or throwing your own head to the ground on a takedown. Boxing and kickboxing are good but if you are pieceing them up and but don't knock them out fast they are likely going to grab onto you and then it will most likely be a race for you to make distance or if the other person can do a shitty takedown. Krav maga and aikido is so theoretical and situational that you will probably never be able to use anything you learn there. The best thing to do is mix everything. For example I mix my judo into my wrestling and my boxing into my kickboxing, but you have to adapt things yourself and your style to have a broad coverage of scenarios that could happen.

Image not available

1920x1080

dm_220312_DM_UFC_....jpg

Anonymous No. 209337

>>207778
I took up Martial Arts at 29 and have done Muay Thai, BJJ, Wrestling, Boxing, and MMA almost every other day for 2.5 years now. I have a similar build to you and never got in a lot of fights before. here's what I would recommend:

>If you have to do just one than do MMA. Its the loosest ruleset (elbows and knees, clinch striking, takedowns, ground and pound, chokes and jointlocks) so its closest to a real street fight with no rules, has striking and grappling, gloves are closest to bare knuckles, and includes walled surfaces

>if you cant find classes specialized in MMA, pick a gym that teaches at least 1 striking (boxing, muay thai, kickboxing) and 1 grappling (no-gi jiu jitsu, BJJ, wrestling) martial art.

>do them and see which of the 2 categories you like better and want to prioritize. do that one 2 times a week and the other 1 once. also do 20 minutes of strength and conditioning. so like 2-4 hours a week that will become your "me" time and exercise and endorphin rush... yes you can make time for it and still get 8 hours of sleep. dont be a bitch

>look for what your athletic background assists with. people that played football tend to be good at takedown defense, and people that played baseball are primed for overhand punches (same motion as throwing a baseball)

>you have to do some sparring or rolling. you dont have to go fight to the death everytime, but you have to condition your nerves so your parasympathetic nervous system "fight or flight" response wont freak you over and you can deal with that.

Anonymous No. 209338

>>209109
jiu-jitsu > judo. theres a reason that judo changes its ruleset everytime someone starts hurting people in it because theyre doing shit that actually works lmao

Anonymous No. 209545

>>207782
FPBP.
>Why?
You're first option if you can't run, should be to do the first thing that opens the running option back up. Kicking styles put the legs at risk, so thats out. Boxing.
>but muh grapples
Judo.

Anonymous No. 209547

>>207778
The best way to stay safe is to avoid the bad situations altogether. Because of this, it is more effective to look like you're a strong fighter than to actually be a strong fighter. If someone is prepared to attack you without provocation, then chances are that he's been in many more fights than you, which is far more valuable than any number of years spent training martial arts in a safe setting. Therefore, you will always be at a disadvantage, even more so if you have to worry about protecting your loved ones. Being trained in martial arts might boost your confidence, but that's a double edged sword - you still won't have that savage instinct, if you did you wouldn't need to ask this question in the first place. So, you should concentrate on making yourself look as intimidating as possible. You're reasonably tall, but not very massive for your height, so you could aim to put some weight on, for starters. Anything that makes your hands thicker and rougher would help, as would a cauliflower ear or the right kind of scar. It's also important that you feel intimidating, and truly believe that your mere presence is sufficient to deter attackers.

Anonymous No. 209635

>>207778
MMA, that's the answer, but if you can only choose one, I would first recommend any grappling focused martial art, except BJJ as it specializes a little too much for self defense purposes. Go with Wrestling or Judo. Then learn the basics of proper punching and strike defense by yourself at home, and you will be a more capable fighter than most people.

But since you are tall, people will try to take you down a lot, so going with Boxing or Muay Thai focusing on managing distance with your strikes and learning basic takedown defenses at home could also work.

So, go for one MMA or one of these 4 (Wrestling, Judo, Boxing or Muay Thai) depending on what is close to you. And after a year or two, go check out a BJJ gym as the stuff you will learn there you probably won't learn in any other place.

Anonymous No. 209641

Just hand your wallet, man. You're mich more likely to get your family killed by playing tough guy than by going with it.

Do you want to be a hero or do you want to ensure the safety of the people you love? Just practice situational awareness, avoid trouble, deescalate conflicts and if things get ugly just do what they want out of you. Fighting is absolutely last option and fighting bare handed in particular should be your plan Z if it comes to violence.

>oh but knowing how to.fight will still be good
No, judging feom your attitude learning martial arts will make you more likely to do something stupid and choose violence when ither responses would be preferable. Train martial arts for fun, self-defense is a meme that will get you killed.

Anonymous No. 209642

>>209641
And just to druve it home, you won't get better than a professional fighter, and those still get killed bt getting into pointless fights

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2022/01/maiquel-falcao-killed-in-brazil-stabbing-ufc-bellator-mma

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.marca.com/en/ufc/2024/01/16/65a6de8022601dc3048b45cd.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-62456672.amp

Anonymous No. 210048

>>207778
The art of having a decoy wallet, a second cheap phone and being aware of our surroundings

Anonymous No. 210058

>>209642
Your post is full of mistakes.

