Fundamentals
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa1F2ddGya_-UvuAqHAksYnB0qL9yWDO6
Donut
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjEaoINr3zgFX8ZsChQVQsuDSjEqdWMAD

Image not available

454x454

unsure2u.jpg

Anonymous No. 942487

Are paid courses actually worth the money or can I git gud on just free tutorials? Looking for ways to learn fast and I'm unsure with how far I'd get with YouTube shit.

Image not available

2349x2640

1681055026292033.jpg

Anonymous No. 942488

>>942472
not sure how any of you feel about "thick" bois or care about 3d shit in general but remember that tanjiro model that blackwhiplash was involved on?
https://smutba.se/project/33133/
i once made this headless version of him https://gofile.io/d/l1stG2 just so anyone can put in the head of a different character and i felt like making a version with allister's head
https://gofile.io/d/AUCIRj
the files in here are
>the model edit in question
>tanjiro's nude body: i tried setting the bones to fk, remove clothes and make the body nude
>allister's xps model, since i took it from deviantart and there is a blender model of allister that i somehow didn't get the textures to work because i'm a newfag
>the xnalara addon just in case you need to import the xps allister
the mask is stuck becaues it seems i joined all of allister's face assets, so if you can somehow remove this head and export the xps allister to redo his head, then maybe there's hope to get him faceless
to merge the face and body, i think i did this
>may have had to set the origin of allister's head to geometry
>select both body and face related models and join then
>then do that to the rigs
the order i wrote might be wrong
anyway, shout outs to blackwhiplash and any artist that gave allister and other shotas huge asses
PLEASE TELL ME IF THE MODEL OR OTHER FILES WORK
also source for pic related https://twitter.com/EonuneYeoul/status/1642911326329794560

Image not available

1611x904

1678477405973.jpg

Anonymous No. 942509

A bunch of big and small anime studios are coming together to work and share resources about making anime in Blender. They also have a conference planned but date is still TBD.
We (niche) industry standard now

Anonymous No. 942511

>>942488
Based whiplashbro, do you have a Twitter or anything I can follow for more 3d big butt shotas?

Anonymous No. 942512

>>942509
Imagine using blender to get away with paying your staff more lmao japs will put up with anything for the sake of their company.

Anonymous No. 942514

>>942487
Idk about paid courses, but if you're a complete beginner start with the free shit. My favorite method is to have something I want to make, and then just keep searching tutorials that give me the skill I need.

For context I still don't know how to use the cut tool, but I can competently make or kitbash digital figures for my TTRPGs.

Biggest advice is know what you want to make first.

Image not available

1280x720

maxresdefault (2).jpg

Anonymous No. 942524

>>942487
Lol no, I want to persuade you into saving that money and instead do the following:

>get an interview irc chat for cgpeers
>pay the strawberryman for download privileges on onlinecoursesclub
>make an account on bilibili, download pirated courses in 1080p using a chrome extension.

If you are able to get that far congratulations, you now have access to every single fucking course and software at your fingertips where 3d students pay an arm and leg just to learn 3d kek.

Image not available

354x320

Adv_BackGroundSpr....png

Anonymous No. 942530

>>942472
Could really use some advice, I'm out of my depth trying to model and texture a room. I have these wood support beams on the ceiling like pic related and I'm trying to give them a worn, damaged look. But no matter what I try when I shade smooth it looks like shit. Currently trying geometry nodes from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEbzU90OTjE

It looks pretty good but it creates a fuckload of ngons. I just want a simple cube with some chips and shit man. Any advice?

Image not available

1467x640

34an.jpg

Anonymous No. 942531

>>942530
example of flat vs smooth

Anonymous No. 942533

Hey, how do I make textures for my ps1 style retro horror game? Is there an AI that can do it? I don't wanna use normal maps just a bunch of textures.

Anonymous No. 942540

>>942487
>Are paid courses actually worth the money

Of course not.

Anonymous No. 942566

>>942511
no
but i'd like if someone spread the news of my flawed model edit of allister
more people need to know about this model edit, even if it means someone fixing it because i fucked up

Image not available

3440x1440

Screenshot (801).png

Anonymous No. 942570

Need help please.
Imported daz mesh to blender, there I unpack the textures. Convert to fbx.
In Substance Painter I add the fbx file. Add resources, some of the textures I've unpacked but they don't show up in SubstancePainter. I've dragged them as you can see in rightmost lower corner...

Anonymous No. 942591

>>942531
You can use the edge split modifier to selectively make certain edges smooth and others sharp, (either by angle or ctrl+e->mark sharp).
Maybe that could help get the look you want

Image not available

2884x687

Road.jpg

Anonymous No. 942608

Ayyy dudes, I've got a car doing long chaining drifts through a large scene (total distance the car travels is about 800 meters, with about 600 of that drifting), and I want to use a smoke sim for the tire smoke.
Only problem is because the road is long and the drifts are pretty continuous, the domain has to be fucking huge (I think), even though the smoke coming from the tires would cover a really small area relative to the rest of the scene, and travel through it. Adaptive domain is turned on, but I have to set the smoke resolution super high to get any kind of detail in the areas I want.

Any tips on handling this? I feel like I'm doing things wrong. It's kind of a project with a quick turnaround time, so dropping everything to learn Houdini from scratch is kinda out of the question.

Anonymous No. 942609

>>942608
I wouldn't bother with a smoke sim but if you have to you could try parenting the domain to the car (might be buggy) and using the dissolve setting

Anonymous No. 942610

>>942609
Normally I wouldn't bother either (since the sims are cancer), but my previous attempts using video planes just wasn't selling it well enough. That, and from the angle I'm shooting from (behind), you can see the 2d edges of the planes when the car snakes into the opposite direction.
I had thought about a moving domain, but I figured that you couldn't move a domain though a scene and have the smoke be affected by that movement, since the inflow object would still be technically in the same place relative to the domain object. I'll give it a go though, maybe I'm wrong.

Anonymous No. 942611

>>942609
>>942610
Yeah, moving domain worked how I expected. Emitting object isn't moving relative to the domain, so nothing happens and the smoke just stays where it is.

Anonymous No. 942617

>>942611
You could try adding a wind force to force the smoke to move

Anonymous No. 942697

Still on KCYCLES 3.3
Should I move to Blender 3.5?

Anonymous No. 942708

>>942472
Blender 3.5 doesn't have the shadow render pass anymore. Does anyone know what happened to it?

Anonymous No. 942724

>>942617
Still wouldn't do anything when the car drifts around a turn. It'd be in a straight line in the direction of the wind.

I've decided to just say fuck it for the smoke sim. Just gonna use particles. Use some metaballs, throw on a volumetric material, and just use that. Added benefit is I can see how shit looks in real time, so I can use some nice force fields to make it swirl and shit with the tires.
I don't know why I didn't think about it in the first place, since it's kinda obvious, but I guess I just wasn't in the right state of mind at the time. Thinking "it's smoke, I HAVE to use smoke".

Image not available

640x640

beddybed.png

Anonymous No. 942771

>>942472
how do i make wrinkles on the sheet like in the picture? all i can do is drapes

Anonymous No. 942780

>>942708

>The shadow render pass was removed, as its design was incompatible with the light tree. In many case shadow catcher passes can be used instead.

https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Reference/Release_Notes/3.5/Cycles

Image not available

435x430

how.png

Anonymous No. 942803

>>942472
For the love of God, someone please tell me how the fuck does geometry work in Blender.
How is possible that the chair on top only measures 1.3 m in length (Y) when clearly is almost as long as the brick on the bottom, which measures 2 m???

Image not available

778x674

donut.png

Anonymous No. 942817

Hey guys! I just made this donut : )
I don't know how to render, so here's a screenshot.

the chair nerd No. 942819

>>942817
Give me some sprinkles!

Anonymous No. 942842

>>942803
You have to Apply transformations, scale in this case i guess:

CTRL+A

These options are also available in Object->Apply.

Image not available

500x500

1e3dcbdad6d99e703....gif

Anonymous No. 942843

I saved a thing as .blend file like 2 days ago and now after opening it all my XYZ values, for position and scale are fucking 0. How do I fix this and why is Blender such a shit fucking program.

Anonymous No. 942903

I've never animated in Blender before. In the viewport, am I supposed to be getting 8 fps in the solid view when doing a simple transformation of my character, with no modifiers, textures or anything else in the scene? It seems kind of bad for a high end GPU and CPU. I can't imagine actually working like this.

Anonymous No. 942904

>>942903
That's a known regression that happened at version 2.8 and up.

Anonymous No. 942906

>>942904
I guess it's time to bring Agent 327 out of retirement.

Anonymous No. 942907

>>942903
This shouldn't happen unless your mesh is super dense, but it does sometimes seem to randomly do it even with optimized meshes. When this happens I usually start a new, clean blender file and copy/paste the armature and character into it which fixes it.

Anonymous No. 942937

>>942907
Amazing. Just. Quality software.

Image not available

408x387

Capture2.jpg

Anonymous No. 942943

hi! i'm new to blender and can't find what the point of having duplicates of objects in the outliner is. There's a camera child of a camera object and same with light, cube etc. What is the high level purpose of this? I don't get it. The property options and contexts don't seem to change depending on whether you click the child or parent.

Anonymous No. 942945

>>942943
Because that's how the data is organized internally. As you point out, It makes no sense to show that to the user, but then again many are still trying to figure out what's the point of using Blender at all and nobody seems to have a clear answer to that question either.

Anonymous No. 942947

>>942943
I'd like to give you a proper answer instead of a faggoty passive-aggressive one like >>942945 has given you.
He's correct in saying that's how the data is organized internally, and you don't need to worry about it, but he hasn't really explained it in a way that answers your question.

Basically, for every object in Blender you have an associated data block (actually, nearly everything in Blender has a datablock). It's not really a child-parent relationship, but something else.
Using your cube as example, the yellow triangle is the object, and the green one is the mesh data. Think of the yellow one as a container, and the green one describing what's in that container. When you go into edit mode for a mesh, you're not manipulating the object, but the mesh data. The object is more or less a reference to it's XYZ location, rotation, scale, and any other properties applied to it. The mesh data is where your cube actually is. So if you had multiple objects, you can share that same mesh data with those objects and when you change one you change all of them.
This is how alt+d functions, it's a linked duplication. Shift+D makes an entirely new object with new mesh data, while alt+D makes a new object but shares the mesh data from the previous duplicate. When you edit one of them, those changes are shared throughout all of the objects with the same mesh data.

The same thing is true for other things like the camera and lights. Though the green icon isn't its mesh data, but rather its settings. So you could have multiple camera objects littered throughout the scene, but you can use 1 single camera datablock to have them share the same settings. Same with lights. Materials and Particle systems also work in a similar way. Where an object can have multiple materials/particle systems in a slot, and you choose the data you put in those slots. That data can be shared between multiple objects and change in all of them when you edit them.

Anonymous No. 942949

>>942907
You're thinking of a different problem, using my 5 year old install like the other guy said fixed my problem.

Anonymous No. 942964

>>942947
data blocks! thankyou very fucking much! you've been able to explain what chatgpt couldn't

Anonymous No. 943002

>>942964
No problem.
>what chatgpt couldn't
Do people really ask chat bots questions like they actually have factual information? I've not fucked with chatgpt, but shit like that seems a good ways off to being able to answer questions like that.

