Image not available

446x475

mfw.jpg

🧵 Stupid Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Anonymous No. 994000

When starting out in 3D, is it better to finish as many models as you can (or projects if you'd like to call them that way) and keep adding more sophisticated technologies and techniques as you learn them or is it better to just polish one model and keep adding stuff to it as you learn? I come from a 2D background and when it comes to drawing quantity is king, you should be drawing every day as much as you can. Is it the same for 3D? I would've posted this in a SQTDDTOT but there's no such thread at the moment (you can use this thread for that, if you'd like)

Anonymous No. 994002

>>994000
In the early days starting over and completing small projects can be wise to get repetition in to grow familiar with techniques
but once you start becoming proficient in 3D you can iterate on models in a way you really don't do on a 2D piece.

My character models I use today for example is a 'Ship of Theseus' that traces their origins back well over a decade but with every instance
I set out to improve some part of them that I feel have issues and can be improved. Because geometry/topology is so reusable you will reshape and
recycle portions of earlier projects and spend all your available time perfecting the weakest aspect of what was already there.

Anonymous No. 994004

>>994002
>Because geometry/topology is so reusable you will reshape and
recycle portions of earlier projects and spend all your available time perfecting the weakest aspect of what was already there.
That's something I immediately noticed, my first instinct when modeling the hands for a second character model was to just copy and paste the ones from my first one and just adjust them applying what I know now

Anonymous No. 994422

I'm doing game dev with pre-rendered cutscenes, and it's been going okay, but I'm really struggling to render things with my budget APU and I've always had stuttering just using the interface honestly.

>16x2 RAM
>AM4 socket
>solid power supply

What's a decent budget card and CPU to shoot for purely for doing 3DCG right now (the APU can't support a GPU)? Looking for best cost efficiency, I can save some of my autism euro if I need to, but I've never even owned a GPU before so I don't really know what I'm doing here.

Anonymous No. 994465

>>994422
I've made the conclusion that I'm just too poor I'll have to keep doing 3D with my APU wish me luck /3/.

Image not available

891x473

Screenshot_202409....png

Anonymous No. 994466

>>994000
I will not install it, fuck houdini.

Anonymous No. 994546

>>994466
ngmi

Anonymous No. 994548

>>994466
What do you need to use houdini for anyway?

Image not available

640x767

1622153118007.jpg

Anonymous No. 994708

surely there are cracks out there for programs like substance painter, marvelous designer, jangafx etc? all these subscription models are so jewish. I can't bring myself to paying for any of it

Anonymous No. 994728

>>994548
I want to do simulations and stuff-

Anonymous No. 994773

>>994708
The poorfags in Russia used to rally behind cracking this shit but now funny shirtless spook man is cleansing their whole demographic to die so now there's no market for it. Get to cracking them yourself I guess.

Anonymous No. 994781

>>994773
truth.

Anonymous No. 994820

Who knows where I can find architectural plans for famous buildings to use as references?

Anonymous No. 994821

>>994820
https://www.bibliocad.com/search/?term=PARTHENON

Anonymous No. 994825

>>994821
Thats pretty good, thanks

Anonymous No. 994836

I'm wanting to update/maintain a config for blender that I like using because it hasn't been updated in like a year.
I really don't know where to start I have very beginner knowledge of coding but I figured it be a fun thing to try and learn. if someone would mind pointing me in the right direction of where to start with this I'd really appreciate it

https://github.com/HEAVYPOLY/HEAVYPOLY_Blender
this is the config btw

Anonymous No. 995068

Bros I need the courses and tutorials from Rebelway. They are charging ridiculous prices ($300-$800+) and I can't find them anywhere

Anonymous No. 995069

>>994000
Is blender 4.2 worth getting or should I stick with 4.1? I'm used to 4.1 now and they have changed a fuck ton of stuff in 4.2 I've read.

Anonymous No. 995070

>>994836
If it works in blender 4.0 it should be fine to use without updating. Why do you think it needs updating?

Anonymous No. 995072

>>995069
>Is blender worth getting
no.

