Image not available

1280x720

IMG_2152.jpg

๐Ÿงต speedflying

Anonymous No. 209972

anyone here done this shit before? i first became aware of it back in 2015 and the idea of it made me want to shit my pants but ever since i see nothing but reels on instagram of people doing it and now i know that i must. theres not too much on the internet about this though aside from some training schools, youtube comments and videos that ive found. people saying,"dont do this if you plan to have kids" but then checking the accident/fatality rate of participants and its pretty low. what kind of gear do you guys get for this shit and is this the type of sport you can expect to die doing in reality or is that just for people who are shooting for a redbull helmet, not the casuals?

Anonymous No. 210724

>>209972
I've dabbled. It was a different sport back in 2008ish when I gave it a try. I bought an ozone bullet 14m. I had
some skydiving and base jumping experience so I just transferred my knowledge of ram air canopies to my new wing and got by well enough to survive a few flights. There weren't really any speed flying schools back then so a friend and I just kinda figured it out. I mostly did sled rides but managed some high wind ridge soaring a few times. Anyway, you can't make it completely safe, but you can make it as dangerous as you want. Comparing it to other sports it's probably more dangerous than skydiving and less dangerous than base jumping. Launching is probably a little more dangerous than paragliding due to the speed, but a speed wing has a lower chance of collapse once you're flying. If you choose not to fly super close to the ground it can be made reasonably safe. A beginner wing should probably be in the 14-16m range, and by the time you downsize to a 12m wing you're starting to move fast enough to break bones on bad landings. Sub 10m wings are moving fast enough to kill you on an uncontrolled landing. I say if you can find a school near you, give it a try. It's a lot of fun.

Anonymous No. 211401

>>209972
>>210724
this dude knows what's up even if it's old experience

In the US? Go to Utah.

Get good at either skydiving or paragliding first - put a LOT of time into that and find a mentor. Speedflying is fucking dangerous and people die/get crippled all the fucking time. It is FUCKING fun tho

t. Skydiver who rips down mountains on a Leia

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 212576

Jesus Christ is the Son of God, Who died for our sins and rose from the dead to give us the free gift of eternal life. You can ask Jesus for His gift. He also promised to heal your body. God Loves us!!

Anonymous No. 213424

>>210724
is wingsuit better, seems safer in that you have the inflated plane like suit and a chute as back up or chute to end the ride, so less risk of chute failure during the ride..?

Anonymous No. 213955

>>213424
What do you mean by "better"? Faster? Safer? More bitchin?

You can make speed flying, skydiving, skydiving with a wingsuit, base jumping, or base jumping with a wingsuit as suicidally dangerous as you want. Skydiving without a wingsuit can probably be made safest out of those options. Speed flying can be made fairly safe, but the dangers of launching from the ground are present on every flight. Fucking up a launch is a great way to break bones. Landing a speed wing is almost always going to be more dangerous than landing a BASE parachute because of the speed involved. Landing a skydiving parachute can be made to be pretty safe depending on the parachute you're using as well as the fact that you'll basically always going to be be landing in a giant, flat, grassy field. Base jumping and wingsuit base jumping will always be the most dangerous because it is the fastest, most chaotic of all. Fucking up an exit can kill you pretty quick. Fucking up the wingsuit flight part can kill you pretty quick. Fucking up your parachute deployment can kill you pretty quick. There's maybe a 1 in 1000 to 1 in 10,000 chance that even if you do everything right, your parachute will malfunction and either hurt or kill you (line over/tension knots/bridle ties a knot around your pilot chute/etc.). The safest speedflight would look something like using a 16m wing to launch from a steep grassy hill in a steady 5 knot headwind, flying high above and away from the hill, and then landing in a large grassy field, or maybe a sand dune. A really dangerous speedwing flight would be something like launching a 6m wing in a slight tailwind on a hill above a cliff, and then doing a bunch of barrel rolls close to the ground while flying through windy canyons, followed by a landing on a sloped, rocky LZ. The former would be much safer than any kind of base jump, with or without a wingsuit, the latter would be more dangerous than most wingsuit jumps that have been done.

Anonymous No. 213959

>>213955
Cont.

The bottom line is that most flights with speedwings are going to be safer than most wingsuit base jumps, and most speedwing flights are going to be more dangerous than most wingsuit skydives.

All of that being said, I've done all of the above, and if I could only pick one, I would wingsuit base jump.