Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu General
Leglock edition

Smoothcomp
https://smoothcomp.com

Belt Checker
https://www.beltchecker.com

Previous thread
>>131188

How many comps have you entered this year so far?

Anonymous No. 139188

BJJ is gay.

Image not available

860x559

1677471612256298.png

Anonymous No. 139193

>>139188
something a nigger would say, many such cases

Anonymous No. 139212

What do you think about the instructionals of Danaher and Ryan? Is it just me or are they so detailed and and extensive that it is barely possible to learn all of just one set, unless you are a pro who trains twice a day?
Any other instructors worth watching?

Anonymous No. 139213

>>139212
I find Lachy Giles easy to learn from, and I like the style that Neil Melanson uses so I like his videos.

Anonymous No. 139214

>>139212
Some of it is learning style, but there's definitely a skill/knowledge gate with them too. There's something to be said for learning from "worse" instructors, especially if as you said you're not a professional. Take a look at something with a large variety like Grappler's Guide so you can hunt around different instructors and find someone who makes sense to you. If there's a particular technique or position that you feel very comfortable with, you might also try filtering things through that.

Anonymous No. 139222

>>139212
Lachlan Giles is probably your best bet if you can't get into Danaher/Gordon.
Keep in mind that a lot of their stuff is pretty dense and not immediately applicable if you don't have the experience or mind for it. You'll need to watch something, maybe take notes and screenshots, and drill it for it to make a difference in your game. Danaher & Gordon are giving away fucking gold. If you learn what they show correctly, you will make insane progress.

Anonymous No. 139223

>>139188
Fpbp

Anonymous No. 139226

I train at B-Team.
AMA

Anonymous No. 139268

I can't stop bulldog choking people, I love it so much.

Anonymous No. 139269

Just gathering thoughts, would you guys prefer to roll with a higher belt or roll more with lower belts? I've started teaching classes this year and when we roll at the end of class, I encourage everyone to try and do every round, but when we have even numbers that means I sit out. I'm happy to do that, because it means I can just watch how everyone is applying their techniques and I take that into account as to what we need to work on if I see a bunch of people getting stuck somewhere, but then I also see the posts about "McDojo instructors never roll with their students".

I love rolling, and will roll with anyone/everyone in the class, but I feel bad asking one of my students to sit out just because I want to roll, when I'm here basically every day and won't get much out of rolling with a white belt, whereas they might only be able to make it to 2 classes a week and will get a more even match.

Anonymous No. 139275

>>139269
Pick one student who is visibly tired and say he can take that round to rest while you take his place, you look nice while doing it

Anonymous No. 139383

>>139269
>t. white belt
I thought long and hard about this, but I think it's all about personality/gym vibe. Spazzy white belts and higher belts that want to break your neck are not fun. I roll with pretty much every skill level in our gym because I'm able to keep calm and show that I won't use more than 60% of my strength.

It's perfectly fine if you're sitting out on even rounds. The McDojo comment is about instructors that are not watching their students actively like you do. Also, I'd get more out of one single round with a higher belt that's in the mood to teach, than five rounds with a fellow 1 month white belt.

Anonymous No. 139384

>>139212
I get what you're saying, they are almost too informative for their own good. It's hard to just watch them, let alone put them into practice. Human beings like to finish what they start, and you can't "finish" this.

Here's how I tried to solve this:
>pick an instructional that corresponds with my and my gym's long term and short term goal
>gym's doing half guard, and half guard's most recommended - good, let me stick to it as a LONG TERM goal
>watch the whole thing uninterrupted first without any notes (LIMIBJJ even suggests doing it at 2x speed)
>after that, pick bits and pieces of it for a SHORT TERM goal (example: do 3x half guard sweeps from the bottom in the next rolling session)
You can mix and match - pick one guard, one submission, one escape
>>139222
>>139213
Seconding Lachlan, I'm doing his Half Guard Anthology

Anonymous No. 139387

>>139226
Just tell us what you think is interesting and what we can't get elsewhere, here are some ideas
>what's your skill level and how did you improve at B-Team?
>what's it like living in Austin
>did you get to roll with any of the boys
>is Craig Jones Reddit in the streets, but 4Chan in the sheets?

Anonymous No. 139470

my gym times BJJ and muay thai at the same time so I have to choose one or the other, I really want to learn striking, will boxing be good enough or should I do 2x BJJ 1x muay thai per week?

Anonymous No. 139474

>>139470
Go to both and see what you enjoy? I stopped striking for years because they were at the same time and my Muay Thai coach was dogshit and my BJJ coach was good.

Anonymous No. 139475

>>139275

No, don't do this.

Anonymous No. 139487

>>139470
Do what you want, but boxing will keep your hands full for some time and would be a good base if you decide to go the Muay Thai route afterwards. The schedules might unfuck themselves after some time.

Anonymous No. 139494

>>139387
>tell us what you think is interesting
Positional rounds are not unique to B-Team (I know this comes from Danaher), but I can't stress how much they've made a difference. Every class ends with 6 rounds: usually 3 positional, 3 open rounds.
It is almost always mount, turtle, and closed guard. Most of us play the position until submission (or score), and then switch top/bottom. Sometimes we mix up the positions with leg entaglements, or specific scenarios (single leg on one knee, flattened out half guard, back with body triangle, etc.)
I highly encourage everyone to start training like this. It will poke holes in your ability to escape and control the position.
Another interesting thing is the general vibe in the room. The youtube vids capture it pretty well, lots of fun and joking around despite the level of talent and knowledge. A lot of high level gyms have such a fucking boring, militant energy in the room even though we are all paying to roll around with sweaty men
>what's your skill level and how did you improve at B-Team?
I've been a blue belt for a few years, joined basically when they opened. I've made great, noticeable progress judging by my rounds with certain training partners.
Biggest improvements have been escapes and passing. I've definitely adopted a lot of the Craig/B-Team style, wrestling up and turtling when I have to.
>what's it like living in Austin
I like Austin, but I agree with most complaints (homelessness, price, weather). Like any major city, you pick your battles. I did not move here to train, however
>did you get to roll with any of the boys
Yeah I roll with basically everyone except Craig and Nicky Rod. They're both much bigger than me and it wouldn't really make much sense. Nicky Ryan and Damien are the most productive rounds for me. Ethan tries to kill everyone, but has a cool style. Izaak rolled slow and calm af. Nick Ortiz was kind of in the middle, he would put a lot of pressure on you but was not going 100%.

Anonymous No. 139516

>>139494
>Positional rounds are not unique to B-Team (I know this comes from Danaher)
It comes from wrestling actually, even if Danaher was the first to do it in BJJ.

Anonymous No. 139529

>>139494
>Most of us play the position until submission (or score), and then switch top/bottom.

I do the same with positional rounds for the first half of rolling and free for the second half, except I make them work the same position for half the round, then swap over halfway through, so the students get experience in both positions.

Anonymous No. 139530

>>139516
Also I doubt Danaher was the first to do it in BJJ. I know we were doing it in the UK in 2007 and none of us had heard of him before, it just seems like a natural thing to do if you want to get better at a position.

Anonymous No. 139583

>>139516
>It comes from wrestling actually, even if Danaher was the first to do it in BJJ
I meant that the B-Team guys adopted this from their time training under Danaher... fucking redditor

Anonymous No. 139585

>>139187
useless "martial art" general

Anonymous No. 139607

Do you ever wonder if the women at your bjj gym are there because they were abused and want to defend theirselves in the future?

Anonymous No. 139617

>>139607
no

Anonymous No. 139630

How do I stop being bad at bjj?
I can escape and defend/stall fairly well. I can only submit someone when they make a dumb mistake or I'm stronger than them. I typically eventually lose the defend/escape game and get submitted.
For a more specific example, if I'm in someone's closed guard and his arms are stronger than mine, then he can just grab my wrists and then I can't really do anything. I can usually escape one grip temporarily, but then the other person can get it back. This continues until I get swept, then I defend and stall more, sometimes escape, and start all over. If the person is weaker than me (a girl), then I can just overpower their grips.
I could start lifting, but that may only help me defeat stronger opponents, but I'll still be stuck in the same problem of not being skilled enough to reliability beat someone stronger than me.

🗑️ Anonymous No. 139643

>>139187

LOOKS GAY

Anonymous No. 139649

>>139630
>I can only submit someone when they make a dumb mistake

That never goes away, except you start forcing people to make the mistake. BJJ is really a game of inches in that it might take you literal minutes to pass guard, but not getting swept or submitted is your main goal, especially in guard, because you can't really submit from inside guard. Kinda hard to give advice because I don't know what you know, but focusing on your posture is generally a good thing as it's hard to work much closed guard against someone with good posture. Basically break their grips, and walk your hands back up their torso to their hips, and use them to keep your back straight. Most attacks they'll have to break your posture back down, so just keep breaking the grips and posturing up before you work a pass. The other thing is trying to keep their hips squared with yours, as cutting angles is also how most attacks start.

Anonymous No. 139857

Non-Nordics will never know the feeling of rolling with snus tucked under their lip

Anonymous No. 139943

>>139187
Hello anons, anyone know a site where I can get torrents of bjj instructionals been using bt4g.org but the torrents have low amount of seeders any sites would be welcome thanks

Anonymous No. 139981

>>139857
Bruv you're gonna choke on it wtf are you thinking?

Anonymous No. 140284

should I go to bjj/wrestling training this week when I've got scrapes on both my elbows? the position they're at means that bandages I put on are going to come off pretty easily during sparring.
I don't want to get to get staph infection or something freaky.
I ignore it when I get scrapes on on my feet but these are quite a bit bigger.

Anonymous No. 140285

>>140284
Bandage. Tape. Long sleeve rashie. Elbow sleeve. Simple as.

Anonymous No. 140288

>>140285
yeah you're right If I do all that then they probably won't touch the filfth on the floors. thanks.

Anonymous No. 140860

wish a motherfucker would every once in a while just so I could justify spending the amount of time I do spend training muay thai/bjj

Anonymous No. 140896

Has anyone else experienced knee pain when they put pressure on their knee? It feels like a very strong burning sensation just under the skin on the outside of my knee in the hollow under the knee cap. It only hurts if put pressure on it such as getting on my knees or just pushing it with my finger but normal walking and putting weight on it feel completely fine. It almost feels a bit numb as well. I was looking it up and think it could be something called prepatellar bursitis but wanted to hear if any anons had experienced this kind of injury.

Image not available

288x288

photo (7).jpg

Anonymous No. 140986

how do i make the logsplitter pass not feel like a dick move? sometimes it feels clean, sometimes it feels like my knee is just bulldozing their taint and ballsack
am i just shit at it and/or rushing it? is it the guard player's responsibility not to needlessly cling onto a closed guard that's almost lost when i'm doing it?
would like to hear more from any of you guys who use it and advice on making it work better, with proper leverage etc. i've watched lachlan's video on it

Anonymous No. 140996

>>139269
>when we have even numbers that means I sit out
if you roll when you have an odd number of students you have no reason to be self-conscious about
>the posts about "McDojo instructors never roll with their students"
and can continue the helpful coaching you've been doing. Once you get old you're probably not going to be rolling with young retards who don't know when to stop anyway so might as well get used to the idea now.

Anonymous No. 140997

>>139943
There are some MMA and martial arts threads on >>>/t/ where it might be worth asking.

Anonymous No. 141001

>>139943
i got all my shit from knaben
unfortunately, pretty much the only instructional that i really really want (lachlan giles guard retention) isn't on there

Anonymous No. 141002

>>141001
well i phrased that terribly kek i blame lack of sleep
what i meant was the only instructional i haven't seen on knaben is the one that i actually desperately want. pretty much everything else like danaher and gordon are all there with healthy seeding

Anonymous No. 141016

>>140986
ask them

>hey did I just knee the shit out of your taint and ball sack?
>no
>ok

Anonymous No. 141037

>>139943
Mma-torrents.com. it costs money but it's very cheap

Anonymous No. 141038

Has anyone had difficult transitioning from training 3x to 4x a week? My body feels so much sore and tired now.

