Image not available

1140x1520

pic unrelated.jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 116984

I'm thinking of practicing a striking martial art (I have to decide whether it's taekwondo, muay thai, boxing, etc), but I'm a pussy and I worry about getting my teeth knocked out, I had some trouble with my gums in the past, but I would say it shouldn't be a problem now.
Would you recommend one martial art over other if I worry about stuff like this? Like, is Taekwondo less intense than Muay Thai, for example?
Either way I think I'll use at least a mouthpiece for sparring, maybe headgear to avoid cauliflower ears, idk. And I don't mind being the only one using them, but I think I would rather not be the only one. Are there some martial arts where people are more likely to use protective gear?

Anonymous No. 116985

>guys i want to learn how to drive but im scared of the noise loud engines make

Anonymous No. 116987

>>116985
I mean, yeah, I admit that I'm being a pussy, but I'm trying to turn my life around and try new stuff, and since it's something new it's bound to fill me with doubts.
But I don't think anyone would like getting their teeth knocked out, and most people would like to avoid it, unless they have that tough guy act. It's not like I'm worrying about bruises or something, I'm not even worried about injuries in my arms/feet.
The thing is that I'm probably exaggerating and maybe getting your teeth actually damaged is not really likely to happen if you're not an idiot, that's why I wanted opinions.

Anonymous No. 116989

>>116987
Just stop caring.

Image not available

660x480

facekick (1).webm

Anonymous No. 116996

>>116984
You have to use a mouthpiece + headgear for tkd sparring. You will likely get hit in the mouth once or twice during sparring, though almost always on accident so it's not likely they will just deck you in the mouth. Competition, well, the face is a legal target, and it's hard to avoid if you are throwing a front kick, side kick, back kick, etc to the head. It's not too common though, I wouldn't worry about it.

I've never done MT, but I would assume they use mouthpieces at all times, and maybe headgear for sparring.

Anyways, talk to your doctor/dentist.

Anonymous No. 117005

>>116984
bruh, just wear a mouth guard

Anonymous No. 117007

>>116996
Yeah I should be fine I think, I'll talk to my dentist about it whenever I go there, but it shouldn't be an issue.
I have some tkd and boxing gyms near me, but the MT ones I checked are further away, and the longer I spend getting there, the more likely I'd get burned out.
Also I think kicking is more fun than punching, so tkd it is.
Thanks!

Any opinions on tkd in general, by the way? I've read it kinda sucks for self defense, but I don't mind honestly. I think it's cool as a sport.

Anonymous No. 117014

Don't mind me, I'm just here for the unrelated pic

Anonymous No. 117039

>>117007
It’s very cool, builds great athleticism and has le cool kicks. Just that the competitive sports of tkd are lame even when compared to karate

Anonymous No. 117040

>>117039
Yeah, it sucks to watch as a sport. Do you like ITF or WTF schools more?
I'm thinking that the ITF ones are better, because they also teach you other stuff like punches, and they're not bounded by that olympic leg fencing stuff, like the WTF ones.

Anonymous No. 117041

>>117040
Both org competitive rules are hard to watch. Overall there aren’t many differences between them, ITF is marginally better but still no face punch.
If you want to move to other combat sports later pick ITF and perfect the 1-spin kicks, if not just pick whichever focused on le spin the most

Anonymous No. 117042

>>117041
Yeah my intuition tells me WTF is too focused on making you win at olympics so ITF is probably better.
Right now I'm decided for TKD, but I still feel I would like to do Muay Thai or boxing at some point, so ITF would be better for that too.
I'm not entirely closed to WTF though, I think I would like to compete at some point, I'm 30, so it's not like I'll get that good, but it could be something like a local amateur-ish tournament, if there's something like that, but there is competition for ITF too, so idk.
Thanks man.

Anonymous No. 117043

>>117042
In my experience amateur WTF tourneys are for kids primarily. For adults they have weight classes but people who compete have probably done it since they were a kid already. And there’s the scarcity of such tourneys, you should definitely ask the dojang for information regarding that

Anonymous No. 117058

>>117042
Don't do TKD at 30 years old man. Just take the long trek to the MT place or find an mma/jiu jitsu gym that closer and also has kickboxing classes. TKD is fun and flashy but it's also bogged down by retarded TMA stuff like kata/forms and infrequent sparring.

Your teeth will be fine if you wear a mouthguard, you don't usually have to worry much about cauliflower ear as hobbyist pure striker.

Anonymous No. 117081

>>117058
Yeah but why is my age an issue? I know tkd is popular with kids, but will I be the only 30 year old there or something? If that happens it will be kinda awkward, but otherwise I don't see the issue. I'm not sure if I dislike kata stuff really.
But look, I think I can also try just regular boxing, there's this boxing gym really close to me. Honestly I'm probably afraid of being hit too hard on the head, but I'd say that's a fear I should conquer. I can also just go with headgear for sparring, even if I'm the only one wearing that. Obviously the mouthpiece too.
I'll give it more thought I guess.

Anonymous No. 117083

>>117081
I’m>>117041, do tkd if you like it, but work on your mobility hard since you’re 30 already.
It’s okay to be scared of getting pooned in the head, CTE is a real concern. In my xp boxing gyms have aggressive sparring where everyone tries to kill you, headgear won’t help with your head being knocked all over. MT not so much and you can get light technical sparring.

