Image not available

608x1080

Judo Ruslan Pasha....webm

🧵 /judo/ - Judo General

Anonymous No. 138304

Thread for judo (other jacketed wrestling styles welcome)

>IJF World Tour Schedule 2023

March 24-26 - Tbilisi Grand Slam
March 31-April 2 - Antalya Grand Slam
June 23-25 - Ulaanbaatar Grand Slam
August 4-6 - Hungary Grand Slam
August 18-20 - Zagreb Grand Prix
September 22-24 - Baku Grand Slam
October 20-22 - Abu Dhabi Grand Slam
December 2-3 - Tokyo Grand Slam

>watch:
https://www.youtube.com/c/judo
live.ijf.org

previous thread: >>123902

Image not available

608x1080

Judo Peter Paltch....webm

Anonymous No. 138306

Image not available

608x1080

Judo Clarisse Agb....webm

Anonymous No. 138307

Image not available

608x1080

Judo Sagi Muki Te....webm

Anonymous No. 138308

Image not available

608x694

Judo Sami Chouchi....webm

Anonymous No. 138309

Image not available

608x1080

Judo Zelim Kotsoi....webm

Anonymous No. 138310

Anonymous No. 138312

When is the Ude Garami finally going to be banned? It's a shoulder lock and shouldn't be allowed in the first place. I'm sick of the IJF basing it's rule changes around the Olympics so it takes longer for new bans to come into effect.

Anonymous No. 138313

>>138312
>asking for the ijf to ban more stuff
Faggot, get out of my sport

Anonymous No. 138315

>>138312
sounds like a skill issue

Image not available

1844x286

4224245.png

Anonymous No. 138438

Has Judo changed your life in any way?
>found on /fit/

Anonymous No. 138454

>>138438
Not in a big glamorous way like that anon. But I would say that it gave me some self-confidence, discipline, getting back up after taking a fall, etc. So overall it has been a positive effect on my life. I started as a kid 20 years ago just practicing casually once a week.

Anonymous No. 138469

Michi finally got an Ippon.

Anonymous No. 138477

>>138438
I am still a very anxious person, but judo has made me feel like I can handle a confrontation just a little bit better than before, which made me a lot less anxious

Anonymous No. 138482

>>138438
Lmao what an autistic retard. How the fuck is he a white belt after seven years? And using fake names? Why? This has to be a schizopost.

Anonymous No. 138483

>>138438
It got me into shape as a kid and my judo base greatly helped my wrestling in high school. And it helped me in a jam once when a drunk asshole took a swing at me and I had to Tai otoshi him.

Image not available

333x250

DecentGlassAidi-s....gif

Anonymous No. 138487

Hello,

Question regarding Soto-makikomi. Do I have to fall with Uke or can I still stand?

Anonymous No. 138512

>>138487
Makikomi means wrap around. Makikomi requires you wrap the opponents arm around your body and then roll to the floor with them. There’s no way to do it while remaining standing.

Anonymous No. 138531

What are the chances you'll get injured or break a bone as a new older beginner, beginner group or recreational.

Anonymous No. 138536

>>138512
You can do a ugly version of it where you don't fall. However if you're trying to perform it for a grading, you have to fall.

Anonymous No. 138537

>>138536
Do you have a video of this “ugly version?” I’ve never seen it done that way and I can’t even imagine why you would.

Anonymous No. 138545

>>138537
no because makikomi throws are pretty rare in comps and aren't that talked about, i was just using ugly judo as the term for untraditional or botched judo moves.

Anonymous No. 138546

>>138487
>>138512
>>138531
>>138536
>>138537
>>138545
You can stand, but you'll break Uke's arm.

Anonymous No. 138553

>>138304
Should I take Judo or BJJ at an MMA gym?
I love standup desu but I dunno if judo or wrestling will be more fun.

Anonymous No. 138562

>>138553
If you’re going to an mma gym and have the option to do both why wouldn’t you do both? If you’re concerned about what’s more fun (not a criticism I tell everyone to train the martial arts they enjoy because otherwise people drop out) give both judo and wrestling a try at your gym and decide which you like more. Hell if you have the time do all three.

Image not available

720x748

6d7c32e2e03ae9946....jpg

Anonymous No. 138565

>>138312
don't even put this shit in my fucking head, it does not need to be banned

Anonymous No. 138566

>>138482
I've met a couple judokas who haven't changed their belts for years.

Anonymous No. 138570

>>138531
Negligible. You will probably be paired with someone experienced who knows how to hold back. Don't be a retard and push yourself to the limit, take a break when needed. I am in a more recreational group, and the only ones that I see hurting themselves/each other are the 14-17 year olds.

Anonymous No. 138573

>>138566
I've had a brown belt for almost 10 years, because taking exams was too much of a pain in the ass. and before that I was a couple of years on blue for the same reason.

Anonymous No. 138585

>>138304
What does /judo/ think about Japanese Jiu Jitsu? I haven't looked into the specifics yet but from what I watched yesterday (they were practicing alongside us) it's just judo with atemi.

Anonymous No. 138589

>>138585
I wish Jujutsu was preserved and well documented. There's a lot of stuff that was lost when Japan modernized during the Meiji era. Kano preserved the trapping grappling, submission and ground fighting of Koryu and made it safe for practice. However the unique strikes, weapons (jujutsu isn't just unarmed fighting), rope tying, and other facets were dropped or forgotten.

Nowadays we have safety gear and awareness of biomechanics to apply those more dangerous methods to practice. It's a lot like how bare-knuckle boxing had throws and trips along with purring kicks before Queensbury instituted gloves.

Image not available

1137x743

download.jpg

Anonymous No. 138599

What are some options to handle the lower wrestling stances? I know they tend to focus on single/double leg takedowns, so sprawling works well but what else works? Pic related.

Anonymous No. 138600

>>138599
Make them touch your leg so the ref shidos them until the lose by disqualification.

Anonymous No. 138601

>>138566
>>138573
My club, and as far as I know none of the other clubs in the area, require you to test for anything other than your black belt.

Also even if that’s the case the guy in >>138438
Is still majorly schizophrenic

Anonymous No. 138604

>>138599
Ive never done strict judo, only wrestling and grappling with some judo dudes. It kinda depends on the style the wrestler is using. If they are folkstyle or freestyle, then getting them to stand up out of the stance works pretty well at making them more imbalanced and takes away alot of weapons. Just getting then to stand isn't enough, you've got to control the level changes, so clinching and/or good underhooks. Alot of head pressure and posting works to get counter pressure, and get them to stand. Foot sweeps are always a surprise for me because they are pretty rare in wrestling outside of single legs. Now if you're training with gecko dudes, all that shit goes out the window, because I'd say gecko and judo a much more similar in stance and takedowns. Just my 2 cents

Anonymous No. 138617

>>138599
Low stance sucks in the Gi. You can just get two collar grips and now they can't shoot at your legs without getting launched, while you can mess with snapdowns and osoto all you want. This is how I beat BJJ guys in standup, get two collars and start foot sweeping, it's low risk high reward.

I'm assuming you're asking about the Gi. Nogi isn't really Judo anymore

Image not available

563x619

cunny basami.png

Anonymous No. 138751

UOOOOOOHHH ToT KANI BASAMI SO KINSHI ToT ToT

Anonymous No. 138772

>tfw working on my ouchi has been paying off

Image not available

360x202

hikikomigaeshi.gif

Anonymous No. 138781

>>138599
Belt grip + your best throw.

I usually do back sacrifice throws like Hikikomi gaeshi because they're easy to do against someone who's leaning forward.

Anonymous No. 138810

As someone who does bjj and wish to dabble in judo but not long term, how long would it take to learn some basics?

Anonymous No. 138812

>>138599
with gi or nogi?
with nogi you do a front headlock, separate your hips from their hands, make them go par terre, go from there. with gi you grab the back of their collar and keep breaking their posture, try preventing the hand youre holding with hikite from getting a grip. if its bjj you force them into par terre and go into one of the most dominant grappling position of backmount. if you do judo you can do a strong harai goshi, uchimata, osoto, sasae, and all sacrifice throws are great when their posture is broken, basically any throws where they go forward is likely to succeed.

im convinced that the low wrestling style is only good for pure folkstyle wrestling where shooting and top position is everything, which is why even greco wrestlers dont go that low.

the main conceptual reason as to why freestyle wrestlers go low is because when youre doing nogi, you can only push, and the low stance means that its hard as fuck to have you fall over through pushing if you have a low stance. while you can still be pulled in a headlock or snapdown the consequence of turtling in wrestling isnt that high, and thats another reason they go low. nogi bjj if they turtle will get their back taken.

now with the gi, you can push and PULL and that means that a neutral stance is best.

Anonymous No. 138817

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Judo/Membership/American-Judo-Alliance-Agreement
what does this mean

Anonymous No. 138831

>>138599
Georgian grip stuff. If you're comfortable in that position and someone gives up the back in a jacket grappling context, go for it.

Image not available

1280x720

MV5BMTBiOWE2MjMtM....jpg

Anonymous No. 138841

>>138589
Rope tying? Like in the bdsm sense or in the cowboy sense?

Anonymous No. 138870

>>138810
Depends on how often you go to judo. While there's crossover for sure, standup grappling is a different beast and has a steeper learning curve IMO. The most important thing is to empty your cup. It may feel logical to do a move a certain way from your BJJ experience that's actually counter-intuitive to how you're supposed to do it.