Image not available

1280x763

fight.jpg

Anonymous No. 141039

Guy from
>>>139532
reporting back, it went well. Looked like a retard, got subbed repeatedly by some 70 year old purple belt old man from the Phillipines, who looked like pic related and was chuckling the whole time.

Anonymous No. 141047

>>141038
I went from 2x to 4x but not really. Are you stretching after every class? That unironically makes a lot of difference. The only annoying thing is small stuff like if I jar my toe on Monday I have to deal with it for 3 days.

Anonymous No. 141051

>>141039
good shit, keep at it.

I got my first stripe recently. Since I go to the same classes with the same people it didn't really feel like I was getting all that much better.

Then a new guy came in. he was you. I was the Phillipines man. felt pretty good.

Anonymous No. 141294

just got my bluebelt lads

Anonymous No. 141320

>>141294
Time to retire for 3 years

Image not available

767x419

1050675_original.png

Anonymous No. 141339

>>141294
grats
what's your signature move?

Image not available

675x675

1680098269454563.gif

Anonymous No. 141386

>started BJJ like a week ago
>my friend also joins same gym
>we drill together like every class, learn new moves together
>any time we roll he gets super aggro unless we explicitly agree to test out certain moves on eachother
>always does shit like neck cranks, generally just using zero finesse and trying to overpower me while I try to practice my form
>he gets annoyed when other people stop him to give technique advice while sparring, even if he's getting his ass kicked by a high degree belt

Am I being a fag for thinking this is retarded? Any time I roll with someone, I'm just trying to learn and develop good habits. We are both totally new white belts yet he acts like he has something to prove.

Anonymous No. 141399

>>141386
You tell him
>Yo, I like fighting with you, but you're going way too hard for me and I'm worried I'm gonna get fucked up because it feels too uncontrolled
>Do you think you can tune down the aggression level by like 20%?

The key thing is you're making it about what you can handle, not about him, which is true and takes the ego out of it. If he says no, he's not the right sparring partner for you.

Anonymous No. 141401

>>141386
>only started like a week ago

New people always sperg out and use strength because they don't know any techniques. Usually takes about a month. A few rolls with the local mat enforcer should slow him down.

Image not available

689x769

1680344836452007.png

Anonymous No. 141448

Why are people who are clearly homosexual allowed at BJJ gyms? they probably get a kick out of getting RNC'd, can't say no and can only try to avoid rolling with them because if i refuse them then the LGBTQ+ supporting black belt will fucking kick me out.

Anonymous No. 141453

>>141386
he's just a spaz

Anonymous No. 141454

>>141448
I've honestly never seen a gay person in any martial arts gym in the decade I've been training. The closest is a guy from judo that's in a swingers club who's talked about sucking dicks for fun. There was also a guy I used to do MMA with years and years ago who I thought was gay because he was really into designing clothes, but his brother told me he just did it to pick up girls with the metrosexual gimmick and is married now.

Anonymous No. 141462

>>141448
Stand your ground soldier, change gyms if the black belt doesn’t respect your completely normal beliefs

>>141454
sucking dicks for fun is something gays do, he is gay, you cannot unsuck a cock and revert to being straight

Anonymous No. 141465

>>141454
>the guy who's talked about sucking dicks for fun
>not gay
I don't know what else I was expecting from the Blow-Job Jitsu thread.

Anonymous No. 141476

>>141448
If someone is actively sexually harrasing you, the instructor should be locking that shit down instantly, unless they want to deal with lawyers. Too many state laws will fuck any business place that allows harrassment, even by non-employees, to occur on their site.

If you just don't want to roll with the 'mos because you just don't like gay dudes, you can quietly avoid them or you could ask I guess. Just don't be surprised if the owner/instructor tells you to deal with it. You can always change gyms at that point.

Anonymous No. 141477

>>141448
why does it matter dude, i just wanna git gud when i train kek don't give a shit what they do for a living, in private, etc. i know people's names and maybe their games if i've rolled with them a bunch
do you think you're so irresistible that homos will stop at nothing to do gay stuff with you?

Anonymous No. 141520

>>141462
>>141465

I just meant he's not gay as in he doesn't strictly fuck guys, he's married to a woman. He's probably like bi or whatever it's called now.

Anonymous No. 141552

>>141520
He's a faggot using a wife to larp as straight while they both fuck other men.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beard_(companion)

Anonymous No. 141660

>>141454
Sounds like you go to based gyms

Anonymous No. 141670

Went to a turtle seminar a few weeks ago and my neck's been a bit fucked since. Instructor at my club told me yesterday that it's really common, mainly in striking sports (which I also do), and that it could be massaged out.

Anybody know how to massage it out on my own? I'll ask him or somebody else at the gym otherwise. But I'd prefer to be able to do it myself.

Kind of feels like a wry neck with pain radiating down through my left upper traps.

Anonymous No. 141785

I love grappling but nothing infuriates me more in nogi bjj than people who when you try to standup wrestle with them, as soon as you get something good going they just sit down and I have to start passing. Nogi bjj would be such a fun grappling sport with all the takedowns, scrambles and submissions but some people choose to be fucking lazy and just sit down when the going gets hard. I'm probably going to switch over to MMA because of this, but my gym doesnt really have a good MMA program

Anonymous No. 141786

>>141785
sorry bro, it's just that my knees are weak
arms are heavy
vomit on my rashie already
mom's spaghetti

Anonymous No. 141787

>>141785
>as soon as you get something good going they just sit down and I have to start passing
Is it really that good if they can just sit down to get out of it?

Anonymous No. 141789

>>141787
True, but what I also meant is that people usually give in to the takedown just so they can get to the ground which I dislike because I want to wrestle standing up.

Anonymous No. 141793

>>141789
The opposite of that is something you'll see in scholastic/folkstyle wrestling, where someone with a good standing game will immediately allow the 1-point escape in order to set up another 2-point takedown. Cheesing the scoring system happens in every sport.

Anonymous No. 141847

>>141785
They're giving you a free takedown without you having to spend energy. Get good at passing and you'll start loving when someone pulls guard

Anonymous No. 141866

>>141785
BJJ is mostly a hobbyist sport and people don't want to be injured, takedowns seem risky so people sit down if they feel they can't defend it

Anonymous No. 141874

>>141789
Just a couple of things
1. Just pass them if you are so confident
2. Being on the ground is like 90% of BJJ, and is where most of the technical stuff that people want to train is done. Nobody wants to have a move or skillset they want to drill but then spend the entire class getting and losing collar ties or fishing for underhooks. Most people just want to get on the ground and work on their groundshit. This probably carries through to comp at lower levels where they just sit down and get to what they know instead of risk getting taken down and put in a really bad spot.

Basically stop complaining, this isnt wrestling, where pins are all that matters, your job is to submission hunt.

Anonymous No. 141895

>>141874
>this probably carries through to comps at lower levels

I’d say it’s quite the opposite. Lower levels usually don’t have a set game plan so they’ll fight for takedowns even if they have a limited ability, whereas at higher levels people will generally just omit takedowns and work from guard, or whatever they’ve planned for.

Anonymous No. 141942

>>141785
Train ADCC rules, nobody will pull guard because it will lose them points

Anonymous No. 141990

>>141895
Perhaps you are right, but either way people in bjj want to work on groundshit in the gym... usually. If I want to work on a move coach showed me or work on a certain escape or submission or whatever, I'm going to want to work on that move and not spend a large amount of my time standing up

Anonymous No. 142003

>>141787
It’s a cop out. Sitting down when striking is a variable would be suicidal.

Anonymous No. 142015

>>142003
there's no striking in bjj tho

Anonymous No. 142016

>>141785
They are doing this because:
>#1 afraid of injuries
>#2 they don't know how to fall (see #1)
>#3 not a lot of mat space or thin mats
>#4 you spend half a roll on a bad, awkward wrestling match without getting better at either wrestling or BJJ
>#5 if it's a beginner class, you are encouraged to start on the ground for a good reason (see above)
This was my exact thought process when rolling with a guy who insisted on starting standing up after a couple of wrestling lessons.
We solved this problem by:
>making the standup position into a lesson where he teaches me wrestling, and reinforces what he learned
>grip fighting on one leg and "try to get both underhooks and then gently lift me up" exercises

Image not available

1698x1099

Kano Jigoro. - Ko....png

Anonymous No. 142018

>>142003
Getting tangled up in a collar tie when him having a buddy with a knife is a variable would be suicidal. If you're not breaking contact and shooting your partner every time you're not a real martial artist.

Anonymous No. 142021

>>141785
>hand fight for 4min
>shitty single leg
>land in half guard, can't pass
Yeah this is a way more productive way to train. Learn to pass guard, crybaby
>I'm probably going to switch over to MMA because of this
lmao

Anonymous No. 142100

>>141787
Being able to sit down freely is solely an artifact of BJJ rules. If the other guy sits down, the onus is on you to make something happen or you get penalized. In wrestling it would be the other way around.

That being said, if you're doing BJJ you should do BJJ and not bitch about it not being wrestling

Image not available

223x226

EA772851-5475-4EE....jpg

Anonymous No. 142151

I need a free turtle instructional. Something good. I’ve found some of Eduardo Telles’ stuff, but it’s all scattered and I can’t get a general theory from it.

All tips and advice appreciated.

Image not available

940x1024

pepehugeglasses.jpg

Anonymous No. 142200

I just can't comprehend the giggler sweep

Anonymous No. 142227

>>142151
For gi I can't really help, but Craig Jones's power bottom has great turtle material. You can find it for free if you try
>>142200
I've never seen it referred to as the giggler sweep, I was taught it as the john wayne sweep or a knee lever (the Danaher terminology). Search those terms on youtube and watch Lachlan Giles or Danaher clips.
Here are a few tips:
>you need their trapped knee on the mat for it to actually work
>it will be difficult if their knee gets all the way to your far glute
>you need your bottom knee free (i.e. not in between their knees)
>you will need to put some stomp into the motion, just swinging your knees lightly won't always work

More technique discussion would make these threads much better.

Anonymous No. 142263

>>142227
>you can find it for free if you try

Where? I can torrent, but I’m not on mma-tracker or anything. Is it on YouTube?

Anonymous No. 142301

Would a three-stripe white belt progress faster by training with higher belts or lower white belts?

Image not available

1240x1754

Jita-Kyoei.jpg

Anonymous No. 142355

>>142301
Higher belts if they're good training partners or teachers, lower belts if you're just getting ragdolled by dickbags who don't care about your progress. You can learn a lot from both situations but there's more room to receive active teaching when rolling with a more experienced grappler.

Anonymous No. 142389

>>142301
Both, progress in everything is made when you are in the middle of a not-too-hard and not-too-easy zone.
With whites, you can practice landing techniques with lower resistance and dealing with unpredictability. With uppers, you practice survival, and for many teachers (John Danaher included) pin escapes and guard retention is the base of the jiu-jitsu pyramid.
Like >>142355 said, there is also a human element, a dick with a black belt is still a dick. I don't have the chance to roll with higher belts a lot, but the times that I did, it was easily worth 5 rolls with other whites.

Anonymous No. 142390

>>142263
MMA thread on /t/

Anonymous No. 142434

>>142390
Gay

Image not available

800x800

knee brace.jpg

Anonymous No. 142545

I recently had a bad roll that became an LCL issue in my knee and want to use a knee brace so I can keep training safely.

I'm looking at the Genutrain and they've got two models, the
>Genutrain S (premium priced and more bulky looking)
>Genutrain (more normal looking)
Has anyone here used either or both? Hoping to get some opinions on if they're worth it and training with them.