Anonymous No. 943040

>>943002
i'm also learning unreal and finding chatgpt super helpful at explaining higher level stuff that people don't really cover in tuts, the info would be out there online but it'd take me ages to find it. Questions like "what is the point of casting in unreal engine at all? why can't i just access the information from all blueprints all the time?" novice question, but people don't really talk about that shit. that question was answered in an unreal livestream on blueprints 4 years ago but you have to sit there watching 3 hours of yt to get to it. Also things like "explain the difference between enumerators and structs, when and why would i use one rather than the other and give examples", it's been really helpful. Chatgpt is totally overhyped but I find it makes research faster (though not always correct) it points you in the right direction. It's like im sitting next to an unreal dev and I can just ask "what is even the point of this? why is it done in this way?"

Anonymous No. 943041

>finally learn how to model well
>finally learn how to texture well
>not even 5% learned enough to do anything
fuck man I miss drawing

Anonymous No. 943053

>>943041
What are you talking about? That's more like 25% if you're wanting to 1-man army animation, and 80% if literally all you want to do is make pretty pictures. The last 20% being lighting and composition.

Image not available

2830x1626

cato.jpg

Anonymous No. 943054

>>942947
Thanks anon, Alt+D example was especially useful! (I wasn't even aware of that functionality vs the "regular" Shift+D).
I can probably use it for the symmetric eyes and tentacles of my Displacer Cat here.

Anonymous No. 943055

My youtube and tiktok feed are nothing but blender tutorials since i started learning and it's overwhelming and frustrating as fuck. I can't focus on what i should learn and improve first

Anonymous No. 943111

>>943053
Yeah I'd like to animate but with drawing, you can at least finish a piece in an hour or a few, even if it sucks or doesn't come out great, you have something to show for your time. With 3D I had to learn how to model something, which took months of making donuts and anvils and shit, then more months of understanding the 400 shader nodes and UV skills, now I have to learn how to rig and weight paint and sliders and vertex groups and this and that and the other and then I have to do all that work again for the other characters, and then I need to do all that work for scenery/background/objects, like all I want to do is animate some characters I made in some places and what I'm saying is I'm probably still 3+ months off from being able to do that. And it'll probably look like shit too. Whereas with drawing you can just draw the characters and a room.

I know there's pros and cons for 2d and 3d each, I'm not saying I give up I'm just saying it's fucking overwhelming at times to just be retopoing something and knowing there's still an utter fuckload of things to do, lots of which I have yet to learn

Anonymous No. 943119

>>943111
You can see it on this board. Blender users produce very little to nothing and when they do it's some dubious figurine which will never get animated because the animation system is severely hosed.
If you have any talent, don't waste it in Blender. Look around and pick the right tool for you. The right tool for you is not Blender.

Anonymous No. 943127

If someone made a shader in blender and claims it open source but also dictates rules about the material shader and that it cant be used for commercial use then doesn't that mean its not really open source? Also doesn't that not work considering that the shader uses no unique code and just the basic nodes within blender?

Anonymous No. 943131

>>943119
Why are you still here?
You're just as much an example as the people you bitch about. No one takes you seriously, you know that, right?

Image not available

1144x698

CutterFuckingWith....png

Anonymous No. 943133

So, whenever I add a 4th cutter into the object, the shit on the left happens and when I delete that cutter, the object goes back to normal. Would any know a solution? I've tried the solidify modifier, and it does nothing for the final model that goes into the slicer I'm using. I need it to go away for 3D printing purposes.

Anonymous No. 943134

>>943131
You speak for yourself. Does it bother you that I'm trying to deflect people from your cult?

Anonymous No. 943135

And I have some questions:
why does Blender freeze for up to a minute every time I touch a material property?
why are the colors so off and desaturated? why are gamma white balance completely off?
do transparency, emission, even basic lighting that used to work in Blender 2.7 even work at all in Blender2.8?
and the list goes on but most importantly: why a young talent should ruin its future because of your incompetence?

Anonymous No. 943137

>>943054
Nice shapes

Anonymous No. 943140

>>942487
not worth your money OR your time. I have seen people regurgitate the same shit in paid courses that you get for free on youtube, heck youtube videos sometimes are even better, clear cut and concise depending on what you want. Paid courses are just trying to make a quick buck by slapping a price tag on that shit.

Anonymous No. 943141

>>942843
that happens when you apply your positions, scales, rotations, etc.
blender is just different from the other things i have used but not really shit if you know how to make it work for you (just like maya, max and zbrush)

Anonymous No. 943163

>>943134
No, I'm not part of any cult. The program is a means to an end, and any kind of brand loyalty is fucking retarded.
What bothers me is your half assed information that wastes people's time. If you're gonna try to answer someone's question, fucking answer it. Don't be a little passive aggressive bitch because you couldn't rub the two braincells you have together to learn any 3d program.

Anonymous No. 943174

>>943163
Do I have to tell an artist that the scene tree has double indirections for the purpose of making multiple instancing possible?
But if a data block has not been referenced multiple times, then it has no overlap with the transform node and so they can be represented as a aggregate.
Is that what you want me to attempt to explain to an artist?

Image not available

345x282

outliner.jpg

Anonymous No. 943178

But I hear you say: maybe their intent is to just represent the data as it is. But even then...

The problem is that "Cube" with a colored icon and "Cube" with the grayed out icon are of two different data types. One is a leaf, one isn't. And you know what? That's not even how data is organized internally. It's just that the representation is an arbitrary mess no matter how you look at it.

Why has this survived 20 years of review? Because when they get challenged the Blender people act like we angered the gods. And so for our insolence we all get to live with it.

It's the same story as for the "Hide 3D cursor" button I was telling in another thread.

Anonymous No. 943180

>>943178
>And so for our insolence we all get to live with it.
No, you can easily code changes for both if it bothers you that much. You won't, so you have to live with it. You'll keep posting this garbage instead.

Anonymous No. 943184

>>943180
I can code any change I want for myself. In fact in some cases I've already done so. You have to live with it.

Anonymous No. 943188

Sup /3/

Retard here
How do I formulate this and what do I read/watch on the following: how to properly pose a character and make a character "react" to the environent, so it doesn't look like it's just floating? I.e., I want a bitch to sit on the floor, I pose the sitting pose and place her on the floor, but her ass cheeks just clip through the floor surface, and it doesn't look as if she is sitting (butt cheeks not deformed, weight not applied, etc), but instead she's just floating unrealistically in space. So now that I made myself clear, how do I formulate the question properly to read/watch tutorials on the matter?

Anonymous No. 943196

>>943188
The easiest way is to just sculpt the posed mesh into a shape key and animate that.
You can do complicated stuff like soft body simulation, cloth simulation with vertex weights and internal springs, shrinkwrap vertex groups and laplacian deform or even geometry nodes.
All of them have issues and take more time and effort.
So again, what everybody does is just custom shape keys.

Another thing just don't show it, the trick with 3Dcg animation is leaving something to the imagination. And finally 90% just don't bother.
You may see it but your consoomers likely won't.

Anonymous No. 943198

>>943174
>>943178
That's certainly better, yes. It's purposefully obtuse to make yourself seem smart and to make it "harder" for someone to gain information from it, but it's better than "because that's how it is and there's no point in asking because I hate Blender".
You can help someone and complain at the same time. They're not mutually exclusive.

Anonymous No. 943199

>>943196
I see, thanks.

Anonymous No. 943204

>>942472
hey, got a question, did blender ever implement the improved sculpting stuff yet? I just moved to windows 10, the last blender update I got was the first release post the dropping of win 7 support (someone recompiled with what made it not work on 7 removed)

I remember them showing off a model that could be fluidly worked on with 5-20 million pollies when 1 million on the old version would cause it to chug, I haven't really kept up with it since and don't know if any of it was implemented, im also mid bullshit at the moment so really testing it out could take a month+

Anonymous No. 943208

>>943184
>I can code any change I want for myself.
>we all have to live with it
>It's the same story as for the "Hide 3D cursor" button I was telling in another thread.
cry more

Anonymous No. 943216

Why the fuck does the object gizmo transform orientation effect move and transform but not rotate and scale gizmos in edit mode?

Anonymous No. 943217

Whoever thought of designing the 3d cursor in a way that makes transforming components take 100 clicks to snap and orient is a retard. I can literally do all that in Maya and Zbrush within 2 clicks LMAoooo

Anonymous No. 943220

>>943217
The only people taking 100 clicks to snap and orient is a retard. So it sounds like you're the retard here.
If you're doing it right, you don't even click at all. shift+s and move the mouse to the pie menu option. Only ones you're really going to use is cursor to selection (down), and selection to cursor (up).
Changing pivot point works the same way by pressing period. Though that button is a bit out of the way. Perfect button to map to an extra mouse button if you have it though.

Anonymous No. 943238

>>943220
>If you're doing it right
It's always the user's fault.

Image not available

630x630

1680116239374528.jpg

Anonymous No. 943246

>>943238
>It's always the user's fault.

Anonymous No. 943252

I want two 3D cursors and I'm not even joking.

Anonymous No. 943258

>>943252
what for

Anonymous No. 943259

>>942472
Retard here.
How to extract Blender Baked texture ???
Blender Texturing is too retarded as fuck
What the fuck is this Nodeshit

Image not available

3161x2077

955d2e7502b128ca6....jpg

Anonymous No. 943260

>>943259
I mean..... Who the fuck think this is a GOOD idea ???????????

Anonymous No. 943264

>>943260
Geometry Nodes are the Guitar Hero of programming.

Anonymous No. 943266

>>943220
Still exceeds 2 clicks. Not my fault nigger.

Image not available

403x301

hide_3d_cursor.jpg

Anonymous No. 943267

>>943208
Let's see...

Question: Who put that useful checkbox right there where it belongs?
Answer: Me.

Queston: Who doesn't have it?
Answer: You.

>cry more
be more envious

Image not available

1433x1008

screen.png

Anonymous No. 943268

>>943260
Yes, it is shit, ideally you should be able to select the texture you are baking in from the bake menu.
You could try to contact @brecht
https://blender.chat/channel/render-cycles-module
https://devtalk.blender.org/c/cycles/7

Anonymous No. 943269

>>943268
I tried that but the result is low poly texture. The model i trying to port got hi res texture in the viewport. Probably because of those Node thingy and its kinda too complicated to understand it

Anonymous No. 943286

>>942472
I'm doing the donut tutorial and I got to Geometry nodes and I'm thinking of quitting because fuck this shit, is Blender just complicated to filter people out or is there a reason as to why everything is unnecessarily complex? Seems like it works whenever it feels like, or they change shit each update (meaning tutorials are out of date) or one tiny mistake can make you lose hours of work

Anonymous No. 943288

>>943266
No it doesn't.
Again, you don't click at all. You press a button on your keyboard and move your mouse. I doubt you can get away with pressing nothing in Max/Maya moving your mouse and moving its nonexistient 3d cursor.
If you're that bad at counting, I think doing even that action is beyond you. It might be time to find a different hobby/career path, because you lack the mental capacity for it and 3d just isn't working for you.

>>943267
You put a checkbox on obsolete software that only salty sticklers still use.
Good for you. Everyone else already has the ability to hide it, but keep patting yourself on the back for coding in a simple checkbox that anyone with a day's worth of python knowledge could do.

Anonymous No. 943298

>>943288
>Everyone else already has the ability to hide it
If they can find the correct checkbox hidden into the layers panel that you can access from a button hidden somewhere in the middle of a toolbar.

Anonymous No. 943299

>>943288
D click face D. Gizmo snaps and orients to the normal in Maya. You canโ€™t do that in blender whatever you say is full of shit.

