Image not available

763x593

cube.png

🧵 /beg/ - Beginner's General

Anonymous No. 995292

I see /ic/ has a /beg/ thread often and figured this might be a good place to have one as well.

If you're already proficient in 3D, use this thread as a way to help new people grow with either tutorials you know of or general advice. I'll grab any that are good and try to stick them at the top of each new thread if this takes off

If your a /beg/ use this thread to ask questions or to post some of your works you've done.

Also, try to avoid the donut tutorial. We get enough of that on this board as is.

Image not available

1553x870

1726499494702654.png

Anonymous No. 995474

literal first sculpt that isn't the half-finished doughnut. I'm trying to do something slightly more engaging than blindly copying the guru for 12 hours. what am I fucking up so far?

Also, what are the basic commands for snapping to cursor/a point/world? I can't seem to figure it out and I think the tutorial I've got kind of going in the background has different maps than me.

He seems to be saying hit right click, s, then some other shit but once I do the first two it switches me from extrude to scale

Anonymous No. 995491

https://youtu.be/KfTrr6BMULM?si=jErXuFecJQDaeLID

Found this tutorial today. It’s nice for game dev types because it gives a full character model tutorial and then also adding into an engine (godot)

Anonymous No. 995492

>>995474
I’m not a pro or anything but for a first sculpt that looks nice! If anything, I think the only real thing to consider is maybe blocking out the idea first and then sculpting so you have the full basic shape first and then add the details

But you seem to be doing just fine without it lol. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous No. 995502

>>995474
What part of this is sculpted?

Anonymous No. 995515

>>995474
shift-s

Anonymous No. 995528

>>995474
That's not a sculpt, that's called poly modeling. Anyway just model and get it as good as possible, don't think too much about what you might be doing wrong, because at the end of the day you'll only imporve by doing, you will get better with each and every gun you'll make

Image not available

640x512

1713926422657612.jpg

Anonymous No. 995560

>>995492
Thanks!

>>995515
Ah, thank you

>>995502
>>995528
You're right, new enough to not know the terminology I guess. But yeah second anon is right I just need to keep going.

Having said that, haven't made any progress since then because I'm not sure how I want to model the chamber/bolt

Anonymous No. 995646

>>995560
Personally, I'd model the charging handle and barrel first and then do the chamber. That way, if you want to animate this at all later down the line, you'll be able to match it up better since the barrel will directly connect to the chamber and then you don't have to worry about moving things as much around to make it just right

Image not available

1058x594

2024-09-17_20-02-....webm

Anonymous No. 995648

second day using blender, just been making ocs for now. any advice is appreciated. im a turbo beg and only started 3d modelling at all yesterday.

Image not available

240x298

Screenshot 2024-0....png

Anonymous No. 995652

>>995292
so, I have an issue, and usually I'm pretty fast to figure them out but...

>donut tutorial
>solidify modifier
>part of the base mesh layer (not part of the solidify layer) had upscaled wrong, leaving a littler triangle
>saw it after adding the icing solidify modifier
>deleted the 3 faces and reconnected them
>turn solidify modifier back on
>2 vertices are all the way back inside of the model, and attached to the wrong vertices nearby their original spot
>can't get the specific vertices to move

????

Image not available

1122x888

Screenshot 2024-0....png

Anonymous No. 995654

>>995652
nvm, just deleted the modifier, found out I had missing faces, just empty vertices, added them, and then redid the modifier

Anonymous No. 995718

add subdivisions freeze subdivisions dynamesh z remesh reconstruct subdivisions go to lower subdivision this shit still confuses me

Image not available

638x744

tracker_front.jpg

Anonymous No. 995733

>>995292
How do you guys go about retaining the info you learned after doing tutorials? So far I've done the donut, a sorcerers desk, and a low poly restaurant scene. I'm at the point where I'm able to follow a tutorial that doesn't have any voice over but actually trying to make something on my own I'm finding to be very tricky. Seems like my brain is having a hard time retaining when and how to use certain tools for the job.

Maybe I should go back to basics and make something extremely basic on my own? I tried to make pic related on my own and failed pretty hard. I think the tutorials gave me a false sense of progress in what I am capable of creating

Anonymous No. 995775

>>995733
1. take notes when you do a tutorial, even one a short one if it's got a cool tip in it. you'll thank yourself later. do this especially for things you're not going to do often. you're just starting so just keep notes on everything, but later on it's for stuff you touch like once every couple of months etc.

2. do your own projects and learn to look up solutions/tutorials for specific things you'll get stuck on. that info sticks the most. if you can get direct feedback from someone better than you, that helps even more.
since you're early on and you just want to know you can look something up in case you get stuck, you can kind of do the project backwards - find a tutorial you like the end result of. don't watch the tutorial and try and make the end result yourself; if you get stuck you can just look up what you need to do.

Anonymous No. 995868

I'm too scared to start learning. Is it really that complicated?

Image not available

1470x880

jc.jpg

Anonymous No. 995894

>>995868
some dude who made an incredible short film on his own said something that stuck with me. some guy commented on the video how he will never get to his level. the creator responded by saying it's really not hard and it just takes a lot of doing. I think that resonates with me because as I keep going myself, I kind of see how you can make complicated and impressive looking things by simply going through basic steps that all add up to the final product

just keep making shit over and over is the bottom line. I also really like Carmack's work philosophy that can be applied to anything

Anonymous No. 995895

Is the down arrow useful in blender? I spilled some droplets of water on my keyboard and the down arrow doesn't work anymore

Anonymous No. 995896

>>995895
I don't think I've ever used the down arrow in blender

Anonymous No. 995908

>>995896
thanks, and what about ">" and "v"? i think v can be used to paste something rgiht?