Anonymous No. 142558

>>142545
The one in the pic is the one I see frequently in my gym, I think. You really should just not roll for a while if you fucked up your LCL. You don't want to have nagging, recurring injuries.
The pros in my gym do a lot of KneesOverToesGuy rehab and they say it helps

Anonymous No. 142588

>>140986

>am i just shit at it and/or rushing it?

Idk how fast you're doing it but yea don't rush it, you should be able to do it not too fast and still get through. You shouldn't be kneeing them with velocity.

Also it doesn't have to be one smooth motion you can kind of stagger the split into small pumps if you catch my drift. Still works but makes you look more controlled.

>is it the guard player's responsibility not to needlessly cling onto a closed guard that's almost lost when i'm doing it?

In my opinion yeah. If someone is needlessly holding onto closed guard for dear life most guard breaks are probably going to be uncomfortable for them, they should let go and recompose guard.

Anonymous No. 142591

>>141448

There's a pretty overtly gay guy at the gym I go to, coincidentally also a pretty unlikeable individual. Not hugely so just not the type of person I would get along with, he has a bit of a catty attitude. I try to avoid drilling/rolling with him because he's also much bigger than me so just makes me uncomfortable in general.

I thought maybe I was being paranoid doing that until this colored belt at the same gym told me that this guy has basically been making advances on him for a while which he (the colored belt) had been clearly rejecting to no avail. Finally felt vindicated in my constant avoidance of him and have stopped feeling bad about it. I have to agree I think it's a bit fucked that if a woman said she didn't want to roll with a larger man, everyone would respect it but if I said that I didn't want to roll with a larger gay man I would definitely be attacked for it.

Anonymous No. 142686

I'm 1.5 months into training no-gi and my brain feels like I'm drinking through a fire hose. The gym's great (learning wrestling concepts as well, good atmosphere) and I prefer to slow down and use technique rather than strength - only problem is, I have no technique.

I know watching random YT videos won't work and I have to concentrate on one thing at a time. Every instructional I download, I watch the first part and then it poofs out of my head.
What helped you get over this white belt hump?

Anonymous No. 142688

>>142686
To add to this, here's what I'm thinking of working on, picking one thing out of every category:
>one general concept: hand fighting
>one guard: half guard
>one sweep: knee lever
>one escape: mount
>one submission: arm triangle
Any other 80/20 moves or concepts? Is this too much?

Anonymous No. 142700

>>142686
It's been decades since I was a white belt so my experience is very outdated, but I'd just say trust the process. Don't look up videos at white belt, because you'll overexpose yourself. I'd say it's more important to recognise patterns in your rolling. I keep a diary because I'm a teenage girl at heart, but if you write down every rolling session like something below, it might help

>Roll 1: got kimura'd because I put my hand on the ground in guard, need to remember not to put my hand on the ground.
>Roll 2: go scissor swept from a fake collar choke because I didn't fight the cross grip in guard, need to break that grip.
>Roll 3: Passed guard but got swept with a lasso straight away because I jumped on guard, need to recognise the lasso.

If you right down your mistakes, and say reread them every week or whatever, you'll notice the patterns in your rolling and what mistakes you're making, and work on both fixing them, and how to exploit them when others do it.

Anonymous No. 142701

>>142227
ok I tried it earlier and I kinda get it
I still have to land it while rolling though

Anonymous No. 142902

Anybody tried the Rollbot and have thoughts on how it compares to a regular grappling dummy?

Anonymous No. 142904

>>142902
>$3500-4800
seems really expensive. you can get good sex dolls for much cheaper

Anonymous No. 142914

>>142904
I wasn’t asking broke niggas

Anonymous No. 142917

>>142902
Fanciest one I've used are the Smarty and the 9k.

Anonymous No. 142925

>>142902
Grappling dummies are retarded. You get them for free in class, theyre called white belts.

Anonymous No. 143018

>>142902
The homepage made it seem like it was the second coming of Christ, but the videos have the dummy in the same sitting position. You're basically paying for a sensor (and funding research & development for this technology).

I think we're several years and iterations out from it acting like a 1st day, slow-like-molasses white belt - that will be really exciting. But there's no substitution for mat time and 4k can get you a whole belt's worth of privates.

Image not available

620x380

frog_(1).png

Anonymous No. 143290

>Gi

Anonymous No. 143375

>>142003
>Sitting down when striking is a variable would be suicidal.
How? Punching someone on the floor is really hard and they can kick back, and potentially shoot for takedowns from the bottom as well.
Also in terms of losing propositions Id rather get punched from a defensively relatively safe position ( me dropping down already) than slammed on my head or something. Both suck but with the slam I might also then get mounted and GNP.

Anonymous No. 143388

>>143375
This desu. I hate guard pulling and don't teach it to any of my students, but it's really fucking hard to kick/punch someone who has their legs between you and knows how to retain guard. It's why I think kicks to the head on the ground should be legal in MMA, it's so hard to do. If you want to kick them in the head, you basically have one shot and you better hope it lands, because if it doesn't you have basically given them your leg.

Anonymous No. 143442

Don't know where else to post this so I'll ask here. Due to some inconveniences going to Bjj consistently is impossible for me. I'm a white belt and i can only attend 1 out of 3 classes weekly. Can I still learn the art or am I just gonna stay farther and farther behind? Is there anything to do that helps me keep up like watching YouTube videos ?

Anonymous No. 143447

>>142003
I used to think this but then I remember my nigga Andrew Wiltse suggesting playing a game where somebody puts on 16oz gloves and tries to beat the shit out of you whilst you can only do jiu jitsu. I tried it and found out that if you can post on their hips in open guard whilst they're pressing forwards, you can keep them out of punching range. Then once they inevitably get past your guard, you can start applying overhooks to control their punches, using closed and/or tight waist half guard (like Antonino Noguera).

Of course this isn't going to win you an MMA fight, but I was pleasantly surprised how I could reduce damage with a really cagey and conservative guard. I would highly recommend it - it's actually really good fun and will prepare you for how different your grappling becomes when someone is able to punch you.

Anonymous No. 143449

>>142688
This isn't a bad idea at all imo. One of the worst mistakes I made that stifled my progress as a beginner was running around like a dog with two dicks trying to absorb everything yet gaining nothing more than a superficial understanding of some loosely-related techniques and no real reps under resistance.

Maybe take stock of where you end up a lot as a beginner and start from there? I ended doing a deep dive on half guard which was really fruitful: it changed from becoming a place where the other guy stopped on the way to mount to a comfortable position where I could sweep and attack from. I also learned other concepts in the process that are applicable elsewhere such as base, grip fighting, generating kuzushi, importance of framing and retaining guard.

Anonymous No. 143455

>>139187
Random question since it’s a BJJ thread, but I’ll be starting my first actual class tomorrow. I did a trial class last week and it was difficult than I expected. While I’ve never trained any grappling in my life, I do watch competition BJJ which is why I wanted to start, but on my trial class I acted like I never heard about it and knew nothing which wasn’t a total lie.

The trial class ended up being a gi fundamentals class anyway which I thought would be a perfect introduction. As soon as I got there the instructor immediately told me to hop in on the mat for warmups then drilling. I was randomly assigned to drill with a blue belt, then a white belt for some reason, and then 2 brown belts one after another (funny enough one was deaf).

For whatever reason, I didn’t feel totally welcomed by people at the gym and a couple guys, who were white belts. were even cold towards me when I tried introducing myself or asking questions. Is this normal and am I just overthinking? Or are most BJJ gyms not the greatest at onboarding and helping with beginners?

Anonymous No. 143457

>>143455
New guys come and go all the time at some places. Might just be a lot of churn so they don't bother until they've seen you a bunch. I wouldn't take it personally unless someone goes out of their way to be a dick.

Anonymous No. 143507

>>143455
our gym is friendly to new comers and there is no snarky bitchyness at all really. trial classes are normally taken by experienced white belts/blue belts.

Anonymous No. 143514

>>143455
Most likely one of two things.

1. Most people I know don't really like socialising during training time. usually because they only go to 1-2 classes a week and want to maximise their training time. This is also just a general eastern martial art thing as well. The idea behind "seiza" (where you sit at the start of class, not many BJJ classes will do this) is that you sit and clear your mind of the outside world, so you can focus only on training. Usually at most if I'm with someone I don't know, I'll shake hands and say my name and get their name, and then it's all technique/drilling. I don't really want to waste my training time talking, even with people I'm already friendly with.

2. Like what >>143457 said. My last gym we would literally every week someone come in and tell us how they're going to train hard and do an MMA fight and that's their goal. Then after 1 class, they'd leave, which is fine, combat sports aren't for everyone, but if you have new people coming in every week, it's not really worth making a connection to someone until you've seen them stay around a month.

The above doesn't just apply to BJJ as well, but most combat sports gyms I've been to. My best advice would be to try and talk to someone before/after class starts, but even after class some people are probably avoidant of the stranger, or trying to get home ASAP as they have to work in the morning. Just keep going and you'll be fine. You're basically doing the weightlifting equivalent of walking up to a guy benching and asking him about his day.

Anonymous No. 143630

>>143442
You will make some progress doing four classes per month. Ask your instructor what drills to do at home and consider building or buying a grappling dummy if you don't have any friends or a pet femoid. Improving your overall fitness will help slightly offset missed mat time and help you keep up with the other white belts.

Anonymous No. 143699

How do you guys balance your cardio training?
I am feel like I need to do extra so I got a jump rope
And am planning to doing some hills spirits

Anonymous No. 143705

>>143699
tabata burpees (20 seconds burpees, 10 seconds shadow wrestle)

4 minutes tabata (8x 20s burpees, 10s shadow wrestle)
2 minutes shadow wrestle
2 minutes tabata (4x 20s burpees, 10s shadow wrestle)
1 minute shadow wrestle
1 minute tabata (2x 20s burpees, 10s shadow wrestle)

all done in 12 minutes.

Anonymous No. 143724

>>143455
at my gym we have people coming and going all the time and I initially made a point out of introducing myself and remembering their names but now they’re just people I say hello to on the street cause I vaguely remember their faces

keep showing up for a few months and as long as the instructors aren’t outright insulting, you will probably come to be accepted

Anonymous No. 143733

>>143724
>as long as the instructors aren’t outright insulting
The caveat with this is that bants are a common form of male bonding and one man bants can be another mans insults.

Anonymous No. 143864

>>143705
Thanks

Anonymous No. 143926

Do colored belts that don't compete get less respect? Do they get any respect at all?

Anonymous No. 143927

>>143926
No. Hobbyists should be spat upon, as if they were a dog or an irishman.

Anonymous No. 143969

>>139187
would becoming a contortionist be helpful in bjj? i feel like you'd have a huge advantage if u could bend ur body like a noodle

Anonymous No. 143973

>>143969
To an extent. But unless you're doing it like a traditional circus performer where you're basically a calisthenics machine, overt flexibility can be used against you just as much as stiffness. If you're strong and controlled through that kind of ROM, that would be advantageous. The amount of time and effort required to do both things will likely be better spent doing one.

Anonymous No. 144038

Anyone cross train judo? Have the opportunity to do 2 weeks of judo, what should I focus on most from a bjj perspective?

Anonymous No. 144041

>>144038
I do both twice a week. Basically act like a beginner. Learn judo for judo's sake and not judo for BJJ, because they won't be able to help you apply it to BJJ (unless you're new or they cross-train). Judo is fun, but there's a bit less crossover back and forth in terms of effective techniques than you think.

Anonymous No. 144046

>>144041
No worries, do you work grips and throws that lead directly into top pins? Or just have fun working throwing mechanics and not really worry about where it ends up

Anonymous No. 144048

>>144046
Not him, but there's going to be enough to focus on from grip fighting to timibg to kuzushi to the throw that you'll probably be task saturated. That being said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and always at least finish any throw by aiming for a top pin, usually side control.

Just don't be the guy scoring a gorgeous tomoe nage and then realizing there is no ippon and now you're both back to standing.