Anonymous No. 943301

>>943286
https://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.79/

Anonymous No. 943336

>>943267
>Who put that useful checkbox
It took you two days to add a checkbox to solve a problem only gimps have. I'm sorry, Cris, but I'm not impressed. It is kind of funny, though.

Image not available

189x329

file.png

Anonymous No. 943350

>>942472
Anons I'm trying to learn some good ol UVs but I can't find the Live Unwrap option in the viewport.
Did they move it somewhere else?

Anonymous No. 943351

>>943350
Forget it, found it
Why did they move it there?

Anonymous No. 943356

Pencil+ for Blender has been released
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h0pRV_4hwU

Anonymous No. 943373

>>943356
>$500 standalone license
guess im sticking with lineart modifier and inverse hull method

Image not available

1458x760

1674042440956.png

Anonymous No. 943376

>>943356
Khara presentation right now, there's a cool chicken live translating in the chat if you're into that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d34_baCkJc

Image not available

1920x1022

CHARACTER_NEW.png

Anonymous No. 943425

It's very cool that Fred "FoxInSpace" shared this blend file. I'm pretty good at Blender, but suck at the 2D stuff like this. I've practically never used Grease Pencil before and it's crazy to see what you can do with it.

Anonymous No. 943447

>>943373
If you are not japanese why bother. Only japanese are allowed to create workflows that benefit them. Everyone else has to suffer from wannabe 3d hobbyist whose only outlet for learning is youtube

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 943455

>>943131
because zbrush just looks too easy, I know a complete retard who flunked out of highschool and can't even hold a job at a grocery store but he's in university for 3d using zbrush and making ultra high def dragons and shit. It just seems like the program does all the work for you and as a result everything made from zbrush looks like it was made from the same person. With blender, yeah the sculpting and animation tools are pretty shit but at least I learn things and get better. With other programs you're just instantly good.

Anonymous No. 943457

>>943119
because zbrush just looks too easy, I know a complete retard who flunked out of highschool and can't even hold a job at a grocery store but he's in university for 3d using zbrush and making ultra high def dragons and shit. It just seems like the program does all the work for you and as a result everything made from zbrush looks like it was made from the same person. With blender, yeah the sculpting and animation tools are pretty shit but at least I learn things and get better. With other programs you're just instantly good.

Anonymous No. 943483

>>943457
Then why not animate in fucking Matlab for extra difficulty and learning, you retard

Anonymous No. 943487

>>943457
shut up

Image not available

798x644

b27.jpg

Anonymous No. 943491

I love Blender and usually disagree with a lot of the shit it gets, but
>try to keyframe a simple local axis rotation
>you can't
...What the fuck?

Anonymous No. 943504

>>943491
How are you unable to rotate an object?

Anonymous No. 943516

>>942488
update, the models are gone now
if anyone backed it up, feel free to share or even fix the model's problems such as
>cannot remove mask
>skin of the body is different from allister's
>head does not move when posing the body

Anonymous No. 943525

>>943504
How are you unable to read?
>keyframe a simple local axis rotation
Keying a rotation on the local axis of an object doesn't work in Blender.

Anonymous No. 943550

>>943491
you have to do it through constraints i think unfortunately

Image not available

1440x720

rotation keyframe.webm

Anonymous No. 943560

>>943491
>>943525
I don't think that local axis rotation is a "real" thing when keyframing in Euler. It's a visual transformation for convenience, it's not represented by its own XYZ coordinates. It's fucking dumb and wish you could keyframe local rotations in Euler, but I understand why it doesn't work. Local rotation keyframes work fine in Quarternion though.

If you're dead-set on Euler though, depending on what it is and what you're trying to do, it might be worth making the object a child of an empty and doing it that way. It turns the normal XYZ into local based on how the parent object is rotated. Really, you should be having some kind of control object when animating anyway, and not just animating the object itself, since it keeps things a bit more organized.

Left is using the empty to fake local coordinates in Euler, right is using local rotations as normal in Quarternions.

Anonymous No. 943596

>>942472
What are some good add-ons for archviz? I really want to dive in.

Anonymous No. 943601

Is there a way to change the color of a smoke sim over time? I want it to be one color as its being emitted, and then change to another one as it fades out.
A gradient texture won't work as the smoke changes axes.
Using the density attribute kinda works, but it's not really "right".

Image not available

640x480

94C65B53-F893-458....jpg

Anonymous No. 943636

Hey I learned Blender like a year ago. The basicsof modeling and the use of a few modeling addons.
I want to get back to it but now I want to learn the whole workflow for making game assets (Never did a single thing related to UVs and textures and materials).
So first, do you have a course/tutorial for gamedevs that you can recommend me (meaning that the instructor actually shares good tips on 3d aimed at gamedeving)
And can you guys share addons for UVs and texturing or can you tell me if I should even use Blender for that to begin with.
I use a shit ton of softwares so I donโ€™t mind adding one or two to the list

Anonymous No. 943637

>>943596
Get some actual archvis software. Blender is awful for general hard surface, let alone CAD work.

Image not available

1001x807

Untitled.png

Anonymous No. 943660

How do I weight paint this hip joint guys? Or how do I change it to make it work?

Anonymous No. 943672

>>943636
Watch Outgang's YouTube video about UV Unwrapping.

Image not available

298x144

file.png

Anonymous No. 943674

is this normal that in sculp mode dyntopo is making blender run faster? im using it on 100k poly mesh and it makes a huge difference
blender 2.92 btw

Anonymous No. 943678

i hate ngons so much

Anonymous No. 943692

>some faces are disappearing when i create a new material
what kind of retarded bug is this??

Anonymous No. 943696

>>943692
who are you quoting

Anonymous No. 943742

>>943692
try recalculating normals and switching to shade flat/smooth a couple times

Anonymous No. 943749

>>943660
A lot of people add hip bones (pelvis->hips) so that the auto weights will give a sense of solidity to the hip area

Anonymous No. 943765

>>943749
this, a good practice

Anonymous No. 943766

>>943660
the pivot point of rotation of the legs is wrong

Anonymous No. 943775

>>943660
paint the entire hpb bone area, then add a little more to that, then weigh the thighs, there is supposed to be overlap

Image not available

741x820

Main Palace.png

Anonymous No. 943828

>>942472
How do I solidify something like this without completely fucking up the geometry?
(p.s.: disregard those greenish spikes near the top, that's another object)

Image not available

983x607

solidify.png

Anonymous No. 943831

>>943828
P.S.: that's what I mean

Anonymous No. 943841

>>943831
I don't think there's any way to do that correctly and automatically in Blender.
There is specialized software that can take into account material shrinkage for castings. Can be expensive.

Image not available

983x576

1678739469691557.png

Anonymous No. 943856

why is the shading kinda fucked after exporting?
its not UV texturing that's fine its just the shading of the windows 3D viewer

Image not available

954x1024

1682086287640879.webm

Anonymous No. 943874

Are there good tutorials how to create low-poly high detail models like this?
Or: https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/1000410/ss_0d391dd950df0f2b7cfe05121771e5a7647c61f6.1920x1080.jpg

Anonymous No. 943889

>>943841
Anon... I was talking about the 3d model's geometry. That is for a videogame

Anonymous No. 943910

>>943874
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjiwRIE21UA

Anonymous No. 943928

>>943674
ok i figured it out myself. dyntopo fucks up mirror mod which fucks up sculpting

Anonymous No. 943929

>>943831
weight painting

Anonymous No. 943938

>>943831
Make sure you're solidifying in the correct direction first, and like >>943929 says, weight painting.
Solidify works by pushing faces in the direction of (or away from) the normals. It doesn't make any assumptions about where they intersect.
There's a clamping option in the modifier that should help mitigate things somewhat. You'll have to play around with it though.
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/modifiers/generate/solidify.html#thickness-clamp

Anonymous No. 943976

>>943910
Thanks, are there more? The guys on the video projects textures, but how do I paint them?

Image not available

495x494

3932.jpg

Anonymous No. 943980

Why is my viewport camera orbiting in weird ways all of a sudden? Previously you could press , on numpad and it would focus the camera on your selected thing and after that the camera orbited around that. Now the orbit point seems to drift off over time and 20 seconds later I need to press , again. Did they change something in a patch? How do I make it work like it has always worked?

Anonymous No. 943981

>>943976
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEeb8Qhe-fw&list=PL5254wVvvPeaCjulsrovknRgHlV-I4UYh

Anonymous No. 943984

>>943929
>>943938
I don't get it, how is weight painting gonna help me?

Image not available

1380x479

Screenshot 2023-0....png

Anonymous No. 943985

>>943984
P.S. wait, maybe I found a solution:
with "Merge Threshold" to the max there seem to be no problems now

Anonymous No. 943987

I can't believe I'm still learning this piece of shit of a program. It's like there's a thousand things wrong with it but I have no alternative since I've already put the time in. Trying to create anything with precision is better done in a CAD program, as Blenders "precision tools" are full of bugs (Recently got an epic one where measurement units changed from Imperial to Metric at a certain point when I slid a vertex down an edge). Even things like knife not automatically being applied to faces on a beveled surface in between two points (Because fuck you faggot) resulting in 5 times the amount of actions needed.

Why is there no context for feature accessibility? I don't need animation features taking up key binds when I'm in object/edit mode actually working on a mesh or texturing, why couldn't there be an option for all of this shit to be separated? Want to jerk off? Shift+ctrl+5+numpad del?

Was this entire program designed by retards just to cater for reddit fags to post their lazy 3d pixel art for updoots then defend all criticism because it worked for them?

Actually working on something that takes effort and this is so infuriating, it's like the UI layout was designed by 100 different people, there are some things this program does pretty well, but it's a nightmare for a particular type of 3D modeling.

Anonymous No. 944002

>>943987

lol sounds like you're too dumb for any of the paid programs anyway

Anonymous No. 944003

>>944002
Paid programs? That sounds great. I can really raise a family and buy a those with those.

Anonymous No. 944006

>>944003
Nta but I can vouch for how very dumb you are. Autodesk never stopped providing free education licenses to faggots like you but you don't seem to be interested in finding out how to do it. Keep on complaining and not do anything about it. No wonder people end up in jail, do drugs, fail in school or just end up dead somewhere in a fucking barrel full of formaldehyde.

Anonymous No. 944019

When modeling an object, how do i know when it's better to create a new mesh when making a certain part of it? for example the handle of a shield, should i model it from the shield mesh i already have or create a new one for the handle?

Anonymous No. 944020

>>944019
For me, the general rule of thumb, is if it's a separate part irl, it should be separate on the model.
Let's take a car for instance, you could model all the body panels as one contiguous mesh, but it'd be a better idea to model them separately how they'd be made in real life. It makes things easier to manage in the long run.
For your shield, if the handle is part of it that comes out of the metal like it was cast or something, make it come from the shield mesh, but if it's like a leather strap or something riveted to the back, I'd model it separate.
Little things like screws, nuts and bolts though, are up to you. Since you can either texture those on, use decals, or just use actual 3d models.

Image not available

924x1080

blender_sNqtzOsRhm.webm

Anonymous No. 944025

i make anime girls in blender and then get paid

Anonymous No. 944026

>>944025
What did you do to git gud? I'm about to hit the 100 hour mark and I'm embarrassed at my work.

Anonymous No. 944028

I'm following the donut tutorial, trying to swap to wireframe view after solidifying my duplicated frosting layer crashes blender. There's no question how to solve this, just wanted to share this fact with you all.

Image not available

513x213

steam_wEHoQBtKfN.png

Anonymous No. 944029

>>944026
stayed on the grind, referenced people that are better than me.