Anonymous No. 996020

>>995894
Thanks for writing this. I grew up drawing a lot and am probably at a beg to intermediate level. People at my university said I was good when I took art classes. However when I first started, I could only go ahead with stick figures. This is some much needed hopefuel anon, thanks for sharing it. You're right, even if I suck at 3D, I have to just jump in and start. I'll document my process so I can see how I progress while continuing everyday

Image not available

2560x1361

Screenshot_2024-0....png

Anonymous No. 996021

I tried making a 256 texture, but it looks like i just used the pencil tool in paint. How do I need to change the model/UV mapping to get better results.

Anonymous No. 996062

Where do you find reference images?
I'm struggling to find a character with similar enough proportions to what I want in a good enough pose that I can use.
I'm still a turbo beginner, so I need all the help I can get.

Image not available

948x864

46784796.jpg

Anonymous No. 996067

(Maya) I need to put a vertical edge loop here but the edge loop tool is locked into only sliding horizontally, how do I fix this?

Image not available

341x368

4325435.jpg

Anonymous No. 996069

>>996067
Nvm I fixed it, I had a bunch of extra vertices left over from a previously deleted edge loop. Once I got rid of those I can place edge loops on the piece vertically again

Anonymous No. 996101

it can be kind of slow here, anyone know of active forums where lots of people post?

Anonymous No. 996103

>>996101
discord of your preferred 3D program

Image not available

621x712

1713032047586362.png

Anonymous No. 996128

i am a scultptorrr :DDD

Anonymous No. 996138

>>995474
Generally speaking, if it's a different part, model it separately. No need to combine and extrude from one model, make multiple models and piece it all together.

Anonymous No. 996599

Are there other websites like models resource for downloading videogame models? I just want to animate my favorite game characters doing funny things and totally not stuff like Kasumi from dead or alive getting raped by axel from twisted metal.

Anonymous No. 996641

>>996021
what is this uv mister anonymous, oh my

Anonymous No. 996642

>>996062
post your character, pose and wants of proportions

Anonymous No. 996678

Blender noob here, is there a way that I can use one object to "cut out" space from another? I.e. put a cube on top of another cube, and cut the intersection? That's how I did things with Autodesk Inventor like 10 years ago. I've tried insetting/deleting faces but I'm not very good with that

Anonymous No. 996680

>>996678
enable bool tool (in addons), select both objects and use Ctrl+Keypad Minus

Anonymous No. 996689

>>996641
I have no idea, i made a seam, unwrapped and tried texture painting
My understanding is so poor I don't know where I could even start to improve

Image not available

1958x1446

Live in Ze Pod.jpg

Anonymous No. 996748

How can I create a flat mesh made of equilateral triangles? I want to create an irregular geodesic structure

All approaches create a square topology, when I turn their faces into trigs I get square triangles. The closest I've got was taking a large icosphere, cutting it and sculpting that to the shape I want, but the way I'll be making the rest of the structure I would rather start with a flat plane, like a nubs surface and then turing it into a mesh with a triangular topology.

Anonymous No. 996765

>>996748
If you can into Python, try:
https://github.com/meshpro/pygalmesh
If you can into SDF formulas, it's able to generate equilateral triangle meshes from those.

Image not available

702x673

534636.jpg

Anonymous No. 996776

How can I fix this? I tried inserting an edge between the two verts to delete the face but I cant seem to get the tool to cooperate

Anonymous No. 996777

>>996776
I also am unable to delete any edges or verts, it doesn't do anything even with CTRL+Del

Image not available

995x689

file.png

Anonymous No. 996805

How do i proceed from this?

Image not available

1616x1316

Hailey.png

Anonymous No. 996807

Got this model to see how AAA stuff is made.
https://www.deviantart.com/nekopixil/art/FBX-Hailey-The-First-Descecdant-3D-Model-DL-1094931798
Not sure where to place most of the textures though. Color and Normals are easy enough but the rest I'm not sure what it's for and where to connect it.
Namely the pink and multicolor ones that have ID and P in the name. Not sure where the iris textures go either, tried all the meshes surrounding the eyes and none seem to map properly.
Also the armature isn't having any effect in Pose mode, maybe it relies on the ID textures?

>>996776
>>996777
Use the knife (K) and connect the vertexes, I think that's what you want?

Anonymous No. 996808

>>996807
ID maps are used in texture painting using substance painter for example

Anonymous No. 996810

>>996776
>>996777
try deleting the large face first, dissolve the floating edge, and then fill the hole?

Image not available

1012x661

Screenshot 2024-0....png

Anonymous No. 996821

Oh we learnin up in this bitch

Image not available

1252x720

mayaquestion.webm

Anonymous No. 996823

>>996776

Anonymous No. 996832

is there a way to make a shadow light in blender eevee? like something that shoots shadows instead of light. using a toon shader if that matters

Anonymous No. 996835

>>996599
https://www.models-resource.com

Anonymous No. 996944

Any info out there on creating PS1 type vertex snapping/dithering in Maya? There's a ton of tutorials for Blender but I'm having a hard time finding how to do it in Maya

Anonymous No. 996982

>>996835
>>996599
im sorry for being a retard i just forgot the first part of your post directly pointing out you were looking for an alternative to models resource

Image not available

2529x1479

005.jpg

Anonymous No. 996996

Can someone explain to me what the fuck is going on?
I've just got a rectangular box, each of the corners with a bevel weight of 1, and the other edges 0.25, and it's giving me some seriously fucked up geo. Scale is applied, normals are facing the correct directions.
Setting the inner miter to arc kinda works, but it still has that weird pulling and bulging (adjusting the shape doesn't change it either).
I've never seen shit like this before on something so simple.

Anonymous No. 996999

>>996599
open3dlab for sfw
smutbase for nsfw
deviantart has loads of game rips

Anonymous No. 997004

>>995292
i hope this is the appropriate thread to ask this question
i want to get into creating game-ready assets
what do i need to know about the workflow and tools?