Image not available

1524x1732

652380235550.jpg

Anonymous No. 995077

>>995068
here are the ones on cgpeers
all of them are on bilibili but you gotta watch in 360p unless you wanna give the ccp your id

rutracker has a few:
https://rutracker.org/forum/tracker.php?nm=rebelway

i'm sure you can find the rest on the list from other places too.

Anonymous No. 995084

>>995069
I'm still fairly new, but it didn't really get in the way of my workflow. The basics haven't changed that much.

Addons would be the thing most likely to stand in your way, so if you have eleventy billion addons, you might want to wait. If you don't use many, check to make sure they still work (i don't think this broke much)

Other than that, it's mostly just going to be a few instances of "where the fuck did they move that thing to?"

But unless you need some of the new hotness, you can just wait if you're anxious.

Anonymous No. 995095

>>995069
Always update, it's easier to stay up to date rather than having to play catch up with several versions.

Anonymous No. 995167

Is increasing the sculpt's resolution the best way to deal with jagged seams like in this deep crease? Using blender 4.1. Thanks in advance.

Image not available

1001x664

9ad8c2b5cd7908240....png

Anonymous No. 995169

>>995167
Woops.

Anonymous No. 995171

I can has cool pics and/or info on 32 bits float workflow examples of any CGI software?

Anonymous No. 995251

>>994000
You should start with a CAD program actually. Get AutoCAD, learn perspectives. Do an object with different types of view, side, front, back, isometric, learn what snaps are for and then move to Revit and then 3DS Max if you can.

Blender is trash. Don't use that.

Anonymous No. 995261

I want to start posing game models, do people usually load the whole map and cut out a section for posing or do they take a screenshot and super impose their models in? backgrounds and scale kinda escape me so thats partly what i hope to learn

Image not available

2304x1692

map.jpg

Anonymous No. 995276

I'm making a series of 3D maps, this one in particular is about location, number and type of car-related accidents in an area.

I want to make a map where the higher the cylinder; the higher the amount of accidents represented. Due to me being in a peepeepoopoo third world shithole I cannot just download the map in a format that allows me to do GIS wizardry to locate and edit my volumes, instead I am only given an image. I've used this image as reference to trace where accidents happen and made a map manually by just copy-pasting cylinders and filling in their height one-by-one. I now need to do the same three more times for each type of accident

I know this is stupid and slow and want to know how can I input data. I've seen methods where you use an UV map to control the location and characteristics of a mesh or group of meshes, but the maps I'm given are low quality and have too manny details to be useful without a lot of editing. Since I already located where every single mesh will be I would like to embed each one with metadata and maybe toggle which biy of data is expressed thought height

I only learn new features as I need them, so just knowing what i should look up is enough

Image not available

1440x865

mdm.png

Anonymous No. 995278

>>995276
The maps I'm given look like this
I can only turn off the layer with the heat map, but not the background, so I'm not too sure that a geometry node liked to an UV map will be possible

the chair nerd No. 995297

>>995276
This can be done in 3ds max using a simple script.

If you have max I can write a script that does what you want.

Anonymous No. 995561

Is it cheating if I steal a part I'm having trouble with from someone else's model? I adjusted and retopoed it to suit my needs but I'm not sure...

Image not available

869x463

blockbench.gif

Anonymous No. 995729

anyone knows why my null bone doesnt have any effect in blockbench?

Anonymous No. 995766

>>995561
Is it cheating if you copy someone else's book report and change a couple of sentences? Does it feel good and save you time?

It's an ethical dilemma whether you value your book report to be a reflection of you or is cool with it fraudulently being perceived as such by your audience. Only you can make that call violator.

