Image not available

725x1240

ebikefire01.png

🧵 /mtb/ Mountain Bike General

Anonymous No. 117687

Amateur Engineer Edition:

FAQ:
> What good bike can I get for under $500?
a stolen bike. Possibly a newer used entry level hardtail but don't expect it to survive rock gardens, jumps, or drops. Or an older mtb which won't be as good as newer ones and will still have a front derailleur, but it'll be good enough.
> What good bike can I get for under $1000
Used hardtail
> What good bike can I get for under $2000?
New Hardtail
> What good bike can I get for under $3000?
Used full suspension
> What are the excellent value brands?
Marin, Commencal, Canyon, Polygon, YT, Propain, Kona, and many more. Sometimes the expensive brands have an excellent value bike
This is a handy guide. Not comprehensive but a good guide for american riders. Europeans and Asians have access to other brands.
https://youtu.be/p_xdAi1xVDE
https://youtu.be/ihlQDGClCbs
Previous Thread: >>110612

Anonymous No. 117739

>imagine starting a wildfire when your ebike explodes

Image not available

4000x3000

IMG_20220925_1019....jpg

Anonymous No. 117742

>>117687
Continued from last thread I went and rode at Old fort instead of Dupont because of thunderstorms on the forecast. I rode kitsuma then up heartbreak to pinnacle mountain, From pinnacle mountain down to Old fort is around 4100 feet of vertical drop. But 500 of those feet are on pavement. Still I think a 3600 foot decent might be the longest decent on the east coast, and the closest I am going to get to big mountain riding.
>Pic unrelated

Image not available

2000x1506

PXL_20220924_1736....jpg

Anonymous No. 117791

Bay Area Bros, I went back to Skeggs this weekend and these fucking climbs. I checked Strava after and literally every climb I did is a category 4.
The downhills I rode were Resolution, Manzanita, and Steam Donkey. Resolution is rougher than I remember, most of it is a rock garden but since the trail is sandstone, the rocks are round instead of jagged. That doesn't mean it's easy, the rocks still stick out a lot and there are big loose rocks on it, so if you do eat shit on it, you're just going to get a lot of blunt force trauma instead of getting torn open. Resolution is the same but the rock outcroppings are shorter and you can take easier lines when shit gets real. I'm surprised we're even allowed to hike and ride on these trails, feels like it would get eroded faster but Skeggs and these particular trails are unpopular compared to other parks due to the climbs being so brutal and the park rangers strictly enforcing the no e-bike rule.

Anonymous No. 117795

>>117791
>Resolution is the same
meant Manzanita.

Anonymous No. 117864

>>117791
>be resting before riding Manzanita
>some kid on an entry level hardtail rides up
>seems to be sizing me up checking me and my bike out
>probably thought i was a typical boomer on a dentist bike
>I'm gearing up to hit the trail
>he sees this and hurries to get ahead of me
>I decide to give him a minute
>catch him anyways and he doesnt let me pass
>have to climb back up the shitty fire road just so I can get a clean lapt

Anonymous No. 117870

went on my second ride and did all the log rolls and small drops

Anonymous No. 117878

>>117739
roasties gonna coast
coasties gonna roast
many such cases

Image not available

374x280

1658695809825145.gif

Anonymous No. 117945

>>117864
>>catch him anyways and he doesnt let me pass
>>have to climb back up the shitty fire road just so I can get a clean lapt
Kid ruined the Strava run, I get the pain

Anonymous No. 117970

I like it when someone ruins my strava run because then I can use it as an excuse for why I was slower

> turn bell on
> no hikers or riders encountered or passed on the trail
> turn bell off because the parking lots were empty
> encounter more hikers and riders going up the trail than I have in the past several rides combined

Anonymous No. 118039

>>117945
>Kid ruined the Strava run, I get the pain
I was yelling Strava at him too. Noobs don't know that they're supposed to let you pass when you say that.

Anonymous No. 118076

so for fork installation the only specialty tool i really need is a star nut setter, correct?

Anonymous No. 118083

>>118076
You need to cut the steering tube and also press the crown race

Anonymous No. 118084

>>118076

ideally you need a facing tool, headset press, star nut setter, feeler gauges for dialing in caliper alignment, and maybe some other things I'm forgetting at the moment. in reality almost nobody bothers doing it right because a standard headset will last through thousands or tens of thousands of miles even if the install isn't perfect.

Anonymous No. 118085

>>118083
>>118084
i see, might just see if a local bike shop will install a new fork then

Anonymous No. 118094

>>118085
If it's a one time thing then sure that's fine.

Anonymous No. 118095

>>118094
yeah, haven't bought the fork yet but I'm thinking this will be the only time I upgrade the fork, at least for this bike.

Anonymous No. 118122

>>118084
It's mostly just something to cut the fork, a file or sandpaper to round off the sharp edges, something to install the crown race(you can make one for a few bucks out of PVC pipe), grease for the headset bearings, a star nut setter if you're using one(you can also DIY one).
It sounds like a lot, but it's an easy job, if you don't want to get all the tools and keep them around, just take it to a shop. Also, just look this shit up, there are plenty of guides.
I'll be installing a new ZEB on my Wreckoning once I order in the wheels in a few months, I guess I can document that.

Anonymous No. 118225

I just want to say, I've been MTB-ing on an old hardtail (brand: Hibike) since corona and the hobby is going to stay, so, I upgraded to a ful suspension second hand recently. A Giant Trance 29 (2019), and my gawd what a difference. This changed "this is fun" to fullblown addicted "when can I get back on trail again ." To everyone a beginner reading this, the gear you bring in this mtb thing, will massively, massively, massively change how you much fun you think mtb-ing is (and I'm in the Netherlands, we don't even HAVE mountains!). If you want to ty this this MTB thing - the OP is right, don't cheap out on bike, MTB magic just can't happen for under 500, you'll just whiff at the possibilities, but never experience them. When suspension, flowing corners, shifting and just high speed trail shredding works effortlessly, it's goddamn magic. Get a decent bike beginners. Seriously.

Image not available

4032x3024

20220826_174214.jpg

Anonymous No. 118257

>>118225
>I'm in the Netherlands, we don't even HAVE mountains!
Mountainlet
A gravel bike is more than enough for your below sea level bike trails

Anonymous No. 118264

>>118225

the trance 29er is one of the best mountain bikes ever made and your local conditions are ideal for it. different bikes work for different conditions. it would suck ass for my local trails.

Anonymous No. 118380

>that perfect autumn day that's crisp and chilly and not too wet
Feels so good bros

Image not available

2364x1330

FGST.jpg

Anonymous No. 118396

>>118225
This is exactly right. That being said it's really fun to hit the trails on other stuff that you learn to do all those things on.
This is my road bike frame from the 80's that I turned into a singe track fixed gear.

Anonymous No. 118420

>>118225
Where do you ride in the Netherlands? Just ride down a dyke or something?

Anonymous No. 118487

>horsekarens trying to take away MTB access on multi use trails
>the same trails that are exclusively maintained by MTB community members
Hope the legislation doesn't go thru but it will be funny and a bit sad to see the horses completely destroy the trails and have no one around to fix them up

Anonymous No. 118488

>>118420
'De Utrechtse heuvelrug' are my local trails. About 8 trails of 10-20 kilometers each, mostly sand and flowing trails. It is impressive how the trailbuilders used the limited height in the hills to still make all the trails entertaining though. But for more serious downhill stuff, I do need to travel somewhat far...

Anonymous No. 118490

>>118487
horse karens are why I'm nice to hikers. We need them to fight off the horse karens

Anonymous No. 118524

>>118396
True, (I'm the Trance 29-er guy) I've also brought my GF's really sick carbon Scott hardtail on the trails when mine was needing maintenance, and the speeds you can get that thing up to is insane. It convinced me to get the Trance upgrade realizing how much a difference a a more modern MTB would be. The trance with full suspension and aliminium frame is by far not as fast as my GF's carbon frame Scott (you can just throw that thing where you want it in milliseconds, it's pure joy) but the full suspension the Scott lacks is a gamechanger in brake-holes ridden corners or just general grip and comfort riding - I like the trance generally better, but going for a shorter, more high speed energy burst flowy trails? - i hope I can use my GF's Scott again, it's a true light = speed beast, it just screams at you the whole time - "Go faster - I can take it!". Both are just - so much fun in different ways.

Anonymous No. 118558

trails dumb. skatepark smart.

Anonymous No. 118579

>>118558
all the skateparks near me are tiny ghetto shitholes
thankfully i live close to rays and have gone there a few times

Image not available

1661x829

Fd4buWwXEAIKwOm.png

Anonymous No. 118598

>>118488
Just move out of the netherlands, nothing good there at all. You'll soon freeze and starve there, just like the germans will do this winter

Anonymous No. 118645

Do you guys ride on the road or sidewalk if you don't have a cycle path?
I wanna start biking but I haven't been on a bike since I was a child, and I'm afraid of riding on the street.
I would like to use a bike mainly in parks, hills, etc, but I still need to get to those places, and there aren't much cycle paths where I live, and it's a big city so there are cars and people everywhere.

Anonymous No. 118742

Disc golf was above MTB in the catalog of extreme sports (disc golf, extreme sports, ffs) . this bump is needed to fix this.
>>118645
Roads, and if your city is scary, wear blinky lights or some neon shirt or something, make sure you're seen and not run over. (If you're in any other country than the Netherlands, good luck with that - some people in other countries than the Netherlands just hate 'bikers', if you're in the US, bring a gun so your crippled ass can at least take revenge should you survive when you inavetably will be run over).

Anonymous No. 118751

>>118742
I like disc golf and MTB...

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20221003_2259....jpg

Anonymous No. 118908

just got these in the mail today. I currently have Maxxis DHF and DHR tires on my short travel 29er and I don't want it to fill a similar niche as the long travel enduro I'm building so I'll put these on in a few months when I wear through them. These tires are supposed to be really fast and have enough grip for what I'm riding but I won't know until I try them. I hope they're durable because I love me some chunk

Anonymous No. 118910

>>118908
also forgot to add that the DHF and DHRs pick up so much debris because they're so grippy and the clearance in the rear is so low that without my fenders, I would have destroyed my frame already. These seem like they won't pick up marble size rocks. I considered trying out Vittoria Syerra tires but the wet weather performance is pretty lacking and I need that grip for some foggy mornings

Image not available

512x512

1663364585137294.jpg

Anonymous No. 118981

>>118908
>I love me some chunk
>be really fast
>DHF and DHRs pick up so much debris
Why don't you go full PRO and cut the knobs a bit? You get Double down casing for chunk with short knobs for fast rolling. I remember seeing a DHWC or EWS race in heavy rain/mud and some mechanics were putting mud tires but they cut the knobs down

Anonymous No. 118987

>>118981
>Why don't you go full PRO and cut the knobs a bit?
Just ride around on dry pavement for a few miles.

Anonymous No. 118992

>>118981
I'm nowhere near as fast as a pro enduro racer. I wanted to try something very different from DHF and DHRs by trading grip for better rolling and climbing efficiency. I've suspected that I don't ride hard enough to make full use of my tires and I'll find out when I ride with these in a few months.