Anonymous No. 997014

>>997004
what style do you want to go for
realistic AAA pbr or low poly, or stylized

Anonymous No. 997025

>>997014
stylized, like nintendo
i am also thinking i would focus on characters instead of props, since that seems more advanced

Anonymous No. 997037

>>997025
first there's lots of cracked programs you will need to install to have everything cover the workflow

first is zbrush for sculpting which you will stay with for your entire life, then topogun 3 for retopology which i personally use, then rizomuv for UV'ing, marmoset toolbag 3 for baking and rendering if needed and lastly substance painter for texturing

blender is shit with those, don't bother with addons

Anonymous No. 997040

>>997037
blender is good for poly modeling and general things, so you can download it for free off steam or something. i always have blender as my foundation program to build upon

Anonymous No. 997048

>>997037
yes, i figured i shouldn't bother with blender since everyone keeps saying it's not an industry standard software
i think i get the general idea, from scratch to finish
should i also be learning maya then? i assume it is used when creating game-ready character models? or for rigging and animations?

Anonymous No. 997051

>>997048
you could do it with blender but i personally had a shitty experience with it looking at excessive lag during playback and so on, i would go to maya for rigging and animation which was very smooth for me. mayas strength is rigging, animation and hair, so its definitely used to further develop an game ready character

you can add me on my dump discord ill send you my 3d tools shit over @616xy

Anonymous No. 997066

>>997004
>>997048
>industry standard software
>game-ready character models
lol, lmao even

Anonymous No. 997067

>>997048
a lot of game artists use marmoset to show off their work (and easily send it to unreal since there's a shader template which converts 1:1, not sure about unity though) so i don't think it even matters if you make it in maya or blender
also photogrammetry is an extremely popular way of making game assets at the moment so learn that i guess

Anonymous No. 997099

>>997048
>shouldn't bother with blender since everyone keeps saying it's not an industry standard software
you spend way too much time on here

Anonymous No. 997108

Are there any tutorials that focus on dimensions? I just can't wrap my head around how they make things like beds or chairs look normal sized next to characters.

A single model on my project? Easy, I don't have to think much of its dimension/proportions, just get it to look like the reference, but how do I know which size is a bed? A can? A tea cup? A book? How do I decide on a unit of measure?

How do I make things look proportional if I don't have a ruler?

Anonymous No. 997110

>>997108
dimensions.com
Also get a ruler.
A ruler, a meter stick, a tape measure, and one of those flexible tape measures like tailors have.
It's also handy to have a dude to plop into your scenes to use as reference. Extra handy to know exactly how big he is in whatever units you use.
Extra extremely super big-dick handy but not necessary, a properly configured VR setup (with proper scale) to look at your scene in real scale to see if it feels right.

Anonymous No. 997111

>>997108
uhh chud, are you lacking that much in life experience? you see these things everyday. i eye it all the time and get normal sizes

Anonymous No. 997171

>>997108
reality has dimensions, your CGI software has units and thus dimensions, simple as, do the math

Anonymous No. 997172

>>997171
No my software doesn't, bullshitter

Image not available

1045x653

crease.jpg

Anonymous No. 997280

What would be the best way to redirect these edges in order to get rid of the crease when smoothed?

Anonymous No. 997304

>>996982
No worries anon
>>996999
Thanks!

Image not available

998x126

fish.png

Anonymous No. 997361

as a /beg/ myself, this is one of the best youtube comments i've ever seen. Please be careful frens. don't follow tutorials blindly or all you're ever gonna be able to make is donuts and shitty toon shaders

Anonymous No. 997363

>>997361
This is why I like the mario @ elementza videos because his tutorials are more along the lines of what makes good topology rather than a step by step guided build
https://youtu.be/Sj2EiQWbtIQ?t=852

Anonymous No. 997364

>>997361
>>997363
Using your analogy, it's like teaching a fisherman how to setup/use a fishing pole rather than how to catch fish

Anonymous No. 997365

>>997364
come on now. You cant start with the donut tutorial. To get anywhere you have to start at a lower level, like writing an open gl or even vulkan program with a basic shader.

Anonymous No. 997388

are there any sites where i can download cracked software like maya and photoshop?

Image not available

2820x768

edges.png

Anonymous No. 997391

I am a novice with blender and i keep running into this issue.
Basically my edges are not curves, they are like /\ . I wanted them to be curved rather than pulled points WITHOUT deform the existing mesh.
See pic here.
The edges could easily go in a curve without change the mesh at all, but it still chooses to go in a /\ way.
I tried subdividing the mesh, in case there is any "pulling" going on that causes that shape, but nothing.
I have seen face meshes where the curve is rounded rather than pulled so it's totally possible.

Could any blender expert explain what am i doing wrong?

Anonymous No. 997438

>>997361
>>997363
>>997364
>>997365
in that case, can you recommend what to follow to not get lost in tutorial hell?

Anonymous No. 997439

>>997438
there is no tutorial for escaping tutorial hell. just don't blindly follow along. shaders for example. they are a popular thing to make tutorials on. so rather than just absently grabbing nodes and placing them where people tell you to, learn what the nodes do and how you can apply them to your own stuff.

🗑️ Anonymous No. 997440

is there any way i can animate a fbx model without using blender?

i really fucking despise blender and do not want to use it. im also too broke to afford the popular alternatives

Image not available

1662x1556

the_lamia_1909-both.png

Anonymous No. 997443

Started a routine today to study classical paintings to trying improve my understanding of composition. I'm not totally satisfied with the results of my study today, but hopefully things improve. We shall see.

Image not available

1358x761

6ada91563b8ce82fa....png

Anonymous No. 997462

I'm very new to blender, so I do my cubes in sketchup and then import. I'm learning how to make an asset for cities:skylines, and I see that this window in game has concave specular effect, while the window right next to it is flat. I check the model and I see this. It is a flat surface is sketchup, and there's no increase in poly count. If I delete it and refill then its flat+triangles. I clicked around the menues randomly and somewhere I saw that its some shader, that I turned off, and the surface became flat, like I expected.