Anonymous No. 995774

>>995766
I ended up making peace with it because this entire field is based upon ship upon ship of Thesseus

Anonymous No. 995816

>>995561
I think you're cheating yourself of a good exercise, but if it's not an exercise and it's production work then there's no such thing as cheating

Image not available

720x959

photo_2024-06-26_....jpg

Anonymous No. 996140

I want to make a small Unreal Game to get the hang of it. Thought it would be cool to make some preset face parts (nose, eyes, etc) in Blender or ZBrush to scroll through. From the way I see it everything would have to be modularized as much as possible. How can that best be achieved? I'm not concerned about animation as of currently. Just the general process.
pic unrelated

Anonymous No. 996192

how do you guys get over that "anxiety/fear" feeling you get when you think of starting a project? be it animation or whatever, i just cant seem to ever put my ideas into work because of this feeling

Anonymous No. 996193

newfaggot here
what's the go to place to pirat- uhh download random 8k textures and materials?

Anonymous No. 996511

I'm trying to figure out how to do wiggle bones without relying on gimmicks like addons. So far I've figured out that three (well, four) types of behaviour are necessary for what I want to do:
- The wiggle itself: this can be done with damped track constraints on the previous bone on the chain
- FK controls: this can be done by duplicating each bone with the damped track constraint in the chain and giving them a copy rotation constraint targeted on each deformation bone
- Collision: this can be achieved with physics simulation but that sort of defeats the purpose of using damped track constraints and FK. I still haven't figured out how achieve this
- (optional) IK controls: I think it would be neat to control the appendages that need wiggle with IK but I'd like to figure out the first three points first+

How could I get a setup that achieves the first three points?

the chair nerd No. 996513

>>996192
Stop using social media.

Image not available

1184x687

uhh.png

Anonymous No. 996516

Is there a way in Blender to space these vertices evenly, or would i have to just remake the entire model

Anonymous No. 996518

>>996516
With my limited knowledge I would try going into sculpt mode and using the slide relax tool while holding shift

Anonymous No. 996562

>>994708

aHR0cHM6Ly9ydXRyYWNrZXIub3JnL2ZvcnVtL3RyYWNrZXIucGhwP25tPXN1YnN0YW5jZSUyMHBhaW50ZXI=

aHR0cHM6Ly93MTQubW9ua3J1cy53cy9zZWFyY2gvbGFiZWwvU3Vic3RhbmNl

Image not available

1630x1275

Screenshot_202409....png

Anonymous No. 996589

I'm trying to bake a texture but it comes out black, any ideas?

Anonymous No. 996601

>>996589
I've figured it out, it's cause there's shader to rgb node in my procedural texture

Anonymous No. 996791

>>994000
anyone know where i can pirate solidworks? preferably the 2022 version, but i'm not too picky

Image not available

649x649

bwaaaa2.png

Anonymous No. 996804

How much, approximately, would it cost me to commission someone to do textures for my model? I can provide a fully rigged model + ref sheet (drawn)
I can sculpt, I can model, I can rig too but I'm hopeless at textures..
>It varies by
I'm just looking for a ballpark figure

Anonymous No. 996815

>>996804
If you've done that much work already why not just learn how to texture yourself? you could try and bridge the skill gap with flat colors + a toon shader

Image not available

1024x1024

1726390756739952.png

Anonymous No. 996816

>>996804
Strange, you can´t into texture? What software are you working on?

Anonymous No. 996818

>>996816
Stop posting garbage aislop

Anonymous No. 996857

>>996804
>I'm just looking for a ballpark figure
Sorry bro, you said it yourself.
>It varies by

Anonymous No. 996887

something about the blender community really irks me but I don't know what other software to use if I need a lot of beginner help & tutorials. maya? max?

Image not available

695x563

genuine pain.jpg

Anonymous No. 997140

Are there any good tutorials for Maya scripting and specifically creating plugins for Maya? I may or may not try to create a one (specifically an implementation of the Diamond-Square-Algorithm) as my bachelor's thesis, and the only resources I found are one Youtube playlist that doesn't explain everything I need and a 10 year old reddit thread.