Image not available

1360x1814

20221004_184957.jpg

Anonymous No. 119009

>>118992
You don't need to be a pro or ride hard enough to use tires. Any rider, from a hardtail guy with a bit of experience to a pro, will feel more confident and traction if he switches from a 2.2 rekon to a 2.5 assguy. Yeah the pro will fully use it compared to the hardtailguy but the switch allow more confidence for line selection to the new guy, slowly pushing him to find his edge. You'll get the rolling and climbing but you'll might feel the lack om the descent(unless you ride like women when they ride first time bc their boyfriends/husbands took them mtbing, barely moving ad the lock up the brakes). >>118987 This might work but you'll get rounded knobs. If you want the rolling and climbing chop a bit the center knobs on rear tire. I don't feel drag up front, dh22, it can be fully inflated or with low pressure but on the rear I feel the difference with airpressure and tires.

I'm conflicted as its october and soon winter then spring and my rear tire is completey used and mud/loam accumulates on it so I don't traction at all in the back but I put a big tire I'll feel the drag. Thing is that I shuttle 90% of the time but to reach the bus, I ride 30 min and also return. But I can push the bike

Anonymous No. 119057

>>119009
Most of my riding is climbing since I don't have lifts or shuttles here(I also enjoy climbing) so that made me consider getting something lighter and more efficient. I think these tires should be just fine on the descents, my only concern is they may make climbing harder if the center knobs can't dig into the dust of beat up overused trails.
Well, I can speculate as much as I want, but I won't know for a face until I actually put them on and ride with them. The DHF and DHR I have on right now seem to have a lot of life left

Anonymous No. 119088

Are there any hardtail mtb's with eyelets for pannier racks? Looking to go bike packing but things like the Canyon Stoic 3 don't come with pre-drilled holes for a rear rack.

Anonymous No. 119118

>>119088
The Marin Pine Mountain might have them, it's covered in eyelets.
Are you looking for a mountain bike that can do bikepacking, or are you looking for a dedicated backpacking bike?

Anonymous No. 119136

>>119088
Surely karate monkey, it has all of the mounts

Image not available

2000x1506

PXL_20221007_0007....jpg

Anonymous No. 119468

Finally got back on the dirt jumper today after not riding it for months due to it being too damn hot in San Jose. I really need to push myself and just accept I'm going to fall because it's limiting my fun and performance.

Anonymous No. 119469

Do I buy a 19' banshee darkside for 3k, or do I buy a new propain spindrift frame next year?

Anonymous No. 119470

>>119469
Both.

Anonymous No. 119475

>>119470
Fug I was thinking to do both as well, but do I want to shell out 3k before I can afford it

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20220718_2002....jpg

Anonymous No. 119477

>>119469
Why can't you get the Spindrift now?
Also, Guerilla Gravity has short lead times on builds

Just go into debt, it's what I do

Anonymous No. 119484

>>119477
>Why can't you get the Spindrift now?
Waiting for a deal/saving money

Image not available

768x960

1617056749813.jpg

Anonymous No. 119519

>>119477
i always thought those evil frames looked like a nightmare to clean and change bearings on, is it the case?

Anonymous No. 119553

>>119519
Nah, the bearings are easy to reach and there aren't that many of them compared to something like a a specialized enduro that has 28 of them.
The real annoying thing, which they just fixed 2 months after I bought this frame with the Wreckoning LS update, is that there are cups in the trunnion mount that are really damn annoying to line up properly and they slip out right when you're about to get the bolts in. They integrated them in the revision that just came out.
Also uses a proprietary rear derailleur hanger which was just updated to the sram udh. Luckily these bikes have a big aftermarket so you can get rear derailleur hangers from other makers if EVIL is sold out.
What really chaps my ass is that I bought this in matte black because my other EVIL is orange gloss and I don't want a 2nd orange EVIL, and the finish is so easy to scratch since it doesn't slide like gloss does. This frame has been hanging in my closet for 2 months and it already has a scratch on the seatstay near the axle. It's not even a battle scar I can be proud of because all I've done to this frame is apply matte frame protection around the contact zones. I've crashed several times on my other EVIL and the paint shows no signs of it.
The rear shock is harder to clean because of the DELTA linkage, but it just takes a little more time since you can't twist a rag around it like you can on something like a canyon spectral

Anonymous No. 119571

How am I supposed to ride sandy berms? Just rip thru and pray?

Anonymous No. 119606

>>119571
pray first, then rip through

Anonymous No. 119625

>>119553
Should just wrap it in a fluffy blanket

Anonymous No. 119634

>>119625
It's covered in bubblewrap. I should just drape my shirts and jackets over it. I'm sure the frame will look good wearing one of my suits

Anonymous No. 119755

>Finally fix the bike
>Go for a ride
>Crash

Image not available

865x526

pepe-happy-raised....jpg

Anonymous No. 119761

>>119755
>Be me
>Sign up for my first Enduro race
>Go to the bikepark the day before
>Pinch flat my tire on first run.
>Fix it
>Go ride and hit the exact same rock again
>dent rim
>tire and rim are now fucked
>Tubeless.exe has left the chat
>wellfuck.png
>Fuck it, I'll put a tube in
>Pump it up to 45psi for no more pinch flats
>Ride the rest of the day.
>Show up to the Enduro
>Ride consistantly well.
>Get 3rd going against locals who have been winning regionals and practicing the trails for the past 2 weeks.

It does feel good, I am going to have to ride more Enduro races

Image not available

683x671

1620940837411.jpg

Anonymous No. 119770

>>119755
>go for a ride
>bike starts making terrible noise after a crash
>local shop fixes it for free

Anonymous No. 119811

>>119571
Just pick the line you think your wheel would slide to anyway and ride that one

Anonymous No. 119812

>>119761
>be me
>turn up for a day at my local mountain range
>all the trails are cordoned off with tape
>it's an enduro race
>ride down a fire road to the race start
>see guy getting ready to start, super hyped
>ride past and onto the trail just as he starts his countdown
>ignore the shouting and carry on riding
>eventually he rides up behind me, it's a technical uphill tight through woodland
>absolutely refuse to let him pass
>he grunts and seeths behind me for the entire ascent
>I cut him up a few times, you shall not pass.
>I eventually tire and let him go as we get near the top, he calls me a cunt and rides off
>I being local take a shortcut to the second downhill, I don't enjoy the first
>get there, smoke a spliff on the way because why not, I'm not in a race
>start my dh run
>not too fast, I'm a bit high.
>guy races up behind me,
>same guy from before
>you shall not pass
>he crashes trying to overtake me
>checked his number at the end
>dnf

Image not available

2730x2048

166445228234081065.jpg

Anonymous No. 119813

Bit of an adventure ride today, we set off to go ride some black trails in a park about 1.5 hrs away, but this mountain road we had to cross was closed after a truck crash - so instead of waiting in traffic all day we rode an ebike-boomer teir rail trail over the mountains to the MTB park on the other side, rode a few trails, pulled up to a little store in bumfuck nowhere and sugar loaded to fuck then turned around and rode back. 52kms with 996 meters of elevation, all on the totally wrong bikes for the job. The knevo in the pic only has a 500wh battery so most of the ride that was turned off for fear of running out if battery for the final climb. Pic rel is at the summit if the rail trail, on the way back.

Anonymous No. 119824

>>119468
Where in San Jose is this?

Anonymous No. 119834

>>119812
rude

Anonymous No. 119835

>>119812
Your making equestrian riders seem well mannered and courteous over here.

Image not available

2000x1500

20220821_115653.jpg

Anonymous No. 119874

>>119553
kek that's bad luck, the udh is great as they're so cheap and don't bend easily
get going and build that frame up

Anonymous No. 119916

>>119824
Lake Cunningham Action Sports Park. It's $10 to get in and $6 to park.

>>119874
I just want the UDH because I assume it's more widespread and I can give a spare to a rider in need.

Anonymous No. 119929

>>117687
Bros, my pedals are clicking. What are your go to brands for replacing pedals?

Anonymous No. 119934

>>119929
Clipless or flats? For flats I would buy one up, for clips it is impossible to go wrong with shimano, they just work. I personally like the feel of HT pedals as they have alot more clamping force.

Anonymous No. 119936

>>119929

it's probably not your pedals

Image not available

464x266

1664826380596990.gif

Anonymous No. 119937

>>119812

kek'd
one internet to you sir

Image not available

186x160

IMG_8167.png

Anonymous No. 119955

Well lads, just ended my season early with an OTB crash that ended with me breaking my wrist and collarbone. Not that there was much left anyways but I might be out for the first few weeks of ski season too. I really need to learn how to jump properly. Fml

Anonymous No. 119957

>>119916
Oh this is the place where Tony Hawk and Steve Caballero skated together in that video from like 10 years ago. Looks fun but it also looks like I'm way too unskilled to do anything there

Anonymous No. 119959

>>119916
When would be the best time to go if I'm a beginner and don't want to make an ass of myself in front of a bunch of people?

Image not available

600x450

Recovery_Meakins.jpg

Anonymous No. 119964

>>119955
At least you did it as winter is starting, long recovery really sucks though
>t. fracture dislocation of my right arm in May this year and still doing physio

Anonymous No. 119983

>>119959
Don't worry about that, I'm a beginner at this type of riding too and I'm terrible at the jump lines, I only get a few inches off the ground on the easy lines. The people here are friendly and aren't judgemental, they'll give you tips and talk to you if you ask, and they'll stay quiet if you don't. Even the little kids hanging out in their chad friend groups who get like 12 ft of air on the pro jump lines aren't little pieces of shit who make fun of people, I know because I've been around them when someone like me hits the baby line with bad technique.
But if you really have performance anxiety, try going on a weekday when there are the least amount of people. Most people, including the expert riders, hang out on the jump area next to the pump track. The dual slalom, tech features, drops, and the other jump area with wall rides and shark tails see much less people.

>>119957
They have a lot more than big jump lines. They also have a lot of things for less skilled riders and those are what I ride the most since the trails I ride don't have massive jumps. I'm usually riding the dual slalom and pump track since they're easier and more applicable to mountain biking. There was a day where most of what I did was practice on the easiest jump and I managed to nail it after getting coached by some highly skilled roadies who showed up at the tail end of a century ride just to goof around.
I'm not skilled enough to do any of big jumps here but I have a lot of fun every time I come.

Image not available

286x268

Coomergroyoer.jpg

Anonymous No. 119997

>climbing behind 2 running sweaty qt3.14s in leggings
>testboostMAXXed
>tfw 3 new strava PRs on rocky rooty terrain after it rained
I peaked on that descent. Front wheel slipped while hopping on rocks to get to the offcamber diagonal roots just to slide again. I have never ridden so loose and slipping constantly was a nothingburger. Still get PRs. I now know how Loic and Amaury keep winning.

Anonymous No. 120027

>>119934
I ended up picking up some oneups composite. Aluminum felt like a waste of money if the bearings are gonna go out again anyways.

>>119936
Ticking sound happens when I stand up and pedal so it's not the seat post. Chain and gears/derailers are all clean and lubed. Nothing is catching or tapping on other components. Tried pedaling with hands on the pedals while applying weight and I could feel pops/ticks like they were coming from the pedal when using a lot of force on higher gears. When I took the pedals off to spin and listen to them, I could hear minor grinding inside the afflicted pedal (Some Feimin brand that came stock on the bike).

I plan on checking the chainring next,if there's still pops/ticks. Any tips on tightening the bolts without a chainring wrench?