Anonymous No. 144056

>>144046
That's me you're replying to but all judo throws (assuming it's a gym that cares about the Olympics) lead into a top pin, as you only get an ippon (instant win) if they land on their back in a controlled manner, which is generally a top position. At worst, if you do a throw perfect, you'll end up in their guard. What I mean more is that they'll teach you grips/groundwork that just plain won't work at a higher level in BJJ as a beginner (as in they'll teach you beginner Judo) but don't dismiss it because it doesn't work in a BJJ ruleset as optimally. Come in with an empty mind, learn why it works in Judo, analyse if/why it doesn't work in BJJ, and take what's applicable afterwards. But if you go in with the mindset of "oh this won't work in BJJ because I'll just grab a leg" then you won't learn anything. Learn why and what they do before you dismiss it is what I mean.

Anonymous No. 144096

>>144048
>>144056
Good stuff thanks fellas

Anonymous No. 144170

>>143733
if he can’t tell banter from insults he is low t and will get filtered out by something else anyways

Anonymous No. 144201

>>144170
>if he can’t tell banter from insults he is low t
Could also be high t, autistic, and poorly socialized.

Anonymous No. 144209

Yesterday I went to the gym first thing in the morning, with basically an empty stomach and half a can of energy drink ...and I immediately cramped up under my ribs, i couldnt breathe and my sweating was out of control.

I was thinking that it was a problem with my 'core' strength

but is it that AND the fact that I was dehydrated? yes im a n idiot yes i should know better, but i dont drink loads of water as is..but i was running late and thought 'what the hell, this energy drink should be enough'

Anonymous No. 144214

>>144209
One of the compounds in energy drinks can make dehydration worse in some people. I can't remember which one. Maybe guarana. I'd lay off, or at the very least try to add electrolytes as sort of a pre-workout for the pre-workout

Anonymous No. 144226

>>144209
>dehydrated
>this energy drink should be enough
I don't really think of diuretics as hydration sources.

Anonymous No. 144273

>>144209
I haven't cramped in a long time and sometimes drink an energy drink before training, but I've usually drunk 3-4L of water before I go. If I'm training in the morning, I try and scull at least a litre. Dehydration is cramps.

Anonymous No. 144276

>>144214
>diuretics
>>144226
>>144273

Thank you for the responses. i have to be alot more responsible with my intake of water prior to working out but also when I wake up (i just read most people sweat in their sleep which is why we feel tired when we wake up) and a pedalite type pre-preworkout which will make a huge difference in my training.

I swear I thought I was going to die in the room. I felt like I needed to throw up but nothing would come out. i learned alot from this one

Anonymous No. 144287

cameron mellott is the least gay bjj practitioner

Anonymous No. 144340

>>143290
I love the gi

Image not available

1242x724

1673706722546493.jpg

Anonymous No. 144444

Advice for a skinny guy doing BJJ.
Most guys I can't match for strength, I'm a white belt 2 stripe.
Any openings or tactics I should use?

Anonymous No. 144447

>>144444
Work on guard retention and escapes.
Get stronger, eat more. That's really the only way. You don't need to be exceptionally strong, but strength will absolutely make a difference in your ability and longevity.

Anonymous No. 144464

>>144444
>Any openings or tactics I should use?
Skinny guy, biggest thing that's helping is lifting on the side. When they're on top of you, often the solution is indeed
>bench-press them the fuck off
You don't need to necessarily be able to lift 160 to get a 160 person off you, but as a soft rule, you need something like half their weight to get enough wiggle that shrimping's gonna do anything for helping you escape when someone's content to sit on top of you, for example.

🗑️ Anonymous No. 144466

pretty much:
>autistic as shit
>probably indian since he doesn't even qualify as ESL but more ETL or E4L
>gets banned daily
>thinks copy pasting the same shit is some epic troll, doesn't even get (you)'s since he gets filtered
>sometimes breaks off from the threads to annoy other generals when he gets sick of being ignored
>buys 4chan passes
>pretends to be multiple people but always gives himself away cuz he unironically pulls the "damn what a fine job these group of handsome trolls did this, i bet everyone thinks they are very epic fr fr"

Anonymous No. 144467

>>144444
Former super lanklet (192cm, 73kg) here. You can't match them for strength, so don't beat them with strength. I pretty much only went for single/double/ankle picks from standing since I've got too much self-respect to pull guard, even in the absolute divisions.The upper body clinching and throws just lets bigger people get a hold of you in my experience. One trick I used to use quite often was to shoot a double leg to my knees and instantly sit through, as most people sprawl for the double leg so you get the sit through and take the back almost instantly if it works. If it doesn't, you're on bottom, which is where you'll likely be if you're playing takedowns with no strength anyway, but at least they don't get 2 points for defending a takedown like they would if they took you down.

The other thing that helped, which is more of a style than any specific technique, is focus on moving yourself around them rather than moving your opponent. An example would be I had a lot more success from guard by getting underhooks and coming around to the back, rather than sweeping, as I'm moving around my stronger opponent rather than trying to move them. When in top, instead of putting as much pressure as I could on someone and trying to hold them down, I'd try and have a lot of my weight on my own feet so I could move around a lot. Like if someone wanted to roll to turtle from side control, let them roll and try to catch an arm or choke on the way, rather than trying to pin or bodies together which gives them a chance to control me.

I compete at 100kg+ now but I still use the above style, and find I have more success against 100kg+ than -100kg since the big guys are used to fighting strength against strength and overpowering, but aren't used to competing against someone who isn't trying to overpower them like I do. I just move around them and keep attacking any opportunity so they're focused more on defence and getting a hold of you.

Image not available

942x622

gameplan.png

Anonymous No. 144513

What y'all think? White belt here, I avoid guard at all costs since my lower back sucks.

Anonymous No. 144515

>>144513
Bit cringe gameplanning at white belt, but if I was flowcharting I'd do it more based on their reactions and comboing rather than just having one thing for each level. Like at mount you only have armbar. I'd go for an americana attack, if they straighten their arm up then armbar, if they hug it across then arm triangle, or if they pull it down to defend then kimura grip and revert to side control. Have 2-3 different options you can combo or swap between like you do with your guard passes.

Anonymous No. 144516

>>144515
>cringe gameplanning at white belt
why? I'm quite forgetful, so for me this is just to clear my thoughts.
>if I was flowcharting I'd do it more based on their reactions and comboing rather than just having one thing for each level.
Good advice boss i'll work on it

Anonymous No. 144551

>>144516
I just meant it's cringe because it's such a low level. Like planning strategies to beat the local kids in a game of street soccer. I guess if you want to win it it's probably not too bad.

I usually just go in and try and read/learn the other person's habits and practice that. I guess I have a gameplan flowchart of takedown>pass guard>submit but you don't get that many opportunities to practice reading a stranger's habits and improvising a plan on the fly, so I usually use most comps for that.

Image not available

1138x428

ju.png

Anonymous No. 145065

everything is impermanent, time will continue to move with or without you
even during the hard times, as long as you keep putting one foot in front of the other you'll eventually get where you're going

Anonymous No. 145143

BJJ white belt here (did it for a month before discontinuing due to scheduling and cost), but ive been wrestling for 3 years and doing judo for another 3 years. BJJ did help me become one of the top newaza guys in my judo club.
To save money, instead or enrolling my 12 yr old brother to martial arts classes (no kids bjj classes near me), ive started training him myself in bjj and groundwork in NOGI (which sucks since im more used to gi) since im not going throw my kid brother on those shitty puzzlemats. and also, bjj is a nice art to learn at your own time because of how much resources there are.
So far my "curriculum" consists of:
basic calisthenic conditioning
light positional rolling to train specific techniques
light rolling for general grappling competence
and as for techniques
>basic mount escapes
>basic mount subs (armbar, americana, arm triangle)
>basic closed guard sweeps (scissor, pendulum, shoulder crunch)
>basic close guard subs (armbar, triangle, omoplata)
>back escapes
>RNC
i would teach him guard passing, but ngl my own guardpassing blows since i mostly trained groundwork against judokas who dont go into guard.
Is there anything im missing in the curriculum? any good fundamentals resources i could check out? ideally free or pirateable.
Also, Im going really soft and slow on him in sparring since hes much weaker than me and i dont want to injure him, is there any tips for how i could do this better to make it more challenging on myself?
Any specific tips to make it more entertaining to a younger student also appreciated

Anonymous No. 145148

>>144513
sounds to me that you have an overall bigger issue of a shitty lower back.
If it is something thats fixable or at least can be made less painful with core strengthening or core stabilizing exercises, you should prioritize doing those, especially since these exercises can immediately improve your quality of life and improve your athleticism by leaps and bounds. Check out the mcgill big 3 for a quick exercises that anyone with back pain should consider doing.
Otherwise, if your current gameplan is essentially top position, instead of a gameplan I would focus more on getting good at guard sweeps, guard retention, guard passing and wrestling/judo takedowns to make sure that you actually do get top positions.

Anonymous No. 145163

>>144513
Go to half guard you fool. Its made for bad knees and back problems.

Anonymous No. 145192

>>145143
Kudos to you
I think a perfect curriculum does not matter, but consistency and keeping the kid interested. Competing with TikTok is rough. 12 is a weird in-between age, he's too big for kids' classes but a grown-up class might seem too rough. We have a 14-year-old in our gym, he mostly rolls with girls, but everyone takes care of him.

Why don't you teach him what you know (wrestling)? One month of BJJ is not a lot, and there are a lot of micro-adjustments for pulling off consistent submissions. Wrestling will go a LONG way in no-gi. I'm training at a modern gym and wrestling is pretty much 50% of what we do. He will have a real wax-on wax-off moment if he learns good hand fighting, for example.

I'll plot out some training ideas for you, here's a sample hour:
>[10 MIN] INTRO, WARMUP
Warmup and basic calisthenics
>[15 MIN] GAMES
There's a ton of fun games you can do with him:
>1. Both of you stand on one leg, and try to make your opponent cross to your side of the mat, or plant his other foot down
This will teach him collar ties, hand fighting, using an opponent's momentum against him, and STABILITY
>2. Touch your opponent's shoulders and keep him from touching yours. Do the same with just knees. Then do shoulders and knees.
Good for coordination, assessing range, defending, positioning
>3. Fight for underhooks (either single or both) until you can lift your opponent off the ground. Who manages to do this scores a point
I don't know if he's big enough for this, but there must be a milder variation of this game
>[25 MIN] TECHNIQUE
Pick ONE instructional, ONE guard, ONE sweep throughout a period of time and drill it together, ex. we are going through Lachlan Giles High Percentage Chokes
>[10 MIN] WARM DOWN
Self-explanatory, I think this is even more important than warmup.

Anonymous No. 145220

>>145192
Thanks, good shit on the basic curriculum. Its good advice to keep it fun and simple, and even positional, making it clear on what is considered "winning".
>why dont you teach him wrestling
simply put. I don't have enough space and the mats i do have are shitty thin puzzlemats. Definitely not something i feel comfortable doing takedowns on. Mat space and quality is one of the bigger limitations i have here.
youre right in that i dont have the micro level details of more experienced bjj practitioners, but i was hoping to compensate that by just sheer volume of sparring and teaching him that sparring and testing ideas is a good way to improve.
Warmdowns are a good thing to do that i completely missed out on. Some end of practice stretching and light exercise would be nice.

Anonymous No. 145233

Does height matter in bjj?

Anonymous No. 145242

>>145233
Yes but it has positives and negatives. Longer limbs are easier to put in jointlocks, but long legs generally make for better guards.

Anonymous No. 145243

>>145233
Not in a "you're 5'5'', quit basketball NOW" kinda way, but "tailor your game in a way that serves your attributes". If anything matters it's weight.