Anonymous No. 117102

>>117081
You will certainly be the only 30-year-old white belt. I just don't think TKD is going to be fulfilling at your age, and will ultimately disappoint you. Boxers tend to spar really hard, at almost, if not 100%, power. But some gyms have you go lighter with a partner if you're a beginner or you clearly state that you are not interested in frequent hard sparring. That, or you just don't spar. Doing these things might make you a little ostracized from the rest of the boxers, though. Muay Thai, MMA fighters, and kickboxers tend to spar lightly but with intensity, much healthier than boxers. FYI headgear has been proven to not prevent brain damage, but does prevent scarring, cuts, bruises, etc.

Anonymous No. 117128

I think you've gotten as much as you can from 'desktop research'. It is time to visit both the TKD and the boxing clubs. Thier timetables will be important too. Get a sense for what the average week looks like at each: The class structure. The coaches. The vibes. Demographics. Etc. Then reassess. Once you start having fun you wont be worrying about getting your teeth knocked out that much I think.

Anonymous No. 117208

>>116984
I'd recommend Muay-thai. They're extremely effective while also being super chill on the sparring. The reason they make those weird noises is to show their sparring partner that they're just playing around and not taking it super seriously. With boxing you're more likely to run into dickheads (100% opinion I have no idea never boxed) and TKD isn't the most effective.

Anonymous No. 117210

>>116984
Had a tooth split in half during a mosh pit. Doesn’t hurt nearly as bad as I expected it to and no one notices I have a fake tooth unless I tell them. Also just wear a mouth guard retard. Everyone does because it’s retarded not to.

Anonymous No. 117463

>>116984
See >>117460

Also, WTF style mandates usage of headgear and a mouthgard, ITF doesn't always. That might sound safe compared to MT but, in MT 90% of the kicks will be to your legs/ribs. In TKD any competitive gym will have a ratio of atleast 50% head kicks.

As for I or W; pick the best instructor, the styles are mostly unimportant beyond protective gear.

As for Kata and kids, most places barely do kata so just ask how long they spar each session and when you go in and watch it should be clear if the club is moe kid or adult oriented.

Anonymous No. 118121

>>116984
do muay thai/wrestling

aslong as u show up consistently u will stop being a pussy bitch

Anonymous No. 123791

Are you wanting to learn a striking martial art for self defense? If so, dont do tkd, at all. Do boxing for its practicality. But if just for a fun hobby? I still dont recommend tkd because its gay as hell, do mauy thai instead

Anonymous No. 128061

>>123791
bjj is better for self defense?

Anonymous No. 128088

>>116984
Do taekwondo

Anonymous No. 128089

>>123791
Muay thai is more versatile than boxing.

Anonymous No. 128107

>>128061
Yes, but judo is best.

Anonymous No. 128115

The #1 problem with taekwondo (at least in the USA) is quality control. Make sure you choose school/instructor carefully. This anon >>117463 is right in saying
>As for I or W; pick the best instructor, the styles are mostly unimportant beyond protective gear.

Image not available

1280x720

mma fighting.jpg

Anonymous No. 128647

how to start a fighting sport? I have trained some regular weightlifting and i know getting a PT is the biggest scam of them all. so i wonder whats the most optimal way for me to learn how to fight without spending the most cash. is it just go to the fighting club i want with sparring classes?

Anonymous No. 129716

>>128647
if u live in the US (or another country where wrestling is popular): take a drop-in class at ur local wrestling gym
if u live anywhere else: take an introductory class at ur local judo dojo

grappling is more valuable a skill in fighting than striking, tho it has a steeper learning curve. striking alone won't save u against a decent grappler, but it does have a much lower learning curve, so u know the basics after about 6 months of training, whereas w/ grappling it can take years to learn the basics.

muay thai, tho it focuses on striking, has some stand-up grappling too, so if u find a good muay thai gym, that's a good start. if u live in a country where kickboxing is more popular, the quality of kb gyms will be higher, in which case kb is a good start.

most importantly tho: make sure u train under instructor(s) who have a modern, scientific approach to fighting, or instructors whose mentality comes closest to it.

my (dutch) kb instructor is a great fighter and was the 4th best kyokushin competitor at one point, so he hammers on about power and hard sparring, plus he's kinda strict and controlling as an instructor. but even tho he's stuck in his ways, i still train at his gym bc it's the best in town w/ little to no fluff, so i accept the minor differences in mindset and take what i can get so i can use what he teaches me when i move somewhere w/ a (hopefully) more scientific fight gym nearby. and he's a solid dude w/ good values who understands martial arts better than most.

Anonymous No. 129735

>>129716
>if u live in the US (or another country where wrestling is popular): take a drop-in class at ur local wrestling gym
Wrestling is a scholastic sport in the US. You are not "just starting" it as an adult. If all you want to do is takedowns as an adult beginner, Judo is your option in the US.

Anonymous No. 129736

>>129735
are there no wrestling gyms in the US?

Anonymous No. 129737

>>129736
They're for kids, or off-season HS wrestlers looking to sharpen their game. They're not their to teach a 25 yo for whom this is his first time on the mats how to wrestle.

Wrestling classes at MMA gyms are the only thing that comes close. But that's not really the sport of wrestling.

Anonymous No. 129773

>>116989
This
Your body and mind will tell you when you hit your limit

Anonymous No. 130342

>>129737
whaaaat?! i always thought (commercial) wrestling gyms open to the public were common in the US of A...

Anonymous No. 130348

>>130342
No, it’s basically impossible to start if you didn’t wrestle in either high school or college. A lot of mma gyms have wrestling programs but these are designed to be wrestling for mma programs, not the sport of wrestling itself