>https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2022/01/maiquel-falcao-killed-in-brazil-stabbing-ufc-bellator-mma
This guy was a brawler, he was looking for trouble, this video is of him starting a fight with a group of young people, https://globoplay.globo.com/v/2682182/, it's not a defensive situation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.marca.com/en/ufc/2024/01/16/65a6de8022601dc3048b45cd.html
This guy was killed for going to recover a stolen motorcycle inside a favela (a very common situation in Rio de Janeiro), and he was killed because he had police officers as his contact on his cell phone, it wasn't a defensive situation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-62456672.amp
This guy was murdered by a police officer with whom he had long-standing problems, it was not a defense situation.

Your post simply disproves your argument, none of these cases were about giving the attacker what he wanted, the first was a troublemaker, the second was killed for having contact with the police and the third was killed by a police officer with whom he already had problems. I leave the example of https://istoe.com.br/video-ex-lutador-de-mma-evita-ataque-com-faca-e-derruba-homem/#:~:text=O%20ex%2Dlutador%20de%20MMA,na%20janela%20de%20seu%20carro., that is a defense situation.

Anonymous No. 210115

>>210058
>This guy was murdered by a police officer with whom he had long-standing problems, it was not a defense situation.
It was. Cop wanted to start some shit, Leandro reciprocated and they fought. Cop then shot him. If he had just left he'd be alive and well today.

Anonymous No. 210117

>>210058
>This guy was a brawler, he was looking for trouble, this video is of him starting a fight with a group of young people,
You think that matters? Nobody preying on your family will be going in empty handed, if you escalate and tey to fight you'll just end up also having a fist fight with someone armed, and die just like this much better fighter did.

Anonymous No. 210453

>>207778
Boxing + abrazare/wrestling is the most effective. They both tie into each other well enough it doesnt feel like a disjointed mess.

Anonymous No. 210457

>>207778
OP, what you’re looking for is Hakkyokuken. You can open the gate with any of the eight extremities, and from there attack your opponents vital organs directly.

Anonymous No. 210503

>>210453
>abrazare
What's with this board pretending something nobody practices will ever be good, let alone the best?

Might as well recommend a school of traditional jujutsu with a heavy emphazies on atemi waza, and fuck if nobody half credible teaches that and there's no competitive scene whatsoever for you to test yourself at.

Anonymous No. 210765

WHO FUCKING CARRRRRRREEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. USE GOOGLE FUCKER

This is the #1 question for retards that don't train, and yet they keep asking it.

Anonymous No. 211932

>>207817
full story?

Image not available

1015x808

876545678.jpg

Anonymous No. 212330

Anonymous No. 212679

>>209338
traditional or bjj?

Anonymous No. 212698

>>209338
>jiu-jitsu
The sport where people get on their knees to prepare to suck dick and call it "pulling guard." Jiu Jutsu purists suck, I've seen those grapplers fail to take their opponent to the ground so they lay down and ask the referee to force their opponent to get down with them. Only people who were good at JJ were people who were Judokas first like Mitsuyo Maeda (the guy who taught the Brazilians Judo and Jiu Jutsu) for example.

Anonymous No. 212705

>>207778
>Appreciate any insight
First, look around your area at what styles are even available. No point setting your heart on Judo if no one teaches it in your area.

Once you know what's in your area, you choose between them based on which one has sparring and which one you like the people at. Better to learn Taekwondo at a place you like than not learn MMA because you hate the MMA people and place. Similarly, nothing's practical if you don't practice it full-speed.

Third, self defense is honestly not a great reason to learn martial arts. A good amount of self-defense occurs before punches start flying and martial arts as they're generally taught contain a lot of stuff that you probably won't find useful in a street fight. I've never seen a calf kick in a street fight, but you'll see them all the time in MMA, because they're pretty different contexts.

Final note; what I wish I'd given myself permission to do earlier in life is just learn martial arts without worrying about whether they're "practical." You should just learn them because they're interesting. Go study fucking Aikido if you find that interesting for whatever reason. Your odds of getting into a real fight at any point in your life are slim to none.

Anonymous No. 212709

>>212705
>First, look around your area at what styles are even available. No point setting your heart on Judo if no one teaches it in your area.
>Once you know what's in your area, you choose between them based on which one has sparring and which one you like the people at. Better to learn Taekwondo at a place you like than not learn MMA because you hate the MMA people and place.
True enough.
>Third, self defense is honestly not a great reason to learn martial arts.
I heavily disagree.
>A good amount of self-defense occurs before punches start flying
Yes, but that's not a reason to not learn how to fight.
>I've never seen a calf kick in a street fight, but you'll see them all the time in MMA, because they're pretty different contexts.
I have, here's my unwanted anecdote, A guy we'll call fighter A was once approached by two people who are the "never took martial arts but just see red" type (they approached him over a jersey, I think they cheered different American Football teams), anyways one of the guys swung a punch at fighter A's face and fighter A gave that guy a calf kick, then the second aggressor approached fighter A and he gave a teep kick that pushed the guy backwards into the ground. After one aggressor got some pain in his calf and the second one was on the ground, they decided to swallow their pride and walk away while yelling and insulting fighter A. I'd never seen such a miracle before, two troublemakers seeing reason and walking away. It might've been the kicks, or it might've been that fact that fighter A was unfazed after getting punched, but the aggressors left.