Anonymous No. 138892

>>138812
Very nice, high quality post

Anonymous No. 139002

>>138312
hopefully never.
no locks or holds should be banned. Every bjj move should be legal in judo. in an ideal world, bjj and judo should be one united gi grappling sport where practitioners are good at both takedowns (which also include leg grabs) and newaza. barring that, the only difference between judo and bjj should be that judo rewards throws more while bjj rewards submissions more.

The IJF banning certain grips, certain positions, certain throws and certain meta just dilutes the art and makes every judoka worse at grappling.

Anonymous No. 139004

>>139002
>The IJF banning certain grips, certain positions, certain throws and certain meta just dilutes the art and makes every judoka worse at grappling.
They think it's good for sport, which is true since it needs to look good to make money, the reason that leg grabs were banned was the IOC told them that it needs to be distinct, since judo is naturally a grappling art it is going to look similar to wrestling which was already in the olympics. Thus what they thought of was to take away leg grabs to make the matches look more presentable and pretty to the eye. The things the IJF might kill the sport of judo but be assured that the martial art of judo lives on more in bjj than it currently does in olympic judo. In fact, you wouldn't notice much difference between a training session in 1920 in judo than a current day bjj gym.

Anonymous No. 139031

I'm gonna do it, guys. Tonight I'm returning to the dojo for the first time since I was a kid fifteen years ago. I'm gonna suck, and I will ask them to knock me back to the lowest kyu, but I'm so hyped right now.

Anonymous No. 139032

>>138482
Depends on where they live too, some countries require competition at every belt level to progress, and if he's not competing then he's not getting promoted. Also, some countries still only have white and black belts with nothing in-between, and you only get your black by winning certain comps.

Anonymous No. 139033

>>138487
You should definitely roll with your opponent, however, when I've done makikomi against less experienced people, they've often fell over before I've fully completed the move so they go down without me having to roll. I hate it though, it looks shit.

Anonymous No. 139035

>>139033
>it looks shit
its a based throw, you just suck at it

Anonymous No. 139056

>>139031
I'm back. Sore, but still hyped. Wish me luck for next session, frens.

Anonymous No. 139057

Hey /judo/,

For osoto-otoshi, should I plant my leg first then push forward or try to push forward and chase Uke's leg? Which one if this is easier:

>Push
>Plant leg
>Push

or

>Plant leg by stepping
>Push

Anonymous No. 139061

>>139057
When I was taught osoto otoshi I was taught to reach out and hook the leg from a distance, hop forward and plant my leg in the same motion, then drive them down with my hip

Anonymous No. 139062

>>139056
Good job, I am proud of you fren. What throws did you do?

Anonymous No. 139067

>>139062
Uke-goshi and a couple different variations on ko-soto-gari. They also teased some strangleholds, which I look forward to learning, because I was too young to last time.

Anonymous No. 139107

>>139004
its a complex feeling that i have about grappling. im not really happy about any single style, and i want a unified grappling system.
i love the creativity, freedom, and flow of bjj, how good they are on bottom positions, but i hate guard pulling and i love the ippon system in judo that rewards throwing a mfer to the ground.

Image not available

720x1280

sambo_rotterdam e....webm

🗑️ Anonymous No. 139112

anybody use an elbow weave in no gi? Seems possible if substituting the sleeve control with a wrist tie, but not sure if it'd be worth trying or not

Image not available

1280x720

12 Throws Off The....webm

Anonymous No. 139113

anybody use an elbow weave in no gi? Seems possible if substituting the sleeve control with a wrist tie, but not sure if it'd be worth trying or not

Anonymous No. 139128

Should I do cardio? My sensei just says to treat judo as the cardio and jusr focus on strength training in between classes when not competing. Thoughts?

Anonymous No. 139137

>>139128
Is it not possible to do more Judo? Cardio for judo wouldn't really work for something like running, where you have to explode for like 20 seconds and get reset, catch your breath, then explode again. Off the top of my head I'm having trouble thinking of how you'd do cardio unless you use uchi komi bands or something.

Anonymous No. 139150

>>139107
I also think ippon doesn't mean what it used to, it was meant for a perfect throw with technique and force, now if a person does a lazy sumi and barely rolls the other person on their back it's an ippon. Freestyle and kosen judo are legit and seem to be as close as you can get to what you and a lot of others are looking for. But, it will never, and I mean ever, be as big as something in the olympics.

Anonymous No. 139152

>>139128
Yes, especially if you are competing, doing judo only will get you so far, but if you have five matches in a night or more, technique will get sloppy, it will be hard to move your feet and you'll eventually just give up. You need to do cardio and weight lifting along side judo to go far

Anonymous No. 139156

>>139128
Swimming my friend. Little to no impact on your joints, but it's going to work muscles that you usually don't utilize daily.

Anonymous No. 139168

>>139128
Tabata burpees, shadow grapple in the 10 second intervals

Anonymous No. 139195

>>139004
It doesn't dilute the art, it refines Judo. If you want to do leg grabs and kimuras and other gay shit go do BJJ like the faggot you are. Judo is about throws.

Anonymous No. 139197

What's going on with the US Judo federations?

Image not available

1328x1872

Kodokan Judo by D....jpg

Anonymous No. 139199

>>139195
>Judo is about throws.
Read your textbook.

Anonymous No. 139203

>>139195
I don't know why you are so defensive, bjj is more judo than olympic judo is. Seriously, leg grabs have been a part of the art for 100 years and you're telling me getting rid of it doesn't dilute it, it is kind of delusional.

Image not available

498x206

let-them-fight.gif

Anonymous No. 139210

>>139195
kimuras are still IJF legal

>>139197
pic related

Anonymous No. 139217

>>139195
>reverse seoi, double leg slams, kata guruma are not throws
the ijf doesnt do shit to refine throws, the actual people who refine throws are judokas who come up with new strategies and metas. all the ijf does is cry about "muh safety" or "muh good judo" and restrict athletes.

Anonymous No. 139219

>>139210
>kimuras are still IJF legal
no they’re not what the fuck are you talking about?

Anonymous No. 139220

>>139203
> bjj is more judo than olympic judo is
LMFAO
https://youtu.be/-saGaKMomUs

Anonymous No. 139221

>>139219
Disregard this post I suck cocks and misread legal as illegal

Anonymous No. 139224

>>139195
>>139203
>>139220

Hello,

I hate BJJ so much, you faggots are so fucking pretentious. Every time I hear one of you assholes do your literal gay rape attacks I raise my nose in disgust and disinterest. But not you are forcing us to take interest by flooding an actual martial arts thread. I loathe you people and the amount of shit you flush into any thread about fighting, it's like you homos highlight the words 'fight, street, street fight, self-defense, defense, sucking cock, mma, bareback, judo.' I bet you think you're the hot stuff because you rolled around like a pig in shit with some 160 lb. genetic defect like yourself that you managed to do some ugly "submission" (In reality, you both stalled or got gassed because you have the lung capacity of a asthmatic Chinese steelworker.) If you wanted to be top shit, you would have done Japanese Jujutsu. Not BJJ, sounds gay to even say. You know, the one that doesn't just teach how to situate your dick as close to your opponents face as much as possible? Yeah, the it's called JJJ or Japanese Jujutsu. A greater teaching because it teaches how to punch instead of falling onto your ass as a defense tactic. And how to throw, like actual throws. Not just those little ankle picks or double legs, but actual throws like hip and foot sweeps.

In closing, if you take BJJ, you're a massive faggot who would be killed if someone with an iota of Judo or actual Jujutsu experience (fuck just someone over 6'2, 220 lb. with zero training) would do better than you. You suck, you're "art" sucks, you're ability to fuck shit up for others who do actual arts sucks, and I hope great misfortune and suffering to come your way for all of your pathetic life.

-Disrespectfully, a Judoka.

Anonymous No. 139225

>>139224
lol calm down

Anonymous No. 139228

>>139210
I know, but kimuras should be illegal. They’re shoulder locks and hyperextensions like they’re ruled, and should be made illegal.

>>139217
They literally refine what real judo is by getting rid of the shitty “throws” that pollute the sport. Like I said, if you want to do faggy leg grabs where you drop her head into someone dick, go do wrestling or BJJ. Judo doesn’t want you. You’re happy to go start your own judo federation with your own gay rules, but every attempt has been a failure because the IJF rule set is what real judokas actually want, which is refined throws in the spirit of judo.

>>139224
Based post.

Anonymous No. 139229

>>139228
Is this bait? I don’t know a single judoka who actually thinks the leg grab ban is a good thing or that the ijf is doing anything but acting like retards. Moreover, ude-garami has been around since the sports inception and poses no more danger than any other lock. You’re a faggot if you want it banned.

Anonymous No. 139230

>>139228
>>139229
I should add everyone talks about double legs like that’s the only thing that got removed after leg grabs were banned. Far more common when they were allowed was shit like te guruma which was straight out of Japanese jujutsu.

Look at this beautiful technique and tell me this isn’t a “real throw”
https://youtu.be/y_X2NLLGloc

Anonymous No. 139231

>>139220
It's true though, bjj today at a good gym that does takedowns would look like a judo class in the 1920's, I don't understand why you are so against this idea. The IOC has time and again asked the IJF to remove things from judo and you sit in front of your computer and deny that it makes judo weaker, you're just wrong.
>>139224
I don't know why you (You)'d me when I'm right, bjj is judo with a different ruleset, it wouldn't be wrong if you called it brazilian judo, you are too stuck on the idea that what you are currently training is the best when real, unneautered judo is, not what we do today. Do you even know what to do when someone touches your leg? Do you drill enough newaza to finish a fight or pin a person down until police arrive if your throw does nothing? I am a judoka and I love no martial art more than it, that is why I am mad at what it is turning into just so people can compete according to a ruleset that gets more and more restrictive what seems like every year when it should be a lifestyle and self-defense.