Anonymous No. 120031

>>120027
oneups are made to be serviced, I'm not sure how it's done though

Are you absolutely sure it's your pedals that are making the noise? I tore apart, cleaned, and regreased the drivetrain on my gravel bike because of a clicking sound I would hear when pedalling. Turns out the clicking sound was from my shoelace tip hitting a water bottle
I did the same thing and did a lot of RD tuning for a clicking sound on my mountain bike when pedalling. Turns out that click was being caused by the cassette coming a little loose and it was really hard to tell because it uses an XD driver so it passes the wiggle test. I only found out the cassette was the issue when I took off the wheel and decided to give the cassette a quick tightening when cleaning and regreasing the axle, and the cassette ended up doing a few revolutions. I needed the tool for that since it would not have worked if I spun it by hand

Image not available

339x282

D-RISING.png

Anonymous No. 120036

>>120031
>Are you absolutely sure it's your pedals that are making the noise?

I honestly just got the oneup composite pedals in, threw them on the bike, went for the ride and the popping was gone. Feels pretty good to be silent again. Now whenever I'm paved trail riding around all the qt3.14's, my bike won't sound all busted and shit.

So I guess for other anons, I identified this shit by resting the bike upside down on the ground, and pedaling with my hands on a high gear trying to put as much weight as possible on the pedals.. couldn't feel it through shoes.

Anonymous No. 120242

>>120036
Based correct diagnosis anon

>>120031
https://www.oneupcomponents.com/pages/comp-pedal-service-instructions this is how you service one ups pedals. The only brand that doesn't have service guides is HT

Anonymous No. 120252

>>119955
I mean at least you didn't do the tony thing and paralyze yourself on what's essentially a big roller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6SCsm8n8ng

Anonymous No. 120266

>>120252
That is hard to watch. I got a dirt jumper so I could learn how to do those big jumps and drops so I don't get fucked up if I fail on a real trail.
If you're at a lift service bike park where you're not even pedalling, always wear a chest protector, back protector, neck brace, full face helmet, and knee and elbow pads if you're planning to get air

Anonymous No. 120270

>>120266
>I got a dirt jumper so I could learn how to do those big jumps and drops so I don't get fucked up if I fail on a real trail.
? You can practice jumps on a normal full suspension
>If you're at a lift service bike park where you're not even pedalling, always wear a chest protector, back protector, neck brace, full face helmet, and knee and elbow pads if you're planning to get air
I don't, just the pads and helmet. The most important thing is learning to roll when you fall, don't faceplant or pancake

Anonymous No. 120280

>>120270
These parks are more fun on a 26er, especially tech. I've done this stuff on my long and slack 29er full squish and it's not as fun.

Anonymous No. 120281

>>120280
But if you want to git gud at jumps for a trail run, I imagine doing it on the fully is what you have to practice

Anonymous No. 120304

>>119468
I haven’t brought my bike to that park but I fly all day everyday over it lolol

Anonymous No. 120307

>>120252
I know a rider who did that exact thing with the same consequences, though he only spent like a year in a neckbrace and was able to resume riding.

You really have to be careful with doubles, they'll fuck you up if you come up short. You either take them with a lot of excess speed to make sure you clear, or you brake early and roll them out and live to fight another day.

Anonymous No. 120335

>>120252
shit like this is why i'll never do jumps bigger than like 10ft

Image not available

3686x2073

20221005_134224.jpg

Anonymous No. 120354

Its near perfect now. I just a need a dropper with 30mm more travel, lyrik stickers to change the yari ones and a new set DH22s

Anonymous No. 120468

I drove to Lake Cunningham Bike Park today and it was unexpectedly closed because only one person showed up for work. I'm really butthurt, I was hyped up today to practice jumping and harder cornering

Anonymous No. 120732

>>119955
Couple weeks ago my front wheel slipped over a berm (last turn down the mountain). Broken wrist as well. I really need to corner properly. Fml

Anonymous No. 120762

>>120307
Upon closer inspection, I hope he was trying to nosebonk, because if he wasn't, he's a complete retard. Dude was nosediving over every jump before that one

Btw >>119470
I'm probably gonna end up getting both. That way I can have a bike to use while still building the spindrift with top of the line parts.
Had a foreman from one of my previous sites contact me the other day, says he has a ton of work for me as a subcontractor. I won't be hurting for money over the winter

Anonymous No. 120873

what is the difference between a trail bike and an enduro bike

Anonymous No. 120879

>>120873
It's a downhill bike that can climb, you know, for enduro racing.

Image not available

1080x717

Please bro.jpg

Anonymous No. 120899

>riding gloveless as they have holes and forgot to pass by the lbs to get another pair
>first switschback
>riding feels off as gloveless
>fall into a bush
>immediately recognized the stinging
>mfw stinging nettle bush
Hands are itchy

Anonymous No. 120902

>>120873
Enduro will descend the best behind dh while retaining the capability to climb.

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20221015_1547....jpg

Anonymous No. 120911

Went to Waterdog today and I started from the north trailhead next to Ensatina trail instead of the parking lot on Carlmont Drive and it was a lot of fun. The climbs and descents from here are much less steep so it's a better warmup than hiking the bike up Elevator trail to get to the top of the park.
One really weird thing happened though. I stopped and a rock spontaneously popped into the air. I had nothing to do it, it wasn't an animal, and it wasn't already falling and then bounced off the ground. I know what I'm describing is impossible, but I saw it happen. I want to say it was resting on a bent root that finally snapped, but I don't recall seeing a root, it just looked like a smokeless and flashless explosive went off under it.

Image not available

521x313

1661092111275510.gif

Anonymous No. 120921

>>120911
Why do you need a mudguard? You are in socal, it doesn't rain there

Image not available

1134x2016

IMG_20210822_074919.jpg

Anonymous No. 120925

>>120921
I'm not in SoCal, I'm in SF Bay, it still rains here and a lot of the trails I ride still have muddy spots in the middle of summer from all the dew dripping off the leaves. It's even very muddy some early mornings if it's foggy.
But I mostly keep the fenders on because it stops rocks from being flung up into my face and from destroying the rear triangle. Back when I had a Canyon Spectral, I took it on its first ride before I got fenders and the DHR up front picked up so many rocks and pelted my face with them.

Anonymous No. 120931

>>120921
Pebbles. I mountain bike without glasses (also very dry here) and 99% of my eye debris is little pebbles and sand thrown up from my tire
The real question is why bother taking it off? Aerodynamics?

Anonymous No. 120947

>>120873
Trail:
>Lighter
>Steeper head tube
>Shorter reach
>Lower Bottom bracket
>Travel usually between 110 and 140mm
Enduro:
>Heavier
>Slacker head tube
>Longer reach
>Higher bottom bracket
>More powerful brakes
>Travel between 160-190mm most of the time
Basically trail bikes are great for uphill/flat trails or downhill that has minimal tech. Enduro bikes can still climb/ride flat terrain, but since it's heavier, they're slower and it sucks a lot more than on a trail bike. The one very appealing upside of an enduro is that it's a lot more fun to descend and plows through stuff the trail bike might find difficult like it was nothing.

Anonymous No. 120996

>>120873
just to add onto what >>120947 said. A trail bike is balanced to be just as capable going up as it is going down. An enduro is built for big jumps, drops, and plowing through obstacles on the downhill all day while still being able to climb, albeit not as fast of efficiently as a trail bike or cross-country bike, and it's not focused on only going downhill like a proper downhill bike which are literally not designed for going uphill, and can't pedal uphill(exagerration, but it's like trying to use a spoon to cut a well done steak). A trail bike can still handle the same descents as an enduro, except it won't be as stable and the components and frame aren't built to hit them as hard or fast. Some high end enduros are supposedly really efficient climbers, such as the EVIL Wreckoning V3(I won't know until I finish building mine but it's allegedly a better climber than my EVIL Following MB according to some riders), the Revel Rail, the Specialized Enduro, Forbidden Dreadnought, and many more I'm forgetting.
If you're a new rider or looking to get into getting your first real mountain bike that isn't a walmart shitbike because you've been watching a lot of videos of pro riders and you're thinking that looks really fun, get the trail bike and work your way up there. You won't know what kind of riding you really want to do until you start riding.

Anonymous No. 121033

NEW Seth's bike hacks (Berm Peak Express) kino just dropped. What do we think

Anonymous No. 121034

>>121033
kinda lame
i don't like his product videos that much

Anonymous No. 121046

>>120996
>>120947
>>120902
>>120879
thanks, I've had my entry level trail bike for a while and I was deciding between new bike and just upgrading my current one and I think I'm just gonna buy a new fork and a dropper post

Anonymous No. 121054

>>121033
Average Seth video.
MTBSaga became one of my favorite mtb youtubers for his cheap vs expensive series. He made it in response to Pinkbike's shitty sponsored series and he used his own money. There was a big mix of parts and even did modifications.

Anonymous No. 121057

>>120899
Does calamine lotion fix it? (I honestly don't know)

>try new area out
>way hotter outside than I thought it would be in october
>so don't bother with elbow pads
>other bikers there say the jump trail is way to the right
>go way to the right
>eh this aint so bad, where are the jumps?
>do 2 laps on other trails
>get lost and eventually find my way back
>exhausted from climbing at this point
>try another trail kinda in the middle
>fuck this is the jump trail
>front wheel hangs up on a log jump
>get saddle bucked right into my crotch
>tumble and smash forearm into a stump
Turns out that trail is a double black on trailforks

Image not available

474x474

th-4212186479.jpg

Anonymous No. 121085

What pads do you wear? Slip on or strap? I was looking at these , but I have a feeling they won't say up my thigh.

Anonymous No. 121088

>>121085
haven't gotten any for mountain biking yet but when i rollerbladed i liked the straps rather than slips
just felt more secure, but a bit heavier and sweatier

Anonymous No. 121162

>>121088
Rollerblading? Like skateparks and stuff?

>>121085
I wear slip on. The ones with straps seem to be more heavy duty and I don't think I need for the riding I do.

Anonymous No. 121163

>>121162
i have a pair of aggressive skates but i like my 4x80 setup much better because i can just cruise around and still hit stuff like bowls and pump tracks with em

Anonymous No. 121166

>>121163
Based. Where do you live that has concrete pumptracks?

Anonymous No. 121167

>>121166
grand rapids michigan, there's a little community effort bike park that has some dirt pump tracks, a concrete one and a little loop of single track around the area

Anonymous No. 121257

>>121085
Depends on your riding style and local terrain obvs
Normal trail biking and climbing, who cares
Maximum chunk, DH, and jumps, get whatever fits under your pants, or if you're wearing shorts it doesn't matter cuz you can just pull them up

Anonymous No. 121297

>>120899
Are you American? Will never forget the new American kid at school running enthusiastically into a massive patch of stinging nettles to retrieve the football because he didn't recognise them kek

Image not available

712x885

1661760675122958.gif

Anonymous No. 121302

>>121257
What I used to ride was just standard single-track stuff but I am starting to do more bike park and challenging tech and jumps. I saw a few people crash and it just made me a bit more aware. I would be better off buying a full face but it is a balls riding in them. The pads cheaper as well.

Image not available

250x251

1665828395559249.gif

Anonymous No. 121314

>>121057
>calamine lotion fix it?
Idk, next morning I just felt a slight stinging so I just ignored
>>121085
Dakine anthem(strap). Amazing kneepads. They don't slide, I pedal with them and if its hot I just remove them, have lasted me since december 2017 and still have life left( just bought a sewing kit to fix a small hole). Slip on pads shouldn't even exist.
>>121297
Kek. No but from central america in alps. Its not my first encounter here with them but it was the worst.