Anonymous No. 944030

>>944025
Only blendfags go out of their way to prove they are vastly inferior to artists who use paid software. You don't see paid software users bragging about making money with maya/max zbrush. Fucking blendfags need to die. I would've taken you more seriously if you used moonrunes instead of english. YOu just gave away you are not japanese europoor earning a measly 10$ in your home currency. pls kys. Also nice aniem girl btw.

Anonymous No. 944035

>>944030
what the hell are you talking about? I just got here bro I just wanted to share my art

Image not available

2605x905

Before-after.jpg

Anonymous No. 944044

Can someone explain to me what the fuck Blender's problem is?
I had a smoke sim working perfectly fine (above), and when I went to bake it at a higher res, I get something similar to what's below. Faggoty-ass solid object, absolutely no dynamics whatsoever, and noise is doing fucking nothing.
But here's the fucking kicker.
Now, when I re-bake the sim with the previous settings that worked before, as in going back to a previous version of the file before I made any changes to re-bake it, I get the same fucking trash as what happened when I tried baking at a higher res (below).
Not a single value has changed but now the result is awful and I can't get anything different to bake. Even after importing only the domains and necessary objects into a fresh file.
Someone please tell me they know how to fix this shit. I'm usually a calm person, but this shit is really starting to infuriate me.

>inb4 learn houdini lol
This is a project that's 99% complete, and I was going to render it today, but I figured I'd ramp up the detail on the smoke a bit, and got fucked in the ass.
Dropping everything to learn Houdini for a project that has to be finished in the next few days (i.e. the days I allotted to render it), is kind of out of the question.
For what it's worth, doing quick smoke on a cube seems to work just fine on a new file, and the one where shit's fucking up, so it's not my GPU dying at least.

Anonymous No. 944057

>>944025
Cute, although I'm not a big fan of the nostrils, the black dots are a bit distracting.
How did you do the irises? Is it just a concave mesh or do you fake the normals?

Image not available

527x529

mckenna-kindred.png

Anonymous No. 944060

>Newfag to 3d models here
How would I stick text to a point on a 3d model like how google earth does it?

Anonymous No. 944061

>>944026
>only 100
>>944035
>just got here
just randomly visited /3/ for the first time and accidently dropped preview of your(unoriginal) anime girl?

Anonymous No. 944064

>>944025
How do you get paid and what do you get paid for exactly?

Image not available

282x263

Sip.jpg

Anonymous No. 944071

>>944030
Your crab mentality is showing, anon.

Image not available

640x480

0001-0250.webm

Anonymous No. 944072

Has anybody around here experimented with the Mixamo plug-in for Blender? I've never used it before but it looks nice to me. And, unlike Rigify, actually usable.

It look like as long as I use the Mixamo skeleton, I could swap out the mesh and still have the control rig without using the online service. Am I right? I haven't tried yet.

Anonymous No. 944074

>>944072
YOU ARE A _______ IDIOT DUDE. YOU HAVE THE WRONG VERSOIN OF BLENDER INSTALLED

Anonymous No. 944075

>>944074
It's Bforartists in >>944072 actually. Try it. It's somewhat better than Blender.

Anonymous No. 944076

>>944075
THATS FUCKING REATRDED BRO I LOVE BLENDER!!!

Anonymous No. 944085

>>944061
Not the first time, but it's been at least like 4 months since I last posted here.

>>944057
thanks! I'm a bit uncertain about the nostrils myself, i'll probably ditch them. The eyes are a concave sphere with a refractive layer over them.

>>944064
I make VRChat avatars, and sometimes porn models.

Image not available

1343x973

1660099388442.png

Anonymous No. 944092

Every day I am thankful for the existence of GeoNodes.
Look at this. So simple, so elegant, and so many hours of work eliminated.

>>944085
>I'm a bit uncertain about the nostrils myself
Have you tried shading them with a slightly blurry brush and a slightly darker skin tone instead of pure black?

Anonymous No. 944096

>>944025
I don't want to be that guy, but that's not anime, that's just stylized. It's closer to an Overwatch or a Pixar character than to anime. Start using anime eyes and shaders, otherwise stop saying that you make anime, because this ain't it.

Anonymous No. 944098

>>944092
>Look at this.
horrible, try this instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2odLe2ky7Q0

Image not available

819x792

blender_TxQ1yhluRE.png

Anonymous No. 944100

>>944096
my reference was an anime girl, I modeled the anime girl.

Even if you take a viewport screenshot of an anime character model, it's still an anime character design. Even if you give an anime character design somewhat realistic proportions and art direction, it's still an anime character. Shading and "anime eyes" don't have any significance to what the style is at all.

>>944092
I could try that. I haven't really experimented much with doing shading directly in my texturework aside from when im baking for a game engine, but it's worth a try.

Anonymous No. 944102

>>944098
That's very limited

Image not available

429x781

1587782734711.png

Anonymous No. 944105

More devtalk autism
https://devtalk.blender.org/t/please-dont-remove-branched-path-tracing/20619/67

>please don't remove BPT, my light source is actually a 3d modelled sun ball that i put into space and it fucks regular path tracing

Anonymous No. 944113

>>944100
Do you use zbrush to sculpt ?

Anonymous No. 944121

>>944072
>rigify only does 95% of the work for me instead of mixamo which does 99%, literally unusable!!
you people would not have survived not even 5 years ago
>>944096
no one cares about your arbitrary made up categorization system

Anonymous No. 944123

>>944113
nah, I use blender. I know zbrush, but I only learned it cus it looks nice on my resume. I feel the most comfortable with blender.

Anonymous No. 944128

>>944121
Not that anon, but Rigify's rigs are way more than you need 90% of the time and are needlesly complicated to do simple things.
You're trading ease of use for complexity but not really gaining anything in the long run.

Granted, I just make my own complicated rigs that do the same things, but at least they're organized and aren't visual vomit.

Anonymous No. 944130

>>944128
>more than you need 90% of the time and are needlesly complicated to do simple things
what, like faces and fingers? literally lop off what you dont need in edit mode and it handles it for you, its idiot-proof
>Granted, I just make my own complicated rigs that do the same things, but at least they're organized and aren't visual vomit.
so hide the ik/fk/tweak layers in the fischer-price tier simple rollout menu on the N panel and only unhide what you actually use

Anonymous No. 944138

>>944121
https://substance3d.adobe.com/plugins/mixamo-in-blender/
It's cool. I recommend it and I wonder why they keep it somewhat hidden. Download it and any example model from
https://www.mixamo.com/
After that you can even swap out meshes with your own without the online service.
Fuck Rigify and fuck you >>944121

Anonymous No. 944157

>>944002
Are the paid ones as buggy as Blender?

Anonymous No. 944227

>>944138
>replies to the same post twice
nvm bro you actually do need that extra 4% of retardproofing, carry on

Anonymous No. 944228

>>944227
Already started without your permission >>944203

Anonymous No. 944235

>>942472
Anyone has good Animation tutorials? I finished Rigging my Model but most animation videos i found weren't that good

Image not available

1590x2445

file.png

Anonymous No. 944236

anyone have any good resources for recreating marker-outlined watercolor looks with grease pencil or materials? im trying to recreate something akin to pic related, but the only way i can imagine doing it convincingly is by drawing with grease pencil over every frame.

Image not available

176x286

Pol-Pot.jpg

Anonymous No. 944248

>>942472
How would I make an object visible through all other objects, but then go invisible when it is obsucred by the object it is attached to? I mean something similar to the labels on google earth.

Anonymous No. 944267

>>944235
Pierrick Picaut's youtube channel should give you some strong foundations but all of the really good stuff is in his paid animation course.

Anonymous No. 944275

>>944248
Render layers.
Have your words on one layer with the pin set as a holdout, and your scene on another.
When you render, since the words have the pin as a holdout layer, when the pin occludes the words, it'll treat it as alpha, and you can composite the words over the scene with an alpha over node, and the words will be on top no matter what.
I'm not going to spoonfeed you the entire process, if you know what you're doing this should be plenty, and if you don't this is enough to start searching.

Anonymous No. 944281

>using blender
>model and rig character
>model hair with a different armature
How do I make them a single thing? I just want the hair to move with the head, they don't even have to be the same thing. I tried placing the hair inside an empty, and then parenting the empty to an object parented to the head bone, but when I pose the head bone the object moves while the hair doesn't.

Anonymous No. 944284

>>944281
I'm this guy. Nevermind all that, I just realized I've made a mess. I have:
>independent strands of hair
>each is its own mesh
>each has its own armature
>all parented to the head bone
Now they move just fine with the head, but I realized that I have no way of saving poses for all the hair, but rather for each individual strand.
>tried to join them
>the armatures remained in the same place
>but the meshes spread all over the place
This may or may not have to do with the armatures' scales not being 1. Any ideas of how to fix this? In retrospect I guess I should've modeled this in edit mode instead of copy-pasting rigged strands of hair.

Anonymous No. 944305

>>944284
Could it be a weight painting issue?
Make sure that all the bones have different names (lets say HairStrand1_1, HairStrand1_2, etc), and are weighted properly on the mesh with those names. Then you merge the meshes together. None of the weights should be doubled up and fucked up if you do that since all the names are different and it'll just add the vertex groups together into the same mesh.
When you merge the armatures, and re-parent the rig to the mesh, it should just match up to those weights you already have.

Anonymous No. 944320

>Learning blender
>All is going smooth and well
>My next model have me making a rectangular hole with round corners on a curved surface
This shit is giving me existential crisis, i don't think i'm smart enough to make this

Anonymous No. 944321

>>944320
Use a boolean operation and then clean up the mess. Retopologize the whole thing if cleaning up is harder. And if you're gonna retopo anyway, consider that Blender has tools for hard-surface sculpting, so you might as well do that instead of modeling it the other way.

Anonymous No. 944357

>>944321
Yeah yeah retopo your booleans. And then retopo the retopo. That's the Blender way.

Image not available

1920x1080

car1.png

Anonymous No. 944385

>>942472

Anonymous No. 944432

>>943054
Tpose faggot.
How are you going to bind from that??
> Sculpt
Oh wait, you won't.

Anonymous No. 944435

>>944432
What's the problem with attaching a skeleton to an already posed model? You've clearly never done anything in 3D but I just want to inform you that it works just fine to some extent.

Anonymous No. 944455

>>944432
A-pose, cunt.
Your mesh should be as relaxed as possible, T-pose is bad for shoulder bones.

Anonymous No. 944467

>>944123
Do you have any tutorial to recommend?

Image not available

2672x952

cape_coll.jpg

Anonymous No. 944500

Any way to fix this without transferring weight paint from the armature/base model to the cape? Basically I want it unaffected when the arm's lowered but raised when the arm's raised (so like a real cape essentially). Moving the cape mesh into position before raising the arm deforms the cape shape.
Any ideas?

Anonymous No. 944506

>>944500
Nvm got an answer. Basically you have to soft animate the character to get the physics to work correctly.

Image not available

683x948

wtf.jpg

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 944536

Why the FUCK are these pixels jumping outwards when I switch to object mode?

Anonymous No. 944553

>>942608
If the rest of the scene is pretty static, is moving everything else instead of the car an option?

Anonymous No. 944554

Why is face topology just the shitties thing ever
I fucking hate it

Anonymous No. 944558

>>944553
I just said "fuck it" and used a particle system. Icospheres with volumetrics and a noise texture to chop it up works well enough. Not perfectly, but still. Metaballs worked a bit, but made weird shapes.
I had given the free trial of Embergen a try, and even a single drift is too big to contain in their domain at a decent resolution.
Still, I found the program really easy to use and work with, so I might use it in the future for other things.