Anonymous No. 139232

>>139230
Good point also obi tori gaeshi and (one of my favorites) sukui nage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpc82SrunUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU6aJ2kFxoI

Anonymous No. 139234

>>139231
> bjj today at a good gym that does takedowns would look like a judo class in the 1920's
Lmfao even harder this time. I’ve cross trained bjj even at the places that “train takedowns” you are absolutely out of your mind. The pedagogy of a bjj and judo class are completely different

Anonymous No. 139235

>>139234
What was the gym called?

Anonymous No. 139236

>>139235
I’m not going to post all the places I’ve trained on 4chan you faggot I’m not that stupid. If you’ve trained both at any time you’d understand what I mean when I tell you their entire approach to teaching is completely different.

Anonymous No. 139237

>>139236
I don't know why you keep name calling, it's not proving any point, your experience means that means you only went to a gym that trains half of what is allowed, i.e. not a good gym

Anonymous No. 139238

>>139228
>getting rid of shitty throws
the competition and sparring process IS what gets rid of shitty throws, not some bureacratic committee made of japanophiles. korean seoi is a high impact and high percentage throw. if you can look at a high percentage throw and still call it shitty, id ask you if youve ever done randori in your life. Judo isnt great because of its techniques, its great because of its refinement process through competition rather than a group of senile fucks who hasnt competed for 70 years deciding what competitors should and shouldnt do.
if a throw is shitty the competitors will find out for themselves in that it doesnt work, there is no reason to ban it.

Anonymous No. 139242

>>139237
Because you’re a retard talking out of your ass. Let me know when your super special bjj gym has you do complex kumi kata or uchikomis until you feel like puking and then tell me that competitive judo and BJJ classes are basically exactly the same.

Anonymous No. 139257

>>139242
You are comparing the intensity of workouts from one gym to another, some judo gyms dont have warmups and some bjj gyms warmups are like boot camp. You're comparing apples to oranges, the techniques themselves that are from judo and the same techniques that are in bjj, bjj still allows most of those techniques that were in judo since 1885. I would wager someone like you could even notice that. However, judo has banned some of these techniques from competition, right? So bjj is unneutered judo. It is literally judo with a different ruleset.

Anonymous No. 139259

>>139257
No, retard, you’re still missing the point. The way in which judo practices and the way in which bjj practices are fundamentally different. I’m not talking about intensity specifically but pedagogical focus. Even then, having trained a number of different places the least intense judo dojos have been about on par with the more intense bjj gyms I’ve been to. Bjj is not like judo. No amount of your coping is going to change this.
>inb4 muh banned techniques
Cool dude let me know when you’re actually allowed to throw people hard without getting disqualified. Let me know also when you start resetting or punishing people for suicidally jumping into guard then acting like the other guys a douchebag for dropping you on the floor like any reasonable person would.

Why are you even here? Go have a flow roll.

Anonymous No. 139266

>>139259
>Cool dude let me know when you’re actually allowed to throw people hard without getting disqualified

I'm not him but intensity isn't what gets you DQ'd in BJJ. Every Judo throw I know of you can do in BJJ, though I don't know them all. The "banned" throws in BJJ are when you redirect momentum halfway through the throw after lifting them above your hips. An example would be that you can absolutely bury someone with a ura-nage and that's fine, but what wouldn't be is if you pick someone up with a ura-nage, stop halfway and then redirect and slam them on your face. All of the judo throws I know seem to be continually moving a person in the same direction, so they're all fine in competition (and I use them as I compete in both Judo and BJJ). As to why there's these weird distinction, I have no idea, but I do appreciate that it lets you do quite a lot of takedowns.

Anonymous No. 139267

>>139266
>but what wouldn't be is if you pick someone up with a ura-nage, stop halfway and then redirect and slam them on your face

I meant *on their face

Anonymous No. 139271

>>139266
>>139267
Off the top of my head that disqualifies Utsuri goshi, I’m sure there are other j can’t remember
https://youtu.be/35UD3FdXobQ
Really my beef with the above anon is just the absolute retardation of thinking that the training methods between bjj and judo are basically the same. As I mentioned before, I’ve cross trained bjj. I wouldn’t have done that if I thought it was useless. However, as I’ve said, the pedagogical focus Is different. When you’re training people to accomplish different goals, regardless of whether they’re both grappling related, you’re inevitably going to train them differently

Anonymous No. 139272

>>139259
Do you even know what to do against a obi tori gaeshi, sukui nage, double leg or an ankle pick? You are such a dullard, it is impossible to get through to your tiny brain with your thick skull in the way. You aren't even making points in... whatever your argument is (bjj doesn't train hard I guess?) and it's hard to keep reading your nonsense so I'm done entertaining you.

Anonymous No. 139273

>>139272
>Do you even know what to do against a obi tori gaeshi, sukui nage, double leg or an ankle pick?
Lmao, not only have I told you that I’ve cross trained other styles of grappling but you might be surprised to know a lot of people have done judo since before 2013 you retarded zoomer. This statement is especially funny to me because I do a lot of sacrifice throws and regularly score with a variant of obi tori gaeshi that’s legal. Observe: https://youtu.be/zdzuZopr2pM
> You aren't even making points in... whatever your argument is (bjj doesn't train hard I guess?) and it's hard to keep reading your nonsense so I'm done entertaining you.
Let me say this a third time since your clearly an illiterate sped. The pedagogical methods of judo and BJJ are different because they’re training people to accomplish different goals in competition. Bjj training, even at places that “train takedowns” are not training in the same way or with the same focus or nuance that judo does. If you had ever stepped foot in a judo dojo you would know this. The absolute absurdity of saying “modern bjj is like 1920s judo” is so insane in so many ways I can’t imagine anyone with any knowledge of either sport saying it. I’d love for you to find me a pre 2013 judo video of someone jumping into guard, lol.

Anonymous No. 139274

>>139271
Yeah I'm sure there are others, I just haven't seen them yet. I think even with that video, you could get away with the first two in BJJ, maybe the third, but the 4th and 5th might catch a DQ. I know there's some other requirement based on height like you have to also have lifted their body up a certain height when you redirected, or maybe that you straightened your knees or something, but it's been forever since I did a referee course.

In a more judo-related topic though, I don't know if the difference is exactly pedagogical, but more inherent differences in the arts. In my experience, Judo is an art where the focus is more on being the better attacker whereas BJJ focuses more on being better defensively. Of course there's defensive Judo and offensive BJJ, but Judo you win through performing the offensive technique (unless you defend until shido) whereas BJJ you usually win by making no mistakes, then waiting/forcing your opponent to make a mistake and capitalising on it.

It really helped my Judo competitions a lot when I changed my mindset around the energy expenditure as well. Coming from BJJ, when I would do tachi-waza I would always try to grind and make my opponent make a mistake, or bait them into making an opening but not overcommitting since in BJJ, failing a takedown means you're basically on bottom. Whereas once I got my head competing in Judo as more of a "throw everything you have into the attempt, if it doesn't work, get reset and repeat" mindset and didn't have to worry about being punished (I'm in heavyweight so turnovers hardly happen), I found a lot more success. This mindset wouldn't work as well in BJJ though, since a failed move can mean you're underneath someone for the next 10 minutes, but for me I've found that's the biggest fundamental difference. Judo is more about being good at attacking whereas BJJ is more about being good at defending.

Anonymous No. 139277

>>139274
I don’t disagree with anything in this post except I would say that because of the necessary difference in mindset as a result of the sports rules, different pedagogical methods are used to train it. I don’t think there’s a bjj equivalent to lining up ten ukes in front of a crash pad and then having tori try to throw all of them as quickly as possible before switching out to the next guy.

Anonymous No. 139305

Newbie here.
I could do a few throws during uchikomi but never had any luck during randori. What am I missing?

Anonymous No. 139307

>>139305
How new? The answer is probably experience.

Image not available

800x450

sonic.webm

Anonymous No. 139313

>>139307
I've only got a yellow belt. While the other yellow belts also suck at throwing that compensated with being aggressive and explosive. However I probably drink to much to still have any aggressiveness left in me and I'm feeling old (only got into judo in my late 20s)
The only times I've had any success was when someone making a really bad move and already lost their own balance

Anonymous No. 139314

>>139313
>While the other yellow belts also suck at throwing that compensated with being aggressive and explosive. However I probably drink to much to still have any aggressiveness left in me and I'm feeling old (only got into judo in my late 20s)
It's all copium dude. More uchikomis is all you need to be competent at your rank.

Anonymous No. 139315

>>139313
Be explosive and aggressive then if your randori’ing hard. Watch the way your dojos black belts fight. I guarantee they’re throwing themselves around aggressively too.

The great thing about randori is you can take risky actions and get tossed like a retard ten thousand times without it mattering. you do this enough and you’ll inevitably learn the perfect timing and positioning to fight aggressively AND with low risk to getting countered. Remember, nobody “wins” randori. However, if you stay passive instead of practicing you are losing.