Anonymous No. 145267

>>139187
If you have ever pulled guard even once then you can't fight your way out of a wet paper bag
No exceptions
I will just kick you in the face until you die

Anonymous No. 145272

>>145233
Yes, but BJJ has weight divisions, so you are probably going to be going up against people who are around the same height as you provided you are in your proper weight class. You will probably have a harder time in absolute as people get better and the longer limbed people learn how to use their limbs properly.

Anonymous No. 145277

>>145143
I guess if you are teaching a 12 year old, whose attention spans are known to be poor you probably need to have an even spread of attacking and defending in order to keep him interested. Spending months working on pin escapes and open guard is fine for adults who have discipline but will probably just cause the kid to lose interest.

Basically make a roadmap
>Someones on your back
>You are bottom mount
>You are bottom side control
>You are bottom half guard
>You are bottom guard (open and then closed)
>You are top guard (closed and then open)
>You are top half guard
>You are top side control
>You are top mount
>You are on their back

I know its missing turtle and doesnt go into technical things like deep half or knee shield or whatever but you can see the nice symmetry in the system and by showing this symmetry and this roadmap it makes it easier for someone to understand where they are in the chain and where they have to get to.

Pick a couple of position advancing techniques from each of these stages and a couple of submissions (for closed guard and mount and back control) and do those. Dont overload him with choice and information because unless you have subway surfers going on in the background he isnt going to remember it.

Probably start with attacking stuff, not defensive stuff, like guard passing or submissions from closed guard and then submitting when in top position. It will make him feel pretty good as he can make you tap if he succeeds and if he fails he just tries again, instead of starting him on defensive stuff where essentially being successful is not dying and not winning makes you feel like an idiot. He will do a lot of not winning. After he gets a taste of how good BJJ can make him feel about himself THEN you hit him with the soul crushing process of trying to get good at pin escapes and having a good bottom game.

Anonymous No. 145322

>>145233
body mass is more important than just height
there's a difference between being short and stout vs being small
if you're built like a bulldog and are like 5'6" 220 with strong arms you can be a formidable wrestler and bully people much taller than you around.
if you're 5'4" 125 and are just a miniature person then being small carries all the disadvantages here as it does in any other sport
your best bet is to be quick and squirrely
you can still win but you're gonna have to work harder than everybody else to do it

Anonymous No. 145430

How would you suggest I over come this complex?:
I’ve been training for quite awhile now (brown) I tend to use bjj now for health perks, strong heart rate etc and maintaining my social needs with the gym – when I started out though I was competing every so often, some wins, some losses. I developed a weird anxiety about competing due to my last event: I was going back and forth with my opponent, but in the last min I felt I couldn’t breathe and I lost position and lost by a single point.
I felt helpless out there, not able to breathe and not function with my friends and family watching me in disappointment. I went to the hospital for a physical and discovered after the fact that I have asthma and have to train with that in mind, use medications etc.
The fall out from not winning that one tournament was the gym I was with at the time basically turned their back on me; I got no real insight from what I could have done differently on the mats for a finish, ignored openly when I would ask questions and passed over for promotion twice. So I left the gym to where I am at now.
Currently I do want to go out and compete like everyone else but the fear of my body falling apart in a match terrifies me. Is there any idea of what I should do or if you’ve overcome that kind of negative thought how did you do it?

Anonymous No. 145431

>>145430
Ashwagandha

Anonymous No. 145434

>>145430
Have you heard of DMT?

Anonymous No. 145437

>>145434
No what is that?

Anonymous No. 145464

>>145434
Dicking Men's Turdholes.

Anonymous No. 145468

>>145430
sounds like you just have a toxic ass gym.
I get you somewhat. I competed in high school wrestling and got my ass kicked all the time. But my fellow mates didnt care. And that really is the key to competing. Compete to have fun and see your objective improvement. Don't compete to only win. Winning is a bonus. your real objective is to see where you can improve and what youre currently good at.
>passed for promotion twice
suck, but in the bigger picture, who cares. Your belt rank doesnt mean squat about your actual abilities. This can go both ways, you can either be a brown belt that should be a black belt, or a brown belt that should still be purple. Be humble, and consider the fact that it could be the latter. focus more on skill acquisition and competence rather than belt acquisition. Reminder that nicky rod got ADCC silver with a blue belt, and there's plenty of people who made it into ADCC with brown belts.
Im not saying that youre an elite athlete. just saying that belt often doesnt mean shit other than how long someone has been training, and the length of training doesnt mean that theyre training smart
>i fear my body falling apart in a match
you need to see a shrink. That fear of social embarassment and losing control is actually serious, and it almost sounds like a panic attack.
You can also help resolve this by being objectively fitter. Have dedicated cardio sessions. Improve your cardio outside of bjj. Lift and workout outside of bjj.

Anonymous No. 145493

>>145430
This is bizarre, not only is everyone other than you acting like a cunt, but what's worse, you don't even know it.
>my friends and family watching me in disappointment
Entering a competition takes balls. Even if you lose by falling flat on your face, your family and friends should admire you for trying. You lost by a SINGLE POINT (!) after discovering you have ASTHMA (!!!).
>the gym I was with at the time basically turned their back on me
>ignored openly when I would ask questions
Let's concede that your friends and family don't get BJJ and that they had a cranky day. Now this is truly fucked up. Your teammates are here to make you better. Even if we are living in some machiavellian dystopia and every man is for himself, YOU GETTING BETTER MAKES EVERYONE BETTER.

Even if you are the whitest of white belts, after a competition:
>you talk about it with your coach and experienced teammates
>you run through the positions you got caught in with positional sparring
>you come up with a dedicated gameplan to remedy this weakness, or a plan of attack if you were trigger-shy
>if the problem is psychological, we grab drinks together and I shut up until you vent everything out

Image not available

640x633

FC96FC37-A3AC-4DA....jpg

Anonymous No. 145545

>>139187
1 naga philly
To be naga pitt

First time coming on this board glad to see a jiu jitsu thread. Fucking kino

Anonymous No. 145546

>>145233
Yes, but mostly insofar as it associates with your peak physical mass.

As a 5'7 140 white belt, when someone's tall AND lanky, it's not a significantly harder fight (oftentimes its easier, tall people seem to be big targets and have worse joints) - but when someone's tall and HEAVY, a huge amount of escapes just stops working because
>just lay there as deadweight and watch you squirm till you're tired
becomes an increasingly viable strategy for them to win fights.

If someone 250 wants to roll, unless they're "letting me work", there just doesn't seem to be perfect technique capable of overcoming the mass difference, those fights feel lost in the kitchen or genes, not the gym..

Anonymous No. 145547

>>145546
Once you learn leg locks that'll change
For the time being you're forced to contend with the heaviest part of their body directly

But also try to put on 30lbs yourself, you're thin

Anonymous No. 145549

Blue belt here

Do we have any Pennsylvania anons

>you don't wanna dox yourself too much though

Anonymous No. 145550

>>145546
>>145547
Blue belt here 5'7 was 120-140 as a white belt currently 160.

Listen to that guy, put on 20 lbs more mass more smash

I train with some stud D1 wrestlers when i go no-gi trust me you want that weight

Anonymous No. 145553

>>145468
I appreciate your feed back and i completely agree that the one thing within my control is working out outside of the gym. I bought a fit bit to track my heart rate so i can measure how hard i need to push myself to exceed my limitations. I'll run, hit supersets with weights and do core work outs to expand what in my mind is personal limitations so i can continue longer in training. I like the thought that tournaments can identify where you are at technique wise to just work on that to progress personal goals.
>>145493
You get what im saying ! putting myself out there and then coming back with NO feedback or drills or anything to improve where I was at was deflating. Furthermore, I was only called over to do work with the coaches, when the coaches handpicked guys needed to polish stuff up for their events. I did end up leaving that gym BUT the hesitation is still there because of the experience I had initially. If I had teammates that took me out and celebrated my attempt things wouldnt stick out so much for me i guess.

Anonymous No. 145587

>>145430
Competition is part of your training, it's not the end goal of your training. If you lose it doesn't matter, just try to learn something from the opportunity to roll with guys you wouldn't normally roll with from gyms that may have different strengths and styles.

Image not available

1080x963

1642908672673.jpg

Anonymous No. 145667

>Got to roll with my blue belt qt crush yesterday for the first time in a while
>Round ends, we say thank you
>Catch her smiling to herself
If only she wasn't going out with our coach

Anonymous No. 146016

>New girl signs up
>check her Instagram
>has an onlyfans
>has a Phub page
>did hardcore shoots

Why are women like this? I don't want her around

Anonymous No. 146017

>>146016
>first thing I did was look up her socials
You're her target audience

Anonymous No. 146018

>>146017
Would you prefer I actually talk to a girl like some kind of homo?

Conversations are obsolete when people are casually putting videos of themselves being DP'd with a blindfold on out for everyone to see
Kinda dont see the point of "so you grow up around here?" After that

Anonymous No. 146023

>>146018
>I don't understand why everything I cover in gasoline is on fire

Anonymous No. 146025

>>146023
listen man, I'm just trying to get her out of the gym before she gives someone cock rot
I don't want what she's carrying

Anonymous No. 146048

>>146016
>doesn't link the PHub page
On today's episode of "things that totally happened"

Anonymous No. 146085

>>146048
Don't want to dox myself, because you'll find her twitter which has my gym and someone will be a troll and start contacting people there

Anonymous No. 146090

>>146085
Literally no way they could know it's you, retard

Anonymous No. 146096

>>146016
I briefly trained at a gym owned by a lady who was on Ultimate Surrender. True story.

Anonymous No. 146100

>>146085
>Tells a story on 4chan
>Is shocked when asked for tits or gtfo

Anonymous No. 146101

>>146096
who

Anonymous No. 146102

>>146085
>someone might do what I wanted to do
Jesus christ dude

Anonymous No. 146108

>>146101
Shawn Tamaribuchi, did Ultimate Surrender under the name Syd Blakovich. Actually has a legit BJJ black belt.

Anonymous No. 146130

>>146102
I'd just hate for this to negatively impact the gym. The owner definitely didnt know about this when he accepted her in and now his brand will be linked to her

I'm not sure how I'll be able to make eye contact with the girl again after seeing what I saw...I mean yeah I obviously jerked off to it but it was not my proudest fap

Anonymous No. 146151

>>146130
>his brand will be linked to her
My God, has anyone told her grocery store? What about her favorite restaurant? Won't someone think of the businesses?

Anonymous No. 146154

>>146151
that's the right idea
certain people should be pushed back to the fringes of society

we started going wrong by allowing these kinds of people to mingle with the rest of us

Anonymous No. 146192

>>146154
People who post on anonymous image boards being the first to go, of course. It's just better for everyone that way.

Anonymous No. 146209

>>146016
do you normally cyberstalk every new girl who joins your gym?

Anonymous No. 146211

>>146016
how did you even find her insta to begin with? i also have an of and train so what

Anonymous No. 146213

>>146211
I didn't know you posted here Kit Dale.

Anonymous No. 146259

BJJ hate/cringe thread
>evolved into a serious discussion about grappling styles and future
BJJ official thread
>devolved into a shouting match about some whore

Anonymous No. 146267

>>146259
because pro-bjj threads are an echo chamber and in cringe threads the haters might make some valid points if you're willing to listen

Anonymous No. 146491

Can any of you guys seed the buzzsaw passing series or suggest any other passing stuff from rut. I watched Danahers gff series and that was a slog man

Anonymous No. 146492

>>146491
Have you checked bili for it?

Anonymous No. 146493

>>146492
>bili
I have no idea what this is

Anonymous No. 146494

>>146493
Chinese YouTube
They give 0 hecks about our copyright laws so you can just stream instructionals off of it

Anonymous No. 146495

>>146492
Hey the other anon here. Found what I was looking for thanks. Wish there was a download feature though

Anonymous No. 146496

While we are on the topic I guess no one is ripping lachlan's stuff yet huh? The website looks so clean, I might just buy his subscription

Anonymous No. 146504

>start going to MMA gym
>grappling class
>live roll
>gets neck cranked
>gets neck cranked
>gets forearm crushing throat
>gets neck cranked

Anonymous No. 146506

>>146504
Thats what you get for rolling with wreslters. At least you didnt get oil checked.