Anonymous No. 997155

>>994000
what software should i learn if i want to create game-ready characters like the ones in nintendo games, including rigging them and animating them
not going to get into realistic since that's just not my style
i was told zbrush will be the core for modelling the character
other tools would focus on re-topologizing, unwrapping, texturing, and baking
i don't know if i should re-learn blender since i used to work on it like a couple years ago and haven't gotten back to it since
i would also like any tutorial recommendations that show how a concept is converted from its 2d design to the finalized 3d asset, ready to be put into a game engine

Anonymous No. 997210

>>997140
>uni degree in le games
It's over

Anonymous No. 997217

>>996887
use what you want, every software has beginner-level tutorials

Image not available

598x597

retopquestion.png

Anonymous No. 997224

I'm going to retopo this model manually. Is it better to do with and try to preserve the muscle structure (with more verts where the muscles crease) or better to just go over the whole thing as if there weren't there. Either way I'm still going to make a normal map from this, just not sure if the retopologized mesh should also have visible muscles.

Anonymous No. 997235

>>997224
add shape to your breast pecs
nigger
go over the lower body flatly, normal maps will work
faggot
add more detail and sculpt out your actual high poly mesh
tranny

🗑️ Anonymous No. 997263

>>997235
Thanks bitch
I already have all the detail I want on the high-poly. I'll just go over the abs flatly though I guess it'll still preserve some detail because of shrinkwrap but make specific loops for the pecs. Figure if I really want more detail later then just multires + sculpt

Anonymous No. 997264

>>997235
Thanks bitch
I already have all the detail I want on the high-poly. I'll just go over the abs flatly though I guess it'll still preserve some detail because of shrinkwrap but make specific loops for the pecs. Figure if I really want more detail later then just multires + sculpt

captha: HR0VMJ

Anonymous No. 997290

>>997264
i can literally count the vertices on your nipples
nigger your baked maps will have artifacts and blocks in them
go up to a 100k in zbrush or whatever sculpt program ur using and smooth the entire model more out

Anonymous No. 997293

>>997235
>>997290
stop swearing you seem extremely insecure

Anonymous No. 997300

>>997293
Nigger

Image not available

512x512

animation.gif

Anonymous No. 997325

Question: I'm finished rigging a model and adding all the rig widgets and everything, it's ready for animation.
I want to create animations for a game I'm making in Unity 3D, but I just wanna know, am I supposed to create a new project and import everything I've made onto there and just make animations in it, or should I make animations in the same project? How does it work?

If anyone has good vids on where to go on making animations from here, let me know. I don't need any advanced stuff, just simple and fast tutorials or guides that explain the crucial foundation so I can explore on my own a bit and find new vids that help.

Image not available

1036x668

screenie.jpg

Anonymous No. 997366

>>994000
how to configure wretched array into randomly assorted lines (this is for making a bunch of pipes, scribbled edges have been added to show desired result)

I don't want to use geometry nodes unless I absolutely have to

Anonymous No. 997367

>>994708
m0nkey has a good crack on adobe products (which includes substance painter)

Anonymous No. 997405

>>994000
bump

Anonymous No. 997586

>>997210
actually it's somewhat of a hybrid between digital media and computer science, we learned very little about games.

Image not available

553x403

Black and White P....png

Anonymous No. 997706

What did I do to cause this? Some of my planes are Dark when the standard is Light. I'm in Solid mode in Viewport Shading, so it should not textures or lighting. Checked the Normals and did not seem like it.

Anonymous No. 997735

>>996516
Not an expert on this topic. But I think that's what the remesh modifier is for.
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/modifiers/generate/remesh.html

That should clean it up a good deal, but if you need it to be entirely clean, you'll need to learn how to retopologize.

Image not available

250x251

we just dont know.gif

Anonymous No. 998374

Is there a way to make triggerable animations? I have a car with lots of openable panels and doors (usually parented to an empty that acts as a pivot), how can I have separated animations for each doors (empties) that I can trigger separately?

Anonymous No. 998409

>>998374
I don't know much about animation, but is that not what "actions" are for? If I remember correctly, you can sort of contain animations in blocks. Think of them as the animation equivalent of an object. Everything contained within an action works independently, and you can move the actions around and tell them how and when to get triggered.
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/animation/actions.html

I don't know much more than that. So you'll have to search up actions or NLA(Nonlinear animation) to learn more.