Anonymous No. 139327

>>139305
experience, technical skills, setups, good grips and positioning, movement, athleticism and strength; could be alot of things youre missing
go watch youtube judo tutorials. id recommend shintaro higashi, travis stevens, jimmy pedro, shintaro nakano. if you like judo enough watch the judo highlights yt channel and get acquainted with how people move in competitions.
if your club has open mats, go often and spar lightly, focusing more on technique and timing than strength to avoid injuries, to to keep calm and loose when you spar.

this one is a tip from B team jiujitsu, john danaher and travis stevens, but i think its useful: go do positional drills and sparring during open mats.
basically, you go get a dominant grip and position (i.e. high collar grip breaking posture), you can decide whether your partner can get a grip or not, and then you pick 2-3 throws that can combo with each other (sasae, uchimata, kouchi). You go offense and your partner can only do defense and not attack.
the idea is that you want to progress from easy as fuck uchikomi into a "harder drill" that is still easier to get a throw in than randori; kinda like adding weights to a lift incrementally rather than jumping straight into benching 200 lbs. this should help you transition easier to getting a throw in randori.

Anonymous No. 139411

Why is Mou Ippon! so goddamn good? It's making me wish I took judo more seriously as a kid and actually tried my hardest at competing.

Image not available

640x368

judonigerians.webm

Anonymous No. 139437

>Fat fuck that is twice my size rolls into class
>Start teaching him the moves, he even confuses his right from the left
>Start teaching him osotogari (sensei told me to, have to qualms)
>I've practiced that move a lot, even though I'm just a white belt I have gained many ippons in randori with it
>Give it my fucking best, dude doesn't even flinch with it
I've been coping and seething ever since, judokanons. I have no problem getting fucked in randori by higher belts than me, but not being able to even scratch a bigger man with my moves has actually hurt my ego.

Image not available

708x1011

defenseless woman.png

Anonymous No. 139444

>>139437
git gud

Anonymous No. 139449

>>139437
>even though I'm just a white belt

Unironically git gud. I weigh 145kg and my coach is 60kg and I've literally never been able to throw him, while in randori he'll throw me every 30 seconds, if not earlier. Size does matter, but it can be overcome with skill.

Anonymous No. 139463

>>139313
You gotta have that dawg in you. I went 0-2 at my first tournament as a white belt, and even though I had fun, it bugged me.

Changing my randori mentality from playing to "I'm going to go in there and throw this guy" helped me a lot. I'm not saying to be a jerk to your partners or do unsafe things. As a simple thing, when you do randori, try to "grip and go". Instead of trying to hang out and grip fight and fish for counter, get your grip and send it.

>>139314
>uchikomis for anything beside working up a sweat
I think you learn much more from nagekomi than uchikomi, and I think it's easy to develop bad habits if you do a lot of uchikomi and not a lot of throwing.

Anonymous No. 139482

>>139437
it happens. martial arts is always easier for those bigger and stronger. you unironically need better techniques and to get stronger.

martial arts and judo isn't some magic voodoo that completely nullifies strength. people need to be reminded that technique is the efficient application of strength, so if you want to improve your technique, you can either get stronger or learn new things in your technique.

Anonymous No. 139496

>>139411
Its the first pure sports anime that came out in the last decade without Isekai or supernatural/mmorpg bullshit tacked on.
Finally just a realistic anime about sport and fun again like we had before 2010.

Anonymous No. 139507

>randori
>opponent and I's grips get disengaged
>he is off balance and within arms reach
I would usually shoot for a double leg here as I come from a wrestling bg, but what is the IJF approved way to capitalize on this?

Image not available

1024x576

Ping Pong.jpg

Anonymous No. 139517

>>139496
>blocks you're path

Anonymous No. 139523

>>139035
you misunderstand. I love the throw and use it well, I'm saying that inexperienced people go down before I've even fully committed, and makes the throw look shit.

Anonymous No. 139534

>>139507
You could do a Greco-Roman style high dive, though IJF bear hug rules means you would have to get one grip first.

https://youtu.be/yV77wXxaI7I

Image not available

1280x720

merab dvalishvili....webm

Anonymous No. 139535

Anonymous No. 139537

>>139534
Cool. I'll modify this to grab the ukes jacket instead and reach around to grab my sleeve. Is dropping to one knee to shoot legal in Judo? I swear IJF is cucking this sport.

Anonymous No. 139543

>>139537
No. Drop ouchi is a thing.

Anonymous No. 139544

>>139543
>drop ouchi
Seems to be something done while having grips on the guy. How do i execute this from a double-leg distance?

Image not available

1280x720

Drop Ouchi Gari L....webm

Anonymous No. 139549

>>139537
You can still bear hug, you just need to have one grip first before transitioning to it. You can't grab double unders with no setup.

>>139544
You need grips, but you don't need to hold them for long. Grip and let 'er rip. Webm related.

Anonymous No. 139551

>>139549
Ok so is this legal?
>shoot for high-dive (double leg but greco style)
>right hand grabs ukes jacket
>left hand reaches around, right hand lets go of jacket to gable grip left hand
>takedown

Image not available

1698x1099

Kano Jigoro. - Ko....png

Anonymous No. 139579

>>138304
I'm out of shape and out of practice. I'm fixing the out of shape part of that. I'll have time to go back to the dojo and get back to practice in several months. Is there anywhere worth going to cram once or twice daily judo lessons for 1-4 weeks to get back in the swing of things? Looking for a more traditional place.

Anonymous No. 139580

>>139544
You generally don't, because jacket wrestling isn't naked wrestling. When you're in double leg distance, you're also in gripping distance, and that makes it a lot harder. In sambo and pre-2010 judo, the good leg shots were done from normal grip fighting, where a guy breaks grips and goes for it. There's a reason people were doing a lot of low amplitude low singles in 2008 - it's what you can do from a long range in jacket wrestling.

>>139551
That seems like a lot of work compared to just doing normal judo..

Image not available

1078x1626

291pi6oqrkn71.jpg

Anonymous No. 139706

Anons, what are the best resources I could use to learn about Judo? I'm a newfag to this stuff and I just want to learn more

Anonymous No. 139710

>>139706
>>139199

Anonymous No. 139913

>>139706
Going to a fucking judo club?

Otherwise, Jigoro Kano wrote loads of books. Read them.

Anonymous No. 139941

Why is morote seoi nage the "manlet throw"?

Anonymous No. 139986

>try to outsmart everyone
>someone beats you with speed
>try to outspeed everyone
>someone beats you with power
>try to overpower everyone
>someone outsmarts you

Anonymous No. 140102

I'm a training security guard and want to know some police-grade judo throws. What are some throws that use a lot of arm control and aren't too complex.

Anonymous No. 140105

>>140102
Go to a judo club if you want to learn judo. Also get a real job.

Anonymous No. 140106

>>140105
That sounds like a difficult throw.

Anonymous No. 140128

>>140102
Osoto Gari is deadly

Image not available

480x360

hqdefault.jpg

Anonymous No. 140129

Hello /judo/

I cross-train judo with shuai jiao. My tokui waza in judo is drop seoi, which I can't do in shuai jiao because the ruleset forbids most drop throws. Would it be better to develop a standing seoi or work on a low squat seoi so I can try to use the same muscle memory?

Anonymous No. 140142

>>140102
Judo doesn't work unless you do a lot of randori, aka fighting. You need to try the techniques against an unwilling partner that is trying to get away or is trying to beat you.
Why, because>>139327
>experience, technical skills, setups, good grips and positioning, movement, athleticism and strength; could be alot of things youre missing
You're going to miss up all these things if you don't actually train and stick to watching a couple of youtube videos.

Anonymous No. 140143

>>140142
So yeah, basically what >>140105 said.

Anonymous No. 140145

>>140129
>shuai jiao
Are you in China?

Anonymous No. 140146

>>140105
>>140142
>>140143
I am practicing Judo, I'm just wondering which throws are more arm dominant or easier to perform.

Anonymous No. 140148

>>140129
If you can do the squat variant that would probably transfer easier. You should have a good standing seoi in general though just because it’s a good throw.

Anonymous No. 140149

>>140146
Ask your coach,alternatively just read up on te waza.

Anonymous No. 140151

>>140102
>>140146
Sasae tsurikomi ashi and standing ude garami come to mind.

You should also consider the likelihood of someone having a concealed edged weapon when picking your throws, e.g. next time someone throws you with o goshi think about if you could realistically stab and rip their back open with the force of their own throw applied to a knife's edge.

Anonymous No. 140152

>>138438
I always did it as a kid and recently got back into it under the same teacher.
Except I just got sick with something.
The guy from /fit/ sounds lazy.
If you're going to do a sport at least get good at it and challenge yourself.

Anonymous No. 140163

I always get winded during randori, what are some good exercises to build stamina?

Anonymous No. 140166

>>140163
More randori. More uchikomi. Or just go for a run or learn some parkour, fatty.

Anonymous No. 140169

>>140129
I don't think Steve Scott knows what he's talking about in this instance. A lot of Japanese and Korean drop seoi nage players use a low squat in practice to save their knees and get the feel of driving off their toes. They all drop to their knees in competition. When you're really driving to finish from a low squat, you naturally drop to your knees.

Anonymous No. 140185

>>140163
More randori, but if you go to the gym, do your cardio on the rowing machine.

Anonymous No. 140188

who are some of your favourite lesser known judoka?

I've always loved Muneta, that hiza guruma he had was phenomenal.

Anonymous No. 140223

What was the best era of Judo rules? People seem to think pretty highly of the mid-late 90s.

Image not available

1376x1919

dr jigoro kano.jpg

Anonymous No. 140227

>>140223
Yeah, judo was pretty based in the 1890s.