What the hell was that, why did it appear, how can it be controlled, what it can be used for and where can I learn more about this specific thing? Seems very powerful for low-poly, since it rendered ingame somehow.

Image not available

2100x800

comparison.png

Anonymous No. 997490

>>997462
There's a couple ways to do this, and the choice is yours.

See the Teal lines running along most surfaces? These indicate hard edges to a render. For example, the window on the right, which is shaded correctly. Add this to the window on the left by selecting the edges around the glass itself, press Ctrl + E -> Mark Sharp.

Otherwise, in face select mode, click the face for the window, press Ctrl + F -> Shade Flat. The former will be more consistent with the rest of model than the latter, but they both will achieve the same thing in this particular case.

Anonymous No. 997491

>>997443
You can only get better. Keep going.

🗑️ Anonymous No. 997494

>>997391
Looks like standard behavior to me. As far as I can tell. I'm no expert though. Subdivision is causing the point to fall into the average of the neighboring points more or less. That appears to be where it should be. You probably should fret over that. But if it's really bothering you, you can probably get it to curve the other way by simply pushing the vertices around. Push the point with 5 edges to the right. And the inside of the eye down and to the left. Using the sculpt tool "elastic deform" makes it easy. Should only take a couple of corrective nudges. Don't go crazy.

🗑️ Anonymous No. 997495

>>997391
>Looks like standard behavior to me. As far as I can tell. I'm no expert though. Subdivision is causing the point to fall into the average of the neighboring points more or less. That appears to be where it should be. You probably shouldn't fret over that. But if it's really bothering you, you can probably get it to curve the other way by simply pushing the vertices around. Push the point with 5 edges to the right. And the inside of the eye down and to the left. Using the sculpt tool "elastic deform" makes it easy. Should only take a couple of corrective nudges. Don't go crazy.

Anonymous No. 997497

>>997391
Looks like standard behavior to me. As far as I can tell. I'm no expert though. Subdivision is causing the point to fall into the average of the neighboring points more or less. That appears to be where it should be. You probably shouldn't fret over that. But if it's really bothering you, you can probably get it to curve the other way by simply pushing the vertices around. Push the point with 5 edges to the right. And the inside of the eye down and to the left. Using the sculpt tool "elastic deform" makes it easy. Should only take a couple of corrective nudges. Don't go crazy.

(Don't look at my shameful deleted posts)

Anonymous No. 997506

>>997443
I really like the lighting

Image not available

728x386

Capture.png

Anonymous No. 997519

>>997490
It is somehow permanently fucked now. All combinations of "make sharp" on edges and "shade flat" just produce this. It was ok after import. I think setting the normals caused this.

Anonymous No. 997521

>>997519
(autosmooth on normals was on)

Image not available

1280x720

maxresdefault.jpg

Anonymous No. 997527

Where did all the "Blenderella" reference material go? Seems like a few years ago she was everywhere. All I can find now a screenshots. Anyone have these references? I remember there were headshots, T Pose, A Pose, etc... Pic rel

Anonymous No. 997528

>>997527
Ive heard she did porn. maybe try searching for that?

Anonymous No. 997530

>>997528
I found it. She's on 3d.sk, her name is Anetta Keys. Found out about the porn while looking. Such a shame, especially that she got into it at such a young age.

Anonymous No. 997533

>>997527
What's the story behind this? Why did they pick someone with such an assymterical face? Why didn't they line up the proportions properly?

Image not available

1302x1065

cowboy.png

Anonymous No. 997553

weird grainy things in eevee. what's the deal? they go away when I disable shadows from either the render settings or the sun lamp settings. but I don't want to disable shadows. on 4.2.

Anonymous No. 997555

>>997533
It's an introductory series on YouTube for modelling a female character. As far as the proportions not being fully aligned, I don't know. This is just a thumbnail, so it's possible that it's better aligned in the video, I don't remember. I think the face as modeled with a mirror modifier, so the asymmetry isn't a huge issue.

Anonymous No. 997556

>>997530
thanks for reminding me that 3d.sk exists.
a damn shame they pixelated all pics where they show genitals
because that ofcourse was their priority, not making the site actualy browsable (it's straight out of the 2000s)

also how's the porn?
>>997533
she cute

Anonymous No. 997557

>>996805
What is your end goal?

Anonymous No. 997558

>>996805
go to the anime thread and watch the videos in the OP >>997198

Anonymous No. 997559

>>997556
>thanks for reminding me that 3d.sk exists.
No problem. I occasionally use it for reference material, although, as you pointed out, it can be quite cumbersome to use.

>also how's the porn?
I don't watch porn. I only saw a few lewd pictures. As I said in my previous post, I feel badly for that she chose to involve herself with such activities.

Anonymous No. 997566

I think sculpting is actually going to make me kill myself. It feels so unnatural. I've just box modeled and done vert-by-vert modelling the whole time I've been into 3D, but I want to be able to make people. Even with a tablet, my attempts turn out looking like mashed potatoes and kindergarten scribbles. I don't feel like I have any control, like I'm trying to do calligraphy left handed after soaking my hands ice water for an hour. Thank you for reading my blogpost.

Anonymous No. 997568

>>997566
try sculpting in VR, its much better than pancake sculpting and closer to irl sculpting. Get a quest 3

Anonymous No. 997583

>>997566
this is what i fear too
i am okay with 3d modelling, but now that i want to get into characters, suddenly, i have to change the way i make these things

Anonymous No. 997587

>>997361
I don't know anyone who's nearly as bad as I am at learning through practice, which makes this doubly frustrating for me.

Anonymous No. 997588

>>997566
Gotta get good, and sculpting alone won't allow you to make bodies, you have to learn anatomy too
Try sculpting an object you're familiar with, it'll be easier than learning two things at once

Anonymous No. 997589

>>997566
The most enjoyable things to practice sculpting for me are landscapes and trees. In landscapes margin for error is basically infinite, you just do whatever with any sculpting tools and it's all good (and you can get used to different tools this way), if something looks too off, smooth it out and try something else until it's cool, and in landscapes this happens rather sooner. With trees just put a cube, then use snake hook with dyntopo enabled, it's amazing and super fun. Can't imagine doing this on tablet though, I only do this using a mouse. Tablet only for texturing. In general I find it kinda difficult to work with tablet in 3d. Texture painting inside Blender is also hard for me, I prefer to do it in Krita.