Anonymous No. 146507

>>146506
They weren't even the wrestlers, the wrestlers just ram their elbow tips into your throat.

Anonymous No. 146524

>>146504
You're not going to find very good jiujitsu at an mma gym
Like you'll learn how to brute force a tap but not how to properly apply things

For example you can tell if someone is good by their head and arm triangle
Is it making you go to sleep or is he just crushing your vertebrae and popping your head off like a cork? Both will get a tap but one is wrong
MMA gyms take the sloppy pain compliance route in every technique
The problem with that is the tap is coming because the guy doesnt want to have a stiff neck the next day not because you truly incapacitated him

Anonymous No. 146539

>>146496
Unsweepable and Berimbolo are ripped, but Lachlan is a lad, my favorite instructor

Anonymous No. 146540

>>146524
Reminds me of my beginner's class
Too many burned-out forearms to count

Anonymous No. 146653

New BJJ comp in Australia is trialling takedowns as 2 points and throws as 3-5 points based on amplitude and technique. Be interested to see how they judge the throws.

Anonymous No. 146658

>>146653
My suggestion is that if you get picked up in guard and then put back down its scores as a takedown for the other guy
Because it is
You were off the ground and now you're back on it, you couldve let go but chose not to
So now theres a consequence for trying to hang on like a monkey. No more gaming the rules and doing something stupid like that just because you cant be slammed

Anonymous No. 146661

>>146658
Slams are just allowed in brown/black belt level division of this comp, so there's no reason to give points. If you slam hard enough, and they're dumb enough to keep hold, you win.

Image not available

800x532

DSC_0045.jpg

Anonymous No. 146711

Opinions on being on bottom and catching the opponents arm with your legs like pic related? I'm a white belt so I don't understand how realistic it is you get this, I'm guessing it's just some what of a cheesy trick that is good to have in your arsenal.
I guess that neutralizing the arm gives you time, but any good escapes submissions from this position? You can do a kimura from here with their other arm, forcing them into a crucifix. Again I'm just a retarded white belt.

Anonymous No. 146713

>>146711
There are (kind of bullshit) options to attack or stall from this position, I wouldn't really spend your time on this. You could become really good at side control escapes, and attack from your guard instead.
I recommend Lachlan Giles (submeta) or John Danaher for studying material.

Anonymous No. 146723

>>146711
Just get up
If he made the mistake of going to side control its time for you to stick your elbow into his throat and stand up
It's a bad position with no value and it's only taught because the ibjjf gives you points for getting there

Image not available

1920x1080

1683617890171299.png

🗑️ Anonymous No. 146752

>>>/vg/429688447
Bitch slap General /rnr/ #1347
Asked /niger/? Edition

Welcome, this general is for the discussion of retards.

COPY DUMB MESSAGES WITH CTRL+C, PASTE THEM WITH CTRL+V INTO DEEP L TRANSLATION. JUST CLICK THE WINDOW AND PRESS CTRL + C, IT WORKS LIKE A BITCH.

>Downloads:
Pre-Installed Game: https:/me/.xml updates: https://github.com/rteard.com
Anon's Modded Pre-Install: https://pastebin.com/42JS3q6E

>Information:
Install Guide:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vS8Ap6CrmSNXRsKG9jsIMqHYuHM3Cfs5qE5nX6iIgfzLlcWnmiwzmOrp27ytEMX03lFNRR7U5UXJalA/pub
General FAQ:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200216045726/https://pastebin.com/bhrA6iGx
Niggerfaggot Guide and Resources (Modules, Tans, Props, Poses, and More):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17qb1X0oOdMKU4OIDp8AfFdLtl5y_4jeOOQfPQ2F-PKQ/edit#gid=0

>Character Cards [Database], now with a list of every NonOC in the megas:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1niC6g-Xd2a2yaY98NBFdAXnURi4ly2-lKty69rkQbJ0/edit#gid=2085826690
https://db.bepis.moe/rnr/

>Mods & More:
Mods for dumbass(ppx format, the mediafire has everything):
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/vwrmdohus4vhh/Mods
/fag/ Modding Reference Guide (Slot lists for Hair/Clothes/Faces, List Guides, and More):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gwmoVpKuSuF0PtEPLEB17eK_dexPaKU106ShZEpBLhg/edit#gid=1751233129
Booru: https://aau.booru.org

>HELP! I have a Nvidia card and my game crashes on startup!
Try the dgVoodoo option in the new win10fix settings.
Alternative: Update your AAU and see if it happens again. If so, disable win10fix, enable wined3d and software vertex processing.
>HELP! Required Windows 11 update broke things!
winkey+R -> ms-settings:developers -> Terminal=Windows Console Host

Previous Thread:
>>>/vg/428858839

Anonymous No. 146755

>>146752
Sir, this is a blowjob jutsu board

Anonymous No. 146756

>>146752
I'm trying to fight people but they just keep having sex with me

Image not available

508x720

2b16eceab0872f8f2....jpg

Anonymous No. 146759

>>146752
>>146756
>Tfw no anime gf to flying armbar me
how did it all go so wrong?

Anonymous No. 146835

The slight over weight girl ripped ass in north south two days ago
I was so turned on I forgot to fight so she got a double wrist lock and a armbar
I don't even likes fart's or shit like that but it was hot
So now I have a crush

Because of that in today's class I made a point of rolling with her 4 times
I submitted her each time

Anonymous No. 146872

>>146711
I don't think he's catching the arm in your pic. He's just using a half assed figure 4 to create a frame to block the attacker from sliding his knee over in an easy transition to mount.

Anonymous No. 146916

>>141386
He's a white belt spaz. They either calm down or quit after a while.
If it wants to be very aggressive he should do a striking sport with hard sparring instead.

Anonymous No. 146917

>>141448
Wtf where do you live. I've trained BJJ/MMA in Spain, France and Japan, and I have never seen a homosexual or anything like that in a club.
And every club I've been to, the most common insult is "faggot" (in the local language).

Anonymous No. 146918

>>142902
Grappling dummies are shit honestly. Just use your little brother if you still live with your parents or your wife if you're an adult.

Anonymous No. 146919

>>143455
A lot of people just ignore the very new guys because half of them will disappear within a month or two. I don't bother to remember their names.

After a few months and if he comes frequently I'll be open to talk and remember him.

Anonymous No. 146920

>>146016
Do what I do. Just don't partner up or roll with women. They'll soon think you're a weirdo or a religious guy and won't get near you.

Anonymous No. 146921

>>146130
Print a disgusting screenshot of her doing degrading things and tape it to the door of the gym.
She won't come back.

Anonymous No. 146923

>>146921
Blindfolded with her hands tied behind her back and taking it in the ass while another guy spits in her mouth?

Anonymous No. 146926

>>146917
We have a gay, and he's really good too which is the problem. He has been training for 10 years at least now and started as a high schooler

Hes an obvious bottom twink but he'll fuck a nigga up
Definitely one of the better guys at the gym

Image not available

560x743

gnetlemen.png

Anonymous No. 146958

>no-gi baseball chokes
>in a gi
how do i make this my entire personality?

Anonymous No. 146972

>>146958
I consider the gi to be a crutch, and the techniques that employ it to be inherently dishonest
Much like a samurai would only draw his blade against a worthy adversary
I will not use the gi to my advantage
If I use the gi against you it's because you have earned my respect and have forced me to use underhanded strategies to win

Anonymous No. 146982

>>146972
Guys, do you think colored belts should have SOME gi experience, just as a rite of passage?

Anonymous No. 146983

>>146016
Consider quitting porn. You might regain some of your sanity.

Anonymous No. 146994

>>146982
Gi is wholly unnecessary because all nogi techniques work with or without the gi
Gi training made sense in 19th century japan when people were actually walking around in kimonos
But today it should be reserved as something you may choose to do academically if you're interested in traditional techniques. Not something that should ever be required.

Anonymous No. 147038

>>146958
I kneel

Anonymous No. 147101

>BJJ 4x per week
or
>BJJ 3x + wrestling 1x per week
Which is better if the goal is to win tournaments without ever having to pull guard

Anonymous No. 147106

>>147101
You still need a little wrestling, but it doesn't need to be great. It's extremely rare someone's gonna be good enough to decisively win the fight based off the standup (and if they are good enough to do that, then you were fucked no matter what because 1x a week wouldn't have stopped them anyways) so just focus on being JUST good enough to indicate to your opponent
>I'm not planning to pull guard, you do it or we're gonna be here a while.

This means if you and your training partners are starting from standing and are drilling takedowns, just do the 4x BJJ. Do the wrestling if they're refusing to do it.

Anonymous No. 147108

>>147101
The second one for sure
It takes a very small amount of stand up to be a god at feet to floor in bjj
I'm a lowly yellow belt in judo and people in bjj are terrified to stand with me
It's kind of wild because I only know like 2 our 3 throws I'm any good at and they literally cant stop it

People legitimately warn others "yo watch out for his judo"
I'm like fucking whut because I cant do shit against someone that's actually decent at judo but smash bjj guys all day basically at will

Anonymous No. 147176

What is the jump from puzzle mats on concrete to something like 2.5'' Fuji mats like?

Anonymous No. 147182

>>147176
>puzzle mats on concrete
Holy shit, you must be beat to fuck after every practice if you're taking full throws on those. I bet your breakfalls are legit though.

Anonymous No. 147185

>>147182
It's neither (I'm mostly pussying out or going slow-mo on takedowns/throws) but now I know the answer to this question, hahaha. They are tatami puzzle mats to make it more hardcore.

Anonymous No. 147229

I am a mallet whitebelt with 3 stripes and have started training no-gi. Everyone I train with are much bigger than me (66.6kg) and am staying consistent but of course am struggling to score points at all when sparing. Any other smaller guys have any advice to improve?

Image not available

643x518

legs.png

Anonymous No. 147239

>>147229
>but of course am struggling to score points at all when sparing. Any other smaller guys have any advice to improve?
When you fight bigger and stronger people than you, fight for their legs or their back, both are huge and if you channel your inner
>STR vs DEX
you have an easier time getting them then they do of defending them.

Anonymous No. 147253

>>147229
if you're small your next best option is to get as flexible as possible so you can be comfy while getting crushed and maneuver around
it's the only way forward to be like the miyaos who are total manlets

Anonymous No. 147307

>>139187
So, what would you fag rollers do, if you were getting this lock, BUT you were trying this shit in a real fight, in the real world, and your opponents buddy comes sprinting at you out of nowhere wearing steel toe construction boots, barreling down on your temple? The real question is, why would you put yourself in that position, just to win a fag roll, when you could approach the problem with far safer measures.
>Submission grappling is the narrowest most restricted form of martial arts.
Something that inefficient must have some other selling point to attract so many dudes, pretty sure it's the faggy stuff.

Anonymous No. 147312

>>147307
well his knee is completely destroyed and he may never walk normally again. In competition you give your opponent some quarter and apply pressure gradually so they have a chance to yield. in a real fight you just explode his knee in an instant and stand right up.

>Submission grappling is the narrowest most restricted form of martial arts.
objectively that's boxing

Anonymous No. 147329

>>147312
Right cause it's just that easy to explode a knee. Ffs, actual train before you write on it. That you say that its boxing proves you're either retarded or trolling.

Anonymous No. 147330

>>147329
It actually is, the reason beginners arent allowed to do heel hooks is because of how devastating an injury you can cause without even meaning to
You start them off with a .22, not an rpg

Anonymous No. 147350

>>147307
>What would you do if a Deus ex machina appeared on the verge of victory to bail out your opponent and make you lose the fight?
Lose, probably.