Anonymous No. 140237

What are good lifting programs that compliment judo? would the big four work? ohp, squats, deads, bench?

Anonymous No. 140245

>>140223
Anything pre leg grab ban and pre those stupid grip semibans

Anonymous No. 140274

>>140237
Bench, deadlift into high pulls, power cleans into front squats 3 times a week with some grip workouts thrown in at the end, for cardio i suggest hiit hill sprinting for at least 25 minutes on off days

Anonymous No. 140277

>>140237
Cleans and or snatches, doubles every minute on the minute for 12 minutes

Anonymous No. 140278

>>140277
>doubles every minute on the minute for 12 minutes

What's that?

Anonymous No. 140281

>>140278
get an app that beeps at you every minute for x amount of time. on the beeps do two lifts back to back. the time in between the beeps are rest, you can shadow wrestling for example.

Anonymous No. 140294

being a 26 y.o. bjj fanatic, am I too much of an oldfag to start judo?

Image not available

274x351

1664274626029297.gif

Anonymous No. 140310

>>140294
judo is for overweight and underexercised mid 20s to 30s men who experience a mid-life crisis, like me!

Anonymous No. 140314

>>140294
You've already started judo, go learn the rest of it.

Image not available

1280x720

SAMBO action from....webm

Anonymous No. 140329

>>140145
I'm in the US. Just happen to live within driving distance of one of the few shuai jiao clubs here.

Anonymous No. 140331

>>140329
Neat. Is there a regulatory body for that in the US or is it just a handful of unaffiliated clubs? I've been wanting to check out shuai jiao because I'm likely going to end up spending time in China within the next several years but I haven't really looked into the domestic scene yet.

Image not available

720x1280

inner mongolia bo....webm

Anonymous No. 140338

>>140331
>Is there a regulatory body for that in the US or is it just a handful of unaffiliated clubs?
There's the United States Shuai-Chiao Association
https://www.shuaijiao.org/

The scene is small in the US, but there's enough people for there to be semi-regular competition. Nationals is next month.

Anonymous No. 140355

>>140338
How different is it from judo? None of the schools on that website are close to me but if there's enough crossover it could be cool to make the several-hour drive every now and then and go to competitions.
>semi-regular competition
The website you linked shows about one competition a year. Is that the semi-regular competition or is there another place to find out about events?

Image not available

720x1280

shuai jiao chiao.webm

Anonymous No. 140364

>>140355
>None of the schools on that website are close to me
There's a couple that aren't on the website, but yeah there's not a ton of schools.

>How different is it from judo?
There's a fair amount of crossover in terms of technique and general grappling principles, but it's different enough to where you can't call just call it Chinese judo.

The ruleset is similar to sumo or mongolian wrestling where a score happens when anything other than the soles of your feet touches the ground. Because of this, there are few sacrifice or drop throws and you're encouraged to throw someone while staying on your feet. Leg attacks are legal (though not as high percentage due to the ruleset) and there are minimal gripping restrictions. Jackets are short sleeve which opens up to some different gripping variations that you don't normally see in judo or sambo.

Because there's no instant win like ippon, you're encouraged to throw quickly off the grips to rack up a points lead (or to catch up if you're behind). You also get points for ringouts kinda like sumo, so it really builds your ring awareness.

>or is there another place to find out about events?
From the website, the Facebook page, and the schools themselves. There's usually a few comps a year. Covid killed them for awhile and they've only recently started back up again.

Anonymous No. 140440

>>140364
Are there subs or pins?

Anonymous No. 140466

>>140440
>Are there subs or pins?
>a score happens when anything other than the soles of your feet touches the ground

You compete in the special needs division don't you?

Image not available

1200x1788

Morote gari.png

Anonymous No. 140530

So many cool banned throws and leg takedown. Judo used to be the full package. Throws, takedowns and submissions

Image not available

450x171

Sankaku-Jime.jpg

Anonymous No. 140531

I love Judo so much, I'm just scared it's going to give me parkinsons.

Image not available

450x164

ura-nage_med_hr.jpg

Anonymous No. 140533

Just going to post some of my favs as a lament to my days of Judo

Image not available

450x165

harai-goshi_med_h....jpg

Anonymous No. 140534

Anonymous No. 140541

Is the traditional seoi nage of travis stevens good?
>Barely bends knees and makes sure to get toris back on ukes chest
Or is the split stance/koga seoi nage better?

Anonymous No. 140546

>>138438
based Baki enjoyer

Anonymous No. 140593

>>140364
Thanks, sounds fun.
>There's a couple that aren't on the website
Know of any in Pennsylvania?
>there are minimal gripping restrictions
Quick rundown?

Anonymous No. 140628

>>139411
Now that Mou Ippon is finished what did /Judo/ make of it?

Anonymous No. 140643

>>140628
There should still be 1 episode left I think.

Anonymous No. 140650

>>140643
Oh, I thought it finished last week, guess I've got another to look forward to when I catch up.

Anonymous No. 140702

>>140593
>Quick rundown?
Basically don't grab the pants (leg takedowns are fine; you just can't grip the pants themselves) or try to joint lock someone in order to throw them. Everything else is fair game. You can grab any sort of jacket/belt grip or wrestling tie-up you want.

>Know of any in Pennsylvania?
This guy used to run a school in PA. No idea if he's good or not, but maybe he knows someone.
facebook dot com slash IndianaSJ

Anonymous No. 140717

>>140274
>>140277
why no back squats? why the powercleans/snatch? what about additional back workouts?

Image not available

850x1202

1637471750238.jpg

Anonymous No. 140718

>>138585
I did Judo for 12 years up to a National level (almost made it to the Olympics). I've been doing Japanese jujutsu/bujutsu/kobudo (and variants) for 17 years. Jujutsu comes in many flavours, from washed out martial arts fraud starts 'Jujutsu' dojo for branding to dojo with direct link to 900 years of lineage, history and tradition.

I'm part of the latter group, but I've visited/seen dojo in the former group. Real jujutsu is death. It's so dangerous and will end untrained people in seconds. Some of the techniques I know are horrendous, snapping tendons, breaking joints and crushing critical organs before the person even hits the ground, and that is usually in some horrible way so the snap their neck doing it.

But, Olympic level Judo is HARD. I've trained with former gold medallist Judo Olympians and their bodies are on another level. Now, not all Judoka are olympic level, but at the top, Judoka are extremely dangerous just because they are in such peak physical condition.

That being said, Judo techniques are extremely safe, as Kano intended. You don't get to do randori so hard without it being very safe. And that is the crux of the issue. Judo can be trained hard and fast, to build strong tough bodies without injury. Authentic jujutsu needs to be trained slowly and methodically, and you can't do randori because the risk of injury is too high, so many people who do practice jujutsu without doing outside physical training tend to be weak and become soft.

The final thought, Judo is sport and it's safe, but breeds strong fighters. Jujutsu is combat and dangerous, but breeds weak fighters. Do Judo when you are young, then do jujutsu when you are older, thus you get the best of both worlds.

Image not available

452x469

1662760371437061.jpg

Anonymous No. 140720

>>140718
>Do Judo when you are young
what happens if im not anymore

Anonymous No. 140727

>>140717
Back squats are fine, power cleans are just more explosive.

Anonymous No. 140743

>>140717
The Olympic lifts are more technical making you more aware of the body and explosive. If you don't lift a clean properly with your legs and back you will gas out your arms so it is a back exercise. If you want to do back squats do tempo squats. It's about creating explosive power for a long period of time.

Image not available

463x720

1662897532236607.jpg

Anonymous No. 140770

>>140727
>>140743
thanks anons, so sustained explosive power is pretty much the lifting goals to help with judo, makes sense. really reminds me to think about what i want to do when i lift and work backwards from there, what a dumbass i am.

Anonymous No. 140868

I can never do ouchi gari, what went wrong?

Anonymous No. 140871

>>140868
Depends on how you’re doing it. Tell us what happens when you attempt it. Does your opponent step out and away or does he turn you over for a counter throw as you’re coming in?

Anonymous No. 140879

>>140871
idk. I can't even do it without the opponent resisting. My leg usually just goes to the hooking position instead of sweeping. And i always just put him backward instead of pushing him to his left side

Anonymous No. 140882

>>140879
Are you trying to set up the throw at all or are you just going straight into it? Use your sweeps to get him off balance first because it sounds like you’re trying to take his leg away while he’s standing flat and balanced.

Image not available

360x202

7gvug4.gif

Anonymous No. 141182

How useful is inside Te-Guruma during randori? I rarely see it.

Anonymous No. 141184

>>140628
It has a slow start because it needs to set the stage for the tournament. Once it gets going it becomes great though. The characters have a nice design and well written personalities. Most of the matches were also pretty exciting to watch and gave me a renewed appreciation for the sport. 9/10 makes me wish I was more competitive in my youth.

Anonymous No. 141188

>>141182
If you want to practice it very useful. If you don't want to practice it then not very useful. Randori is for improving yourself and your partner, not for winning. The reason you rarely see it is because of the leg grab ban, so it doesn't really get trained anymore. Before using this I suggest you agree with your partner on the ruleset first so he knows what to expect.

Anonymous No. 141213

>>140868
I find the textbook version of ouchi gari you're taught in class to be awkward and ineffective. I prefer doing it like this dude >>140338

Anonymous No. 141233

>>138304
Any advice for my situation? I’m trying to improve a minor throw (ouchi gari) and I know what I’m doing wrong (torso too far, hips not square, not pulling uke’s sleeve hand down), I just need more time practicing on an uke I think.