Anonymous No. 121345

Looking at a Marin Bolinas Ridge 2 w/ the atlas drivetrain. Can get it for a lil under $500. Yay or nay?

Anonymous No. 121346

>>121345
*will be riding various blue/green trail in Texas. Upgrading from a Walmart full squish.

Anonymous No. 121361

>>121345
>>121346

Why don't you buy used and maybe end up with an actual bike instead?

Anonymous No. 121363

>>121345
It would be fine for the casual riding on greens/blues but really you should save up and shop around for a nicer one, used would be your best bet as the other anon has pointed out. The biggest thing that steers me away from the bike is the 3x8 drive train, and how expensive it would be to upgrade to something better. Also chain stay mounted brakes kinda suck, and since it's a straight tube fork your options for upgrading that part is a bit limited.

Image not available

3023x3511

gt force 2015 nea....jpg

Anonymous No. 121374

>>118225
True words, and even upgrading brakes makes a world of difference.

I manage to change my gt force for the same bike, but a size larger (M to L) and it made quite the difference to me.

Though I have far more bike than what I'm capable of doing with it on the trails, I'd like to know what a horst link suspension and 29ner feels on the trails compared to my moving BB bike (you barely feel it save for big impacts, but on landings you don't feel it at all, feels quite plush)

Anonymous No. 121379

>>121302
IMO you don't necessarily need a full face for most things even in a bike park because usually you don't faceplant. I didn't use one for the first 3 whistler trips, and since then I haven't banged my head on anything. Just get the airiest enduro fullface you can find if you absolutely need to

Anonymous No. 121391

>>121379
I had a dumbfuck fall-down around a sandy corner at like 3mph and landed on my cheek wearing my half shell it pissed me off so fucking much I’m now out there 85° 3000ft climbs full face don’t @ me

Anonymous No. 121418

anything "new" comparable to the siskiu t8 in the same price range? Something I won't want to upgrade immediately? Getting rid of an old hard tail over the winter. Starting to take the sport more seriously as I moved to revelstoke

Anonymous No. 121427

for someone looking to start mountain biking and looking for an all purpose bike would you guys suggest trail or enduro?

Anonymous No. 121430

>>121427
gravel fixie

Image not available

854x930

Manup.jpg

Anonymous No. 121449

>>121391
>climbing 3000ft on a hot day using a full face helmet with a 37 lbs coil mullet bike with DD 3c maxx grip tires
This is the correct and only way. Flat country anons can't fathom doing a 4000ft climb to get to the secret singletrack

Anonymous No. 121462

>>121427
depends on your local terrain, difference is suspension travel

Image not available

883x688

kot.png

Anonymous No. 121486

>>121379
>usually you don't faceplant
sounds to me like you aren't going hard enough

Anonymous No. 121500

>>121427
Trail bike. Most enduros these days are dogs to climb on, no matter what the manufacturer tries to tell you. A shit climbing bike will put you off riding because it'll be such an ordeal to get to the top of the hill it'll be all you remember and you won't want to go back. Get a second hand giant trance or something like that.

Anonymous No. 121533

>>121427
Where do you live / where or what are you going to be riding.
>>121500
honestly climbing sucks no matter what and the 2 minutes longer it takes to get to the top doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

I would see what everybody else in your area is riding, around where I used to live everyone rode enduro bikes 150-180mm of travel, but I recently moved out of the mountains for school and now everybody is riding trail and xc bikes.

Now I have an enduro bike and many miles of xc trails to practice flat cornering on. Just give us local trail system name, generally if there are ski resorts or colleges around the riding is going to be more difficult.

Anonymous No. 121534

>>121533
I live in the Canadian rockies (Fernie, BC), It will be a lot of downhill on skihills during the winter but also a lot of distance trails throughout the mountain range of BC/Alberta

Anonymous No. 121539

>>121534
In BC you will definitely appreciate the extra travel and heft an enduro bike would give you.

Anonymous No. 121552

>>121391
>>121449
I live 2 hrs from whistler you cunts
>climbing 3000ft on a hot day using a full face helmet with a 37 lbs coil mullet bike with DD 3c maxx grip tires
I'm building a coil mullet enduro with downhill casings. Don't skip leg day

>>121486
The rare occasion I wipe while not having enough time to brace or roll, I tuck my chin. I do wear a fullface, but that's because I'm planning to do rampage-tier jumps eventually. Buy once cry once

Anonymous No. 121555

>>121552
Is 100% rock doubledowns for downhill riding idk what you’re on about needing DH casing for enduro, the doubledowns are already basically DH-lite casings, if you’re having problems just put some air inya tires

Anonymous No. 121558

I need a bit of help lads, I want to upgrade my shitty hardtail Velors to Kalashnikov-speks (drop it from 10m; it has no problem) and, alike a kalash, it needs to be as cheap as a WASR.
I got my shitty bike from some Decathlon store in a mall for ~1000RON (~200EUR/USD), 4 years ago, and the frame seems to hold on pretty well and I am of the belief that it's quite good
I was thinking of changing the wheels and the fork (the wheels are china-graded and the fork barely compresses while I put my weight, ~80Kg, on it, probably some shitty spring one as it's hollow inside) and I didn't know what exactly to replace them with as google is a fucker and doesn't gimme what I need when I use their shitass service.
I'd love to hear what my frens would recommend my ass ^^

and to not forget: my wheels are 29"

Anonymous No. 121560

When I adjust my stem height is it bad to just have the top cap and the stem on top with no spacer in-between?

Anonymous No. 121563

>>121560
Yeah that’s a problem unless you happen to have the absolute flawlessly perfect steertube length

Anonymous No. 121574

Magic mary gravity or trail for an enduro bike? The trail option is a bit lighter and will probably conform better to rocks, roots and so on, but it will also probably puncture more easily because the carcass is not as strong... What do you guys think?

Anonymous No. 121579

>>121574
If you’ve ever had sidewall stability issues (squirming in corners etc) or actually punctured your tire on a rock before, just get the heavier option. If neither of those thing, get the lighter one.
Lighter tires are a big benefit. Heavier tires are a big benefit. That’s how it goes in the tire world, can’t have it all

Anonymous No. 121581

>>121579
Well yes of course, I was just wondering if others had any actual experience with similar stuff, like EXO+ vs DD for a DHF or an assguy for example.

Image not available

2000x1334

Scott-Ransom-E-Ri....jpg

Anonymous No. 121587

Just ordered pic related and a Zeb ultimate. Upgrading from 27,5 emtb and hope its not too much. A bit heavy, originally wanted something lighter but the deal was just too good...

Anonymous No. 121590

>>121558
>>/n/

Anonymous No. 121591

>>121555
My build is a hybrid with a frame and drivetrain for enduro, everything else downhill or jump oriented. I'm basically using a semi-DH bike for proper exercise, not just fun. I'm also the spindrift guy
>Zeb Ultimate 190mm
>DHX2 coil
>X01 cranks with oval chainring (might not bother with X01 derailleur, only if I see a deal)
>297 Assegais or Michelin DH34s
>E13 TRS+ 11spd
>Flow rims
The rest is my personal preference and doesn't ultimately matter

Anonymous No. 121597

>>121581
I have an EXO+ assguy on the 180mm enduro bike and a DD assguy on the 160mm hardtail. EXO+ seems to be just fine for the few months I’ve been running but I also enjoy the puncture-peace of mind of the DD

Anonymous No. 121635

>>121597
Would you say the EXO+ has a bit better grip/is more "compliant" when the wheel goes over stuff?

Anonymous No. 121638

>>121635
I mean yeah a little definitely, but the catch is you can run even lower pressures with heavier casings without losing sidewall support or risking rim damage, and get increased tire deformation that way though pressure rather than casing stiffness. There’s still the massive weight of heavy casing though, and you always could run low pressure light casing, dangerously, for maximum plushness and grip anyways
If tire deformation and grip is your main goal go lighter casing, just be aware that if you ride aggressive style/terrain you may start seeing issues that need to be solved by adding extra pressure you don’t really want to add

I’d rather run a regular EXO tires but the sidewall support isn’t there for me, I would have to run 5psi extra for hard corners which negates the grip/deformation benefits anyways, DD has been great for me although it is really heavy and a lot of effort to pedal, I think EXO+ with its new design (which has already fully replaced all old EXO+ on shelves) is a really solid balance.
180mm enduro bike has EXO+ assguy front, enduro-casing kryptotal rear which is another good option I’d point out, the new continentals are 99% amazing tires definitely worth a look if you’re considering assegai/minions in different casings/rubber

Image not available

494x484

E2AUNjJXIAATfq-.jpg

Anonymous No. 121645

>cracked rear rim a month ago and changed it
>after a harsh rocky section I notice front rim using dh22s wobbles
>bikeshop tells me they can't fix it as its bent past 2cm and spokes have no thread left
Are they bullshitting me? I've seen rims bent worse and fixed. Can I just ride it like this for 1.5 months(bike park included)? I want to ride the last few days before winter fucks my shit up.

Anonymous No. 121646

>>121552
>>121591
>I'm building a coil mullet enduro with downhill casings
You'll die on a climb kek. Don't forget to use the softest compound for tires and low pressure for max grip. Also do it with a full face

Anonymous No. 121667

anyone here use cushcore tire inserts? are they worth the price?

Anonymous No. 121682

Rampage in 90 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCy-jHjaXkU

Anonymous No. 121703

>>121682
Nobody?

Anonymous No. 121706

>>121703
I just like to ride single track I'm not that interested in the sport side of mtb

Anonymous No. 121721

>>121638
Very interesting, thanks for your input.

Anonymous No. 121725

>>121706
It's just a bunch of rich dudes doing backflips off of cliffs.

Anonymous No. 121755

>>121703
I really don't enjoy watching slopestyle. Not even A-line is as smooth as those lines. It feels like bmx on big bigs and dirt. I can watch Vital MTB RAW for hours nonstop and Fullattack's qualifs, training, and trackwalk vids, pretty fun.

Anonymous No. 121790

>>121646
I'm way more in shape than most riders. I moved over to mtb from muay thai and waterpolo. Both of those sports kick your ass in cardio compared to biking. Losing traction due to geometry is my biggest concern, not my muscles
>Also do it with a full face
>wearing any helmet for a climb
lmao

Anonymous No. 121791

>>121703
>park bike memes but life threatening b-because

Nobody.