Same as a striker would if their friend sneaks up behind you and sucker punched you in the neck while you were squared up against his buddy in the front, or if a wrestler double-legged you right while you were trying to suplex someone.

As it turns out, martial arts as a whole kinda don't work against multiple people who fight you all at the same time.

Anonymous No. 147363

>>147350
Typical fag roller response that completely ignores the practical reality that the fag roller in this hypothetical scenario has no effective measure to deploy if he notices it, by the way, nice fag roller technique there, inserting that fag shit about being snuck up on. I never said anything about it being concealed. You could have all the advance notice you could ask for and a fag roller would be COMPLETELY defenseless. Meanwhile someone who doesn't play that game, would have at least a few options given that they noticed the change up. You're right about one thing, martial arts isn't a great solution for multiple attackers, mostly because your main goal should be too get away. So, in that scenario, tell me how useful fag rolling would be compared to striking, throws, and take downs.

Anonymous No. 147366

>>147363
So in your hypothetical I see him coming?
Imanari roll to kani basami sweep to cross ashi inside heel hook, if his skull didnt already crack when it bounced off the sidewalk I rip his knee apart in .2 seconds as well

Anonymous No. 147369

>>147363
>by the way, nice fag roller technique there, inserting that fag shit about being snuck up on
That's based on your line saying
>your opponents buddy comes sprinting at you out of nowhere wearing steel toe construction boots, barreling down on your temple
That sounds pretty surprised and snuck up on to me.

If you're changing the scenario to
>It's not a surprise and you have 5 seconds of lead time to take action, what now?
Probably the same thing most martial arts would advise you to do: get up, stop fighting with the first guy, turn 360 degrees, and run away. You should have zero guilt pussying out of a 2v1 fight in sports where anything besides 1v1 basically isn't trained by anyone serious.

Anonymous No. 147371

>>147369
It isn't really a 2 on 1 fight, If this scenario starts up and you have the Mikey lock already in place and you see the friend coming up, you blow out the knee of the guy you have then stand and engage his friend now
It's still 1v1 but you also have the fug factor of his friend writhing on the ground after you just snapped his buddies shit like a stone cold sociopath. so chances are he's a little gun shy now too

Anonymous No. 147401

>>147366
OMG REALLY? Can you do that neato sherlock holmes thing where you see it all happen in your head first too?!?! Fuck out of here with that cringe bullshido talk.
>>147369
Suppose I could have phrased that differently. To me, "out of nowhere," doesn't necessarily mean out of sight. In this context it means that one second this was a gentlemanly engagement between two dudes, then one fuckers friend jumped in, thats all. And that's my fucking point dude. Obviously your first priority would be to get the fuck out of dodge, but there is a reason more than one martial artist has given the advice that you should learn to fight backwards. It's not gonna be as simple as just booking it. You're gonna run, get slowed up, hopefully get off a few good shots, maybe toss a dude, give yourself some time to make more distance. That's all I am saying but BJJ dick riders are all up in my business acting like the motherfucking thought police on this board for even so much as questioning the efficiency of focusing on submission grappling.

Anonymous No. 147465

>>147401
Not him but the point still stands. If the fuckers friend jumps into a 2v1 and starts clocking you then you lose anyway, especially if he hits you in the back of the head. Both of them together could also grab you and take you down you would be in the same position as the grappler in your scenario. You lose anyway in a 2v1 because they have two pairs of hands and feet and you don't and they can cut angles on you. The only real theoretical advantage of striking sports in this encounter is that it is fractionally easier to start running as you are standing, but that depends mostly on if you are able to react fast enough after the initial surprise attack from dude #2 before both of the dudes grab you and tackle you down. This is unlikely. If there are two of them and one of you then one of them WILL grab you and tackle you down and then they will most likely start stomping on you and hitting you.

The only scenario in which striking fares any better than grappling is this single scenario

>Guy #2 hits you and doesnt do enough damage to either KO you or knock you down.
>You are super prepared for this and dont get startled or stunned by the sudden surprise attack
>Neither one of the guys is fast enough to take advantage of your distraction and grab you and tackle you down. Tackling you is the best course of action for them as it stops you from hitting them and allows them to hit you
>You are also faster and have more stamina than both of the people if they decide to chase you so you can get away.

Thats a lot of conditions for striking to be considered more effective. If you KNOW that a 2 on 1 is likely then dont go to the ground, but unless you are walking around by yourself getting into fights with gangs of people you should be fine on the ground, and if you are then you are 99% of the time just going to lose irrespective of what you do. In such a case you basically have to pre-emptive strike to take one out and even the playing field, but thats super risky.

Anonymous No. 147473

>>147465
>tl;dr Nuh uh
Idk why I bother with this board when it's 99% faggots doing mental gymnastics to defend shit they don't train.

Anonymous No. 147485

>>147465
You know if you want to play this stupid imagination game we could spend all day describing the precise scenario where shit won't work. That's was never the point here. It was simply admitting there exists a scenario where grappling isn't your best choice. Instead of just admitting the same thing that dozens of pro fighters have, you write a wall of cope that amounts to the same faggy "i can see all in my mind's eye" sherlock holmes autistic cringe shit.

Anonymous No. 147486

>>147485
bjj doesn't work in all scenarios, krav maga doesn't work in any scenarios

Anonymous No. 147487

>>147307
>>147329
>>147330
>>147350
>>147363
>>147366
>>147369
>>147371
>>147401
>>147465
Go train

Anonymous No. 147500

>>147487
Oh be quiet, I'm sure I could tap anyone on this board

Anonymous No. 147504

>>147500
are you the one who posted the cringe sentence about doing an imanari roll?

Anonymous No. 147507

>>147504
I'm saying I'm more physically fit and skilled than anyone around here. Not as a matter of arrogance, but as a matter of likely statistics.
I'm only on here right now because it's after 11 so my morning training is done, no lifting today but flexibility and restorative movement, then training again tonight at 6:30 so I'm waiting until my next training session. I have a part time job, only 15 hours a week and spend the rest of my time lifting weights and training. using the power of high functioning autism during my ample free time I binge bjj fanatics instructionals and draw on them with near perfect recall.

Anonymous No. 147551

>>147507
>Not as a matter of arrogance, but as a matter of likely statistics
likely statistics: you're a white belt under the age of 22, and you get smashed at your gym consistently

Anonymous No. 147564

>>147551
the only person I've ever felt completely outmatched by was haisam rida, he was simply just too much of a physical presence for me to deal with.

Anonymous No. 147567

>>147487

Image not available

800x1067

MonkOfApproval.jpg

Anonymous No. 147568

>>147487
Forgot pic

Anonymous No. 147570

>>147564
lol
when are you competing at ADCC? sounds like you have a shot at double gold

Anonymous No. 147571

>>147570
I don't think I have the constitution to be a great competitor. Something about performing when there are stakes and people are watching, I get so nervous and feel that way the whole time. I hate that feeling.

Anonymous No. 147583

>>147571
>I could tap anyone on this board
>I train twice a day
>I binge instructionals
>only outmatched by haisam rida
>oh but I can't compete
lmao I love autistic white belts

Anonymous No. 147589

>>147583
I never said I cant lose, I just gave an example of the tier of athlete it takes to really beat me up. certainly nobody around here could do it.
I'm below world champion jiujitsu level, but at least UFC top 15 level grappling

Image not available

622x348

CONYFOS.jpg

Anonymous No. 147591

>>147589

Anonymous No. 147592

>>147589
>at least UFC top 15 level grappling
If you don't compete, why do you think this? Do you tap black belts consistently? Do you go to open mats at different gyms? Or are you just a lying autist?

Anonymous No. 147601

>>147583
Bet he rolls every round like the mundials in the gym lol

The difference between noncompetitors and competitors is mighty wide.

Image not available

656x368

20190925_215638_1.gif

Anonymous No. 147605

>>147591>>147592
I only used him as an example because hes the most recognizable name I've rolled with a significant number of times after becoming advanced
That's not me, obviously I'm holding the camera but just some proof

Anyway I'm from NY, I've been there done that with weidman at Serras (he sux by the way) wonderboy when he was up here visiting, randos from marcelos and renzos, bernardo a long time ago, eddie is the only former danaher I've rolled with and I didnt know much about leg locks at the time, but the regular mma pros were no trouble, at unity rolled with tex johnson and Paolo miyao, I've improved a lot since then.

Basically the point is I know where I stand
The jiujitsu pros are better than me, the mma pros are not

Anonymous No. 147612

>>147605
Weidman is a Serra/Renzo black belt and won trials... he was likely taking it easy but you are too autistic to realize. I've rolled with a bunch of celeb grapplers too, it means literally nothing.
Sounds like you train randomly and think you're very good for pretty much no reason

Anonymous No. 147621

>>147612
If you've been to serras you know nobody takes it easy
That's why his business is failing and he had to close a location. The mat is full of a bunch of bro douches mufukkin bjj bro rolling like they're in the Olympics or something

Anonymous No. 147679

tonight I decided to test myself and challenged 2 guys at the same time
it was definitely tiring but I still won
my ankle is a bit sore from a foot lock attempt but that's it, aside from that I tapped them both 2 times each during the round

Anonymous No. 147778

>>147473
>>147485

This is not nuh uh bullshit. This is just saying that striking is actually also extremely ineffective in multi person vs single person combat, because literally all martial arts are. The minute there are more than one pair of hands and feet working against you you are kind of fucked.

The thing that was posted was just all the conditions that would need to be satisfied for striking to be effective in a multi person fight, i.e its really unlikely. You could just as easily post some shit about heel hooking someone and destroying their knee and then facing fighter #2 and it would be just as realistic as the scenario in which striking outperforms grappling. It is possible, but extremely unlikely, and you have to weigh up the lost opportunity cost in choosing one over the other. If you could fucking read you would see that

Anonymous No. 147779

I hate that 90% of content on this board is the same regurgitated retarded debate about which martial art is best in whatever context depending upon a billion different factors

How about go actually train instead of wasting time armchair generaling about some retarded shit that doesn’t matter?

Anonymous No. 147782

>>147779
Yeah it's frustrating. I think most people don't train, considering the fixation on alternative options (i.e. non-MMA martial arts)

To add some decent BJJ discussion: What are you guys working on? Any challenges? Maybe others can chime in with resources/tips.
I'm conflicted, I'm decently well rounded (2 years into blue belt) but I really need to focus on something and start to excel at specific positions. I think I might work on wrestling and back offense

Anonymous No. 147792

>>147779
All we can do is focus on constructive contributions. Just ignore the crappy threads & move on to a positive one that is actually discussing training tips & such. There's negative folks everywhere but threads like this are basically containment.

Anonymous No. 147793

>>147782
You realise these threads turn into shit cause of petty stuff like you just said.
>I think most people don't train, considering the fixation on alternative options (i.e. non-MMA martial arts)
Don't know exactly what you mean by that but why even say it? See>>147792
Lets avoid the identity politics bullshit altogether and just let our contributions reveal whether or not a person is a bullshido hack.

Image not available

1024x702

graphite.jpg

Anonymous No. 147795

>>147782
I'm getting really good at breaking closed guards, but once I have, I'm struggling with getting the actual pass.

I'm getting framed out, kinda slide down, and typically end up in some shitty nipples-to-nipples half guard instead of side control or mount. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Image not available

400x223

217de095-ad3a-40e....gif

Anonymous No. 147798

>>147795
Sorry but reminded me off this. I'm saying this next time that happens to me.

Anonymous No. 147803

>>147795
>typically end up in some shitty nipples-to-nipples half guard instead of side control or mount
Chest to chest half guard is a a great passing position and a huge upgrade from half guard. Half guard is actually a really good place to start learning passing, and it's not a hard position to force on people. I would look into some Lachlan Giles or Danaher instructionals (even youtube content will make a huge difference)
Are you getting out of closed guard from the knees or standing?

