Image not available

1018x650

Both-e15016353003....jpg

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ ๐Ÿงต /cg/ - Climbing General

Anonymous No. 209791

~~Gri Gri vs ATC edition~~

>Where do I start?
People typically start in the gym and branch off outdoors and find their niche, be it bouldering, trad, sport or a mixture of the above. Some never leave the gym at all. Ultimately it doesn't matter - just get started and enjoy yourself.

>How fit do I have to be to start? Do I have to be able to do x amount of pull-ups?
Being light, strong and flexible helps at the higher levels but climbing is open to almost anyone and is fairly intuitive to most. Even if your body is feeble and weak now, you will develop strength over time by virtue of just climbing. Climbing is a holistic sport and success often hinges upon many factors, not just strength and power, but having these qualities definitely helps when you breach into the higher grades.

>What shoes do I buy?
If you're starting out in the gym, don't worry too much: get some snug shoes without dead space that don't cause you lasting pain. Some people (such as the famed shoe designer Heinz Mariacher) recommend wearing soft shoes when you're starting out -- this makes sense since your footwork will probably suck and the increased feedback will pay dividends over time. You really don't need fancy expensive shoes when you're starting out, but certain shoe properties help send harder problems (e.g. stiff shoes for standing on tiny granite edges or soft shoes for sandstone/gritstone smears).

Here are some useful resources for sizing:
>https://sizesquirrel.com/
>https://rockrun.com/blogs/the-flash-rock-run-blog/rock-climbing-shoe-sizing-guide

Old thread:
>>207446

Anonymous No. 209793

I prefer leading with an ATC. I don't care if grigris are safer, the damn thing makes it such a bitch to take up and give slack.

Anonymous No. 209810

I support this early bake. /climb/ will take over the catalog. World Cup (lead) in Koper coming up on the 6th. Janja usually goes to this one every year so i expect her to be there.

Anonymous No. 209832

>>209791
Wtf OP, why so early?
But to the question, I love the Smart and use it 90% of the time.
Pretty much everyone I know or see in climbing gyms uses the GriGri though

Anonymous No. 209932

is hangboarding or kilterboarding more reddit?

Anonymous No. 209935

>>209932
Anything indoors is reddit
>implying the same people there aren't also posting here so they try and have some internet cred