Anonymous No. 998575

Both are good approaches

Image not available

500x281

F91Md7C.gif

Anonymous No. 998676

Where/How can i learn shaders in blender?

I am looking for an extensive resource.
From what i have gathered, shaders heavily rely on applying math.
I DO have mathematical knowledge, i know what's a sine/cosine/tangent/cotangent and how these trigonometric functions are graphed.
Same with arcsine, arccosine, arctangent and arccotangent, i know what they are and how these trigonometric functions are graphed.
I guess my problem is that i have no practical knowledge of how to use them.
If you asked me to use an arctangent in a shading workflow i would draw a blank, because i don't know a practical application for it, just what it is an it's function graph.
Math classes focus mostly on theory and solving equations while blender is all about practical application.

If any blender shading expert could help, it would be most appreciated.

Anonymous No. 998723

>>998676
"Expert"? Around these parts? Nah. However, the CGMatter guy knows a lot. His tutorials are fast. Just pause to follow along. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDBZ7CwlfIs

Anonymous No. 998725

What's with this bot that bumped every thread? Does this happened a lot in this board?

Image not available

880x1070

for the love of god.png

Anonymous No. 998726

for the love of god someone who uses fusion360 help me, I'm about to blow my brains out

I can't delete any nested shapes in sketches and I just get these red lines. I click the rectangle I don't want and hit delete but nothing happens.

My goal is to use loft to make a duct out of the outer rims of some shapes that I offset but loft just makes a complete solid out of the outermost shapes and I don't know why

Anonymous No. 998733

>>998723
That was exactly the tutorial i was watching before posting.
I got the gist of most but some parts like using inverse functions and vectors in 3d space confused me a little.

Anonymous No. 998734

>>998733
I can't help you with inverse functions. But I can tell you this: shaders are all about making the pixels on screen change colors via math. There are a million different ways to achieve this. But it pretty much boils down to defining how close points are. It's all distances, distances, distances.
I'm still pretty much an amateur, but I'm starting to get the hang of things. And what I do, is I visualize points in a 3D space. It's kind of hard, because I don't have the best ability to visualize. But I manage. It also helps to sketch out points on paper.

Do you have any models? You can use geometry to help you see vectors in 3D space. I'm not sure how much I should explain, because I don't know what you know.

Anonymous No. 998739

>>998725
i was about to ask the same thing, idk if its a bot, schizo, or weirdo

Anonymous No. 998767

how do i start learning maya?
i am pretty much a noob with blender, but i can at least understand the workflow and it feels easier to model stuff in blender thanks to the hotkeys
it seems maya has a completely different workflow

Anonymous No. 999054

>>994708
Private trackers.

>>994773
Boring /pol/troon failed at derailing a thread.

Image not available

1920x1080

lighting.png

Anonymous No. 999055

Bro why is my lighting so shit in EEVEE nobody else has lighting that looks this pixelated and scuffed.

Anonymous No. 999059

>>994708
i downloaded stuff from filecr, and never connect that pc to the internet
i dont know if it will still somehow damage my pc desu

Anonymous No. 999150

>>994000
How hard is it to make a coomer vn in renpy using blender renders and perhaps animations? Is there a way to do it in engine or do you just kinda slap in images and videos

Anonymous No. 999151

>>999150
I've been playing a game exactly like this in recent months.
There are free versions which are basically full but released with few weeks delay compared to patrons.
You can download it and research how it's structured and see how that looks like in game.
It's called "Waifu Slut School".

Anonymous No. 999153

>>999055
the voxel resolution of your volume is too low

Anonymous No. 999211

Can you make any money making low poly stuff?

I seem to like doing it

Anonymous No. 999215

>>999211
Only thing I can think of is just comissions, maybe advertise on dnd subreddits? Making ocs and such, I doubt people would care about lowpoly smut/nswf so probably not that. Or solo/indie gamedev but that's obviously a whole different thing, lowpoly ps1 nostalgiabait is a trendy one if you can master it

Anonymous No. 999334

>>998409
>Nonlinear animation
Cool I didn't know this was the term, I'll look into it.