And no,
>is moving everything else instead of the car an option?
Or at least not at this point.
I could see something like that working, provided you had a wind force field that rotated around the car, but moving the entire scene with the car staying in place sounds like an absolute nightmare. I mean it might not be a total nightmare if it was just the road, considering I could just move the road along the path (which I've done a few times for projects), but the rest of the environment would start making things pretty wonky.

Still, I do wish there was a way to do this sort of thing without massive fucking domains that need massive resolutions to calculate small areas. I tried shrinking the whole scene from real scale to something smaller, but in this case the whole scene broke. I did end up getting a nice sim going, but at the last minute I decided to up the resolution a bit for a nicer sim, and the entire sim broke for the file (>>944044), despite re-baking with the exact same settings that worked before.
Mantaflow is fucking broken trash as far as I'm concerned. It's half baked, unfinished, and they abandoned it for nodes.

Image not available

1900x1014

4th dimensional f....png

Anonymous No. 944559

Look at this shit. How did I even fuck things up like this? I thought I was actually doing okay then blam. Happened too early on for me to undo, and restarting isn't that big a deal. Still, knowing this is super fucking basic and that I still screwed it up gets me down.

Anonymous No. 944566

>>944559
Oh god another beginner blender user doing the donut tutorial. You aren't sticking to this hobby at this rate. If you really want to get serious, start making anime girls anon.

Anonymous No. 944568

>>944566
Hehe look guys this poster is so special and original, I bet he's really good at 3D. He made an observation about the most popular tutorial being used by beginners, which means that he's smart hehe. And that witty comment about modelling anime girls! This guy adds value to the board and definitely helps beginners. He also fucks men.

Anonymous No. 944569

>>944559
At some point you were snapping verts and snapped all the way through. Maybe it was a weird angle, or a bug that existed around Blender 3.0, or something. You can try selecting the wrong parts and deleting them and see how it ends up, then manually fill whichever parts are missing a vertex. Things you can do in the future to prevent it:
>be really mindful of what's behind
>or select what's behind and hide it with Ctrl. + H
>or partition your viewport in several small windows in one side so you can see all the angles at the same time while you work on the big windows
>or check the other side after every snapping
Also, protip, go into your settings and increase your undo steps. I think the max is like 250 or something, and if your memory can handle it it's always good to have.

Image not available

1920x2160

tests.jpg

Anonymous No. 944576

so ive been candidly looking for a few days for stuff where people have made "convincing" watercolor materials or looks in blender and im not feeling very confident. grease pencil seems pretty limited because it doesnt seem that you can use traditional materials as brush materials which severely limits my options for outlining stuff unless i use the compositor to mask in some outlines from a material texture, and consistently getting meshes to look like theyve been painted over doesnt seem to be possible with anything ive come across so far.

the closest i got with materials was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKObDQEPR3A , though it doesnt really encapsulate the "felt pen outline, soft brush with a lot of watercolor paint that pools before it dries" look enough for my liking. i toyed around with changing nodes and attempting outlines, but it didnt come close to what im hoping for.

do you have any experience with recreating 2d watercolor looks in blender?

Anonymous No. 944580

>>944559
Target edges/faces, select the ones you don't want, delete. You can change between vertex/edge/face to the right of Edit Mode at the top left.

Anonymous No. 944600

Just watched the 3.5 video on the new hair geometry nodes assets, but they only show it for curves?

So far i do all my hair with the particle system, that's different from curves right? Are all the big hair updates since 3.0 only for curves and not particles?

Anonymous No. 944608

>>942771
displace modifier

Anonymous No. 944630

>>944600
They're geo node curves, not particles.
I think particles are getting phased out. Most of the grooming stuff that hair curves got now, they already had with the hair particles. There's a few new things, and its definitely faster, but the pushing/shoving and combing shit Blender already had for a long while. Node curves seem to be more robust than the particles, and to be honest the particles are hot trash from 2007.

Anonymous No. 944656

So I was working on Blender 3.4, then I closed and saved and accidentally started working in Blender 3.3. Now my shit is broken and don't have texture. It's black, and the texture on the skin is gray. Is there anything to fix this?

Anonymous No. 944657

>>944656
Is there a backup file?

Anonymous No. 944658

>>944657
Autosave was 2 hours ago :(

Anonymous No. 944659

How do you all manage your different versions of Blender?

I'm still learning and so often must match my version with the tutorial I'm learning from. Too often I've tried to follow a tutorial only for the feature or part of the UI to be completely missing.

So I have Blender 2.8, Blender 3.0, and the latest(3.5), but haven't even gotten into addon management and I'm a little worried about it because I'm not confident those'll work across versions as well.

So do you all just have a "main' version of Blender that you work from that has all of your addons and scripts and then keep older versions around for compatibility when you need to run outdated things? And do you customize them or just generally use vanilla to avoid the hassle of having to maintain that also?

Image not available

1280x720

1563553561967.jpg

Anonymous No. 944660

>>944658
You live and you learn faggot.

Anonymous No. 944661

>>944658
change your setting, my autosave is like every 2 minutes

Anonymous No. 944662

>>944659
Just grab the latest one and stick to that one for a year or something. The same features in the video are elsewhere in the UI, find out where in the manual. And if the features really don't exist anymore, then why are you even learning them?

Anonymous No. 944672

>>944659
>>944661
>my autosave is like every 2 minutes
This. I've lost count of how many times a small autosave has saved my ass. I compulsively press ctrl+s like it was a fucking schizo tick, and the autosave still manages to save my bacon. Either from a crash, stupid mistake of turning something too high and locking the program up, or even just fucking something irreparably and it's not covered in my generous undo history.
It's an incredibly good feeling when something inevitably goes wrong and fucks you, and you look at the time of the autosave and you look at the clock and they're at most a minute apart. Even better when you load that autosave and you've lost at most a few mouse clicks.

Saving different versions is a close second.

Anonymous No. 944674

>>944672
Fuck, I responded to the wrong person, meant for >>944656
. Sorry, >>944659
If it's any consolation, I just stick to the new hotness, but keep different versions hanging around that make breaking changes. Sticking to the LTS versions isn't too bad an idea if you're worried about compatibility, but I've not really run into any issues apart from maybe smoke/fluid sims when they swapped those.
In the cases I do need an older file, I'll load that up in the newest version to see if anything's broken, and if it's not I'll save a new updated version separately and keep the old one.

Also, >>944656
Have you tried going to File>External Data>Find missing files ???
The differences between 3.3 and 3.4 aren't significant enough to break things that bad.

Anonymous No. 944682

Whats the process to excluding an object from freestyle in blender 3.5? I'm going through and updating old game object renders from a very old version of blender (2.79 I think?) and I have to recreate every single material from scratch because opencl was dropped and nothing translates and I'm sure the freestyle stuff has changed as well. Thanks

Anonymous No. 944757

>>942472
Alternatives to the donut tutorial?

Anonymous No. 944760

>>944672
Also, turn the number of autosaves as high as possible.

Anonymous No. 944777

>>944757
Any. Or go on Udemy and buy some.

Anonymous No. 944784

Anyone got Curtis Holy's paid addons? Mainly looking for By-Gen and Generator's Lab

Anonymous No. 944785

>>944784
Sorry, Curtis Holt's

Anonymous No. 944798

I've been learning Maya and 3ds Max for the past few months. I started with Blender.

I'm discovering that Max and Maya are missing many Blender features.
>Can't scale UI at all in Max, can only scale the entire UI in Maya, not individual panels.
>Can't grid fill or circularize in Max without a plugin.
>Can't hide the UI in Max or Maya like you can in Blender with Alt+Shift+Z. There's literally no way to hide the red selection lines when editing poly, so you can never see exactly what you're doing and how the shading looks at the edge until you deselect everything.
>Cannot use Max or Maya unless you have a 3 button mouse. You need to constantly press the middle-mouse button to navigate, so you specifically need a mouse with a soft MMB. Blender is designed to work well even on a trackpad by having features like 'emulate 3-button mouse' Or you can use Alt+left click instead of MMB, which is less painful to press repeatedly.
>In Blender you can hold Alt when doing any command to make it go slower. In Max this only works on spinners. It doesn't work for gizmos.
>In Blender you can enter arithmetic into any input box like 30/pi, or 18*7 and get the correct value. You cannot enter formulas like this into Max or Maya fields.
>Cannot create free-floating vertices in Max or Maya but you can in Blender. Blender's Knife tool is also better than Max's Cut tool. This makes creating geometry from scratch and fixing topology easier in Blender.
>Blender has far better texture painting and sculpting than Max or Maya. It has most of ZBrush's features already. Including the pretty recent knife tool, and even more recent VDM brushes.

These are just some common workflow features that occur constantly when working on any project. There are lots more ways that Blender is nicer, faster, and more powerful to use but this comment is already getting long.

Anonymous No. 944839

Where can I find Zen UV 4 for free?

Anonymous No. 944880

>>944757
the hairy anus tutorial

Image not available

1425x1055

1677748863867218.png

Anonymous No. 944940

Is there any way I can make the timeline zoom to my mouse position when I scroll, instead of always zooming at the center of the view?

Image not available

585x312

1670694295491951.jpg

Anonymous No. 944942

>>944940
nevermind I found it.
I was looking in input settings

Image not available

539x179

2023-05-04-168322....png

Anonymous No. 944979

>whole community hyped up to the fucking moon
>hype completely stalls
>...
>module gets abandoned
>radio silence

the fuck happened?

Anonymous No. 944980

I can't decide what to do with the space bar
>got so used to search menu being on spacebar that putting it anywhere else feels annoying
>when editing video having playback NOT on spacesbar feels annoying
AAAAA

Anonymous No. 944988

>>944979
The dude left I think.
Par for the course for any Blender feature, really.
Fluid/Smoke sims are unfinished and will always be.
There's a dude on one of the forums creating a brand new one from scratch that works live on the GPU and it looks pretty promising, but he's still just doing it in his free time. Odds of it being integrated are pretty low I think (dude got his application to Blender rejected because he was "too inexperienced"), and it's still not released as an addon (if it ever will be).
https://devtalk.blender.org/t/realtime-gpu-smoke-simulation/13142/389
The devs just don't give a shit and are circle jerking themselves over Geo Nodes.

Anonymous No. 945104

>>944988
does he have a repo up somewhere?

Anonymous No. 945142

>>945104
Not that I know of.
If there is, it's probably in that thread. I only stumbled upon it a week ago looking for why the fuck Blender's smoke sim is hot trash.
I didn't dig deeper than "huh that's neat".

Anonymous No. 945154

My files keep opening up in fullscreen even after I saved a new default with the window windowed. Any idea what's up with that? It's extra annoying because I use a 49" ultrawide.

Anonymous No. 945166

>>945104
>>945142
it is in the first post
https://github.com/michal1000w/GPUSmoke

Anonymous No. 945172

>>944880
Can you point me to where I would find that?

Anonymous No. 945191

>>945166
Shit, my bad then.
I never actually read the first post. I found the thread when searching on google and the link was like 3/4 down the thread. Didn't see any point in going to the first post since I figured it'd be outdated.
Nice find.

Image not available

2344x845

pockets.png

Anonymous No. 945204

Noob here. I'm trying to model pockets on a coat. I tried really hard not make triangles or N-gons but there's still artifacts with the shading and I imagine even more problems down the road.