However, I never have time to practice this. When we do uchi komi, I always get senseis telling me to just practice big throws instead (seoi nage, uchi mata, etc.) And when we do randori, it’s too fast for me to practice doing it the right way and I feel like I’m just committing bad form to my muscle memory instead).

My goal is to become an ashi waza specialist btw. Ouchi gari, kouchi gari, sasae, de ashi, osoto, kosoto…I love em all and want to learn to make my opponent dance.

Anonymous No. 141235

>>140720
you can still do judo and bjj to get better at fighting quicker as they are the safer sports to spar with.
>>140718
my gripe with some of the more dangerous traditional MA like jap jiujitsu, aikido, okinawan karate, is that some of them are obviously effective since theyre often developed and refined in the heat of actual hand to hand combat by warriors who regularly use them (or would regularly streetfight and win), but in the modern day alot of the teachers who obviously dont go to war regularly lose the refinement, details, and context in which the techniques are effective. and since they cant spar most instructors are just shite save for a handful of old fucks who have some direct lineage to a martial arts god and was trained and conditioned since birth.

You can literally see this with tai chi. ramsey dewey has a very good video explaining how tai chi are grappling forms, and how he as a pro-MMA fighter and his national level judo coach got their asses handed to them in a standup grappling match by some freakshow 80 yr old tai chi master.

Anonymous No. 141295

>>141233
>And when we do randori, it’s too fast for me to practice doing it the right way
You could ask your partner to go slower paced. At least that is what we do where I train, though my place is more casual so we try to vary between working on technique and trying to win. At least the adults do that, the kids and teens usually just want to go at it hard.

Anonymous No. 141297

>spar with judo guy
>he goes prone onto his stomach
>i go for a calf slice
>NOOOOOO YOU CAN'T JUST ATTACK MY LEGS

jesus... okay

Anonymous No. 141299

>>141297
Were you sparring under judo rules? I fucking hate bjj nigs so much when they do this kind of shit. I got told not to do any leg or foot locking techniques when I cross trained at a bjj gym, then as soon as I started beating one of you fags he gets mad and starts immediately cranking out heel hooks despite being told they’re we’re not supposed to do them at my level. I guess you guys really do love that Brazil monkey heritage.

Anonymous No. 141305

>>141299
he was a visitor at a no gi bjj gym
. . .

Anonymous No. 141307

>>140188
the guy is famous af

Anonymous No. 141308

>>141299
learn newaza mate instead of being prone like a coward

Anonymous No. 141310

>>141305
In that case he’s the retard then
>>141308
I had already thrown and submitted him multiple times. That’s why he was pissed off in the first place.

Anonymous No. 141311

>>141310
just kick him in the face then, not even BJJ brown belts can do heel hooks, white belts can only do a sort of ashi garami which is easy to escape from

Anonymous No. 141313

>>141311
I assumed the instructor would’ve told him to cut the shit but he didn’t seem to care. I just never went back. I’m not about to get my knee snapped because some retard is mad that he can’t do stand up.

Anonymous No. 141316

>>141311
That’s only under IBJJF rules. Not every gym is a slave to the Gracies and their ruleset. The federation is nowhere near as powerful as the IJF in Judo. Most high-level nogi BJJ gyms will teach leg entanglements very early on since they are/were the best thing to do very recently. I wouldn’t do it to a visiting judoka since I doubt they’d know how to defend it, but it’s not some unforgivable sin just because the Gracies say it’s illegal.

Anonymous No. 141317

>>141313
You're just mad you can't escape leglocks

Anonymous No. 141318

>>141317
Don’t be a dick, console warring martial arts is stupid and is literally the worst thing on this board.

Anonymous No. 141319

>>141318
Right, just saying "mad cuz can't standup" is literally the same argument. Visit a BJJ gym expect to have your legs attacked, what else can i say.

Anonymous No. 141321

>>141319
It is the same argument, but it’s still the same shitposting as that idiot going into the boxing threads telling people to do judo, who’s probably the same guy that makes an anti-BJJ thread every 3 days as well. I’m just sick of seeing console warring shitposts in every thread.

t. won divisions in boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, MMA, Judo, BJJ, freestyle, kyokushin and sumo. They’re all valid.

Back on topic, do you guys win by ippon or wazari more often?

Anonymous No. 141322

>>141317
I’m not mad I “can’t escape leg locks” you dumb fuck, I’m mad that we were fighting under conditions where they weren’t allowed and then some faggot whipped it out anyways, knowing I hadn’t trained to defend against it. That’s why I was there. To learn shit I didn’t already know.

Anonymous No. 141323

>>141319
It’s not you retard because again, I was told we weren’t allowed to do heel hooks.

Anonymous No. 141328

>>141322
>>141323
dam some leglocks really got you worked up

Anonymous No. 141337

>>141328
Whatever you say anon. I’ll be sure to start throwing elbows the next time a bjj guy visits our open mat.

Anonymous No. 141338

>>141337
>can’t handle a little leg lock because his pussified sport won’t teach him any
>seethes so hard he’s going to take it out on random people for no reason

Why don’t you roll to your stomach and cry until the referee tells you to stand up

Anonymous No. 141341

>>141338
>reading comprehension

Anonymous No. 141343

>>141321
>do you guys win by ippon or wazari more often?
Neither

Anonymous No. 141344

>>141295
>randori
>trying to win
That's not how that's supposed to work.

Anonymous No. 141351

>>141344
My wording could have been better, but I meant that we reach a mutual agreement on how intense we go at it. So sometimes we go slow paced to get a technique down while later on we turn it more into a competition basically. What I am trying to say is that mutual understanding is key to a good randori.

Anonymous No. 141366

Is there any point in learning traditional seoi nage when the split-hip version is better/higher percentage in comp?

Anonymous No. 141369

>>141366
You should know how to do both.

Anonymous No. 141370

>>141369
But i know the traditional one already, should i be doing all most of my uchikomis with the split hip one?

Anonymous No. 141372

>>141370
If you already know the traditional one then do whatever one you plan on using when fighting.

Anonymous No. 141379

>>141351
>What I am trying to say is that mutual understanding is key to a good randori.
Agreed.

Anonymous No. 141402

>>141338
Honestly, I don't trust anyone I don't know very well with anything but kneebars.

>>141366
You could say the same about drop seoi nage

Anonymous No. 141452

Does tori have to go to the ground when executing Koshi Guruma or can tori keep standing?

Anonymous No. 141456

>>141452
Who told you you had to go to the ground doing koshi guruma?

https://youtu.be/SU7Id6uVJ44

Anonymous No. 141471

I'm a yellow belt now :^)
I remember getting encouraged a lot by some anons some two months ago here. Thanks.

Anonymous No. 141515

>>141471
Congrats for not quitting. White belt was really the hardest part of judo for me.

Anonymous No. 141535

>>141452
boomer koshi guruma doesn't work, try kubi nage or the wrestling style sag headlock

Image not available

849x1099

Kano Jigoro. - Ko....png

Anonymous No. 141554

>>141535
>boomer koshi guruma doesn't work
skill issue

Sage No. 141558

>>141535
>boomer koshi guruma doesn’t work
So your bad at grappling? Got it.

Anonymous No. 141562

>>141456
Every example and live demonstration I've seen (besides that one) has shown tori going to the ground.

Anonymous No. 141563

>>141535
>boomer koshi guruma doesn't work

it's literally any easier version of o-goshi, an already easy throw they teach every beginner

Anonymous No. 141567

My coach pointed out a bad habit of leaving myself open to footsweeps when harassing with kouchi, so I've been trying to change my harassment pattern to use okuri-ashi-harai instead.

That's my blogpost.

Anonymous No. 141574

>>139579
>out of shape and out of practice
>daily/twice daily sessions
My brother in Christ, that's a recipe for a catastrophic injury if I ever saw one

Anonymous No. 141585

>>138312
>the 33 year Judo booner
>doesn't get excited about a technique except when it's being booned
>suffers from persistent erections cause he can't stop thinking about all the stuff IJF is gonna boon
>"Oh God I'm gonna boooon!"
Such a democrat mindset.

Anonymous No. 141601

>>141585
Drumpf lost

Anonymous No. 141606

>>139579
>twice daily

bro going from couch potato to kimura in 90 days or less

Anonymous No. 141614

Whats the 1/2/3/4 equivalent from /fit/ in judo? :)

Anonymous No. 141616

>>141614
During randori, you be proficient enough to execute

1 successful standing kata guruma (Your overhead press)
2 successful ippon seoi nage in a row (Your squat)
3 successful tai o-otoshi in a row (Your deadlift)
4 successful osoto gari or osoto otoshi in a row (Your bench press)

Anonymous No. 141634

>>141574
>>141606
I'm actually being a bit more responsible than usual this time. Last time I let myself get out of shape I went back to weight training for a week and then spent four days in the hospital with rhabdo. I won't do twice-daily judo sessions until I've worked back up to the appropriate level of fitness but I figure if I'm traveling to do some intensive training than I might as well get in shape to actually do it intensively.

Lately I've mainly been working on getting back towards being able to run a halfway decent 5k and I've been doing low-rep sets of pullups and pushups throughout the day to get my joints ready for proper strength training in the near future. I should be doing more ukemi, tai-sabaki, and uchikomi, but that's probably true of almost everyone at every level.

Anonymous No. 141635

>>141601
Why is his German name supposed to be an insult? It's not like he's hiding a jewish name or anything.