Anonymous No. 121807

>>121790
Ok buddy we’ll see you in a few days with your Strava screenshot

Anonymous No. 121810

>>121703
You aren't going to get a response in a measly three hours on this board anon

Anonymous No. 121854

>>121755
You are thinking of crankworx, rampage is freeride
https://youtu.be/EZVy-Wrncyg

Anonymous No. 121860

>>121807
>implying I care about strava
I didn't even know what it was until last week
>he needs an app to track his fitness
Just go at it like a warrior, that's the extent of my numbercrunching

Anonymous No. 121868

>>121860
>attention seeking martial arts boy
go larp on /out/, /k/ if you need impress others about your fitness and how deadly your body is

Anonymous No. 121874

is there anyway to fudge a cable end crimp
i just opened the package for my new dropper post and they only sent one cable crimp and it launched from the packet and disappeared somewhere inside my room

Anonymous No. 121886

>>121868
Not trying to impress anyone, just telling you you can go shove your advice. If I want to die on a climb, let me die on a climb and mind your own business. I don't need your help

Anonymous No. 121887

>>121868
Also this is /xs/ faggot, literally the martial arts larp board

Anonymous No. 121889

>>121886
I said my piece about full face helmets and then you started like following me around telling me about your day or something I don’t give a fuck what you do bro

Anonymous No. 121897

>>121854
No, thats not freeride. Thats slopestyle on mountains and bike bikes. Did you see the trails? They are smoother than a college girl's legs. The jumps are big, pretty big. Like slopestyle
This is freeride
https://youtu.be/9FSmK0MDxSw
https://youtu.be/MZUsc1ewgUQ

Anonymous No. 121899

>>121889
Yeah cuz you were a fucking pussy that changed your game based off of one little fall. Someone acts like a pussy, I'm gonna tell them

Image not available

640x921

A84122E2-EF9D-429....jpg

Anonymous No. 121927

>>121899
Yeah I changed the game from a $60 giro to actually using the $300 Full face helmet I bought before buying the half shell. I was always intending to ride full face full time but I bitched out afterwards because I was too hot and sweaty, I did try to like it but could barely breathe back then, my fitness has gone up dramatically since then and I think I *can* wear a full face in heat now because I have gotten the fitness up

Anonymous No. 121932

>>121927
JMP bro is that you?

Image not available

1280x1149

A9DE7EE7-7252-469....jpg

Anonymous No. 121936

>>121932
Nope I’m in the potatoes

Anonymous No. 121948

>>121927
That doesn't even make any sense. My fitness is high but I still sweat like a motherfucker. I have to start pulling layers after 30 seconds of any muscle activity, even in the snow. Wearing a fullface in the heat is just mental toughness, not fitness

Anonymous No. 121949

>>121948
I actually did lose 50lbs of weight and got a haircut since I got my helmet so maybe I’m managing sweat better through ventilation or something. All I know is that it’s easier to climb in a full face than it used to be around this temperature

Anonymous No. 121962

>>121645
Learn to ride

Anonymous No. 121978

Is there a way to make screwing in a saddle not suck ass

Anonymous No. 121980

ugh got my new dropper post installed but it had too much travel even after adjustment

Image not available

640x296

mood.jpg

Anonymous No. 121989

>no places to ride
>No park
>Shitty pumptrack that no one uses

Image not available

3840x2160

Rekt toe.jpg

Anonymous No. 121991

Well, season is over. Should've gone for the sam hill impact in late august when I had the chance. 3rd time freeriders were not enough.

Image not available

1077x1077

1665596313968688.jpg

Anonymous No. 121992

>>121962
Sometimes rockgardens are too long to jump so you charge through them after hopping the initial part

Anonymous No. 121996

>>121992
Go slower then. I mean, dont wanna be a douch or something but you pay for your parts, not like pros that are give parts for free

Anonymous No. 122009

>>121989
Build it yourself faggot

Anonymous No. 122010

>>121996
Yeah, took it easy till ride was cut short. Those rims were the stock WTB ones, I expect the ex511 to be sturdier

Anonymous No. 122014

>>122010
Those WTB rims are pure dogshit by the way, might not just be user error at fault here.

Anonymous No. 122020

>>122010
I Can agree, I bought a set of wtb rims because they had the same erd as my old ones. They are dogshit. The rear one is toast, and even the front rim is significantly out of true, after a few big drops. I have only had them for a month and I need new rims. Also for reference I was mostly trying to do Freeride stuff during this time I had them. I'm going to go and buy a set of the new dtswiss Freeride rims next.

Anonymous No. 122046

>>121978
Get real tools if you don't already have them. Trying to hit those angles with a multi tool is rough.

A set of nice Wera hex wrenches is only like $40.

Anonymous No. 122047

>>121949
Your helmet's probably looser since the haircut. I basically wear a crewcut unless these unkept van hippies at whistler

Anonymous No. 122048

>>122047
*unlike

Anonymous No. 122078

>>121563
No... It's fine. So long as the top cap can still tension the stem before it touches the steerer it won't be a problem

Anonymous No. 122079

>>121645
Just bash it straight on the ground or a workbench

Anonymous No. 122080

>>122078
Ya but then the stem is clamping beyond the edge of the steertube

Anonymous No. 122093

Getting into the hobby seriously, didn’t realize it was this much fun. Few questions tho. I have a Jamis DXT sport (hard tail) which feels mostly fine to ride, but between my cardio and some of the more advanced/intermediate trails, riding through large amounts of rocks and other techy terrain can feel impossible when I’m gassed out. I want to make some upgrades to this bike, but would it be better and cheaper long term to just sell it and get a full suspension bike and start there?

Anonymous No. 122095

>>122093
Learn to ride clipless. Get a good tire insert. Rimpact, Vittoria air liner, cushcore, and a downhill casing rear tire. You can ride almost anything that a full suspension can, it's just going to be more difficult.

Anonymous No. 122100

>>122095
Cool, thanks for the advice. I have the shoes already but will need to swap out the pedals. I probably just need to up my cardio game, let myself get out of shape in the summer

Anonymous No. 122117

>>122079
Did it and somewhat fixed, good enough for the final ride of the season. I'll change it during winter

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20221024_0037....jpg

Anonymous No. 122169

Finally came back home to SF Bay yesterday and I chose to go to Lake Cunningham with the dirt jumper first. I didn't get to ride anything in Arizona but looks like there are some good trails judging by all the jagged mountains. I was at Seaworld in San Antonio Texas and at the top of their tallest rollercoasters, I couldn't see a single mountain or hill. What a sad, sad place to live.
4/10, I would never move to Texas to jack up their rent, take their guns away, forcibly transition the kids, and vote blue. Even the road cycling and motorcycling sucks ass there. San Antonio still gets points for having what is possibly the best zoo in the world; I never thought I would ever in my life see caecilians and sirens

Anonymous No. 122271

>>122169
Just looked up both of those animals, they are cool as hell.

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20220126_0236....jpg

Anonymous No. 122478

My gym is closing early on Halloween so I think I'm going to do a spooky night ride at JMP.
I hope there aren't people partying on the trails while I'm there. The dumpsters at the top part of the park always has a ton of trash in it and around it

Image not available

2000x1506

PXL_20221029_1756....jpg

Anonymous No. 122819

Fun day at Waterdog. I'm getting better at riding the off camber singletrackhere

Anonymous No. 122821

What are some good trails near Las Vegas? My friends and I are planning a trip to visit a friend who moved out there and I'm wondering if it's worth bringing my bike so I could go riding for a day or two. I'm a pretty intermediate rider, can handle some harder black trails but can't really rip them yet.

Anonymous No. 122827

>>122821
I've never been there, but Lee Canyon Mountain Bike Park just opened up to the north.

Anonymous No. 122840

>>122821
As far as I know Nevada is kinda fucked for mtb, it’s baffling considering every state that surrounds it has destination-grade trails

Anonymous No. 122860

FOx or Rockshox???

Anonymous No. 122894

>>122860
I have both. I prefer Rockshox for being a little easier to service, but the kashima coating on my fork is great for flexing on the poors despite not being any better than the trim right below it.
I went with a ZEB Ultimate for my new build instead of a Fox 38 because it's supposed to be poppier

Image not available

976x549

1666989918930846.png

Anonymous No. 122899

Has anybody tried continental argotal or Kryptotal front? How does it compare to the magic mary?

Anonymous No. 122974

>>122899
Bro it’s winter just finish off whatever you got left on your current tires

Anonymous No. 123030

>>122899
Got a pair around a month ago coming from magic mary front and rear. I'd say that the kryptotal has significantly more grip than a mary and reminds me of an assegai and the Argotal is similar, maybe a little better than a mary. Riding has been mainly in the UK mud slop, with zero complaints. Only wish I had bought an enduro casing for the front instead of a trail however not had any issues yet.

Anonymous No. 123055

>>122974
>winter
Thats why I need new ones, rear tire is gone and slide when slightly humid. Bigger new knobs front and rear will help
>>123030
>kyrptotal more grip than mary
>argotal better than mary
And between these two? Which is better for mud. I read that the kryptotal is for loose terrain aswell the argotal but the latter is for more humid terrain.
And what about the mud clearing ability? Do you have issues with clogging on the kryptotal FR or RE? The reason why I didn't like the assguy was this, clogged up alot compared to the michelin DH22(superior tire but can't find it anywhere in yurop).
I'm seeing the (kryptotal or argotal) front and the kryptotal Re.

Anonymous No. 123059

>>123055
> can't find michelin mtb tires in europe

Damn, I thought that was the one place you'd be able to find them. I've seen two of their tires in stock in the US and they're a road slick and an older Force.
Still easy to find their motorcycle tires in stock, the Road 6s are great so I expect their MTB tires to be of the same quality.
What about the Pirelli Scorpion Enduros? Some guy in my area posted a scathing review of them because they sucked ass on the trails here, but people suspected they were simply the wrong tires for these trails here and they would be great mudspikes. I've never used their mtb tires, but their gravel cycling tires and motorcycle tires are great.

Anonymous No. 123100

>>123055
The hydrotal is the best for mud, the argotal is second, and the kryptotal is the third best. Source Continental

Anonymous No. 123118

>>123059
>> can't find michelin mtb tires in europe
You can, its just dh22s and the dh34s
>pirelli
I'll take a look at them. They never crossed my mind
>>123100
Yes but as you rode them in uk mud slop. What your impression of those two in mud or loam?

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20221101_0145....jpg

Anonymous No. 123167

The Halloween night ride was fun. Only one other guy showed up but it's fine since we never had any close calls. If you guys haven't tried night riding yet, get some good lights and get to it. It's a lot slower than day riding, but it feels way faster and looser.

Anonymous No. 123256

Quick question.
Is there an age limit where you should just not get into this? I always wanted to do this but never had the money to. Now I'm 29 and have the money to actually get into this.

Anonymous No. 123258

>>123256
You're not too old. I frequently ride with a lot of people in their 40s and 50s. I even encounter seniors who just started riding and they're good.

Anonymous No. 123259

>>123258
Oh wow and this whole time I was feeling like I was too old. Well I think I might try going to a bike shop first and keep looking into this potential future hobby. Only really thought about it again since there is a bunch of local trails within a 15 minute bike ride.

Anonymous No. 123260

>>123256
People mountain bike until they get old and die, it’s not unheard to see even 60+ year old people puttering around on the trails. I see wrinkly people all the time if I happen to go to the trails early enough.

Shredding is more of a young guys sports, you often don’t see people past their 40’s doing extreme downhill riding (with some exceptions), and to be internationally competitive you need to be at your prime in your early 20’s. The major limiter here is that crashing is common in extreme downhill and that doesn’t really bother young people. Older people are done for much longer when they get hurt.

It’s all about conditioning, a young spry 20 year old is gonna be complete garbage his first mtb ride, while an high-level rider will continue to be an high-level rider until their bones fail. There’s a reason “getting passed by an old man” is a meme, if you put in the years you simply WILL be better.

Anonymous No. 123265

>>123260
>Shredding is more of a young guys sports, you often don’t see people past their 40’s doing extreme downhill riding (with some exceptions), and to be internationally competitive you need to be at your prime in your early 20’s. The major limiter here is that crashing is common in extreme downhill and that doesn’t really bother young people. Older people are done for much longer when they get hurt.