Do you have any advice or know any tutorials on how to fix the topology in a situation like this?

Anonymous No. 945205

I've read that blender does not have a full implementation of the soft body section of bullet. Is this true?

Anonymous No. 945206

Reposting my stupid question >>945043 Where neither knife or boolean will cut difference in two semi-intersecting objects made of set of flats.

Image not available

3072x2048

38273451665_20e0c....jpg

Anonymous No. 945288

Anyone find out a way (or addon) to do proper long exposure type shit in Blender? I'm not talking light trails, that shit's easy enough, but rather the unique accumulation of light over time that you see in long exposure photography. Areas untouched by the light stay dark, but gather up some of the ambient light uniformally, while areas lit over time are bathed in light. It's totally different than just cranking up the exposure/gamma.
I've been fucking around with Blender for years, but I still haven't figured out a good way to do it that looks "right".
I've come close by adding dark exposures on top of each other, but it still just doesn't seem to be perfect.

Anonymous No. 945290

>>945288
I think exposure stacking is the only way to do it properly. If it doesn't look right maybe it's because your light sources aren't casting enough ambient light to be picked up. Maybe you could try to render brighter images, stack them, and then reduce the exposure.

Image not available

1438x673

wtf5.jpg

Anonymous No. 945490

Anyone know why the eyes rotate out of the sockets when I rotate the head? They're parented to the head bone and nothing else.

Image not available

747x244

Weights.jpg

Anonymous No. 945522

>>945490
Weighting issue for sure.
They're probably still weighted to another bone but you can't see what. Go through and set the weight to 0 for every bone except the head.
If you click on a vert in edit mode, you can see in the right panel which groups it's a part of, I'd start there before going through every bone and setting the weight to 0.

Anonymous No. 945536

Any good collision and boob physics tutorials?

Anonymous No. 945546

>>945536
That doesn't require surrounding a pentagram with candles and sacrificing a virgin? No.
Best Blender can do is convoluted as fuck surface deform + cage mesh that doesn't look right, or softbody shit that looks like inflated balloons without any internals.
There was an interesting one floating around by some Jap, that used Flan/Pudding as an example, but I can't find it via searching. Maybe someone here knows the one I'm talking about, but I doubt it.

Anonymous No. 945594

>>944988
>The devs just don't give a shit and are circle jerking themselves over Geo Nodes.
And the nodes suck. You ever notice how every node tutorial, is about how to get one object to interact with another object? That's because blender nodes can't make object interact with themselves in any dynamic way. Maybe simulation nodes will change things in the upcoming 3.6 version. But from what I've seen of simulation nodes, it's still pushing balls through particles. No one has figured out self collision yet.

Image not available

500x375

1682863577026376.png

Anonymous No. 945599

What's the fastest way to import/make available all of my textures for painting/sculpting? I don't want to make a bunch of new textures and assign each texture individually. I'd try to script it if I could, but besides the built-in method of adding textures, I wonder if there is already a better way through an addon or something.

Image not available

660x714

1495314639512.png

Anonymous No. 945614

I fucked up my weight painting (multiple weights on bones on same vertex) Basically i forget to check the "Auto Normalize" during weight painting

how to fix it ?

Normalize/All didnt work

Image not available

1093x889

้›ป่ปŠ.png

Anonymous No. 945622

I made a train. Now how am I suppose to texture and colour this...? I feel like Blender's built in hand drawing system feels very lacking and I don't really understand the node system texturing since what I'll be making isn't realistic. From a perspective of a guy who has only used Clip Studio Paint.

Anonymous No. 945623

>>945594
Probably to do with blender's mesh structure being slow as shit.

Image not available

800x480

Data.jpg

Anonymous No. 945644

Hi there, total beginner here. I'm trying to make a rebar model but I can't figure out how to do the circular slanted extrusions on it. Any ideas?

Image not available

504x467

rebar.png

Anonymous No. 945645

>>945644
It's also okay if it looks like this

Anonymous No. 945650

newfag here, aside from sketchfab and blendswap, where can I find decent model that i could animate? bonus if its nsfw model, it isn't necessary though,

Anonymous No. 945655

>>945650
Go to:
https://www.deviantart.com/xnalara
get some models and then:
https://github.com/johnzero7/XNALaraMesh
to import them into Blender.

Be aware that Blender's animation system is in bad shape. If you're starting from scratch it may take you a long time to make it work. And you're not going to have a fun time.

Anonymous No. 945657

>>945655
>And you're not going to have a fun time.
yeah, I'm aware. My main problem right now is familiarizing myself with moving the camera where I want it to go. Thanks for the recommendation!

Anonymous No. 945665

How do I accurately model fat? Ideally, "fat" should appropriately "lay" on top of the vertices of the base mesh, right?

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 945666

>>945665
Are you making a skinless anatomical model? If yes, I don't know how how it's done. If now, then just make the fatty zones larger and smoother than than muscly zones. Do it manually. Sculpting tools will probably be easiest. Use the smooth tool to smooth out the area, and then the draw tool or inflate tool to build it out.
I'm not sure I understand your question though.

Image not available

1592x1063

rebar.png

Anonymous No. 945668

>>945644
>stuff on a cylinder
You can always just model everything on a plane and then use the simple deform modifier with an empty to bend it into shape.
This also helps with other modifiers since they don't have to deal with a curved surface

Anonymous No. 945681

>>945665
Assuming you want to make your models more realistic by adding jiggle physics:
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/physics/cloth/introduction.html
it's not easy to set up but it's the only thing that works at the moment. Be sure to select the "Dynamic mesh" option if your model has an armature.

Anonymous No. 945698

>>945681
This actually isn't what I am trying to do. I just need human fat to be modeled (creased) correctly.

Anonymous No. 945699

>>945698
You can run the Cloth sim and bake the results. To box model the creases directly, it's possible, but only if you become fat yourself.

Image not available

1354x1127

delete.jpg

Anonymous No. 945734

How do you guys organize collections in your asset browser directory? I have compiled all my assets and a lot of them are collections that I don't want to merge into single objects. My problem is that any collection I mark as an asset will have its location transform applied - i.e. if a collection is 10 units along the y axis relative to the 3d cursor, whenever I drop it into a new file from the asset browser, it will also spawn in 10 units along the y axis from the mouse cursor where it drops. I imagine that this is the expected behaviour, so I'm wondering if there is a way to force blender to populate collections according to a specific origin, like with a single object and its origin point.

Is there a better way to take a collection and it behave the same way as objects? And I'm also wondering if it's possible to make a collection follow the same drag-and-drop behaviour of an object (pic related, where dropping an object into a scene will snap it to the grid/geometry that it is being placed on)

Image not available

902x540

Screenshot_2023-0....png

Anonymous No. 945758

When is 3.6 going to come out? I ask because I want to make a stylized haircut that moves like real hair but maintains a style, more or less. This is because I want to use toon 2-tone shading which might look like shit with a thousand strands. What should I use in the meanwhile? Cloth sim? Particles?

Anonymous No. 945780

>>942487
Depends on your definitions of worth. Paid courses are higher in quality, but everything becomes free if you're fine with pirating, and courses cannot substitute an artistic idea anyway.

Anonymous No. 945846

>>942472
are there any tools or addons that would allow you to sculpt reductively or destructively? like basically starting with a block of marble and chipping away at it instead of having to use the standard additive process that blender is built around?

Image not available

1353x850

8455425235.jpg

Anonymous No. 945871

Do you guys use any addons for Rigging/Weight Painting, or is vanilla functionality enough?

>>944432
>>944435
Yeah, I messed up and should've checked the thread more since in the end I had to go back after 80% of retopology was done and cut into the shoulder/torso part to separate the arm. Thankfully it was relatively easy to pick the new topology in Retopoflow and finish it.

>>944455
>A-pose
Thanks, that's what I'm gonna start with next time.

Image not available

762x669

Screenshot_202305....png

Anonymous No. 945873

I rigged and weight painted my entire model without any issues, but it's just the hands keep getting fucked for some reason
any ideas

Anonymous No. 945876

>>945873
Try normalizing the weights?

Anonymous No. 945889

Is there a way to have a shadow catcher plane but not have it affect the rest of the light/shadows around it?

I want to use a shadow a catcher to imitate the object shadow on a wall that isn't there so the correct shadow exists when the sprites are layered and it works for the left side but not for the right (same direction of light).

Anonymous No. 945977

>>942472
how to make blender insert keyframe for all bones not just the ones that changed?

Anonymous No. 945979

>>945977
preferences > animation > keyframes > only insert needed

Image not available

321x240

ss.png

Anonymous No. 945980

>>945977
and also use the keying set "whole character"

Anonymous No. 945981

Blender's logo is literally 666 number of the beast, wake up, the hour of the lord is nigh

Anonymous No. 945982

>>945288
I would think that, if you stack multiple dark exposures you can reduce sampling, since each dark exposure render would count as a sample, I don't know.

Image not available

1920x1080

no_keyframe.webm

Anonymous No. 945984

>>945979
NO! The OPPOSITE, insert ALL SELECTED ALWAYS or it interpolates between neighboring keyframes and refuses to insert no matter what if keyframe = interpolated keyframe. Even worse than so if you later change neighboring keyframe it changes the interpolated one even if you want it fixed to the previous value.
>>945980
this doesn't work.

Image not available

1920x1080

no_keyframe.webm

Anonymous No. 945985

>>945984
better quality

Anonymous No. 945986

Hey anons, is there a way to replicate this c4d workflow in blender for "balancing" type of animations. They use some kind of function and it's porcedural. Can I use drivers for something like that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh7d5UqFq78

Anonymous No. 945992

>>944025
>>944100
the style looks very western, like a disney/pixar stylised character you see a lot of western artists doing. reminds me of yansculpts stuff. like an imitation of what a western artist thinks anime should look like.
i would recommend you follow eastern artists like qi sheng luo or sakaki kaoru to better understand the correct processes.

Anonymous No. 946015

>>945979
oh I guess this works if you uncheck it.

Anonymous No. 946016

>>945290
I don't know if it's a problem with the lights or not, but I don't think it is. I don't really have an image to post though since it's really just conjecture from the times I've experimented with it. It seems like emulating exposure like this would be something that 3d softwares would be totally down to do, since a lot of "realism" is emulating film and camera effects.

>>945982
>if you stack multiple dark exposures you can reduce sampling
You mean the old trick of stacking a bunch of low sample images with different noise seeds to make a final smooth image with less noise?
I used to do that a lot when all I had was a crappy laptop to render from. In all honesty I still do it from time to time, as I like the look a lot better than denoising.

Image not available

1280x400

1527709358568.png

Anonymous No. 946017

Is there a better way of destroying objects in Blender than the Cell Fracture addon? I find it to be really unrealistic and bad looking. It's really obvious to spot when people are using it because an object that is made of a certain material suddenly just breaks into these random bits of pieces that make no sense given what the material was before.

Image not available

1920x1080

Weeble Wobble.webm

Anonymous No. 946019

>>945986
You could use drivers, but I think keyframe modifiers (specifically the "Built-In Function) would be just as effective if we're talking sine-wave type stuff like this. Theoretically, using the keyframe modifiers and drivers would probably be even better, since you can set up the motion on the base object with a keyframe modifier, then use its rotation to drive a driver for the other objects. Meaning that you'd only need to tweak a single value to have all the other objects follow.
Webm related. It's just using the keyframe modifiers though, since finding the right offset values for the drivers was taking too much time, so I copy/pasted the modifier from the base object to the others and adjusted the offset. The see-saw is clipping a bit too, but all you have to do is add another modifier to the z position and find the right values to make it match.
Make sure to parent the extra objects to the base object so they follow the rotation as well.