Anonymous No. 997593

Is one 24" monitor good enough for 3d or do I need 2 monitors?

Anonymous No. 997601

>>997593
it's enough, but two monitors feels better
use pureref to have your references on top of your 3D softwares

Anonymous No. 997752

>>997568
What do you use to sculpt in 3d with a quest?

Anonymous No. 997753

>>997752
you used to be able to use comfy adobe products

Anonymous No. 997767

>>997566
I was lucky enough to have a lot of experience with my drawing tablet before getting into 3D. So by the time I had to sculpt, it was an easy transition. The way I accustomed to my tablet, was to remove the mouse and be entirely dependent on the pen. It will never feel quite the same as drawing with a real paper and pencil, but you can still learn control, regardless of the strange feeling.

When I started 3D, I didn't get into real sculpting immediately. Rather, I encountered a tutorial that showed me how to box model, and then use the sculpt tools to move vertices around. Perhaps you should try that out for now, and then work your way up to full sculpting.

Anonymous No. 997770

>>997767
i want a display tablet. I just cant get used to a regular tablet

Image not available

902x1280

Final-Fantasy-X__....png

Anonymous No. 997859

I'm new and I want to learn and improve simple and proper hard-surface modeling. I really do not want to fall into the youtube tutorial trap of amateurs teaching bad habits and it's so hard for me to discern what's good vs what's bad. Can anyone recommend, free or paid, a well known or respected course/individual that I can follow start to finish?

Image not available

1889x937

kksakdaskdsa.png

Anonymous No. 997870

>been using blender for over a year
>still struggle to make some of the most basic of fucking shapes
>pic related, even with an image as reference it's a challenge, tried it multiple times and can't get it to work
what's maddening is that I can make things more complicated than this, but every so often I just completely fail at the simplest of things, especially when it's low poly modelling
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Anonymous No. 997874

>>997859
some very good courses on CG Boost, two of them being free, all very modern with great teachers
CG Cookie also has two free courses and then a paid giant course which will teach you absolutely everything there is to know, all recently updated to be relevant for blender 4.2
if you set up a 30 day trial for skillshare you can snag some beginner courses (I'll link two down below), just download the videos using something like Internet Download Manager and then cancel the subscription
if you want more, Polygon Runway have some good stuff, and this course from YanSculpts looks decent too
if I had to pick just one of these though it'd probably be the CG Cookie Core Fundamentals

https://www.cgboost.com/courses
https://cgcookie.com/courses/blender-basics-an-introduction-to-blender-4-x
https://cgcookie.com/courses/press-start-your-simple-first-blender-project
https://cgcookie.com/p/core
https://www.skillshare.com/en/user/johnknowles
https://www.skillshare.com/en/user/southernshotty
https://polygonrunway.com/
https://yansculpts.gumroad.com/l/intro3dblender
check this out too >>994481

Anonymous No. 997889

>>997870
Maybe it might help to draw some lines that suggest the wireframe of the object on the drawing, that way you've kind of thought it out beforehand. It probably won't be an exact match, but it might give you somewhere to start with.

Image not available

2107x2328

fg.png

Anonymous No. 997949

>>997889
idk man I think I'm just fucking retarded or something. I drew this which is simple as hell, a front side and top-down view all made with guides to match the proportions
split a cube in half, mirror and line it all up, move some verts to match the image and it just fucks up royally, even if I keep a window open for all 3 views at the same time
I hate this shit

Anonymous No. 997953

>>995733
>How do you guys go about retaining the info you learned after doing tutorials?
You made me realize something, I'm not a beginner anymore and the truth is you just don't retain much of the tutorials you watch. I maybe remember 5% of the hundreds of tutorial I've watched. What you >will< remember is when you manage to solve a problem when doing a project.
Also when you start having lots of projects, you can go back and check how you did something when you need it again. Finally, no matter what you level is, you always end up searching on Youtube to troubleshoot something, so don't fret too much about learning from tutorials, practice will make you learn.

Image not available

792x789

file.png

Anonymous No. 997954

>>997870
>but every so often I just completely fail at the simplest of things
Yeah, in 3D often the simpler it is the harder it gets, I noticed that too
>>997949
Your blueprint is wrong on the side too, it should look more like this for the mouth and the eyes

Anonymous No. 997971

how would i go about fixing this topology? do i even really have to? its going to be a static object, i just want to be doing it the right way

Image not available

2212x1005

TOPOLOGY.png

Anonymous No. 997972

>>997971
im retarded here is the picture

Anonymous No. 997975

noob: shift + a > add cube
pro: shift + a > add plane > r, x, 90

Image not available

2036x1219

Screenshot_202410....png

Anonymous No. 997976

>>997491
>>997506
Thanks anons.

>>997566
Suicidal sculpting anon here. I gave sculpting another go. Just sat down for about 1.6 hours and made this. Pic rel is first attempt at a skull. It's not perfect, but it's a start. I really want to git gud at human anatomy. Want to be able to make beautiful depictions of the most beautiful thing in creation: the human body. First step on a long road.