Anonymous No. 141639

>>138304
Hi, what are the best combos to learn that translate well to BJJ and self-defense?

I'm thinking these so far:
>ouchi -> uchimata
>ouchi -> kouchi
>ouchi -> osoto
>ouchi -> kosoto
>ouchi -> sasae
>ouchi -> tai-o

Fuck, I love ouchi. Is having ouchi gari as your tokui waza a thing? I just love how well it combos into everything.

Anonymous No. 141669

I'm right-handed and can do a left-handed ippon seoi (right hand on ukes left lapel), but I find right-handed morote awkward and ippon seoi nage on the sleeve isn't as effective. What do?

Anonymous No. 141671

>>141639
>self-defense
Osoto O-toshi or bust
>bjj
who cares

Anonymous No. 141728

>>141639
osoto -> sasae
sasae -> osoto

Anonymous No. 141742

>>141639
Absolutely. And a guy with a good ouchi gari is really scary because of how many other things it sets up.

Anonymous No. 142022

>>139437
>twice your size
>Osoto Gari

What did you think was gonna happen mate?

Image not available

868x452

4324.png

Anonymous No. 142027

Why isn't this style of Tai-Otoshi allowed or ever used?

Anonymous No. 142028

>>142027
>why
Because you can’t throw while performing a standing armlock because people get injured. It’s one of the only good restrictions the ijf ever made.

I can’t remember his name but there was a judoka who broke multiple peoples limbs throwing himself and his opponent to the ground while locking their arms.

Also just in general it’s a hard position to get into than standard tai otoshi so just do that

Anonymous No. 142030

>>142028
>ijf banning waki gatame was a good thing
>ijf banning
>good thing
no

Anonymous No. 142033

>>142027
>>142028
Nice elbow you have there, would be a shame if something were to happen to it.
https://y.com.sb/watch?v=OIDPU9U7EFM

Anonymous No. 142034

>>142030
Standing arm locks aren’t banned, you can’t just throw someone from that position because it’s unnecessarily dangerous. This is unironically a good call from the IJF.

Anonymous No. 142048

>>142033
what is that link

Anonymous No. 142055

>>142048
Invidious. It lets you view YouTube videos with less garbage.
https://github.com/iv-org/invidious/blob/master/README.md
https://redirect.invidious.io/

if you insist on watching on YouTube directly:
YouTube.com/watch?v=OIDPU9U7EFM

Anonymous No. 142078

>>142034
Banning it and kani basami were very good calls

Anonymous No. 142096

>>141671
Thanks for teaching me about ostoo o-toshi. Why would you use it over osoto gari? I'm seeing that it's a preserved technique.

>>141728
>>141742
Thanks anons

Anonymous No. 142147

>>142096
Osoto-Otoshi allows for you to plant your foot against Uke's calf instead of trying to sweep it from under him, it's more of a pushing technique with your body than it is a pulling technique with your leg. I just perfer it, you'll probably can do either and be fine.

Anonymous No. 142193

Who do you think is the cutest judoka? I know my favorite, but I'm not telling who she is here.

Anonymous No. 142226

>>142193
Itsuki Hirata if you still count her.

Anonymous No. 142278

>>142193
Yawara

Image not available

1126x1080

1681324199107090.jpg

Anonymous No. 142312

>>142193
Hedvig Karakas

Anonymous No. 142354

>>142193
>but I'm not telling who she is here
Rude.

Anonymous No. 142383

>>140718
what koryu jujutsu style do you do anon? I do some koryu stuff alongside judo, but the crossover is minimal

Anonymous No. 142569

>>141639
i thought that kouchi was better for uchimata and taio set up

personally for self defense and bjj, although its technically not a conventional judo throw, i would use a high collar grip in the back of the lapel and break posture, from there you can directly take the back or force them inti turtle. fron turtle you can get the back, get seatbelt for an easy hadakajime (RNC), katahajime, or okuri eri jime which is one of my favourite chokes from seatbelt.

a combo that works occasionalky for me is ippon seoi to kouchi if they step over, this combo should work for most forward throws.

Anonymous No. 142570

>>142193
abe uta got that classic girl next door tomboy look

Anonymous No. 142577

>>141669
Harai goshi

Image not available

720x1280

itsuki hirata.webm

Anonymous No. 142594

>>141639
>>142569
Oh I forgot to mention that I'm a leftie, so ouchi is more situationally common for me. And thanks for the tips. Do you have any advice for breaking posture of stronger, thicker guys? I often find that I'll go against shorter guys with like 30-40 lbs on me and even if I have a high collar grip I have trouble breaking their posture.

>>142226
Seconded for Itsuki Hirata

Anonymous No. 142598

>>142594
>any advice for breaking the posture of stronger thicker guys
this is a question im probably not qualified to answer as an orange belt. i spar often with a 240 lbs 6'4 monstrosity (i am 5'6 175lbs). he goes light because he knows he's a lot stronger and can ragdoll me, but also since he's not that technically advanced he would let me get that high grip and let me break his posture. in other words, you probably shouldn't try to break the posture of someone way bigger and taller than you.
i found the most real success against bigger taller guys by going low. almost like bearhugging, getting a tight back of belt grip or back grip, get your hips close and under his hips, and theres a bunch of uncommon throws you can do like a lateral drop ( believe its yoko otoshi, best version ive seen is by a samboist on youtube) or front uchimata. ogoshi is great from that grip, and you can do drop kouchi and drop ouchi from that tight position. if leg grabs are allowes you can pair ouchi with a single leg.
>stocky short guys heavier than you
thats trouble. you wont find it difficult to get the high grip but budging them is difficult. frankly, no one in my club is stockier than me, but id imagine that you can still break my posture momentarily if you incorporate movement into the kuzushi. Since youre a leftie (left foot forward), once you get the high grip, push step back with your right leg and as you bring back your left leg with you, pull them towards you and into the ground. you'll break their posture momentarily by using your whole body weight. if you time it right you can pair this with ashiwaza or a forward throw.

Anonymous No. 142646

>>141213
>>140338
Can you point out what's the difference? That he stepped his left foot back instead of forward?

Anonymous No. 143082

Reviving this dead thread because nobody uses the kata one, but want some advice. My judo gym is the only one for about 3 hours, and it's a great gym, we've got former olympians and current national champions, but I want to learn the katas and I can't even find a partner who's interested in them because it's such a competition-focused gym. I'm most interested in ju no kata but the only person who would know it is our very old 7th dan as his kata partner died, but he probably can't do it with me because of his body. I think I've nearly convinced the head coach to teach nage no kata since everyone needs it for the shodan eventually anyway, but I don't think I really have a way to learn it since everyone wants to spend time doing uchikomi or drilling.

As an aside, I've gotta get surgery for an injury next month anyway, so since I won't be able to train properly until I'm recovered, I might try and see if I can use pity to get someone to kata with me as a way of being able to still "train" while lowering my risk of re-injury.

Anonymous No. 143083

>>143082
Getting someone willing to take time away from competition training to do kata really difficult even when you’re just doing it for your shodan. Finding another interested partner who wants to practice kata just for the hell of it is going to be even more difficult. What I would not recommend doing is trying to get your coach to shoehorn it into your regular training time just to satisfy you. Perhaps instead try to convince someone to be interested so you can compete in kata comps.

Anonymous No. 143153

>>143083
Yeah I wouldn't force everyone to practice katas just for my sake, it's more that when I mentioned wanting to learn it my coach said "might not be bad to take everyone through nage no kata since they'll need it for shodan anyway". I mostly want to learn it for competition though, but nobody really wants to. My main reasoning is that when I show up to comps we have to weigh in the day before, and that day before is when they do the katas anyway, so if I'm travelling to the arena that day anyway, I might as well do everything I can.

Anonymous No. 143158

>>143153
If your training for a shiai competition wouldn’t you rather use your training time preparing for shiai rather than kata? If you split your time between the two you’re probably going to end up below average at both when you arrive.

Image not available

640x640

1681805347263263.webm

Anonymous No. 143208

Judo throw a horse to break it in.

Anonymous No. 143269

>>138566
Which is a good thing. Belt are earned in bjj n judo. Unlike the watered karate and taekwondo

Anonymous No. 143342

>>138304
>The japanese usually do with traditional holds and grips. The koreans do whatever works best and disregard tradition
Is this a retarded statement made by some weeb or can anyone claim otherwise? I see nothing special in korean judo. The biggest difference I see between countries are the constant randori approach by the french in contrast to the 1000-uchikomi-per-day of the japanese.

Anonymous No. 143426

>>143342
If there's anyone that I feel is flexible with grips as a nation, it's the Russians.

The Koreans do have a penchant for unorthodox techniques like one-hand tai-o and reverse seoi-nage, but I don't any of the Koreans on the international scene do a lot of either. When I think of the Koreans, I think of very intricate grip-fighting and speed, especially on drop seoi nage.

Image not available

608x1080

European Sambo Ch....webm

Anonymous No. 143466

Image not available

608x1080

Anonymous No. 143470

Image not available

608x1080

Anonymous No. 143473

Image not available

608x1080

European Cadets Y....webm

Anonymous No. 143474

Image not available

1920x1080

European Cadets Y....webm

Anonymous No. 143475

Image not available

1280x720

SAMBO action from....webm

Anonymous No. 143476

Anonymous No. 143519

Hey /judo/ what's the better lift for osoto-gari/osoto otoshi strength? Bench press or Push Press?

Anonymous No. 143524

>>143519
Training Judo.