Image not available

2017x940

Screenshot 2023-0....png

Anonymous No. 946020

Does anyone know how i can change the color of the shadow specifically for a given material in eevee?

Anonymous No. 946027

>>946016
Yes, but in this case you have the multisampling for free, since he's already stacking a bunch of renders on top of each other

Image not available

467x180

Screenshot 2023-0....png

Anonymous No. 946031

how do this??

Anonymous No. 946034

>>946031
Layout>Reroute, or just hold shift and right click drag over a noodle to create one where the line you drag intersects with the noodle.

Anonymous No. 946035

>>944025
Can you post a blend file with just the eyes so I can see how it's done or show how to do it? Please?

Image not available

1106x659

cat.png

Anonymous No. 946041

how do i turn these tris into quads please, I started with the head and not the edge loops around eyes and mouth

Image not available

1106x659

Cat face retopo.png

Anonymous No. 946043

>>946041
Hard to imagine in my head. But I think something like this should work. Arrows indicated where to slide vertices. Slide them all the way until they're touching their neighboring vertex, and then merge by distance. Remember to check the box that allows unselected vertices to merge. Because they're touch each other, they were merge at practically zero distance. No other vertices should be merging.
x indicates to delete vertex or edge.
Line indicates new cuts.

Image not available

1234x538

cat2.png

Anonymous No. 946071

now different topology flow problems.

Anonymous No. 946101

How do I center a grease pencil object between two other grease pencil objects in 2D mode. I'm trying to use Oscurat Tools > distribute, but it's causing all sorts of problems.

Image not available

1920x1080

fuck_blender.webm

Anonymous No. 946110

why can't I see my keyframe?

Anonymous No. 946129

Any auto rig pro experts here? Why the fuck can't I edit the roll of my reference bones? Whenever I hit "match to rig" it auto rotates bones in random directions after I fixed the reference bones

Anonymous No. 946131

>>946110
you've got the dopesheet editor in grease pencil context, switch it to dopesheet context

Anonymous No. 946135

Hey anons, Cycles question here.
I 've recently run into a bug lately that's driving me insane: rendering the same scene gets significantly slower the second time I do it and then progressively slower from the third time onward. We are talking from 5/6 minutes to almost half an hour on the same exact render.
Scene is big but not huge (under 1 GB) and the bug seems to appear randomly and "attach" to the file, i.e. if I reopen the file the same problem happens but if I start rendering a completely different file I might not get it.
Some people seem to have similar problems when rendering frames from animations, but I am rendering a single image and I've found no solution for either case.

Image not available

640x445

aj10mb.jpg

Anonymous No. 946141

>>942472
total noob here. im on the shading panel, how do I use an alpha channel on a color layer to control the opacity of the pixels?

Anonymous No. 946146

>>945204
do you know how auto smooth works and how to calibrate it?

Image not available

1290x516

hairfuse.png

Anonymous No. 946149

>>942472
How do I "fuse" a particle system into an object?
See pic related

Anonymous No. 946152

gonna get back into sculpting, spent unhealthy amount of hours doing it last year,
took a 6 month break.

excited to try out the VDM's. how is it? are z-brushcels seething that blender has fucking finally started to become worthwhile for sculpting?

Anonymous No. 946153

>>946135
Do you have "Persistent Data" turned on?
I usually leave it on since it makes for faster re-renders, but it does take up quite a bit of RAM/VRAM if you render a few times. When it does, things do slow down.
I think this is mainly because it's using the system's HDD/SSD for memory because RAM and VRAM are full. So swapping that shit around takes more time.
If you open a new project it clears that info, and naturally you'll render faster. If you're rendering a single image, I'd turn it off entirely.

If what I said isn't the case, and it's not the persistent data option, I'm not sure what the issue is. I've not had that issue. If you can say where most of the time is being spent during the render, that might help nail it down. Like 90% of the time being wasted when I'm rendering is building the scene and caching all the textures and shit, once that's done the actual RENDERING part of it takes an incredibly short time proportionally.

>>946141
Mix Color node, and a mask into the Fac input. If you want to actually make something transparent, use a transparency shader, or use the Alpha input of the Principled BSDF node.

>>946149
There should be an option to "Make instances real" on the particle modifier. That'll turn every particle into a real object. If you want to merge them together with another object, you can either make them a single object and join them with the other with ctrl+j, or use a Boolean modifier set to "union". I'd advice against either of those though, and keep a particle system as particles if you can help it.

Anonymous No. 946156

>>946131
I see. Thanks, anon.

Image not available

1071x828

AAAA.jpg

Anonymous No. 946164

For the love of God, why reflection cubemaps refuse to show any object in the scene when in rendered mode in eevee? It's just a principled shader with 0 roughness.

Anonymous No. 946186

>>946164
Stupid question, but you do have Screenspace reflections turned on, right?
Also cubemap reflections only show objects that are present when baked, new objects won't show up. That's kinda how cubemaps work.

Anonymous No. 946192

>>946186
That's what happens when I work at 2am, I'm such a fucking retard, yeah, I was using cubemaps instead of irradiance volume, thanks.

Anonymous No. 946194

>>946153
That's the common error I found searching online, but no, I have persistent data turned off.
Since I mainly work with shaders and I have maybe a couple of textures in the scene the building part takes seconds, the part that is fast and then slow is the actual rendering part.
I have a couple of theories:
-1 Blender might be flushing incorrectly the cache somehow (without reusing it)
-2 it could have something to do with drivers even if I only render a single frame
-3 Blender is wizardry and I have angered the gods.
What worries me is I might have done something wrong somewhere and the program snags on it, but I don't know how to avoid it.
p.s. I updated the graphics driver but it had no effects. thanks for taking the time anon

Image not available

412x302

NIGGER.png

Anonymous No. 946214

I fucking hate this nigger so fucking much
get to the fucking point already you stupid faggot
i don't care about your jokes or the bullshit you have to say

Anonymous No. 946243

>>942488
what the fuck has to happen to a person for him to betray reality like that

Anonymous No. 946245

My goal is to model a 40k bits for the tabletop in blender. Can I learn enough to reach that goal in 3 weeks?

Anonymous No. 946246

>>946245
no

Anonymous No. 946303

i'm trying to import SVG images and use them as decals with shrinkwrap, but it sucks. Should I just turn them into textures at this point?
> Import SVG
> Topology is shit, cannot shrinkwrap as is
> Have to add solidify mod then retopo mod
> Cannot shrinkwrap after that, have to convert to mesh and delete everything but top face (aka un-solidify)
> Half the time solidify freaks out
> Can fix the mesh with "merge by distance"
> But not with weld mod
> Sometimes can fix with decimate mod
Sure, I'm doing something wrong at this point.

Image not available

2660x1330

combined_image.png

Anonymous No. 946316

Is there a way to do different compositor setups for the same render result? I'm trying to automate sprite creation and have it outputting a nice sheet, but I also want versions of all the sprites overlaid on their alpha channel, dilated and coloured, to get an outline like the old Fallouts. I can just hook up the node in the compositor and run the script again, but I think this is possible to do in the code.

Anonymous No. 946328

>>946316
The File output node might be what you need.
It'll let you save a separate file in the compositor based on what it's connected to.
So you could have a bunch of different compositing node setups in one graph and output all of them separately with the file output node.
If you're talking about recursive things, like feeding the output back in, then nah, I don't think that's possible in Blender.

Image not available

258x228

0ftebz.jpg

Anonymous No. 946336

How the fuck do I use an IK rig?
I downloaded a rigged model and instead of having a good old simple rig, it has this gay ass "IK" thing with stupid gear shaped bones and other useless shit.

As a result, I can't fucking rotate the legs vertically in pose mode, all the three axis move them horizontally.
I can't for the love of god find any tutorial or anything explaining how to use these gay ass overcomplicated IK rigs on google or youtube, all I find is stuff about making them.

Image not available

665x665

highlighted.png

Anonymous No. 946343

>>946328
Im thinking of how to make that work with my setup, not sure if it can. The script saves all the renders with specific file names then glues them together with PIL, and Im not sure how to get the node to behave like that. In the end it might be easier to just render a few sheets with the different outlines anyway, could simplify the work on the game side.

Anonymous No. 946363

>>946336
If it's one of those with arrows and boxes and shit, move those, not the actual bones.

Anonymous No. 946364

>>946336
A good rig should have an IK/FK switch, for example the blender metarig comes with FK and IK out of the box, with switches/influences slider, and even buttons to copy FK position to IK and vice versa, very handy.

Oh and yeah, to use the IK part, you move the IK controller and the arms/legs will attempt to follow

Image not available

484x605

1627806165194.png

Anonymous No. 946371

I know for cloth sims in unity you can weight mesh vertices to determine how strongly the cloth sim affects those vertices, is there a way to do this in blender?
It seems like all I can do is either have the vertices of a mesh completely influenced by the cloth sim, or not at all via pin groups.

Anonymous No. 946373

>>946371
The way I do it is I enable the Dynamic mesh option which essentially excludes whatever the previous modifier (usually an Armature) is doing to the vertices from the simulation.
So to exclude the Cloth sim from that vertex I just set the pin strength to full. To enable the simulation, I set the pin strength to half or lower. It's counter-intuitive but it works.

Anonymous No. 946374

>>943286
Some stuff, like joined objects losing their material unless their uv maps share the same name, is utterly pointless and exists just to waste people time

Anonymous No. 946387

>>946373
ok weird thanks

Anonymous No. 946388

I have never used Blender before. I have downloaded a model of my waifu and for the past few days I've spent a horrific, unhealthy amount of time posing and rendering her. Is this the end for me? How would I go about finding a cute dress and a sun hat and putting them on her?

Anonymous No. 946389

>>946388
learn how to make them by practicing the model>uv>texture/material>render workflow for simpler projects and read the documentation. youre never going to be able to find assets that are free, look good, and also match the art style of whatever model youre using, so its best to make them.

Anonymous No. 946390

>>946389
Thanks anon. This is just a phase, right?

Anonymous No. 946393

>>946390
it's the beginning of something special. keep at it.

Anonymous No. 946394

>>946393
Oh no...
Anyway how do I avoid getting all that horrible noise in Cycles? I've ramped up the samples to 250 and lowered the noise threshold to the minimum, but I still get a whole lot of noise. Is it because the lights are too dark? I preview in Evee of course and it's generally much brighter.

Anonymous No. 946398

>>946394
Check if "Denoise" is on and I think you should compare the settings with the defaults in a new scene, because 250 does not sound right. It's 1024/4096 for viewport/render in my Blender.

Anonymous No. 946399

Sup dudes. Im having a hard time animating in blender since the animation values are always in decimal places. It fucks up the curves.
Is there any way i can mitigate this?
I make my characters relative to the scale of the blender cube

Anonymous No. 946400

>>946398
I'm going to try 4096. It's gonna take forever.

Anonymous No. 946401

Is speedtree the best addon to use for making trees in blender or is there alternatives?

Anonymous No. 946402

>>946387
I promise I'll make a better demo some day but for now >>944606
The Armature modifier is in the stack before the Cloth sim. With the Dynamic mesh option enabled, where the pin group says one, the vertex follows to the armature, where it says less than one, it becomes floppy.
Maybe it should have been the opposite but you know, it's Blender.