I think this really depends on the type of shredding you're doing. Obviously you're going to get really hurt if you're inexperienced at falling and you fail on a massive jump or drop, but if you're not hitting big jumps and drops, you're not likely to end up seriously injured or crippled/ As I said, the guys I ride with are in their 40s and 50s, and we're riding rock gardens, chunk, and flow trails at like 15-30mph, but we're never getting more than 2-3 ft of air. Those guys never want to wear knee pads and elbow pads and they crash a lot more than I do and they get sore and bleed, but they don't get the type of injuries that keep them off the bike for a week or longer. I always wear knee pads and elbow pads when I ride my MTB and I'm fine IF I land on the armor.
But if you have some kind of bleeding or blood clotting condition, or even a compromised immune system, I would say don't get into it just because bleeding shins are common. Maybe stick to XC, climbing is really fun too.

Image not available

1000x666

leafy drop.jpg

Anonymous No. 123279

>>123167
Based. Night riding is underrated, especially when daylight saving robs you of an extra hour of daylight. Definitely makes trails more spooky than they are during the day as well.
The leaves here made my Halloween ride spooky enough by obscuring the rocks and roots lol
>>123256
>Is there an age limit where you should just not get into this?
No.

Anonymous No. 123325

>>123256
I got into it at 28. I'm 39 now and still have fun riding. I've had friends get into it at older ages. Most of my close riding friends all started at the same age as me. I think growing up doing some BMX and riding skateparks in my rollerblades must have helped somewhat.

Anonymous No. 123400

I’m completely happy and satisfied with my suspension performance but JensonUSA has 2022 factory fox 36’s for $600 what do I do

Image not available

621x561

1666736974413010.jpg

Anonymous No. 123410

>>123400
Buy it

Anonymous No. 123415

Do I need a specific bike to enter a club / find frens to cycle with?

I just want two things

1 people to cycle with
2 cycling

I have my old rigid mtb from the 90s with slicks rn, and the only other dude that ever rode with me is a weak ass roadie that can't go further than 30km cause he gets bored if there are no stops at the café

Image not available

1429x2455

noblwheels.png

Anonymous No. 123424

I really want to pull the trigger on these wheels but I have to clear out a lot of space first and I refuse to get rid of any of my other bikes since they occupy different niches. I was heavily considering getting i9 1/1 hubs for this since I have 2 wheelsets with them and they're great, but I want to try riding with silent hubs and see if they really do make diagnosing problems easier.

>>123415
>I have my old rigid mtb from the 90s with slicks rn
You're not going to be shredding down black diamond trails with people riding full suspension bikes, or doing big rides and climbs with XC riders, at least not without serious skills and physical fitness. They're just going to think you're a casual who rides to kill time, and they're not going to seriously consider waiting 10+ minutes for you to catch up and they definitely don't want you slowing them down because your bike broke again
You could ride the same trails as gravel cyclists, but those guys tend to be really fast and have a ton of stamina if they're serious riders so you're not even going to be able to catch up to one to talk to them.
Your best bet is probably to meet people at a local bike party since those rides aren't performance based. You can also ride the easy trails that casual riders frequent, but those types of riders are just out for 20 minutes and you're not going to bond with them over riding.
There is also a community of rich redditors who dump thousands of dollars into fixing up old mtbs like yours, but then you have to talk to redditors and you're definitely not going to ride with people who aren't local.
Just ride by yourself and enjoy that. I do ride with friends and people I meet on the trails and roads, but the vast majority of my rides are solo and I have just as much fun riding by myself because I genuinely enjoy riding.

🗑️ Anonymous No. 123456

>>117864
>Manza

you are such a glownigger spook kike it's fucking insane actually.

I knew you fagots were following all of us, but this is just fucking egregious.. Get fucked you fucking tumorous letch.

You don't represent the average american. you don't represent the average member of whatever race you crawled from, you just are a fucking parasite, existing entirely on the host you ssquirm into. disgusting.

post your mech kike.

Anonymous No. 123457

>>123415

what the fuck is wrong with your brain and soul that you can't just get enjoyment from biking by yourself, for yourself?

you groomer kikes really need to be ejected from this sport. you can't just put your tentacles on everything and claim it as your own.

mountain biking is for proud men - proud, non-kike, non-lgbtq grooming men. and for women too, but not for lecherous kikes like you and the fed at the beginning of this thread trying to honeypot california niggers.

FUCK YOU

Anonymous No. 123467

>>123410
Would it be better to buy the stupid 40mm gravel fork for $550 instead for my gravel bike? The jump from 0mm to 40mm might be a bigger improvement than the jump from 160mm Rhythm to 160mm Factory

Image not available

1080x1320

moneymynigga.jpg

Anonymous No. 123470

>>123467
Do you really need the fork for your gravel bike? I like my gravel bike because I don't have to maintain a suspension. I've met people with Lauf forks and they swear by them. There have also been times where I wish I had some fork suspension, but those rides are uncommon.
Don't get a whole new fork just for kashima coating, I have a fox factory fork with kashima >>122819 and the only benefits to kashima are the looks(subjective) and it has less friction than regular non-kashima forks only when they're running dry, and if you're maintaining your forks, you'll never ride it without oil. If you want to upgrade, see if you can upgrade the damper. The only difference between the Float and Factory forks is the kashima coating.
For the record, I didn't pay full price for a fox factory fork, I got it new and unused from a guy on pinkbike who took it off his yeti sb115 because he wanted the grip2 damper instead of the fit4, and for some reason, he didn't want to just change out the damper.

Anonymous No. 123488

>>123456
>>123457
Take your meds.

Image not available

1570x772

brave_HLHzygLPNA.jpg

Anonymous No. 123493

>>123488

Terrence Yeakey didn't kill himself, Kike.

See you on the trail, Glowie fed kike. I'll be the one leaving you in my dust.

Anonymous No. 123516

>>123470
You got a point about upgradeability, my rhythm *might* be able to upgrade to GRIP2 and I don’t care about kashima. Plus that’s the bike where I’d be leaning towards a coil conversion anyways before a damper upgrade

I’ve never ridden a bike with under 150mm suspension so the “do you really NEED suspension?” argument is kinda lost on me, I don’t know what a road bicycle is. My consideration is whether 2.6” tires can overwhelm 2.0” tires + 40mm suspension. Don’t wanna have to be limited to pansy ass gravel tires, but I also do strongly believe in the power of suspension, it belongs on things rolling at high speeds on rough terrain.

🗑️ Anonymous No. 123552

>>123516
well, if you think you need a suspension fork, then get one. I just bring out my mountain bike when I want to hit the rough stuff. A suspension would just slow me down on 90% of what I ride

Image not available

3072x4080

PXL_20220121_0104....jpg

Anonymous No. 123553

>>123516
well, if you think you need a suspension fork, then get one. A suspension would just slow me down on 95% of what I ride on my gravel bike. I've hit a few blues and a lot of greens on my gravel bike, but when I want to hit blues and harder, I bring out the mountain bike. I do sometimes I wish I had Lauf fork when the local gravel trails have been torn up by cows

Anonymous No. 123595

>>118598
>This is what snow niggers actually believe

Anonymous No. 123638

What do you guys think about Halo wheels and rims. I have had not very good luck with Hope and halo makes some strong rims.

Anonymous No. 123823

Push ElevenSix shocks are $400 off right now. I'm tempted to get one for my Wreckoning V3 build but I haven't ridden the bike yet(still incomplete) so I can't justify $800+$95 for the hypercoil+tax when the stock RS shock with a heavier coil is probably good enough. Seems like it's more of a high performance coil for hugging the ground than something for bump jumping off rocks and roots

Anonymous No. 123834

>>123516

Yes you can fit a grip2 into a rhythm, people do it - you'd still be stuck with the rhythm air spring (unless you coil it) and the heavier lowers and limited to 170mm travel. I guess it all depends on what the cost of a grip2 on its own is. I think the grip1 dampener is a really good dampener for an entry/mid teir fork and you should only get the grip2 if you have a good understanding of HSC vs LSC and HSR vs LSR because if you don't know what you are doing you can set them up to be a really horrible fork.

I'm not suggesting you will, just saying I know a few noob riders who bought bikes covered on kashima parts for the bling but don't know how to set them up and they don't ride nicely at all. At least with grip1 or fit4 you only have 2 knobs and 1 is hidden behind a cap.

Anonymous No. 123856

are there any 4e wide riding shoes (for flats)?
i just use my normal shoe that fits well enough but it seems to slide off the pedal very easily.

Image not available

460x711

brave_7JedpZxWwL.png

Anonymous No. 123993

>>123856
Once you find the right size pedals for your wide-ass obese-ass feet, I'm sure the pounds will just slide right off bubba.

Anonymous No. 124093

>>123553
I ordered the stupid 40mm gravel fork, it came and I went to swap it and my dumb ass didn’t realize my gravel bike actually has a straight fork in a tapered-capable headtube, so now I need a new headset which is on its way. On the bright side I have a 29” straight steerer fork with a long AtC, that’s like fucking gold for gravel conversions nowadays.
I also was gonna have the shop do the headset install and swap (the one I bought the bike from, that includes free labors that I’ve never used) but this all includes hammers and saws and shit and I just don’t trust any employees of any businesses anywhere anymore with shit I care about. So I also ordered $150 extra worth of tools to install this fork myself because I’m too scared of incompetence in society
Weight of the suspension fork (calling it my Fox 40) is actually almost the same as my steel rigid fork, so I’m excited for big gains with basically no downsides
$2700 bike came with a loose-bearing headset, god damn…

Anonymous No. 124107

>>124093
Sounds very cool. When are you going to make the first 26" 29" mullet gravel bike, With that fork? I had the kid in the shop in my local bike shop almost strip my through axel, I also figured that I am just going to buy the parts and install them myself from now on.

Anonymous No. 124113

>>124093
I'm just too cheap and impatient to take my bike to shops for work. I can bleed my brakes in 20 minutes by myself, OR I can spend a few minutes on the phone with the staff to schedule an appointment, drive 5-10 minutes each way to the shop, drop my bike off, then wait a few weeks because the shop has to get through their massive backlog of replacing 26" tubes and tightening up brake and shifter cables for walmart shitbikes.

Anonymous No. 124114

>>124113
>I'm troubled and annoyed by having to wait at the bike shop. How dare these peasants stand in my way by having their ancient wheels or cables serviced, on a bike not bought at a fine boutique nonetheless. A refined gentleman, like myself, can bleed his brakes in a mere 20 minutes. Ha, my intellectual prowess and mechanical comprehension puts to shame those lowly grease monkeys.

Anonymous No. 124119

>>124113
Find a better bike shop.

>>124114
Take your meds.

Anonymous No. 124120

>>124114
This, but unironically. I don't want the same hands that touch a bike bought for $50 in 2003 to touch my $8000 carbon fiber performance machine

Anonymous No. 124127

>>124120
>carbon MTB
Ok Joey

Anonymous No. 124163

>>124114
He’s got a point though, one of the purposes of a bike shop is to do the menial shit you don’t want to do, for money. I had to press a shop for like an hour to wrap my bar tape for me (I had never wrapped bar tape, and was heading out for a ride, did not care about perfection, explained this) and they kept going on about “well you can do it, it’s fun and easy and a good learning experience and it’ll take us about 3 hours” and I just wanted to pay money for bicycle service.
The next week I call in asking about metallic SRAM code brake pads (that have been the exact same pad design since 2011 codes, which I also have owned) and the guy says “there’s a lot of models of those brakes, bro, you gotta bring your bike in so we can make sure what pads you need”

People are hiring the retarded for all businesses and it’s not okay

Anonymous No. 124165

>>124163
sounds like you should go to a better bike shop

Anonymous No. 124167

>>124114
>>124120
Kek

Anonymous No. 124176

>>124163
They (correctly) assume you are a moron and don't know what brakes you are using.