>>997568
Might look into this. That's an interesting idea
>>997583
I agree. It's a completely different beast than hard-surface, etc...
>>997588
Will give this a shot. It makes sense how sculpting familiar items could increase proficiency with the tools.
>>997589
>Trees
Interesting thought. Especially for stylized or low poly trees (like something you see in Morrowind) I could see this having some application. I usually make my trees with the skin modifier if I want something with style, and don't feel like using Blender's sapling plugin.
>>997767
At some point, I would like to get back into to drawing. Did it almost every semester in High School, but I let my skills lapse. Went through a phase in life where I was just bored/disillusioned with art. Juggling too many personal projects to return to 2D currently.
>>997870
I understand where you're coming from. The same is true in drawing. Trying to draw a pristine face with no wrinkles is more challenging that drawing an older face with tons of wrinkles. Much less margin for error. Flaws become easier to spot.
>>997972
Depends, do the four holes need to have the same number of sides, or can they be lower poly? With the right topo, you can get the smoothness back with subdivision. Also, what application are you using this for? If it's real-time and the shading looks good enough, then there's not much reason to correct the topo, especially if isn't the focus of the camera or anything like that.

Image not available

1685x735

TOPOLOGY1.png

Anonymous No. 997979

>>997976
>Depends, do the four holes need to have the same number of sides, or can they be lower poly? With the right topo, you can get the smoothness back with subdivision. Also, what application are you using this for? If it's real-time and the shading looks good enough, then there's not much reason to correct the topo, especially if isn't the focus of the camera or anything like that.

im trying to make a very realistic model of a thermometer i have irl, its mostly just for practice, i might do a render once im done to showcase it for personal progress i doubt i will export it to any other program i mainly want to really grind my fundamentals including topology and just being able to make things accurately, more so wanting to know how an experienced person would go about something like this, i feel like such a noob connected all verticies one by one on the back and it just looks sloppy to me

Anonymous No. 997980

>>997979
I'll take a stab at the topo after work tomorrow and post a screenshot. Keep in mind that I'm not exactly a topo wizard myself, but I've got some ideas. Keep in mind that it's okay to take a couple of stabs at a model. Feel free to just keep working on it and see where it takes you. Once you have that model, messy topo and all, take another stab at it after you evaluate the shape, and how you might make the edges flow.

Further, don't be discouraged. Shapes which are simple in the real world can sometimes very difficult to do with clean topology in the 3D-modelling world. You're doing fine!

Image not available

2559x1390

Screenshot 2024-1....png

Anonymous No. 997983

wtf did I do to my animation... I imported a .png as a mesh or whatever and just did a simple turn animation but the file was blurry so I went to turn down the Tint to 0 and I must have toggled something else. I was messing around with the viewport render settings too just out of curiosity and I think I broke something...

Anonymous No. 997984

>>997980
thanks i appreciate that anon, and you are right it gets way more complicated even with stuff like a little thermometer, i think i will take your advice and make a revised version after finishing the first one, thanks for taking the time anon i'll be checking the thread later

Anonymous No. 997991

>>997983
Looks like your file is missing, open the Shader editor (in the button just left of "Action Editor" there) and check if your .PNG wasn't removed for some reason
> I went to turn down the Tint to 0
Where and how did you do that?

Anonymous No. 998039

>Learn how to MASTER Animation in Blender! [FULL COURSE]
>75% of the course is a tutorial on how to delete the default cube and explaining what a viewport is
i hate blender tutorials

Anonymous No. 998048

>>998039
Accessible software will always bring in a huge amount of grifters so unfortunately you have to weed through them to get the good shit. Or follow maya/3ds tutorials and recreate in blender which is a good exercise in itself

Anonymous No. 998049

>>998039
i accumulated shittons of blender tutorials during my planning phase and i think that 90% of them will be useless to me

Anonymous No. 998051

>>998048
>Or follow maya/3ds tutorials
i have done that actually, it is a really good suggestion. significantly less content on youtube, but the quality is really fucking good. a lot of explaining why you do certain things rather than just telling you to follow their exact moves.

Image not available

1920x2090

topo.png

Anonymous No. 998052

>>997984
I didn't model the panel on the lower part, I may come back to it, but you might find this to be helpful.

When you make your revised model, on the bezel, bevel you corners with slightly more geometry (I think I did eight edges here; preferring powers of 2 can be very helpful.), and then add some extra loops running around the bezel. Square quads are your friend, as they'll make the shading look better when you cut holes in it. I made my holes with booleans, using cylinders with a number sides equal to the number verts that will surround them. For example, you can see that my holes have 12 sides, and the quads it occupies in the grid have 12 verts around their perimeter. This lets everything connect nicely (I would be happy to make a step-by-step with screenshots if you want).

As far as the protruding panel on top, the idea here is make your edges follow the form of the shape. You can see how my edges go at 45 degree angles at the corners. Subdividing this as it stands will cause it become an oval, or circle. But with the support loops, it will maintain it's shape much better.

The blue edges represent beveled edges. This is equivalent to beveling with ctrl + b. However, in this case, you can see Blender is taking care of it automatically with a bevel modified. You sacrifice a minuscule amount of control over you geometry in exchange for blender making managing your topo a bit a easier. Experiment with this, as it is very powerful. Often, support loops are just bevels in disguise. The bevels are often critical for maintaining sharpness in the shape. You can assign bevel weight to an edge in the CTRL + E menu. Also experiment with crease edges (again, assignable in the CTRL + E menu).

Also, note the positioning of the triangle. Place these in flat spaces so that when you subdivide, distortion from the triangle will be none, or very minimal.

Anyway, this topo isn't amazing, but I hope it gives you some ideas.

Anonymous No. 998058

>>998052
wow that looks way more intuitive than what i did, Thanks for the info anon I really appreciate you taking the time to show me all this. I'm going to try to do it like you did when I revise the model. i gotta keep studying topo so i can get to a point where i can know how to do stuff like this too, topo seems to be one of the hardest things for me to learn its really acrane knowledge

Anonymous No. 998089

>>998052
hella pro anon, hella pro

Image not available

1360x841

Screenshot_202410....png

Anonymous No. 998115

Another Skullpt. About 2 hours. Looked more closely at reference images. Want to do my third skull tomorrow with a jaw bone, and experiment with placing major muscles on it. I think this one is a little bit more realistic. I used more reference images and paid closer attention to them this time, and I think the finished result appears less cartoon-y. Another step on the journey of learning anatomy.

