1920x1080

h5jz11W.jpg

๐Ÿงต How do you become an expert in Unity?

Anonymous No. 893222

I've had great difficulty learning anything in Unity, especially when tutorials are giving me a hard time. I wonder how other people learn it, and how they do it efficiently and not waste years of their time doing stupid shit or getting stuck on dumb stuff. I want to know where the source of knowledge for Unity comes from, but I can't see it. Can anyone help out?

What about you, unity users? How did you become really good?

Anonymous No. 893269

>>893222
I was already an accomplished 3D artist when I first got into unity, when I discovered how easy it was to export my own assets into the engine I was hooked.
I came from a background of modding games where getting a rigged model inside the engine was a lot like threading a camel thru the eye of a needle while inside a haystack.

I already had some basic entry level programming skills, like finished a introductory course at uni but not really having made anything substantial ever.
I also had a class in vector calc that I barely had manged to pass under my belt going in, but once I was really motivated and dove into Unity I rapidly expanded and refined these skills.
My main motivator was this ability to play interactive games where I was bringing my own artwork to life so I just binged Unity 24/7 for months on end at the beginning.

My main learning resource was the unity manual/script API that has loads of great documentation and dissecting various example projects I obtained featuring types of
gameplay and algorithms I needed for what I wanted to get into. Reading thru all the code getting ideas of what was possible and how to go about it.
Extending and modifying the existing gameplay in those examples to see if I had understood how it worked correctly was a big part of what I did early on besides writing my own stuff.
Ofc loads of googling and reading thru pages of old forum posts that already had asked my question at unity forums is where I filled most gaps in my knowledge.

To this day I've watched very little video tutorials or listened to other unity developer on youtube and such.
I do read a lot of technical papers and watch GDC/quakecon keynote type conferences on topics of interest tho.

Anonymous No. 893284

>>893267
Here's a post of mine thats kind a related to your problem

Anonymous No. 893326

>>893222
Grow a bigger brain lmao

Anonymous No. 893339

>>893269
I love this pasta

Anonymous No. 893548

>>893222
thats because you suck at maths, its all about problem solving, memorizing tutorials doesnt do much good when it comes to programming.

Anonymous No. 893636

>>893222
Google

Anonymous No. 893703

>>893222
Master your rigging tool and learn about shaders

Anonymous No. 893734

>>893548
That's only one possible issue, I find maths to be the easiest part and still struggle with it

Anonymous No. 893772

>>893269
>>893339
Is this really a copypasta?

Anonymous No. 894330

>>893222
u dont

Anonymous No. 894655

>>893222
Unity and Unreal are for niggers and fags, you will never be a real dev.

Anonymous No. 894661

>>894655
>you will never be a real dev because you use an engine
you'll never be a real dev because you haven't invented your own programming language. of course you'll have to build your own pc components before you can write that language. but you can't use any english in it, because that language has been pre-established a long time ago. i assume you already have your own mines to extract metal for your components? with your own hands of course, you can't just use already made tools.

Anonymous No. 894663

>>893222
>>893222
>>893222
>DOCUMENTATION
>DOCUMENTATION
>DOCUMENTATION
Also check'd em

Anonymous No. 894664

>>894661
Typical nigger response

Anonymous No. 894665

>>894664
not an argument.

Anonymous No. 894797

>>893284
Good advice for anything really. If you can speak English and know how to google information, you already have everything you need.

Anonymous No. 894813

>>893222
start small. you probably think you can make a complete soulslike as your first project like most beginners. make a platformer or something like that. you will figure it out eventually

Anonymous No. 894874

Started making stuff. Was pretty easy because of my high iq. taught myself art on a professional level and now am also a professional level programmer.

high iq for life.

Anonymous No. 894996

https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/Manual/UnityManual.html