Anonymous No. 124177

>>124165
>>124176
I asked the other shop the same thing and they said “organic or sintered?” and I paid for them and that was that

Anonymous No. 124215

>>124163
>bar tape
I had to look this up, as I hate urban cyclists with a passion

Anonymous No. 124219

>>124215
Drop bars are one of the things I don’t understand why it hasn’t made its way into mtb, my ritchey bars are literally as wide as my 2008 Enduro bike’s bars, everybody is going megasweep and ergonomic-focused with less and less rise, wide flared drop bars fit into the equation just fine

Anonymous No. 124233

>>123993
What an obnoxious post.

Image not available

941x831

they_killed_trevo....jpg

Anonymous No. 124235

>>124233
fitness is important anon. it's not natural or godly for a human being to a have a size 4e foot. That's obesity and it's caused by one of the seven sins - gluttony.

I am merely asserting my god-given right to call this person a fat ass and to verbally deride them for their poor choices from the comfort of my porcelein throne.

also, race me on a mountain bike then if you think you're so cool. I bet I'm faster than you and that I know more about fixing mechanical issues than you do so thereore I'm just a superior form of person to the miserable lump of clay that is you.

Anonymous No. 124238

>>124233
I just ignored it
It's most likely that guy that's come in and spammed stupid pol buzzwords lately

Image not available

871x530

cyclist4.jpg

Anonymous No. 124240

>>124219
I agree. When I descend on my gravel bike, the lower position feels more stable than if I were on flat bars. Braking in the drops also feels more comfortable than braking on flat bars. I don't know if the same descents on the same mtb would be more comfortable with drops bars though. I don't want to rig up GRX brifters to work with SLX, XT, XTR, or Saint brakes, and a shimano mtb drivetrain just to test it out, I'll leave it up to youtubers to figure that shit out.
I don't think it'll solve arm pump since I've ended up getting really sore from braking through prolonged steep descents, but the lower position does feel more stable, and it reduces the chances of going OTB, but going OTB is a braking technique issue.

Image not available

866x475

I hate you.jpg

Anonymous No. 124248

>>124235

Image not available

2160x1211

1667235175568592.jpg

Anonymous No. 124257

>>124235
Kek. There are several here who think they mountain bike. They either ride in San Francisco's horse shit ridden green fire trails or in netherlands(kek). Btw where do you ride as you are throwing shit around

Image not available

590x317

science.png

Anonymous No. 124260

>>124238
you're in the top 5 faggots at the CIA dude. easily.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6517153/

Image not available

257x345

brave_mqUAFzNuxY.png

Anonymous No. 124261

>>124248

I type that way because I wholly disregard any other person on this entire website. Your opinions are next to worthless and I spit on your lineage. Next time you're out riding, you probably could save some time and spare other humans by removing your seat post and just directly mounting your asshole on top of the seat tube. 777666

Image not available

1136x760

brave_A1mUCGbVmg.jpg

Anonymous No. 124262

>>124257
Nice try glownigger.

I mountain bike exclusively in New Swabia.

Anonymous No. 124263

>>124261
No, you type like that 'cause you're a redditor, faggot.

Anonymous No. 124265

>>124263
honestly though, typing is an act of performance. how I arrange my letters and words, sentence structure and spacing - all of that is elemental. the fulcrum of this performance is in how I choose, or choose not to, aid the reader.

If I want to deliver punchy, effective points, it makes sense to space out ideas like this you nonce.

Anonymous No. 124266

>>124263
also, I haven't had a reddit account since 2018 and I've been on this shit hole since 2008 so you look fucking dumb.

Anonymous No. 124267

This guy's cool as heck

Anonymous No. 124270

>>124267
who me? yeah I am cool, thanks though for noticing.

mountain biking is a pretty cool sport when you just remember to rotely mock and disregard any and all fags who claim to be real mountain bikers. this is a gate-guarded culture just like surfing - if you're chill, you're just recognized as chill. if you're a douchenozzle rich guy who fronts in your xterra kingcab with your fucking dakine mat over your truck bed gate, you just scream tool to all of us naturally cool and awesome bikers out here.

It's like, come on, it's obvious who is cool and who is not cool. we all know it innately and it's like why must we fight so hard against laws of nature? it's so easy to be cool, you just actively choose not to be a douche but also simultaneously know that you're blessed and uniquely better than everyone else around you, but you don't tell people that they just know it to be true and get in line (OR they freak out and keep playing avenged sevenfold on volume 17 in their nissan titan and dread going home to their kids whom they actually hate but still get ruthlessly mad at anyone else who has cooler kidss at church than him (which is everyone because he's a faggot dad)).

Image not available

3072x4080

PXL_20220910_1548....jpg

Anonymous No. 124271

> check trailforks to see how the trails have handled the recent rain
> looks like it's hero dirt
> hiking only trail we're not supposed to ride on, but nobody hikes and everyone rides anyway is now classified as a black
I don't know how this could be a black, the hardest things about it are the fallen logs you have to roll over but those are only hard because it comes up after a climb so getting enough speed for it is hard. There is also a hard technical climb on it. I guess I've just been thinking that difficulty is equal to danger, so while parts of this trail have some difficulty, it's not a dangerous trail.
The good news is that it should be some good hero dirt for Veteran's day unless the storm yesterday turned the loose dust into peanut butter.

Anonymous No. 124272

>>124270
> referenced Nissans twice
That's weird, Tacomas and 4Runners are the defacto cars for MTBers, the parking lots here are full of them. I've seen more sports cars and priuses hauling up bikes than practical Nissans.

Anonymous No. 124273

He doesn't give a flip

Image not available

652x678

brave_7DhcFrxIPF.png

Anonymous No. 124275

>>124272
I just looked up 2011 4runner sr5s, not a single one had under 100k miles for under $15k which is just obscene.

Priuses are for giga-fags and I intensely question every single person who drives one, even an old one like an 08.

What sports cars do you notice the most with MBs strapped on?

The majority of bikers here are in very overpriced, flashy truccs and it's just so egregious I mention Nissan a lot because that's what they have for some god-knows -reason. Imagine that....a $50k truck you never use as a truck just to hang your $7k Santa Cruz off the back? Kek.

If I had fuck-you disposable income like that, I'd just get a really tricked out Ford transit and build some kind of rack/seat combo int eh rear because they're only 2-seaters as far as I know in the smaller compact form which I like a lot more than the big gaudy awd one I've seen.

I won't ever, hopefully, be forced to drve a cucked modern american (assembled in Mexico) truck/suv with always-on data streaming to and from it to spy on my super cool activities and trails I ride at....but it seems that's becoming an inevitable fate for us all....

is it illegal to just invent my own car and drive it? why can't I do that?

Image not available

652x652

jeew_spotteed_eww.jpg

Anonymous No. 124276

>>124271

>Doesn't link the actual trailforks link despite explicitly brining it up and taking an obnoxious photo of the trailhead

Californians deserve everything they have now and have coming to them :)

Image not available

2000x1506

PXL_20220806_1929....jpg

Anonymous No. 124279

>>124275
The Prius C is great and I regret shitting on them so much in the past. You just fold down the rear seats and shove an entire bike into it with no effort. I drove one around for close to a month while I waited for my new car to be delivered since I sold my car too early, it was such a perfect shitbox that rattled in all the right ways.
Surprisingly, I've seen several S2000s with bike racks, I even saw one hauling ass through the twisties with the bike still on it. It's by far the most common sports car I've seen hauling bikes which is surprising since they're not common cars. Up next it's a 3 way tie between Mustangs, BRZs, and Miatas. On this particular day, this wasn't even the only miata I saw here.
Even though the majority of the cars here are tacos and 4runners, they're not flashy. They're either regular cars or some expensive overland build which may or may not be used for overlanding.
I did consider getting a van and modifying it like you suggested, but it's overkill for taking my bikes to trails 20-60 minutes away and taking my motorcycle to a track day once a year. I'm pretty sure the GMC Savana is still the same van from the early 90s. Vans are also really expensive now, everything from Transits to Sprinters

Anonymous No. 124280

>>124279
And to add onto this. Every time I see a brand new Audi in the parking lot. It's always a middle aged white guy who doesn't have a rack so he disassembles his bike to get it in the trunk.

Image not available

286x204

a7c.gif

Anonymous No. 124346

>>124262
>he shits on others
>he rides in horse shit ridden fire trails with 50mD-
Kek

Image not available

1517x1000

1533096392939.jpg

Anonymous No. 124377

Demo tomorrow morning at 9am. Meet at the bridge. Bring a lot of water and snacks because we're doing two laps
If you didn't get the day off, then sorry

Anonymous No. 124381

>>124377
Ok but I get to suck your nipples this time

Image not available

1500x999

1533095113526.jpg

Anonymous No. 124385

>>124381
No biting

Anonymous No. 124419

Is tubeless with inserts worth it? (on a hardtail)

Image not available

295x735

sam_gerth.jpg

Anonymous No. 124434

>>124346

what the heck is a 50mD-?

>talks shit about me talking shit
>adds no significant bants himself
>probably isn't even schizoaffective
>probably talks about in-n-out like he's the only one in the world who knows about the triple-triple with animal style
>100% rides a faggy IBis or a Yeti.
>still masturbates to Paramore and that clone from Evangelion
>should just end it all now

Anonymous No. 124437

>>124419
It is if your riding is denting your rims, burping your tires, and peeling your tires off the rim.

Anonymous No. 124438

>>124419

I used to think tubeless was very queertastic because Stans and Goo was the sub-standard jizzum they loaded into my tires for some reason.

I now have orange seal in my tubes and no issues.

Doing tubeless yourself sucks ass. I don't relish the experience.

Anonymous No. 124442

I’ve had basically no issues with tubeless whatsoever for the last 12 years but clearly people still believe it’s something difficult or finicky

Image not available

320x240

C79616D6-F214-42B....jpg

Anonymous No. 124445

I’m gonna do it I’m gonna swap my headset and install a 40mm suspension fork onto my gravel bike, with steerer sawing and star nut installation, at midnight in my moms house
Already gouged the fuck out of my steertube leaving a stupid grub screw poking out in my $16 crown race installer pipe

Anonymous No. 124460

>>124434
>what the heck is a 50mD-?
50 meters D-(descent)
Its like you don't even ride to know this. You probably are the dutchkek riding in dykes that doesn't know descent
>>124442
I've seen several retard niggers put sealant before seating and inflating tires.

Anonymous No. 124461

>>124460
I do that too if I’m already confident the tires mount well but I don’t do that with new tires. I’ve never come close to blowing a bead off a rim I don’t know how people do it, I just pump normal PSI in the tire and wiggle it to seat it Ive never needed 60psi in the tire or some shit, you might need 60psi in the air compressor just to get half of that air blasted in enough time (which I’ve needed like 4 times out of dozens and dozens of seatings with a pump) but I don’t even see how you can just blow a bead off a rim

Anonymous No. 124469

>>124460
I've always known you tulip-mania clog-wearing niggers were chugging lead paint from birth but oh boy did you just confirm my suspicions I've held for 48 years about your kind.

LITERALLY - no person outside of your cuckhole talks about trails with descents attached kek.

Also, for what it's worth, I have a 1000 foot descent here bitch.