>>998058
No problem, my dude. Topo definitely takes time to learn. For me, it almost feels like a programming language. Once you know the fundamentals, you can do many things with it.

>>998089
Thank you. That is very encouraging to hear.

Image not available

1104x617

Screenshot_202410....png

Anonymous No. 998116

Yes, definitely an improvement, especially the face. Left new, right old. And at < 1/3 the verts.

Image not available

1152x548

file.png

Anonymous No. 998140

very new to blender so pardon if im just retarded

can someone tell me what i am missing? i am trying to basically snap the edges or faces of hexagons together to form a grid (like shown on the right) but every time i try out the snap feature it doesnt play out as easy as the youtube tuts make it seem

Anonymous No. 998144

>>998140
Turn off "Align Rotation to Target" and "Snap (The magnet icon)". Select one of your hexagonal cylinders, and move it away. After, move it with [G], then hold [Control] and move it a vert. Should snap to where you want. If not, try again, and know that the position of your cursor relative the geometry/object you're trying to move effects which vert it snaps to. Turning of snap is optional. I just find it easier to do it more manually by holding control.

Image not available

1280x720

new to blender.webm

Anonymous No. 998145

>>998144
i get the feeling theres something fundamental that i dont understand yet that these tuts assume i already know

Anonymous No. 998146

>>998145
Strange. I will look into it more tomorrow in the afternoon and get back to you.

Anonymous No. 998147

>>998146
appreciate the help. at this point its an internal ego battle of needing to understand why i dont understand more than the end result

Anonymous No. 998148

>>998145
You may want to use 'base point' snapping if you need objects to stick together at SPECIFIC points, using verts, edges, faces etc. as the reference point, not the object origin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfr5ULxQ0Rg

Anonymous No. 998150

>>998148
Not he anon asking, but holy fucking shit, that makes snapping so much easier. Which I knew about that long ago.

Anonymous No. 998152

>>998148
ooh that kinda nice thank ya. this was one of the vids i was watching to but making a honeycomb grid wasnt working with it. is there a decent repeatable way to do the basepoint snapping to make a grid? if not thats plenty fine i think i got ahold of blender enough to not lose hair with what you showed me

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gRH3bjsFl1A?feature=share

Image not available

1464x736

normal map inverted.jpg

Anonymous No. 998188

I'm learning normal maps.

Everything looked good but then I noticed that on one side of the model the effect is convex, and on the other it is concave. Both sides are using the same spot on UV map and on normal map. There was a mirror modifier previously but I applied it a while ago. Is tangent space flipped somehow on half of the model? I have a feeling this shouldn't be happening because I can't imagine a scenario where it's useful. But I cant find the answer because the answers I get are about flipping normals, which is a different thing entirely?

Anonymous No. 998192

Is there any resources beyond donut guy? I can't watch youtube tutorials without clicking on some other slop.

Image not available

540x960

1726500770533392.webm

Anonymous No. 998196

>chapter 8 of look alive is 40 parts
i know i need it but fuck

Anonymous No. 998205

If I'm planning on doing exaggerated and not very realistic-looking things (environments, claymation-ish, links awakening style shit etc.) is it worth learning sculpting or can I get away with only modelling

Image not available

1874x926

show.png

Anonymous No. 998210

How do I git gud at UV unwrapping?
How do I UV unwrap pic related?

Image not available

1202x678

Screenshot (28).png

Anonymous No. 998213

hey im new to blender how do i make this im having trouble with making the hoop and the lines and snapping them on

Anonymous No. 998218

>>998210
imagine its a papercraft, and you need to cut it so it lays flat. seams is where you cut it

Image not available

979x875

Screenshot_202410....png

Anonymous No. 998236

Skulpt #3

Experimented with adding a jaw bone. Needs work. Need to learn how to sculpt really thin stuff like the jaw bone. No basic teeth this time around. Going experiment with attaching muscles tomorrow. I think this is an improvement over my 2nd Skull, but the difference feels less than the improvement from my first to my second.

Anonymous No. 998247

>>998236
I did something similar when I learned to sculpt, you should look at real skulls and plaster cast of skulls
A lot of stores have photos with all angles, I used this one for reference https://boneclones.com/category/adult-skulls-general/human-anatomy#view=grid&category=391&page=1&pageSize=30

Image not available

1920x1080

lighthouse tut.png

Anonymous No. 998341

simple lighthouse scene i made following grant abbit's blender's beginner course

Anonymous No. 998375

any good maya tutorials for understanding the workflow? modelling seems to be very different than blender in maya
i also want to learn how to create optimized topologies for models

Anonymous No. 998387

I've created an animation for a character using Auto Rig Pro bones in Blender. Is it possible to save that animation and use it for another character in a different project?"

Anonymous No. 998403

>>998213
Looks like a waste of time to me. Just bring the 2D image itself into blender. That would be better than spending hours learning how to make some noob artist measurements in 3D.

Anonymous No. 998411

>>998341
the blues are wrong, could be improved, perhaps using a touch of purple and richer shades of blue, I'm thinking blues with a bit of green in it for the darkness and blue with purple for the lights
if you don't get it, study painting, photography and digital image retouch

Anonymous No. 998440

>>998411
thanks, im just trying to learn blender and modeling atm

Anonymous No. 998579

Cool idea, bro.

Anonymous No. 998736

does anyone know why my lights dont properly render in blender 4.2, next img is what the render preview looks like

Image not available

1920x1080

modular dungeons 1.png

Anonymous No. 998737

>>998736
forgot to attatch the render, next one will be what the render preview shows

Image not available

1920x1040

image_2024-10-16_....png

Anonymous No. 998738

>>998736
>>998737

Anonymous No. 998776

i have imported a model that has already been unwrapped and textured, but i am not able to view its seams even when following the "uv editor -> uv -> seams from islands" method
what am i doing wrong?