Anonymous No. 946403

>>946402
gotcha, it's also confusing given there's the "stiffness" setting under the pin group in the cloth sim settings that also has an effect on how strongly the sim affects the pin group

Anonymous No. 946420

>>946398
Nope, no chance. Even with such a high sample count it still left horrible red lines everywhere that just wouldn't get denoised. Cycles renders look straight up terrible compared to Evee. Could it be the model itself? Maybe it's lacking something that makes Cycles perform badly?

Anonymous No. 946428

>>946420
Sure sounds like something is fucked, maybe in compositing or in materials.

Anonymous No. 946461

>>946428
I don't have the renders with me but it's like everything in Cycles looks flat, matte, without any of the metallic shine or skin texture that shows up in Evee. 200 samples or 4000 makes no difference at all in the result. It's definitely like something is missing.

Anonymous No. 946471

>>946461
You're using an HDRI background, right?

Anonymous No. 946472

>>946471
Uhhhhhhhhhhh...

Anonymous No. 946473

>download a model rigged with rigify
>script is inevitably broken
>stuck with a gay ass unusable IK only armature

Happens all the time
Fuck rigify

Image not available

256x256

1611130325104.png

Anonymous No. 946479

Is there a way to set every selected edge to be the same length as the active selected edge?

Image not available

485x531

Screenshot_202305....png

Anonymous No. 946486

Uhm... what happened to my X axis?

Anonymous No. 946488

I'm using a particle system to give my tree branches that come off the vertex groups. The problem I have is that the branches particle system (the pine needles in this case) are not appearing on the branch when it is applied to the tree.

Any idea what setting controls a particle systems particle system? Lol

Anonymous No. 946489

>>946471
Okay. So I've used an HDRI background, and Cycles still manages to suck. I'm gonna give up on this and blame it on some weird shit that I'm not aware of. But holy shit it's such a gamechanger. The Evee render looks absolutely delicious.

Anonymous No. 946490

>>946489
Actually I'm going to try one last attempt and let the rendering complete before I give up.

Anonymous No. 946499

No it still sucks. Whatever. She looks so beautiful in the warm light of the fireplace.

Anonymous No. 946506

So I'm learning blender and have a desktop plenty good enough to handle it, but I find myself away from home a lot with work and travel. I want to keep learning so I'm after the basics of a laptop that will run it well enough, doesn't need to be a rendering beast just good enough and portable.

I know something expensive with a dedicated gpu is ideal but I like the battery life of ones without that. I know some years ago cpus with built in vega graphics ran some games decently so I'm wondering if a decent AMD laptop may work for some learning/design on the go?

Granted regardless I'll have to get through the absolute naming cluserfuck of current PC CPUs. But if I can find a good balance of price, battery, and power and leave the desktop for the full render it would be nice.

Anonymous No. 946521

Any body has rokoko retargeting addon without the need for login? or
Is there a good bone retargeting addon?

this login shit to anything that supposed to be just a small offline program fucking cancer to my brain

Anonymous No. 946529

Anyone here want to make a quick buck by finishing my blender file? All I need is a pair of wings. No, the fucking tutorial with the vulture didn't work. I have everything set up except the geometry nodes. If you want to just tell me how to copy a mesh into another mesh via geometry nodes that will work too.

Anonymous No. 946659

>>946490
12 posts in and neither of you have decided to post a picture of the issue?

Image not available

834x1024

1682508121430033m.jpg

Anonymous No. 946692

When will xpbd be ready?

Image not available

1920x1040

crt.jpg

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 946704

total blender noob here:
imported a basic photogrammetry scan to blender; project is only vertices, no edges or faces.
what's the best way to go about turning this into a proper mesh?
sorry in advance

Anonymous No. 946719

>>946506
Look up how to render on Google Colab for free. Trying to do that shit on a laptop CPU is absolute Brazillian tier.

Image not available

747x269

Screenshot 2023-0....png

Anonymous No. 946726

Im just trying to export a UV map with the built in addon, what in the hell is happening here?

Anonymous No. 946799

>>946214
>ok so to do this you use this asset ""downloaded"" (paid) off poligon

Anonymous No. 946826

Why are all the character model tutorials all use girls? the few guys I have seen have been lazy blob meshes

Anonymous No. 946838

anyone has the lastest version of the pie menu editor addon?

>>946726
did you update your blender? its either a bug or your addon needs to be updated

Image not available

1920x1080

untitled.png

Anonymous No. 946841

I have a question about the workflow of hard surface objects and making them "game ready". Like for example, I make guns using subdivision surface to get the shape but how would I turn that into a low poly? I can't exactly just disable the subd else it doesn't retain the shape. I apply the subd and try to use a decimate modifier the topology gets all fucked up and while the shape is closer, there are still some glaring problems.

Am I going about this the completely wrong way?

Image not available

940x393

1672632015094559.jpg

Anonymous No. 946859

https://builder.blender.org/download/daily/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jECkPnLYoo
Are you ready for Blender 4.0?

Anonymous No. 946865

Unpopular opinion: Blenders update cadence is too fast. They want to push out versions constantly and it leads to prioritizing smaller features that can be finished quickly to justify a new version update and that further results in major leaps getting pushed back and back and back making; ie Eevee Next. Blender major incremental updates updates feel like service patches because of this

Anonymous No. 946878

>>946865
I agree, just look at 4.0, this is a ridiculously small leap for a massive version update. Meanwhile like half the scheduled major features have been pushed back multiple times, to the point where some are now well over a year past their original launch window.

Image not available

480x360

1547802802563.jpg

Anonymous No. 946937

>https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:AarnavDhanuka/GSoC2022/FinalReport#Future_Work
>still no sign of this

Anonymous No. 946971

>>946937
the fate of all gsoc projects
meanwhile, hire 4 more devs to work on cycles!

Image not available

1577x835

Wendi.png

Anonymous No. 947023

Playing with new hair features but for some reason on this model fur won't grow on this thigh or the left breast. Weight painting looks fine and I cant add more to these areas in sculpt mode.
Any obvious issues it could be or is it more likely something that runs deeper?

Anonymous No. 947024

>>947023
>Blender hobbyist when he first discovers geo nodes.

Anonymous No. 947026

>>946865
yep, the new update cycle is retarded
yet another "fix" for something that wasn't broken

Anonymous No. 947034

>>947023
Are your UVs overlapping?

Image not available

728x1327

Lili (7).jpg

Anonymous No. 947045

hey anons. does anybody have advice for easy hair physics? specifically, very long hair like pic rel?

Anonymous No. 947051

>>947034
No, they look good

Anonymous No. 947238

Would a Ryzen 5625U (Vega 7) be enough to learn Blender on?

I'm on the go a lot lately and while my home PC is more than enough, my mobile option was usually more based on being light with good battery in a balance to power.

Anonymous No. 947250

>>947238
The program is free, just try it.

Anonymous No. 947251

>>947023
are your normals flipped?

Anonymous No. 947301

>>947250
Was sort of trying to figure out if purchasing said 5625U would work out or not. Went 5700U, one gen older architecture, but 4 more threads and a Vega 8. So hopefully it does okay.

Anonymous No. 947306

>>947238
Yes.

Anonymous No. 947349

>>946506
If you can leave your home PC running, just setup a VNC

Image not available

588x605

scale.png

Anonymous No. 947379

Hello anons, I am new to Blender. I have an animation I'm trying to copy to another skeleton without squishing it down. Is there a way to keep the proportions intact?

Anonymous No. 947420

>>945536
>>945546
Wait so Blender is not a good choice for sex animations? Then what is?

Image not available

595x316

1668387870725144.png

Anonymous No. 947433

How the fuck do you curve this perfectly

Anonymous No. 947438

>>947433
>select end vertices
>use spin under mesh/extrude
>set angle to 180, axis to z=1 only
>change center to set radius

Image not available

680x622

1681515468778143.png

Anonymous No. 947441

If I bitch and whine about cloth/softbody physics nodes not being out yet will that make them be released faster?

Anonymous No. 947448

anyone else experiencing RAM leaks when editing textures? im on 3.5.1

Anonymous No. 947491

>>942803
What you see in properties is the bounding box in local coordinates.

Image not available

1912x1010

mushroom destruct....png

Anonymous No. 947499

So I'm following this tutorial to make a cell shaded mushroom, and he said to add two loop cuts and move the middle inward, which I did. To some he added a bevel, which destroyed the geometry of my dodecagon. It goes crazy when I try any level of inset. I can ignore this part because it's under the mushroom cap, but I want to learn the right way. How does one fix this?

Anonymous No. 947500

>>947499
Are your normals consistent? (Shift+n in edit mode to make them so.)

Anonymous No. 947529

what happened to arimus 3d blender tutorials on youtube?

Image not available

960x540

Castleblender.jpg

Anonymous No. 947543

Roughly half a century ago, I saw some guy show off his Blender addon or compositor setup that allowed you to design castles and stuff like that with just simple splines and modifiers. Does anyone know what I am talking about? It looked super easy and I am not going to sit here modelling every single vertex of every single block of some sandstone&mortar wall for 5 hours

Image not available

1920x1200

cover-5-3-w-text.png

Anonymous No. 947569

Shameless plug
https://pharah.gitlab.io/model/blender/

Anonymous No. 947690

>>946243
kek
Also the answer is porn addiction, obviously.
It's only a matter of time until he develops AGP (if he hasn't already) and joins the 41%, doing the gene pool a service in the process.

Anonymous No. 947708

Anyone know why when using emission in cycles the color is never the same as what you choose? Like I have a lightning bolt I made and I want it to be a dark orange bolt but it appears yellow if I use orange and if I use red it appears pink.

What's the thought process behind the colors and usage of emissions in Cycles?

Anonymous No. 947713

>>946473
what's an alternative to rigify

Anonymous No. 947721

>>947713
MHX

Anonymous No. 947727

>>947708
When using the Filmic view transform the colors are desaturated depending on light intensity which mimics how the human eye and cameras perceive colors.
Either use the standard view transform or do some color correction in compositing.

Anonymous No. 947728

>>947727

You are the first person to ever give me an answer to a question in these threads it feels like. I believe you're spot on but a bit backwards, I was on standard but switched it to filmic and now they are more appropriately colored. That's really never an option I've messed with before and I'd hate to go through compositing. I already hate having to go through Gimp when I do transparent shit. Thanks

Image not available

1200x1108

another reason to....png

Anonymous No. 947796

is there a way around this? normal map nodes get their tangent space from the top most UV set and create horrible seams along UV islands. even if you make a second UV set, unwrap to a single island with and tell the texture to use that UV the normal map node wont give a shit and still use the top most when making the normal vector

Anonymous No. 947925

let's say i posed my character and made some equipment on it while posed, when i weight paint the equipment it deforms but goes back if i clear the pose, how can i revert this so that it deforms when i go back to the original pose and looks correctly (before weight painting) when i pose it?

Anonymous No. 947927

>>947925
so i tried duplicating the armature and applying rest pose, now if i could somehow transform this armature so that it looks exactly like its old rest pose i could apply the armature on the object, but i can't find any way to transform it back without doing it manual

Image not available

980x622

10minutes.png

Anonymous No. 947955

am i doing something right, /bg/?

Image not available

1886x922

Screenshot from 2....png

Anonymous No. 947962

I'd really like to see a Blender Eevee viewer for web-browsers. It doesn't need to be fancy, just something that lets you drag-and-drop a blend file into the web-browser and it displays your static blender scene. There are tons of these for various 3d model formats, but none that I'm aware of that can take a blend file.

Image not available

402x262

nig.png

Anonymous No. 947967

WAGMI