Anonymous No. 143525

>>143524
Based.

Anonymous No. 143526

>>143524
>>143525
>exactly one minute after posting

Samefag

Anonymous No. 143533

>>143519
If you’re fighting that hard for an osoto then you’re technique or timing is probably shit and you should work on that instead. People with good Osotos don’t get into pulling battles with their opponent.

Anonymous No. 143536

>>143519
>>143533
Also, now that I think of it, why the fuck are you even considering using presses to improve your osoto? The primary roll your upper body is playing during that throw is pulling your opponent close to you. You should be doing pulling exercises in that case not pushing.

Do more uchikomis until you understand how the throw works.

Anonymous No. 143537

>>143536
>a grappler is retarded and doesn’t understand basic body movement.
Stay dumb pyjamafags.

Anonymous No. 143538

>>143537
>retarded whitebelt doesn’t understand how to do throws
Do more uchikomis

Anonymous No. 143540

>>138304
I said some full retard shit today in sparing
I might need to find a new gym

Anonymous No. 143541

>>143538
>implying I’d be caught dead wearing your faggy oversized dressed and coloured belts
I don’t do your gay hugging bullshit, just commenting how obviously the people that do are retarded weebs, like you.

Anonymous No. 143543

>>143540
Out with it anon, what did you say?
>>143541
Damn dude you really got us. Le epcik trolling!

Anonymous No. 143574

>>143519
Sprints

Anonymous No. 143588

>>143543
Someone made a joke about the christian church
So I started bringing up how public school are worse
Then I just kept talking about the percents of lgbt commenting the crime
There was one guy goating me own so I just kept talking
As soon as I stopped talking I knew that I fucked up
This was the only group I hung out with on a regular with and I am worried I fucked up
The last something like this happened was when we all went to eat and someone brought up guns
I talked for 13 minutes straight about the mechanics of an SKS

Anonymous No. 143597

>>143588
Based autist. Just go back to class and pretend like it didn’t happen. Also learn how to control your autism. Never lie, but don’t lecture people either.

Anonymous No. 143609

>>143519
judo like most other martial arts focuses on back, legs, and core strength. Do pull up, squats, planks + basic strength routine like SS or SL. if you can, supplement with neck training to prevent concussions and other injuries. make a point to strengthen your legs and your cores and they will also prevent injuries.
personal opinion but dont bother chasing lifts that are too heavy and injury prone, youre not here to wear out your knees, youre here to gain muscle, strength, and stability, so keep weights at a challenging but clearly doable level.

Anonymous No. 143610

>>143537
??
I wrestled for 3 years, did judo for 4 years. I unironically cant think of any wrestling takedown or turnovers where upper body pushing is more important than upper body pulling. All high percentage positions and takedowns are upper body pulling related (snapdowns, double, single, highcrotch, duck under, arm drag, russian tie, knee/ankle pick)
Any "pushing" that you do is usually more of a posting and framing that doesn't require any significant amount of strength and can focuses more on good limb positioning and bone alignment.

Conclusion: youre talking out of your ass and just trying to start a fight.

Anonymous No. 143628

>>143588
Based. It's too bad you didn't know about the severity of systemic child rape within orthodox jewish communities or you could have brought that up, too.
>There was one guy goating me own so I just kept talking
Is this zoomer slang or did you mean "goading"?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/goading

Anonymous No. 143632

>>143588
>This was the only group I hung out with on a regular with and I am worried I fucked up
It boggles my mind that there are places where people actually care about being pc in informal contexts.
Worst case scenario in my area is people stop bringing up politics if they know they're on opposing sides.

Anonymous No. 143633

>>143588
Bridgetown?

Anonymous No. 143634

>>143609
>so keep weights at a challenging but clearly doable level

So like 80 to 85% of my 1 RM For the lift?

Anonymous No. 143644

>>143634
yes.
i do SL. and i lean more on the safer side, and i think a very safe metric is any weight decently challenging for 5x5, but also a weight where Im very confident that im not going destroy my back or joints.
You can injure yourself doing any weights, but the injury you get from a 1rm max is way more severe than an injury from a 5x5 or a 3x5 weight.
You also have to take into account that your body is also doing sparring. So take it easier on the weights. Peak fatigue is when injury occurs the most

Anonymous No. 143647

>>143644
do you do any oly lifting? i heard it's supposed to help with explosivity or something

Anonymous No. 143648

>>143647
no, but then again, im not a pro, Im a hobbyist. I do know that some legit pros do compound olympic lifts like ono shohei, but i think they have a specially tailors conditioning program that just happens to have those lifts.
For most normies. basic Compound lifts that are not too difficult is good enough.
I did highschool wrestling where competition is the endgoal of the team. None of us did lifting conditioning. it was all basic calisthenics and a heavy focus in cardio, and an even bigger focus on drilling techniques and sparring. Most of the time, the reason you flop a throw/takedown isnt a lack of explosive strength but just poor timing/form/setup.

Anonymous No. 143650

>>143648
It’s >BJJ but Lachy Giles (best Australian BJJ competitor) mentioned last month how he doesn’t lift weights at all anymore. Basically said that if you’re at the highest level, he finds he’s better off spending time drilling and working on techniques rather then strength, as if you’re losing at that top level, it’s less likely to be “I’m not strong enough” than it is “I got outplayed”, especially with weight classes. He definitely did weights before though.

I guess it’s sort of like how in sumo they strength train a lot more as juniors than the higher level competitors, as it’s assumed that everyone’s technique is so good at the highest level, that it’ll outbalance any small variations in strength. I don’t really have an answer I guess in regards to what weights you do, but it is interesting to see different training philosophies.

Anonymous No. 143651

>>143650
I think once you can lift 350 lbs off of the ground a in a good solid motion, you can pretty much do anything you need to do when it comes to strength.

Anonymous No. 143676

>>143651
That’s probably true
I can deadlift 350 fairly convincingly weighing around 165 and I sometimes feel overpowered by people objectively weaker than me

Anonymous No. 143688

>>143628
I meant goading my bad
>>143632
I have a bad fear of social isolation I have only left neetdom early this year so I would like to have some people thinking I am normal
>>143633
No
>>143597
It is a point of mine to not lie, I don't mean to lecture I just get on a roll talking and I don't stop

I think the option is acting like it didn't happen and hold my tongue for a few classes

Anonymous No. 143695

>>143650
speaking of teaching philosophy, i actually love the teaching philosophy of john danaher and bjj, and i think judo can benefit alot by incorporating his philosophy into it.
Judo has controlled uchikomi drills at one end of the spectrum for learning techniques and randori at the other end of the spectrum for uncontrolled pressure testing, but i think that alot of the more mediocre judo schools are missing something in the middle to help transition uchikomi into actual throws in randori, because you almost never throw the way you do uchikomis. Danaher and alot of top bjj athletes because of this advocate for situational and positional sparring/drilling to help eith the transition. Also, judo doesnt have a "canon" on what is considered "dominant positions" in standing. The only one i found so far is shintaro higashi and travis steven advocating for a high tsurite at the back of the neck to break posture. I get that dominant standing grips and positions arent as dominant and easy to keep as dominant newaza positions like mount or backmount, but i thinj its still a good idea for the sport as a whole to know what grips and positions to aim for. Idk, just my 2 cents.

Anonymous No. 143698

>>143695
>but i think that alot of the more mediocre judo schools are missing something in the middle to help transition uchikomi into actual throws in randori, because you almost never throw the way you do uchikomis. Danaher and alot of top bjj athletes because of this advocate for situational and positional sparring/drilling to help eith the transition
I think this middle ground is accomplished with grip fighting rounds where you don't complete the throw and attack/retreat drills where every action has a reaction, feels like a lot of learning that's applicable to full speed competition/randori happens from there

Anonymous No. 143700

>>143695
>, but i think that alot of the more mediocre judo schools are missing something in the middle to help transition uchikomi into actual throws in randori
This is mostly an American problem.

Anonymous No. 143703

>>139004
>light warmup, no breakfalls
>10 minutes of talking
>drill some guard pass for 5 minutes
>10 minutes of talking
>drill some guard sweep for 5 minutes
>10 minutes of talking
>10 minutes of pulling guard in sparring
>10 minutes of talking
just like the kodokan intended

Anonymous No. 143704

>>143703
People talk WAY TOO FUCKING MUCH during sessions, I know it's a social activity to some degree but I seriously don't give a shit about what you did last weekend while you were with your life-partner in Hawaii.

Anonymous No. 143723

>>143703
>>143704
I can’t believe this is real, you talk at the beginning and end and probably chat a bit while you’re drilling some newaza, but if you’re paying to be there surely you’re spending as much time as possible training. I love the banter at the start but once stretching is over I’ve never had a conversation go longer than two minutes (except about judo)

Anonymous No. 143728

>>143723
Not even the guy you're replying to but yeah, it pisses me off. I'll be doing randori and throw a guy and he'll get up and start talking "oh cool throw I like how you did so and so and I was trying to do this but you...". I just get up and grab them and try to throw them and they shut up real quick, but after every throw I think they try and waste time in the round.

Anonymous No. 143729

>>140743
Olympic lifts are also massively skill based and require time to learn that can be better spent working on actual judo technique. You can still lift explosively with simpler lifts like a back squat.

Anonymous No. 143739

>>143729
You can develop better power and explosiveness with any lift if you just use a fast eccentric motion or do plyometrics.

Anonymous No. 143765

>>143764
>>143764
>>143764
NEW
>>143764
>>143764
>>143764