Anonymous No. 147804

>>147803
I get my best results with getting a sleeve, starting to stand on the side you're controlling, then kinda knee slamming into their hips with it while pushing down their far knee. As long as you don't lose the sleeve so they can go for the ankle, it's been fairly consistent.

I've tried the butt wedge on knees thing and in practice once you go for it, it feels WAY too easy for your opponent to keep you locked up in endless grip fights until they can break your posture

Anonymous No. 147810

>>147804
Breaking closed guard is an important thing, now you can continue to work on it and learn more passing stuff. I would recommend learning a good knee cut and, more importantly, half guard passing. If you get good at half guard passing, you can start forcing half guard pretty easily and increase the likelihood of passing
>butt wedge thing on knees
I prefer this standing (I really only break closed guard standing but I mostly train no-gi).
This clip is probably the best example of this pass: https://youtu.be/FChiT98_Cgg

It's not for everyone, but I really recommend getting some good instructional material and learning it thoroughly. Escapes, guard retention, and half guard are great places to start

Anonymous No. 147813

Give me one good reason why sticking your elbows into someones thighs to break closed guard is bad

Make sure it's a good reason, not the "well you wont make friends doing that"
Not here for friends faggot I'm here to git gud, now give me a good reason why doing this easy low risk move to open the guard is a bad idea

Image not available

1200x675

file.png

Anonymous No. 147816

i love kesa gatame. i can't seem to hold traditional side control worth a damn, but i'm managing to find success with using kesa as a pin as well as a position to seek submissions from.
sometimes if i'm having trouble finishing someone from mount, i'll transition to kesa once i get my crossface. please talk me out of doing this, i know it's a horrible habit.

>>147813
i thought grinding your elbows into thighs leaves you vulnerable to being off-balanced or triangled?

Anonymous No. 147817

>>147813
It caps out on success rate and trains bad habits.

Pain infliction without capacity for submission works, but not
>consistently in self defense scenarios
because oftentimes the person you're fighting is intoxicated or drugged, and their addled brain is literally not registering the pain you think you're causing, or a
>against trained, skilled, sufficiently pissed off, or disciplined opponents
who will happily ignore pain signals, because they don't care about pain anymore since they're used to it or distracted, or they know you're just wasting energy doing something that isn't actually progressing the fight.

Using physics and body mechanics properly works regardless of how much meth your opponent is on or how good your opponent is, pain only works sometimes. Its therefore better for you to learn how to do things right early and discourage others from using trick methods that don't scale, so you don't stall out in skill progression

Anonymous No. 147818

>>147813
what are you going to do when it doesn't work on someone?

Anonymous No. 147819

>>147816
But why would it? If you're sitting in the guard properly your hands are pressing the hips down so he cant buck you and if he opens his leg to shoot a triangle he did exactly what you wanted and opened his guard.
He shouldn't get anywhere near that triangle, the moment you feel the feet uncross you should be moving

Anonymous No. 147820

>>147817
>>147818
But if that's the case then just proceed as you would otherwise. There isn't any down side to giving a little dig and see if he responds to it before proceeding and it may save you all the trouble of trying to build your way out of it.

Consider it like this, electric chairs dont work on a lot of people, but when you do a deep half sweep you should always be giving a little flexibility check on the way over. It doesnt interfere with what you're trying to do but might give you a cheeky tap.

Anonymous No. 147821

>>147820
if you have a plan for it not working and don't care about inflicting pain, then proceed I say.

Anonymous No. 147822

>>147820
You can try it if you see an opening, but against top level players, meth-zombies, or pain-uncaring people, you're just giving them more time to establish grips, tug on you, knock you off balance, or strike at you, when the body mechanics method is going to work against all three.

Anonymous No. 147823

>>147813
There are more effective methods worth spending time on, and someone with a good closed guard will likely triangle you or elbow-pass and take your back. Yes, a lot of stuff will work on shitty white belts but you want to be good and beat higher belts, not shitty hobbyist white belts that never come to class.
You will not see this technique used at high levels of competition, which says a lot about a technique. Think about this when a fat brown belt shows you a bullshit move
>>147816
Nothing wrong with having a good kesa gatame, but it sure as hell should not be preferred over mount or side control (in most cases, at least).
I highly suggest learning a thorough mount and/or side control game (via Danaher or Lachlan), and doing positional rounds like this:
>start in mount or side control
>reset if there is a submission, sweep or escape
>switch top/bottom so you can work escapes too
This will make it easier to identify specific problems that will lead to better questions for your coach (or instructional material).

Anonymous No. 147833

>>147823
the best side control is not doing it
shit position, you should only go between half guard and mount. Side control has no value, all it does is free the persons legs so they can start escaping.

Anonymous No. 147834

>>147833
There's a difference between not learning side control and not prioritizing it.

Anonymous No. 147835

>>147834
its something to be actively avoided though. Has no place in the modern game, we only do it because it rewards points even though it compromises position.
going from full guard to mount, is like going from NY to california, with maybe a layover in chicago (half guard) along the way
going to side control is going from NY to florida then to california. Its' not just not on the way, its actively out of the way but we need to make the detour, stop there. 1,2,3 get our points, then go to texas (knee on belly) 1,2,3, get our points, and now we can continue on our journey to california. You know a position is bad when the first thing you do as soon as you get your points is try to get out of it as quickly as possible. It's a case of the competition leading the art and not the other way around, and it's worse for it.

another example is hooks. Everyone today agrees hooks are absolutely the worst possible way to try and control a back, nobody should ever be doing it on purpose and they stop working on anybody above a 3 stripe white belt. Post back mount, body triangle, single bottom hook. all of these are in every way superior, but they don't score points. So instead of going directly into strong back control we need to get our hooks, 1,2,3, ok now you can put your body triangle on. In the silly case of the single bottom hook which has a greater control than 2 hooks because of the angle and depth you can weave it in. You start with that one, give it up to put the worthless top hook in, get your points, and then withdraw it and move back to where you just were to keep the stronger back control.
bjj is broken yo

Anonymous No. 147839

3rd degree black belt here. Jesus christ there are some cancerous opinions in here. I remember why I stopped going to martial arts forums.

Anonymous No. 147842

>>147839
ok grandpa

Anonymous No. 147845

>>147835
>its something to be actively avoided though
you're wrong mr. white belt
>>147835
>we only do it because it rewards points even though it compromises position
Again, wrong. I watched the Craig Jones video too. I train at B-Team. Yes, side control is not the preferred position. But it has its uses and is definitely worth knowing. There will be situations where you get there and cannot get to mount/northsouth. It's retarded to only teach white belts fucking leg rides and fatigue techniques.
>points points points waaah
It's literally just a sport for the majority of people. Only in grappling do people get fixated on what is or isn't "allowed" despite being in the fucking ruleset. Submission should always be the goal, but if you're not racking up points you're retarded
>>147835
>hooks are absolutely the worst possible way to try and control a back, nobody should ever be doing it on purpose
Again, there is more to it than that. Hooks are extremely important for back retention.

>try to give white belt advice on improving side control
>retarded white belt derails discussion with misunderstood ideas
This is the worst board

Anonymous No. 147847

>>147845
Craig jones has ruined a whole generation of white belts that can't tell comedic exaggeration from gospel

Anonymous No. 147849

>>147845
>I train at B-Team
that's cringe as fuck
either you're lying or you're a cuck just paying the bills so the pros have a place to train

but your hooks comment tells me its more likely a lie because they absolutely are not important for back control
1 hook, that's it. The only circumstance when 2 hooks is useful is when you have them flattened out. If you're backpacking with 2 hooks in you're a white belt

Anonymous No. 147851

>>147849
2 hooks are a useful pitstop between a long hook (leading to a body triangle) or trapping an arm with a hook. Voluntarily going to 1 hook from two without advancing your control is dumb.

Image not available

2016x1512

20230523_181018_r....jpg

Anonymous No. 147855

Ahem

Fuck side control
Fuck hooks
Fuck guard pullers
Fuck butt scooters
Fuck lapel stallers
Fuck collar chokes
Fuck the gracies
Fuck white belts that buy shoyorolls
Fuck fake nattys
Fuck that Arab guy riding on GSPs coat tails
Fuck people that say you need to train in the gi to do mma

Also I apologize my marker was running out of ink

Anonymous No. 147858

I can't fucking train anymore for now because I've moved out back to my parents until I find another job
Is there ANYTHING I can do on my own to train grappling or am I fucked ?

Anonymous No. 147859

>>147855
>origin
How's the material flex and general fit in that?

Anonymous No. 147861

>>147855
>japanese black belt
Opinion discarded.

Anonymous No. 147865

>>147859
I'm in the minority but I actually don't like it. Maybe my body proportions are kind of weird because I always have a hard time finding gis that fit right but this one is particularly bad for me
the pro is it is incredibly light and feels like wearing a bed sheet but as far as flex mine is incredibly rigid. That's part of the problem I have with it. it says to order the same cut of the pants as you would with jeans, I wear a 34 comfortably and can barely squeeze into these pants. maybe they meant skinny jeans or maybe jocko doesn't do leg day. There's no stretch in the waist at all so maybe go one size up on the pants if you're more thickly built a 36 would've been better for me.

similar issue with the jacket, the cut just seems kind of strange to me, It's sorta loose up top despite my broad shoulders and tight around the middle. I could stand to lose a couple pounds so I wont fault them for the middle part but I brosplit in the gym 5x a week so I have a really broad upper body, I'm surprised I don't fill it out.

literally everyone else I know that has one absolutely loves them and I can see theirs fit perfectly. maybe it really is just my weird body.

Anonymous No. 147868

>>147849
>either you're lying or you're a cuck just paying the bills so the pros have a place to train
Well I live in Austin and I'm not poor, not exactly a unique position to be in. It's worth the money to me, lots of mat space and great training
A body triangle is ideal but not always an option. In transition, hooks can be really useful (also in turtle/4point situations. Great discussion retard

Anonymous No. 147871

>>147855
Why folk here think showing ownership of a Gi proves anything other than that? By the same logic if I post an OC image of an AR, I get to claim that I am a soldier. That's the same level of credibility you're clawing at. Doing it here of all places seems silly.

Anonymous No. 147873

>>147871
because a phony isn't going to have a gi in that price category
it's not a sanabul you pick up on amazon for $45

Anonymous No. 147875

>>147871
>folk
Yeesh

Image not available

2016x1512

20230523_192048_r....jpg

Anonymous No. 147878

>>147871
I got lots of gis, too many in fact
Strangely I dont have a blue one
And then I have about half that amount in nogi stuff
Can train every day for 2 weeks and never wear the same thing twice
My personal favorite brand I've used is inverted gear

Anybody have weird stuff to share?

Image not available

1000x1000

JustSaiyan.jpg

Anonymous No. 147890

>>147873
Think you might underestimate how much people want attention & how stupid people can be with their money. But you listen to whoever you want.
>>147875
Yeah, it's a synonym for people, its use was popular in the geographic area surrounding my place of birth. Why don't you share a linguistic affect local to where you were born so we can see what dumbass implications may be derived from it.

Anonymous No. 147909

>>147890
>Think you might underestimate how much people want attention & how stupid people can be with their money.
Hey, if they're willing to buy a shoyoroll to be a faggot online, I'll play along. Certain weaponised autismos just need that.

Anonymous No. 147933

>>147890
Mein volk no posting her faggot

Anonymous No. 147966

>>147813
Because it literally doesn’t break guard of anybody who isn’t your 15 year old gay lover classmate, it’s like saying ”Why not use Indian Burn as a submission?? I’m heckin’ here to kick ass and suck bubblecock not make frens” not realizing that’s a retarded move

Anonymous No. 147971

>>147966
Are Indian burns legal? Can do it when you 2 on 1 from seated

Anonymous No. 147994

New >>147993

Anonymous No. 147996

>>147994
But why? This thread wont get pruned for at least a month