Anonymous No. 998780

Any other tutorials for blender on how to make people? I'm sick of making doughnuts and monkeys and shit.
>dipping your hand too far in the pot
I know but I want to make people, not food.

Anonymous No. 998794

>>998780
give bran´s video series a try. looking back on it, there´s definetely some blind leading the blind type of advice in it, but it´s a decent starting point

Anonymous No. 998831

>>998794
>definitely some blind leading the blind type of advice
i feel like that applies to most youtube blender tutorials

Anonymous No. 998919

>>998918
cross posting but dungeon tutorial completed

Anonymous No. 998953

>>998776
My guess would be that the model has split vertices along it's UV seams, which typically happens to models when exported to different formats (to/from game engines, rips, etc.). Every UV island becomes a separate mesh piece. Seams from Islands doesn't mark the borders of each mesh piece. If you merged all vertices by distance, then tried Seams from Islands again it would probably work.

Anonymous No. 999028

>it's a wind up with 90k tris for a "low poly" artstyle character episode
no one is dumber than me

Anonymous No. 999057

>>998953
i downloaded a .fbx asset from models resource because i want to study it
i was able to view the seams on the mesh when i merged the vertices, but the shading got really weird
was it supposed to have split vertices in order to not look weird? it's so confusing, especially because i want to figure out how these pro developers create their game-ready assets

Image not available

293x404

file.png

Anonymous No. 999066

>>999057
Shading gets weird because of incorrect normals after merging vertices. One way to fix that is with a data transfer modifier. Before merging vertices, duplicate the mesh. Merge vertices by distance on one, add a data transfer modifier to it. Set the original model as source, check Face Corner Data and click Custom Normals. Might need to change the mapping, Topology should probably work.
When working on ripped models it can be good to take these steps to clean up the model. I do it when modding games. Just be careful when merging vertices if the model has double sided or overlapping faces, such as on some skirts, capes, etc. or if the model has morphs/shape keys.
The model maker probably didn't split the UV seams, that happens when its sent to the game engine. You'll see that if you ever check vertex counts in Unity or Unreal Engine, amount will be higher than what Blender shows.

Anonymous No. 999139

I'm trying to attach high heels to a character. I created a shape key for a pose that fits the heels. After that, I reset the pose and reapplied the rig in the modifier. But now, when I rotate the thigh, it gets deformed. How do I fix this?

Anonymous No. 999142

>>999139
sounds like not only do you have bad deformations but you are going to have to do a ton of counter keying

Anonymous No. 999145

>>997601
I find that one monitor is more like what you'll get when you're employed in studio. You can also feel more in the zone. That being said I am on a small 24" ips 1080p monitor and I want a 32" oled but I hear that burn in is an issue for desktop use which is why I hear that you should wait for the next display tech

Image not available

1280x720

maxresdefault.jpg

Anonymous No. 999164

Anyone have workflow videos of people making small maps like a rural street/ town on blender?
not for rendering, i just wanna train to make environment assets and background with just texture like a video games, but i wanna see what steps people are doing first and how people get creative with modifiers if possible with Blender.
i was playing old 2000 games and thinking "hey it still looks nice"

Anonymous No. 999167

>>999066
thanks
i followed this procedure and i am now able to view the shading on the model properly, but only when in object mode
when i switch to edit mode (or uv edit tab) the shading gets weird again, and i think some parts of the mesh inside also have that visual when two faces overlap

Anonymous No. 999192

>>999167
There's buttons at the top of the modifier to make it visible in edit mode. Or you can apply the modifier to make it permanent.

Anonymous No. 999193

>>999192
post your delicious 3d modelling feet

Anonymous No. 999201

>>998196
aoer2 final chapter is 84 parts, 40 is nothing. also it's mostly timelapses iirc

Anonymous No. 999209

>>999139
would help if you could post a webm. probably a weight or parenting issue.

Anonymous No. 999217

>>999192
ah okay
sorry, i am a noob

Anonymous No. 999239

>>995292
>try to avoid the donut tutorial
I've seen this posted a lot ever since I started lurking, but no one EVER explains why, or links to better resources.

Anonymous No. 999256

>>998210
Imagine as if it was papercraft
In your case, you want to cut the sharp edges
Select the object, switch to edit mode, look at the menu at the top of your viewport, choose select/sharp edges, then ctrl+e, mark seam
Press u to unwrap, open the little window at bottom left, choose "conformal" as method

Angle based is only better when the object is very round, so conformal gets you better results most of the time

Image not available

1918x1007

MODELING.png

Anonymous No. 999285

Anonymous No. 999286

>>999285
I had to run out of the room and posted without my question. I'm trying to paint my model but only black shows up and I don't know how to fix it.

Anonymous No. 999318

I have noticed that if I press dot (.) in the outliner to go to my object I think I have selected while I'm actually still in pose mode, it takes me to the bone I still have selected (since I couldn't select an object without leaving pose mode).
However it also expands EVERY SINGLE NODE in the entire collection, so I have to shift+click expand/collapse on the collection to close them all again and open them back up one by one. Why the fuck does it do that?

Anonymous No. 999331

>>999318
Jus how it is, man. It's what it's :^)
If you press - on the numpad you'll close entire chunks of the outliner at a time. Tap it like 3 times to close all the collections.

Anonymous No. 999339

>>999318
>it also expands EVERY SINGLE NODE in the entire collection
No, it doesn't, not in 4.2 at least. It expands the parent(s) of the armature, and expands the armature itself to show the selected bone.

Image not available

2560x1440

blender1.jpg

Anonymous No. 999340

>>999339
yes it does in 4.2, I just did it again. I press period while in pose mode and everything in the entire scene that uses the posed armature expands down to the Armature modifier.

Anonymous No. 999341

>>999340
You're right, the armature modifiers are what do it. I should've tested it on an actual character rig file.

Anonymous No. 999347

What do you do after you reach a milestone, like a goal you've been working towards for weeks and then you share it on socials and you get upvotes. Where do you go from there?