Anonymous No. 124471

>>124445
post a better photo, maybe one not made for ants, so I can laugh at you.

Image not available

398x470

DE38607A-2525-4C0....jpg

Anonymous No. 124472

>>124471

Image not available

541x335

please.jpg

Anonymous No. 124480

>>124472
>(56 KB, 398x470)

Anonymous No. 124481

>>124472
>loose pubic hair in your headset race
This is why my bike was squeaky and probably why it keeps getting squeaky

Image not available

1080x1030

Screenshot_202211....jpg

Anonymous No. 124483

>>124469
>I have a 1000 foot descent here bitch
lol lmao, stick to your ant mounds.
>no person outside of your cuckhole talks about trails with descents attached
People with hills and mountains need numbers for scale and sense purposes

Anonymous No. 124484

>>124461
Some are hard to seat, my schwalbe was used and was still hard to seat. As I don't have a compressor I took it to the bike shop and it blew off the rim. I was smart and I didn't put sealant

Anonymous No. 124485

>>124472
Atleast it's not carbon
>>124460
I have a 3500 foot decent near me. When the decent is that long it's honestly very tiring. 1-2k feet of decent is the sweet spot for having fun.

Image not available

790x783

brave_C8vude1u8F.png

Anonymous No. 124487

>>124483

I get my biking where I can get it and I bike 15 miles every single day on trails. I'm still a more fit and mentally stable and cooler person and biker than you. Take your strava and shove it right on up your pooper dude.

Anonymous No. 124488

>>124485

>fellow carbon-hating chad

You get put into the ovens last bud.

Anonymous No. 124489

>>124485
Yeah, 600m is a good spot. But I find its not enough to kill the insatiable need to go down. At the bottom I'm warmed up and can take everything

Image not available

679x376

Copium.jpg

Anonymous No. 124492

>>124487
>super copium
Or what are you gonna do? Climb the ant hill 7 times to get the same descent amount I do kek. Good cope

Anonymous No. 124494

>>124492
bruh. jews did 9/11 along with the cia. just stop.

Anonymous No. 124516

>>124484
The old man who built my current residence left a 20gal speedaire in the garage. My butchers are a pain in the ass to get on the rim, but once they do, its just PSSSSHHHH and POP POP POP

Anonymous No. 124518

>>124488
I don't hate carbon, but if I am going to have my only mountain bike be carbon I am keeping a spare frame on hand, just like if I was to buy a carbon wheels I would buy two sets. I honestly need a second rear wheel period.

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20221111_1835....jpg

Anonymous No. 124520

Mostly hero dirt out today. Nobody came to suck my nipples which is disappointing since it was in the 40s the whole time we were riding so they were hard.

>>124484
I think it depends on the rim too. It's so much harder to seat and break the beads on ENVE rims. I even looked up bead breaking techniques youtube because I was having so much trouble and the guy in the video was also using an ENVE rim. I'm glad their carbon is strong because I have to use a ton of force on them with the tire levers, I've even broken some before I really figured out the technique.

Image not available

4000x3000

16682136702494897....jpg

Anonymous No. 124523

I recently moved to the flatland and the only riding is xc, even the hardest trails are still easy besides the jump lines. I decided that in order to have any fun I needed less bike, so now I am going to try riding everything on a fully rigid MTB from the 90s. I might buy an old suspension fork if it's too rough as is.

Basically an MTB from 1996 that is everything a modern gravel bike is.

Anonymous No. 124524

>>124469
48 years, are you the oldest person in 4chan?

Image not available

512x384

EE3B3158-3861-4D6....png

Anonymous No. 124548

>>124524
I become a wizard in 3 months so that’s something

Image not available

240x240

1663795373963092.gif

Anonymous No. 124567

>>124523
>recently moved to the flatland
Why ? Job? I rather earn less but be able to ride and hike in the mountains

Anonymous No. 124591

jfc what happened to /mtb/?
this thread used to be chill and erudite

Image not available

1200x675

1558652671991.jpg

Anonymous No. 124593

>>124591
same shit that always happens. A troll comes in looking for attention and the morons in the thread indulge him so he sticks around since it's easy (You)'s

Image not available

719x760

shithole.jpg

Anonymous No. 124609

i fucking hate to be a poorfag living in a thirld world country where MTB isn't even a thing, shitty bikes are double the price and there are no trails at all, even though we have an amazing landscape for this kind of sports everywhere you go is private property except for the "street"

Image not available

720x960

wpr29z3hh3v81.jpg

Anonymous No. 124618

Finally got my dropper post installed and it's the perfect height when fully extended
Only a little bit of play in the lever because my cable got a bit fucked up when I was sizing it but it's all good baby

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20221112_2232....jpg

Anonymous No. 124620

I used my rest day to install some parts on my frame. I installed the bb, crank, chainring, bashguard, I replaced the bolts with titanium bling, and I took out the stock spring on the shock and replaced it with a heavier 400lb spring. I don't want to do any more work on it until I order the wheels just because cutting the fork and installing it would make the frame harder to store until I have all the parts and can store it with my other bikes

Anonymous No. 124624

>>124609
Sounds like you should get some land and start cutting trails
It's really not too hard, just takes a while by hand

Anonymous No. 124643

>>124609
Do you have national parks in your area? A lot of mountain bike trails are just old horse trails, logging roads, and hiking trails.

Anonymous No. 124686

If I'm installing a new fork and going from a 47mm rake to a 44mm rake it's really not going to be that big of a difference, right?

Anonymous No. 124687

>>124567
College, I still go and drive the 2.5 hours up to the mountains to go ride anyways. I'm in Charlotte NC to do school for mechanical engineering for reference. I can say that my respect for black people has declined since I moved. Including living with a black roommate.

Anonymous No. 124695

>>124609
what country mate? it looks does look perfect
start digging and make it a thing, natural trails best trails

Anonymous No. 124727

>>124686
There’s a good chance that going from skinnier tires to thicker tires changes your mechanical trail more than 3mm of fork offset
Don’t worry too much about offset, it’s not a very big deal, it’s just another aspect of geometry we haven’t played with in a long time (going from 26” to 29” was basically the first time people gave a shit about offset, and both total wheel diameter and offset is directly related to mechanical trail) so everybody is excited to hype up their “enhancements” just because it’s new, regardless of whether it’s actually any better

Image not available

1080x1073

Screenshot_202211....jpg

Anonymous No. 124750

>We have taken note of your request of November 13, 2022, regarding the availability of DH 22 tires.
>Unfortunately, manufacturing being a very complex logistics, we cannot have any information or supply date on any bicycle tire, please wait and redirect you to an alternative solution while waiting to be able to see you again with Michelin tires
9 months without tires and they don't even know when they'll stock them up. My bike will look ugly without michelin's cool yellow/blue logo if I go with the wild enduro

Anonymous No. 124751

>>119477
>Just go into debt, it's what I do
Industry professional here. By the summer the average is going to be priced out of all cycling.

Anonymous No. 124767

>>124750
I hear the new continental's are supposed to be very good. They were winning downhill races in the 2022 world cup season so they should be atleast very good. are you a euro anon? I have seen a singular set of dh22 hanging in a shop by me this summer in the states.

Anonymous No. 124788

>>124767
I've seen them. The kryptotal Re soft being the other rear tire option but I don't know how good the enduro casing is

Anonymous No. 124789

>>124751
How much will it be rising? Any numbers?

Anonymous No. 124816

>>124789
1 million dollars

Anonymous No. 125056

New thread
>>125052

Anonymous No. 127716

>>118225
modern bikes feel boring and cumbersome to me, like driving an suv offroad
i much prefer my rigid 90s shitboxes much more fun to me and much more versitile for more /n/ type use
also i can maintain this shit myself easily
modern aressive mountain bikes feel great when bombing gnarly shit but suck for absolutely everything else

Anonymous No. 127717

>>118396
thats hot ive been thinking of making a dirt fixie too

Anonymous No. 127718

>>118558
skateparks like trails are just places to practice and hone your skills for the real offroad riding

Anonymous No. 127719

>>118645
i ride offroad alot but have no experiecne riding on road outside of country lanes and find riding amongst cars really scary so i ride on the pavement
out in the sticks nobody cares because thw pavements are empty but i recently moved into london (not by choice) and really want to get back on my bike as driving here is miserable takes ages and costs a fortune
i see mountain bikers riding on pavements quite often but they have to go really slowly because of all the police and pedestrians so it doest look like a valid way of getting anywhere
idk what to do i cant just take my mountain bike into the chaos of the traffic with no roadie experience can i?
i feel like maybe swapping some road tyres onto my bike too while im here
god i cant wait to be in the country again

Anonymous No. 127721

>>120027
just take out the bearings and clean them no need to replace the whole pedal because a few grains of sand got in

Anonymous No. 127722

>>120252
>nosediving every jump
an otb was bound to happen
people really need to learn to get their shit perfect before getting ballsy on bigger shit or its just asking for a crash

Anonymous No. 127723

>>120873
an enduro bike is a racing machine not practical or comfortable for normal riding
a trail bike is a real mountain bike for real riding
unless you are a racer id reccomend the trail bike

Anonymous No. 127725

>>120899
>be me
>summer
>be riding half naked to not overheat (short shorts and a cropped tank) yes im a hoe
>going down very steep footpath
>a long nettle has grown across the path
>try to find some weird body position to dodge under it
>cant get low enough
>end up clumbsily otbing at very low speed
>tumble into a whole ditch of nettles
>bike landed on top of me but didnt hurt me
>freind had to pull bike off me while trapped under it in the nettles
>have to ride around stingy all over looking like i have some horrible skin desease
>thankfully we had weed to numb the pain
fuck nettles my small town has gotten invaded by them fucking everywhere is covered in them and every year they spread more
wish we could genocide these cunt plants
i did learn my lesson though not to ride half naked where i know theres nettles though

Anonymous No. 127726

>>120911
how big was the rock?

Anonymous No. 127727

>>121033
honestly i liked him more when he was seths bike hacks
his channel had a more cosy down to earth feel but now hes all over proffessional n shit
im still subbed but i dont rly watch him much anymore unless im rewatching old vids

Anonymous No. 127728

>>121163
based i really wanna get a 3x125 set up for getting around town fast
/xs/ really needs an inlineskategen
the sport seems to be alive again a bit rn

Anonymous No. 127729

>>121302
i wasted money on a fullface
just get a regular helmet

Anonymous No. 127730

>>121361
this

Anonymous No. 127731

>>121427
a basic hardtail fullsus is a meme for downhill racers

Anonymous No. 127732

>>121645
true it yourself?

Anonymous No. 127734

>>121936
thats a nice frame

Anonymous No. 127735

>>122860
rigid

Anonymous No. 127736

>>123167
i love night riding
i really need to get a better headtorch tho
i bought the absolute cheapest one i could find on aliexpress and regret it because the strap keeps falling off

Anonymous No. 127737

>>123415
90s mtbs are peak just put some good tyres on it and youl be right
your freind sounds shit btw

Anonymous No. 127738

>>123457
>t. m*le on a gimmick that costed as much as a car got over taken by a tranny on a bike older than you

Anonymous No. 127739

>>123493
actual schizo holy shit
litterally what does this have to do with mountain bikes?

Anonymous No. 127740

>>124248
thats not reddit spacing dumbass read your own fucking pic
putting spaces between blocks of text is normal

Anonymous No. 127741

>>124523
hot bike