972x446

tablemap.png

๐Ÿงต Help me with normal map baking?

Anonymous No. 895736

So I took the advices in >>895228 and bought substance for texture work.
But I'd still like to use my materials generated in blender for some objects that I already have texture maps for.

I made a hi poly version of this table, decimated it to an acceptable poly count limit, and tried baking normals in blender with selected to active along with a cage mesh.

But my normal maps come out really weird and stupid like in the post below. Can someone help with what's going wrong? I've used a cage mesh too.

1024x1024

help.png

Anonymous No. 895740

Also when I apply this normal map to the texture my low poly table's triangulated faces sort of stand out as well in the lighting. What am I doing wrong?
>inb4 bake in xnormal substance marmoset
I will for the other assets, I'd like to know how what the problem actually is.

1024x1024

help2.png

Anonymous No. 895744

>>895740
Ok nvm I fixed the jagged normal map faces by selecting non color on the normal map texture.
I reduced the size of the cage mesh and flipped normals. I've got this map now. how can I improve it?

1024x1024

help_completed.png

Anonymous No. 895748

>>895744
Nvm I got a decent normal map now that I've made the cage mesh even smaller for some reason?

1145x725

helpagain.png

Anonymous No. 895749

>>895748
Nvm I need help again how do i get rid of the black spots in the normal map? :(

Anonymous No. 895754

>>895736
>and bought substance for texture work
He bought it.

Anonymous No. 895757

>>895754
why? it's cheap and apparently the best for texture work.

Anonymous No. 895858

Rather than using a cage mesh, temporarily set a displace modifier on the target object and find the perfect value of normal extrusion to encapsulate the bake object. Use this value for your cage value. Discard the displace modifier and go ahead with the bake

Anonymous No. 895861

>>895858
>find the perfect value of normal extrusion to encapsulate the bake object
how do I find the perfect value?

Anonymous No. 895863

why do you even need to bake that? the high poly looks the same just more dense for no reason

Anonymous No. 895864

>>895736
Be aware this process might be painful to learn, everyone goes through it, so don't give up.

First of all, just bake normals in Substance, ignore Blender. Ignore shitty generated material in Blender, you can use materials from Substance, even those are probably looking better, but there's also plenty of free textures on the internet. Substance Source, Textures.com, Megascans etc.

Don't decimate this kind of a mesh, you'll get a bad quality low poly. Just delete every second edge loop from the table and it should be fine. You could then optimize that thin section on the bottom some more, but it will probably confuse you atm, so just ignore it, I assume you're not selling this anyway.

Bake depends on proper UV unwrap, so learn how to do it right, too.

Please go through some tutorials, I know you haven't because you wouldn't be doing what you're doing now.

Anonymous No. 895871

>>895757
you should have pirated it retard, never post on this board again

Anonymous No. 895876

>>895871
Why did you get triggered by somebody spending a bit of money on some software? Yeah, he bought a program he doesn't know how to use yet, but so what, it's not like it's your money lol

Anonymous No. 895882

>>895736
OP how hard can it be to write **"How to bake from high poly to low poly"** in youtube or google... tell me pls i want to know...

Anonymous No. 897057

>>895749
Make sure your cage covers the whole thing properly, experiment a bit with ray distance.

Anonymous No. 897364

>>895744
Instead of reducing the cage mesh and all that, just adjust ray distance like >>897057 says (it's below the 'selected to active' checkbox) and bake over and over again until the normal map looks decent.